2011 Davis Cup Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

2011 Davis Cup Thread

Deboogle!.
09-23-2009, 03:02 PM
:haha: US at Serbia first round. :haha:

No sense in looking past that. :rolls:

kaylee
09-23-2009, 03:42 PM
I totally agree cos ya know they will pick clay bah!

Deboogle!.
09-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Not only that, they have a doubles player that the Bryans have a really hard time beating. Plus, PMac will probably pick James.

Winston's Human
09-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Plus, PMac will probably pick James.

What will it take to get PMac to stop selecting James?

That said, if the US can somehow get past Serbia, I think that they would be at home the rest of the way.

Deboogle!.
09-23-2009, 05:09 PM
I would've thought it already would've gotten to that point so really i have no idea . Sam's already ranked above him if I'm not mistaken and by early next year, so could Isner or anyone else. Plus Sam's had a bit of Davis Cup experience and it was on clay.

Big if there, though.

tsurupettan
09-24-2009, 03:41 AM
R1 this year was Switzerland, now next year is Serbia... on most likely clay...

:tape:

Also, I will go and cut someone if (when? :o) PMac announces James instead of someone more logical and reasonable.

Deboogle!.
12-16-2009, 12:56 AM
:eek: SERBIA v USA

Details
Venue: Belgrade Arena
City: Belgrade
Surface: Indoor hard :eek:

Preview
Serbia and USA have never previously met and both teams will be harbouring hopes of progressing to the quarterfinals. Novak Djokovic and Andy Roddick are their respective country’s top players and, if they both play, will face each other in the opening singles rubber on day three.

tangerine_dream
12-16-2009, 01:23 AM

Details
That's a direct challenge from Novak/Serbia telling Andy/USA, "We don't have to handicap you on clay in order to win, we can beat you on one of your best surfaces." I give them a lot of credit for the gutsy choice. Even Spain and Russia were afraid of USA and had to put them on clay in order to win. :p

MissFairy
12-16-2009, 04:06 PM

Details

Preview
Serbia and USA have never previously met and both teams will be harbouring hopes of progressing to the quarterfinals. Novak Djokovic and Andy Roddick are their respective country’s top players and, if they both play, will face each other in the opening singles rubber on day three.
Wow.

OnyxRose
12-18-2009, 07:15 PM
*snaps fingers*. Well, that's just ballsy.

tangerine_dream
12-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Serbia chose indoor clay. :shrug:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4761219

Serbia picks indoor clay against U.S.

LONDON -- The United States will face Serbia on an indoor clay surface in Belgrade for its first-round Davis Cup match next year.

The venues for six of the eight first-round World Group matches on March 5-7 were announced Monday by the International Tennis Federation.

The Serbia-U.S. match will be played at the 20,000-seat Belgrade Arena.

Defending champion Spain has been granted an extension until Jan. 11 to choose the venue for its opener against Switzerland, which could pit Rafael Nadal against Roger Federer.

France will play Germany in Toulon, Russia hosts India in Moscow and Sweden faces Argentina in Stockholm -- all on indoor hard courts. Chile will host Israel on outdoor clay in Coquimbo.

Croatia will play Ecuador in Varazdin on an indoor surface still to be decided. The venue and surface for Belgium's home match against the Czech Republic will be confirmed by the end of the year.

The ITF said all venues are subject to a site inspection and final confirmation by the international body.

Deboogle!.
12-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Weird, yeah the DC site's article (where i pasted the original thing from) says now "Indoor TBC"

Ah well, it was too good to be true :lol:

OnyxRose
12-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Okay. That makes more sense.

Deboogle!.
01-07-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm without words.

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=3154&zoneid=4

Exclusive: Roddick, Blake out of Davis Cup
Peter Bodo - Thursday, January 7, 2010

For the first time in nearly a decade, the U.S. Davis Cup team will be without stalwarts Andy Roddick and James Blake when it travels to face powerful Serbia in a first-round tie in Belgrade in March. “It certainly appears to be the end of era,” U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe told TENNIS Thursday. “But the door will always remain open to both of those guys in the event they decide they want to play again.”

Roddick and Blake have both decided to leave Davis Cup off their 2010 schedules. McEnroe has yet to name the squad he plans to take to Serbia for the tie against a powerful Serbian team led by world No. 3 Novak Djokovic. The U.S. singles players most likely to be selected are Sam Querrey and John Isner, although that could change in the next few weeks, depending on the performance of the U.S. players in Australia. Mardy Fish is also high on McEnroe's list of Davis Cup candidates. Serbia will be heavily favored given that it will be contested on slow red clay.

McEnroe has said he hopes to develop Querrey and Isner into as loyal and effective a Davis Cup singles tandem as Andy Roddick and James Blake were for the past several years. Both players made their Davis Cup debuts in 2001; the U.S. has been represented by either one or both men in each of its last 25 ties. Roddick and Blake formed a formidable one-two punch in an era during which the rising level of talent, worldwide, made the international event more competitive than at any other time in history. And they helped rekindle the belief that Davis Cup ought to be a top priority, even for the marquee players whose already crowded schedules often make Davis Cup duty seem too onerous.

"Andy has always put it on the line for the USA in Davis Cup. His record of loyalty and his results speak for themselves," McEnroe said. "He's a legitimate Davis Cup icon with his 31 singles wins. Nobody appreciates what Andy has done more than I do, having been his captain for almost a decade."

McEnroe also had glowing words for Blake: "James Blake has played every possible role on the team, from practice partner to doubles and singles player. He's always been there, ready to do whatever he's been asked."

The U.S. has reached two finals in the past decade, losing to Spain in 2004 and defeating Russia to win the Cup in Portland, Ore., in 2007. With a 31-11 record, Roddick trails only John McEnroe (41-8) as a Davis Cup singles performer. Blake, who also played a few doubles matches, is a combined 21-12. The production of Roddick and Blake has been matched by the U.S. doubles team of Mike and Bob Bryan, who made their debut in September of 2003. The Bryans are 16-2 as a team; only Stan Smith (20-3 in doubles) and John McEnroe (18-2) have won more Davis Cup doubles matches in the Open Era.

"Bob and Mike have played an enormous role in our success over the years, and they demonstrate the enormous value a good doubles team represents in Davis Cup," McEnroe said. "And they're such dyed in the wool Davis Cup players that they'll provide a great example for the younger players coming into the pipeline. Nobody gets more pumped up for Davis Cup than the Bryans."

Look for a more in-depth analysis to follow shortly.

Kate87
01-07-2010, 08:21 PM
holy shit. me too, debs. :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

tangerine_dream
01-07-2010, 08:26 PM
James and Andy out of Davis Cup!? :eek: :sobbing: :bigcry: :hysteric:

Winston's Human
01-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Given that they were going to have to play Serbia on clay in Europe in the middle of the American winter hardcourt season, this does not seem too shocking. Andy has too many points to defend in the first half of the season. I am sure that Andy will be available for relegation with hopes of a better draw in 2011.

Deboogle!.
01-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Sure, but he's never seemed to care about any of that before. Obviously we knew there would be a day he wouldn't play, but I didn't think it would be this year. I thought he would go for Mac's record...

tangerine_dream
01-07-2010, 08:33 PM
http://i25.tinypic.com/2445d7q.jpg Somebody hold me.

*self hugs*

Deboogle!.
01-07-2010, 08:35 PM
:hug::hug:

snaillyyy
01-07-2010, 08:36 PM
:eek::sad::eek::sad: I really didn't expect this to happen just yet.

andymo
01-08-2010, 01:59 AM
Andy will be focusing on himself and his goals. He already won Davis Cup. It was one of his goal, now........Wimbledon, the last one.

arodfanpe666o
01-08-2010, 06:21 AM
Exactly. He is played ore than enough. Becoming 28 this season, it's time for him to think about himself. But he will play again 100%.

Kate87
01-08-2010, 11:52 AM
so he takes the year off

Roddick to take year off Davis Cup
January 08 2010 at 01:52PM

Brisbane, Australia - American Andy Roddick confirmed Friday that he would not represent the United States in the 2010 Davis Cup to avoid causing any further damage to his suspect knee.

Roddick was speaking after he beat Richard Gasquet 6-3, 7-6 (7/5) in the quarter-finals of the Brisbane International.

The world number seven injured his knee during the ATP event in Shanghai last October, forcing him to withdraw from the tournament.

He said while the knee was not causing him any problems now, he wanted to protect it as much as possible throughout the coming year.

"I want to switch surfaces as little as possible this year with my knee, because of the way last year finished," he said.

"I'm not going to be one of the guys who plays when it's convenient, when it's close to home and on a good surface for him. ( :haha: )

"In Davis Cup my view has always been you decide at the beginning of the year whether to go to everything or not and at this point we just decided that it was smarter as far as long term health is concerned, to at least be consistent with surfaces as much as possible."

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&click_id=30&art_id=nw20100108134835573C760360

Roddick to miss 2010 Davis Cup because of fragile body
Friday, January 8, 2010; 7:51 AM

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Andy Roddick has made himself unavailable for the U.S. Davis Cup team this year in the hope of preserving his ailing body.

Roddick, 27, has been a regular member of the American Davis Cup squad for almost a decade but has decided to miss this year after a knee injury cut short his 2009 season.

"I am not playing Davis Cup this year, (but) I am not retiring from Davis Cup," he told reporters at the Brisbane International on Friday. "I am not going to be one of those guys who plays when it is convenient, when it is close to home and on a good surface for them.

"In Davis Cup my view is that you decide at the beginning of the year whether you are going to go through everything or not.

"Sometimes you have to listen to your body and do what is smart even though it is not an easy decision in the short term."
ad_icon

Roddick's decision is a huge blow to the U.S. Davis Cup team following reports his long time team mate James Blake may also be pulling out this year.

The United States have won the Davis Cup a record 32 times, most recently in 2007, but face a tricky first-round tie away to Serbia this year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/08/AR2010010800920.html

Roddick to miss Davis Cup in 2010
American Andy Roddick has announced he won’t be playing Davis Cup by BNP Paribas in 2010.

Roddick, who made his debut in 2001, has enjoyed an illustrious Davis Cup career. He has compiled a win-loss record of 31-11 and was a key member of USA’s victorious team in 2007.

“I’m not playing Davis Cup this year but I’m not retiring from Davis Cup,” said Roddick. “We [Roddick and his team] just agreed that I’m going to switch surfaces as little as possible this year with my knee and the way that last year finished.”

Roddick was hampered with a knee injury at the end of 2009, causing him to miss a number of events including the season-ending ATP World Tour Finals in London.

“It certainly wasn’t an easy decision but I do feel confident in the fact that we have capable players who are ready and willing to step in and we’ll re-evaluate for next year,” said the 27-year-old.

Roddick is a former world No. 1 and US Open champion. In 2009, he reached the final at Wimbledon for the third time, losing to Roger Federer in an epic five-setter on Centre Court.

“Andy Roddick is an exceptional Davis Cup player and, over the years, his commitment to his team and to the competition has been outstanding,” said Francesco Ricci Bitti, ITF President.

“I have always seen him as a potential captain for the American team and I believe he would be a great one.

“While we regret that he will not participate in 2010, we have to respect his decision to change his programme to give him the best possible chance to win another Grand Slam title.

“He came so close last year at Wimbledon in what was surely one of the best finals ever and I believe that he has the talent and, more importantly, the determination to add one or more Grand Slam titles to his resume.

“We certainly wish him good luck in his endeavours and look forward to having him back playing Davis Cup in the future.”

James Blake has also decided not to play Davis Cup by BNP Paribas in 2010. The former world No. 4 - like Roddick - made his Davis Cup debut in 2001 and has since posted a win-loss record of 21-12. He was also a key member of the triumphant American team in 2007, winning both his singles rubbers.

http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsarticle.asp?articleid=16690

Deboogle!.
01-08-2010, 06:57 PM
from Pete Bodo:

Roddick, Blake leave untarnished Davis Cup legacy

Friday, January 8, 2010 | Feedback | Print Entry

It's a sad, somewhat sentimental day for American tennis, because for the first time in nearly 10 years, neither Andy Roddick nor James Blake will represent the U.S. in Davis Cup this year. Both men have taken their names out of contention (Roddick believes the decision will help preserve his knee, while Blake, presumably, wants to focus on his ranking) for places on the squad they helped create, with a big assist from the U.S. doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan.

Those four men have shown admirable loyalty to a competition that many top international stars, including Americans, often avoid. In the long term, Roddick's and Blake's most praiseworthy and lasting achievement might be having elevated Davis Cup back to a pre-eminent place in the eyes of young players and, to some degree, the public. Among others, Ryan Harrison, a rising American star (he's got a wild card into the Australian Open -- watch for him) is all fired up about playing for the nation.

Roddick and Blake leave significant statistical legacies. Blake was 21-12 (including 3-1 in doubles). Roddick's 31-11 record (all singles rubbers) is the best by any American player other than John McEnroe, whose brother is the 10-year team USA captain who put -- and kept -- together the Roddick-Blake team.

P-Mac, incidentally, doesn't want us to overlook the fact that most of the other U.S. players, most notably Mardy Fish, have always been ready and willing to step into the breech if needed. "You want to give Andy and James the props they deserve," McEnroe told me. "But the other American players were always ready to go, and when needed, they stepped up. It may be the end of an era, but I don't think it's the end of an attitude."

For example, in a relegation-round battle played in the Slovak Republic on clay in 2003, Dominik Hrbaty took out Roddick in the first match of the tie on an outdoor clay court. But in the next match, Fish stunned the Slovaks by taking out its No. 1, Karol Kucera -- despite the fact that clay is basically kryptonite for Fish. The U.S. went on to win (thanks, Bryans!) the tie. Remaining in the World Group enabled the Americans to make the final of 2004.

The U.S. lost that final, on red clay in Spain. But the team clinched the Cup three years later, beating Russia in Portland, Ore. Blake didn't handle Davis Cup pressure quite as well as Roddick, but he did a great job in Portland. After Roddick put the U.S. up one in the first match, Blake stopped Russia's Mikhail Youzhny in a tight second match before the Bryans clinched the shutout.

When you look at the success Spain has enjoyed recently (four Davis Cup championships since 2000), the U.S.'s 1-1 record in finals in this decade might not appear dazzling. But the astonishing global growth of the game (something for which Davis Cup rarely gets the credit it deserves) combined with the nosedive of the American game, presented formidable obstacles to success. What the U.S. achieved it earned with a rare degree of commitment, passion, team spirit, blood, sweat and tears.

Nobody bled or perspired or cried more than Roddick and Blake. You can throw the Bryans in there, too, but they're not done yet. In fact, if the team belongs to anyone now, it's Bob and Mike Bryan -- fitting role models for the Sam Querreys and John Isners of this nation.

tennis lover
01-10-2010, 09:13 PM
:sad: it is going to be weird not seeing Andy play DC. But it's good to see him trying to make sensible decisions! :yeah:

Deboogle!.
01-12-2010, 11:39 PM
:awww: :awww: :awww:
http://www.usta.com/photogallery/gallerydetails.aspx?id={78E69E18-FFE7-40D5-AA56-38670BB56CE3} (http://www.usta.com/photogallery/gallerydetails.aspx?id=%7B78E69E18-FFE7-40D5-AA56-38670BB56CE3%7D)

andymo
01-13-2010, 02:32 AM
He won it for the states 2 yrs. ago so now, let the others try and focus on himself and take care of his health. I agree 100% with his decision.

MissFairy
01-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Oh wow, that is so weird. It makes sense, scheduling-wise. I hope his sacrifice pays off in ranking, tournament wins and his health.

That gallery of his DC moments is awesome (: I'm going to miss it this year. Will be interesting to see the future of American tennis step right into the breach and see how they do. Tough first test, too.

tangerine_dream
02-17-2010, 10:39 PM
So it'll be John Isner, Sam Querrey and the Bryans who will face Serbia March 5-7. Good luck to the DC virgins! :aparty:

Deboogle!.
02-17-2010, 11:01 PM
At least Sam had the experience last year. Hopfeully that helps him. Still quite a tough ask though... good luck guys :awww:

Deboogle!.
05-11-2010, 03:29 AM
So, the world group playoff draw will be announced tomorrow. the US is the top seed and will face one of:

> Belgium [17]
> Brazil [18]
> Austria [19]
> Italy [20]
> Romania [21]
> Kazakhstan [22]
> South Africa [23]
> Colombia [27]

The way Sam and John are playing right now, I would like our chances against pretty much all of those teams, even if away on clay.

Viky-cro
05-11-2010, 10:03 AM
they play Colombia, at Colombia :)

Deboogle!.
05-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Certainly a good draw on paper. Even though it will be on clay they have very few decent players. Safe to say I'm sure Andy won't go

Bloodletting
05-11-2010, 05:53 PM
if Colombians are smart they'll take USA to a very slow clay in extremely hot and humid Barranquilla.

Deboogle!.
05-11-2010, 06:40 PM
i'm sure they will but besides Falla, who do they even have to play?

Smoke944
05-11-2010, 06:40 PM
i'm sure they will but besides Falla, who do they even have to play?

Giraldo

Deboogle!.
05-11-2010, 06:48 PM
oh that's right, thanks. Still liking US chances assuming Sam and John maintain their health and decent form, unless Falla catches a wind of good form that has eluded him this year so far

Deboogle!.
09-06-2010, 03:13 PM
omg :eek: they just announced that pmac has resigned effective after the colombia tie in a couple weeks :eek: courier says he'd be interested and hopes they give him a call, I can't imagine they won't :eek:

also, going to colombia will apparently be sam, mardy and isner... they are not sure about the bryans :unsure:

Deboogle!.
09-06-2010, 04:50 PM
nope, they're not going :sobbing:

Viky-cro
09-06-2010, 06:17 PM
also, going to colombia will apparently be sam, mardy and isner... they are not sure about the bryans :unsure:

Harrison is 4Th man, apparently they want to have 3 guys capable to play singles, at least that's what Bryan's have said on twitter

Deboogle!.
09-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Yeah, and that doesn't make sense to me. Is harrison really the 4th guy? Good to get him going early, i guess. IMO he is our best shot at a next champion.

DanaKz
09-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Yes, they called Harrison
http://www.usta.com/patrick_mcenroe_resigns_as_davis_cup_captain_annou nces_team_to_face_colombia/?promo=twitter
Gosh, it's tough for Ryan...
But in other hand, DC made good for Lithuanian kids, they are improving a lot because of DC.

tangerine_dream
09-06-2010, 06:59 PM
End of an era. :sad: Thanks for the memories, PMac. :wavey:

But the beginning of a new one, starring Jisner! :banana: I don't know how long the Bryans will be able to play. They are the team's bread and butter, unless Jisner can become a decent doubles team. :shrug:

Deboogle!.
09-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Yes, they called Harrison
http://www.usta.com/patrick_mcenroe_resigns_as_davis_cup_captain_annou nces_team_to_face_colombia/?promo=twitter
Gosh, it's tough for Ryan...
But in other hand, DC made good for Lithuanian kids, they are improving a lot because of DC.oh ok thanks. Good for Harrison. I doubt he'll play unless it's a dead rubber or something happens to one of the others. but with Isner's ankle and Mardy really not looking good and Sam probably making the semis.......this is not good.

Winston's Human
09-06-2010, 08:20 PM
I hope they call Courier. He was a Davis Cup stalwart.

Viky-cro
09-06-2010, 11:22 PM
someone is not happy to be out of team
Donald Young
Patrick just please answer that one for me?...your last decision as davis cup captain is this? no disrespect to harrison at all!
10 minutes ago via web
Reply Retweet
i just want to know if its based off of ranking and performance why harrison gets chosen for the 4 man davis cup team before me???
12 minutes ago via web

Winston's Human
09-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Frankly, I would have added Ginepri since he actually has had some success at Roland Garros.

OnyxRose
09-07-2010, 01:25 AM
DY needs to sit down somewhere. Maybe if he can actually win a match they would could him.

I think the best option for coach would be Courier.

Deboogle!.
09-07-2010, 05:52 AM
It sounds like the twins were actually left off the team. I don't understand they'd basically be a guaranteed win. something strange is going on.

OnyxRose
09-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Is there a popcorn smiley? Because that would just be the most crackheaded decision ever.

Winston's Human
09-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Can you say zonal play here we come?

Deboogle!.
09-08-2010, 01:55 AM
:sobbing:

tsurupettan
09-13-2010, 10:37 PM
:tape: i guess they're gonna hope that either quisner or depending if they go with mardy's decent doubles skills will get them the doubles point in case they need it... what a weird decision tho.

tangerine_dream
09-22-2010, 05:18 PM
US to play Chile in the first round for 2011. Andy probably won't play next year. Gonzo is out until the French Open next year. I wonder who will replace PMac?

Round 1: US vs Chile (http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news;_ylt=AjiZBkN.w0D_Wq4bYMImRqI4v7YF?slug=ap-daviscupdraw)

The United States will travel to Chile, drawing a South American opponent in the first round for the second year in a row.

The U.S. or Chile will then face the powerful Spaniards or outsider Belgium in the quarterfinals.

The first round is from March 4-6 and the quarterfinals are set for July 8-10.

Spain, a four-time winner since 2000, will travel to Belgium as an overwhelming favorite. The Belgians though, produced one of the upsets of the year by defeating Australia 3-2 in Cairns over the weekend.

A trip to Chile will be a tough first test for the new U.S. captain after Patrick McEnroe retired following last weekend’s 3-1 playoff win in Colombia.

Much like the tie in Colombia, Chile is expected to play the Americans on red clay, the favorite surface of almost any team playing the United States. Chile lost 4-1 to the Czech Republic in this year’s quarterfinals, when it was hampered without injured top player Fernando Gonzalez.

Deboogle!.
10-27-2010, 02:41 PM
It's Courier:http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/davis/2010-10-27-us-davis-cup-captain_N.htm

And Doug Robson tweeted that Andy is on board to play next year :eek:

Björki
10-27-2010, 04:02 PM
great news x2 :yeah:

Heather1229
10-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Deb, surprised he's agreed to play next year.

Kate87
10-27-2010, 04:30 PM
double yay! :D

arodfanpe666o
10-27-2010, 05:35 PM
Well, at this point of his career, my opinion is that this is a bad idea, but if this is his decision, I respect it.

OnyxRose
10-27-2010, 09:12 PM
I would guess his rationale is that he didn't play this year and he didn't do any better (albeit he was sick/injured) so why not play DC? I dunno but yay.

Kate87
10-27-2010, 11:23 PM
from the Q&A with Courier on usta.com

USTA.com: You mentioned Andy Roddick. He took the 2010 Davis Cup season off to concentrate on the pro season but left the door open for a return to the team. Have you had any initial conversations with him yet about where he stands for 2011?

COURIER: I’ve spoken to all of the players throughout this process to make sure that they’d be comfortable if I were nominated to be the captain and to take their temperature to see what they were thinking about going forward. Andy is very much a straight shooter. He was very clear with Patrick last year that he wasn’t going to be able to play, and he was equally clear with me that he wants to play next year and that he’s available for all of the ties. So with Andy, he’s either in or he’s out, and he’s in for 2011, which is really exciting.

http://www.usta.com/an_interview_with_us_davis_cup_captain_jim_courier/

tangerine_dream
12-09-2010, 04:32 PM
:D

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2010-12-09-davis-cup-andy-roddick_N.htm

Andy Roddick to return to U.S. Davis Cup lineup in 2011

New U.S. Davis Cup Captain Jim Courier will be able to rely on an old hand when he takes his first team on the road to Chile next March. Veteran and Davis Cup stalwart Andy Roddick will be back in action for the USA next year.

"I'm very excited to be back on the U.S. Davis Cup team," Roddick, who sat out the nation-vs.-nation team competition in 2010 after struggling with a knee injury at the end of 2009, said in a statement released by the USTA.

"I have always said that Davis Cup is something you should commit to for the entire season and not when it is convenient. Trying to win the Davis Cup again is a top priority for me in 2011. Nothing compares to the atmosphere of playing a Davis Cup match and representing your country," Roddick said.

Roddick, who competed for nine consecutive years (2001-09), is 31-11 overall in singles, second in U.S. history in victories behind John McEnroe's record 41.

"Having Andy commit to the 2011 campaign is huge for our team," said Courier, who was named the 40th U.S. captain in October, replacing Patrick McEnroe. "Andy not only brings his outstanding Davis Cup record but also his experience and team leadership which will be invaluable to our efforts."

The USA owns a record 32 Davis Cup titles, the last coming in 2007 with a team led by Roddick. It was the USA's first title since 1995. Roddick has competed in 23 total ties (fifth all time among U.S. players) and has played in 42 total Davis Cup matches for the USA (fourth all time).

"I look forward to working with Jim next season," Roddick said. "It will be strange to be sitting next to someone other than Patrick on the bench, but I have a great deal of respect for Jim. He is a fierce competitor and I know he holds Davis Cup in the same esteem that I do. He had so many memorable Davis Cup victories, but the one that will always stick with me most is when he clinched the title for the United States in 1992 since I was in Fort Worth to see that match in person as a kid."

Now, the question for Courier is who does he take to Chile? Mardy Fish earned the clinching point in Colombia in September to keep the USA in the World Group. The rest of that team included John Isner, Sam Querrey and youngster Ryan Harrison. In doubles, Bob and Mike Bryan have been tough to beat for the USA, but they weren't on the team that went to Colombia.

Deboogle!.
12-10-2010, 03:59 AM
:yeah:

Fee
12-10-2010, 05:55 AM
Why is this being treated as news today? As shown in the post just above that, Andy had already made it clear that he was going to play DC in 2011. I'm confused by this. Did they just decide to do a press release since it was a slow time tennis wise?

DartMarcus
12-11-2010, 02:28 AM
Wonder who will play singles No.2 for USA: Mardy, John or Sam? Since the team is full of great doubles players, will The Twins play?

Deboogle!.
12-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Why is this being treated as news today? As shown in the post just above that, Andy had already made it clear that he was going to play DC in 2011. I'm confused by this. Did they just decide to do a press release since it was a slow time tennis wise?The only thing I had previously heard was Courier saying in his press conference when his position as coach was announced that Andy intended to play. This is the first official announcement I'd seen :shrug: I don't know how Davis Cup works, did he have to sign an agreement or otherwise officially declare his intent to play? It was around this time last year he said he would not be playing if I recall...

Wonder who will play singles No.2 for USA: Mardy, John or Sam? Since the team is full of great doubles players, will The Twins play?Several tennis writers seem to think he'll leave the twins home. Chile's team is not exactly the strongest right now, so I am not sure it matters a whole lot either way but it always seems strange to forgo a nearly guaranteed point. As for who'll play 2nd singles, I would be surprised if he announced before he has to, in order to see how all the guys play in Australia. Mardy ended the year hurt and neither Sam nor John ended the year playing very well, so right now it seems pretty open!

cobalt60
12-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Will be interesting to see who does what in AO land.

arodfanpe666o
03-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Clip of Andy trainig - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwZ_0NC-1pg

Maybe he is healthy again - this is a good sign.

Sonja1989
03-04-2011, 05:45 AM
Hi all! :wavey:
So good that Andy is playing in Davis Cup now even though he must much point defend in this two masters event. So big thing. :)
Good luck!!!

Hi Kate87! I seem all Hungarian likes Andy. :D :D :D

OnyxRose
03-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Andy did his job, per usual.

Deboogle!.
03-04-2011, 04:38 PM
:yeah:

Sonja1989
03-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Well done Andy!!! Great win! :yeah:

tangerine_dream
03-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Yay Davis Cup Andy is back! :bigclap:

It's amazing to me how Isner can go months without breaking anybody's serve. :scratch:

Deboogle!.
03-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks, Isner :rolleyes: Assuming the bryans get it done tomorrow andy will get another chance to clinch

Sonja1989
03-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks, Isner :rolleyes: Assuming the bryans get it done tomorrow andy will get another chance to clinch

:confused: Capdeville played much better than Massu.
Bryans and Roddick will win.

Deboogle!.
03-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Isner blew every opportunity he had, IMO. Also, very bad body language and attitude near the end. not a winning mentality, which is such a problem for andy so often but luckily not usually in davis cup.

cobalt60
03-04-2011, 11:24 PM
Isner blew every opportunity he had, IMO. Also, very bad body language and attitude near the end. not a winning mentality, which is such a problem for andy so often but luckily not usually in davis cup.

It was the 4 C's Deb- Clay, Capdeville and the Chilean Crowd.

Deboogle!.
03-05-2011, 12:57 AM
It was the 4 C's Deb- Clay, Capdeville and the Chilean Crowd.:lol: more or less, but there was a lot of other stuff going on there too. my twitter feed was full of people complaining about the fact that Isner has no return, which seemed painfully obvious against a guy like Capdeville who frankly i don't believe is very good and doesn't really have a weapon. John should be able to break him, especially on clay. and I don't think there's ever any excuse for bad body language, it's what makes me angriest at Andy when he does it and that was not good today. I feel for John, he sounds absolutely torn up on the audio on the DC site and hopefully his buddies can lift his spirits tonight, but he has hardly made an impressive start to his DC career :(

Sonja1989
03-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Isner isn't in good form and he had leg injury. Maybe you are right, but I seemed Isner his body language and attitude was okey except the fifth set.

cobalt60
03-05-2011, 01:09 PM
:lol: more or less, but there was a lot of other stuff going on there too. my twitter feed was full of people complaining about the fact that Isner has no return, which seemed painfully obvious against a guy like Capdeville who frankly i don't believe is very good and doesn't really have a weapon. John should be able to break him, especially on clay. and I don't think there's ever any excuse for bad body language, it's what makes me angriest at Andy when he does it and that was not good today. I feel for John, he sounds absolutely torn up on the audio on the DC site and hopefully his buddies can lift his spirits tonight, but he has hardly made an impressive start to his DC career :(

I agree :yeah: I only was able to watch the first 2 sets and John just seemed so uncomfortable.

Deboogle!.
03-05-2011, 04:37 PM
well the twins got it done yet again so it's up to andy to clinch again :rocker2:

cobalt60
03-05-2011, 04:49 PM
well the twins got it done yet again so it's up to andy to clinch again :rocker2:

Never in doubt unless Gonzalez was playing with Massu.

Deboogle!.
03-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Yep :lol:

Deboogle!.
03-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Andy's 11-0 going into a 2-1 day on Sunday:yeah:

I don't get TTC anymore but people are saying they said that if we win, the QF would be in Austin? oh man :haha: that'd be kind of epic!!!

Raina
03-05-2011, 05:27 PM
they heard it from Justin, and Justin just clarified on twitter that it was his own speculation. :lol:

cobalt60
03-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Andy's 11-0 going into a 2-1 day on Sunday:yeah:

I don't get TTC anymore but people are saying they said that if we win, the QF would be in Austin? oh man :haha: that'd be kind of epic!!!

Road Trip :rocker2: Always have wanted to see Austin.

Deboogle!.
03-05-2011, 05:50 PM
yeah i see that now :lol: I hope it's true though, it'd be awesome :rolls:

arodfanpe666o
03-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Karlovic broke Andy's serve record - 156 mph. I was hoping it was going to stay untill Andy retires, but...

tangerine_dream
03-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Davis Cup in Austin would be great to watch but I wouldn't be able to attend in person. :sad:

Andy will clinch it for team USA tomorrow. :banana:

Raina
03-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Karlovic broke Andy's serve record - 156 mph. I was hoping it was going to stay untill Andy retires, but...

is it official yet?

arodfanpe666o
03-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Well, it is in Wikipedia and ATPworldtour.com already...I guess it is official :)

OnyxRose
03-06-2011, 01:47 PM
So yeah...it's not going well. Going to lose the first set.

Deboogle!.
03-06-2011, 01:53 PM
uhhhhhhhhhh :help:

OnyxRose
03-06-2011, 02:01 PM
I feel like I'm watching Isner, his body language is sooo bad.

cobalt60
03-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Interesting.

Deboogle!.
03-06-2011, 02:11 PM
we've seen this show before, kids. Much lesser player isnt nervous, standing right on the baseline, taking total control of Andy, who is standing 3 meters back. ma nishtana :zzz:

cobalt60
03-06-2011, 02:13 PM
:rolls: Except that it is not really a laughing matter.
He will win but at what cost? Fatigue?

Deboogle!.
03-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Per usual, this is a joke, he's playing like a scared schoolboy against someone outside the top 150 who's never been in this situation before. You have to laugh. How can you not? the other alternatives are depressing :p I'm sure he'll leave everything out there to try to win, even if he continues to play like trash. The cost will be the two humongous tourneys he has coming up and allllllll the points he has to defend at them.

cobalt60
03-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Exactly! Although I will give credit to Capdeville- he is playing way above himself today. See what confidence can do?

Of course I find this all a bit bizarre for me considering who they are playing. ;)

Deboogle!.
03-06-2011, 02:27 PM
:lol: I understand ;) Andy seems to be starting to play a bit better but still not good enough. Capdeville is doing the gamebook on Andy that everyone tries, playing every shot to Andy's BH and it's working. As I always say though, Andy's opponents often seem to play "way above themselves" against him b/c of his passive play, it allows these lesser guys to hit a ton of winners. Add to that playing at home and for your country and it makes sense. Would really be a shame, though, for andy to lose his perfect closing record against a nobody.

cobalt60
03-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Good last service game though :yeah:

cobalt60
03-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Must disappear. ARod in 4 for me.

Sonja1989
03-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Don't worry, Andy will win. :)

Deboogle!.
03-06-2011, 04:13 PM
phew:rocker2: Spain at home now and Rafa has said he will play... something fast and LOW BOUNCING please, capt. jim

Sonja1989
03-06-2011, 04:19 PM
Well done Andy! :worship:
Who will choice ground? I think USA has nice chance on American Indoors court.

Deboogle!.
03-06-2011, 04:23 PM
USA home tie will choose surface. it'll be right after wimbledon, so outdoors or indoors is an option. I agree, nice fast low-bouncing indoor court could work but verdasco and lopez are good on faster surfaces too. it'll be very very tough no matter what

Sonja1989
03-06-2011, 04:28 PM
USA home tie will choose surface. it'll be right after wimbledon, so outdoors or indoors is an option. I agree, nice fast low-bouncing indoor court could work but verdasco and lopez are good on faster surfaces too. it'll be very very tough no matter what

Thanks. Verdasco's worst court is indoor I think.

Raina
03-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Andy the Closer, 12-0!! :banana::banana::banana:

OnyxRose
03-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Good that Andy still has his perfect closing record!

tangerine_dream
03-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Love the Chuck Norris move at the end. :D

From twitter:

USTA announced that Albany, NY, Austin, TX, and San Antonio, TX are the 3 finalists to host the QF vs Rafa & Spain July 8-10.

The USTA will name site for Davis Cup tie between USA and Spain no later than week of March 21. At least 8,000 seats!

Deboogle!.
03-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Albany???????? :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

I'm sure one of the texas options will win.

cobalt60
03-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Knew he would win;) ALBANY???? WTF? Who is paying whom under the table :p
Austin please :angel:

Deboogle!.
03-06-2011, 06:08 PM
The USTA article calls Austin the "prohibitive favorite" - with either of the texas options, a sellout is an almost certainty, so i'm sure they will go with one of those. Andy has family in San Antonio too if i recall

cobalt60
03-06-2011, 06:29 PM
I am dreaming though; would love to go to Austin more than actually watch tennis. Not happening though;)

Fee
03-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Texas in July? umm...

cobalt60
03-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Hot as hell Fee

Deboogle!.
03-06-2011, 06:38 PM
they could do it indoors

cobalt60
03-06-2011, 07:20 PM
they could at that but want to place bets? :lol: Never ceases to amaze me what decisions are made.

Deboogle!.
03-06-2011, 07:43 PM
I mean, i dont think it would be worse than the other summer destinations - Indy, atlanta, Cincy, etc, are all always miserable. I don't think austin's weather is markedly worse. i'm sure Andy would love for it to be outside. Mardy seems to like heat now that he's fitter, but who knows if he would be chosen (after Isner's performance this week i hope so, considering we are in the WG this year b/c of Mardy) in July. Who knows

Swim4life227
03-06-2011, 09:49 PM
I think they should go with whoever is in better form at the time. The Bryans and Andy (against #2 Ferrer/Verdasco) should be close to guaranteed points on home advantage. It's really going to come down to how we can get the 3rd point. Could Andy upset a tired out Nadal (who is likely to nearly max out on points during Clay/Grass)? Or could Fish/Isner/Querrey beat Ferrer or Verdasco (I think this is most likely).

I like our chances to win the DC if we make it past Spain. We will host the (likely) Serbia final. First, we wouldn't have even lost to them last year if it weren't for Andy pulling out. Isner took Nole to 5 sets but yet lost to Trocki in 4. If Andy played, we could have taken the crucial 3rd point. Andy could easily beat Nole on a hard court in a home crowd and we all know Nole IS that team.

Winston's Human
03-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Nothing could be finer than some outdoor summer tennis in Texas. If they pick Austin, I may have to trek down the highway to see it.

Deboogle!.
03-07-2011, 01:41 AM
If you can, you should. nothing is more fun than davis cup tennis :yeah:

tangerine_dream
03-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Was there any doubt? Austin, TX it is.

KXAN_News Austin's Andy Roddick announced on the Bobby Bones Show that the Davis Cup is coming to Austin in July http://tinyurl.com/49298n5

Deboogle!.
03-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Should be pretty fantastic on the UT campus with all those crazies:rolls:

tangerine_dream
04-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Ut oh. http://www.smiley-faces.org/smiley-faces/smiley-face-whistle-2.gif (http://www.smiley-faces.org)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2011-04-19-davis-cup-usa-vs-spain_N.htm

Spain appeals USTA's choice of surface for Davis Cup quarterfinal

The Davis Cup quarterfinal tie between the USA and Spain is nearly three months away, but the heat already is on.
The Spanish Tennis Federeration filed an appeal to the International Tennis Federation claiming that the surface chosen by the USTA for the event is not ITF approved.

The surface, known as Indoor Hard Premiere, was not on the list approved by the ITF, the sport's world governing body which runs the Davis Cup, the Spanish Federation said in a statement on its website.

The tie is scheduled for July 8-10 at the Frank Erwin Center on the campus of the University of Texas in Austin.

The USTA said that all questions regarding the issue should be directed to the ITF.

"It's a court that we are not familiar with because it doesn't meet the criteria," Spain Davis Cup captain Albert Costa told a news conference in Barcelona. "So the problem I have right now is to explain to the players what kind of court they will encounter, because even if we wanted to train on a similar one we could not install it because it is not approved," he added.

The ITF can confirm that the RFET lodged an appeal with the Davis Cup Committee," the ITF said in a statement. "The Davis Cup Committee has been asked to consider whether the surface chosen for Austin complies to rule 38 (a) of the Davis Cup Regulations for the Competition 'Surface of Courts and Playing Conditions. The Committee is in the process of considering this appeal with a decision expected later this week.

The USTA noted that it had used the surface before for Davis Cup matches, including in 2007 against Spain. It also was used in the 2007 final against Russia, among other times.

According to a report at tennis.com, the surface is sold in Europe under another brand name and might be used at other European ATP tournaments. The ITF does not approve surfaces by brand name, just by types, such as an acrylic hardcourt, which Premiere is one of. Spain has apparently objected to the brand name, and not the type of surface.

Fee
04-21-2011, 05:28 AM
After reading the ITF Rulebook and seeing the twitter chatter amongst the tennis journos about this, it all seems like much ado about nothing. The ITF requires court types, not brand names, and this type of court fits the regulations.

Deboogle!.
07-09-2011, 02:28 AM
well, that was fuckign ugly. cant say i've ever seen him DF twice to lose a match before, or giveu p before it was over, or lose two sets after being up breaks in both. also cant remember that he's ever lost a DC match in straights at home. In austin no less. I actually am sad for him for the first time in a long time.

tsurupettan
07-09-2011, 02:33 AM
wow, what the fuck happened. i'm suddenly glad i didn't watch his rubber.

Deboogle!.
07-09-2011, 02:34 AM
he had 40-0 and 2 other SPs in the first set at 5*-4, then 2 more in the Tb, and lost. then an early break in the 2nd and gave it back, then the end of the third was about as ugly as i've ever seen from any player let alone him. sad.

Before the matches started i said to people he would either be awesome or horrible playing in austin, guess we got the answer :tape:

tsurupettan
07-09-2011, 02:44 AM
it must be such a miserable feeling to have a loss like that, considering everything (during davis cup, in austin of all places). and here i (and probably many others) figured usa would stand a really nice chance against spain without rafa.

i'm honestly shocked that it's not 1:1 because i figured if mardy lost, andy would have his rubber on lock today.

OnyxRose
07-09-2011, 02:46 AM
I don't know how he lost this match. It's just going to get even worse from here on out.

Fed_Ds
07-09-2011, 04:47 AM
Just got back from the match. Was really depressing to see Andy lose like that :sad:. I thought after squandering the first set and then leading 3-0 in the 2nd that he was turning things around. But I can't believe he lost in straights, the crowd was trying so hard to pump him up, but sadly it was not enough. Have to hope the Bryans will win tomorrow so USA can still have some hope.

cobalt60
07-09-2011, 02:43 PM
I thought Lopez and Ferrer played excellent! Overall imo Fish played better yesterday than Andy. ARod just had no answers for what was always coming back. And is it me or was this really a fast court? I would have expected the balls to whizz by but they just seemed to hang in the air. Even though it was indoors would the atmosphere/humidity really play a role?

tsurupettan
07-09-2011, 04:23 PM
from what i watched of mardy's match, it didn't seem that the court was playing that fast, not like what i was expecting at least. i knew they wouldn't do a super fast court because both andy and the bryans play better on one that's not too much so, but i still didn't think it'd be playing like from what i saw yesterday. :shrug:

Deboogle!.
07-09-2011, 04:56 PM
ferrer did play well, but so did Andy. He was hitting some forehands we havent seen for years. Problem is Andy played truly horrendously on the important points and in tennis that's what matters. Maybe it was the pressure of playing at home combined with Davis Cup combined with the fact that he hasn't had that many matches but Andy lost that match. Ferrer did what Ferrer does. By the third set Andy was just mentally gone and he admitted as such in the press conference :o

the court didnt seem that fast to me at all. Almost every point Andy and Ferrer played was a long rally :help:

cobalt60
07-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Phew glad to see others thought the court was not fast. I thought the first set was excellent, but when he lost the break back I had this feeling. You are right Deb, he played the important points poorly and sometimes his shot selection had me going WTF?

heya
07-09-2011, 06:58 PM
the court was no different from san jose. he never beat top 10 players in davis cup.

he got away with doing little because he rarely played top 15 players in san jose.
thanks to cheater patrick mcenroe, he never stopped playing dc to work hard on his diet, serve and net rushing, but he chose to gain 15 pounds and get sick at hotels while he 'took time off from tennis'.
now, he has no serve and can't live up to the ranking.
no wonder the parents hid away at wimbledon and austin.
hope the money comforts them...

ferrer wasn't even at top 10 level because he should've won the 1st set 6-1 but almost lost it.

tsurupettan
07-09-2011, 08:11 PM
:lol: omg, this tie is basically a trainwreck thus far.

Deboogle!.
07-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Well it's hard to see mardy beating ferrer buuuuuuuut I guess anything's possible :help: :tape:

tangerine_dream
07-09-2011, 11:17 PM
Where's the broken record icon? That had to be the worst I've ever seen Andy play in Davis Cup. I was surprised to see him mentally check out in the third set. You'd think playing in front of the home crowd would help elevate his game, but instead he laid an egg.

Thank God for the Bryan brothers, the crowd had great, positive energy today. I hope that rubs off on Mardy and Andy tomorrow. They need it. :cheerleader:

What's Gimelstob's problem with Lopez? He may be a nancy boy metrosexual but he's been playing great tennis lately. He beat Andy at Wimby, he beat Mardy in five sets Friday. I don't see why he can't beat Andy in five on Sunday but Justin is so sure that won't happen. I hope he didn't just jinx him. :facepalm:

tsurupettan
07-09-2011, 11:17 PM
:tape: anything's possible, for sure.

i saw feli's tweet about gimelstob during wimbledon and wondered what happened. :lol:

OnyxRose
07-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Gimelstob is an embarassment. Feli has done more in his career than he has or has Gimelstob forgotten just how inept a tennis player he really was?

Ehhh, Fish might beat Ferrer but I think Andy is just mentally fried. What I don't like is people conveniently forgetting everything Andy has done to keep US tennis alive. Fish has just started to play well because he decided to get serious late. Andy, with so much pressure on his shoulders and the realization that he pretty much is done contending for majors, well I think he's just not in a good head space now.

tsurupettan
07-10-2011, 11:28 PM
:haha: this tie, oh boy.

all credit to spain for taking advantage, even with no nadal. it'll be interesting if later on in the year it's a spain/serbia final. :lol:

cobalt60
07-10-2011, 11:30 PM
What is sadder is that there is no one to take their place. Sam has done a walkabout even when he isn't hurt and John will never be a top top player since his movement will always hamper him. Got to hand it to the Twins though.

cobalt60
07-10-2011, 11:34 PM
And I forgot about Ryan but I don't know; have to see how he matures in life and on court.

Deboogle!.
07-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Well, isner and harrison were off in newport wnning titles today, so ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

heya
07-11-2011, 01:47 AM
at the minimum, one has to serve and stretch well. neither can do much so his hyping of austin and waving the usa flag changed nothing.

tangerine_dream
07-11-2011, 04:08 AM
:facepalm: This facepalm smiley sure does come in handy. Here's a few more to describe this weekend :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

This was nothing but a monumental choke from the US. Having it in their hometown completely backfired on them, they couldn't handle the pressure they put on themselves. I still can't believe how badly Andy played on Friday. I wonder if it would have made a difference if he had played first like he usually does?

I feel bad for him, he had been looking forward to this tie for months, but he lays an egg on the first day, and then he wasn't able to redeem himself in the end. The Bryans and even Mardy can probably take away a few positives out of this, but Andy? Er, um, http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sad006.gif

Ferrer was the DC hero this weekend, outstanding play from him.

Thankfully Andy has a few weeks off to try to forget the whole thing and focus on the summer hardcourts.

blosson
07-11-2011, 06:50 AM
OMG. I though Mardy would come back at the 4th.
Hey at least US beat Brazil in women's soccer...