Are rumors of Gulbi's "spoiled rich boy" image over-exaggerated? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Are rumors of Gulbi's "spoiled rich boy" image over-exaggerated?

brent-o
10-09-2009, 06:27 PM
I've heard some commentators say how he comes from a rich family and has had things handed to him, doesn't have the work ethic, etc. Is that just them making assumptions or has he been shown to be a spoiled brat? Just wondering what you guys think.

Goldenoldie
10-09-2009, 06:30 PM
I am in two minds about Gulbis, and both of them are probably wrong.

GlennMirnyi
10-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Of course they are.

Tennis is an elite sport, first and foremost. This whole talk of "Gulbis sucks because his family is rich" is huge bullshit.

Kitty de Sade
10-09-2009, 06:43 PM
By "commentators," are you referring to JMac? He threw Gulbis under the bus so many times during the USO, he tore a rotator cuff.

Much ado about nothing, imo. Gulbis has to produce like any other player, regardless of status or station. If he, or any other player for that matter, doesn't struggle as much for financial backing as someone else, who cares? Doesn't automatically make someone a rich brat.

Sapeod
10-09-2009, 06:45 PM
I think they are. It's a load of bullshit if you ask me.

Michael Bluth
10-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Seriously, Fed and Nadal both came from families who were at least comfortably well off.

Dougie
10-09-2009, 07:47 PM
To be honest, very few tennis players come from families that can be considered poor, since it´s not the cheapest sport to start playing. Maybe Gulbis´case is blown a bit out of proportion, but it´s obvious he needs to deliver the goods if he wants to get rid of this kind of talk. Life´s not always fair.

Leo
10-09-2009, 08:43 PM
By "commentators," are you referring to JMac? He threw Gulbis under the bus so many times during the USO, he tore a rotator cuff.

Much ado about nothing, imo. Gulbis has to produce like any other player, regardless of status or station. If he, or any other player for that matter, doesn't struggle as much for financial backing as someone else, who cares? Doesn't automatically make someone a rich brat.

Well said. And that argument pisses me off.

-Evita-
10-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Of course they are over-exaggerated. His parents separated when he was very little and it's his father who has all the money but he lived with his mother and his grandmother in a normal apartment in Riga, went to a normal school :shrug: His father covered his tennis expenses but I don't think he gave Ernests a thousand bucks a month to make him spoilt in the "I'm rich" way.

Tzar
10-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Of course they are over-exaggerated. His parents separated when he was very little and it's his father who has all the money but he lived with his mother and his grandmother in a normal apartment in Riga, went to a normal school :shrug: His father covered his tennis expenses but I don't think he gave Ernests a thousand bucks a month to make him spoilt in the "I'm rich" way.

believe me, a thosand a month wouldnt be enough. ;)

Bargearse
10-09-2009, 10:08 PM

I'm in complete agreement. JMac has a huge problem with Gulbis because of his wealth and questionable work ethic and he has been very vocal about that. Oh well - it doesn't make Gulbis a spoiled brat. He's just a guy who achieved a fair bit of success early on in his career and maybe he got a little lazy as evidenced by his drop in the rankings. Looks like things are improving for him however.

Sunset of Age
10-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Seriously, Fed and Nadal both came from families who were at least comfortably well off.

As is the case with 95% of all players I suppose. It still is a sport for the relatively 'well-to-do' part of society.
I agree with most here, it's rather unfair to put any blame on a fellow just because he was so lucky to be born in a 'rich' family. In the end, all that will count are his results, as is the case with any player.
I don't understand why some commentators make such a fuss about it. A personal grudge or something? :rolleyes:

Certinfy
10-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Hate JMac now!!! :p

Action Jackson
10-09-2009, 10:28 PM
JMac was not exactly a working class individual and neither are more most tennis players.

It's like Nico Lapentti he is a rich kid, but it's not like something that gets highlighted over time.

It's what a player does on court that counts and yes it's exaggerated.

Zirconek
10-09-2009, 10:33 PM
http://www.boyet.com/Articles/Plays/Images/ImportanceOfBeingEarnest.JPG

Etern
10-09-2009, 10:41 PM
http://www.boyet.com/Articles/Plays/Images/ImportanceOfBeingEarnest.JPG

Nicely said

n8
10-10-2009, 02:23 AM
"Over-exaggerated" is a redundancy. If something is exaggerated, it’s already overstressed.

From what I gather, many top players come from rich families. Therefore to give Gulbis a hard time is unfair.

the graduate
10-10-2009, 04:24 AM
"Over-exaggerated" is a redundancy. If something is exaggerated, it’s already overstressed.

From what I gather, many top players come from rich families. Therefore to give Gulbis a hard time is unfair.not all of them come from rich families,most eastern europeans were sponsored by their govts.players like Davydenko come from humble families,Querry,ISner,baghdatis,Del pony,Monfils father played elite soccer in France for Marsaille so he had a comfortable upbringing.

Forehander
10-10-2009, 04:39 AM
YOu see if he came from the slums he would have been world number one already with 4 or 5 Grand Slams under his belt.

Ozone
10-10-2009, 04:44 AM
I just dont understand how the man has soooo many fans for having his background?? I mean I love players who come from tough childhoods and fight they way up as a pro- like Baghdatis, even though he was sent to an academy:lol:

Nastasie
10-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Nico Lapentti comes from a filthy rich family too, but I guess because he's South American it never got picked up on.

Plus, as it has already been said, most tennis players never had the escape-from-poverty type of motivation anyway.

Of course, this doesn't preclude Gulbis from being a spoiled brat. It may well be the case, but unless you, as a journalist, have observed his behaviour and established that for a fact, it's completely out of line to suggest it as an explanation for his lack of results. I don't think JMac was speaking from observation, in which case, he behaved like a douche.

gulzhan
10-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Gulbis is a nice guy. Never saw him do anything unethical. Unlike JMac.

oranges
10-10-2009, 01:37 PM
I just dont understand how the man has soooo many fans for having his background?? I mean I love players who come from tough childhoods and fight they way up as a pro- like Baghdatis, even though he was sent to an academy:lol:

Because many of us lack that kind of bias? I couldn't care less, apart from hoping they find enough financial support to get going if they need it.

Given that Bhagdatis, whom I like, is not exactly an epitome of an extremely hard working and dedicated guy, your credibility on the issue is seriously lacking.

Action Jackson
10-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Because many of us lack that kind of bias? I couldn't care less, apart from hoping they find enough financial support to get going if they need it.

Given that Bhagdatis, whom I like, is not exactly an epitome of an extremely hard working and dedicated guy, your credibility on the issue is seriously lacking.

I will give an example Luczak he is not a rich kid, he was still getting group lessons up to the age of 16, then had a few private ones. He did well, got a US scholarship as the parents could afford to fund him.

Calleri wasn't poor, but he worked in his parents liquor store to save the money to play some tournaments.

It's not a cheap sport to play, but not as expensive as some, but getting the initial support is the key.

Burrow
10-10-2009, 01:51 PM
YOu see if he came from the slums he would have been world number one already with 4 or 5 Grand Slams under his belt.

Or maybe not, cause then he wouldn't have been able to play tennis, never mind make it to pro level.

born_on_clay
10-10-2009, 01:52 PM
As far his results show they aren't

oranges
10-10-2009, 01:56 PM
As far his results show they aren't

...because we all know getting into top 100 is a piece of cake, likely to be achieved without hard work?

BTW, JMac slamming someone for being a spoiled brat is rich, pun intended.

Henry Chinaski
10-10-2009, 02:00 PM
I've never seen a credible source for the private rumours anyway

andylovesaustin
10-10-2009, 02:15 PM
I like Gulbis.

He seems pretty polite and has a big albeit inconsistent game.

I never understood McEnroe's issue. It's not as if McEnroe himself came from some poor family.

I guess McEnroe thinks he's wasting his talent... but a lot of players don't live up to their potential. Maybe Gulbis isn't driven in that way?

He's OK.. or seems to be.