Beijing Final: Djokovic def. Cilic 6-2, 7-6(4) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Beijing Final: Djokovic def. Cilic 6-2, 7-6(4)

batavlada
10-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Great match. Guys :worship:

Cilic had big chances especially at beginning of first and the end of second set but, total number of points shows that Djokovic played well.

rubbERR
Great match? it was fucking wta match and only thing can be remembered how Cilic choked

MIMIC
4 straight breaks in the 2nd set :lol: Bunch of bonehead errors and terrible 2nd serves.

Novak was more consistent, and that's all that mattered. Cilic seemed to redline a lot of his shots and really went for broke, like he did against Nadal. Novak's defense smothered Cilic's confident offense.

When Cilic slips and falls, Novak hits the winner.
When Novak slips and falls, Novak still hits the winner :cool:

maxxo
10-11-2009, 11:14 AM
god damn your serve marine. good tourney anyway and gg nole

JolánGagó
10-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Shameful dissintegration by Cilic. Clownish match.

Cloudygirl
10-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Nole was good but Cilic served for the second set twice.

Björki
10-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Nole :dance:

Nidhogg
10-11-2009, 11:16 AM
A tale of choking and letting your opponent off the hook from start to finish. Cilic employed a sound strategy yet again, going after the second serve of Djokovic and working his way up to the net, but those sitters he missed once up there...
Marin seriously needs to work on managing his nerves. It's amazing how little confidence such a tall guy has in his serve.

Brick Top
better player won today.Congratz Nole:woohoo::yeah:

Deathless Mortal
WTF? It was an awful match, I expected a much better one, and on rare occasions when Marin played well and didn't make those fucking stupid UEs he just has to make it was a solid match, but mostly it was a bad match with too many chokes and as I mentioned, with too many UEs by Marin :rolleyes:

samanosuke
10-11-2009, 11:17 AM
I'v almost start to believe that Cilic will be someone ... But good old Marin is back !!!! Really pathetic Marin . To many times the same story ... ATP have new King of choking

Certinfy
10-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Break up 3 times in that 2nd set :o

Well done Novak :)

cocrcici
10-11-2009, 11:18 AM
:nerner:

batavlada
Match was exciting. This is just ATP 500 on rainy Beijing evening. What people expect in Sunday morning (Europe) ;)

Marin improved his game even more from USO.

Etern
Djokovic won a final? :eek:

jonathancrane
10-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Congrats Nole for your 3rd title of the year, but this was a low quality match.
Cilic has the game, but not the head (for the moment)

Dini
10-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Djokovic had too much variety and composure for Cilic. He played the long points cleverly, and Cilic's forehand went haywire more often than not - he also gets really tight when it matters. 2nd set wasn't great quality, but the better player won.

Congrats Djokovic. :yeah:

Certinfy
Marin's serving was awful!!!

Deathless Mortal
Match was exciting. This is just ATP 500 on rainy Beijing evening. What people expect in Sunday morning (Europe) ;)

Marin improved his game even more from USO.

Exciting match doesn't have to be a great match, and this one wasn't even near to be a great match.
With the way how Cilic played yesterday of course we expected a better match, but this Cilic obviously has a lot of different faces, and today the old one of a choking mug showed up.

rubbERR
this is why people cant expect cilic to b big player near future, he chokes too much

oranges
Marin :smash: Three breaks of serve and couldn't hold one of them to take it into the 3rd. Shame after such a good week.

samanosuke
10-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Cilic has the game, but not the head (for the moment)

I have the feel that the moment will live very long, to long...

Foxy
10-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Nice bend. Both players sucked balls, though.

Jadranka
10-11-2009, 11:24 AM
congrats to both of them :)

Ad Wim
10-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Djoko played great just after the rain delay with four awesome games. The second set was equal, with both playing very inconsistent in the end. But today, Djokvic was the more consistent player. Cilic went for his shots but Djoko was defending very well which made Cilic take more risk and missing more. That's the difference between Nadal and Djoko nowadays, Djoko is just much more complete and consistent, mixing it up very well. Defending well but also a lot of agressive attacking.

Very good win Djoko, another big tournament with a strong field under your belt. Now also take Shanghai, you really deserve another TMS!

Bascule
10-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Djokovic won a final? :eek:

Yes, now someone else is getting the plate! Yay!
The second set - WTA tennis with some great shots.
Now he is the main contender for Shanghai, unless he choke in the first round, like he usually did after winning a title.

Bilbo
10-11-2009, 11:27 AM
expected one

aussie_fan
10-11-2009, 11:29 AM
I was only following this on SB, how can Marin get broken so many times

oranges
10-11-2009, 11:29 AM
I have the feel that the moment will live very long, to long...

When it comes, it is to be hoped you won't be the one to come and spread the Croatian glory as you did after the Murray win. Pathetic.

Dini
10-11-2009, 11:30 AM
I was only following this on SB, how can Marin get broken so many times

For being so tall his serve is utter crap.

Certinfy
10-11-2009, 11:31 AM
20 service games played, and 8 breaks of serve. Amazing.

batavlada
10-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Both players of today match playing well these weeks. I saw variety of strokes today and therefore match was good to watch. At the end of second set there was service breaks on few games in a row so it was excited.

Cilic improved game and he choked much less than in previous matches.

Exciting match doesn't have to be a great match, and this one wasn't even near to be a great match.
With the way how Cilic played yesterday of course we expected a better match, but this Cilic obviously has a lot of different faces, and today the old one of a choking mug showed up.

:)

He played yesterday against Rafael and today he played against Djokovic. Rafael is out of form for a long time. He is a shadow.

Ad Wim
10-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Very nice how Djoko handled the imitating bit at the end, subtle and not too much.

paseo
10-11-2009, 11:32 AM
It's a good thing Djokovic won this. Another runner-up plate, moreover against a player he should beat, would demoralize him.

As for Cilic, he's still got a long way to go. Winning a GS by this time next year?? I think Simon Reed is gonna be wrong again :p

Manon
10-11-2009, 11:33 AM
I almost start believe that Cilic will be someone ... But good old Marin is back !!!! Really pathetic Marin . To many times the same story ... ATP have new King of choking

Don't be so harsh. We'll see way more of Marin, I'm sure. At least he's the youngest of all top players.

I like him, really.

As for Novak, great 1st set and again, like so many times before, mental strougle when he should close the match. Fortunatelly Marin choked.

Ahyhow, finally title for Novak (3-8 in finals this year) and great week for Marin.

Btw, I've watched the match but if I had forced to read livescoring commentaries on MTF I'd rather commited 'hammer in my head' or 'earned' livesentence jail than to read bitter and sad Rubber's posts.

Lee
10-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Don't be so harsh. We'll see way more of Marin, I'm sure. At least he's the youngest of all top players.

I like him, really.

As for Novak, great 1st set and again, like so many times before, mental strougle when he should close the match. Fortunatelly Marin choked.

Ahyhow, finally title for Novak (3-8 in finals this year) and great week for Marin.

Btw, I've watched the match but if I had forced to read livescoring commentaries on MTF I'd rather commited 'hammer in my head' or 'earned' livesentence jail than to read bitter and sad Rubber's posts.

:yeah:

Nidhogg
10-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Very nice how Djoko handled the imitating bit at the end, subtle and not too much.

Yes. Good to see, actually.

Manon
this is why people cant expect cilic to b big player near future, he chokes too much

Would you close your mouth one hour?

munZe konZa
Nole really stepped up when he was down with some great points and he didn't do that this year. Marin and his fans needed this loss badly to calm them down :p

Aaric
10-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Hell yeah Nole :rocker2:
Now do it well in Shangai :)

Riffrizzle
10-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Good effort from Cilic. If not for the rain delay I think he would have made the first set more competitive or maybe taken it all together. The momentum of the match was reversed completely when they resumed play.

Glad Djoker won. If he had've fallen to just 2 wins from 8 finals this year it would've been hugely demoralising. Good stuff!

blueskye
10-11-2009, 11:38 AM
A good quality match in my eyes, the pace obviously changed after the rain dealy. I'm really happy Djokovic won though :worship: Congrats on title number 14 ;)

Har-Tru
10-11-2009, 11:39 AM
you must be choking...

Manon
10-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Marin and his fans needed this loss badly to calm them down :p

Shut up.

Bascule
10-11-2009, 11:40 AM

Absolutely. He tried to avoid it.
But what a coquette Novak is! When she told him they think he's handsome, he said something charming on chinese. I love him!

Stephie Cesc
10-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Nole :yeah:

petar_pan
10-11-2009, 11:45 AM
shame you, djokovic. he celebrated this point like he is crasy when cilic slipped. that is completely unfair. he should take his racquet up and said sorry.

about the match: cilic choked. that's all about. he must to take 4. or 5. break point in opening set. also he was serving for 2nd set twice, he should win that set.
interesting is cilic had more breakpoints in both sets (he started with 6, djokovic had 0) and one curiosity: cilic took 13 points on return in first set against djokovic's 10 and he loose that set 6:2. i didn't seen anything like that.
he would have better chance without rain delay.
djokovic took mental battle.

Noleta
10-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Maybe.... im 17 yrs old... yesterday was my birthday btw...
Novak didnt deserve that win...
also lots of serb on this forum provocate us all the time...

Guys this is a tennis forum,got nothing to do with that,never seen Ivan ir Cilic behave like this when they're playing Novak or another Serbian:)

Cilic should've won that second set,but it wasn't meant to be,there can only be one winner:)

Bascule

Absolutely not true, it's quite opposite. We always have nice words and love your players, what is quite different with you. But, you are just a kid. It's sad how you have been raised lately.

Dini
Why should Nole apologise for Marin's slip? :lol:

arm

Congrats :aparty:

Well, so because you get pissed at some people here you have to insult the player they support? :scratch: Just cut the insults, really, no need. Peace :angel:

gulzhan
10-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Good one by Nole :yeah:

Amber Spyglass
10-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Nice to see the typically high levels of maturity on GM this morning :rolleyes:

Well done Nole ;)

Lee
10-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Let's hope all the Croats and Serbs in the forum are like Nole and Ivan ;)

http://www.osports.cn/middle.do?photoId=2949684

Dini
10-11-2009, 11:53 AM

:yeah:

It's not that hard.

petar_pan
10-11-2009, 11:57 AM
shame on you

it's seems he wanted to prvocate cilic to take him out of balance.
yes or no, never mind. that reaction was just one completly idiot.

philosophicalarf
10-11-2009, 11:57 AM
20 service games played, and 8 breaks of serve. Amazing.

Been the same all week - it's very very easy to return on this court, especially when it's cold and damp. 24% breaks of serve average this week, more than Roland Garros this year :-)

Manon
10-11-2009, 11:59 AM

Well Lee, say smth 100 times...

As for me I'm good with almost all (even Domach) Croats and they're good guys. But that became pointless. Both 'sides' have their own 17 years old 'on-fire' kids.

Noleta
10-11-2009, 11:59 AM

You're sooo wrong:pboth guys are very emotional,Nole probabalhy was in the zone that he didn't realise Cilic was on the ground lol:o

No need for bitter posts like this:sad:

~Maya~
10-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Congrats Nole! :)

Ad Wim
shame you, djokovic. he celebrated this point like he is crasy when cilic slipped. that is completely unfair. he should take his racquet up and said sorry. that was gipsy.IDIOT.

The cheering was about the great defending in that point and also the importance of it. He got a ball almost from the stands before Cilic slipped.

Doomach777
u Đokovic fans, do u really thing that he deserved two-sets win today ?

petar_pan
shame on you

also we can't forgott that many tennis players has very bad opinion about djokovic.

Manon
10-11-2009, 12:02 PM
You're sooo wrong:pboth guys are very emotional,Nole probabalhy was in the zone that he didn't realise Cilic was on the ground lol:o

Course. First of all they are good friends.

Noleta
10-11-2009, 12:02 PM

No,but he did that's life:)he didn't deserve to lose that Madrid SF and he did:shrug:

Bascule
10-11-2009, 12:04 PM

How can you call him gypsy and idiot?
He didn't have to apologize, Marin got up and return. He should apologize if he had win that point while Marin was down. He also hardly return at that point.
He did apologize few times during the match. He is always fair on the court and a gentleman. So, don't call him names.
I'm sorry Marin lost, but this is his first 500 finale, so you should be satisfied,.

Noleta
also we can't forgott that many tennis players has very bad opinion about djokovic.

What have this to do with today's match:confused:

B.Bojan
shame you, djokovic. he celebrated this point like he is crasy when cilic slipped. that is completely unfair. he should take his racquet up and said sorry. that was gipsy.IDIOT.

about the match: cilic choked. that's all about. he must to take 4. or 5. break point in opening set. also he was serving for 2nd set twice, he should win that set.
interesting is cilic had more breakpoints in both sets (he started with 6, djokovic had 0) and one curiosity: cilic took 13 points on return in first set against djokovic's 10 and he loose that set 6:2. i didn't seen anything like that.
he would have better chance without rain delay.
djokovic took mental battle.

In case you didn't see that point Novak did a superhuman defence in that point, running all over the court and won the point at the end. That's why he reacted like that. It's not his fault Marin slipped and I don't see why should he apologize.

On the match... The best match Novak played in Beijing. Rain delay helped, but let's not forget that the rain delay was on deuce, and Marin had break point right after. But Novak held up, and played better.

Marin played good, but he wasn't really allowed to play his game. Novak played strong and deep shots and kept pressuring him. He played some good returns. Marin has a huge potential and I really like his personality and his game! GL in the future!

Manon

He won, did he? I have to admit word 'deserve' in tennis is not so familiar to me. Take it easy. Is't great we have those two good players.

petar_pan

hahahahahahah

you should to say the true

:wavey:

arm
No,but he did that's life:)he didn't deserve to lose that Madrid SF and he did:shrug:

Noleta :bigcry: We do NOT mention that! I was there, remember? :awww:

Lee
10-11-2009, 12:05 PM

Why not? It's not Djokovic's fault that Cilic DF on bp while serving for 2nd set the first time. It's not Djokovic's fault that Cilic choked when serving for 2nd set the second time. Novak has more variety on his shots than Cilic today. :shrug: And Djokovic worked hard to make the bps.

Basically, Djokovic played the importants points better than Cilic all through the match.

malisha
10-11-2009, 12:06 PM
a joke thread with a few good posts

there were alot of breaks of serve yes but like @philosophicalarf said the courts are not that fast and this two are great returners

more composed player won...Cilic choked again after a big victory(US Open)
Marin needs to work on his kick serve to make it more productive in future

good week for both players

Noleta
10-11-2009, 12:07 PM
hahahahahahah

you should to say the true

I think you're too upset to think straight mate:hug::wavey:

Noleta :bigcry: We do NOT mention that! I was there, remember? :awww:

Sorry:awww::hug:

Bascule
10-11-2009, 12:07 PM

Gossips. You should believe your own eyes. Anyway, croat players have good opinion about him. Not enough? Who loves Fed? Soderling and Wawa.

Bascule
10-11-2009, 12:09 PM

2 sets or 3, what does it change? He certainly deserved to win. Marin is the one to be blamed for choking in the second set.

Doomach777
10-11-2009, 12:09 PM
No... i just posted a same post as your friend "Nemanja" who said the same thing few weeks before when ljubo was playing against djokovic in cincy...
of course he didnt received infraction...

Jadranka
10-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Guys, ne serite.

Dini
10-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Gossips. You should believe your own eyes. Anyway, croat players have good opinion about him. Not enough? Who loves Fed? Soderling and Wawa.

:lol:

You clearly don't know what you're talking about here. MTF hate does not equal player hate.

petar_pan
10-11-2009, 12:13 PM
How can you call him gypsy and idiot?
He didn't have to apologize, Marin got up and return. He should apologize if he had win that point while Marin was down. He also hardly return at that point.
He did apologize few times during the match. He is always fair on the court and a gentleman. So, don't call him names.
I'm sorry Marin lost, but this is his first 500 finale, so you should be satisfied,.

no marin, dind't got up.
he returned that shoot while he was down. and normally that couldn't be good shoot so djokovic took control in that point and after second touch he took it. cilic would took that point if he didn't felt down.
he really have to say: sorry.

oranges
10-11-2009, 12:14 PM
No... i just posted a same post as your friend "Nemanja" who said the same thing few weeks before when ljubo was playing against djokovic in cincy...

No reason to have another round of cesspool now. Report it if bothers you.

Manon
10-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Guys, ne serite.

Tell them Jadranka:worship:

oranges
10-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Guys, ne serite.

:lol: That about sums it up.

Manon
10-11-2009, 12:16 PM
:lol: That about sums it up.

^^^:worship::worship:

MagicMilan
10-11-2009, 12:18 PM
You should have reported that post, probably none of the moderators saw it :shrug:
Congrats Novak. Finally get ridding of that #13 mark :worship:
Quality or no, I enjoyed the match. It had some great moments of drama and good play, and choking of course. :o
Very important win for Novak, he wouldn't have handled another final loss :yeah:
Congrats Marin on a very good week for him :hatoff:

malisha
10-11-2009, 12:19 PM
seriously stop it

this is maybe a pointless line but i had a felling Djoko wolud eventually clinch it in 3. set
his defence makes him more clutch as he isnt going for the lines often....therefore i really doubt he wolud lose that 3. set even if Marin served it out in the 2.

petar_pan
10-11-2009, 12:21 PM
i dind't say anything bad about anybody, just repeat what did players said about djokovic on US Open last year and this scene today when he should apologised to cilic.

Bascule
10-11-2009, 12:21 PM
no marin, dind't got up.
he returned that shoot while he was down. and normally that couldn't be good shoot so djokovic take control in that point and after second touch he took it. he would took that point if cilic didn't felt down.

Permutovala sam. Yes, first return and then got up, but it was really a hard one point for Novak to return too, that's why he was cheering for. Again, he would certainly say "sorry" if he did get that point after Marin slipped, but he got it later when he was up, so, it's ok. Don't be so upset.:hug:

Bascule
10-11-2009, 12:22 PM

You clearly don't know what you're talking about here. MTF hate does not equal player hate.
:lol: Thanks God!

Dini
10-11-2009, 12:24 PM
:lol: Thanks God!

:scared: :lol: :rolls:

Imagine the conversations in the locker room:

Player X: You're a mug

Player Y: You're a choker

X: Well, you're a pusher.

Y: NID

X: Reported.

MagicMilan
10-11-2009, 12:24 PM
i dind't say anything bad about anybody, just repeat what did players said about djokovic on US Open last year and this scene today when he should apologised to cilic.
enlighten us :)

Doggy
10-11-2009, 12:26 PM
But what a coquette Novak is! When she told him they think he's handsome, he said something charming on chinese. I love him!

What did he say?? Did she touch his penis???

malisha
Cilic employed a sound strategy yet again, going after the second serve of Djokovic and working his way up to the net, but those sitters he missed once up there...
Marin seriously needs to work on managing his nerves. It's amazing how little confidence such a tall guy has in his serve.

good post

he needs to improve his kick serve and his volleys...but good that he went to the net as better to miss a sitter than make a homerun form the baseline....he is a hard worker this 2 things must be improved

Confidance will come with improvement and experience

MagicMilan

Bascule
10-11-2009, 12:28 PM

Hi Mugic.
Hi Mugerer. How's your fat bitch today?
STFU!

petar_pan
10-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Permutovala sam. Yes, first return and then got up, but it was really a hard one point for Novak to return too, that's why he was cheering for. Again, he would certainly say "sorry" if he did get that point after Marin slipped, but he got it later when he was up, so, it's ok. Don't be so upset.:hug:

he was under completly pressure from that slipp so it's not ok at all. since that everbody knew that will be djokovic's point.

Bascule
10-11-2009, 12:30 PM
What did he say?? Did she touch his penis???

No, but she was struggling, it was obvious.:angel: He probably said on chinese: I like you too, just don't touch my penis, guys.

Bascule
10-11-2009, 12:33 PM
good post

he needs to improve his kick serve and his volleys...but good that he went to the net as better to miss a sitter that make a homerun form the baseline....he is a hard worker this 2 things must be improved

Confidance will come with improvement and experience

This is probably the key word. Novak was much more patient in the long rallies.

rubbERR
10-11-2009, 12:35 PM
djokovic putting all the efforts to win 500-series tournament and then losing gulbis shanghai 1st round...and next year hes gonna win AO warm-up tournament and lose flavio cipolla AO first round.

malisha
10-11-2009, 12:37 PM
this rubbERR is good

gotta love his natural instinct to make a productive post

Manon
10-11-2009, 12:40 PM
this rubbERR is good

Yeah, pure refreshment on MTF.

Bascule
10-11-2009, 12:48 PM
this rubbERR is good

But his last post could easy come true.;)

Lee
10-11-2009, 12:50 PM
But his last post could easy come true.;)

Can't because Nole is not playing Gulbis in 1R ;)

rubbERR
10-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Can't because Nole is not playing Gulbis in 1R ;)

its 1st round all the players who received BYE

FlameOn
10-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Well done Nole. :yeah: :banana:

:hug: Marin. Improve mentally and the sky will be the limit.

SwedSerbia
10-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Congrats Nole!:) Great week from Cilic aswell, i´ll expect great things of him in the future:)

jonathancrane
10-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Big sized trophies for both, but look a bit fake

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/73/fullj.b665f1aa452aeb96135daffbf54b60e9/b665f1aa452aeb96135daffbf54b60e9-getty-tennis-wta-atp-chn.jpg

Lee
10-11-2009, 01:11 PM
its 1st round all the players who received BYE

His first match but that is NOT first round match. It will be a second round match.

andylovesaustin
10-11-2009, 01:14 PM
:woohoo:

And those are some big trophies!

Congrats to Cilic, too, for a great tournament.

rubbERR
10-11-2009, 01:16 PM
too big trophy 500 level tournament :lol:

Lalalovesong
10-11-2009, 01:26 PM
I saw a fantastic djokovic playing good tennis.
Not his top level but ok. That wasn't needed today.
He was such a gentlemen on and of the court, as always!

Good week for marin cilic too.
I really like him, especially after the us open.
He will win a lot more finals in the future, and has a lot of talent.

Vida
10-11-2009, 01:26 PM
nole :yeah: :yeah:

marin :yeah:

batavlada
10-11-2009, 01:38 PM

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/73/fullj.b665f1aa452aeb96135daffbf54b60e9/b665f1aa452aeb96135daffbf54b60e9-getty-tennis-wta-atp-chn.jpg

"Silver" and "gold". Made in China :)

Certinfy
10-11-2009, 01:40 PM
The trophies :haha:

Bilbo
10-11-2009, 01:43 PM
nole could fit his ass into that trophy :eek:

andylovesaustin
10-11-2009, 01:44 PM
I saw a fantastic djokovic playing good tennis.
Not his top level but ok. That wasn't needed today.
He was such a gentlemen on and of the court, as always!

Good week for marin cilic too.
I really like him, especially after the us open.
He will win a lot more finals in the future, and has a lot of talent.

Nole has had his moments of people not liking him. But I really think he is TRYING to change his image. I think he's learned from past mistakes, and he wants to be "liked," which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I appreciate his effort.

sawan66278
10-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Solid victory for Novak. Congrats to he and his fans. Defeated some real challenges this week in impressive fashion...and this bodes well for next season. After the impressive showings by Delpo and Marin, he had to show that he was still in the mix...and he did. Unlike Andy Murray...whom has fallen of the radar with mental fatigue and the wrist injury.

Marin choked...yes. HOWEVER, it's too much to expect at this early stage of his career (given his career so far...and how he has gone about it) for him to get two huge scalps back to back (Rafa and Nole). He will only improve...and, in the next few years, those shots he misses...he will eventually make...and the tour will be his buffet line. Just like Sampras back in the day (NOT TALENT-WISE, of course)...once Pete got rid of the jitters...sticking to his strategies, he became one of the best players in the history of the sport.

born_on_clay
10-11-2009, 02:29 PM
:worship::worship:
Good job Nole
I'm so happy you've won

Manon
10-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Marin choked...yes. HOWEVER, it's too much to expect at this early stage of his career (given his career so far...and how he has gone about it) for him to get two huge scalps back to back (Rafa and Nole). He will only improve...and, in the next few years, those shots he misses...he will eventually make...and the tour will be his buffet line. Just like Sampras back in the day (NOT TALENT-WISE, of course)...once Pete got rid of the jitters...sticking to his strategies, he became one of the best players in the history of the sport.

We agreed? That's nice.

calvinhobbes
10-11-2009, 02:57 PM
nole could fit his ass into that trophy :eek:

Surely! It was intended for Rafa´s ass......:):)

horizon
10-11-2009, 03:01 PM
no marin, dind't got up.
he returned that shoot while he was down. and normally that couldn't be good shoot so djokovic took control in that point and after second touch he took it. cilic would took that point if he didn't felt down.

Novak also fell one or two times,and Cilic didn't say sorry :shrug:

tangerine_dream
10-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Yes! Yes! Yes!

http://i36.tinypic.com/6904lf.jpg

Sapeod
10-11-2009, 03:42 PM
4k for me.

Thanks for the cash Fakervic.

Manon
10-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Yes! Yes! Yes!

http://i36.tinypic.com/6904lf.jpg

http://i38.tinypic.com/1pz4si.gifhttp://i33.tinypic.com/2zhqtqa.gifhttp://i34.tinypic.com/awcchj.gif

Sunset of Age
10-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Congrats, Djoko! Third title of 2009, and #3 in the rankings! :hatoff:
And :hug: Cilic for an awesome tournament, too.

Vaccine
10-11-2009, 04:38 PM
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: :worship: Congrats Nole!

petar_pan
10-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Novak also fell one or two times,and Cilic didn't say sorry :shrug:

necemo se lagat sada.

Corey Feldman
10-11-2009, 05:07 PM
when the hell will this Nole get tired :rolleyes:

petar_pan
10-11-2009, 05:07 PM
"Silver" and "gold". Made in China :)

this trophies are really awful.

Brick Top
10-11-2009, 05:35 PM
when the hell will this Nole get tired :rolleyes:

in AO,than in Indian Wells an` Miami on +35c,hopefully never!

Sapeod
10-11-2009, 05:39 PM
In

Day 1
Pick: Gonzalez
BU: Wawrinka
wrong thread, mate :haha:

FedFan_2007
10-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Congrats to Nole winning his 3rd title of the year and #3!

sanshisan
10-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Absolutely. He tried to avoid it.

He said - Thank you I love you (too).

No one ever catches Nole flat-footed. He always has a great comeback.

Jōris
10-11-2009, 08:57 PM
:aparty:

sanshisan
10-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Marin played good, but he wasn't really allowed to play his game. Novak played strong and deep shots and kept pressuring him. He played some good returns. Marin has a huge potential and I really like his personality and his game! GL in the future!

This is exactly it - I'm surprised more posters don't recognize this important factoid - Cillic looked `great' against Nadal. Why? Because Nadal let Cilic play his game where he is strong. Suddenly Cillic played `terrible' against Nole. No Cilic did not play terrible - it's just that Nole did not let Cillic play his game where he excells - from the baseline. Cillic has a powerful serve, he usually gets alot of free points on his serve. How many aces did Cillic get against Nole? 1? 2? Because Nole has great defensive skills. He a did a fantastic job running Cillic's serves down.

I always wonder about the truth of that statistic `UNFORCED ERRORS'. Cillic had more unforced errors than Djokovic, but how many are `unforced' dumb miscalculations and how many errors are cause by very difficult or even unreturnable shots? IMO at this level of tennis, the term `Unforced Errors' is misleading. In fact, UEs often say more about the quality of the winner's shots than of the loser's mistakes.

Ozone
10-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Wow what a gutless match Cilic played. He will never make the top 5 if he doesn't become more mentally tough. Anybody in the top 10 can hold their serve at will but Cilic failed time after time. :o

Rafa = Fed Killa
10-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Congrats Nole!

Cilic you got a way to go before beating real players like Djokovic but continue to beat the grandslamless clowns like Murray.

freeandlonely
10-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Now . win . 上海

Manon
10-11-2009, 11:41 PM
in AO,than in Indian Wells an` Miami on +35c,hopefully never!

Little advice if you want > never answer to (probably) the biggest Serb hater and (lame) provocateur.

Corey Feldman
10-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Having another cry, Misha

:lol::hug:

Manon
10-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Deserved :kiss:

Corey Feldman
10-11-2009, 11:57 PM
jebi se

sawan66278
10-12-2009, 12:23 AM
We agreed? That's nice.

Hey...can't we all just get along:)

Bascule
10-12-2009, 12:29 AM

No.:)
Empty phrase anyway.

Clay Death
10-12-2009, 12:42 AM
No.:)
Empty phrase anyway.

affirmative. who the hell would want to get along with some of the gutless termites at the asylum (gm) anyway?

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/claydeath/v_strelok080100018.jpg

Bascule
10-12-2009, 12:46 AM
affirmative. who the hell would want to get along with some of the gutless termites at the asylum (gm) anyway?

:D affirmative, old sport.

Clay Death
10-12-2009, 12:48 AM
:D affirmative, old sport.

Mimi
10-12-2009, 03:28 AM

congratulations to Nole, but the trophy is ugly, it looks like 冬瓜盎 :devil:

Lee
10-12-2009, 03:44 AM

I love 冬瓜盎. It's yummy, Mimi! :lol:

safinafan
10-12-2009, 03:47 AM
congrats to nole :)
but i expected more from Cilic

Mimi
10-12-2009, 03:51 AM

:lol: I seldom have chance to eat 冬瓜盎 as I seldom go out for meals

~Maya~
10-12-2009, 03:54 AM

? :( :ras:

Mimi
10-12-2009, 04:40 AM
gio: this is a kind of Chinese food, like this :p

maki925
10-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Congrats to Nole! :)
It was a bit shaky,but he did it!

And he is in lead with 63 wins so far this year! ;)

petar_pan
10-12-2009, 08:36 AM
This is exactly it - I'm surprised more posters don't recognize this important factoid - Cillic looked `great' against Nadal. Why? Because Nadal let Cilic play his game where he is strong. Suddenly Cillic played `terrible' against Nole. No Cilic did not play terrible - it's just that Nole did not let Cillic play his game where he excells - from the baseline. Cillic has a powerful serve, he usually gets alot of free points on his serve. How many aces did Cillic get against Nole? 1? 2? Because Nole has great defensive skills. He a did a fantastic job running Cillic's serves down.

I always wonder about the truth of that statistic `UNFORCED ERRORS'. Cillic had more unforced errors than Djokovic, but how many are `unforced' dumb miscalculations and how many errors are cause by very difficult or even unreturnable shots? IMO at this level of tennis, the term `Unforced Errors' is misleading. In fact, UEs often say more about the quality of the winner's shots than of the loser's mistakes.

no, completly opposite. he usually get allot of nothing on his service.

cilic's service was bad yesterday. how he played terrible if he served for 1:1 two times (in that two serice games he had 20% of 1st service). that just few points, so djokovic played terrible too?
fact is: he played yesterday almost like against murray and nadal. but yesterday he chocked on crutial points. that's all about. at 2:2 in opening set he had two easy break points which he miss (from the start of the matches against nadal and murray he didn't miss such kinds of shoots and he won that sets/matches easily, it would be same story yesterday). btw, cilic was better from baseline before rain delay. but after that delay he played worse than before rain delay (nerves). djokovic played better than like he was before rain delay. but cilic would win the match wothout choking. he choked at 2:2, he chocked at 5:4 and 6:5 even on 3:1. so, every time.
but he chocked against murray two time but he demolished him last time. it will be same story with djokovic or del potro.

Vida
10-12-2009, 09:59 AM
ciic has a negative TB career record, it is indicative.

choking can only be cured with a deliberate dose of arrogance.

zcess81
10-12-2009, 10:08 AM

yes, Cilic does look like too much of a nice guy...he needs show more arrogance...all top guys have it in abundance.

petar_pan
10-12-2009, 10:32 AM

no, you are not right. that loose tie-breaks were 89% of time in his bad periods of form.

abourt choking: that's true. but it can be cured and on other ways (i. e. experience).
like i said, cilic choked aginst murray two times before, but he smashed him last time. it would be sam with djokovic or anybody else (del potro). he will beat them. he will be same quality of top 5. so, he will be maybe 1., 3rd of 5th.

Vida
10-12-2009, 10:42 AM
no, you are not right. that loose tie-breaks were 89% of time in his bad periods of form.

abourt choking: that's true. but it can be cured and on other ways (i. e. experience).
like i said, cilic choked aginst murray to times before, but he smashed him last time. it would be sam with djokovic or anybody else (del potro). he will beat them. he will be same quality of top 5. so, he will be maybe 1., 3rd of 5th.

eh, good form, bad form... doesnt mean anything. you play how good your form is, and vice versa.

my impression is that cila is still a bit too meek.

he will be a solid top 10 player and will likely have good runs, even perhaps to a GS title. but, though can be awesome, he is limited - not the best defense, poor volleying, shit slice, no spin whatsoever.

petar_pan
10-12-2009, 10:57 AM
eh, good form, bad form... doesnt mean anything. you play how good your form is, and vice versa.

my impression is that cila is still a bit too meek.

he will be a solid top 10 player and will likely have good runs, even perhaps to a GS title. but, though can be awesome, he is limited - not the best defense, poor volleying, shit slice, no spin whatsoever.

i explained about tie-break.
i know what i saw: he smashed murray and nadal. so he will be top 5. so he can easily win against them, when there is no chockig. there is less and less of that. how the player which smashed murray anda nadal can be limited?
you said he is limited. it's doesn't exist a player which has all shoots. so in your logic everybody are limited.
he hasn't all the shoot but has enought to beat murray and nadal and to be in top 5.
also he can improve all the shoots.

Vida
10-12-2009, 11:10 AM
i explained about tie-break.
i know what i saw: he smashed murray and nadal. so he will be top 5. so he can easily win against them, when there is no chockig. there is less and less of that. how the player which smashed murray anda nadal can be limited?
you said he is limited. it's doesn't exist a player which has all shoots. so in your logic everybody are limited.
he hasn't all the shoot but has enought to beat murray and nadal and to be in top 5.
also he can improve all the shoots.

you are reading too much into those two victories imo. as we know, trashing nadal - bless him - is not much of a wisdom these days. god knows there are many big, flat-hitters who can have, and do have his number on hardcourts. murray win was very good yeah, but he was, errr, too too passive (regardless as this might seem as a contradiction when it comes to him). that wont necesseraly work against guys who can hit back.

cilic will surely have good runs. he has that sort of a powerful game, that when he is on, he is very hard to defend against. but this cant be sustained for a long periods of time, as it requires focus, and having that all the time is an impossibility.

just look at top four, all of them build their wins on defense.

rocketassist
10-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Murray was injured, and the passivity is hard to judge given the amount of errors he hit on the FH side.

Cilic could make it big but only if he hits more solidly like his Argie clone does- bash it down the centre, get a short ball, put it away in the corner.

Manon
10-12-2009, 12:10 PM
jebi se

You wish. I'm chooosing very carefully my ***** for ^^^:angel:

Manon
10-12-2009, 12:11 PM

Of course.

petar_pan
10-12-2009, 01:34 PM
you are reading too much into those two victories imo. as we know, trashing nadal - bless him - is not much of a wisdom these days. god knows there are many big, flat-hitters who can have, and do have his number on hardcourts. murray win was very good yeah, but he was, errr, too too passive (regardless as this might seem as a contradiction when it comes to him). that wont necesseraly work against guys who can hit back.

cilic will surely have good runs. he has that sort of a powerful game, that when he is on, he is very hard to defend against. but this cant be sustained for a long periods of time, as it requires focus, and having that all the time is an impossibility.

just look at top four, all of them build their wins on defense.

nadal reached semis in cinci, US Open and here. he played really well against safin. cilic uotplayed completly nadal and murray (they were bad because cilic was great).

and one more thing: he has pretty good defence. he will apsolutely will be one of the top in the game.
beside that, he outplayed del potro. on one set up and 3:1 at 2nd he missed one easy shoot for three consecutive break points for double break). but then he chocked. if did he won that point he would win that game set and match. del potro was the winner of US Open.

Guga_fan
10-12-2009, 06:07 PM
nadal reach semis in cinci, US Open and here. he played really well against safin. cilic uotplayed them completly (they were bad because cilic was great).

and one more thing: he has prety good defence. he will apsolutely will be one of the top in the game.
beside that, he outplayed del potro. on one set up and 3:1 at 2nd he missed one easy shoot for three consecutive break points). if did he win that point he would that game set and match. del potro was the winner of US Open.
No way to know that, especially because the wind that troubled Del Potro so much in the match was gone by the end of the 5th, and, after that, there's no way Cilic could outplay Del Potro IMO.

petar_pan
10-12-2009, 07:27 PM
No way to know that, especially because the wind that troubled Del Potro so much in the match was gone by the end of the 5th, and, after that, there's no way Cilic could outplay Del Potro IMO.

no way to know that.

btw, what a excuse: wind? hahaha

beside that, why do you think that wind is worse for del potro's game?
btw, you are first voice about wind. i didn't ever heared that is the reason for cilic's leads in that match

Vida
10-12-2009, 07:47 PM
wind can never be made as an excuse for a loss. it is same for both players and can only mean that the loser is 'less complete'.

Guga_fan
10-12-2009, 08:12 PM
no way to know that.

btw, what a excuse: wind? hahaha

beside that, why do you think that wind is worse for del potro's game?
btw, you are first voice about wind. i didn't ever heared that is the reason for cilic's leads in that match
It's worse for Del Potro, especially in his service motion, wich incluludes a high ball-toss.I can't see how the wind is an excuse if Del Potro won the match, and even if you disconsider the wind and just considers that Del Potro upped his game by the end of the second set, the game he was playing was superior to Cilic's.

I don't care much for Del Potro and I'm saying this because I disagree with people who are implying that Cilic's bound to beat guys like Djokovic and Del Potro. It may happen, but he has to improve his game a lot for that or expect they have an off day.

oranges
10-12-2009, 09:17 PM
It's worse for Del Potro, especially in his service motion, wich incluludes a high ball-toss.I can't see how the wind is an excuse if Del Potro won the match, and even if you disconsider the wind and just considers that Del Potro upped his game by the end of the second set, the game he was playing was superior to Cilic's.

That's hardly saying much since Marin was playing atrocious by then, as the result from then on indicated. He outplayed him at AO for a set and half as well, so it can't be only the wind, there surely must be something down to his abilities ;) Whether or when he'll be able to sustain high enough level long enough to end up on the winning side is another matter, but there is nothing in the matchup itself or their respective abilities to suggest it's beyond him.

I don't care much for Del Potro and I'm saying this because I disagree with people who are implying that Cilic's bound to beat guys like Djokovic and Del Potro. It may happen, but he has to improve his game a lot for that or expect they have an off day.

I'm not sure who said/implied he's bound to beat anyone, especially at this point, but you seem to be seriously undermining his top game. Less erratic, less tight closing out would already go a long way. BTW, Djokovic will always be a harder mathcup of the two for him as he uses more variety to push him out of his comfort zone. Del Potro's game plays right into it, he's just more rock solid so far.

petar_pan
10-12-2009, 09:23 PM

what are you talking about!?

he smashed murray and nadal so he obviously can beat djokovic and del potro.
also cilic was better in australia until 2:2 in 4th set.

also, in first 3 djokovic's service games he has 6 break points, djokovic 0 and he served 2 times for 1:1 in sets.
so he clearly could won that. djokovic said that also.

mystic ice cube
10-12-2009, 09:57 PM
I was delighted for Djokovic, because he deserved it. Sometimes I feel he carries the weight of the world on his shoulders and it clouds his obvious talent. Here's hoping he gets back to top form with this victory. :)

cocrcici
10-12-2009, 10:15 PM
I was delighted for Djokovic, because he deserved it. Sometimes I feel he carries the weight of the world on his shoulders and it clouds his obvious talent. Here's hoping he gets back to top form with this victory. :)

:):)

Time Violation
10-12-2009, 10:25 PM

Could've, should've, would've. :) Time to move to the next tournament. :)

Guga_fan
10-12-2009, 11:08 PM
what are you talking about!?

he smashed murray and nadal so he obviously can beat djokovic and del potro.
also cilic was better in australia until 2:2 in 4th set.

also, in first 3 djokovic's service games he has 6 break points, djokovic 0 and he served 2 times for 1:1 in sets.
As I said, in an off day he could beat those guys. Smashing Nadal nowadays is not much (also, the match-up favors him) and when Murray is making so many errors he's very beatable, even Benneteau almost beat him when he was playing crappy tennis.

I'm talking about beating Djokovic and Del Potro when they're playing well. Djokovic could have played a much better match and still beat him in straights.

That's hardly saying much since Marin was playing atrocious by then, as the result from then on indicated. He outplayed him at AO for a set and half as well, so it can't be only the wind, there surely must be something down to his abilities ;) Whether or when he'll be able to sustain high enough level long enough to end up on the winning side is another matter, but there is nothing in the matchup itself or their respective abilities to suggest it's beyond him.
At AO Del Potro lost to Federer 3-0-0, he's become a much better player since then. It can be said that neither Del potro or Cilic played on the top of the game throughout all the matches they played against each other, so let's hope they meet this indoor season, and then we'll see if Cilic can beat Del Potro.

I'm not sure who said/implied he's bound to beat anyone, especially at this point, but you seem to be seriously undermining his top game. Less erratic, less tight closing out would already go a long way. BTW, Djokovic will always be a harder mathcup of the two for him as he uses more variety to push him out of his comfort zone. Del Potro's game plays right into it, he's just more rock solid so far.
I consider Cilic a really good player, but he's not at the same level as the top 5 IMO. Del Potro is also a hard opponent for him, because he misses less and serves better.

petar_pan
10-13-2009, 12:13 AM
As I said, in an off day he could beat those guys. Smashing Nadal nowadays is not much (also, the match-up favors him) and when Murray is making so many errors he's very beatable, even Benneteau almost beat him when he was playing crappy tennis.

I'm talking about beating Djokovic and Del Potro when they're playing well. Djokovic could have played a much better match and still beat him in straights.

At AO Del Potro lost to Federer 3-0-0, he's become a much better player since then. It can be said that neither Del potro or Cilic played on the top of the game throughout all the matches they played against each other, so let's hope they meet this indoor season, and then we'll see if Cilic can beat Del Potro.

I consider Cilic a really good player, but he's not at the same level as the top 5 IMO. Del Potro is also a hard opponent for him, because he misses less and serves better.

everything what are you trying is to deined cilic with no objectivity. so there is no reason to discuss with you.

Clay Death
10-13-2009, 12:17 AM

affirmative. the great serbian slayer wanted it and he took it.

i believe he will take the shanghai masters as well.

cheers and weclome to the forums mystic ice cube.

Guga_fan
10-13-2009, 12:29 AM
everything what are you trying is to deined cilic with no objectivity. so there is no reason to discuss with you.
Everything I'm saying is that Cilic's tennis is not on the same level as the top 5. IMO, people are getting too carried away with Cilic's recent victories over Murray and Nadal, but both of them played bad tennis in those matches, not that Cilic didn't play great tennis.

Geo
10-13-2009, 12:53 AM
a pretty good final, though Cilic got tight in the 2nd set :spit: he kept having the break advantage, only to be broken back right away.

batavlada
10-13-2009, 06:11 PM

Poetic. :cool:

Noleta
10-13-2009, 06:21 PM

:wavey:Very philosophical:)