Davis Cup is Dead (in the U.S.) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Davis Cup is Dead (in the U.S.)

Guersmith
10-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Anyone disagree with my take? Is there any chance that Davis Cup will become relevant again in the U.S.?

When Ivo Karlovic smashes the all-time record for aces and it barely gets mentioned in any newspaper, you know Davis Cup is irrelevant in America.

When the U.S. wins Davis Cup by beating Russia in front of a packed Portland house and newspapers barely carry the story, you know Davis Cup is irrelevant in America.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-22652-Pro-Tennis-Examiner~y2009m10d1-I-say-Davis-Cup-you-say-wake-me-up-when-its-over

alfonsojose
10-04-2009, 05:07 PM
DC :yawn:

FlavorNuts
10-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Davis Cup never made any sense to me, a team competition in an individual sport.

Instead of Davis Cup there should be something like an extra Masters mid way through the year for the top 8 performers of the first half of the year.
Anything over a badly scheduled team competition.

timafi
10-04-2009, 05:40 PM
that win 2 years ago was a big fat FLUKE

Blake pulled out of the DC tie last year against Spain because he was "tired" which makes you wonder what Nadal himself was feeling since he was on a winning streak Paris,Queens,Wimbledon,won a gold medal in Beijing and the semis at the USO while Blake punked out early in Paris;didn't show up in Queens;lost early at Wimbledon;whined in Beijing and lost early in NY:tape:

rocketassist
10-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Davis Cup rules.

Get over it.

What the US thinks shouldn't matter. It's not the fucking world FFS.

oranges
10-04-2009, 06:57 PM
DC is the best thing apart from slams. Educate that US public ;)

Deboogle!.
10-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Every home tie since like, 2006 or so has sold out completely, sometimes in pretty darn large venues. Tennis in general gets very little mainstream media coverage in the US, can't single out DC and say it's any worse than the rest of tennis, outside the USO maybe.

Etern
10-04-2009, 08:26 PM
U.S. is dead (in Europe)

~*BGT*~
10-04-2009, 08:28 PM
that win 2 years ago was a big fat FLUKE

Blake pulled out of the DC tie last year against Spain because he was "tired" which makes you wonder what Nadal himself was feeling since he was on a winning streak Paris,Queens,Wimbledon,won a gold medal in Beijing and the semis at the USO while Blake punked out early in Paris;didn't show up in Queens;lost early at Wimbledon;whined in Beijing and lost early in NY:tape:

So Blake sucking in 2008 had ANYTHING at all to do with the 2007 Davis Cup final?

Har-Tru
10-04-2009, 10:28 PM
What a MTF thread...

Davis Cup is fantastic.

betowiec
10-04-2009, 11:17 PM
looooool

Action Jackson
10-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Break away and start their own competition, yes they have World Team Tennis.

The US have enough sports to keep them amused and entertained.

Bolton'sBastard
10-04-2009, 11:59 PM
You have the NFL season getting kicked off and the MLB about to go to the playoffs...who cares about DC?

Sunset of Age
10-05-2009, 01:05 AM
DC only seems to 'count' for whatsoever in countries that have a chance of winning it. I remember well the days of Siemerink, Haarhuis, Schalken et al., when my country was doing reasonably well. Every tie was televised.
Nowadays? We're happy to even see a 5-minutes round-up of the results on the telly. :o

I guess it's the same thing in the USA currently? :shrug:

Kitty de Sade
10-05-2009, 06:58 PM
For the OP- if you are talking about DC being relevant as far as the media coverage goes, then no, it isn't. Relevant in general terms, is a different story. Lots of people care a great deal about it in the States, no matter how little time the suits discuss it.

Media coverage, or lack thereof, isn't law here. If it were, than a genius like Paris Hilton would be among the most "relevant" creatures on planet earth. God forbid.

gulzhan
10-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Most of the World does not give a shit about NFL and MLB, so what? :shrug: And what's that anyway? :eek:

DC is the best in tennis, when your team rules, it's better than any of the GSs :worship:

LoveFifteen
10-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Wow, congratulations on posting an article written by a complete nobody, published in The Examiner, Washington DC's crappiest news source.

The true title of your thread should be ....

Newspapers are Dead (in the U.S.) :lol:

=========

As to the topic, I think that tennis is ranked maybe #7 or #8 in terms of popularity of sports in the USA. Perhaps the Davis cup won't garner huge coverage in the media, but it doesn't mean that the millions and millions of tennis fans in the USA don't care about it. :shrug: