The comeback trail (fingers crossed). 2009/2010 - Honolulu Ch. post #41 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The comeback trail (fingers crossed). 2009/2010 - Honolulu Ch. post #41

Fee
09-22-2009, 11:19 PM
All of the other threads seemed out of date and inappropriate for this topic of conversation, so here's a new one.

After 4 years of battling 3 main injuries (chronic shin splints, right shoulder, and lower back), Jan-Michael has been playing relatively pain free lately so he is going to give it a shot and see what happens. He is starting this week at the Costa Mesa Futures (USA F 23), for which he won playoff events to earn wildcards into the singles and doubles draws.

He and his partner Zac Tsai won their doubles match today 7-6, 6-3. JMG was a little bit rusty, but everything I saw today makes me think the more matches he can play, the better he will get and the more he will be able to shake off his lack of match toughness. It's far too early to tell how he will do against tour level players, or even Challenger level players, but this is a good start for him. The real test will be his Singles match tomorrow, he needs to work out his movement on the whole court, not just half of it.

Chip_s_m
09-24-2009, 02:32 AM
Gambill beat Cox 6-4 6-2. That's a good win, especially considering the scoreline. Up next is Korean junior Yong-Kyu Lim.

DartMarcus
09-24-2009, 04:06 AM
Beating Wimbedon runner-up :worship:

Fee
09-24-2009, 05:29 AM
He played well, better than I've seen him play in a long time. He played well in his doubles match too. He is definitely still rusty and he needs to work on his footwork a lot (and get some trust back in his legs after 4 years of shin splints), but I saw so much good in his matches today - he can still serve well and he can still rip good clean ground strokes. His volleys are strong, but not consistent yet. He just needs to keep playing as many matches as he can get. He got his points in both Singles and Doubles, so he's back on the ATP rankings list again, now it's just one day at a time to see how much more he can do.

Chip_s_m
09-25-2009, 01:32 AM
And we have another win! Gambill beat Lim 6-2 6-7(3) 6-2. Up next is Phillip Bester.

Fee
09-25-2009, 03:42 AM
Today was ugly, no other word for it. But, it was the kind of match that JMG needed to grind through to get more work under his belt. He knew it when it was over too. The best news, is that by winning this match and playing on Friday, he gets a special exempt entry into the Laguna Niguel Futures next week, and that's just another 20 minutes down the freeway from this one. So yay, more matches. JMG and Zac lost their doubles in straight sets, no big surprise considering how much tennis he had already played today (and the last two days), he was kind of blah on court this evening.

Bester will be tough, but win or lose it will be a good workout for him.

Fee
09-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Jan-Michael defeated Philip 'Fucking Americans' Bester today 7-5, 7-6. This was the best match he's played so far of the 3, he served really well, he was hitting his groundstrokes better, and oh my goodness he was running all over the place today. His footwork has been a wreck the first two days and today it was just awesome. He is definitely shaking off the rustiness and getting good matches. Tomorrow will be another good one, against Michael McClune at about noon.

Smoke944
09-26-2009, 02:49 AM
Jan-Michael defeated Philip 'Fucking Americans' Bester today 7-5, 7-6. This was the best match he's played so far of the 3, he served really well, he was hitting his groundstrokes better, and oh my goodness he was running all over the place today. His footwork has been a wreck the first two days and today it was just awesome. He is definitely shaking off the rustiness and getting good matches. Tomorrow will be another good one, against Michael McClune at about noon.

Awesome that you're there. Watch Ryan Harrison for me, will you? :D

Fee
09-26-2009, 03:09 AM
Awesome that you're there. Watch Ryan Harrison for me, will you? :D

The only way I'll see Ryan Harrison play is if he and Jan-Michael both make the final. That's actually not too far fetched, come to think of it. :)

DartMarcus
09-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Great result for Jan Mike! Expecting a tough semi.

atm708
09-26-2009, 01:09 PM
I was excited when I saw Jan-Michael in the draw earlier this week. I thought he had put up the racket for good. I'm glad he's made it to a semi already. Here's hoping he bested McClune.

Fee
09-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Jan-Michael lost to McClune 3-6, 5-7. I think he was just a bit tired. He served well, but had a few more double faults than he's had all week and he just didn't look very energetic. He moved well but his groundies were a bit off on both sides. Considering how good he looked on Friday, I really do believe that he just ran out of gas on Saturday. With the doubles and singles, he got 7 good intense matches in this week and he earned ATP points again in both so he's back on the rankings.

He got a special exempt entry into the Laguna Niguel Futures this week, just 20 minutes south of Costa Mesa, so he'll be playing again on Tuesday. I know he asked for a doubles wildcard, but I don't know if he's been given an answer on that request yet.

Fee
09-28-2009, 09:48 PM
Jan-Michael did not get a special exempt after all because he never entered Laguna Niguel (took them a few days to notify him), so he is taking this week off. He will play the Sacramento Challenger next week. That should be interesting, higher level of competition.

DartMarcus
09-29-2009, 04:08 AM
Will he get MD WC or play quailes?

atm708
09-29-2009, 12:20 PM
How many points did he get from reaching the semis? I couldn't find him in this weeks ATP Rankings.

Fee
09-29-2009, 04:43 PM
He got five points, but the ATP enters points for Futures on the second Monday after the tournament, not the first. He will get his points and go on the Rankings next week. That's probably some agreement that they have with the ITF to verify all of the results or something.

Pretty sure his wildcard for Sacto is for the main draw, he didn't seem to be in any hurry to get up there by Friday for qualies.

Fee
09-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Jan-Michael got a doubles wildcard for Laguna Niguel, so he ended up going down there anyway. He should be playing right about now if they are on schedule (which I doubt). If he wins today, I might head down there tomorrow for his next match.

DartMarcus
10-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Jan Mike to face Ryan Sweeting in Sacramento CH R1!
Tough draw! We will see if he can play with top american challenger players!
Good luck! ;)

Fee
10-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Article in the Sacramento paper (I knew Paul would write about him)

Comeback 'kids' play in Natomas tennis tourney
pbauman@sacbee.com
Published Monday, Oct. 05, 2009

They're a combined 67 years old with 512 singles match victories at the top level of professional tennis and $8.6 million in prize money.

Both have cracked the top 20 in the world and reached the singles quarterfinals in a Grand Slam tournament.

Both have beaten Andre Agassi twice, Pete Sampras once and Roger Federer once.

And both are trying to bounce back from injuries and return to the elite ATP World Tour.

Americans Vince Spadea, 35, and Jan-Michael Gambill, 32, will play singles and team in doubles in this week's Natomas/USTA $50,000 Men's Professional Tournament at the Natomas Racquet Club.

Spadea, the second-oldest singles player in men's pro tennis behind 36-year-old Frenchman Fabrice Santoro, has been plagued by shin splints, foot tissue inflammation, bursitis in his right (playing) forearm and back problems. Ranked a career-high No. 18 in the world in 2005, he has tumbled to No. 191.

"This is my third comeback," said the philosophical Spadea, who will face Ukrainian-born American Alex Kuznetsov in the first round about 7 tonight. "It's sort of fun to challenge yourself all the time.

"I think life is about waking up in the morning and looking forward to an aspiration, an ambition that you set out for yourself. I think we're happiest when we're working toward that goal."

Gambill, meanwhile, has missed most of the past four years with severe tendinitis in both shins and his right (playing) arm. He is unranked after reaching No. 14 in 2001.

"My goal is to have a good time on the court, to have fun with my tennis," said Gambill, who will open against seventh-seeded Ryan Sweeting of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on Tuesday. "Being injured for four years, basically, has been a drag. It's been very hard on me mentally and (physically)."

Spadea isn't sure how long he'll continue playing.

"When it's time to move on, I'll know it," he said. "I still have a zest for competing."

Gambill, who uses two hands on both sides and is named after actor Jan-Michael Vincent, hopes to play for three more years.

"I'll be happy if I'm able to end on my terms, not my body breaking down," he said.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/story/2230802.html

DartMarcus
10-06-2009, 03:16 PM
In Doubles R1 Jan Mike and Vince will take on Odesnik and Witten!
Good luck to them!
Have you got any new vids of Jan Mike playing, Fee?

sammy01
10-06-2009, 03:19 PM
good luck to him, he deserves a bit of luck and a nice run injury free.

Fee
10-07-2009, 04:51 AM
JanMike defeated Ryan Sweeting 4-6, 6-4, 6-4. :D

This was a good win for him. I am quite pleased.

Chip_s_m
10-07-2009, 05:19 AM
Great win! Keep it up.

sammy01
10-07-2009, 10:48 AM
nice win, hope he can back it up!

DartMarcus
10-07-2009, 04:31 PM
That`s brilliant! Have anybody seen the match?

DartMarcus
10-08-2009, 05:07 AM
In Doubles Odesnik and Witten withdrew, so Jan Mike and Vince played Bakalov and Stebe and won 6-1 6-4!
Jan Mike plays Witten in singles and Levine\Sweeting in doubles next :banana:

DartMarcus
10-11-2009, 05:16 AM
Unfortunately JMG lost really close matches both in singles and doubles! But giving a fight to Witten is a good sign! Witten reached R3 at USO, taking a set from Djokovic and now reached semis beating top seed Kendrick!
Next week, Jan Mike is playing Royal Bank Of Scotland CH due to WC!
R1 vs Go Soeda (JPN)

Fee
10-11-2009, 06:11 AM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I had to be in Sacramento on Friday, so I saw JMG. His doubles match was delayed a bit by all the long matches. He told me that he played pretty well in the Witten match, he just didn't serve very well and kept getting broken at the wrong times. He didn't think he was going to get the Tiburon wildcard, but he got a call from the TD late Thursday (I think he said) and he accepted it. Calabasas is up in the air right now, so he'll just focus on Tiburon. He probably will not play doubles this week.

Fee
10-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Jan-Michael is playing an exo event (or a 'prize money event') in Vegas this week with Witten, Wilson, Yani, and a few others. The website is http://www.elitetennisseries.com/index.php but there isn't much info there. He's fighting a cold so I'm not sure how well he will play here. He's probably on court right about now, I'll try to get results later today.

superseles
10-27-2009, 08:15 PM
thanks fee ,hope jan stays injury free:)

Fee
10-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Oh yeah, he defeated Mike Yani in the first round 6-4, 6-3. Plays Bozoljac in the second round.

superseles
11-17-2009, 06:37 PM
hi fee,,is jan mike playing anymore tournaments this year?

Fee
11-17-2009, 11:01 PM
No, he's done for now except for the odd exo or Pro-Am here or there.

sammy01
12-17-2009, 09:25 PM
is he playing next year then?

Fee
12-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Yep, he's been hitting and working out lately so he's getting ready for something. Not sure what he will play or enter, with his ranking he has to rely on wildcards and such. He'll just get out there and see how it goes.

sammy01
12-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Yep, he's been hitting and working out lately so he's getting ready for something. Not sure what he will play or enter, with his ranking he has to rely on wildcards and such. He'll just get out there and see how it goes.

thanks, what is his ranking now?

atm708
01-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Can we look forward to seeing JM in the new year? :)

Fee
01-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Jan-Michael is headed to Ecuador to play the hardcourt challenger there. I doubt they are going to give him a wildcard so he will be there in time to sign in for qualies.

Edit: they gave him the wildcard after all. Excellent. :)

Kournikovaism
01-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Good Luck to him :bounce:

Baghdatis#1
01-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Good Luck! :bounce:

Fee
01-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Jan-Michael has won his 3 qualifying matches at the Honolulu Challenger. He will play Andre Begemann in his 1st round main draw match on Wednesday.

Well done Jan-Mike! :)

He's in the doubles draw with Mike McClune (I really like Mike, wish I could see them playing together) and they will play their first round match on Tuesday, last match on Court 2.

DartMarcus
02-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Jan Mike did not have much sucess at his last tournaments, but now he has a WC to San Jose qualies! :bounce:

richardcjy
02-21-2010, 04:22 PM
I didn't know Jan Mike is back in action these days, and I was so thrilled when I saw that he's ranked again! So I am so eager to know his schedule!!

Very disappointed not to see his name on Delray Beach Qualies. Thought he deserves a WC considering his pas success there! Fee, thanks for keeping us posted like the old days! Please send my best wished to Jan Mike:)

Fee
05-11-2010, 05:22 AM
Jan-Michael is wearing new clothes. He got a WC to the Savannah Challenger (clay, meh) and lost in the first round. He played doubles with Taylor Dent, they won their first match and lost the second one.

Here are some not so good photos of JMG in his new clothes (that's the only reason I'm posting them). He is wearing Quicksilver now, but still playing with Prince racquets. Quicksilver has a new high performance line, you can check it out at Tennis Warehouse. :)

Note the return of the black socks. :lol:

coetzergambill
04-19-2011, 09:29 AM
any news about him or his comeback? i know he played WTT but does he still intend to play on the ATP tour? i think he hasn't played a pro tour match in month.....but still hoping for a full comeback, even if it seems nearly impossible....

Fee
04-21-2011, 04:46 AM
any news about him or his comeback? i know he played WTT but does he still intend to play on the ATP tour? i think he hasn't played a por tour match in month.....bu still hoping for a full comeback, even if it seems nearly impossible....

He hasn't played on the tour in years. His last match was at the Irvine futures last September, he had to retire after the first set because of pain just below his knee (I was there). He hasn't played since. He is signed to play WTT for the Boston Lobsters again this summer. I'll see if I can get any news from him in the next couple of weeks, he hasn't really wanted to talk about tennis with me lately.

coetzergambill
04-27-2011, 08:44 AM
He hasn't played on the tour in years. His last match was at the Irvine futures last September, he had to retire after the first set because of pain just below his knee (I was there). He hasn't played since. He is signed to play WTT for the Boston Lobsters again this summer. I'll see if I can get any news from him in the next couple of weeks, he hasn't really wanted to talk about tennis with me lately.

hey, thanks for the answer. would be great to get some news from him. :)

alfonsojose
07-17-2011, 03:09 AM
He's playing WTT :D