Is Beijing open stadium the one used for the Olympics ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Beijing open stadium the one used for the Olympics ?

fsoica
10-06-2009, 10:01 AM
If yes, is the court speed the same ?
What about the surface and court speed compared to the one in 2005 ?

Rafa won Beijing open in 2005 and also the Olympics last year, so I was wondering about his chances here...

moon language
10-06-2009, 10:04 AM
It's the same facility, yes. No idea if the court speed is the same. It's still decoturf, but they could have changed the speed.

philosophicalarf
10-06-2009, 12:53 PM
It does look slower, maybe just from the court settling and wear and tear.

Then again, so much money floating around this event (prizemoney same as a masters), wouldn't be a surprise if they resurfaced.

n8
10-06-2009, 01:08 PM

Then again, so much money floating around this event (prizemoney same as a masters), wouldn't be a surprise if they resurfaced.

I never realised this event paid so much!! $3.37 million in prize money. More than Canada and Cincinnati Masters with $3.00 million each. No wonder the last direct acceptance was ranked so high at 57.

Beijing pays $14,500 for first round losses vs. $19,000 at US Open.

philosophicalarf
10-06-2009, 02:00 PM
I never realised this event paid so much!! $3.37 million in prize money. More than Canada and Cincinnati Masters with $3.00 million each.

Tokyo directors must be suicidal - Beijing attracted a better field cos of the money, then Murray/Fed pulled out, and now DelPot flopped first round :-)

Lee
10-06-2009, 09:27 PM

Is the prizemoney for both men's and women's event?

l_mac
10-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Is the prizemoney for both men's and women's event?

Don't know. The WTA site says the prize money is $4,500,000.

So, probably not.

TMJordan
10-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Apparently the WTA event is bigger so they get more money :spit: We all know they don't even deserve equal but here they get more. :worship:

Also over at WTA world they were complaining about more mens matches being on center court :haha: Not that I vist that site very often. :p

Bazooka
10-07-2009, 01:52 AM
This is probably the biggest 500 event in the tour. Half the top ten is there. I wonder if Paris Masters will have as much.

n8
10-07-2009, 02:26 AM
This is probably the biggest 500 event in the tour. Half the top ten is there. I wonder if Paris Masters will have as much.

I reckon it is. Dubai has the second most prize money of the 500s and Barcelona has the biggest draw (56). But I think the main two factors are prize money and scheduling and Beijing has the best of both. Barcelona is wedged between Masters Series (meaning three weeks straight) while Washington is before two Masters (meaning three weeks straight also). Beijing is perfectly scheduled; an ideal warm up for Shanghai as it is in the same country and just the week before (two week straight is fine for most players, but not three).

I think Acapulco and Hamburg get the worst fields of the 500s because they don't lead into any Masters Series. Both are on clay and are have a hard court Masters a little while after them. They seem more for players who don't expect to do that well at the (hard court) Masters events.