Is Djokovic getting back on track? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Djokovic getting back on track?

Start da Game
10-11-2009, 07:26 PM
lately, the buzz has mostly been about nadal's injuries, federer's history, murray's failures, delpotro's conquer.......djokovic, who has been out of rhythm, short of confidence, has had not that bad results this year, reaching several semis and losing to better players most of the times.......now he has quietly won the china open in an impressive fashion and has set his sight on the next few big events........

no matter how many top players miss the event, a victory as big as a masters title adds confidence to a player who has been struggling for quite some time now from title drought.......can he restore his fortunes by finishing off the season on an impressive note and rediscover his early 2008 form? he is one of those players who i just wish had a little more mental resistance, because he is a real talent.......

petar_pan
10-11-2009, 07:28 PM
could be, but who knows

born_on_clay
10-11-2009, 07:29 PM
I hope he really is :)

Sapeod
10-11-2009, 07:29 PM
He won an MM tourney. He's still the same old faker who will always be a one slam wonder.

GlennMirnyi
10-11-2009, 07:33 PM
:lol:

Faker wins a MM title and suddenly he's "back on track".

Unless "back on track" actually means being a one-slam wonder who bottles at big tournaments. Then, you could really say he's back on track.

Ad Wim
10-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Yeah, he is finally becoming a factor again. People start to notice him again and he wins a lot, has the most wins of anybody this year. Very good!

Ad Wim
10-11-2009, 07:45 PM

Unless "back on track" actually means being a one-slam wonder who bottles at big tournaments. Then, you could really say he's back on track.

Yeah, a guy who reaches 4 of 7 TMS finals this season really bottles at big tournaments :rolleyes:

GlennMirnyi
10-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Yeah, a guy who reaches 4 of 7 TMS finals this season really bottles at big tournaments :rolleyes:

GS = important tournaments.

Outfielder
10-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Not yet.
His game is still far from good.

Ad Wim
10-11-2009, 07:48 PM
You're old-fashioned, living in the 70s and 80s. Right now, not all is about the Grand Slams anymore. But I admit, that he has been disappointing in Grand Slams this year, except for the US Open. Then again, the last two years were great on GS-level...

munZe konZa
10-11-2009, 07:53 PM
how did he get on track, by beating Chile and Soda ?

You have to be kidding, he has long ways to go where his talent fits. When he wins next grand slam and masters title then we can discuss this

Sapeod
10-11-2009, 07:57 PM

You have to be kidding, he has long ways to go where his talent fits. When he wins next grand slam and masters title then we can discuss this
we will never discuss it then

GlennMirnyi
10-11-2009, 07:59 PM
You're old-fashioned, living in the 70s and 80s. Right now, not all is about the Grand Slams anymore. But I admit, that he has been disappointing in Grand Slams this year, except for the US Open. Then again, the last two years were great on GS-level...

No, I'm realistic.

Nobody cares about TMSs.

Noleta
10-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Lol go easy,he only won a 500 event:)

jcempire
10-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Of course

Now he got confident back

out_here_grindin
10-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Of course

Now he got confident back

I'm bringing confident back, yeah!

jcempire
10-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Lol go easy,he only won a 500 event:)

The Umpire suck otherWise He got a great chance one and half months ago in USOPEN To upset Fed.

Only 500????

He got a lot of Master Title so far in his career

scarecrows
10-11-2009, 08:33 PM
The Umpire suck otherWise He got a great chance one and half months ago in USOPEN To upset Fed.

no chance, easy for fedmeister

Brick Top
10-11-2009, 08:40 PM
one is better than none:smoke:

Sapeod
10-11-2009, 08:43 PM
one is better than none:smoke:
at the end of their careers, murray will have won much more than djokovic.

Brick Top
10-11-2009, 08:46 PM

well im not a prophet like you:),but we`ll see!

Lurking
10-11-2009, 08:57 PM

Even if that were true he'd still be a big tournament bottler.

The last time he wasn't taking advantage of freak circumstances was in IW 2008, that's far too long ago for someone who wants to be considered a serious contender.

Sapeod
10-11-2009, 09:01 PM
well im not a prophet like you:),but we`ll see!
we will see.

Certinfy
10-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Of course :)

Farrow
10-11-2009, 10:31 PM
He's getting it back, probably, but is still far from the level he is capable of. Soon, though, he'll get there.

whattheheck
10-11-2009, 10:38 PM
He is. He's no.3 again now.

Time Violation
10-11-2009, 10:43 PM

Seems you are spending too much time on WTA forums. You sound exactly like Serena and Venus fans with that "GS-only" attitude. :cool:

luie
10-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Did he fake an injury during the tourny ,if yes he is getting back on track,if not he is still a struggling to do what he does best FAKE.

Leo
10-11-2009, 11:15 PM
I think the fashion in which Djokovic lost to Federer at the US Open was worrisome for Djokovic fans. He never looked confident like he could win, not even with the 4-2 lead in the 1st set. It reminded me of many of Davydenko's losses to Federer, like at Roland Garros in '07 - straight sets but each set was close and many, many opportunities blown.

Djokovic needs to start beating the other top guys in important tournaments to be "back." This means Murray, Federer, Nadal, and now Del Potro (although he has never lost to JMDP before). This tournament win in China is only so impressive. In fact, it's the third example in the past year of him cleaning up a tournament after better players went out, i.e. the TMC last season and Dubai this season.

luie
10-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Hmmmm fakervic getting back on track,I'am of the impression if one gets mono ,said indiviual can't get it again if thats the case fakervic will never get back on track.It's so coincidental that the ONLY time fakervic beat fed at a slam he was looking like a zombie & was hospitalized some days before. Go figure.

Manon
10-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Hmmmm fakervic getting back on track,I'am of the impression if one gets mono ,said indiviual can't get it again if thats the case fakervic will never get back on track.It's so coincidental that the ONLY time fakervic beat fed at a slam he was looking like a zombie & was hospitalized some days before. Go figure.

Never happened. Yes, go figure.

yellowboy906
10-11-2009, 11:42 PM
He won an MM tourney. He's still the same old faker who will always be a one slam wonder.

roddick, djokovic and del potro as a one slam wonder is much better than murray as a no slam wonder. it pains me to say this cause i like murray a lot.:sad: but until murray join the one slam wonder group, he's a joke.:mad::sad::mad::sad::mad::sad::mad:

stebs
10-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Djokovic was never off track. The major letdown he had all year was at RG with the defeat to Kohli. Other than that, he did ok in the AO, not great but not shocking, he had an awesome clay season in which he was overall the second best performer and was only beaten by Rafa in AMS events, he had a decent GS season with only defeats coming to in form Haas who has a good grass game, his hardcourt swing was fine with a RU in Cinci and SF at the USO, losing to Federer both times.

Where was this missing Djokvoic idea? He had one bad match against Kohli and it seemed like the 4 hour loss to Nadal dented his confidence but it was just one bad tourney. There was no extended slump at all.

malisha
10-12-2009, 12:00 AM
He is deliberately changing his style to become more physical and to defend better but he is not build for running around like a rabbit all the time.

this have been said thousand times here...he rarely flatters out his strokes now...only against Nadal it looks agressive...against other opposition he is often the one who runs and force his opposition to make UE. When he was agressive he was winning Masters and Slams.

Maybe he will improve his new style and with confidance and just by winning matches reach his old level but i always liked his raw attacking tennis better than this "smart" one

n8
10-12-2009, 12:04 AM
Djokovic has won more matches this year (63) and made more finals (8) than any other player. He's done very well in ATP500's (two titles) and has made four Masters finals. He just needs a 1000 pointer or more (Grand Slam final, Masters win) to be really back.

petar_pan
10-12-2009, 08:52 AM

it's all about GS. TMS is nothing. just GS is the real thing.

Sapeod
10-12-2009, 08:54 AM
roddick, djokovic and del potro as a one slam wonder is much better than murray as a no slam wonder. it pains me to say this cause i like murray a lot.:sad: but until murray join the one slam wonder group, he's a joke.:mad::sad::mad::sad::mad::sad::mad:
why are you saying this? has nothing to do with my post or the thread. trying to annoy me?

FAIL

petar_pan
10-12-2009, 08:55 AM

same story with cilic is.

zcess81
10-12-2009, 09:25 AM

Better than no slam wonder Murray :)

zcess81
10-12-2009, 09:28 AM

Sure...but it's not all about grand slams, is it? Why not only have GS then? Players are judged by their GS performances, sure, but to win a major event like that you have to do well in other tournaments too...you build confidence from smaller to bigger events. Seems pretty obvious.

Mimi
10-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Sure...but it's not all about grand slams, is it? Why not only have GS then? Players are judged by their GS performances, sure, but to win a major event like that you have to do well in other tournaments too...you build confidence from smaller to bigger events. Seems pretty obvious.

long time no see, :D:wavey:

zcess81
10-12-2009, 09:30 AM

Until then...Novak = one slam wonder...Murray = no slam wonder.

zcess81
10-12-2009, 09:34 AM
I think the fashion in which Djokovic lost to Federer at the US Open was worrisome for Djokovic fans. He never looked confident like he could win, not even with the 4-2 lead in the 1st set. It reminded me of many of Davydenko's losses to Federer, like at Roland Garros in '07 - straight sets but each set was close and many, many opportunities blown.

Djokovic needs to start beating the other top guys in important tournaments to be "back." This means Murray, Federer, Nadal, and now Del Potro (although he has never lost to JMDP before). This tournament win in China is only so impressive. In fact, it's the third example in the past year of him cleaning up a tournament after better players went out, i.e. the TMC last season and Dubai this season.

I hope you're kidding. TMC features 8 best players (and he beat Del Porto too). OK, he didn't play Murray or Fed...but Nadal on HC will more often than not lose to Novak...Novak is simply better HC player than Nadal and he knows it. While he may be more worried about Fed or in form Murray, he's not worried as much about Nadal on HC....and I am a huge Nadal fan, but it's just the way it is.

So, basically if a player doesn't play Fed or Murray in the final, he's not a worth winner.

It never cieses to amaze me what how quickly people change their minds. I remember during that TMC last year EVERYONE was saying throughout the tournament how Davydenko was the best player in that tournament, given how he trashed all his opponents (including Murray), and everyone was predicting how he would trash Novak too...but when Novak beat him, those same people were saying "oh, but he ONLY beat Davydenko"...funny :)

zcess81
10-12-2009, 09:39 AM
long time no see, :D:wavey:

Yeah:) How have you been? Hope MTF has been treating you well:)

Sapeod
10-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Until then...Novak = one slam wonder...Murray = no slam wonder.
fair enough...but only in slams...

on rest of tour, not atm.

zcess81
10-12-2009, 09:42 AM
He is deliberately changing his style to become more physical and to defend better but he is not build for running around like a rabbit all the time.

this have been said thousand times here...he rarely flatters out his strokes now...only against Nadal it looks agressive...against other opposition he is often the one who runs and force his opposition to make UE. When he was agressive he was winning Masters and Slams.

Maybe he will improve his new style and with confidance and just by winning matches reach his old level but i always liked his raw attacking tennis better than this "smart" one

Mee too...I really hope he goes back to that kind of play sooner rather than later...afterall I don't want another Murray or Simon.

zcess81
10-12-2009, 09:45 AM

Hehe...you live in a dream world. TMS is nothing lol? I really have no idea how difficult it is to win one. Yes GS are most important, but MS series is very important tournaments and ANY player dreams of winning them...that includes Fed and NADAL.

zcess81
10-12-2009, 09:46 AM
fair enough...but only in slams...

on rest of tour, not atm.

You want to count their TMS titles?

Last time I checked Murray had 4 and Novak had 5
Plus Novak was in 6 masters series finals where he ended up as a runner-up.

Who's had better career so far?

You wanna look at their gs record apart from Novak's win?

Novak was in 5 semi-finals...Murray was in one final and only ONE semi final.

results speak for themselves.

Sapeod
10-12-2009, 09:49 AM
You want to count their TMS titles?

Last time I checked Murray had 4 and Novak had 5
Both have 4 MS titles, but I think Muzz has been more solid recently ;)

In MM, it's Murray defo.

Djokovic in slams...

Vida
10-12-2009, 09:53 AM
muray has been figured out. he must reinvent himself, pretty much the same way as did djokovic.

zcess81
10-12-2009, 09:56 AM

In MM, it's Murray defo.

Djokovic in slams...

If you don't count Shangai Masters Cup as masters series then yes, both have 4.

zcess81
10-12-2009, 09:57 AM

In MM, it's Murray defo.

Djokovic in slams...

Recently in MS series, yes he did, but I was talking about their overall career achievements.

Sapeod
10-12-2009, 09:58 AM
If you don't count Shangai Masters Cup as masters series then yes, both have 4.
No, I count Masters cup as an individual tourney, since it gives our different no.1 of points than MS.

Sapeod
10-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Recently in MS series, yes he did, but I was talking about their overall career achievements.
Pretty close IMO. But tbh and fair, murray takes it :p

just kidding, i guess djokovic takes it.

zcess81
10-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Pretty close IMO. But tbh and fair, murray takes it :p

just kidding, i guess djokovic takes it.

To be honest, Murray's withdrawal due to injury might do him good, even though he lost his no.3 spot. It will get attention away from him for a change and if he underperforms in the remaining tournaments of 2009 he might do well in Australia.

Sapeod
10-12-2009, 10:32 AM
To be honest, Murray's withdrawal due to injury might do him good, even though he lost his no.3 spot. It will get attention away from him for a change and if he underperforms in the remaining tournaments of 2009 he might do well in Australia.
good point, but still him missing an MS when he needs the points is unlucky :sad:

Kiman
10-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Here's the deal - go explain that to all the players on tour so I could walk in an empty draw and collect half a million... I'll give you 5%. OK?

Ad Wim
10-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Grand Slams are the only important tournaments for people who like to watch some tennis sometimes and for the rest only know vaguely about who is number 1. If you say this on this forum, you're not in the right place...

rocketassist
10-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Winning a TMS a few years ago was a much much much bigger achievement than it is now.

Ad Wim
10-12-2009, 11:25 AM

It's still such a pity that people keep idealising that AO '08. I agree, it was very good back then and nice to watch, but if you want to be and stay on the top level, you cannot be an all-attack guy anymore. Federer and Nadal are also known for great defense and taking initiative out of nowhere. Look at guys like Cilic and Potro for example. Both two of the best hitters out there now, but terrible in defense. The match yesterday was a fine example, Djoko's defense was just too good for Cilic.
If you want to be on the top, you have to mix it up, attack and defense, and I think he has done that very well.

He had a period (Halle, Wimbledon), where he was merely defending and hardly attacking, that was a bad period. But he has recovered from that and from what I see, plays very well and aggressive now. I saw the Troicki and Cili match last week and he was attacking every ball he could, hitting lots of winners and coming to the net very often. I dare to say that those three games after the rain delay yesterday, were just as good as his AO '08 period.

Manon
10-12-2009, 12:15 PM
As Escude likes to say - 'This hunk :drool: is always on track'.

Start da Game
10-12-2009, 02:34 PM
madrid defeat served a big blow to his confidence and actually it's the second time that he has suffered so bad at the hands of rafael and lost his way from there on.......first in 2008, he lost continuously to rafa(hamburg, FO and queen's) and lost his confidence after that.......this year again, at a time when he looked like he is getting there, two heart breaking defeats to rafa again, one at rome and one at madrid.......

he has to rediscover a few aspects in his game and change his mentality........i never understood why he changed his forehand.......i liked it when he used to take a big swing and go for huge depth.......backhand is lacking the sting too.......he was a better player when he was attacking more.......

Lalalovesong
10-12-2009, 04:30 PM
As Escude likes to say - 'This hunk :drool: is always on track'.

haha, so true! ;)

Noleta
10-12-2009, 05:05 PM

Only 500????

He got a lot of Master Title so far in his career

It's too early to say he's back on track having won a 500 event;)

http://i36.tinypic.com/2ry6611.png

He can't do anything about that lol,it's not his faults the better players went out:)

For some it's too complicated to comprehend:)

madrid defeat served a big blow to his confidence and actually it's the second time that he has suffered so bad at the hands of rafael and lost his way from there on.......first in 2008, he lost continuously to rafa(hamburg, FO and queen's) and lost his confidence after that.......this year again, at a time when he looked like he is getting there, two heart breaking defeats to rafa again, one at rome and one at madrid.......

he has to rediscover a few aspects in his game and change his mentality........i never understood why he changed his forehand.......i liked it when he used to take a big swing and go for huge depth.......backhand is lacking the sting too.......he was a better player when he was attacking more.......

Maybe it's to do with the racket:shrug:

Start da Game
10-12-2009, 05:31 PM
he did blame his racket and he took so much time to get used to it, even now he sometimes doesn't look happy with it.......switching to head sticks was a big mistake too.......

Noleta
10-12-2009, 05:55 PM
he did blame his racket and he took so much time to get used to it, even now he sometimes doesn't look happy with it.......switching to head sticks was a big mistake too.......

It's better now than it was at the biginning of the year tbh:shrug:i think his older racket was more about control,this one is more about power:shrug:

Vida
10-12-2009, 06:02 PM
this djoker has more versatility than early 08 djoker. slice, drpshots and net game are no more an excursion.

all he has to do now is learn how to employ it vs various players, and - if it is possible at all - keep the 'controlled aggression' game he once had.

yellowboy906
10-13-2009, 02:13 AM
why are you saying this? has nothing to do with my post or the thread. trying to annoy me?

FAIL

why would i try to annoy you?:confused: i'm saying this cause you were laughing at djokovic as a one slam wonder when murray is a no slam wonder. this is like a baby laughing at an old lady for falling down when he falls down 10 times a day.:o

Start da Game
11-08-2009, 05:04 PM

beijing not so long ago and now basel by beating federer in front of his home crowd.......

i still feel he is playing pretty crappy tennis but perhaps he is starting to find his confidence? comment.......

Andi-M
11-08-2009, 05:25 PM
In 2008 He went through bursts of playing really well followed by periods of playing poorly.

However this year he has steadied the ship, and has been brilliantly consistant he has made most finals of anyone all year and has had a good consistant year without being spectacular.

Start da Game
11-08-2009, 05:44 PM
In 2008 He went through bursts of playing really well followed by periods of playing poorly.

However this year he has steadied the ship, and has been brilliantly consistant he has made most finals of anyone all year and has had a good consistant year without being spectacular.

exactly........made many finals but struggled to beat the big guns this year.......this should be a nice confidence booster beating federer and winning a title.......

kyleskywalker007
11-09-2009, 06:00 AM

I still don't understand some Murray fans. Why do you always have to come up with this crap? you don't know if he will ALWAYS be a one slam wonder. And, even if he were, that would be much better than being a no-slam wonder. Just for the record.

Geo
11-09-2009, 06:19 AM
well he's had an interesting year...he's beaten Federer and Nadal but he can't seem to beat Murray and Roddick for whatever reason...let's see what he does in Paris and at the YEC...if he can start beating Murray and Roddick too then i'll say yes for sure...if not then i don't know what to think lol

i mean if he can beat the best 2 players in the world there's no reason why he can't beat the other 2 :lol: :p

Geo
11-09-2009, 06:26 AM

:rolls: what a moronic post, especially coming from a Murray fan :retard: :silly:

1 slam >>>>>> 0 slams :wavey:

and let's look at who Djokovic beat this week to win Basel vs. who Murray beat to win Valencia...

Federer + Stepanek (indoors) >>>>>>> Verdasco and Youzhny :lol:

too bad i badrepped you the other day and it's too soon to do it again...you deserve another one for such a stupid post :spit:

FlameOn
11-09-2009, 06:42 AM
:rolls: what a moronic post, especially coming from a Murray fan :retard: :silly:

1 slam >>>>>> 0 slams :wavey:

and let's look at who Djokovic beat this week to win Basel vs. who Murray beat to win Valencia...

Federer + Stepanek (indoors) >>>>>>> Verdasco and Youzhny :lol:

too bad i badrepped you the other day and it's too soon to do it again...you deserve another one for such a stupid post :spit:
:lol: A Murray fan giving Djokovic shit because he's won one slam. Classic. :rolleyes:

Anyway yes, I've felt like Novak has been getting back on track for a long time. We've yet to see if he can win a MS title in Bercy and defend Masters Cup, but things are looking up for Nole.

Everko
11-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Of course he is. The fans of precious Fed and the MurrayMuggay are scared.

Start da Game
11-09-2009, 02:13 PM
it's all building up nicely for djokovic.......we might just see him take either paris or TMC.......

what i hope does not happen is, getting beaten by rafael over and over once again in next year's clay season........he has suffered badly at the hands of rafael in the clay court seasons of 2007, 2008 and 2009 too and all the times struggled to recover for a long time........although i prefer nadal, i don't mind him beating rafa once next year on clay in a masters event........he really deserves to beat rafa on clay once.......

RafitoGoat
11-09-2009, 02:15 PM
He is on track in the non-slams, but we really can't tell until he delivers in a slam semi-final vs Federer. I think Djokovic has a great chance at the Australian Open however, should be favorite behind only Federer.

Everko
11-09-2009, 02:17 PM
it's all building up nicely for djokovic.......we might just see him take either paris or TMC.......

what i hope does not happen is, getting beaten by rafael over and over once again in next year's clay season........he has suffered badly at the hands of rafael in the clay court seasons of 2007, 2008 and 2009 too and all the times struggled to recover for a long time........although i prefer nadal, i don't mind him beating rafa once next year on clay in a masters event........he really deserves to beat rafa on clay once.......

I hear ya. It's amways a tough call for me when Novak and Rafa play each other. I always oull for who needs that particular win more.

Start da Game
11-09-2009, 02:19 PM
He is on track in the non-slams, but we really can't tell until he delivers in a slams semi-final vs Federer.

i think we can forget about the recent us open semifinal, it was mentally one bad day for djokovic.......for some strange reason, he just refused to believe that he could beat federer that night even after breaking his serve and racing to 4-2 lead in the first set.......

i am pretty sure he will face federer or nadal with confidence the next time in a slam........

RafitoGoat
11-09-2009, 02:27 PM
i think we can forget about the recent us open semifinal, it was mentally one bad day for djokovic.......for some strange reason, he just refused to believe that he could beat federer that night even after breaking his serve and racing to 4-2 lead in the first set.......

i am pretty sure he will face federer or nadal with confidence the next time in a slam........

I agree, I think he can do it in the Australian Open especially if he enters it with the form he is in now I'd place him as equal favorite with Federer or 2nd favorite.

Start da Game
11-09-2009, 02:27 PM
I hear ya. It's amways a tough call for me when Novak and Rafa play each other. I always oull for who needs that particular win more.

what we don't need is another madrid semis kind of ending.......djokovic's psyche was hit badly by that defeat and not until toronto that he started feeling a little better.......a victory against rafa on clay will make him a different player altogether and it's good for the sport.......

pica_pica
11-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Technically he's back on track for a long time. Mentally I think he's in the process of getting back on track. I hope the Basel QF + SF + F help.

RafitoGoat
11-09-2009, 02:32 PM
what we don't need is another madrid semis kind of ending.......djokovic's psyche was hit badly by that defeat and not until toronto that he started feeling a little better.......a victory against rafa on clay will make him a different player altogether and it's good for the sport.......

It certainly is, I think the more times we can have a different clay champion the better and I hope we do see some different winners in 2010 clay season not just at the French Open but all the events, like when you had Ferrero, Moya, Corretja, Guga, Costa, Norman, all squaring off with equal chances at victory. I hope we get a band of clay threats again like that soon.

Start da Game
11-09-2009, 02:44 PM
well what i meant to say is, djokovic gaining confidence and bringing his best out will be good for the sport........i don't mind a defeat for rafa in one of the masters events but french open is not going anywhere........

also, defeating nadal at the french open may not be feasible next year.......djokovic, federer, delpotro and a bunch of okay clay courters from europe and south america will form the main field on clay next year but rafael's at another level and his hunger for the title will be doubled as he lost it this year.......i see djokovic and delpotro as rafa's major threats in the clay season next year.......

DJ Soup
11-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Look at guys like Cilic and Potro for example. Both two of the best hitters out there now, but terrible in defense.

Eh Cilic's defense is not so good but Delpo's really is. He has great counterpunching power.

RafitoGoat
11-09-2009, 02:47 PM
well what i meant to say is, djokovic gaining confidence and bringing his best out will be good for the sport........i don't mind a defeat for rafa in one of the masters events but french open is not going anywhere........

also, defeating nadal at the french open may not be feasible next year.......djokovic, federer, delpotro and a bunch of okay clay courters from europe and south america will form the main field on clay next year but rafael's at another level and his hunger for the title will be doubled as he lost it this year.......i see djokovic and delpotro as rafa's major threats in the clay season next year.......

Definitely Djokovic and most likely Del Potro too after seeing him v Federer in that 5-setter which he did well to fight to the end after getting down a break early in the 5th he broke back. Djokovic and Del Potro have the grit to be contenders at RG no doubt. They are definitely a level above Murray.

Vida
11-09-2009, 03:03 PM
sure he is, but dont expect much from djoko in paris. he has very difficult draw that includes chardy, felo, haas, davydenko I believe? also he's been playing a lot of tennis since USO, and WTF which he will look to defend is just around the corner.

Start da Game
11-09-2009, 03:13 PM
yeah he's got to deal with them but rafa and murray have even tougher draws.......we will see though........

Vida
11-09-2009, 03:16 PM
we shall see, but if djoko, say, reaches semis here, and - for example - reaches finals in london, all of which I suppose is not improbable game wise, that would mean one mean post USO streak that would include W,SF,W,SF,F... for example.

I just dont see it happening.

Start da Game
11-09-2009, 03:20 PM
interesting........if that pattern is to continue, he has to reach the semis at paris and win TMC........by doing so, he would successfully have defended something in his career for the first time.......but it's tough, like you said.......

zlaja777
11-09-2009, 04:36 PM

At least he won that one.

munZe konZa
11-09-2009, 04:44 PM
he has to win a couple of grand slams and masters titles first

SetSampras
11-09-2009, 07:06 PM
I dont think so but time will tell .. He won the YEC last year in 08 and didnt do much all of 2009. Slam wise he didnt do anything. Didnt even reach a slam final. Hes going to have to prove his worth at the slams and he hasnt won one in a very long time. Djoker and Murray are only bringing it at 3 set tourneys. I want to see them bring it to the slams

RafitoGoat
11-09-2009, 07:24 PM
I dont think so but time will tell .. He won the YEC last year in 08 and didnt do much all of 2009. Slam wise he didnt do anything. Didnt even reach a slam final. Hes going to have to prove his worth at the slams and he hasnt won one in a very long time. Djoker and Murray are only bringing it at 3 set tourneys. I want to see them bring it to the slams

Exactermoondo. Hollow victories until they beat the big boys in slam semis regularly.

Start da Game
11-14-2009, 03:52 PM
beating federer to win basel and beating rafa to get close to winning his first masters series title this year........is djokovic peaking at the right time for next year? he is most probably going to demolish the other finalist tomorrow and bag the paris masters........now he must definitely be the top favorite to win WTF.......

Nole fan
11-14-2009, 04:43 PM
The answer to this thread is a definitive YES.

Start da Game
11-14-2009, 04:58 PM
The answer to this thread is a definitive YES.

i saw him developing some momentum once he won the beijing title......he then went to basel and snatched the title right before the fed fans there.......looks like its monfils' turn to suffer tomorrow at the hands of the dark knight of tennis.......djokovic fans must be happy.......

MIMIC
11-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Djokovic is back on track in the smaller events, definitely. Now it's time for him to maintain this level at the slams more often. Playing this way, he can surely win at least 1 next year.

FedFan_2007
11-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Absofuckinglutely. He just needs to bring it to Federer in the slams!

tennis2tennis
11-14-2009, 08:18 PM
he's doing a david nalbandian peaking in the end of the tour ...he should be peaking in june july RG/wimbledon, that's the time when he should be at his best, i.e. not throwing in the towel 'cuase he sprained a nail.;)

Nole fan
11-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Don't worry, he's fitter than ever now. And I'm seeing a lot of improvement in the net, a good sign. He basically is raising up his game to the level he needs to win slams. I'm very confident about Djokovic for the next season, he's finding his top form and he will just get better I think. I hope.

FedFan_2007
11-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Fuck yeah!

dusan1610
11-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Yes

jcempire
11-15-2009, 03:12 AM
Djok Will win his second Slam next year and maybe to No 1 first time

FlameOn
11-15-2009, 03:39 AM
Djok Will win his second Slam next year and maybe to No 1 first time
That would be great. :drool: Nole to win a slam and get to #1 next year. OK, I don't want to set my hopes too high...

...but the answer to this thread is a huge yes!

MIMIC
11-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Paris Masters Final: Djokovic def. Monfils 6-2, 5-7, 7-6(3)

Is this Djokovic's first consecutive title in back-to-back tournaments?

munZe konZa
11-15-2009, 04:12 PM
yes , he is finally back and he has grown up and can play as much as any man.

Start da Game
11-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Paris Masters Final: Djokovic def. Monfils 6-2, 5-7, 7-6(3)

Is this Djokovic's first consecutive title in back-to-back tournaments?

excellent victory........thoroughly well deserved........first beijing, then basel in front of federer fanatics and now paris in front of the french crowd who can get ugly some times.......

and yes, this is his first back to back title........

Vida
11-15-2009, 04:25 PM
something is going on with djokers 2nd serve. he's taking more chance on it... going for the middle often, and with more depth. think he even made few aces with it these past weeks, even went s and v a few times. that would explain higher d-fault count.

Start da Game
11-15-2009, 04:28 PM
something is going on with djokers 2nd serve. he's taking more chance on it... going for the middle often, and with more depth. think he even made few aces with it these past weeks, even went s and v a few times. that would explain higher d-fault count.

yes, he is being a bit aggressive these days, particularly with the serve........i remember a huge 2nd serve in basel when fed had the break point in that epic 20 minute game in the first set........also, he is closing in on the net a lot more.......todd martin must have done some good to him........

Start da Game
11-15-2009, 04:32 PM
he is also going for his backhands a bit more.......i think that's the way to play.......however, he is still not hitting his forehand the way he used to hit 15 months ago.......i still see some hesitation and lack of confidence in that wing in clutch situations........he is more confident of his backhand.......

munZe konZa
11-15-2009, 05:00 PM
in order to become #1 after Australian Open he needs to play the same or better than Nadal and outplay Federer by 1200 out of 3500 points In London and Australia .

Start da Game
09-21-2010, 08:08 AM
he looked out of sorts for a long time before the us open but he did surprise so many with his first slam final in almost 3 years.......

Topspindoctor
09-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Nole will win a slam in 2011 for sure :yeah:

Start da Game
09-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Nole will win a slam in 2011 for sure :yeah:

the problem for him is nadal......he can blast past anyone but nadal......djoko lost to rafa on all surfaces in slams just like fed.......

there was a time in 2008 when he could have taken his confidence to another level but found nadal in his way time and again......federer was enjoying gutless confrontation in one half while nadal and djokovic were spartaning in the other......

Filo V.
09-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Depends which track that is. Do I think he's at the level where he's going to be one of the top on all surfaces consistently every tournament without potential struggles or bad losses? No, I don't. But he is playing better than he was before Wimbledon.

Amber Spyglass
09-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Depends which track that is. Do I think he's at the level where he's going to be one of the top on all surfaces consistently every tournament without potential struggles or bad losses? No, I don't. But he is playing better than he was before Wimbledon.

I'm sorry but what player other than Nadal is doing that right now?Fed basically doesn't bother his ass unless it's labelled slam,Murray has had plenty of ups and downs in performance aswell this year so what "top players" (other than Nadal) are you referring to that he can't match for consistency at the moment or in the next few months

kronus12
09-21-2010, 12:47 PM
the problem for him is nadal......he can blast past anyone but nadal......djoko lost to rafa on all surfaces in slams just like fed.......

there was a time in 2008 when he could have taken his confidence to another level but found nadal in his way time and again......federer was enjoying gutless confrontation in one half while nadal and djokovic were spartaning in the other......

Mate your the only gutless whinger on this forum, you hate for fed is sad, nadal is a great champion but has to have a fool like you as a fan is just sad.
Maybe you too delusional already to notice Nadal draw at Wimbledon and Usopen this year mate it was frightening lol....yes I'm being sarcastic :D:D:D

Start da Game
09-21-2010, 02:18 PM
predict djokovic's slam results in 2011......

finishingmove
09-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Djokovic is back in the tracksuit

Persimmon
09-21-2010, 02:23 PM
He is.

Filo V.
09-21-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm sorry but what player other than Nadal is doing that right now?Fed basically doesn't bother his ass unless it's labelled slam,Murray has had plenty of ups and downs in performance aswell this year so what "top players" (other than Nadal) are you referring to that he can't match for consistency at the moment or in the next few months

OK, so Rafa is the only legitimate elite player right now, is basically your argument. Well, one can say that, he's clearly way ahead of the rest of the pack currently. I consider a top/elite player someone who consistently goes deep in the events they play and they win/good deep in majors, and Nole isn't quite there yet, he was and he isn't now, so since that is the question being asked, no, he isn't back to his previous level, which was elite level. So, if you are asking me if he's the best of the rest, perhaps, but that isn't what the OP asked nor what I was saying.

Filo V.
09-21-2010, 02:25 PM
He is getting back on track, but he is not where he was when he was at his best.

Guga_fan
09-21-2010, 03:23 PM
He is getting back on track, but he is not where he was when he was at his best.
That's true, unless he gets his old serve back he will probably never be back to his best

Vida
09-21-2010, 04:17 PM
its gonna be like this: fed is gonna be the goat, than nadal is gonna win even more and hes gonna be the goat, than djokovic is gonna win even more and than fed is gonna kill himself.

Clydey
09-21-2010, 05:13 PM
He's still not at his AO 2008 level. I reckon he would have beaten Nadal on that sort of form.

ZaZoo)
09-21-2010, 05:24 PM
He's still not at his AO 2008 level. I reckon he would have beaten Nadal on that sort of form.

That good old serve is missing alot but his game is now going upwards.

Amber Spyglass
09-21-2010, 06:22 PM
OK, so Rafa is the only legitimate elite player right now, is basically your argument. Well, one can say that, he's clearly way ahead of the rest of the pack currently. I consider a top/elite player someone who consistently goes deep in the events they play and they win/good deep in majors, and Nole isn't quite there yet, he was and he isn't now, so since that is the question being asked, no, he isn't back to his previous level, which was elite level. So, if you are asking me if he's the best of the rest, perhaps, but that isn't what the OP asked nor what I was saying.

No I don't think Nadal is the only elite player.I think that he is the best right now obviously but that there are quite a few top players,Fed,Nole,Murray and players like Sod (who consistently gets to GS QF's these days and only seems to have been beaten by Fed or Rafa in recent slams.Fed is obviously an all time great in comparison to the likes of Djokovic and Murray but just basing it on current form I'd put them all pretty much in the same boat.I don't know,maybe you're including past players and things like Fed's past dominance in this but I was just referring to currently and currently I think he deserves to be included with the few at the top of the game right now.I wasn't saying anything about whether he was back to his own personal best or not(subject of the thread),I just took issue with the fact that you said you didn't see him as one of the "top".I think it's pretty obvious that he's one of the best players on the circuit these days but if we are looking at "top" as in the grand scheme of things,past players,Rafa,Fed's former dominance then no,he isn't that great of a player

christallh24
09-21-2010, 07:24 PM
nadal is a great champion but has to have a fool like you as a fan is just sad.

I'm a huge Rafa fan....and I agree. STG and a few other Nadal fans annoy the hell outta me.

I was just referring to currently and currently I think he deserves to be included with the few at the top of the game right now.

And Nole's ranking reflects this. :shrug: But, to reply to the topic, yes, I do think he's getting back on track. It's been two years of this imposter Novak. :sobbing: I'm sooooooooo happy to see signs of the old Nole! I'd almost given up on him after that horrible Wimbledon semi-final. Oh, Nole! :hug: Here's to you getting the monkey off your back.:drink::kiss:

Nole fan
09-21-2010, 07:26 PM
No I don't think Nadal is the only elite player.I think that he is the best right now obviously but that there are quite a few top players,Fed,Nole,Murray and players like Sod (who consistently gets to GS QF's these days and only seems to have been beaten by Fed or Rafa in recent slams.Fed is obviously an all time great in comparison to the likes of Djokovic and Murray but just basing it on current form I'd put them all pretty much in the same boat.I don't know,maybe you're including past players and things like Fed's past dominance in this but I was just referring to currently and currently I think he deserves to be included with the few at the top of the game right now.I wasn't saying anything about whether he was back to his own personal best or not(subject of the thread),I just took issue with the fact that you said you didn't see him as one of the "top".I think it's pretty obvious that he's one of the best players on the circuit these days but if we are looking at "top" as in the grand scheme of things,past players,Rafa,Fed's former dominance then no,he isn't that great of a player

YET, Amber, yet. ;)

Amber Spyglass
09-21-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm a huge Rafa fan....and I agree. STG and a few other Nadal fans annoy the hell outta me.

And Nole's ranking reflects this. :shrug: But, to reply to the topic, yes, I do think he's getting back on track. It's been two years of this imposter Novak. :sobbing: I'm sooooooooo happy to see signs of the old Nole! I'd almost given up on him after that horrible Wimbledon semi-final. Oh, Nole! :hug: Here's to you getting the monkey off your back.:drink::kiss:

Yeah I know it does,but I thought Flyboy was saying that despite his ranking he wasn't really a "top" player but at least I think I get what he meant by that now

Amber Spyglass
09-21-2010, 08:16 PM
YET, Amber, yet. ;)

Yes well,it would be a shame to jinx things :lol:

Matt01
09-21-2010, 08:16 PM
That good old serve is missing alot but he's game is now going upwards.

Yeah, and his serve is already slowly coming back.
Now he needs to defend some of his points from last year :scared:

Filo V.
09-21-2010, 09:01 PM

No, I wasn't discussing Roger's dominance pre-2007. I was solely discussing my POV on what makes a top player. A top player is one who consistently gets deep in the events they play, in all majors, and doesn't have any bad losses or matches where they don't show up. To me, Djokovic isn't at that level, and as you said, no-one is at that level outside of Nadal. Nole to me is still vulnerable to losing matches inexplicably, and he still doesn't quite have the consistency (ie. Roddick in Cincinnati, bad match with Roger in Toronto, nearly losing to Troicki) in matches and tournaments, that comes with being an elite player. He is an elite player if you consider the level Murray, Roger, Soderling have shown is elite, but I don't personally consider that level elite, it's very good, but elite is the best of the best. Murray losing R3 in a slam, Roger playing like shit against Nole and Murray in recent weeks. He's at the top of the game, and personally I think his ranking is appropriate to where he's at in the tennis world. But Rafa has raised the bar so high, for him to be in that discussion he needs to show a bit more.

Amber Spyglass
09-21-2010, 09:17 PM
No, I wasn't discussing Roger's dominance pre-2007. I was solely discussing my POV on what makes a top player. A top player is one who consistently gets deep in the events they play, in all majors, and doesn't have any bad losses or matches where they don't show up. To me, Djokovic isn't at that level, and as you said, no-one is at that level outside of Nadal. Nole to me is still vulnerable to losing matches inexplicably, and he still doesn't quite have the consistency (ie. Roddick in Cincinnati, bad match with Roger in Toronto, nearly losing to Troicki) in matches and tournaments, that comes with being an elite player. He is an elite player if you consider the level Murray, Roger, Soderling have shown is elite, but I don't personally consider that level elite, it's very good, but elite is the best of the best. Murray losing R3 in a slam, Roger playing like shit against Nole and Murray in recent weeks. He's at the top of the game, and personally I think his ranking is appropriate to where he's at in the tennis world. But Rafa has raised the bar so high, for him to be in that discussion he needs to show a bit more.

Ok then,but by your defintion Nadal is the only elite/top player right now(which is true,he beats everyone consistently,nobody is disputig that).So then why did you say in your original post that you don't consider Nole one of the top,as if there was a plural...

cocrcici
09-21-2010, 09:23 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRk3aWwVjUA0I4JP71iqHD_uTFhieufp 2vfSNwiEe5_qVvjH_o&t=1&usg=__i_QukQYumUzczhEpGvlXK2aS2bg=

Filo V.
09-22-2010, 01:25 AM
Ok then,but by your defintion Nadal is the only elite/top player right now(which is true,he beats everyone consistently,nobody is disputig that).So then why did you say in your original post that you don't consider Nole one of the top,as if there was a plural...

I didn't say Nole was not one of the top, I said I didn't expect him to have great results consistently like someone at the top of the game should/would. I didn't mean to single out Nole. I think overall, yes, right now, Rafa is the only elite player. Until Nole shows he can consistently get good results without the inconsistency he's had in matches and tournaments, then he isn't on that level, he's one step below Rafa, and in the level with Roger, Soderling and Murray, being probably the top player in this second group currently.

Start da Game
05-17-2011, 07:52 PM
how much things have changed in just over a year.......

Start da Game
05-17-2011, 08:00 PM
how should djokovic handle the french open?

he is so close to no.1 and one feels what else does he need to do to get the top spot......he has won 7 titles this year and has not lost a tennis match so far this year.......

nadal has set the bar for no.1 ranking so high that he might start feeling the pressure at some point during the first few days of the FO.......

if he reflects upon his season thus far, he will realize that he is not yet the top ranked player despite being the best of the season for almost the first half of the season.......that can kind of easily put him off if he lets it get to him.......

so how should he prepare himself mentally for the french open? the racket starts feeling heavy match by match if he starts thinking about what all he did so far this season and how he could possibly become no.1 at the FO.......it should be interesting........

Alex999
05-17-2011, 08:26 PM
nice bump :-)

Time Violation
05-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Nice bump :D Btw, is there a thread on this forum where Word Life didn't fail? :p

On topic,

how should djokovic handle the french open?

As he said few times, one match at a time :)

Nole fan
05-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Did anyone know this? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Novak Djokovic: From Most Improved to Most Dominant (http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-05-17/7056.php)
By Matthew Laird, Special to Tennis-X.com

Even before Novak Djokovic began his absolutely astounding run of form at last year’s Davis Cup, he already had one interesting honor to his name: he is the only player to win the ATP’s annual Most Improved Player in two consecutive years. Novak first won the award in 2006, when he began the year ranked 78th and finish it ranked 14th, having won two titles and gone 35-17 on the year. In 2005, he had gone a mere 9-9. As if that rise wasn’t enough, the following year, Djokovic moved from 14th all the way up to 3rd. During 2007, Novak made the semifinals at Wimbledon and Roland Garros, followed by a final at the U.S. Open, but his most impressive result was at the Canada Masters event, where he won the title while becoming the first player to beat the 3rd, 2nd, and top-ranked players back-to-back-to-back.
(...) He is still my hands-down pick for the Most Improved Player in 2011.

Read the whole article here, very interesting: http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-05-17/7056.php

Seingeist
05-17-2011, 11:21 PM
A terrific bump. The young Scot was being as much of a clown as he always is and Nole Fan was right on the money. :yeah:

Start da Game
05-18-2011, 06:02 AM
Nice bump :D Btw, is there a thread on this forum where Word Life didn't fail? :p

On topic,

As he said few times, one match at a time :)

that's how the approach should be.......it's a matter of execution from now on, holding his nerve.......

reading back, good to see djokovic fans sticking with their player through the thins.......

atennisfan
05-18-2011, 08:02 AM
I sit safe now for me to jump on Novak's bandwagon?