What's the difference between Australian Open & US Open? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What's the difference between Australian Open & US Open?

Lebeuf
08-26-2009, 11:32 AM
( damn sorry for the title mistake )

Talking about the surface rebound ace or whatever , is there a difference at all , like when people say Nadal sucks at the US Open , is there a reason he should suck there and not at the Australian OPen? Im not even a Nadal fan just wondering.

Dini
08-26-2009, 11:38 AM
You can edit the title.

US Open courts are considerably faster and Nadal has been known to struggle more when the ball truly flies in the air and he has to take the ball early. Although he is much more agressive these days, hence the improved results in NY.

krystlel
08-26-2009, 11:41 AM
The ball bounces higher on plexicushion where the Australian Open is played. It also has a livelier bounce which means it takes spin better. I'd imagine the higher bounce combined with the overall slower pace means that he can afford to play further behind the baseline without the ball getting away from him, and he can also retrieve more balls because of the slower pace.

HattonWBA
08-26-2009, 11:50 AM
The ball bounces higher on plexicushion where the Australian Open is played. It also has a livelier bounce which means it takes spin better. I'd imagine the higher bounce combined with the overall slower pace means that he can afford to play further behind the baseline without the ball getting away from him, and he can also retrieve more balls because of the slower pace.

Perfectly said

08-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Ones played on glorified clay and one isnt.

federersforehand
08-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Well, one is played in Australia, and one in the US; in January and September respectively.

Audacity
08-26-2009, 12:28 PM

Spot on.

Bilbo
08-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Melbourne is a more beautiful place with better weather as well

bjurra
08-26-2009, 01:18 PM
While I agree with the above post regarding the surfaces, I think the main reason Rafa hasnt succeeded at the US Open is that he usually hasnt been in peak form going into that tournament.

Roger The Great
08-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Also from what I understand the US Open uses very lightweight, lively balls unlike some other places with fast courts like Wimbledon. In London they use very heavy tennis balls. So you have a faster surface than what's used in Melbourne plus lively balls.

krystlel
08-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Also from what I understand the US Open uses very lightweight, lively balls unlike some other places with fast courts like Wimbledon. In London they use very heavy tennis balls. So you have a faster surface than what's used in Melbourne plus lively balls.
Doesn't both the US Open and the Australian Open use Wilson balls? (Though they used to use Slazenger at the Australian Open)

I can't understand why they seem to have different effects though, as if the court surface brings out different qualities out of them? Like people have been complaining about Wilson balls fluffing up in Melbourne, but not in New York.

Har-Tru
08-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Balls are out of the question.

AO - Plexicushion Prestige, customised to a medium pace, medium bounce.
USO - Pro DecoTurf, fast pace, low bounce.

Just as a comparison, Indian Wells or Miami (Plexipave IW and Laykold Cushion Plus respectively) are slow paced, high bouncing surfaces.

rocketassist
08-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Nadal's improved results at the Open are down to weak opposition. He's never beaten a top class player there.

Nadal_Fanatic
08-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Nadal's improved results at the Open are down to weak opposition. He's never beaten a top class player there.
Well Nadal won in Beijing. The tournament before the US Open that used the same surface and balls. But he's never been in top form at the US Open. Maybe this year he will bring his best. We'll see.

duong
08-26-2009, 03:48 PM
The ball bounces higher on plexicushion where the Australian Open is played. It also has a livelier bounce which means it takes spin better.

Krystlel : somebody else -don't know how much to trust him however- told me that the Plexicushion (Australia) takes little the effects, including spin -and slice of course-,

than the Decoturf (US Open).

Higher bounce on Plexicushion from Australia OK, but are you sure it also takes better spin than the Decoturf of the US Open ?

And what about slice ?

mandeep
08-26-2009, 03:50 PM
The difference's in the two surfaces has already been pointed out already, but even if you don't know the inner details of the two, you can still notice that the ball travels slower and bounces more at the Australian open, making it unique from the US Open

kaylee
08-26-2009, 03:51 PM
I have to agree that by the time the US Open comes around Nadal is usually pretty worn out but I like his chances this year!

rocketassist
08-26-2009, 03:53 PM
I have to agree that by the time the US Open comes around Nadal is usually pretty worn out but I like his chances this year!

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

dijus
08-26-2009, 06:15 PM
tb in final set @USO :retard:

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2009, 06:23 PM
The Australian Open is in France and the US Open is in Cuba.

That's the difference, right? :D

Har-Tru
08-26-2009, 06:40 PM

weak...

:p

GlennMirnyi
08-26-2009, 07:40 PM
weak...

:p

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/5972/original/poster53488988.jpg?1248302721

vamosinator
08-26-2009, 11:52 PM
This thread is going to be hilarious next month :D

HKz
08-26-2009, 11:59 PM
The difference between the two this year is that Nadal is the winner of one of them and the loser in the other.

Bargearse
08-27-2009, 02:05 AM
The difference between the Aus Open and the US Open? Different surfaces. The plexicushion is probably a bit faster than the former rebound ace at the Aus Open, but it's still considerably slower than the Deco turf at the US Open.

The weather isn't necessarily better in Melbourne than New York but there are retractable roofs so play can continue if it's raining unlike New York.

Nadal's chances are better at the Aus Open because he is fresher as it is the first slam of the year. He hasn't totally wrecked himself with a full schedule to that point.

vamosinator
08-27-2009, 03:14 AM
Nadal has no problem on fast hardcourts, he just is fresher at the start of the year which means AO suits him more every year except this year now that he's coming off a break and will be just as fresh now as he was in January. His form will peak during the US Open. Nadal's serve is harder to break in the US Open than the AO.

serveandvolley80
08-27-2009, 03:36 AM
Can someone please tell me how to use the ignore feature?

CmonAussie
08-27-2009, 03:49 AM
~~~~~
~~~~~
i think RAFA prefers the climate, atmosphere and crowd at the Aussie Open-- AUS is easy going, friendly, fair,, whereas the US Open is loud, brash, rude-- its obvious he feels more comfortable in Melbourne [New York can be quite nasty unless your American or JesusFed]...

Foxy
08-27-2009, 05:14 AM
What are you talking about? Plexicushion leaves the ball nice and low. The lower I've seen in the outdoor tournaments this year. Maybe you mean the old AO surface rebound ace which was high bouncing. US Open is faster but the ball bounce is higher than AO. That is for sure.

duong
08-27-2009, 05:30 AM
For the plexicushion, I asked a question to Krystlel : I don't know if she did notice or considered there was nothing to say :confused:

Can someone please tell me how to use the ignore feature?

you go to "user CP" (top right) then to "buddy/ignore list" and you add the person to the "ignore list" (please don't make a coinfusion with the "buddy list" :D )

That's very useful ;)

Mechlan
08-27-2009, 05:41 AM
What are you talking about? Plexicushion leaves the ball nice and low. The lower I've seen in the outdoor tournaments this year. Maybe you mean the old AO surface rebound ace which was high bouncing. US Open is faster but the ball bounce is higher than AO. That is for sure.

No, plexicushion is lower bouncing than the old rebound ace, but still higher bouncing than deco turf. Slice certainly stays much lower at the USO. And all things considered, the surface at the USO is definitely faster.

Wojtek
08-27-2009, 07:39 AM

:retard:

Forehander
08-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Other than the surface. Weather also plays a huge role.

duong
08-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Other than the surface. Weather also plays a huge role.

yes, Wilander said that the Australian Open courts look quicker during the day and when it's hot.

krystlel
08-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Krystlel : somebody else -don't know how much to trust him however- told me that the Plexicushion (Australia) takes little the effects, including spin -and slice of course-,

than the Decoturf (US Open).

Higher bounce on Plexicushion from Australia OK, but are you sure it also takes better spin than the Decoturf of the US Open ?

And what about slice ?
Sorry I did read it earlier today but I also had to leave for work in a hurry. Plexicushion definitely takes top spin better, but I'm not sure about the slice. I know plexicushion surprisingly takes slice well considering its high bouncing surface, it doesn't sit up or anything but probably if I was to compare, it stays lower at the US Open. Also, the person who said that on plexicushion, it doesn't bounce as high at night is correct.

hisham70
08-27-2009, 09:29 AM
tb in final set @USO :retard:

Correct, a BIG difference.

duong
08-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Sorry I did read it earlier today but I also had to leave for work in a hurry. Plexicushion definitely takes top spin better, but I'm not sure about the slice. I know plexicushion surprisingly takes slice well considering its high bouncing surface, it doesn't sit up or anything but probably if I was to compare, it stays lower at the US Open. Also, the person who said that on plexicushion, it doesn't bounce as high at night is correct.

Thanks a lot :)

Goldenoldie
08-27-2009, 11:24 AM
If somebody can play well on both grass and clay, surely they can play well on the different types of hard court.

I think the long break before the Australian is the biggest factor. Some players are better for the break, others take more time to get into top gear.

nobama
08-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Is this a question about the difference in surfaces or which one is better suited to Nadal's game? :confused:

LEGENDOFTENNIS
08-27-2009, 04:08 PM
which is faster plexicushion or the old rebound ace?

GlennMirnyi
08-27-2009, 04:12 PM
:retard:

No need to post a picture of yourself here.

There's a thread for that in NT.

krystlel
08-27-2009, 04:13 PM
I played on plexicushion myself today and it does not bounce low where I play (where the Brisbane International is held). Maybe there is a confusion between plexicushion and plexipave, or something of a similar name - or either there is a different type of plexicushion somewhere else? I keep having these rallies that look like I'm lobbing the ball that I don't seem to have on a normal hardcourt. I don't mind that though because I don't like the ball bouncing low.

LEGENDOFTENNIS
08-30-2009, 08:14 PM

Har-Tru
08-30-2009, 08:53 PM

Plexicushion can be customised to meet many speed and bounce requirements. The type used at the AO now is slightly faster and lower bouncing than the old Rebound Ace.