Qfs Gael Monfils Def Stan Wawrinka 2-6 6-3 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Qfs Gael Monfils Def Stan Wawrinka 2-6 6-3 6-4

the graduate
10-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Entertaining match,but Stan the butterface had his diva moment:rolleyes:and he was not penalised totally amazing double standards in tennis.

Dini
10-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Inevitable. :sad:

Har-Tru
10-09-2009, 11:26 AM
what happened?

blueskye
10-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Didn't see the match, but followed the scoreline, I'm glad Monfils won he has been playing great for quite some time now so it's nice to see him winning matches like this ;) Who's he playing in the semis??

jonathancrane
10-09-2009, 11:33 AM
what happened?

He lost a match that he should have won. Another day at the office

Elena.
10-09-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm glad Monfils won he has been playing great for quite some time now so it's nice to see him winning matches like this ;) Who's he playing in the semis??

Tsonga.I agree,he's also quite entertaining :lol:
I take Monfils for the final.

the graduate
10-09-2009, 11:42 AM
he started having a temper tantrum right in front of the umpire,he smashed his racket and the ref did nothing totally amazing..Monfils is entertaining and the crowds love this crazy fun Frenchman...

simplet
10-09-2009, 11:47 AM
I see noone is giving credit to Gael "serve and volley" Monfils. The guy came in after every first and second serve in the last two sets.

Looks like a new Stephan edberg is born today, who would have guessed?

the graduate
10-09-2009, 11:57 AM
I see noone is giving credit to Gael "serve and volley" Monfils. The guy came in after every first and second serve in the last two sets.

Looks like a new Stephan edberg is born today, who would have guessed?Monfils has improved a lot this year,his serve and volley is :worship:

born_on_clay
10-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Good job Gael !!!
Keep going on :)

Har-Tru
10-09-2009, 12:01 PM
He lost a match that he should have won. Another day at the office

Sad but true. :sad:

LOL are you serious?? That's something...

Dini
10-09-2009, 12:10 PM
That's a massive insult to Stefan Edberg.

simplet
10-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Stephan Edberg wishes he was Gael Monfils

blueskye
10-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Monfils vs Tsonga- what a match that could be! Monfils for the title :wavey:

Dini
10-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Stephan Edberg wishes he was Gael Monfils

Sure. :hearts:

The Freak
10-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Gael serve and volleying?? I have a hard time believing that :lol:

Good win for him, Tsonga could crushed him though the only time they played.

Har-Tru
10-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Now seriously, did he actually S&V on all serves in the last two sets?

Truc
10-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Yes, he constantly played S&V during the last 2 sets. Maybe not *all* serves, but on almost every serve.

I remember him doing that last year on clay against Gil in Marrakech. Serve&volley on every point and chip&charge in return. But it is way more impressive to do it at this level, of course.

I hope it won't take him another year to be in S&V mood again, you need to see that, it's pretty funny.

Certinfy
10-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Good! :)

tangerine_dream
10-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Why does Stan get away with so much bad behavior? Is his cute little baby pizza face? :scratch:

Truc
10-09-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure he got away with it, I read on a French website he got a warning? I had turned the sound off, so I can't say what happened.
It was just one bad racquet abuse anyway (after a silly error which gave Monfils the lead in the 3rd set), his behaviour was completely fine otherwise.

Edit: I just saw that game again and Wawrinka got a very clear warning for racquet abuse, no idea what the first post is referring to.

Roddickominator
10-09-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't recall ever seeing Monfils S&V....that just sounds hilarious. Maybe he should do it more often.

I wonder if Glenn would become a Monfils homer if he started to S&V all the time.

duong
10-09-2009, 09:43 PM

yes :D :haha:

I really wish Glenn Mirnyi saw that match ! :haha:

it was incredible :eek:

serve and volley, even on second serve, return-volley, rushes to the net when the opponent prepares his shot, there was everything :lol:

And constantly : it's been a long time I hadn't seen a player play so much serve-and-volley :eek: (well maybe Isner :D )

and with so much success too :yeah:

SOMEONE MUST TELL GLENN MIRNYI TO WATCH THAT MATCH :haha: (I will tell him by PM actually ;) )

And he won because of that ! he was dominated on the baseline, but when he did that it worked and he got encouraged : Wawrinka didn't know what to do and he wasn't very good at passing-shots ... and Monfils was very good at volleys too :lol:

It worked greatly until the last games when Wawrinka managed to pass him and Monfils was less effective at volleys, but he still played greatly and quite surprising shots (rather passing-shots, which he's more used to
... because yes I forgot to tell you but Wawrinka also started to go more often to the net in the 3rd set when seeing that :lol: ).

One also has to say that Monfils served very well, which helped him of course for that game.

Gael says he's very tired but plays well : that's why I think he plays out of his mind :lol:

he's very talented : if you consider the physical as a "talent" as I do, at least as a "gift", I think he's the most gifted French player ... it's a pity for him that he doesn't have the mind and concentration appropriate for that gift.

Certinfy
10-09-2009, 09:44 PM
OMG great summary mate :haha: :haha: :haha: Wish i saw this match, any highlights?

Sapeod
10-09-2009, 09:49 PM
sounds like it was a cracking match :)

alter ego
10-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Monfils S&V ? Ok, is there some king of a joke going on here ? Are you sure it was Gael _ maybe he has an evil twin brother or something...

duong
10-09-2009, 10:02 PM
he doesn't have a very beautiful volley but still good, and more importantly he's very quick at the net and also has long arms : these last two are of course very important (Yannick Noah had these talents when he was at his best : quickness and scope)

ChampionshipPoints
10-10-2009, 02:48 AM
Monfils S&V ? Ok, is there some king of a joke going on here ? Are you sure it was Gael _ maybe he has an evil twin brother or something...

I haven't seen the match, but that would be quite unusual indeed for Gal.

Rafa = Fed Killa
10-10-2009, 03:00 AM
Allez Monfils the best French player in the game.

Aaric
10-10-2009, 01:39 PM
God :o
Upset Andy in Beijing now :rocker2: