Fedal era over? Gap between Men Closing? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Fedal era over? Gap between Men Closing?

SheepleBuster
10-02-2009, 04:01 PM
So I am back from my vacation and seems Simon Reed is back as well. Here is what he says about mens tennis:

In my previous blog I talked about the terrible state of the women's game recently (see link under picture), but for many the men's game seems to have gone from strength to strength.

Certainly the success of the men's game in recent years has only gone to highlight the women's woes, but with big names such as Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters coming back, I think the balance of power is slowly going to start to changing....

I say that because, for me, the men's game is not in the great state that everyone says it is. I don't think Roger Federer is the player he once was, I think it is pretty obvious that Rafael Nadal is not where he was and I feel we have been slightly smoke-screened about how good the men's game actually is.

On paper it has been a great season for Federer but I look back on the year and certain matches stick out. The way that Tommy Haas took him to five sets at Roland Garros and very nearly won, or how Andy Roddick almost beat him in the Wimbledon final - these are all things that never used to happen.

I think Federer and Nadal were way, way clear of the field but subtley this year, without everyone noticing it, that gap has faded away.

I don't think there is a big gap between the top players and the rest AT ALL anymore, and I see new players coming through like Juan Martin del Potro (which is of course easy to say in hindsight) and challenging consistently.

However, I feel the reason that this is happening is as much because the top players have dropped a level as it is for any other reason.

One player I'll certainly put forward as a name to watch is Marin Cilic (pictured). I'm going to go out on a bit a limb here and say that he could be a Grand Slam winner by this time next year and I'll also again mention the emergence of Andy Murray, even though I know people might be sick and tired of hearing me say that....

However, there is certainly a massive opportunity for lots of players out there because, as I said earlier, for me the Federer/Nadal era is over - you can forget about it.

I have to say. Simon hasn't lost a step.

Source: http://eurosport.yahoo.com/02102009/58/reed-men-game-showing-cracks.html

out_here_grindin
10-02-2009, 04:03 PM
and I'll also again mention the emergence of Andy Murray, even though I know people might be sick and tired of hearing me say that....

I'm not. Please write a book about it Mr.Reed.

HKz
10-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, old damn news. Good job Sherlock. Not to mention, such a stupid point about the Haas and Roddick thing taking Roger to 5 sets. Because regardless, they are a top player, and either player can off an off day while the other player can play the match of his life. In fact, Roddick defeated Federer after Roger won Wimbledon and not to mention Haas did too early on, so "never used to happen" my ass. This guy probably has never even picked up a racket in his life.

Just tell him to run away and exiled himself to Antartica, the penguins would be more interested in listened to his rants, especially ones about Murray, and he'll still be wrong.

Can we just seriously get a petition to fire this guy?

Sunset of Age
10-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Poor, poor Cilic... getting hyped by Mr. Reedard is nothing else than the ultimate 'Kiss of Death'! :(

SheepleBuster
10-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, old damn news. Good job Sherlock. Not to mention, such a stupid point about the Haas and Roddick thing taking Roger to 5 sets. Because regardless, they are a top player, and either player can off an off day while the other player can play the match of his life. In fact, Roddick defeated Federer after Roger won Wimbledon and not to mention Haas did too early on, so "never used to happen" my ass. This guy probably has never even picked up a racket in his life.

Just tell him to run away and exiled himself to Antartica, the penguins would be more interested in listened to his rants, especially ones about Murray, and he'll still be wrong.

Can we just seriously get a petition to fire this guy?

I thought he got fired. But he lay low after predicting that Murray would win the Open. Now he is back like nothing has happened.

oliverbwfc
10-02-2009, 04:25 PM
for me the Federer/Nadal era is over - you can forget about it.

This coming off a year which has seen Fed/Rafa win 3 out of the 4 slams. :o

oranges
10-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Oh no, not a kiss of death for Cilic from Reed :help:

HKz
10-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I thought he got fired. But he lay low after predicting that Murray would win the Open. Now he is back like nothing has happened.

I think if you are going to get hired by a sports network program for analysis and/or touting future prospects, you should get some kind of "commission" for everytime you're right. Have more than 2, you stay hired.

Seriously though, I mean it is already hard enough to predict the winner of a certain day's match, and this guy truly believes that he predicts the future with everyone. Because I remember at Roland Garros this year, some match predictor kept writing Federer off or saying he would be extended to 5 sets or whatever....none of his predictions were ever right, except the fews time he said he would end up winning despite the long match. And this isn't only Roger, there have been plenty over the years.

Harmless
10-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Oy gavalt :sobbing:

Kiss of death for Marin, for sure.
He's barely just stringed a decent season together.

el tenista
10-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Cilic a GS winner by this time next year? :eek:
How are the freaking drugs called Simon Reed takes?

Sunset of Age
10-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Cilic a GS winner by this time next year? :eek:
How are the freaking drugs called Simon Reed takes?

http://itech.dickinson.edu/chemistry/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/psilocomp11.jpg

jonathancrane
10-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Say chau to your career, Marin

oranges
10-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Say chau to your career, Marin

It's all because he beat Murray. Other than that, he would go happily unnoticed by Mr Jinx :sobbing:

JolánGagó
10-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Bullshit.

tangerine_dream
10-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Keep right on buttering Reed's bread, y'all.

tennis2tennis
10-02-2009, 06:10 PM
cut the guy some slack he's still reeling from Murray's failure to do the Grand Slam :lol:

SetSampras
10-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I think the same thing was said last year and it was the Fed-Nadal show. At least this year, Del Potro winning was a breathe of fresh air.. It so strange to see a player other than Fed or Nadal win a slam.

Watch next year... it will be all Fed-Nadal again. Im not so sure Del Potro will keep it up.. I could see him getting a big injury to be honest just due to his size

stebs
10-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Reed is the first person to notice that Federer isn't as good as he used to be. For that we must applaud him.

sammy01
10-02-2009, 08:07 PM
theres just so many things wrong with his blog. the funniest is him actually aware of his murray ass kissing, so hes not that retarded just a fan boy.

his bashing of womens tennis at the begining is needless, pointing out the womens tour is struggling doesn't make the mens look better.

As for his point, surely federer had a worse year last year, so although i do think federer isn't the player he once was, hes actually stopped and slightly reversed the decline this year. while nadal before injury looked like he could have ruled tennis, so his point is so off the mark.

still im at least happy he realises hes a murray fanboy, its a step in the right direction.

FedFan_2007
10-02-2009, 09:14 PM
When Fedal fail to win at least 2 slams in a year, then it's over. So far it's 5 years and counting...

10-04-2009, 12:31 AM
The day Silly-Dick wins a slam I will dance naked down 5th avenue.

Sunset of Age
10-04-2009, 12:33 AM
The day Silly-Dick wins a slam I will dance naked down 5th avenue.

I'll remind you of that, unless you're even uglier than Muzza himself. :p

paseo
10-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Fed is not the player he once was?? what?? what a revelation!! This guy is a genius at analyzing tennis :worship:

Cilic a GS winner by this time next year?? but.. but.. no, this must be true. Simon Reed has spoken!!! :worship::worship:

Arkulari
10-04-2009, 06:16 AM
Reed is a world class jinxer and a :retard: of cosmic proportions, he seems to be taken straight out of the MTF Tard Squad :retard:

Forehander
10-04-2009, 07:52 AM
That's how the sport cycle works. Simon Reed is just ridiculous.