Gulbis with a dig at Spanish players? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gulbis with a dig at Spanish players?

L James
10-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Ernie with a few comments after his R1 win:

The 21-year-old son of a Riga multi-millionaire, said to fly to some tournaments in a private jet, produced a superb performance of controlled power to brush aside his Czech opponent.

"Unfortunately I started playing well at the end of the season," Gulbis told reporters. "I was playing like a Spanish player -- two metres behind the baseline doing nothing."

The Latvian credited new Argentine coach Hernan Gumy, once mentor to former world number one Marat Safin, for his reversal of fortune.

"He has given me a lot of tips to get back my game," said Gulbis, yet to win back-to-back games on the ATP Tour this year.

"I'm playing my game, being more aggressive. Things have stabilised now. Tennis is a game of confidence. When you win, you don't think. I thought too much before."

"I have a couple of more tournaments this year. But even if I lose, then I will have a good off-season practice and next year I'm going to come back. I'm going to play the same and I hope I can play better than I did today.

"I don't see the reason why I shouldn't play better and better... I hope to reach top 10 (in the) next two years' time," added the Latvian.

rubbERR
10-07-2009, 11:27 PM
gulbis controlled power = shot 10 meters out when played outdoors, indoors they barely stay in, luckily there has been raining all week tokyo so indoor conditions helped him :lol:

Corey Feldman
10-07-2009, 11:29 PM
:lol: good one Ernie

Clay Death
10-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Ernie with a few comments after his R1 win:

well to be brutally exact, some of the spanish players have achieved hell of a lot more than he has so it would be better to just keep his trap shut at least until he starts to show that he can win something.

lot of people feel E-Gul has potential but he still cannot win more than 2-3 matches in a row. we need to see more evidence of progress from E-Gul.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/claydeath/v_strelok080100018.jpg

malisha
10-07-2009, 11:47 PM
show me that controlled power tomorrow Erno
good signes last weeks...turning around matches...winning 3. times in a row since last year
maybe he started to care

guga2120
10-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Gulbis, is the definiton of a mindless ball basher. He wishes he could play like a Spanish player.

Clay Death
10-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Gulbis, is the definiton of a mindless ball basher. He wishes he could play like a Spanish player.

he definitely has work to do. fitness is one area where he needs significant work.

tennisfan856
10-08-2009, 12:05 AM
gulbis just doesn't have the same ambition as other players do from poorer backgrounds. It's like seeing Richie Rich occupy his idle time.

Ichiban1920
10-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Gulbis may not have the results but how is he not right? Perfect example, Nadull standing 20 ft behind the baseline moonablling. Pathetic.

ArgieFan
10-08-2009, 12:06 AM
WTF? His current coach, Gumy, played his whole career like a spanish player, three meters behind the baseline, no winner, no aces, no nothing...ironic...

Ichiban1920
10-08-2009, 12:07 AM

Nobody wants to play like a one-dimensional brainless moonballer.

Clay Death
10-08-2009, 12:23 AM
Gulbis may not have the results but how is he not right? Perfect example, Nadull standing 20 ft behind the baseline moonablling. Pathetic.

you dont win 6 slams on all surfaces and 15 masters shields on all surfaces by moonballing.

now go get a clue or buy one. or just go follow mud wrestling. it is an easier sport to understand.

-Evita-
10-08-2009, 12:32 AM
he definitely has work to do. fitness is one area where he needs significant work.

:rolleyes: If he can play 3 days in a row like he did in DC recently, win a 5 set match on Friday, lose a 5 set match on Saturday, and win a 4 set match on Sunday, I don't think his fitness needs significant work. He's been working on it all year long.

gulbis just doesn't have the same ambition as other players do from poorer backgrounds. It's like seeing Richie Rich occupy his idle time.

:rolleyes:

FlameOn
10-08-2009, 12:32 AM
:lol: Good one Ernie.

Who's he to criticize anyway? Most Spanish players are a whole lot more successful than he right now. :D

Clay Death
10-08-2009, 12:37 AM
:rolleyes: If he can play 3 days in a row like he did in DC recently, win a 5 set match on Friday, lose a 5 set match on Saturday, and win a 4 set match on Sunday, I don't think his fitness needs significant work. He's been working on it all year long.

:rolleyes:

that was a one time event so we will see how he fares going forward. maybe he has made some gains in his fitness.

i watched him play a few matches last year and the story was about the same in most of the matches he lost. he is a big fellow (around 6 foot 3) and if he loses interest in his matches after a while then it may be safe to assume that he does not train hard either.

he just doesnt looked determined and driven to me.

fast_clay
10-08-2009, 12:39 AM
yes spanish players are very lazy hanging out at the back of the court looking for a bit of shade...

HKz
10-08-2009, 01:51 AM
This is news how....?

Caralimon
10-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Is it me or Gulbis thinks he's better than anybody else?

fast_clay
10-08-2009, 02:13 AM
spanish players should use designated time at change of ends to make use of shady areas and not loaf around at the back of the court during rallies... gutless officiating for the most part...

fsoica
10-08-2009, 04:09 AM
gulbis will thrash nadull next time they meet with perfect attacking tennis....

JolánGagó
10-08-2009, 05:25 AM
He wishes. He's a nobody.

crude oil
10-08-2009, 05:47 AM
how is this a dig at spaniards?

gulbis isn't saying that spanish style tennis is bad/good. he is implying its not appropriate for his style of tennis though.

jonathancrane
10-08-2009, 06:37 AM
"I was playing like a Spanish player -- two metres behind the baseline doing nothing"

:lol:
Really Ernie? Nothing?

Dini
10-08-2009, 06:43 AM
He won't have any Spanish fans a after this.

-Evita-
10-08-2009, 06:49 AM
I understand that everyone wants to see this as a dig, it's more interesting that way, right? But Gulbis is not a native English speaker so I have a feeling a lot got lost in translation. This reminds me of the time during Wimbledon when Gulbis said something about the Murray match a year ago, how Murray had been faking an injury or something like that. Everybody went for Gulbis's head but it turned out to be just a misunderstanding, or a miscommunication on Gulbis's part. I think this is the same, all Gulbis wanted to say was that he wasn't playing his attacking style and that's why he kept losing matches. Maybe he didn't know the correct English word for that style of tennis (not-attacking) so he tried to explain it :shrug:

Dini
10-08-2009, 06:54 AM
He's not the first player to mention "the Spanish way of tennis". I've seen that comment made by someone else (a player) recently in the news I just can't remember who it was. :o

moon language
10-08-2009, 06:57 AM
I understand that everyone wants to see this as a dig, it's more interesting that way, right? But Gulbis is not a native English speaker so I have a feeling a lot got lost in translation. This reminds me of the time during Wimbledon when Gulbis said something about the Murray match a year ago, how Murray had been faking an injury or something like that. Everybody went for Gulbis's head but it turned out to be just a misunderstanding, or a miscommunication on Gulbis's part. I think this is the same, all Gulbis wanted to say was that he wasn't playing his attacking style and that's why he kept losing matches. Maybe he didn't know the correct English word for that style of tennis (not-attacking) so he tried to explain it :shrug:

I agree. Also text is easy to misinterpret without hearing how he actually said these things. The only part that could be seen as a dig would be the "doing nothing" part, but that may not have been intended as part of his description of Spanish players and rather a description of what he was doing while two meters behind the baseline, which is not where his style can be effective.

born_on_clay
10-08-2009, 07:01 AM
well to be brutally exact, some of the spanish players have achieved hell of a lot more than he has so it would be better to just keep his trap shut at least until he starts to show that he can win something.

lot of people feel E-Gul has potential but he still cannot win more than 2-3 matches in a row. we need to see more evidence of progress from E-Gul.

agreed in 100%
next.

Har-Tru
10-08-2009, 09:04 AM
He won't have any Spanish fans a after this.

Did he have any before?

Dini
10-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Did he have any before?

Yeah.

bokehlicious
10-08-2009, 10:03 AM
:yeah: Spot on! That kid is growing on me :hatoff: :D

Bargearse
10-08-2009, 10:06 AM
It's true that many Spanish players hang behind the baseline, but they aren't necessarily doing nothing, they are keeping the ball in play. Gulbis was hanging back and making shitloads of unforced errors whilst watching is ranking plumment from the heights of his private jet.

It isn't his style of play, fair enough. Now, he is playing the way he should. However, he has replaced his poor shot selection with poor word selection. He needs to think more about what he is saying. But hey, he isn't the first tennis player to have a big mouth.:shrug:

Burrow
10-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Gulbis is correct in what he's saying, it's hardly a dig.

JolánGagó
10-08-2009, 10:16 AM
But hey, he isn't the first tennis player to have a big mouth.:shrug:

Big mouth is cool if you're a JohnyMac, a Becker or a Muster. If you're a spoilt rich kid for whom 3d round at a MM tourney is an achievement you better bleach your mouth when talking of players achieving what you can only dream about.

Forehander
10-08-2009, 10:24 AM
uh... definitely not the smartest thing to say when you've achieved nothing much on the circuit lol but never boring to see extra drama.

-Evita-
10-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Big mouth is cool if you're a JohnyMac, a Becker or a Muster. If you're a spoilt rich kid for whom 3d round at a MM tourney is an achievement you better bleach your mouth when talking of players achieving what you can only dream about.

He didn't talk about any players or achievements :rolleyes: He was talking about a style of play and how it didn't suit him. What's so hard to understand about that? :confused:

bokehlicious
10-08-2009, 10:28 AM

Would you have such a gut reaction if he mentionned the French instead of the Spaniards? :scratch:

:haha: :haha: :awww: :hug: :hug:

Castafiore
10-08-2009, 10:33 AM
What's so hard to understand about that? :confused:
It's a poor way to express himself about that "style of play" so it's quite easy to misunderstand it. :shrug:

I'm guessing that he meant that the Spanish style is to stay far behind the baseline and let the opponent take the initiative. Even so, it's a bit of a sweeping statement to make and an odd one from a pro.

Bargearse
10-08-2009, 10:40 AM

Gulbis has a bravado and swagger that suggests he is a better, more successful player than he is. Not surprised he said what he did. Guess it is surprising he can eat with that mouth.

-Evita-
10-08-2009, 10:41 AM
It's a poor way to express himself about that "style of play" so it's quite easy to misunderstand it. :shrug:

I'm guessing that he meant that the Spanish style is to stay far behind the baseline and let the opponent take the initiative. Even so, it's a bit of a sweeping statement to make and an odd one from a pro.

I agree it's a poor way to express it, but as I said, English is not his first language and it's not like he's giving interviews after every match. He doesn't have a lot of experience in handling the media. I just don't get why some people here are treating it as if he's belittling the achievements of Spanish players. Seriously? I mean, why would he do that? I've read every interview he's given in the past 3-4 years and he's never said anything like that :shrug: And this is just half a sentence, and only a transcript.

Castafiore
10-08-2009, 10:43 AM
^ A run-of-the-mill quote from a tennis player is not really worth the effort of opening a thread on GM.

A_Skywalker
10-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Gulbis is jealous he can't win as much as spanish and argentinian players.
He has the potential to win matches, but he doesn't have any brain.

MariaV
10-08-2009, 10:50 AM
I agree it's a poor way to express it, but as I said, English is not his first language and it's not like he's giving interviews after every match. He doesn't have a lot of experience in handling the media. I just don't get why some people here are treating it as if he's belittling the achievements of Spanish players. Seriously? I mean, why would he do that? I've read every interview he's given in the past 3-4 years and he's never said anything like that :shrug: And this is just half a sentence, and only a transcript.

Gee Evita, the OP is just trying to stir things up, of coruse there's no dig. He hasn't mention any names or achievements so ... :shrug: :D :hug:

JolánGagó
10-08-2009, 10:57 AM
He didn't talk about any players or achievements :rolleyes: He was talking about a style of play and how it didn't suit him. What's so hard to understand about that? :confused:

"do like a Spanish player, staying behind the baseline and doing nothing"

well i have no insight into his mind, can only judge by what he says, what he says here seems pretty clear to me and it's utter BS even by a MTFer, let alone a tennis pro :shrug:

JolánGagó
10-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Would you have such a gut reaction if he mentionned the French instead of the Spaniards? :scratch:

:haha: :haha: :awww: :hug: :hug:

Captain Obvious has spoken... :rolleyes:

:spit:

-Evita-
10-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Gulbis is jealous he can't win as much as spanish and argentinian players.

I'm sure you're right. He didn't specify any Spaniards so I'll just choose a random Spaniard to compare him with. There are 11 Spanish players above him in the rankings at the moment and about 80 players below him so the odds are the random player will be ranked below him. Say, Ferrer-Victoria, Cesar ranked 585. I'm sure Gulbis is very jealous of him :yeah:

Gee Evita, the OP is just trying to stir things up, of coruse there's no dig. He hasn't mention any names or achievements so ... :shrug: :D :hug:

:hug:

"do like a Spanish player, staying behind the baseline and doing nothing"

well i have no insight into his mind, can only judge by what he says, what he says here seems pretty clear to me and it's utter BS even by a MTFer, let alone a tennis pro :shrug:

As another poster already pointed out, the 'doing nothing' part probably refers to him, not to the Spanish players.

Jōris
10-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Gulbis speaks truth. Unfortunately he's still a choking UE-machine until he shows he can deliver.

bokehlicious
10-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Captain Obvious has spoken... :rolleyes:

:spit:

I love it when you get all sensitive on the "matter" :awww: :hug:

as I already warned you, if you can't take it back then don't dish it out :hug: :D

JolánGagó
10-08-2009, 11:20 AM
sensitive? :spit:

i can take it all, honey. you're ejaculating too precociously, we haven't even got the room yet :rolls:

http://www.iguanabio.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/priligy.jpg

VolandriFan
10-08-2009, 11:54 AM
What a fag!

malisha
10-08-2009, 12:39 PM
show thise spanish grinders how to get it done Erno:D

timafi
10-08-2009, 12:43 PM
ouch! :lol:

Nidhogg
10-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Ernests better watch out. Using stereotypes in whatever context spells doom in this age of political correctness.

This is about as offending as how all tennisplayers felt like they hit the jackpot drawing a Spaniard on grass a couple of years back.

rocketassist
10-08-2009, 02:04 PM
uh... definitely not the smartest thing to say when you've achieved nothing much on the circuit lol but never boring to see extra drama.

Yeah but MTF on a whole comment on players when they've achieved nothing in tennis so what's the fucking difference?

:confused:

Iván
10-08-2009, 02:55 PM
these kind of comments could turn ernie into a mtf fave.

well done ernest.

kandygram
10-08-2009, 02:58 PM
From Gulbis
"I'm playing my game, being more aggressive. Things have stabilised now. Tennis is a game of confidence. When you win, you don't think. I thought too much before."

I guess that explains the things he says to reporters as well. :smoke:

Goldenoldie
10-08-2009, 03:25 PM
oh dear, just as I was beginning to have a bit more respect for Gulbis! Never mind, respect is something he clearly isn't interested in.

Clay Death
10-08-2009, 04:41 PM

affirmative. he has work to do. no need to run his mouth without something to show for other than that private jet and the family wealth.

the progress that i expected from him never arrived.

HattonWBA
10-08-2009, 04:58 PM

Excactly

Julio
10-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Ernest : The Mug !!!

Ichiban1920
10-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Just because you're successful by moonballing 20 feet behind the baseline doesn't mean you're a good player. Of course playing it safe and moonballing 20 ft behind the baseline won't lose you too many matches.

rocketassist
10-08-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm sure you bitter babies are all jealous of Gulbis' wealth and talent as well. :wavey:

fast_clay
10-08-2009, 06:13 PM
spanish players need to learn that the words 'siesta' and 'rally' are not meant to go together... zzzz...

A_Skywalker
10-08-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm sure you're right. He didn't specify any Spaniards so I'll just choose a random Spaniard to compare him with. There are 11 Spanish players above him in the rankings at the moment and about 80 players below him so the odds are the random player will be ranked below him. Say, Ferrer-Victoria, Cesar ranked 585. I'm sure Gulbis is very jealous of him :yeah:

Your logic is astonishing.
Of course he talks about the top guys, Spain has a lot of players because they are one of the best tennis countries. Of course they will have lower ranked players that are developing and will one day be at the top or not. You can't have only good ranked players if you have over 60 players in the ranking.

spanish_army
10-08-2009, 06:48 PM

+1

Gulbis, you have to talk less and play tennis better.
This season has been a disaster. Shut up, don't compare your fucking style with Spanish one and
practice more!!

oranges
10-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Wow, what controversy :lol: Outrageous to indicate that the majority of Spanish players are claycourters who like to camp close to linesmen :lol:

-Evita-
10-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Your logic is astonishing.
Of course he talks about the top guys, Spain has a lot of players because they are one of the best tennis countries. Of course they will have lower ranked players that are developing and will one day be at the top or not. You can't have only good ranked players if you have over 60 players in the ranking.

I wonder how you can know that :scratch: I don't think he talks about any guys at all, I think he was comparing playing styles and saying he couldn't attack well while standing 2 metres behind the baseline. But of course everyone will see what they want to see so this arguing is probably useless.

Certinfy
10-08-2009, 07:07 PM
:lol: :worship:

FiBeR
10-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Im sooo happy for Gulbis

I was impressed with him during the US Open first round against Murray.. He was playing awesomely

Last week he pushed Tsonga to the extreme.. Now this.. 2 wins in a row.. Im so happy the guy is finally putting it together

fast_clay
10-08-2009, 07:51 PM
gulbis is right... probably the worst result of the fuentes era was how the players were affected by the valium content of the notorious 'fuentes cocktail'... lopez is a fine example of a spanish style flourishing outside of this influence...

Bilbo
10-08-2009, 08:03 PM
not surprised gulbis said this. he's a tool and brainless guy.

TennisLurker
10-08-2009, 08:16 PM
He must have never seen his new coach Gumy (whom he likes so much) play.

I do think it was a rude comment.
A few years ago it looked like defensive tennis on clay was outdated and that all new clay court champions would be aggressive baseliners like Kuerten, Moya and Ferrero.

Coria was the first defensive clay courter to achieve huge success past that, and then came Nadal.
But then, both are/were extremely talented, much more than Gulbis. Saying they do nothing is ridiculous.

rocketassist
10-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Nadal fanboys, two words and they begin with F and O.

TennisLurker
10-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Nadal fanboys, two words and they begin with F and O.

French Open?

Roddickominator
10-08-2009, 08:53 PM
I don't see the big deal. Most Spanish players are in fact, "2 metres behind the baseline doing nothing". To be fair, it isn't only the Spanish....most claycourters do this regardless of their nationality.

Corey Feldman
10-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Nadal fanboys, two words and they begin with F and O.:haha:

and i'll add a C at the end

VolandriFan
10-09-2009, 03:30 AM
Just because you're successful by moonballing 20 feet behind the baseline doesn't mean you're a good player. Of course playing it safe and moonballing 20 ft behind the baseline won't lose you too many matches.

You need the consistency, speed and defensive skills to back up Spanish moonballing, which is why someone like Gulbis can barely win a match employing these tactics.

Kitty de Sade
10-09-2009, 03:59 AM

Absolutely this. :yeah:

Interesting who takes the shots at Gulbis too and why. If he were just an unmotivated trust fund baby, he wouldn't care at all to make the attempt to improve, change coaches, tactics, etc.

Sunset of Age
10-09-2009, 04:03 AM
It's quite funny to see people being so upset whenever a random quote of whatever-a-player is posted on MTF, taken out of context completely, as usual.

~sigh~ :rolleyes:

Dougie
10-09-2009, 04:14 AM

So basically what you´re saying is that "moonballing" doesn´t require much skill but it still wins you lots of matches? That´s quite a controversy, especially when we´re talking about a professional sport. If it´s so easy, why don´t everybody moonball then? You think Karlovic plays the way he plays because he thinks moonballing would be easier and more succesful, but his own game is simply aesthetically more pleasing?

MIMIC
10-09-2009, 04:28 AM
Lmao

the graduate
10-09-2009, 04:30 PM
he should shut his bratty mouth up,until he wins a big title or reach top ten he should shut the hell up.

Sapeod
10-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Good one Ernests :yeah:

FairWeatherFan
10-09-2009, 11:41 PM
Nice to see an attacking player take a funny shot at claycourters.

Corey Feldman
10-10-2009, 12:07 AM
he should shut his bratty mouth up,until he wins a big title or reach top ten he should shut the hell up.

you should STFU

L James
07-30-2010, 10:37 AM
This must be one of Gulbis' favourite quotes. Again after his loss to Falla at Los Angeles:

“If you don’t fish for two months, maybe you don’t fish too well,” the 21-year-old told reporters with a smile. “I was so tired. It was really tough for me to go for long rallies.

“I was trying to make the points shorter and couldn’t make any winners. I was running like a Spanish claycourt player. This was a joke.”

Certinfy
07-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Haha, I actually rate Gulbis for this.

debby
07-30-2010, 11:32 AM
He is so pathetic :lol: At least, Spanish players CAN actually reach top 10, a thing he has never done although it is his goal :lol: What a loser.

eze
07-30-2010, 11:47 AM
He is so pathetic :lol: At least, Spanish players CAN actually reach top 10, a thing he has never done although it is his goal :lol: What a loser.

He´ll be there, no worries..and in the meantime he can entertain us with his edgy comments:)

Certinfy
07-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Haha this is a good point. :lol:

A_Skywalker
07-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Pathethic really, spanish players are way better than him in any department. And I dont count Nadal here.

timafi
07-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Ernie should focus on his whores and keep his trap shut:tape::o:o:o

-Evita-
07-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Here's a slightly different quote from the Montreal Gazette:

"Nothing worked today," said Gulbis who was playing his first tournament in two months after injuring his hamstring. "I was just running like a Spanish clay court player standing on the baseline and pushing the ball back. Women’s tennis."

Now you can tear him apart for saying Spanish claycourters play like women :lol: :rolleyes:

Gulbis is rarely serious in his interviews, he always tries to joke around. In this case I believe he's using the "Spanish claycourters" to describe the playing style that's completely opposite to his own style and he was saying that his attacking style wasn't working so he tried to play by just pushing the ball back. Obviously that didn't work too well either.

But it's hard to analyze his comments without an audio or a video source.

christallh24
07-30-2010, 12:19 PM
I like Gulbis' tennis, but he's not smart, is he? Seriously, someone should point out that several "spanish claycourt players" are ranked ahead of him:

#1.Nadal, Rafael
#10.Verdasco, Fernando
#12.Ferrer, David
#18.Alamagro, Nicolas
#22.Ferrero, Juan Carlos
#23.Montanes, Albert
#27.Lopez, Feliciano

Spain probably has as many or more players in the top forty or fifty than any other country. He's 3-0 against Rafa. On grass, hard and clay Rafael has beat him. So for all his talent, he's no better than them.

bokehlicious
07-30-2010, 12:20 PM
This kid is definitely growing on me :hearts: :D :p

Bilbo
07-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Another stupid remark from Gulbis. Not surprising.

Before he talks trash he should probably learn first how to behave on court. His uncountable racket smashes yesterday were just pathetic.

Persimmon
07-30-2010, 02:22 PM

misty1
07-30-2010, 02:52 PM
oh give him a break he's not insulting spanish tennis players or spanish tennis so all these remarks about how stupid he is are pointless and uncalled for.

Lleyton_
07-30-2010, 03:10 PM

Tommy_Vercetti
07-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Yes, but why would Richie bother with mediocre tennis. For the fame? You get plenty of women by just being rich. No need for the stress.

tangerine_dream
07-30-2010, 05:21 PM
I wonder if Ernie's into erotic spanking?

(just wondering out loud)

superslam77
07-31-2010, 01:12 AM
wow i just became a big Gulbistard. Look out Amanda and other fangirls!!! I am stealing him from u ;)

FiBeR
07-31-2010, 07:01 AM
This year he kicked off in Doha losing to Federer. He lost in back-to-back tournaments (incl. AO). Took out czech duo Stepanek and Berdych to lose to Querrey on american soil. Won Delray Beach (Karlovic 6-2 6-3). In IW, lost to prime Davydenko on the same day Nikolay revealed he was playing with a broken wrist. Clay and Wawrinka takes him off Montecarlo. Player of the clay season Verdasco (apart from the unstoppable Nadal) in Barcelona. The run in Rome downing Federer, taking out crowd-favourite Volandri and pushing Nadal to 3 touch sets in the semifinals (3 big tests). Quarterfinal at Madrid losing to Roger in 3 and we reach the end of the line with his retirement in Roland Garros. Losing to a colombian (the back-to-back losses came to Monaco and Leo Mayer). His coaching does sound efficient to me.

So, since he hired a former "pusher" who speaks spanish, what point does it make to criticize his coach's gameplan improvement? doesnt make much sense to me if he was serious, :p

oranges
07-31-2010, 09:43 AM
Funnily enough, only Nadaltards have their panties in a bunch over any of this. Pics, JCF and other Spaniards' fans seem unperturbed. Guess they don't know a grave insult when they see it, after all it's not possible that tards are tightassed, humorless bunch with reading comprehension problems when the chosen one is even implied :haha:

Stelle
07-31-2010, 10:50 AM

Before he talks trash he should probably learn first how to behave on court. His uncountable racket smashes yesterday were just pathetic.

It was 2 :rolleyes:

christallh24
07-31-2010, 11:15 AM
after all it's not possible that tards are tightassed, humorless bunch with reading comprehension problems.

I guess with having the same, you project these traits onto others.

And I didn't know FiBER is a nadaltard.

Har-Tru
07-31-2010, 11:24 AM
But Spanish claycourters DO run a lot, don´t they? What´s the problem then? :confused:

JolánGagó
07-31-2010, 11:38 AM
total loser, he'll never be half of a Robredo.

christallh24
07-31-2010, 11:43 AM
^^:lol:

oranges
07-31-2010, 12:49 PM
I guess with having the same, you project these traits onto others.
:hug: I'm glad you recognized yourself. Reading comprehension improving?

Bilbo
07-31-2010, 01:10 PM

agreed

christallh24
07-31-2010, 02:18 PM
:hug: I'm glad you recognized yourself. Reading comprehension improving?

Your tardism cured? *ignores you now*

kindling
07-31-2010, 02:48 PM

God forbid, a tennis player with a personality!

They all should have the persona of cardboard, shouldn't they? And be polite, nice boys.

Gag.

Bilbo
07-31-2010, 02:57 PM
It was 2 :rolleyes:

obviously we have seen a different match

however, you would defend gulbis even if he killed someone

Elena.
07-31-2010, 03:05 PM

Robredo ? :haha: Better Gulbis who may never do much but at least is entertaining .Each one of his points is different from the other ,i have never seen anybody toying with Rogie as he did in a match that ,okay,he lost but who cares ! It was just fun !!! What about Robredo ? lol

christallh24
07-31-2010, 03:07 PM
At first glance, it looks derogatory. But he probably was being sarcastic or just joking around.

ad-out
07-31-2010, 05:00 PM
wow i just became a big Gulbistard. Look out Amanda and other fangirls!!! I am stealing him from u ;)

:lol: Hands off! With every interview I love him more. Even better was the comment "actually I don't know the rules" when discussing the racket breaking. :hearts:

Sapeod
07-31-2010, 05:19 PM

Pathethic really, spanish players are way better than him in any department. And I dont count Nadal here.

I like Gulbis' tennis, but he's not smart, is he? Seriously, someone should point out that several "spanish claycourt players" are ranked ahead of him:

#1.Nadal, Rafael
#10.Verdasco, Fernando
#12.Ferrer, David
#18.Alamagro, Nicolas
#22.Ferrero, Juan Carlos
#23.Montanes, Albert
#27.Lopez, Feliciano

Spain probably has as many or more players in the top forty or fifty than any other country. He's 3-0 against Rafa. On grass, hard and clay Rafael has beat him. So for all his talent, he's no better than them.

Whatever STDs he's gotten from his whores have clearly affected his brain.

agreed

All of you are just humourless Nadulltards :wavey:
Please, get a sense of humour :retard:

Gulbis has tonnes of personality.
Like someone said before, would you dulltards rather he had the personality of a cardboard box?

Start da Game
07-31-2010, 05:47 PM
an erratic idiot talking disrespectfully about spanish matadors.......pathetic stuff.......

FormerRafaFan
07-31-2010, 07:09 PM

+1. He's allowed to say what he feels, but the thing is that those base liners have actually accomplished a lot more than he has so far. I don't think he's earned enough credit as a player to be this arrogant so early in his career.

+2. Couldn't agree more. I think he's mostly jealous, or envious, of them. After all, Nadal has accomplished a lot more in the past few months than he has during his entire career. Did he forget he actually LOST to Nadal not too long ago? I think he should show a bit more respect for the spanish players. Spain is probably the best tennis country in the world right now.

Roddickominator
07-31-2010, 09:29 PM
Gulbis is an arrogant kid....he obviously feels that his brand of tennis is better than WTA style Spanish pushing. Even if they are ranked higher than him, he doesn't respect that style of play so he still thinks he is above it. Either way the comments are hilarious and he should keep it up.

Sapeod
07-31-2010, 09:35 PM
an erratic idiot talking disrespectfully about spanish matadors.......pathetic stuff.......

+1. He's allowed to say what he feels, but the thing is that those base liners have actually accomplished a lot more than he has so far. I don't think he's earned enough credit as a player to be this arrogant so early in his career.

+2. Couldn't agree more. I think he's mostly jealous, or envious, of them. After all, Nadal has accomplished a lot more in the past few months than he has during his entire career. Did he forget he actually LOST to Nadal not too long ago? I think he should show a bit more respect for the spanish players. Spain is probably the best tennis country in the world right now.

Gulbis is an arrogant kid....he obviously feels that his brand of tennis is better than WTA style Spanish pushing. Even if they are ranked higher than him, he doesn't respect that style of play so he still thinks he is above it. Either way the comments are hilarious and he should keep it up.
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Roddickominator
08-01-2010, 12:00 AM
One of those doesn't belong. Reading comprehension is your friend Sunshine.

Stelle
08-01-2010, 12:08 AM

You were talking about the Falla match. He broke two. Derr. Next time get your facts right before you type stuff. Just cos Ernests is cooler than you :) Can't players have some personality now? I would rather him be like this and make funny comments and have a funny personality than a boring person.

christallh24
08-01-2010, 12:25 AM
All of you are just humourless Nadulltards :wavey:
Please, get a sense of humour :retard:

Oh, this is rich coming from you. Aren't you the Murray/DelPotard declaring them multi-majors winners and the future of tennis? Go sit in a corner and suck your pacifier, little one.

Filo V.
08-01-2010, 03:47 PM
If all Spaniards are far behind the baseline clay-court only mugs, what does that make Lopez and Verdasco :confused: