Söderling beats Ljubicic 7-6 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Söderling beats Ljubicic 7-6 6-4

gam_jonte
10-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Really good first set and alittle sloppy in the second, especially on break points where he had some chances earlier in the match but gave some away. :/ But atleast he won quite comfortable and i'm hoping he can bring some of his best tennis against Novak tomoroow! :)

SelvenluvJo
10-09-2009, 10:03 AM
robin keep going

SwedSerbia
10-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Well done, looking forward to an amazing match tomorrow :)

Elena.
10-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Gooo Robin !

born_on_clay
10-09-2009, 10:20 AM
It's a bad news for tennis
Sad news....

DanaKz
10-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Well done Robin!

Dini
10-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Why is it sad and bad news for tennis? :confused:

sammy01
10-09-2009, 10:35 AM
keep rockin' robin!

Jōris
10-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Djokovic leads h2h 3-0, with two straight set wins in 2008. This will be the first time against the revived Soderling though.

born_on_clay
10-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Why is it sad and bad news for tennis? :confused:

Because Soderling is bad for tennis

Dini
10-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Because Soderling is bad for tennis

Because he beat Rafa?

If not come up with a convincing reason. I don't understand.

born_on_clay
10-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Because he beat Rafa?

If not come up with a convincing reason. I don't understand.

No, not because he beat Rafa. He was better that day and he deserved to win.
It's not about his game, it's about his behaviour on court, his attidute to other players.
And I believe it's not the best place to discuss about this
It's just my opinion, I assume you have different one :)

Dini
10-09-2009, 10:47 AM
It's not about his game, it's about his behaviour on court, his attidute to other players.

I misunderstood, because I thought you mentioned his tennis so I assumed you meant his style of play. To be fair his attitude to other players has only been downright sucky against Rafa (Wimbledon and Rome come to mind)[but it's mutual dislike in that case]. But of course you're entitled to your opinion; I was just curious to find out what bad his game did for tennis.

moon language
10-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Soderling might win this title.

Nolby
10-09-2009, 11:17 AM
I misunderstood, because I thought you mentioned his tennis so I assumed you meant his style of play. To be fair his attitude to other players has only been downright sucky against Rafa (Wimbledon and Rome come to mind)[but it's mutual dislike in that case]. But of course you're entitled to your opinion; I was just curious to find out what bad his game did for tennis.

This is spot on! He has been getting accused of being too nice to his opponents outside Rafa lately. He cheers for their good points by clapping his racquet the way Nole does and has shown great sportsmanship at the net when he loses. He is even going to the Player's Parties now before the tournies even though he is admittedly shy. This guy needs to be cut some slack.

8pNADAL
10-09-2009, 11:21 AM
soderling is one of my favorite players, i hope he wins this title if nadal doesnt, i think nadal will win though

Nolby
10-09-2009, 11:28 AM
soderling is one of my favorite players, i hope he wins this title if nadal doesnt, i think nadal will win though

Cool! :yeah:

I like Soderling and Nadal too. If someone who likes Fed and Nadal is "Fedal", are we "Sodals" or "Nadlings" :D

8pNADAL
10-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Cool! :yeah:

I like Soderling and Nadal too. If someone who likes Fed and Nadal is "Fedal", are we "Sodals" or "Nadlings" :D

i guess that would be ok

Okonsky
10-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I like them both but I was hoping Ljuba could win this. But OK.

Satanic Pasteur
10-09-2009, 12:25 PM
This is spot on! He has been getting accused of being too nice to his opponents outside Rafa lately. He cheers for their good points by clapping his racquet the way Nole does and has shown great sportsmanship at the net when he loses. He is even going to the Player's Parties now before the tournies even though he is admittedly shy. This guy needs to be cut some slack.

A friend of mine who is a long time commentator on Eurosport France and who knows a bit players from interviewing them and also chating off camera once told me Soderling seems to have higher inlelligence than the "average pro tennis player" and that could explain a bit why he is solitary and shy in his own way. Indeed I found his finalist speech at Roland Garros had great sense of humor I rarely see on the Tour and as developing superior sense of humor is impossible for a moronic guy, the Toad may be a bright dude:)
When I saw his ride in the Roland Garros car he also seemed to be a nice fellow, I think he just like to play the cold guys as a shell as some shy people do (me too so i can understand this behaviour of him).

8pNADAL
10-09-2009, 12:56 PM
i dont care about player off-court personalities i just like nadal and soderling for their single-minded never-give-in attitude

*Jean*
10-09-2009, 01:41 PM
Robin :bounce: Keep going!

Nolby
10-09-2009, 01:58 PM
A friend of mine who is a long time commentator on Eurosport France and who knows a bit players from interviewing them and also chating off camera once told me Soderling seems to have higher inlelligence than the "average pro tennis player" and that could explain a bit why he is solitary and shy in his own way. Indeed I found his finalist speech at Roland Garros had great sense of humor I rarely see on the Tour and as developing superior sense of humor is impossible for a moronic guy, the Toad may be a bright dude:)
When I saw his ride in the Roland Garros car he also seemed to be a nice fellow, I think he just like to play the cold guys as a shell as some shy people do (me too so i can understand this behaviour of him).

Great post! Yea, any introvert out there can tell you that is why he hasn't gone to Player Parties and doesn't speak in the locker room that much or hang out with the tennis player cliques. That is typical behavior for an introvert, and anyone who gets insulted by it must get insulted all the time by quiet people. He is obviously making a huge effort to try and fit in as a culture celebrity figure since the French Open.

He has a real pretty and intelligent girlfriend who is studying to take her bar exam. She is very cute, but she is not an airhead model obviously. Yea, these things indicate the man has some depth and is probably very intelligent.

scarecrows
10-09-2009, 02:00 PM
i dont care about player off-court personalities i just like nadal and soderling for their single-minded never-give-in attitude

means you have been watching Soderling only since this summer

Ilovetheblues_86
10-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Söderling, a genious. :worship: Never in doubt.

8pNADAL
10-09-2009, 02:16 PM
means you have been watching Soderling only since this summer

he didn't matter until this summer

Nolby
10-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Söderling, a genious. :worship: Never in doubt.

The word is spelled "genius". :lol:

Sapeod
10-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Come on Soderling :worship: This title is his. No way are Fuglic, Fakervic or Pigal stopping him.

Ilovetheblues_86
10-09-2009, 02:32 PM
The word is spelled "genius". :lol:

In portuguese is "gênio" I can´t afford to forget the "o" but then I´m no gênio like Söderling. :shrug: :sad:

Nolby
10-09-2009, 02:46 PM
In portuguese is "gênio" I can´t afford to forget the "o" but then I´m no gênio like Söderling. :shrug: :sad:

Sorry about that mate. I didn't go for the jugular or anything on it. I just thought it was a little amusing and I probably have done the same thing. Cheers! :)

Ilovetheblues_86
10-09-2009, 02:59 PM
I know, no problem.
I just pointed out that is interesting that sometimes our local language make us make some common spealling mistakes.

Like the word "ingenuous" in portuguese is "Ingênuo" so "gênio" should be "genious" ehehe.

Nidhogg
10-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Some slack play from Robin on many of his breakpoints as I feared, but converting one proved enough. The most impressive part was how composed he played in the breaker after dominating the whole first set without breaking through. Good effort from Ljubo, but he struggled to find his first serve when serving to stay in the match.

tangerine_dream
10-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Upset alert: the Croatian tosspot loses to a Toad. Toad next to go, I hope. :)

rubbERR
10-09-2009, 06:26 PM
ljubicic hit nice dropshot first set, it landed middle of the court.

HKz
10-09-2009, 08:39 PM

His interviews show him quite humble and such even with a good sense of humor.. Just because the guy had a big ego even before any success, you people judged him way too quickly. And sure you may say that he deserved to defeat Nadal that day, but in the back of your mind it is affecting your point of view towards Robin. He congratulates players' plays by clapping his racket and Nadal doesn't even say "too good" or anything of that sort, so does that make Nadal more or less of an asshole on court? Correct me if I am wrong, but I have never heard Nadal say "too good" or much less seen him clap his racket to congratulate his opponent's shot. He has laughed it off a couple times, but that is about. Don't tell me it is a language barrier because Robredo claps his racket, Novak says "too good" and claps his racket, "asshole" Hewitt says "too good," Federer says "well played" and occasionally claps his racket, Gonzalez claps his racket and thumbs up his opponents, etc. English is NOT the main language of their countries either.

So really, if you aren't going to call Nadal an asshole or that he has a bad attitude, then don't say that about other players because on court during matches, Nadal isn't fantastic about his sportsmanship.

Personally, I would want to see a matchup this Sunday for Soderling vs Nadal, it would really interesting.

Some slack play from Robin on many of his breakpoints as I feared, but converting one proved enough. The most impressive part was how composed he played in the breaker after dominating the whole first set without breaking through. Good effort from Ljubo, but he struggled to find his first serve when serving to stay in the match.

His mental game has become much better over the year.

Doomach777
10-09-2009, 09:30 PM
ljubicic hit nice dropshot first set, it landed middle of the court.

he had few brilliant points... like that backhand passing shot in first set, and a great volley...........

who gives a fuck bouth dropshot ?

shotgun
10-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Time to beat Djokovic.

Riffrizzle
10-10-2009, 12:38 AM

What's your source on this information? I'm not doubting you, I'm just glad to hear he's trying his best to integrate more with the other players. I've always thought Soderling was misunderstood. Sometimes it's his own intelligence that gets him intro trouble. I've overhead his line, "Nobody beats Robin Soderling 12 times in a row" being interpreted as him being arrogant. :rolleyes: He's a funny guy. Would kill for a Soderling-Nadal final in Beijing!

Sunset of Age
10-10-2009, 01:22 AM
Sometimes it's his own intelligence that gets him intro trouble. I've overhead his line, "Nobody beats Robin Soderling 12 times in a row" being interpreted as him being arrogant. :rolleyes: He's a funny guy.

:silly: whoever said that surely doesn't match Robin in intelligence, no way near. And apparently doesn't have any sense of humour either. ;)

Nolby
10-10-2009, 01:56 AM
What's your source on this information? I'm not doubting you, I'm just glad to hear he's trying his best to integrate more with the other players. I've always thought Soderling was misunderstood. Sometimes it's his own intelligence that gets him intro trouble. I've overhead his line, "Nobody beats Robin Soderling 12 times in a row" being interpreted as him being arrogant. :rolleyes: He's a funny guy. Would kill for a Soderling-Nadal final in Beijing!

"This is spot on! He has been getting accused of being too nice to his opponents outside Rafa lately."

Excessive Civility Muting Men’s Game?
http://www.tennis.com/features/general/features.aspx?id=187262

"He cheers for their good points by clapping his racquet the way Nole does and has shown great sportsmanship at the net when he loses."

Watching some of his matches. He will inevitably clap his hand on his racquet when his opponent hits a great shot. He does it often. He did it several times in the last match I saw, his loss to Davydenko in the semi-finals last week in Malaysia. Watch one of his matches. It will surprise you.

"He is even going to the Player's Parties now before the tournies even though he is admittedly shy. This guy needs to be cut some slack."

http://www.malaysianopentennis.com/news_021.html

http://allineedisapicketfence.wordpress.com/2009/10/09/picspam-the-most-misunderstood-man-in-tennis/

http://www.chinaopen.com.cn/news/en/2009-10-07/1943157.shtml

moon language
10-10-2009, 02:48 AM
Nadal doesn't even say "too good" or anything of that sort, so does that make Nadal more or less of an asshole on court?

Nadal said "too good" to one of Blake's shots the other night.