Safin clowns his way past Gong 6-4 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Safin clowns his way past Gong 6-4 6-4

Burrow
10-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Had so many chances to win it a lot easier but he decided on giving his fans more tennis to watch for an extra three quarters of an hour.

Gong can hit a pretty good ball but tactically he was all over the place, Tursunov style at times.

marquez
10-12-2009, 01:55 PM
doesn't posting results too early here mean that you will get some serious warnings?

out_here_grindin
10-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Gong's gonna break!!

UsD.AnDreS
10-12-2009, 01:58 PM
another "very confident serving out"... a bit irritating..

sammy01
10-12-2009, 01:59 PM
going going gong lol

born_on_clay
10-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Good result for tennis :)

PoliFanAthic
10-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Seemed a bit more than just relaxed, Marat did. And Gong was really poor at times.

Jimnik
10-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Nice draw Marat has here. Today he would have lost to most top 100 players.

He'll have to raise his game next round or hope Cilic/Berdych have one of their off-days.

Byrd
10-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Don't understand how an idiot like Safin can still put pressure on himself when there's no pressure to have, what a dick.

habibko
10-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Don't understand how an idiot like Safin can still put pressure on himself when there's no pressure to have, what a dick.

it's frustrating really, the guy is supposed to enjoy his farewell touneys and play pressure free tennis, he has nothing more to prove at this stage so why getting all this nervous and not enjoy his time? >_>

Vida
10-12-2009, 02:23 PM
because nobody can accuse him of being afraid of a challenge?

rocketassist
10-12-2009, 02:24 PM
It was actually finished when he posted it... :shrug:

rubbERR
10-12-2009, 02:24 PM
if safin gets showcourt place next over some good ranked player it will be terrible day, nothing against guy but i think these chinese guys rating him way too high

he was good once but now he is ranked 86...

last week in chinese open they put him maincourt :lol:

why,marat,why?
10-12-2009, 02:25 PM
You two are both fools. Marat doesn't get nervous, he gets ahead of himself/apathetic. When he is erving for a match, he expects his opponent to bend over and give up (sort of like how he always does...). Unfortunately, he is not good enough to pull these stunts anymore.

Actually...apparently he is. I'd just like to point out that every player he has beaten this year has lost to a 3/4 retired player who no longer trains or cares and is simply finishing out the season to collect a last few pay checks.

HA in the face of all of those players and their fans and all the haters.

Sapeod
10-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Bullshit.

And oooooh, I'm shaking in my size 13's you little 13 year old.
I'm so scared. Where's my prince when I need him :bigcry: :bigcry:

Pleeeeeease, my cat is more threatening than you, you big turd :retard:

Get a life :wavey:

Burrow
10-12-2009, 02:28 PM
:lol: What a hypocrite.

Voo de Mar
10-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Decent scoreline for unknown man of China.

Burrow
10-12-2009, 02:29 PM
You two are both fools. Marat doesn't get nervous, he gets ahead of himself/apathetic. When he is erving for a match, he expects his opponent to bend over and give up (sort of like how he always does...). Unfortunately, he is not good enough to pull these stunts anymore.

Actually...apparently he is. I'd just like to point out that every player he has beaten this year has lost to a 3/4 retired player who no longer trains or cares and is simply finishing out the season to collect a last few pay checks.

He does get nervous, if you've ever played tennis you could easily tell from his chokes this year that he has became very, very nervous. And to confirm it, he has stated umpteen times in press conferences that the nerves have got the better of him because he is "desperate" to win.

Byrd
10-12-2009, 02:29 PM

This shit actually makes my eyes bleed...

Jimnik
10-12-2009, 02:32 PM
if safin gets showcourt place next over some good ranked player it will be terrible day, nothing against guy but i think these chinese guys rating him way too high

he was good once but now he is ranked 86...

last week in chinese open they put him maincourt :lol:
Show courts are for players fans want to watch. It's not just about rankings.

If the Chinese and international TV viewers would rather watch Safin than Davydenko, why go by rankings?

Sapeod
10-12-2009, 02:33 PM
:lol: What a hypocrite.
stfu, burro. go get a life, please and stop being such an clown :retard:

marquez
It was actually finished when he posted it... :shrug:

okay then half of the forum has a 5 minute delay on their score & stream :wavey:

rubbERR
Show courts are for players fans want to watch. It's not just about rankings.

If the Chinese and international TV viewers would rather watch Safin than Davydenko, why go by rankings?

i dont understand why, its not like safin is doing anything too special out there.

Burrow
10-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Safin appeals to people, no matter how many forehands he now shanks. It makes no difference, people still want to watch him.

You know, everything isn't like MTF, where people only care about the highest ranked players.

Sapeod
10-12-2009, 02:36 PM
is his last tournament paris??

rubbERR
10-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Safin appeals to people, no matter how many forehands he now shanks. It makes no difference, people still want to watch him.

You know, everything isn't like MTF, where people only care about the highest ranked players.

i dont think he will get showcourt spot wednesday, just way too many high ranked players playing that day.

maratsmaiden
10-12-2009, 02:37 PM

yes... he is playing an exho in Argentina in December, but, Bercy is his last professional tournament. :sad:

Jimnik
10-12-2009, 02:38 PM
i dont understand why, its not like safin is doing anything too special out there.
He's still more of an attraction than most top 10 players. People switch on their TVs to be entertained, not to study quality tennis.

rubbERR
10-12-2009, 02:40 PM
del potro, tsonga, djokovic, nadal are pretty much quaranteed to play showcourt...tsonga only because his opponent is some chinese journeyman.

so 3 spots wide open, why they put only 3 singlesmatches grandstand court anyway?

Sapeod
10-12-2009, 02:40 PM
yes... he is playing an exho in Argentina in December, but, Bercy is his last professional tournament. :sad:
I won't miss him at all.

That said, I feel for all his fans that will miss him.

Burrow
10-12-2009, 02:43 PM
To be honest, I couldn't give a damn what court he is on, he could be playing in the car park for all I care.

maratsmaiden
10-12-2009, 02:45 PM
To be honest, I couldn't give a damn what court he is on, he could be playing in the car park for all I care.

:yeah: and i would still search for an hour to find a stream to watch it :o

out_here_grindin
10-12-2009, 02:48 PM
Burrow, have you ever seen Safin play in person?

mickymouse
10-12-2009, 02:51 PM
He hit an ace, Gong challenged it and hawkeye confirmed it was in and he got the point. What on earth was that argument with the umpire about? :scratch:

why,marat,why?
10-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Burro, I understand nerves. I argue that a player only chokes because they care about winning the match. Marat does not care about winning the match. I do not remember after which tournament exactly, US Open I think, he said he does not care about losing anymore. So how can people say he chokes? He just does not care enough to gather himself and focus. He goes "crazy" (I hate to use such dreadfully cliche language, but I feel I must on MTF).

And to individual whose eyes are bleeding, face the facts. He admits that he is only competing because his agent gave him an "offer <he> couldn't turn down." Read between the lines and google a few photos of him from this season. The hookah does the talkin.'

maratsmaiden
10-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Burro, I understand nerves. I argue that a player only chokes because they care about winning the match. Marat does not care about winning the match. I do not remember after which tournament exactly, US Open I think, he said he does not care about losing anymore. So how can people say he chokes? He just does not care enough to gather himself and focus. He goes "crazy" (I hate to use such dreadfully cliche language, but I feel I must on MTF).

And to individual whose eyes are bleeding, face the facts. He admits that he is only competing because his agent gave him an "offer <he> couldn't turn down." Read between the lines and google a few photos of him from this season. The hookah does the talkin.'

While much of what you're saying, in theory is accurate, you are forgetting (imho) that Marat (and all professional athletes) are competitors - bottom line. There will always be a fire to win in his belly - a quote from an interview he did just a few weeks ago: "But I want to win every match, it’s a natural feeling." And not caring about losses is not the same thing as not wanting to win.

So, regardless of the money or any reasons he had for coming back, he can and has choked, because he still wants to win - whether it's for pride, points, or just because it's who he is, that won't go away just because his tennis career is coming to a close.

habibko
10-12-2009, 04:05 PM
to quote Marat himself: "Do you expect me to smile like an idiot on court? Nobody likes to lose, and I can't be relaxed when I see on the scoreboard that I'm loosing and making stupid mistakes. That's just the way I am."

I thought him playing his last matches would make a difference, but that's Safin for you :o

why,marat,why?
10-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Valid points, valid points. Just from personal experience, I've been in a match which I have certainly wanted to win, even been pissed off that I was losing, but I couldn't get myself to [I]care.[I] Ya know? Of course he's trying to win points, but everybody has an inner-well of focus and effort they can draw upon only when they truly care. I question whether Marat's has, metaphorically, run dry.
Regardless, I was too quick to speak earlier. Hahaha of course Marat has choked this season. I think I have forced myself to suppress these memories, having born witness to several of these displays.

Burrow
10-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Burrow, have you ever seen Safin play in person?

yes

Burrow
10-12-2009, 04:34 PM

He does care, any one of his sane fans know he cares, I wish he didn't, but he does, he's just frustrated and bitter from the way his career has developed in the last few years.

You can even tell from just looking at his face at times, it's pretty hard to watch. He did screw some things up earlier in his career, the first one I remember being the AO 2000, but it's a different story now.

maratsmaiden
10-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Valid points, valid points. Just from personal experience, I've been in a match which I have certainly wanted to win, even been pissed off that I was losing, but I couldn't get myself to [I]care.[I] Ya know? Of course he's trying to win points, but everybody has an inner-well of focus and effort they can draw upon only when they truly care. I question whether Marat's has, metaphorically, run dry.
Regardless, I was too quick to speak earlier. Hahaha of course Marat has choked this season. I think I have forced myself to suppress these memories, having born witness to several of these displays.

I understand completely... ;)

I understand what you're saying about mustering up enough energy to really care when you're down, though... and I'm sure you're right that this is part of what's going on in that head of his!

Burrow
10-12-2009, 04:35 PM
:yeah: and i would still search for an hour to find a stream to watch it :o

Absolutely. :yeah: :tape:

Burrow
10-12-2009, 04:38 PM
I understand completely... ;)

I understand what you're saying about mustering up enough energy to really care when you're down, though... and I'm sure you're right that this is part of what's going on in that head of his!

It's kind of got to the stage though that when he screws a lead, he panics, becomes very nervous and in his mind he thinks it is game over although he is trying to battle all of these demons in the heat of the moment. Monfils match was awful, then Lapentti, then Robredo, then Monfils.

octatennis
10-12-2009, 04:43 PM

i read somewhere that he is going to receive a WC to WTF.

maratsmaiden
10-12-2009, 04:47 PM
It's kind of got to the stage though that when he screws a lead, he panics, becomes very nervous and in his mind he thinks it is game over although he is trying to battle all of these demons in the heat of the moment. Monfils match was awful, then Lapentti, then Robredo, then Monfils.

yes, I know. It's so awful to watch. Like, he's trying not to care, but he does, and then he cares too much maybe, or he's just thinking about it too much, and he loses it. I can't even begin to imagine what any of these guys go through in their heads - competing at that level, nevermind our boy, as I have a feeling his thoughts are perhaps more "intense" than some others..

Today though, kind of bothered me too - he just seemd aggravated and like he woke up on the wrong side of the bed or something. I wish he would just relax and enjoy himself a little bit more, you know? For his last few tournaments, I would like to see him having fun and relishing this time, not spending it frustrated. Oh well...

Burrow
10-12-2009, 05:03 PM
yes, I know. It's so awful to watch. Like, he's trying not to care, but he does, and then he cares too much maybe, or he's just thinking about it too much, and he loses it. I can't even begin to imagine what any of these guys go through in their heads - competing at that level, nevermind our boy, as I have a feeling his thoughts are perhaps more "intense" than some others..

Today though, kind of bothered me too - he just seemd aggravated and like he woke up on the wrong side of the bed or something. I wish he would just relax and enjoy himself a little bit more, you know? For his last few tournaments, I would like to see him having fun and relishing this time, not spending it frustrated. Oh well...

Yes, I definitely also think that the fact he was once the top player and a man capable of playing almost flawless tennis a few years ago plays on his mind too, he used to talk about injuries before the knee injury in 2005, so I am pretty sure that he feels aggravated now that he is unable to play the tennis he was once capable of. His movement has just gone.

And I agree, today was weird, there were a lot of these days back when he was 22, when he always looked pissed, and that's what appealed to me about him as well, I found it amusing, entertaining but now it is not good to watch, not now when he is playing 30% of what he used to.

I also think it's a strange behaviour for a man who is about to quit tennis, normally in an athlete, the fire runs out, I still think he is competitive, but it's hard to look as driven as he once was when he has had basically no taste of success since his second slam.

There's been plenty of athletes who have said that the motivation, the desire, the determination and spark has just ran out, I always think of Mike Tyson, who was once an animal, then said that he had no more desire, he said he had the ability to stay in shape but his mind was gone. I know it's boxing, and not the best example but I think that Marat has the opposite problem, I think that he would love to be competing out there, in BIG matches, going deep pretty regularly in tournaments but his body has just not allowed him to.

I often wonder that if he didn't get injured in 2005 and was playing as regularly in 06/07 and maybe 08 as he was in 00/02/04 would his body hold up, I'm sure he'd have been screwed over by some other injury.

maratsmaiden
10-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Yes, I definitely also think that the fact he was once the top player and a man capable of playing almost flawless tennis a few years ago plays on his mind too, he used to talk about injuries before the knee injury in 2005, so I am pretty sure that he feels aggravated now that he is unable to play the tennis he was once capable of. His movement has just gone.

And I agree, today was weird, there were a lot of these days back when he was 22, when he always looked pissed, and that's what appealed to me about him as well, I found it amusing, entertaining but now it is not good to watch, not now when he is playing 30% of what he used to.

I also think it's a strange behaviour for a man who is about to quit tennis, normally in an athlete, the fire runs out, I still think he is competitive, but it's hard to look as driven as he once was when he has had basically no taste of success since his second slam.

There's been plenty of athletes who have said that the motivation, the desire, the determination and spark has just ran out, I always think of Mike Tyson, who was once an animal, then said that he had no more desire, he said he had the ability to stay in shape but his mind was gone. I know it's boxing, and not the best example but I think that Marat has the opposite problem, I think that he would love to be competing out there, in BIG matches, going deep pretty regularly in tournaments but his body has just not allowed him to.

I often wonder that if he didn't get injured in 2005 and was playing as regularly in 06/07 and maybe 08 as he was in 00/02/04 would his body hold up, I'm sure he'd have been screwed over by some other injury.

well said... regarding the bold part above, the commentator on Tennis channel actually said that he spoke with Marat over the last few days and he actually brought that up, saying that he still feels he never fully recovered and could never regain his movement (we all know this, but, how frustrating that must be for him, I can't even imagine).

And I agree 100% - I know that he wishes he could play at that level - you can see it in his eyes and tell when he speaks that he downplays how much he really cares.

Burrow
10-12-2009, 05:43 PM
I think Marat is the sort of person that doesn't want people to make a fuss about him and doesn't really put himself as the favourite for any match. However, I think that he does like a good deal of positive attention and support from fans etc.

This quote from him really sums up his career: "Anytime I started playing well again, I got injured"

The fools who always say "Safin never had the mentality or commitment, he was a headcase and that is why he has done nothing since 2005" are really boring now, because any person with an ounce of sense could tell you that he was an absolute headcase when he was at the top of his game, even more so than now.

straitup
10-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Who the hell is Gong? :lol: Anyway even if it probably wasn't pretty, at least Safin won I guess

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
10-12-2009, 07:59 PM
love the title

FiBeR
10-12-2009, 08:36 PM
somebody asked what was Safin's problem with the umpire..

The umpire at the hawk-eye called the score.. the chinese asked for Hawk-eye and granted it..

Safin complained that he cant grant a hawk eye once he called the score! :p

Turquoise
10-13-2009, 04:37 AM
The female Chinese contingent were desirous of climbing the heights with Safin.

Good to see Safin progressing to second round. If he can keep his first serve percentage to decent level, he will make things easier for himself.