Tokyo R2: Tsonga def. Gasquet 4-6 6-2 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tokyo R2: Tsonga def. Gasquet 4-6 6-2 6-2

Dini
10-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Surprised there is no thread about this match. Richie looked to be dealing with the wind much better than Jo in the first set and looked in control. Obviously not for too long. Oh well, onto the next tournament. :awww:

Tsonga vs Gulbis next. Should be a cracker.

*Jean*
10-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Richard :sad:

habibko
10-08-2009, 01:30 PM
never a shame to lose to Tsonga (unless you lead 5-1 3rd set...), one step at a time Richie, so far so good :yeah:

Schu
10-08-2009, 01:32 PM
How did Tsonga have the nerve to do that stupid victory dance after that performance? The only thing Tsonga could do was pull out a big serve when he needed it and the rest of his game was crappy. Unfortunately that was enough to beat Gasquet who after having Tsonga look frustrated and inconsistent by the start of the second set, he (mostly his serve) decides to go on vacation.

Ernie - take out the dancing fool next round.

Richie-if only you could REALLY focus and keep the pressure on for more than one set. On to the next tourney.

Dini
10-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Schu Tsonga always does the victory dance no matter the opponent, tournament, round or score. He's not just doing it to annoy Richie. :shrug: And as far as I can see the crowd love it and it's a bit of a salute to them.

Puschkin
10-08-2009, 01:55 PM
never a shame to lose to Tsonga (unless you lead 5-1 3rd set...)
I heavily disagree. It gives me fits that Richard loses to this ball-basher. On the other hand, I see Richard's 2009 rest of the season only as a build-up.

Dini
10-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Tsonga a ballbasher? :scratch: OK so he's got a mighty forehand and serve but his touch at the net can be out of this world at times.

Puschkin
10-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Tsonga a ballbasher? :scratch: OK so he's got a mighty forehand and serve but his touch at the net can be out of this world at times.
I doubt that Tsonga beats Gasquet by his touch!

Tsonga always does the victory dance.. which is stupid enough. Gael does it much better anyway.:p

Dini
10-08-2009, 02:10 PM
I didn't say he beats Gasquet with his touch, Puschkin. :p But Tsonga is not a brainless ballbasher. He's got a lot more variety and "soft hands" than people give him credit for.

oranges
10-08-2009, 02:12 PM
I doubt that Tsonga beats Gasquet by his touch!
He beats him with a superior FH and serve ;) Lay off Jo, I hate these kind of early clashes as it is :sobbing:

Puschkin
10-08-2009, 02:13 PM
He beats him with a superior FH and serve......
which equals to ball-bashing. :p

Dini
10-08-2009, 02:14 PM
He beats him with a superior FH and serve ;) Lay off Jo, I hate these kind of early clashes as it is :sobbing:

+1 :sobbing:

out_here_grindin
10-08-2009, 02:19 PM

Do you wnat every player to play like Simon?

oranges
10-08-2009, 02:20 PM

Heh, if only all ball-bashers played like that... Surprisingly many players lost to this particular one. Perhaps, he's also a chess player after all, only in disguise :p

Vida
10-08-2009, 02:23 PM
thats one cool haircut.

Dini
10-08-2009, 02:23 PM
So Federer is a ball basher? :scratch: Roddick at his peak (when his forehand was mighty) was a mindless ball basher? :scratch: Sampras was a ball basher? :scratch:

I don't get the logic that because your forehand and serve are bombs that you're a ball basher. They have the power to hit hard and produce fast-paced winners - so if they have that power in their arsenal, why not use it?

I'm sure Richie would love to be able to hit effortless forehand winners consistently. But his strength is his backhand and he makes good use of that strength usually.

Puschkin
10-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Do you wnat every player to play like Simon?
:topic: i don't want to open a debate about Simon, I don't think he is pushing all the time. Having said that, there is a lot of tennis between between ball-bashing and pushing.

I don't get the logic that because your forehand and serve are bombs that you're a ball basher.
If you have only a FH and a serve, you are ball-basher. Don't bring up Roger or Sampras in this context, it's getting absurd.

Dini
10-08-2009, 02:28 PM
But do you really believe Tsonga ONLY has a serve and forehand?

I must have been watching a different Tsonga then. :p I mean the guy loves to move forward and serves + volleys quite often.

Puschkin
10-08-2009, 02:39 PM
But do you really believe Tsonga ONLY has a serve and forehand?

Let's agree to disagree on this. I would not pay to watch a match of his. I am not keen on his tennis and his oncourt-behaviour does not help either.

Dini
10-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Let's agree to disagree on this. I would not pay to watch a match of his. I am not keen on his tennis and his oncourt-behaviour does not help either.

Fair enough. ;)

Certinfy
10-08-2009, 03:04 PM
:D, tho sadly i will want Gulbis to win that QF :)

ChampionshipPoints
10-08-2009, 03:10 PM
:topic: i don't want to open a debate about Simon, I don't think he is pushing all the time. Having said that, there is a lot of tennis between between ball-bashing and pushing.

If you have only a FH and a serve, you are ball-basher. Don't bring up Roger or Sampras in this context, it's getting absurd.

Tsonga has only a FH and a serve?! You have no idea what you are talking about, so STFU!

Goldenoldie
10-08-2009, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE=Puschkin;9184431]:topic: i don't want to open a debate about Simon, I don't think he is pushing all the time. Having said that, there is a lot of tennis between between ball-bashing and pushing.

It seems that according to this forum most players are either one or the other. Could you describe how a player is supposed to achieve the "tennis between"?

ChampionshipPoints
10-08-2009, 03:13 PM

:retard::retard:

ohNTiryXASI

GlennMirnyi
10-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Tsonga can be a bit of a ballbasher sometimes, but many player can do that too.

Gotta say it's a bit awful for him to lose a set to semi-retired Gasquet, but...

rubbERR
10-08-2009, 03:47 PM
gasquet turned decent to futures player 5 minutes, classic gasquet

rubbERR
10-08-2009, 03:48 PM
typical praise is always there when player wins a match, last week tsonga was crushed here when he lost match to troicki, pretty embarassing :lol:

Ichiban1920
10-08-2009, 04:02 PM
typical praise is always there when player wins a match, last week tsonga was crushed here when he lost match to troicki, pretty embarassing :lol:

What the fuck is your point other than being an absolute moron as usual? Players always lose matches, so fucking what? Fuck off retard. You contribute absolute shit nothing to this board.

Ichiban1920
10-08-2009, 04:04 PM

Are you a moron? Gasquet has a shitty serve and a shitty forehand, so what does that make him then? Tsonga is completely superior to gasquet in everything other than the backhand. Tsonga is an all-court all around player who's not just an all forehand mug. Then again it seems like you're a fan of mug pushers so I can't help you there.

The idiocy on this message board truly amazes me.

rubbERR
10-08-2009, 04:06 PM
What the fuck is your point other than being an absolute moron as usual? Players always lose matches, so fucking what? Fuck off retard. You contribute absolute shit nothing to this board.

So why you are mumbling always when someone you dont like loses? fucking shameful tool :lol:

oranges
10-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Gasquet has a shitty serve

This is even less true than Tsonga being just a ballbasher. He's been in top10 or so in practically every serve related stat last season. He out-aced Pim Pim FFS (and I didn't see Pusckin complaining about it then ;)). Can we have a break from extremes that don't hold water for both.

Vlad1980
10-08-2009, 04:52 PM
This is even less true than Tsonga being just a ballbasher. He's been in top10 or so in practically every serve related stat last season. He out-aced Pim Pim FFS (and I didn't see Pusckin complaining about it then ;)). Can we have a break from extremes that don't hold water for both.

Tsonga showed no variety in this match at all. I have watched all the match and in the second set when Richard had break points, the only thing that saved him was his booming serves. He volleyed and hit his backhand like a challenger player. If anything Tsonga was just stronger mentally than Richard this match. Game wise, from the ground it was in Richard's control most of the time (which I don't say often when he plays top 10 players), but he screwed up too often.

Vlad1980
10-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Are you a moron? Gasquet has a shitty serve and a shitty forehand, so what does that make him then? Tsonga is completely superior to gasquet in everything other than the backhand. Tsonga is an all-court all around player who's not just an all forehand mug. Then again it seems like you're a fan of mug pushers so I can't help you there.

The idiocy on this message board truly amazes me.

Tsonga superior in everything except backhand? Dude, then just explain why Richard STILL has head to head advantage over Jo. Not only that, he has 2-1 lead just this year alone. I guess when you look at it this way, your theory is flawed.

HattonWBA
10-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Encouraging 2 weeks for Gasquet but needs to start being more agressive against the elite players.

Dini
10-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Tsonga showed no variety in this match at all. I have watched all the match and in the second set when Richard had break points, the only thing that saved him was his booming serves. He volleyed and hit his backhand like a challenger player. If anything Tsonga was just stronger mentally than Richard this match. Game wise, from the ground it was in Richard's control most of the time (which I don't say often when he plays top 10 players), but he screwed up too often.

Are you basing Tsonga's game style from what you've seen in this match alone?

oranges
10-08-2009, 05:03 PM

You haven't seen any Richie's matches when it was the serves that saved his ass? Federer's? A gazillion of other players? Jo hasn't been playing his best for a while now, whether it's the fact that it's practically his first full season or something else I have no idea. In any case, one or a couple of matches do not make a player and he's miles away from being just a ballbashing simpleton. I should know, I have some that fit the description much better among my favorites :p

Cloudygirl
10-08-2009, 05:35 PM
so Richard is progressing slowly.

It's his fourth match against a top tenner since he has been back isn't it but the first time he has taken a set. Win the match next time please Richard.

Ichiban1920
10-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Tsonga superior in everything except backhand? Dude, then just explain why Richard STILL has head to head advantage over Jo. Not only that, he has 2-1 lead just this year alone. I guess when you look at it this way, your theory is flawed.

What the fuck does head to head record have anything to do with comparing their shots? Are you retarded?

Jesus christ I've never seen more idiots on a message board than I have on this site. Amazing.

thegreendestiny
10-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Yes!!! win the tournament Jo! :rocker:

oranges
10-08-2009, 06:09 PM
What the fuck does head to head record have anything to do with comparing their shots? Are you retarded?

Jesus christ I've never seen more idiots on a message board than I have on this site. Amazing.

Well, you're hardly the one to talk after claiming Gasquet has a shitty serve :lol: Speaking of individual shots, perhaps that H2H has something to do with better return, eh? Perhaps it's not as simple as you made it out to be? Perhaps we've had enough of gross oversimplifications :help:

Cloudygirl
10-08-2009, 06:28 PM
His second serve is pretty shitty to be fair.

:bolt:

Certinfy
10-08-2009, 06:31 PM
I said there was no way Richie was beating Jo today :)

Puschkin
10-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Tsonga is an all-court all around player who's not just an all forehand mug.
What did he achieve on clay? Beating Galung on clay needing two breakers?

betowiec
10-08-2009, 06:41 PM
congrats JO

Dini
10-08-2009, 06:43 PM

Beat Monaco at the FO. :p

oranges
10-08-2009, 06:52 PM

All-court = using all parts of the court.

Also, if we really must have this pissing contest, he's got better results at RG than Gasquet with 4th round and a better win/loss ratio

rhinooooo
10-08-2009, 07:24 PM

I think Oranges is right. Jo has not been in good form for a long while now.

GlennMirnyi also said that Jo plays like a ballbasher at times, as do plenty of guys. The point is that he's able to hit flat and topspin off the forehand. When he's energised he can move well, and actually defend decently. He's got good touch at the net and with dropshots, and his serve (both first and second) is one of the best in the game. He has so much variety on it. The problems he faces are his backhand and his return. He's also got some problems with being consistent. I think it's ridiculous to say that he's just a ballbasher when he clearly has some options open to him.

As for the clay, its not going to be his best surface but he did well at the French Open, and he's played a small amount of events. I think he's used the dropshot well on that surface too.

Henry Chinaski
10-08-2009, 08:20 PM
what rhinooo said.

he's also got the attention span of a flea and can just completely lose concentration during important stages of a match. he's pretty lazy when he's volleying too. doesn't get his feet in position. probably related to concentration as well.
it's crazy to call him a ball basher in the context of the modern game but yeah he does have regular lapses into bb territory

Roddickominator
10-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Only saw the first set and part of the 2nd....and i'm pretty surprised that Tsonga pulled out a win here. He looked really awful....crap volleys, couldn't adjust to the wind....seemed like he was only winning points off of aces and unreturned serves.

Puschkin
10-08-2009, 08:59 PM
seemed like he was only winning points off of aces and unreturned serves.
That's what I am saying, but I got tons of lectures about Tsonga's touch and genious.

oranges
10-08-2009, 09:03 PM
:p

Amazing that he won the last two 6:2 with only aces and unreturned serves. He's the new Goran, the only two guys in history who manage to break with serve alone.

rocketassist
10-08-2009, 09:09 PM

Round of 16 before losing to a better clay courter. At least he turns up and doesn't shit out bricking himself of the possibility the crowd might get on his back...

Chiakifug
10-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Jo :hearts:

simplet
10-08-2009, 10:03 PM
*sigh* I will never understand this thing with Gasquet fans and Tsonga. Well, maybe I do understand some of it, but I still find it pretty silly...

Ichiban1920
10-08-2009, 10:54 PM
That's what I am saying, but I got tons of lectures about Tsonga's touch and genious.

Go watch highlights of his match gainst Nadull in the AO 2008. In fact go watch all his highlights on youtube. That's all the touch and genius you'll ever need to watch. Other than that the fact that you're making assumptions on Tsonga based on one match shows that you're clueless and you know nothing about tennis.

He had an off day and he still won. Maybe that goes to show how much gasquet sucks.

Ichiban1920
10-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Well, you're hardly the one to talk after claiming Gasquet has a shitty serve :lol: Speaking of individual shots, perhaps that H2H has something to do with better return, eh? Perhaps it's not as simple as you made it out to be? Perhaps we've had enough of gross oversimplifications :help:

Anyone with a shit sercond serve is a mediocre server. Case in point Andy Mugray. Gasquet has a shit second serve. I don't care what their current head to head is. Tsonga's improved as aplayer while Gasquet is going nowhere so he'll be dominating gasquet for years.

oranges
10-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Anyone with a shit sercond serve is a mediocre server. Case in point Andy Mugray. Gasquet has a shit second serve. I don't care what their current head to head is. Tsonga's improved as aplayer while Gasquet is going nowhere so he'll be dominating gasquet for years.

Except he doesn't have a shit second serve, not that that is what you meant in the first place anyway :wavey:

rubbERR
10-09-2009, 01:18 AM
Gasquet totally collapsed after he had chance to go 3*-1 up 2nd set, he missed pretty routine looking backhand passingshot.

How can player like Gasquet collapse like that? He was playing very well first set.