Where will Murray end the year? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Where will Murray end the year?

Goldenoldie
10-03-2009, 09:11 AM
"Injured Murray out of Japan Open

British number one Andy Murray has pulled out of next week's Japan Open in Tokyo with an ongoing wrist injury.

The 22-year-old had hoped to return for the event after scans revealed "no long-term damage" to his left wrist.

But Murray, who has been plagued by the problem over the last six weeks, is focussed on playing at the end-of-season ATP World Tour Finals in London.

"There's a big tournament in London at the end of the year and I want to make sure I'm fit for that," he said.

A statement on Murray's website on Thursday said: "Andy is disappointed not to be competing in Japan, but on the basis of medical advice, he has decided to give his left wrist further time to recover.

"His injury is improving on a daily basis and Andy is very close to resuming full-training. The wrist will be assessed again this weekend.""

Just saw this and reading between the lines it seems Murray could be considering dropping out of Shanghai and others as well. Djokovic and Del Potro are closing in the race, so if he is not fit to play, where is he going to end the year?

Horatio Caine
10-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Virtually mathematically impossible for him to finish as #1. :p

Well, he could finish as low as #5, as you suggest. However, I don't rate Djokovic as highly on the quicker surfaces (compared to medium-paced hard courts and clay)...I think he is a little more prone to earlier exits (than SF), which would hurt his chances a little.

However, the threat from Del Potro is very real...he can overtake Muzza just by playing the Tokyo final next weekend. And playing catch-up with Delpo isn't easy, considering how consistently solid he has been in posting good results in the biggest draws this year.

I think that, on paper, Muzza is a little bit stronger than these two on the quicker surfaces. Usually, you'd be looking out for him to go that extra distance and play the key title match(es).

However, I do have two key concerns...and I fear that we could see both become reality over these last weeks of the season:

1. Fitness - if Muzza extends his lay-off beyond Tokyo, he is likely to seriously lose out. But, obviously, he is wise not to return until his wrist is in good enough condition...

2. Game style - if Muzza continues to play the predominantly 'pushy' tennis we have seen of him over the last few months, he'll be checking out of hotels earlier than many would be expecting. Anyone thoughtful enough to reserve a couple of taxis for Castle and Reed...? :o

Looks like the World Tour Finals could witness the climax of this rankings battle. :drool:

born_on_clay
10-03-2009, 02:04 PM
4 :d

Certinfy
10-03-2009, 02:05 PM
2 :)

Noleta
10-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Number ONE:D

Sunset of Age
10-03-2009, 03:18 PM
If Del Potro keeps up his excellent forum, chances are very good that he will be able to snatch the #3 position from Murray. In that very possible case, he'll end up as #4.
Not that it will make much difference as regarded to seedings etc., and he will have a good chance of doing much better next year.

DartMarcus
10-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Where? At home.

kyleskywalker007
10-03-2009, 11:12 PM
Well, yeah, I guess in his home country. Which country will be his home will depend. If he has some nice results in the masters cup and wins it maybe, his home country will be England, if he ends disappointingly, he will go back to scottland of course

FiBeR
10-04-2009, 03:13 AM
in a big mansion, 10 girls around him and a dozen of :drink: bottles around

HKz
10-04-2009, 04:17 AM
Don't see him gaining the number 2 spot since Nadal looks solid enough to hold that ranking, even if he does get injured regarding how many tournaments he plays. And then I don't see Andy losing the spot because Djokovic is obviously playing amazing tennis *sarcasm*

jcempire
10-04-2009, 05:39 PM
possible No 2

Noleta
10-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Well, yeah, I guess in his home country. Which country will be his home will depend. If he has some nice results in the masters cup and wins it maybe, his home country will be England, if he ends disappointingly, he will go back to scottland of course

:haha::worship:

Burrow
10-04-2009, 09:16 PM

Andy Murray has never said he is "English" and in fact becomes infuriated when people label him as this. It's not him doing this, it's the ignorant media and idiots who don't know the difference between England and Scotland.

kyleskywalker007
10-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Andy Murray has never said he is "English" and in fact becomes infuriated when people label him as this. It's not him doing this, it's the ignorant media and idiots who don't know the difference between England and Scotland.

I know that fact perfectly well. In fact, that was not a dig at Murray. I said he was gonna be home. But I have no doubt it's the media who makes him English when he succeeds and scottish when he doesn't. Anyway, have some fun, relax!

Pea
10-04-2009, 10:21 PM
5th.

Clydey
10-04-2009, 11:25 PM
I know that fact perfectly well. In fact, that was not a dig at Murray. I said he was gonna be home. But I have no doubt it's the media who makes him English when he succeeds and scottish when he doesn't. Anyway, have some fun, relax!

You're confusing Britain and England. They are not interchangeable. The saying goes that he is British when he wins and Scottish when he loses. England doesn't enter into it. Britain and England are not the same thing. England is a part of Britain, just as Scotland is a part of Britain.

Burrow
10-04-2009, 11:32 PM

What?

So just because I reply to you and partially disagree means that I am on edge.

Okay. :rolleyes:

HKz
10-05-2009, 01:52 AM

He just got back from being temp banned so it's okay, he is adapting back to his glorious MTF days.

kyleskywalker007
10-05-2009, 04:00 AM
He just got back from being temp banned so it's okay, he is adapting back to his glorious MTF days.

Is that a dig at burrow or at me? because I also got temporarily banned, :rolleyes: . And you know what? I got banned because I started the thread "SO, where is rafawon09Usopen now" right after rafa lost. It was a fun thread while it lasted....

And now, to burrow, i gotta admit that I mixed britan and england, you are right. Yeah, the saying goes that murray's british when he wins and scottish when he loses. Sorry about the mistake mate.

thegreendestiny
10-05-2009, 05:05 AM
Slamless for sure. :shrug:

HKz
10-05-2009, 05:06 AM
Is that a dig at burrow or at me? because I also got temporarily banned, :rolleyes: . And you know what? I got banned because I started the thread "SO, where is rafawon09Usopen now" right after rafa lost. It was a fun thread while it lasted....

And now, to burrow, i gotta admit that I mixed britan and england, you are right. Yeah, the saying goes that murray's british when he wins and scottish when he loses. Sorry about the mistake mate.

How would it be a dig at you if I never knew you were temp banned :eek: I'm just saying, no need to get riled up over our buddy Burrow :p

Jōris
10-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Clydey has an alarm that goes off each time someone mistakes Britain for England.

Horatio Caine
10-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Hmmm, a less than positive article by the Times correspondent, Neil Harman, this morning (too lazy to get the link, sorry :o). Suggests that Muzza is likely to miss Shanghai (not too surprising)...but I get the impression that he might struggle to be ready even for Valencia and Paris.

Clydey
10-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Clydey has an alarm that goes off each time someone mistakes Britain for England.

I'm just correcting people. It's a common misconception, and it irritates me. Even commentators make the same mistake.