Shanghai R1: F.Mayer def. Petzschner (?!) 6-3 6-2 (?!?!!) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Shanghai R1: F.Mayer def. Petzschner (?!) 6-3 6-2 (?!?!!)

latso
10-12-2009, 01:34 PM
I mean - WTF?:eek:

Florian is a pathetic clayish retriever and Petz should be an agressive inform for the last couple of years high level player....

What went wrong? is it still this neck injury or is it a German affair :rolleyes:

philosophicalarf
10-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Petzs looks like he's cracked under the pressure of defending his Vienna points, which fell off today, and he dropped 40ish ranking spots.

Nasty series of meltdowns too: wins first set vs Berdy at Cinci then collapses in the tiebreak and loses, ditto vs Gil in New Haven, then worst of all after being 2-0 up against JCF at the US Open. Then completely collapse after taking the first set against Gasquet in Metz, and since then he's been flat out appalling, not even getting in the place to meltdown.

I guess, like Safin, for mentally dodgy players these sort of meltdowns become self-perpetuating.

malisha
10-12-2009, 02:05 PM
expected one

malisha
10-12-2009, 02:14 PM
you are underrating Mayer big latso.

He is by far better baseliner and he used to school Petzsch when they were young.
And he can handle the slice well..is suited on the conditions better and matchfit as he won 2 matches in qualys before this one.
Therefore he was the favourite to win this one without a shadow of doubt

philosophicalarf
10-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Mayer will now be higher ranked next week too (1point and 1 spot behind atm!). Just 3 months back Petz was 100 places higher......

marquez
10-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I mean - WTF?:eek:

Florian is a pathetic clayish retriever and Petz should be an agressive inform for the last couple of years high level player....

What went wrong? is it still this neck injury or is it a German affair :rolleyes:

:bs:

pure bullshit my friend

Vicek
10-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Odds dropped to 1.03 on Mayer before the match.

marquez
10-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Mayer will now be higher ranked next week too (1point and 1 spot behind atm!). Just 3 months back Petz was 100 places higher......

mayer has been ranked a lot higher than petzsche all his career before petzsche decided to work harder at the end of 07

jonathancrane
10-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Flo :bigclap:

marquez
10-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Odds dropped to 1.03 on Mayer before the match.

wrong
odds dropped to around 1.7 for mayer before the match because of the injury talk

marquez
10-12-2009, 02:27 PM
btw its pretty funny how most people want to make believe that mayer is a challenger mug while petzsche is a top50 player :cuckoo:
mayer was ranked 33 aged 21, he was ranked inside the top 100 until he had this wrist injury last year

latso
10-12-2009, 02:33 PM
mayer has been ranked a lot higher than petzsche all his career before petzsche decided to work harder
i won't quote your "pure bullshit" post coz it's simply pathetic but if u knew a bit about this sport you would know that Mayer's best ranking ever was 33rd after a lucky quarter final in Wimby in 2004, winning a couple of clay mugs on the way.
Petzs is 36th right now... so a lot higher ranked is just blabla

Opening odds on Pinna were 1.75 for Petz, which already was a bit high but related to his neck injury most probably.

Then the odds for Mayer went down to 1.30 or lower i don't remember exactly.

This is based on the qualities of Florian Mayer? I saw him in Sofia few months ago - the most unexciting player ever. Just defending, nothing at all.
Lost to Minar who had the physical shape of Pavarotti back then.....

Qualies? he won 2 Asian mugs in a row. Have you ever heard of competitive asian players except Lu and Nishikori? It wasn't them...

Grow up and comment based on some facts not just blabla:rolleyes:

Jimnik
10-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Good to see Flo at a TMS again.

Petzschner has had serious mental problems ever since he went two sets up against Ferrero at the USO.

philosophicalarf
10-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Petz went from 1.75 opening to 2.50 at betfair just before the match, that's definitely an injury.

Burrow
10-12-2009, 02:41 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40954000/jpg/_40954895_mayer_getty_245x300.jpg

Vicek
10-12-2009, 02:42 PM
wrong
odds dropped to around 1.7 for mayer before the match because of the injury talk

Maybe It wasn't before the match but 8 000 euros was already traded at 1.03 when Flo was 4-3* ahead in the first set.

Sapeod
10-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Florian is better than this mug Petzschner. Disgraceful player this Picasso has been recently.

marquez
10-12-2009, 02:47 PM
i won't quote your "pure bullshit" post coz it's simply pathetic but if u knew a bit about this sport you would know that Mayer's best ranking ever was 33rd after a lucky quarter final in Wimby in 2004, winning a couple of clay mugs on the way.

Opening odds on Pinna were 1.75 for Petz, which already was a bit high but related to his neck injury most probably.

This is based on the qualities of Florian Mayer? I saw him in Sofia few months ago - the most unexciting player ever. Just defending, nothing at all.

Qualies? he won 2 Asian mugs in a row. Have you ever heard of competitive asian players except Lu and Nishikori? It wasn't them...

well I know them both since they were 12, watched them practise and followed them closely until now(though there was a time when it was hard to get useful information for petzschner). its great that you watched a match at your local challenger that qualifies you for sharing your opinion about mayers qualities...
I like petzschner a lot but his good ranking until last week(hes #78 right now) depends on the 600 points he received for his win as a qualifier in vienna last year which was a great run of course. but you surely cant be serious when you talk about petzschner being an "for the last couple of years high level player", he has played mostly challengers until the middle of 2008 where he finally managed to have the success that is possible for a guy with his talent. I can give you one year on the highest level, which isn't too much considered to mayers 5 years. you cant tell me that the fact that mayer had to play qualis and has beaten some asian mugs easily, is a reason to rate him any lower. the fact that he is an unexiting player doesn't mean that he isn't good, a lot of people are bored by davydenko, still hes been one of the best players of the last decade.

on the odds: 5dimes had mayer 1 minute before the match started @ 1.71, there was a delay because of the rain and they put the line up again 15 minutes before th match started. it might have been deifferent at pinnacle, but I doubt that as 5dimes' odds are very similar to the pinnacle odds usually

latso
10-12-2009, 02:47 PM
In his last 4 matches Petz served 2 aces while before the injury - 16 in one match in Metz.

Injury 100%. I was just hoping that with the week off, chinese massages and this set he took off Safin, he would have been better.

Anyways, injury case. One more mega easy round for the luckiest player on earth - Tommy Robredo :rolleyes:

malisha
10-12-2009, 02:48 PM

2 matches are two matches in a row and Petzsch didnt have any
Petzsch serve was awful in his last 2 matches(2 aces both)

You call others talking blabla and you judge a player by watching one match:haha:..too good

Flos dropshots are thing of beauty and Petzsch is a clown with a raquet mate.

hope this helps

Euroquitter
10-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Nice win for Florian!
But not unexpected at all, Philipp wasnt doing really well the whole summer, now that the Vienna points are off he dropped in rankings anyway and will be even behind Mayer next week!

Hope to see Florian in top 50 again soon, he has a great game when he is on! :D

malisha
10-12-2009, 02:50 PM
One more mega easy round for the luckiest player on earth - Tommy Robredo :rolleyes:

great line latso:cool:

have some rep:angel:

marquez
10-12-2009, 02:51 PM
In his last 4 matches Petz served 2 aces while before the injury - 16 in one match in Metz.

Injury 100%. I was just hoping that with the week off, chinese massages and this set he took off Safin, he would have been better.

Anyways, injury case. One more mega easy round for the luckiest player on earth - Tommy Robredo :rolleyes:

I doubt that it will be mega easy
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=MB02&oId=R419

flo had mps in their last meeting if I remember it correctly
but I agree with you on boredos luck :yeah:
at least we've both got some hate for him :shrug:

Sapeod
10-12-2009, 02:53 PM

you are talking a load of bullshit. have you seen Mayer that often? You've seen one match?? Oh wow :rolleyes: How can you put a player down and make statements about him after watching only one match?????? :retard:

Get a clue, you utter clown :retard:

latso
10-12-2009, 02:55 PM
well I know them both since the were 12, watched them practise and followed them closely until now(though there was a time when it was hard to get useful information for petzschner). its great that you watched a match at your local challenger that qualifies you for sharing your opinion about mayers qualities...
I like petzschner a lot but his good ranking until last week(hes #78 right now) depends on the 600 points he received for his win as a qualifier in vienna last year which was a great run of course. but you surely cant be serious when you talk about petzschner being an "for the last couple of years high level player", he has played mostly challengers until the middle of 2008 where he finally managed to have the success that is possible for a guy with his talent. I can give you one year on the highest level, which isn't too much considered to mayers 5 years. you cant tell me that the fact that mayer had to play qualis and has beaten some asian mugs easily, is a reason to rate him any lower. the fact that he is an unexiting player doesn't mean that he isn't good, a lot of people are bored b davydenko, still hes been one of the best players of the last decade.

on the odds: 5dimes had mayer 1 minute before the match started @ 1.71, there was a delay because of the rain and they put the line up again 15 minutes before th match started. it might have been deifferent at pinnacle, but I doubt that as 5dimes' odds are very similar to the pinnacle odds usually
MAybe i am wrong about he exact level of the odds pre-match. It was just an obvious case of shifting from one to the other direction, which was dodgy.

I remember Florian from the early 2000s and tbh he was a much better player back then. He was going for his shots much more, more agressive, etc. now he is just a chalenger player in my eyes.
When i look at his stats this year, losing to no names, etc., it was really hard to see him favourit against Petz, really.
Maybe they are similar level effective tennis wise, but Petz has been playing serious tennis for the last, OK - 1 year let's say.

Otherwise, i have been watching Flo since the beggining and had the possibility to watch him in Sofia. Not as close as your vision on him, but let's say - enough to make a certain evaluation.

If you're fully honest for yourself, you should agree that 6-3 6-2 is not a result comming from the big advantage of Flo over Petz, as imo he has none at the moment. At best they should be 50-50.

And i mentionned the Asian qualifiers mainly to underline that going through the qualies here wasn't smth to give him so much credit for.

Cheers

marquez
10-12-2009, 02:58 PM
MAybe i am wrong about he exact level of the odds pre-match. It was just an obvious case of shifting from one to the other direction, which was dodgy.

I remember Florian from the early 2000s and tbh he was a much better player back then. He was going for his shots much more, more agressive, etc. now he is just a chalenger player in my eyes.
When i look at his stats this year, losing to no names, etc., it was really hard to see him favourit against Petz, really.
Maybe they are similar level effective tennis wise, but Petz has been playing serious tennis for the last, OK - 1 year let's say.

Otherwise, i have been watching Flo since the beggining and had the possibility to watch him in Sofia. Not as close as your vision on him, but let's say - enough to make a certain evaluation.

If you're fully honest for yourself, you should agree that 6-3 6-2 is not a result comming from the big advantage of Flo over Petz, as imo he has none at the moment. At best they should be 50-50.

And i mentionned the Asian qualifiers mainly to underline that going through the qualies here wasn't smth to give him so much credit for.

Cheers

we can agree on that
should have been closer, wasn't(obviously because of petzsches problems with his serve).

malisha
10-12-2009, 02:59 PM
yeah...but anyone can play these days...even that guy who played with Safin was ripping his forehand

Florian is on good way to become a player he once was

and in 2004 Wimbeldon he beated Pim Pim who is not a grasscourt mug...neither was Wayne Arthurs and Wayne Ferreria

latso
10-12-2009, 03:02 PM

but I agree with you on boredos luck :yeah:
at least we've both got some hate for him :shrug:
onestly, i'd be happy Florian to take this mug off the court but i saw Boredo and he was good today.
Solid serve, solid baseline, jumping around as a clown (as usual) but he's feckin' effective.

If Petz couldn't hold it in the rallies against Flo (low percntage of second serve points won), Boredo surely can and Flo saved a bunch of BPs in today's match.

Dunno, feels like too early for Flo to be rated as an option in such a match in such a level tournament. Maybe next year.

For me should be an easy 2-0 Boredo. Smth like Radko "hot lips" Stepanek did to JCF today.
If we compare the styles, they match perfectly.

Cheers

malisha
10-12-2009, 03:04 PM
onestly, i'd be happy Florian to take this mug off the court but i saw Boredo and he was good today.
Solid serve, solid baseline, jumping around as a clown (as usual) but he's feckin' effective.

i heard Mika was injured and was barely moving and serving:rolleyes:

is that true?

latso
10-12-2009, 03:22 PM
i heard Mika was injured and was barely moving and serving:rolleyes:

is that true?
well, he wasn't great but he wasn't in obvious pain or smth.
He was serving ok, Boredo was block-returning decent and Llodra seemed slow, not being in position for the volleys.
Otherwise there were some rallies where it was obvious that Robredo is the better player (let's say from his second serve), taking control, distributing, not rushing and concluding them.

Llodra's serve has surely been better in the past but he was serving bombs again, just that most of them out with 10-15 cms or in the net.

More like out of form Llodra than injured one tbh

Bilbo
10-12-2009, 03:23 PM
expected one

malisha
10-12-2009, 03:25 PM
well, he wasn't great but he wasn't in obvious pain or smth.
He was serving ok, Boredo was block-returning decent and Llodra seemed slow, not being in position for the volleys.
Otherwise there were some rallies where it was obvious that Robredo is the better player (let's say from his second serve), taking control, distributing, not rushing and concluding them.

Llodra's serve has surely been better in the past but he was serving bombs again, just that most of them out with 10-15 cms or in the net.

More like out of form Llodra than injured one tbh

cheers for the report

well he fired 18 aces against Marach in 2 sets and only few today..and some posters said he was barely moving and that he called the doctor after the match.Llodra is terrible matchup for Boredo in theory.

scarecrows
10-12-2009, 03:28 PM

yes, the tool had MPs in the 2nd set of that 1st round match, then Boredo won the title and qualified for TMC
I still consider FunkyFlo the culprit for that disgrace

latso
10-12-2009, 03:33 PM
cheers for the report

well he fired 18 aces against Marach in 2 sets and only few today..and some posters said he was barely moving and that he called the doctor after the match.Llodra is terrible matchup for Boredo in theory.
Well, sometimes it's hard to say wether it has been a pain or bad form, coz if he's not limping or smth, the result is the same.
Could have been an injury if he's called a doc, he's been struggling with them for quite some time now. I just counted on his qualies couple of wins, assuming he should be better.

About the match up - yeah, surely a good Llodra should be a hard nut for Tommy. Here is a preview i wrote pre-match -

There can't be such a huge gap between these two. 3,51 is way too much, even though it will most probably keep rising.
Normally Lldora's agressive serve and volley, chip and charge style is not what Robredo could feel comfortable with as he'd rather prefer a mixed style player imo.
Llodra won once against Tommy and lost once. This is the history of their H2H matches on paper. But there is more to consider here.
Llodra's win is back in 2004, he was better ranked then, healthier, etc. But it was a convincing win nevertheless and i count a lot on styles comparison when trying to figure out the eventual outcome of a match. And Llodra's style obviously has been once, back in the days - uncomfortable for Robredo.
The other one was one of these dodgy, odds slashing matches, that you watch and feel disgusted from.
It was in Lyon 2008, where the odds on Robredo went down a lot, there were a lot of discussions about it, Robredo won 2-0 one break per set but it was somehow obvious Llodra isn't playing good, not even trying much, which was the least to say...
Afterwards there were comments about Llodra's eventual injury but it was a dodgy match anyways.
Here, i see no rumours about any injuries and Llodra went through teh qualies, which gives him already a slight advantage, being heaten up with the surface and everything around.
When he is playing good, he is a danger for any unperfect passser/returner and these are not Robredo's main assets.
I certainly believe that Michael on a good day can dispose off Robredo and him being warmed up, i will give it a try at these juicy odds.

Bet lost, shit happens :)

malisha
10-12-2009, 03:35 PM
you sholud know that their previous match was not suspicious but fixed;)
i clearly remember that game in 2. set where he tanked it with 2 DF-S and easy sitter missed
good writeup though..i also wrote one but rather smallish

as for todays injury look at this thread
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=152705

latso
10-12-2009, 03:40 PM
i clearly remember that game in 2. set where he tanked it with 2 DF-S and easy sitter missed
good writeup though..i also wrote one but rather smallish
I prefer to avoid the word "fixed" as it's overused nowadays, but it clearly felt like one.
And thanks :)

sorry for the off topic though :angel:

*Jean*
10-12-2009, 04:22 PM
WOW Florian! :eek: Amazing result. He's back :hearts:

GlennMirnyi
10-12-2009, 04:47 PM
you are underrating Mayer big latso.

He is by far better baseliner and he used to school Petzsch when they were young.
And he can handle the slice well..is suited on the conditions better and matchfit as he won 2 matches in qualys before this one.
Therefore he was the favourite to win this one without a shadow of doubt

He's underrating Mayer, but still he wasn't the favorite for this match, unless you take a possible Picasso injury in consideration.

btw its pretty funny how most people want to make believe that mayer is a challenger mug while petzsche is a top50 player :cuckoo:
mayer was ranked 33 aged 21, he was ranked inside the top 100 until he had this wrist injury last year

Mayer is one of the biggest mugs ever.

About the match, I'm sure the time difference helped Mayer hit his 3-hour-long-swing forehands.

JMG
10-12-2009, 05:13 PM

Petzschner plays way better dropshots than Mayer, son.

CooCooCachoo
10-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Florian is a good player, but for Philipp to lose this easily against him on this surface is just evidencing how out of form he is. It's sad to see, because this is the time of the season when he should start to peak.

straitup
10-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Petzschner continues to be the most overhyped player on MTF...apparently he's not supposed to lose any match he plays, even though he isn't even that good

Henry Chinaski
10-12-2009, 06:08 PM

that match was disgusting.

good to see flo getting some decent results lately. though prickasso isn't much of a scalp.

Raquel
10-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Well done Flo :hearts:
He was ranked 450 in January and has done really well to climb back into the top 80 in 10 months :)

marquez
10-12-2009, 07:51 PM

have to agree with jmg here, petzsche has the better touch...

Deivid23
10-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Clowns match

Deivid23
10-12-2009, 09:25 PM

For you that clown plays better than Borg and Sampras combined, son