So........ in hindsight, how did Andy Murray handle the pressure this year? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

So........ in hindsight, how did Andy Murray handle the pressure this year?

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
10-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Fave for the AO, didn't get anywhere

did well at FO but was hardly convincing and never a threat

at Wimbledon, HUGE fave- the british media decided he was Jesus for 2 weeks- the stars aligned, Nadal died, Fed was in poor form, everyone else couldn't win- and he gets owned by 1 hit wonder Roddick (<-- who has more clay titles than grass titles, true story)

finally at the US OPEN, same old story, didn't do anything again

all in all- how do you rate Murray's year considering he was hyped up to do some amazing things

orangehat
10-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Expected.

jonathancrane
10-07-2009, 12:29 PM

at Wimbledon, HUGE fave- the british media decided he was Jesus for 2 weeks- the stars aligned, Nadal died, Fed was in poor form, everyone else couldn't win- and he gets owned by 1 hit wonder Roddick (<-- who has more clay titles than grass titles, true story)

all in all- how do you rate Murray's year considering he was hyped up to do some amazing things

:confused:
Roddick is a better player on grass than Murray

stebs
10-07-2009, 12:32 PM
He was poor where it mattered and an impressive non-slam year doesn't make up for his inability to play big matches well. The Roddick match is forgivable imo because Roddick actually played HUGE in the big moments and for me when the American plays like that on grass he is as good or better than Murray anyway. Other slams though he just wasn't good enough, got outplayed and yes they were good performances against him but to win a slam you have to face the hot players and beat them, Murray folded.

sammy01
10-07-2009, 12:36 PM
others stepped it up in slams against him, he didn't. think that sums it up.

10-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Murray just really bottled it at the end of the day

it really PISSES me off to think about it

NAdal will never let him win any Wimbledon again- the spartan is just too strong on natural surfaces....

with the spartan out of the way, Federer is always beatable when you put pressure on him- all Murray needed was to get Roddick out of the way.
i agree Roddick is a great player- but honestly- Murray had 100% crowd support

even at flushing, the boisterous americans give both players support- sort of like an 80-20 split in favor of their own home grown heroes- however, at Wimbledon you get 100% crowd support ALWAYS

and with that kind of support comes expectation, because- Murray isn't one Master shield Henman- Murray is a REAL contender... he's like Hatton- before we all found out Hatton couldn't box for shit, he's like Bruno, before we found out Tyson could sneeze and bruno would fall over

he's like........ wait, he's not like any other british sportsman in the world-= Murray is the real deal- no hype required.

and this year with the spartan not there he had SUUUUUUUUUUUUCH a good chance to win it-

Now Del potro is going to improve, theres fresh blood from dimitrov and others on the horizon and Federer is hanging on as long as he can- and theres always that spanish spartan hungry for everything.

how will murray even get to the semis- forget about winning

/rant

philosophicalarf
10-07-2009, 12:41 PM
French Open and Wimbledon he did as his game allowed, then ran into superior players on the surface - no disgrace there. Aus Open he caught a virus, and ran into a red-hot Verdasco. US Open he had a wrist injury, which has caused him to pull out of Tokyo since, and probably Shanghai too.

Don't see a problem, myself. Although his grass game may develop in years to come, at the moment he basically has two genuine slam chances, and wasn't physically fit at either.

He may need to look to his preparation and focus - he's played a lot of matches this year, and his style means long rallies, and lots of wear and tear on the body. He was also looking more and more tired as the season went on - even in Montreal while winning it.

tennishero
10-07-2009, 12:46 PM
murray's second serve isn't that bad. his whole game revolves around pushing though.

btw, tennis-hero, original name :)

rocketassist
10-07-2009, 12:53 PM
The opponents deserved a lot of credit, Verdasco for being inspired, Gonzo for showing how to play the clay court game and Roddick for being a man with balls on the big points. Volleying like Edberg at *5-6 set point for example.

Murray had a wrist injury in the USO and while he didn't want to make any excuses, that was clearly the issue. Cilic deserved to win but he was handed the match tbh. In some cases ppl have said Murray can get outhit by a big hitter on a good day but that was not the case in this one :shrug:

rocketassist
10-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Murray just really bottled it at the end of the day

it really PISSES me off to think about it

NAdal will never let him win any Wimbledon again- the spartan is just too strong on natural surfaces....

with the spartan out of the way, Federer is always beatable when you put pressure on him- all Murray needed was to get Roddick out of the way.
i agree Roddick is a great player- but honestly- Murray had 100% crowd support

even at flushing, the boisterous americans give both players support- sort of like an 80-20 split in favor of their own home grown heroes- however, at Wimbledon you get 100% crowd support ALWAYS

and with that kind of support comes expectation, because- Murray isn't one Master shield Henman- Murray is a REAL contender... he's like Hatton- before we all found out Hatton couldn't box for shit, he's like Bruno, before we found out Tyson could sneeze and bruno would fall over

he's like........ wait, he's not like any other british sportsman in the world-= Murray is the real deal- no hype required.

and this year with the spartan not there he had SUUUUUUUUUUUUCH a good chance to win it-

Now Del potro is going to improve, theres fresh blood from dimitrov and others on the horizon and Federer is hanging on as long as he can- and theres always that spanish spartan hungry for everything.

how will murray even get to the semis- forget about winning

/rant

Dimitrov :lol:

tennishero
10-07-2009, 12:56 PM
The opponents deserved a lot of credit, Verdasco for being inspired, Gonzo for showing how to play the clay court game and Roddick for being a man with balls on the big points. Volleying like Edberg at *5-6 set point for example.

Murray had a wrist injury in the USO and while he didn't want to make any excuses, that was clearly the issue. Cilic deserved to win but he was handed the match tbh. In some cases ppl have said Murray can get outhit by a big hitter on a good day but that was not the case in this one :shrug:

wake up, cilic completely overpowered murray.

rocketassist
10-07-2009, 12:57 PM

Did he fuck. He played okay but that was it.

Dini
10-07-2009, 12:58 PM
others stepped it up in slams against him, he didn't. think that sums it up.

This.

tennishero
10-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Did he fuck. He played okay but that was it.

open ur eyes next time u watch a match moron.

philosophicalarf
10-07-2009, 01:05 PM

I said it was an overreaction at the time - Cilic did nothing special, and Murray clearly wasn't 100%. Lo and behold, he's had to withdraw from Tokyo, and is 50/50 to miss Shanghai (and thus not defend his Madrid points, and probably drop to number 5 in the world).

Murray vs Cilic is not a match when they're both fit. Even on Roland Garros clay, where Murray is a quarter of the player he is on hard, it was straight sets.

rocketassist
10-07-2009, 01:05 PM

Roger-Vasselin completely outplayed Del Potro.

oranges
10-07-2009, 01:06 PM
:lol: @ option 4, it's not too far off

tennishero
10-07-2009, 01:11 PM

he probably did. i didnt watch the match, but delpo was clearly ill. murray had no real excuse besides an apparent "wrist" injury, eventhough he played his usual pushing game and got smashed in 3 sets.

rocketassist
10-07-2009, 01:19 PM
he probably did. i didnt watch the match, but delpo was clearly ill. murray had no real excuse besides an apparent "wrist" injury, eventhough he played his usual pushing game and got smashed in 3 sets.

So one' excuse' is allowed and the other isn't? The one that's keeping him out of Tokyo/Shanghai

Fuck off son. You're a **** who only cares about big names, as the Pavel thread showed.

Dini
10-07-2009, 01:25 PM
I thought Murray was agressive for the vast majority of the Wimbledon SF but Roddick was just too solid on the big points (and that's when Murray was at his most defensive).

sammy01
10-07-2009, 01:35 PM
the thing with murray is hes a counter-puncher 'pusher' whatever you want to call it at heart, so when in grand slams the pressures on, and its time for him to step upto the plate, his natural reaction to the pressure is to become more defensive as thats his modus operandi.

in lesser tournaments when the pressure is less, its easier to over-ride his natural wants to be defensive.

this gives other players a chance to step up against him in slams and take their chances, and their are many players out there that are the opposite to murray and go for it more as the pressure increases. as the old saying goes fortune favours the brave, and murray is learning this in a tough way at slams this year.

Clydey
10-07-2009, 01:37 PM

AO = He was sick

FO = Did as well as could be expected

Wimbledon = Biggest letdown of the season. Should have at least reached the final

USO = Wrist injury.

All in all, a lot of bad luck. His results outside of the slams have been great, but he has been unlucky in the 2 HC slams.

Clydey
10-07-2009, 01:40 PM

So Murray is feigning his wrist injury, then? He's skipping tournaments just for kicks?

sammy01
10-07-2009, 01:45 PM
So Murray is feigning his wrist injury, then? He's skipping tournaments just for kicks?

your argument would hold more weight if he didn't play 3 davis cup matches the weekend after the us open.

habibko
10-07-2009, 01:47 PM
he ran into two in-form players in AO and USO and lost two matches he was supposed to win, because he is prone to being hit off the court due to the nature of his game being a retriever.

in the other two slams he lost to the better clay courter and grass courter, end of story.

Vida
10-07-2009, 01:47 PM
I thought he did rather well. expectations were huge, by far bigger than what his real potential was this year. yes he folded at slams, particularly in Wimbledon and USO. against Roddick, the number of times he went to the net was like one, or two. Roddick did play great but Murray could've done better imo. in New York, it was my impression the pressure did got to him, and it was a cause of his woeful edition more so than wrist injury. I just don't see a clear connection between left wrist injury (tendonitis) and such poor play, so in my mind it was pressure. in both cases however, it is hard to believe he could've gone further even if he had played better and more offensive tennis.

he was fine in Australia, Nando was simply on fire and he could've done not much more.

other than slams, he was great.

paseo
10-07-2009, 01:54 PM
If he really was injured against Cilic at the USO09, then he did well. cause Verdasco was on fire, Gonzalez is a better clay courter, and Roddick is a very good grass court player who had a great tournament at wimbledon.

rocketassist
10-07-2009, 01:58 PM
If he really was injured against Cilic at the USO09, then he did well. cause Verdasco was on fire, Gonzalez is a better clay courter, and Roddick is a very good grass court player who had a great tournament at wimbledon.

This.

rocketassist
10-07-2009, 02:00 PM
your argument would hold more weight if he didn't play 3 davis cup matches the weekend after the us open.

I'm pretty sure any top 20 player could beat Janowicz and Prsyziezny with an injury providing it wasn't a broken bone/ligament damage.

out_here_grindin
10-07-2009, 02:04 PM
So these poll options are biased, no?

sammy01
10-07-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm pretty sure any top 20 player could beat Janowicz and Prsyziezny with an injury providing it wasn't a broken bone/ligament damage.

no sane player would try

tennishero
10-07-2009, 02:27 PM
So one' excuse' is allowed and the other isn't? The one that's keeping him out of Tokyo/Shanghai

Fuck off son. You're a **** who only cares about big names, as the Pavel thread showed.

u talk so much rubbish, its hard to take you seriously, do everyone a favour and stfu retard.

tangerine_dream
10-07-2009, 02:41 PM
I thought Murray handled the pressure at Wimbledon very well, he just had the bad luck of running into a superior grasscourt player on the day. :)

CmonAussie
10-07-2009, 02:46 PM
depends on your perspective - is he the best British player since Fred Perry,, YES..!!
is he one of the top 3 or 4 players in the World,, YES..!!
did he backup his 2008 results in 2009,, YES..[exceeded them with the exception being @ USO]!!
does he play too defensively sometimes,, YES..!!
did he disappoint at the slams this year,, somewhat..
is he still a good chance to win slams in the future,, YES..!!
is he a future #1,, maybe..

Leo
10-07-2009, 03:20 PM
I think Murray will be fine. He's situated himself as a fixture in the Top 4 with his consistency.

But he needs to step up his intensity at Slams. His attitude in the Cilic loss in NY was worrying. He may have to wait a bit for things to fall his way at a Slam as he doesn't have the weapons or firepower to just pull a Del Potro. I expect him to be one of the favorites again at the upcoming majors, BUT people/"experts" will pick him to win less. Wimbledon and USO obviously still his best chances. I think he did play well at Wimbledon this year - but Roddick played the match of his life to beat him in the semis and then the match of his life Part 2 to lose to Fed in the finals in that dramatic fashion.

Vida
10-07-2009, 03:32 PM
I think Murray will be fine. He's situated himself as a fixture in the Top 4 with his consistency.

But he needs to step up his intensity at Slams. His attitude in the Cilic loss in NY was worrying. He may have to wait a bit for things to fall his way at a Slam as he doesn't have the weapons or firepower to just pull a Del Potro. I expect him to be one of the favorites again at the upcoming majors, BUT people/"experts" will pick him to win less. Wimbledon and USO obviously still his best chances. I think he did play well at Wimbledon this year - but Roddick played the match of his life to beat him in the semis and then the match of his life Part 2 to lose to Fed in the finals in that dramatic fashion.

so far, it looks like murray's intensity is the reason he did both fine at non-slam events and below fine at the slams.

he had enough of it to grind opponents into submission at master-series tournaments, but his customary intensity wasn't enough to go through red-hot players which had more intensity on that given day. so, if he hadnt had enough intensity in the first place, how can he step it up at slams?

odds are bleak for murray, unless he finds a way to win with less intensity. after all, one cant win on running.

rubbERR
10-07-2009, 03:37 PM

dont be retard, when you are not feeling well your footwork sucks and you cant run and then even flavio cipolla can outplay you

exacly the same happened to murray us open, guy had that wrist injury and first time got outplayed by cilic.

Burrow
10-07-2009, 03:54 PM

Come on... :rolleyes:

Dougie
10-07-2009, 05:00 PM
He handled the pressure ok , IMO the problem was more that his actual game hasn´t progressed quite as much as he probably would have hoped. Cilic, for example, exposed some obvious limitations in his game.

out_here_grindin
10-07-2009, 05:18 PM
He handled the pressure ok , IMO the problem was more that his actual game hasn´t progressed quite as much as he probably would have hoped. Cilic, for example, exposed some obvious limitations in his game.

Good post. Not everything is mental, some is actaully about the game itself.

Certinfy
10-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Hopefully hype goes down next year :)

Dini
10-07-2009, 05:25 PM
I don't think hype is the issue. He just needs to take his chances more when he reaches the latter stages of a slam - and if he loses then "too good". At least then he could go home with no regrets.

decrepitude
10-07-2009, 10:12 PM
The wrist injury has put him out of Shanghai as well as Tokyo; playing in the DC was a very bad idea.

But this was all part of the pressure: he has in the past received so much stick from the British press and public for not playing the Davis Cup because of injuries or illness, he obviously felt he had to play even though not fit. That is just typical of the pressure he faces.

I don't think he has lost matches because he can't handle the pressure, but he is certainly going to lose ranking places because of the pressure to play Davis Cup.

Clydey
10-07-2009, 10:48 PM

He was pretty much forced to. Can you imagine the reaction in the press if he had missed another tie?

Come to think of it, did you watch any of the coverage? Murray's wrist injury was covered extensively. It wasn't a secret.

Why do people insist on speaking out when it's clear they don't have a fucking clue?

Clydey
10-07-2009, 10:50 PM
no sane player would try

Perhaps you missed the reaction when he pulled out against Argentina? In fact, any time he misses a DC tie he gets ripped to pieces by the press. He was basically forced into playing.

Clydey
10-07-2009, 10:52 PM
The wrist injury has put him out of Shanghai as well as Tokyo; playing in the DC was a very bad idea.

But this was all part of the pressure: he has in the past received so much stick from the British press and public for not playing the Davis Cup because of injuries or illness, he obviously felt he had to play even though not fit. That is just typical of the pressure he faces.

I don't think he has lost matches because he can't handle the pressure, but he is certainly going to lose ranking places because of the pressure to play Davis Cup.

This.

HKz
10-08-2009, 01:52 AM
Compared to Federer and Nadal, he did terrible in terms of dealing with pressure. But to the ATP, it was pretty good.

Corey Feldman
10-08-2009, 01:59 AM
he had his best career runs in each of the first 3 slams and was injured at US Open

he's still a work in progress , like Federer in 2002

10-08-2009, 04:56 AM
btw, tennis-hero, original name :)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=37135

look at your join date and look at that join date- i was tennis-hero months before you joined here- although all i can say is great minds think alike :D

Turquoise
10-08-2009, 10:16 AM
I think this year has been a good test of character for Murray. He’s not No 3 in the world for nothing. 2009 has been a learning curve for him at grand slam level (he's established himself as a force to reckon in the masters series and below.) Maybe the pressure of expectation got a little too close for comfort, but he'll have to chalk it down to experience and develop a thicker skin next time. He has the tools and commitment to reach those elusive heights, but it's up to him how he maps the route and optimizes his strengths.

rocketassist
10-08-2009, 02:08 PM
He should not bother with Davis Cup at all.

HattonWBA
10-08-2009, 04:51 PM

Totally agree

SetSampras
10-08-2009, 06:36 PM
He certainly didnt step up to the plate and silence his critics of him not being slam material as many have done this year. HE was projected to do some big things this year at the slams for being #2 or #3 in the world. I gave him a pass at RG. He just isnt that good on clay. Wimbeldon.. Well he had the whole country behind him and gets whooped on by A-Fraud. A-Fraud played well but Murray should have handled him regardles.. Murray is a better player all around by far and yet Roddick handled him so easy.. Thats inexcusable IMO on Murray's part. Especially since he had the whole british crowd on his side. USO was plain flat out ridiculous. Losing to Cilic? COME ON!!!! Last year he whooped Nadal in the semis and made the finals. This year with another year of experience under his belt he has worse results.

So all in all.. Yes Murray could no handle the pressure of the slams.

Vida
10-08-2009, 08:01 PM
He certainly didnt step up to the plate and silence his critics of him not being slam material as many have done this year. HE was projected to do some big things this year at the slams for being #2 or #3 in the world. I gave him a pass at RG. He just isnt that good on clay. Wimbeldon.. Well he had the whole country behind him and gets whooped on by A-Fraud. A-Fraud played well but Murray should have handled him regardles.. Murray is a better player all around by far and yet Roddick handled him so easy.. Thats inexcusable IMO on Murray's part. Especially since he had the whole british crowd on his side. USO was plain flat out ridiculous. Losing to Cilic? COME ON!!!! Last year he whooped Nadal in the semis and made the finals. This year with another year of experience under his belt he has worse results.

bit harsh on him imo. roddick played awesome all round attack tennis. like a man on a mission. dont forget, though he might be lightly less talented than murray (though it is questionable), he is vastly more experienced. murray could have played better, more offensive, but that would not garantee a win in semis. so it wasnt such a big under-play from murray.

at USO he did play real bad.

in conclusion, it was a very very good season for murray so far.

Clydey
10-08-2009, 08:10 PM

Roddick won two more points than Murray in the whole match. Murray hit fewer unforced errors, more winners, and hit more aces. Roddick deserved the win, but it's ridiculous to say that he handled Murray easily. Roddick played the big points better. That's what won him the match.

rubbERR
10-08-2009, 08:23 PM
he did well, there is always other years to win slams, he is not old guy.
those were only tennismatches afterall, what would have changed if he had won slam? nothing spectacular, if he wins slam next year only hype will increase but thats it, its only sport afterall.

TennisLurker
10-08-2009, 08:28 PM
I didn't watch the Roddick Murray Wimbledon match, and there are no highlights on youtube of that match.

Was Murray getting break point chances on Roddick's serve? Was Roddick serving aces or service winners when he faced bp's?

Roddickominator
10-08-2009, 08:35 PM
This was probably as good as a season as a pusher could hope for. It isn't often that you see a grand pusher like Murray in the Top 5 or Top 3 like this. Good season for Murray.

Roddickominator
10-08-2009, 08:37 PM
I didn't watch the Roddick Murray Wimbledon match, and there are no highlights on youtube of that match.

Was Murray getting break point chances on Roddick's serve? Was Roddick serving aces or service winners when he faced bp's?

Roddick beat Murray from the baseline, plain and simple. Lots of net approaches(and lots of passes, making Murray's winner total look more impressive). Stefanki devised a great plan for Roddick, and it was executed beautifully. Very surprised other players haven't taken advantage of the blueprint created by Stefanki.

tangerine_dream
10-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Wimbeldon.. Well he had the whole country behind him and gets whooped on by A-Fraud.
Murray lost to Alex Rodriguez? God, it's worse than we thought.

Corey Feldman
10-08-2009, 08:59 PM

Was Murray getting break point chances on Roddick's serve? Was Roddick serving aces or service winners when he faced bp's?its simple

Murray played as bad as he can possibly play - Roddick played his best and Muzza was still only about 4 points from winning

no problems, he'll be much better in future Wimby Semis

Clydey
10-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Roddick beat Murray from the baseline, plain and simple. Lots of net approaches(and lots of passes, making Murray's winner total look more impressive). Stefanki devised a great plan for Roddick, and it was executed beautifully. Very surprised other players haven't taken advantage of the blueprint created by Stefanki.

Playing the match of your life and scraping a win is a blueprint? It was a tremendous performance. That was the key more so than Stefanki's tactics. If Roddick was even 1% off, he would have lost that match. He played the big points better. It's that simple.

Stefanki is no tactical genius. He tends to have a dramatic effect on certain players over the short term. The form then tends to drop off. Gonzo is another example.

rocketassist
10-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Roddick-Murray was just one of those matches where the man who won the big points in a tight contest came through.

Volleying like Edberg at *5-6 set point down showed the guts of the man and he earned a lot of respect here for the way he played.

Not the match of his life though, 2003-04 time would have been that, killing Ferrero in the final and then the year later smashing Nadal to smithereens with power tennis of the unthinkable nature.

Chiakifug
10-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Murrays second serve is the Camille Pins of the ATP.

rubbERR
10-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Murrays second serve is the Camille Pins of the ATP.

that doesnt affect him to get success to it, 55% 2nd serve points won this year and he is placed 6th 2nd serve points won. :lol:

10-10-2009, 11:31 AM
that doesnt affect him to get success to it, 55% 2nd serve points won this year and he is placed 6th 2nd serve points won. :lol:

you have to take stats with a pinch of salt

dr ivo is the break point saved leader

Federer is only 23rd with 62% of first serves in

the reason he won 2 slams however is that he is the second serve point leader

i do believe though that Murray's second serve is his biggest weakness by far

Deejay
10-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Murray's had a predictably good year outside the slams but when you're ranked no.2 and you're as good as he is it's not about winning the 500's, it's about winning slams and to be honest never at 1 stage did he look a threat to win any of them.

AO - Ok wasn't at 100% but still played too defensive against a guy who was clearly inspired.
FO - Was never a threat for the title anyway, was given a clay court lesson by Gonzo. Was frightning how weak Murray's shots were compared to Gonzo.
W - Biggest disappointment for me. Weak field, a whole host of decent grass court players out, scraped past Wawrinka and was too passive yet again vs Roddick. Where was the change in tactics? Will be tougher next year.
US - Another big let down, his fav surface and had a decent draw. I don't really buy into the whole wrist injury thing. I'm not saying there was nothing wrong but at the end of the day he still played way too defensive and Cilic tore him to shreds.