Shanghai R1: Gonzo def. Zverev 7-5 6-7(0) 2-2 Ret [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Shanghai R1: Gonzo def. Zverev 7-5 6-7(0) 2-2 Ret

Dini
10-12-2009, 01:23 PM
:sad:

He fell on the ground, hurt his wrist it seemed. His serving was WTA like in speed and placement after the medical timeout but he was still volleying beautifully. But clearly it was still hurting and at 2-2* (Ad to Zverev) Gonzo hit a second lob and that was end of match. Sad to see that but I loved how he S&Vd every point.

S&V is not dead.

rubbERR
10-12-2009, 01:24 PM
you should put reason to retirement too otherwise he will be bashed, i know what it was but most of people probably doesnt know so its always good to put it

JMG
10-12-2009, 01:25 PM
What reason?

rubbERR
10-12-2009, 01:27 PM
he fell on floor and hurt his hand/wrist.

jonas
Lucky Gonzo. With this kind of form, he doesn't deserve WTF.

FlameOn
I stopped watching after the second set, what was the problem?

Sapeod
10-12-2009, 01:29 PM
lucky lucky gonzomug. zverev had him on the ropes. too bad for german mug.

Dini
10-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Original Post has been edited.

Darn it he looked ready to take Gonzo down.

JMG
10-12-2009, 01:30 PM
he fell on floor and hurt his hand/wrist.

Sounds bad. I thought it wouldn't be that bad, as some posters like Machiavelli were laughing about the retirement. :cuckoo:

Machiavelli
10-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Sounds bad. I thought it wouldn't be that bad, as some posters like Machiavelli were laughing about the retirement. :cuckoo:

I had a bet on Gonzo amigo...

Of course Zverev plays his best match in a long time when I am against him, nice S&V, he should do this way more often, serve needs improvement, and his fitness too, you fanboy... The njury is tough luck, Gonzo was ready to be taken out...

Dini
10-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Zverev does S&V quite a lot. :shrug:

In Rome this year against Federer on clay he was S&Ving on nearly every point in the first set.

born_on_clay
10-12-2009, 01:36 PM
OMG it's a shame Gonzo isn't in good form right now
His chances for qualifying to WTF aren't looking good

malisha
10-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Gonzo is very limited player

Zverev was serving 99% of his weak serves on his backhand never even once changed it and Gonzo was unable to read it:lol:

FlameOn
10-12-2009, 01:39 PM
He played pretty well up until second-set tiebreak actually. :lol: Lots of awesome forehand cross-court passes on the run. Awesome point on set-point as well.

S&V is so overrated. :shrug: It's fine on some points but not every point, where's the interest in that? I'm glad I didn't grow up in the era where most players did it by default.

malisha
10-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Zverev does S&V quite a lot. :shrug:

some really great volleys from him but his serve is not good for a s/v player

Dini
10-12-2009, 01:40 PM
It's personal preference.

I love seeing volleys and net approaches. :shrug:

FlameOn
10-12-2009, 01:42 PM
It's personal preference.

I love seeing volleys and net approaches. :shrug:
Volleys are great. :D I guess prefer to be surprised by them though. ;)

None of my faves are natural volleyers really but they rarely embarrass themselves when the come to the net. It's all about balance. :D

Dini
10-12-2009, 01:45 PM
If you're a great volleyer and have more than a decent serve then by all means S&V every point. :drool:

There's nothing wrong with having a few balls go past you, just like it's OK to hit an unforced error. Take matters in your own hands and ask the opponent the question. Of course mixing it up a little would help too to keep him guessing, but if the formula works, why change it?

Sinerra
10-12-2009, 01:46 PM
The first 2 sets had some really great rallies! Zverev was really good playing serve and volley.

It looked bad when he fell in the first game of the 3rd set. He couldnt use his right hand. Gonzo took advantage of that and played every ball to Zverevs backhand. The only thing Zverev could do was to slice every backhand and come to the net. He was brave to keep playing and winning his own service games, but when Gonzo started to lob whenever he came to the net, it was too much.
He also had an abs injury, so he could serve very well and smash. He even had to use hís left hand to shake hands with Gonzalez at the end...:sad:

If I remember correctly Zverev went 64 times to the net, he won 40 points there. But didnt have much choice in the end. He had to come to the net so he didnt have to use his right hand

Action Jackson
10-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Quite a fun match, but Zverev really had a crack, too bad he couldn't complete the match, ab problem as well as the landing on the wrist.

leng jai
10-12-2009, 01:58 PM
This injury is good for the game. Can't have clowns serving and volleying these days.

philosophicalarf
10-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Zverev was serving 90-95mph first serves. All credit to him for fighting hard against a top10(ish) guy without a serve, and with his horrendous form lately.

Gonzo in the tiebreak was hilarious, after he doublefaulted he went nuts, doublefaulted again as he tried for a 2nd serve ace, then went into his full-blast adolescent hiteverything300mph mode and lost it to zero.

Nidhogg
10-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Shame about the injury. Zverev looked to be in a good spot.

xohxmyx
10-12-2009, 02:20 PM
yeah fena cracked the shits in the TB....he really should work on that

i thought it was a shame he had to retire Zverev he played very well...but at the end of the match the camera wen on his wrist and you could see that it was really swollen so it must have hurt very badly...full credit for him hanging in there....and as for feña he played great in the 1st...then lost his mind in TB he will have to play better if he wants to go further!!

SelvenluvJo
10-12-2009, 02:44 PM
mischa played so well, unfortunately...

ClaudiuS
10-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Gonzo was very lucky.

straitup
10-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Zverev won 2 games in the last set? That's 2 more than I expected :eek: :o He's just never destined to win a 3 set match again :lol:

ChinoRios4Ever
10-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Gonzo is pathetic nowadays, he seems to doesn't care about it, it's really annoying for his fans. :mad:

Bad for Zverev :hug:

Bellucci has a shot tomorrow, if not PMK will kill him in R3. :wavey:

MZverev-Fan
10-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Mischa said, that his hand is broken and that he have to take a break of 8 weeks.

Sinerra
10-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Mischa said, that his hand is broken and that he have to take a break of 8 weeks.

:sad:

Aenea
10-16-2009, 05:09 PM

:eek: broken? Really?
yes he fall pretty bad but I never thought he might have injured his hand to such a degree it looked to me he had a groin/stomach strain but a broken hand ... too bad, yes :sad:

Speedy recovery, Misha :wavey:

Truc
10-16-2009, 05:57 PM
He says the wrist is broken.
http://www.abendblatt.de/sport/article1233685/Handgelenk-gebrochen-die-Saison-ist-gelaufen.html
He'll have a plaster for 4 weeks and then a splint for 4 more weeks, so a break of 8 weeks sounds optimistic.
But he does say at the end that he hopes to be able to resume the training in December to get ready for the Australian tourney.

Edit: I just realized it's the right wrist, so I guess it's feasible.

Sunset of Age
10-16-2009, 06:01 PM
^^ that's a rather nasty injury :(. Hope he manages to get well again in time for the AO.

Dini
10-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Speedy recovery Mischa.

Was surprised to see this thread bumped but figured it would be something serious, and unfortunately that is the case. :(

Jelena
10-16-2009, 10:13 PM
He says the wrist is broken.
http://www.abendblatt.de/sport/article1233685/Handgelenk-gebrochen-die-Saison-ist-gelaufen.html
He'll have a plaster for 4 weeks and then a splint for 4 more weeks, so a break of 8 weeks sounds optimistic.
But he does say at the end that he hopes to be able to resume the training in December to get ready for the Australian tourney.

Edit: I just realized it's the right wrist, so I guess it's feasible.
He also said it's the worst bone to heal, but it's on the best possible point broken.

Get well soon Mischa!

but-it's-ok
10-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Mischa:sad::sad: Wish him a speedy recovery,hope he's fully fit for AO.