Gambill is back! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gambill is back!

n8
10-05-2009, 11:14 PM
I was just updating my website (http://statracket.net/), when I noticed one of the new players to the rankings this week is Jan-Michael Gambill!

I then found this article (http://www.sacbee.com/sports/story/2230802.html) about his comeback.

Gambill's career highlights include reaching #14, three ATP titles, wins over Federer, Moya, Hewitt, Sampras and Agassi, and Wimbledon quarter-finals.

Gambill made the semis of a futures tournament a fortnight ago which was his first event since June 2008. He missed most of the last four years because of severe tendinitis in both shins and right arm.

He is playing the Sacramento Challenger this week (as a wild card) and has drawn seventh seed Ryan Sweeting in the first round.

KarlyM
10-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Good news! :dance: I wish him a lot of luck. :wavey: :yeah:

Certinfy
10-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Wow. :eek:

Fee
10-05-2009, 11:21 PM
If you had looked in his player forum you would have seen that this thread is a bit premature. Jan-Michael isn't 'back', he's testing things out to see if he can come back full time. Luckily, since he lives in California part time now, he was able to start close to home with the series of Futures and Challengers played here this time of year. He is cautiously optimistic, but just needs to see how his body holds up. Ryan Sweeting will be a pretty good test of his progress (but honestly, I won't be surprised if he loses that match, I'm just not so sure if he's at that level yet).

n8
10-05-2009, 11:32 PM
If you had looked in his player forum you would have seen that this thread is a bit premature. Jan-Michael isn't 'back', he's testing things out to see if he can come back full time. Luckily, since he lives in California part time now, he was able to start close to home with the series of Futures and Challengers played here this time of year. He is cautiously optimistic, but just needs to see how his body holds up. Ryan Sweeting will be a pretty good test of his progress (but honestly, I won't be surprised if he loses that match, I'm just not so sure if he's at that level yet).

The thread's title is very inspecific. It really just means that Gambill is back in the ATP rankings and is back playing again. At 32 years old, a history of injuries and years since he was in the top 100 (January '05), I realise it would be very unlikely that he would commit straight away to a full schedule.

Chip_s_m
10-05-2009, 11:50 PM
In the futures event he beat top juniors Jordan Cox and Yong-Kyu Lim along with Phillip Bester before losing to McClune in the semis. That's not an easy draw, so it's good to see that he can still compete at a decent level. Fee spoke with him after the matches (and might've seen one of them?). She gave some good reports on his tournament in the player forums. Basically he's rusty and his endurance is lacking (understandably).

Regardless, it's nice to see him back and hopefully he'll be able to continue playing regularly. It would be nice to see him end his career on his own terms, even if he isn't able to reach his old level.

Burrow
10-05-2009, 11:56 PM
It was good days when Gambill was at his peak.

Fee
10-06-2009, 12:08 AM
In the futures event he beat top juniors Jordan Cox and Yong-Kyu Lim along with Phillip Bester before losing to McClune in the semis. That's not an easy draw, so it's good to see that he can still compete at a decent level. Fee spoke with him after the matches (and might've seen one of them?). She gave some good reports on his tournament in the player forums. Basically he's rusty and his endurance is lacking (understandably).

Regardless, it's nice to see him back and hopefully he'll be able to continue playing regularly. It would be nice to see him end his career on his own terms, even if he isn't able to reach his old level.

I saw all of his matches at the Costa Mesa Futures, singles and doubles.

You hit the nail on the head, his biggest desire is to end his career on his terms, whenever that is. The last four years have been rough, especially last summer when team tennis ended and he was in pain from head to toe, it seemed. I thought that was it right there (I think he might have too), but he found another doctor and tried another treatment, and this summer he felt good when the team tennis season ended. I think that is when he started to believe he could get back on court and play real matches again.

He played the Costa Mesa wildcard event in August as a test, won 6 matches in 3 days without pain, and decided to see what he could do this Fall. He's at the mercy of generous tournament directors for wild cards, but hopefully he can find a way to get into Tiburon and Calabasas after Sacramento. He needs lots of matches to really get back into shape.

HKz
10-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Nice, he was an enjoyable player to watch from both his game and attitude on court.

jcempire
10-06-2009, 01:14 AM

Agree

zero chance to win it over Sweeting

Clay Death
10-06-2009, 01:34 AM
Agree

how well is ryan sweeting progressing? what may be his true potential in the sport? also what is your own take on ryan harrison?

what does the future hold for these two in your estimation?

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/claydeath/v_strelok080100018.jpg

8pNADAL
10-06-2009, 02:41 AM
i wonder if hes going to try a REAL forehand this time -o-

CooCooCachoo
10-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Agree

Unfortunately everyone has a chance against Sweeting, depending entirely upon which Ryan shows up. His game is so error-prone and I am quite disappointed with his lack of progress in becoming more consistent. Obviously he should win over Gambill, but zero chance is taking it too far.

asmazif
10-06-2009, 12:23 PM
bloody brilliant!

ExcaliburII
10-06-2009, 03:05 PM
JMG must be happy now.

Seles3
10-07-2009, 03:33 AM
http://www.dreamcaps.org/forums/uploads/post-92-1253078885.jpg

he has been doing some modeling while away!

:eek:

http://www.dreamcaps.org/forums/uploads/post-92-1253078856.jpg

lucho_coria
10-07-2009, 04:33 AM
I heard he is gay.

Fee
10-07-2009, 04:40 AM
Oh bloody hell, of all the pictures he's taken in the last 12 months, those shitty photos went public? Those were test shots, requested by his agency. I think they're crap, he's done better shoots and taken much better pictures than those. barf.

mr_burns
10-07-2009, 05:58 AM
totally forgotten how hot he is

and I liked watching him on court as well.
remember Moya was his bitch

Chip_s_m
10-07-2009, 06:16 AM
Wow, he beat Sweeting 4-6 6-4 6-4. That's a good win and will hopefully boost his confidence. Up next is Witten, another good test.

networthy
10-07-2009, 06:50 AM
I heard he is gay.

As for me, I *hope* he is gay :drool:

Bargearse
10-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Those photos are pretty gay.... I'm female & I don't find this guy at all attractive. Didn't he play with two hands on both sides? His game wasn't attractive to me either. He had that Thunderbolt long racket by Prince... so weird.

CooCooCachoo
10-07-2009, 08:11 AM
That first photo is truly dreadful. The second one is a lot better, but his face doesn't look too good on that one either.

Good win over Sweeting (though, Ryan, :smash: :() by the way. Gambill has been going through so many injury problems that I really hope he gets to retire on his own terms. Clearly he still has something left to give, so this is encouraging to see.

n8
10-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Agree

Gambill d. Sweeting 4-6 6-4 6-4

totally forgotten how hot he is

and I liked watching him on court as well.
remember Moya was his bitch

Moya is 4-1 vs. Gambill. Although Moya did get thrashed by Gambill at the US Open in 2002.

:hatoff: to Gambill for beating Sweeting and giving some juice to this thread.

sammy01
10-07-2009, 11:46 AM
good win for him on the comeback trail. hes still smoking hot, yum!

L James
10-07-2009, 12:42 PM
He is now officially back.

mr_burns
10-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Gambill d. Sweeting 4-6 6-4 6-4

Moya is 4-1 vs. Gambill. Although Moya did get thrashed by Gambill at the US Open in 2002.

:hatoff: to Gambill for beating Sweeting and giving some juice to this thread.

sorry I mixed sth up

just remember that much, was a NS and I was awake cheering for carlos...:confused:

DartMarcus
10-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Jan Mike :worship:
What a win :eek:

Certinfy
10-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Gambill :worship:...Sweeting :retard:

moon language
10-07-2009, 06:36 PM
Very subtle Jan.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2267/2515166104_949bb9a290_o.jpg

Matt01
10-07-2009, 07:20 PM
I heard he is gay.

And what exactly does this have to do with the topic of this thread? :(

rocketassist
10-07-2009, 07:24 PM
And what exactly does this have to do with the topic of this thread? :(

I agree with you on this, who's exactly arsed?

asmazif
10-07-2009, 07:40 PM
a win! good.

Doggy
10-08-2009, 07:31 AM
he is still pretty hot, but jay sean is more ripped

GustavoM_Fan
10-08-2009, 07:41 AM
tomorrow 2nd round vs the fat kinesiologist Witten

JEsse Witten is the uni guy who was 3rd rounder at the UsOpen
came from qualies, defeated Andreev in 3 sets and took a set to Djokovic, then losing in 4th
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Wi/J/Jesse-Witten.aspx
http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2009/3351/op.pdf
should be more hard than Sweeting I think :scratch: :sad:

whattheheck
10-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Welcome back.