James Blake has got a new coach :eek: [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

James Blake has got a new coach :eek:

DartMarcus
10-08-2009, 08:40 AM
By Charles Bricker

It's unclear if James Blake, in the throes of a tough slide out of the top-20, has split with long-time friend, confidante and coach Brian Barker, but he's in Beijing for the $3.3 million tournament there and working with another long-time friend, Kelly Jones.

I don't have any immediate full information on the Blake coaching situation, but my best guess is that Barker, who has coached Blake since J.B. was 12 years old, is sitting this next week out with some personal issue. Blake and Barker are so close it's hard to imagine a mid-season split.

Jones, 45, of Tampa, was a highly accomplished doubles player who could be instrumental in improving Blake's transition game and volleying. Jones briefly reached doubles No. 1 in the world in early October of 1992, his greatest season in which he and Rick Leach were finalists at both the Australian and U.S. Opens.

Jones has previously coached top players Xavier Malisse and Mardy Fish.

Blake has not had a bad season, but he has had a disappointing season. He's 21-17 overall and, again, has not fulfilled his potential at Grand Slam events. He began the year at No. 10 and is now at No. 24.

Sensational :eek:
I hope it works out for James :D
I am now watching his match vs Rafa and he is playing some incredible tennis at some moments!

Goldenoldie
10-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Scary!

KrisJB
10-08-2009, 12:04 PM
That's very surprising considering that James has always insisted on loyalty and being accustomed to a long-time mentor. Probably it is his will to make better-then-before results and do some damage. It is hard to believe that they had any argument. Another explanation can be that it was simply the decision of Barker who just wanted to concentrate on the family matters.

Burrow
10-08-2009, 12:08 PM
I can't believe he's separated from Barker.

FlameOn
10-08-2009, 12:20 PM
If he decides to get a new coach I hope it'll be a much-needed shot in the arm for him. :D

starluk
10-08-2009, 01:10 PM
anyway good luck to James,he could play better than he plays now

Emilie85
10-08-2009, 03:25 PM
I can't believe it but it's official on the ATP website : Coached by former ATP pro Kelly Jones (since September 2009) after parting ways after US Open with long-time mentor Brian Barker (since age 12). :confused:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/James-Blake.aspx

jmsx521
10-08-2009, 04:21 PM
I can't believe he's separated from Barker.That's equivalent to if Nadal split with uncle Tony.

Fee
10-08-2009, 06:26 PM
I would be willing to bet that Brian resigned more than James fired him. Brian has missed a few trips in the last few years, I think there is a family/personal issue involved. Being on the road is tough on coaches too, especially the ones with young families.

KarlyM
10-08-2009, 10:27 PM
According to an article on ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4542097), the split was mutual and they are still friends. Barker encouraged him to make the change, and had even suggested splitting about a year ago but Blake was against it. They decided to split following the USO after Blake's R1 loss in Cincy. They will continue to work together when Blake is in Connecticut, and Blake seems to be leaving the door open to bring Barker back if things don't work out with other coaches.

Henry Chinaski
10-08-2009, 10:34 PM
That's equivalent to if Nadal split with uncle Tony.

I think one partnership has been a wee bit more successful than the other...

Burrow
10-08-2009, 10:49 PM
I think one partnership has been a wee bit more successful than the other...

One player is better than the other...

rubbERR
10-09-2009, 07:07 AM
watch out...blake goat progress begins here

timafi
10-09-2009, 12:25 PM
That's equivalent to if Nadal split with uncle Tony.

Nadal + Uncle Tony=

6 slams on 3 surfaces
2 Davis Cups and possibly a 3th in a few weeks
Masters Series on ALL surfaces
2 straight semis at the USO
former world #1

Blake: + Barker =

ZERO Masters Series
ZERO slam semis
ZERO title off hard courts
ZERO slam
1 fluke David Cup win

Burrow
10-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Why are people talking about achievements? That has fuck all to do with the comparison.

The guy was probably talking more about the relationship between the two. :rolleyes:

Burrow
10-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Nadal + Uncle Tony=

6 slams on 3 surfaces
2 Davis Cups and possibly a 3th in a few weeks
Masters Series on ALL surfaces
2 straight semis at the USO
former world #1

Blake: + Barker =

ZERO Masters Series
ZERO slam semis
ZERO title off hard courts