Kuala Lumpur S: N. Davydenko def. R. Söderling 1/6 7/6(1) 6/2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Kuala Lumpur S: N. Davydenko def. R. Söderling 1/6 7/6(1) 6/2

Nidhogg
10-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Robin messed this up after just having broken Davy, serving at 4/3 in the second. The last two service games from both players prior to the tiebreak were very impressive, but Söderling missed too many shots in the breaker. In the third he had some chances, but Davy played well to save the breakpoints he faced. He looked a new man after having broken Robin in the second.

jonas
10-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Welcome back old Soderling. Horrible horrible choke after being up a break in the second.
That missed BH-volley at 2-2 and gameball in the third was one of the worst misses I've ever witnessed.
Bye bye WTF.

n8
10-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Doh.

My jaw just dropped when I saw that score! Soderling had been so dominant in their recent matches and last time I had checked the score it was 6-1...

GHETTOTENNIS
10-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Söderling should have won this in 2.

Just pathetic.

Nidhogg
10-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Haha, aye, he messed up a fair deal of easy volleys today.

The lapse in the second set was similar to what happened against Montañes in the USO. A letdown out of nowhere.

oranges
10-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Good job Niko :yeah: Eyeing another title here with 10:1 H2h with both possible opponents

Foxy
10-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Always nice to see ugly toad lose badly! :)

Aenea
10-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Well done, Denko :) :worship:

habibko
10-03-2009, 10:17 AM
yessssss great win, Davai Davy! :rocker2: :bounce:

RIboy
10-03-2009, 10:20 AM
FU Toad

Björki
10-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Robin :smash:

Certinfy
10-03-2009, 10:45 AM
:sad: Oh well.

Horatio Caine
10-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Welcome back old Soderling. Horrible horrible choke after being up a break in the second.
That missed BH-volley at 2-2 and gameball in the third was one of the worst misses I've ever witnessed.
Bye bye WTF.

The extra 135pts (for winning Kuala Lumpur) would have been beneficial, but really he needs to concentrate on out-performing Gonzalez and/or Verdasco in the remaining '500' and '1000' events. So, this defeat might actually be a bit of a blessing for him...gives him a couple of days to rest and prepare for a full assault starting next week. :)

It also gives him a reason to bulldoze that rather weak Stockholm draw in a week in which Verdasco and Gonzalez would be resting. Would enable him to make up for those points he could have earned this week, had he won the title. And he would then have a rest week before heading off to Valencia '500'...

This Toad is a master tactician... ;)

star_of_dusk
10-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Yay!!!!

*Jean*
10-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Robin :sad:

Nidhogg
10-03-2009, 11:15 AM
It's easy to say "the old Söderling is back, oh dear, oh dear", but I don't agree with that. Twice in his matches in Båstad he took the first set with ease, and then went up a break in the second which he would surrender. In both of those matches he won the second set in a breaker. Similar story with Fognini in Hamburg. He was serving for the match in the second, lost serve and the subsequent breaker, but won the third set. I mentioned the match with Montañes earlier, where he won an easy first set, got a break of serve in the second, and then he lost four games in a row and the set went begging.
I didn't see the match against Gicquel in Washington, but I can imagine it was played out in similar fashion as he won the first set, lost the second and then won the third.
If anything, he needs to sort out the habit of having letdowns in the second set. It has happened against players of every calibre.

Davydenko was more able to punish Söderling for this than the others. It wasn't like Robin just gave up instantly in the third set. He started with two good holds and earned himself a breakpoint in two successive games before he lost his own serve, but Davy played really solid to save them.

Brick Top
10-03-2009, 11:27 AM
expected one,well done kolya

Dini
10-03-2009, 11:31 AM
It's easy to say "the old Söderling is back, oh dear, oh dear", but I don't agree with that. Twice in his matches in Båstad he took the first set with ease, and then went up a break in the second which he would surrender. In both of those matches he won the second set in a breaker. Similar story with Fognini in Hamburg. He was serving for the match in the second, lost serve and the subsequent breaker, but won the third set. I mentioned the match with Montañes earlier, where he won an easy first set, got a break of serve in the second, and then he lost four games in a row and the set went begging.
I didn't see the match against Gicquel in Washington, but I can imagine it was played out in similar fashion as he won the first set, lost the second and then won the third.
If anything, he needs to sort out the habit of having letdowns in the second set. It has happened against players of every calibre.

Davydenko was more able to punish Söderling for this than the others. It wasn't like Robin just gave up instantly in the third set. He started with two good holds and earned himself a breakpoint in two successive games before he lost his own serve, but Davy played really solid to save them.

You're making too much sense for MTF standards in this post. :worship:

FlameOn
10-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Robin. :sad: Oh well semis ain't too bad, and at least Kolya's a great player.

TheBoiledEgg
10-03-2009, 11:38 AM
King Kolya :bounce: :D

acionescu
10-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Good for the sport ;)

rocketassist
10-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Always nice to see ugly toad lose badly! :)

Good for the sport ;)http://smartcrow.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/bitter_mccain2.png

acionescu
10-03-2009, 11:56 AM
http://smartcrow.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/bitter_mccain2.png

:rolls:

I happen to like Davidenko, Sod, well.......not too much :o :D

whattheheck
10-03-2009, 11:59 AM
Pathetic from Robin.

Nidhogg
10-03-2009, 12:18 PM
You're making too much sense for MTF standards in this post. :worship:

There are tons of more matches like these played by Robin earlier in his career as well. If there has ever come about a "new Söderling" this year it's one who has had a mental breakthrough in big tournaments. From never having gotten further than the 3rd round in slams and masters, he followed up his RG final with a 4th round in Wimby and a quarter in the USO.
That doesn't make him immune to contrentation lapses through every tournament and match of the year.

FlameOn
10-03-2009, 12:28 PM
There are tons of more matches like these played by Robin earlier in his career as well. If there has ever come about a "new Söderling" this year it's one who has had a mental breakthrough in big tournaments. From never having gotten further than the 3rd round in slams and masters, he followed up his RG final with a 4th round in Wimby and a quarter in the USO.
That doesn't make him immune to contrentation lapses through every tournament and match of the year.
Exactly, all players choke sometimes. It's the same with Verdasco. They both have a notable history of choking and "mental breakdowns", and it still rears it's head with both of them at times still (especially Robin when playing Federer and Nando when playing Nadal :p), but for the most part they've cut out their choking really well.

Hell, even the players who don't have a major history of choking choke sometimes.

Voo de Mar
10-03-2009, 01:39 PM
:(

tennishero
10-03-2009, 01:54 PM
nice one kolya, putting sodermug back in his place.

selyoink
10-03-2009, 02:46 PM
About time Davy beat this mug. Should've done it at the French. Davy should have few problems with Verdasco.

born_on_clay
10-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Fuck yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shotgun
10-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Expected one.

octatennis
10-03-2009, 04:51 PM
finally something back to the reality.

Iván
10-03-2009, 04:55 PM
too easy for davy

Geo
10-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Robin :retard: :o
terrible choke :tape:

Leo
10-03-2009, 08:04 PM
That's a huge mental turnaround by Davydenko. He had lost 4 in a row to Soderling. When I last checked, the score was 6-1, 1-2 to Soderling and I thought it would be over in 2.

Ilovetheblues_86
10-03-2009, 11:43 PM
:rolls:

I happen to like Davidenko, Sod, well.......not too much :o :D

The only reason for someone to dislike Söderling is to be a fan of Nadal.
Gye is an example of cold, calm and collected personality.

Sunset of Age
10-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Funny. Didn't see the match, but either Söderling collapsed, or Denko suddenly realized he... eh... should try an attempt to win this match, :lol:.

Congrats Davvy! Go for that title, now! :D

Clay Death
10-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Funny. Didn't see the match, but either Söderling collapsed, or Denko suddenly realized he... eh... should try an attempt to win this match, :lol:.

Congrats Davvy! Go for that title, now! :D

get a clue. soderling didnt "collapse". he has always been a clown. he is just a slightly more fit clown these days. davydenko was not healthy at the u.s. open and now he is.

and he spots this clown a set and thrashes him anyway.

and if you did not see the match, why make ignorant assumptions about it?

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/claydeath/sparta1.jpg

Clay Death
10-04-2009, 12:08 AM
The only reason for someone to dislike Söderling is to be a fan of Nadal.
Gye is an example of cold, calm and collected personality.

could be that he is a jerk. not my opnion but an actual opinion of a lot of players on the tour.

and he is a jerk.

Sunset of Age
10-04-2009, 12:13 AM
get a clue. soderling didnt "collapse". he has always been a clown. he is just a slightly more fit clown these days. davydenko was not healthy at the u.s. open and now he is.

and he spots this clown a set and thrashes him anyway.

and if you did not see the match, why make ignorant assumptions about it?

Didn't I say immediately that I didn't see the match?
I've seen plenty of assumptions over here that Söderling indeed choked. :shrug:
Just because he once dispatched your favourite player, doesn't mean he's a 'clown'.

Ilovetheblues_86
10-04-2009, 12:16 AM
could be that he is a jerk. not my opnion but an actual opinion of a lot of players on the tour.

and he is a jerk.

A lot of players in ATPTOUR are jerkier than anyone in this community. They don´t train, they go to parties, smoke and drink beefore tournaments, catch suspicious women around the globe and tell lies to media because of protocol.
Söderling is cool and only cares about him and the few people in his life, and know other players doesn´t deserve to be treated like diva queens; Just let our beautiful crystal from ice world free of critics from non-fans cause he never said anything bad about Nadal or anyone in the circuit.
Like Söderling would say:

MTFERS MUST BE IN A COMPLAINING MOOD EH?

And they are Soda. Everytime.