US Open 2009 * Game over for Rafa :( [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

US Open 2009 * Game over for Rafa :(

Castafiore
08-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Right, since nobody seems to be eager to start this one :(, I'll volunteer for the "shoot the messenger" job. Let's get this thing started, shall we?

Draw:
Men's singles draw (pdf file) (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/ms/msdraw.pdf)

RAFA TO STAR IN NEW YORK CITY CHALLENGE

New York, August 25th 2009

Tennis greats, Rafa Nadal, Serena Williams, Roger Federer and John McEnroe will gather Wednesday, August 26, in the heart of New York City to challenge local youth tennis players and the general public to try their hand at experiencing what it’s like to return a pro serve.

Hundreds of tennis fans and youth from New York Parks and Rec, Athletes for Charity, and Mentoring USA will be treated to inspirational tennis tips and guidance from Federer, Nadal, Williams, and McEnroe.

Three youth, representing each organization in attendance, will also have a chance to win a donation for their group by returning serves from a tennis serve-simulator set to mimic the powerful shots of the pros. In addition, Nike, for the first time will unveil each athletes look for the 2009 U.S. Open.

Vamos Rafa!
Source: www.rafaelnadal.com

Nadal suffers minor abdominal discomfort

The Mallorcan tennis player, Rafael Nadal suffered a small muscle discomfort in the abdominal area due to its inactivity in the past two months. Which did not allowed him a fluid movement of fluid in the semifinals match agaist Novak Djokovic. The world number three, who is in New York had to do different promotional events, went to a medical facility to find out the real extent of the disruptions. Tests showed that he suffers a small micro tear in the abdominal area should not affect him for the start of the U.S. Open next week

(for all the "the excuse is ready" mugs out there: read: "should NOT")

Source: Mallorca Esports (http://siteground148.com/~mallorca/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=16&Itemid=27) + credit to www.vamosbrigade.com and to meriko in particular.

Rafa is going to blog again for The Times:
Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Rafa's back.

Send him your questions
E-mail your question to Rafa: rafa@timesonline.co.uk

The wait is over. Rafael Nadal makes his eagerly-anticipated return to grand-slam tennis at the US Open starting on Monday.

The former world No 1 missed two months of the season to recover from tendinitis in both knees and in that time Roger Federer won Wimbledon and Andy Murray became the world No 2, with the Briton establishing himself as the leading challenger to Federer for the US Open title.

Rafa made his tour comeback at the Montreal Masters event earlier this month and looked more like his old self despite losing to Juan Del Potro in the quarter-finals. The six-times grand-slam winner went a stage further at the Cincinnati Masters (right), but was convincingly beaten by Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals.

Can Rafa go one better at Flushing Meadows? Find out as he keeps you up to date with daily notes on how he's feeling, what he's doing and who he's been seeing. Nadal will also answer those pressing questions that you've always wanted to ask.

E-mail him now (rafa@timesonline.co.uk) and stay tuned for Nadal's first post.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/08/send-rafa-your-questions.html

Thanos
08-26-2009, 08:38 AM
final, i can't wait to confirm with hema. she taking her sweet ass time

acionescu
08-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Our boi is back in a GS :bigcry: :bigcry:

Hilde :yeah: :kiss:

elessar
08-26-2009, 10:21 AM

Like the knee shouldn't have been a problem for RG after Toni accidentlly let it slip to the press that it was :awww:?

Adam made me see the errors of my way last night, I should have started the thread!:(

Castafiore
08-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Save the trolling for another place, Claire.

tennizen
08-26-2009, 12:53 PM

Source: Mallorca Esports (http://siteground148.com/~mallorca/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=16&Itemid=27) + credit to www.vamosbrigade.com and to meriko in particular.

The excuse is for the lost match against Djokovic( did not allow for fluid movement in that match:lol:) not for the upcoming USOpen. And I am not trolling. Rafa is an excuse machine:shrug:

final, i can't wait to confirm with hema. she taking her sweet ass time

Final it is. You are almost ready to be my apprentice:yeah:

Castafiore
08-26-2009, 12:59 PM
No, but you're a Fedtard ass kisser, Tennizen.

I'm going to be in a bloody foul mood in this thread, I can sense it.

tennizen
08-26-2009, 01:02 PM
No, but you're a Fedtard ass kisser, Tennizen.

I'm going to be in a bloody foul mood in this thread, I can sense it.

You leave that to me to decide, Hilde. And as for you foul mood, for some strange reason, I could not care less:lol:

Castafiore
08-26-2009, 01:05 PM
I could not care less:lol:
I didn't exactly suggest that you should/could care but good on you for telling me so anyway.

Xristos
08-26-2009, 01:43 PM
put me down for qf.

star
08-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Right, since nobody seems to be eager to start this one :(, I'll volunteer for the "shoot the messenger" job. Let's get this thing started, shall we?

Fearless thread starting. :worship:

I've been anxious since I learned he'd been taped even in Montreal. Abdominal injuries, even ones that "should not" be a factor are worrisome. But even without any injury or injury layoff, these N. Am. hardcourts are a challenge for Rafa.

Rafa is going to blog again for The Times:

Hooray! :yippee:

Like the knee shouldn't have been a problem for RG after Toni accidentlly let it slip to the press that it was :awww:?

At least Rafa doesn't bawl :baby: at trophy presentations when he loses. :ras:

The excuse is for the lost match against Djokovic( did not allow for fluid movement in that match:lol:) not for the upcoming USOpen. And I am not trolling. Rafa is an excuse machine:shrug:

Yeah. Federina too. :p

elessar
08-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Save the trolling for another place, Claire.
Don't adress us in this thread if you don't want us to reply :lol:

Unless you were talking about all the other Nadalhaters who post in his forum.

Castafiore
08-26-2009, 06:45 PM
I didn't address you in this thread. You replied to my post for trolling purposes.

Furthermore, as you damn well know but you're only trying to wind me up :p, "nadalhaters" are accepted in the chat thread (well, haters within reason, I should hope) . In other areas, the player forum rules still apply.

Now, go play elsewhere.

Foxy
08-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Don't adress us in this thread if you don't want us to reply :lol:

Unless you were talking about all the other Nadalhaters who post in his forum.

Getty now!

Minn
08-26-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm saying SF for now.

l_mac
08-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Hema :rolleyes:

Getta
08-27-2009, 02:30 AM
fourth round.

Castafiore
08-27-2009, 07:10 AM
USO preview about Rafa (follow the link):

Source: The Tennis Channel
Posted on viddler by nnews

TTC USO preview (http://www.viddler.com/explore/nnews/videos/92/)

(credit once again to meriko from VB for finding that one)

Castafiore
08-27-2009, 05:02 PM
US Open, men's singles draw:

draw sheet (pdf) (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/ms/msdraw.pdf)

kaylee
08-27-2009, 05:27 PM
I agree with Minn right now SF - he has Andy M in his half I think but he should do quite well until then.

Metis
08-27-2009, 07:04 PM
As the IW 2009 thread starter, Hilde has proven her worth on HCs. Let's hope she will back up her performance with a good result in NYC. Not to mention her excellent skills at keeping the Fedtards and other haters on a short leash. :D

Let the prediction game begin! :rocker2:

How far will Rafa go in the US Open? (2000 points :hearts: :drool:)

1st -
2nd -
3rd -
4th - Getta, Metis
QF - Lena71, nashty, Xristos
SF - acionescu, Invisible, kaylee, MariaV, Minn, Naina
F - tennizen, Thanos
W - Foxy, greenhotchilipep, LinkMage, Topspin Forehand

acionescu
08-27-2009, 07:32 PM
SF :bigcry: :bigcry:

LinkMage
08-28-2009, 01:25 AM
WIN :yawn:

Getta
08-28-2009, 02:10 AM

make sure you have a night of sweet dreams, Gonzalo.

greenhotchilipep
08-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Win

Topspin Forehand
08-28-2009, 04:50 AM
Win as well. Murray's got the nightmare draw. He could lose early.

Foxy
08-28-2009, 05:08 AM
WIN.
I can't see anybody stopping a fit Nadal.

Castafiore
08-28-2009, 08:17 AM
A very small selection of videos:

Practice session:
www.newspusher.com - Spanish Tennis Star Rafael Nadal Has Fun Practicing at the U.S. Open, Signs for Waiting Fans" (http://www.newspusher.com/EN/post/1251340741-2/EN-rafael+nadal/exclusive-spanish-tennis-star-rafael-nadal-has-fun-practicing-at-the-u-s-open-signs-for-waiting-fans.html)

The Nike promo event with Serena, JMac, Fed:
Nike: Game.Set.NYC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CbAMsrWaOk)

MariaV
08-28-2009, 08:26 AM

:rolleyes: I have an urge to badrep you. :D

Uhhh, I predict SF, would still be a good result, no? :D

Castafiore
08-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Tim Morehouse, olympic silver medallist:
Its not often I get super excited to meet someone, but tonight I was a guest at private dinner with tennis champion Rafael Nadal and this was truly a fun night!

My friends Emma Snowdon-Jones and Courtney Dawson brought me to the little swaray.(Thanks guys!)

Nadal was a true gentlemen and amazingly nice guy. We got to chat a bit. He is a pretty shy guy, but clearly very intelligent.

Per a reader request, Nadal (and all of us) eat an appetizer of lobster and then an entree of filet steak following by some fancy cake type desert and chocolates. (He did not eat dessert…I did.)

I made some great new friends as well. I’m truly blessed/fortunate to continue to have such great experiences and meet so many interesting people!

Good luck to Rafael Nadal! The US Open should be that much more fun to watch now!

Follow the link to watch the pictures
http://timmorehouse.wordpress.com/

Swaray? As in Soirée?

nashty
08-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Qf Please.

Naina
08-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Semis please :D

Metis
08-28-2009, 06:37 PM
I see a surge of overly optimistic predictions. :silly:

Tim Morehouse, olympic silver medallist:

Follow the link to watch the pictures
http://timmorehouse.wordpress.com/

Swaray? As in Soirée?

I was laughing about that too. :lol:

Good boy Rafa, not eating the desserts :yeah:

That menu sounds really good :drool:

the graduate
08-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Go Rafa sent the dope fiend back to skidrow

Elena.
08-28-2009, 11:43 PM
I try with Qf

Invisible
08-30-2009, 04:16 AM
I'm going with SF

Castafiore
08-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Interview with CNN:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eLkbDsuoePI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eLkbDsuoePI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Thanks, Eden.;)

acionescu
08-30-2009, 01:56 PM
OMG, the **** :bigcry: :bigcry:

Xristos
08-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Put me down for QF!

Vamooos!

Jozie
08-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Hiya, I am a Gasquet fan, but I just have to let you know I love Rafa as well.
So, I wish Rafa well. I am certain he will go deep into the tourney, even though he is coming back from injury.
Good luck Rafa... you are not only a great tennis player, but an awesome ambassador for the sport as well. :yeah:

wilmar
08-31-2009, 01:23 AM
WIN for me.
Too optimistic maybe, but Rafa pulled it off at the AO after a long layoff. I hope he will be motivated to repeat the feat.
It would be incredible if Rafa can complete his Career Slam this year too!

the graduate
08-31-2009, 03:54 AM
if Roger and Murray are knocked off early Rafa will win the Open

Bibberz
08-31-2009, 05:00 AM
Qf

Snoo Foo
08-31-2009, 05:02 AM
QF, or wherever it is that he loses to JoJo Dancer

Castafiore
08-31-2009, 06:54 AM
Richard Gasquet;:
L'Equipe: Nadal, c'est aussi un des joueurs qui vous a beaucoup soutenu.
Gasquet: C'est celui qui m'a le plus soutenu, plus que tous les autres. S'il a un jour besoin de moi, je serai là pour lui. Je vais essayer de le battre, c'est le sport (sourires). Mais je n'oublierai jamais ce qui l'a fait pour moi.

L'Equipe, interview with Gasquet (http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090830_195831_gasquet-un-nouveau-depart.html)

Translation:
L'Equipe: Nadal is also one of the players who supported you a lot
He's the one who has supported me the most, much more than all the other players. If one day, he needs my help, I'll be there for him. I will try to beat him, that's sport (smiles) but I will never forget what he has done for me.

MariaV
08-31-2009, 08:48 AM
Richie and Rafa are both such nice guys. :hearts: :inlove: :worship: :bowdown:
What an unfortunate draw. :(

Castafiore
08-31-2009, 10:22 AM
MAMMA MIA!
New York, August 30th 2009

Rafa Nadal, a massive fan of musicals was invited to attend on Saturday night the famous Broadway musical Mamma Mia.

The production company and the theatre were delighted to have Rafa accept the invitation, especially knowing how busy he is, but also keeping in mind that it’s always in his plans to attend a musical every year. In 2008, he watched the famous The Phantom of the Opera and this year, he was lucky enough to see Mamma Mia, one of the most popular around the world.

Unfortunately for Rafa, he was late to the show given that he had to attend an ATP Player Council meeting. He only got there in time to watch the second act and was a bit disappointed for missing the rest of show, especially because he was really enjoying it. He will definitely try (if his schedule allows it) to watch the whole show again this week.

After a delightful evening, he was invited backstage to meet the signers and dancers of the prestigious and magnificent musical, giving him the opportunity to thank them for allowing him to come say hi, and also apologize for being late to their show.

Source: www.rafaelnadal.com (there's also a tiny pic on the home page)

dal
08-31-2009, 10:52 AM
here's a bigger version of the pic i found on FB

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs160.snc1/5975_125218871025_64822581025_2490158_1144349_n.jp g

Castafiore
08-31-2009, 01:35 PM
^ Rafa's Aussie 2010 outfit would fit in there nicely.

star
08-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Richard Gasquet;:

Translation:
L'Equipe: Nadal is also one of the players who supported you a lot
He's the one who has supported me the most, much more than all the other players. If one day, he needs my help, I'll be there for him. I will try to beat him, that's sport (smiles) but I will never forget what he has done for me.

:hug: That's so sweet of Richard. And brave of Nadal to speak so forcefully for him.

Snoo Foo
08-31-2009, 04:48 PM
Rafa Nadal, a massive fan of musicals

He will definitely try (if his schedule allows it) to watch the whole show again this week.

i thought he had people working for him whose job it is to keep this kinda stuff out of the papers

star
08-31-2009, 05:07 PM
i thought he had people working for him whose job it is to keep this kinda stuff out of the papers

At least there was no report of him standing, waving his arms over his head, and singing.

Minn
08-31-2009, 05:22 PM
^ Rafa's Aussie 2010 outfit would fit in there nicely. :rolls:

Castafiore
08-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Blogs

The first batch of questions and answers are published in his blog for The Times: Questions for Rafa: I'm 100 % ready for US Open (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/08/questions-for-rafa-im-100-per-cent-ready-for-us-open.html)

For those able to understand Spanish, here's the link to his blog for El Mundo: 'El saque es lo que más me cuesta mejorar' (http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/especiales/2009/08/usopen/consultorio/index.html)

Pre-tournament presser:

Monday, August 31, 2009

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Will you tell us a little bit about how you're feeling right now and whether you've progressed all since Montreal in terms of your condition?
RAFAEL NADAL: I feel well, no? I happy to be here. I play really well the first two tournaments after stop. Very happy to come back to the tour, and very happy how I did in the first two tournaments.

Q. Your feelings about playing your opponent in the first round?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think he's a very good player. Sure, he had to stop few times but probably is one of the players with more potential outside of the seeds, seeded.

Q. What has it been like for you since the French Open?
RAFAEL NADAL: I was at home. I was at home recovering from my knee. Yeah, maybe I was injured in the worst moment of the season to be arrive at the worst moment physically, one of the most important moments of the season, but at the same time, I must have been in Mallorca in the best moment of the season, too.

Q. How are your knees feeling? How are you more generally physically? Are there any other problems you're dealing with?
RAFAEL NADAL: Hopefully not, no. The knees are perfect right now, my feeling. I think everything is okay, so I don't have any problem.

Q. How tough has it been psychologically for you to deal with what you've dealt with the last couple of months?
RAFAEL NADAL: Psychologically for me now, I am perfect. After important stop, came back with more energy than ever, no. Probably I need few time to be ready, to get the rhythm, to play your best tennis, but the energy and the illusion is 100%.

Q. What is your level of confidence coming into this tournament?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know the level of confidence, but much better than what I expected when I started to play in Montreal, for sure.

Q. Have you changed your workout routine at all? Have you slowed down because of the knees? Work less, shorter hours?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. When you come back after an injury, you start slow always. You have to be progression, but later I am like normal right now.
Yesterday I practice two hours and a half. Today I practice two hours. I am feeling really well.

Q. Is it a bit of a psychological advantage to be a bit of an underdog here because of the injury? Less is expected so you can be more relaxed. Is there anything to that line of thinking?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I don't know why, no? I think I am perfect, no? I am relaxed to be here another year and to try my best another time.

Q. What significance would it have for you to win here? Is there something special about completing a career Grand Slam that would mean something to you?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, sure, but we haven't start the tournament yet. That's the true, no?
For me, have the title here, doesn't change my career, but I'm going if I had the title here, finish the cycle, no? I win the fourth. So it be unbelievable.
Right now, I really can't think about that, no? Third tournament after an injury, I am well and I gonna come here every year with the best illusion, best attitude and try to prepare this tournament as good as I can to win this title.

Q. Is it a significant difference, the court in Australia to the court here?
RAFAEL NADAL: No one court is the same. That's true, no? Few years ago I did quarterfinals, last year I did semifinals, so I feeling I am improving every year.

Q. Do you feel there is a bit of real difference between playing here and playing in Melbourne?
RAFAEL NADAL: The truth, the feeling is not a big difference. That's my feeling, no?
Maybe in this court, always in the center court is always more wind than there, but for the rest, the ball is a little bit different, but that's it.

Q. How much tennis did you watch when you were away from the game? Did you stay in touch with Wimbledon and watch most of the tournament?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I watch the final of Wimbledon. I watch a little bit of final of Roland Garros and saw the Davis Cup of Spain in Germany. That's it. That's it. I watch a lot of sport, but I watch the Tour of France. (laughter.)
But tennis, I watch a little bit of Wimbledon. That was the final. I watch few games, you know, normal, but not a lot.

Q. You showed a lot of support for Gasquet when he was suspended. He says he appreciates that very much from you. Can you talk about the reason, what went through your mind? You showed so much support for him.
RAFAEL NADAL: The true is I support him a lot. First thing, because I believe in him. Second thing, because I think he's a very nice guy. I know him since 13 years old or 12 years old.
I talk with him what happen. He told me he didn't take nothing. So I believe him 100%, and I think you know, it is open. I don't want to speak a lot about that and a lot of history is out about when I speak about that, but it's not 100% perfect sometime. If someone wants to kill you, somebody can kill you, you know? And you didn't do nothing. That's the true, no?
That's my feeling what happened with Richard, and of course they say that, no? He won. In the beginning, it was three years, and then it was three years because he didn't take nothing. So I'm very happy for that, and I am sure a lot of players are very happy for Richard.

Q. Can you say you are 100% well to play this tournament?
RAFAEL NADAL: What?

Q. Can you say you are 100% well, feeling well, for this tournament?
RAFAEL NADAL: I am 100% well to play this tournament, yeah. (laughter.)
I don't know if I am playing at my best level, but I am 100%. You want me 100%? Me too.

Q. Last week you commented on the schedule, the men's tennis schedule being too long. What sort of reaction have you gotten to that, the longer off season?
RAFAEL NADAL: Because the season starts 1st of January and finish 5th of December. Well, that's not the moment to speak about that, no? My feeling can change, but we have to discuss between us, not in the press.

US Open Official Website (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2009-08-31/200908311251728457750.html)

MariaV
08-31-2009, 05:54 PM

He has people working fror him whose job it is to bring this kinda stuff to the knowledge of his fans and general public. :shrug: :o :o rafaelnadal.com :o ;)

Metis
08-31-2009, 06:03 PM
Richard :hug:

Update!

1st -
2nd -
3rd -
4th - Getta, Metis
QF - Bibberz, Evita, Lena71, nashty, SnooFoo, Xristos
F - tennizen, Thanos
W - Foxy, greenhotchilipep, Laba, LinkMage, Ria, shawshank, Topspin Forehand, wilmar

Metis
08-31-2009, 06:13 PM
here's a bigger version of the pic i found on FB

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs160.snc1/5975_125218871025_64822581025_2490158_1144349_n.jp g

:spit: Is he really going to watch it twice? :lol:

^ Rafa's Aussie 2010 outfit would fit in there nicely.

:rolls:

At least there was no report of him standing, waving his arms over his head, and singing.

:lol:

Rafito is not afraid to wear pink and go to musicals, he is secure in his masculinity. :shrug: More power to him. :sport:

:unsure: :lol:

Heners
09-01-2009, 08:54 AM
he'll make a good win over him :)

MariaV
09-01-2009, 10:29 AM
:spit: Is he really going to watch it twice? :lol:

He missed the whole first act the first time as I understood. ;)

Castafiore
09-01-2009, 10:47 AM
New series of Q&As is up (The Times):
Questions for Rafa: I want to win every tournament I play in (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/09/questions-for-rafa-i-want-to-win-every-tournament-i-play-in-.html)

If your ipod broke down and all but three songs were erased, which songs would you hope were left? Carin, Brighton
RN: Back to you - Bryan Adams; Bon Jovi - In these arms; Julio Iglesias - Vuela amigo,vuela alto
:help:

shawshank
09-01-2009, 04:07 PM
I think that Rafa has a great chance to reach semis. From then on I have no idea what can happen. He is capable of beating Murray and Federer, but it will be tough. Rafa improves every year on AO and US. Last year it was a semifinal. After semifinal in AO he won it. Maybe it's crazy but I will go with a win...
Good luck my champion!

Foxy
09-01-2009, 08:34 PM
I think that Rafa has a great chance to reach semis. From then on I have no idea what can happen. He is capable of beating Murray and Federer, but it will be tough. Rafa improves every year on AO and US. Last year it was a semifinal. After semifinal in AO he won it. Maybe it's crazy but I will go with a win...
Good luck my champion!

It is not quite likely but certainly not crazy. He has a decent chance of winning if fit.
Do you guys notice what I've been saying all the time. The ball bounces higher here than AO. It was so low in Australia. I rewatched some matches and I am absolutely sure about it. Don't know why everybody think it is the opposite.

Laba
09-02-2009, 06:02 AM
I'm not confident at all about this pick but put me down for Win, why the hell not... lol

Xristos
09-02-2009, 06:45 AM
I like that attitude lol.

Castafiore
09-02-2009, 07:10 AM
OOP: (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/index.html?promo=topnav)

Arthur Ashe Stadium - Not before 11 a.m.

Women's Singles - 2nd Round
Amelie Mauresmo(FRA)[17] vs. Aleksandra Wozniak(CAN)
Not Before:13:00

Bethanie Mattek-Sands(USA) vs. Venus Williams(USA)[3]
Men's Singles - 1st Round
Richard Gasquet(FRA) vs. Rafael Nadal(ESP)[3]

-Evita-
09-02-2009, 08:56 AM
I pick QF for MIT.

acionescu
09-02-2009, 02:02 PM
New series of Q&As is up (The Times):
Questions for Rafa: I want to win every tournament I play in (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/09/questions-for-rafa-i-want-to-win-every-tournament-i-play-in-.html)

:help:

I saw it :sobbing: :tape:

OOP: (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/index.html?promo=topnav)

Arthur Ashe Stadium - Not before 11 a.m.

Amelie Mauresmo(FRA)[17] vs. Aleksandra Wozniak(CAN)
Not Before:13:00

Bethanie Mattek-Sands(USA) vs. Venus Williams(USA)[3]
Men's Singles - 1st Round
Richard Gasquet(FRA) vs. Rafael Nadal(ESP)[3]

Venus, no brainfarts this time :armed:

Ria
09-02-2009, 02:31 PM
MIT: Winner :bounce:

star
09-02-2009, 03:17 PM
eek. What to do?

MIT: QF.

Metis
09-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Nadal-Gasquet 6-2 6-2 6-3 :)

1st -
2nd -
3rd -
4th - Getta, Metis
QF - Bibberz, Evita, Lena71, nashty, SnooFoo, star, Xristos
F - tennizen, Thanos
W - Foxy, greenhotchilipep, Laba, LinkMage, Ria, shawshank, Topspin Forehand, wilmar

Mixo
09-02-2009, 10:43 PM
I pick F, Metis. Is it too late?

Castafiore
09-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Rafael Nadal def. Richard Gasquet: 6-2, 6-2, 6-3:

Match statistics:
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8963/gasquetvsnadalstats.png (http://img4.imageshack.us/i/gasquetvsnadalstats.png/)

Match report, incl. video: follow the link on www.usopen.org (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/match_reports/2009-09-02/200909021251931730171.html)

For some reason, I can't find Rafa's presser on the US Open website. :scratch:
Here's a link to a transcript of Gasquet's presser then: Richard Gasquet's press conference (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2009-09-02/200909021251928883218.html)

On court interview (ESPN):
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AiQrKFuxj8g&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AiQrKFuxj8g&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
(uploaded by JordyTennisFan)

Post-match interview from Sky Sports:
link to interview (http://www.skysports.com/video/clips/0,,12611,00.html)

Short clip from his press conference from Foxnews
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kgpNjpsJj4U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kgpNjpsJj4U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
(uploaded by Patxy270180)

Blogs

The Times:
blog before the R1 match: "Ready to meet my friend Richard on court (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/09/ready-to-meet-my-friend-richard-on-court.html)
Questions for Rafa: "My personality changes when I step on court (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/09/questions-for-rafa-my-personality-changes-when-i-step-on-court.html)

El Mundo
El consultorio de Nadal: "Lo primero es Gasquet" (http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/especiales/2009/08/usopen/consultorio/index.html)

MariaV
09-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Kiefer :scared: :unsure:

Let's hope Rafa will manage a bit easier than Roger against Kiwi's countryman Greul. :lol:

Castafiore
09-03-2009, 08:50 AM
I like watching Kiefer so it should be a fun match for me.

new series of Q&As from his blog for The Times:
Why I hope Andy Murray doesn't win the US Open (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/)

A selection (there's more in the link):
What is the weirdest thing you have signed for a fan and what are you willing to sign? Denisse
RN: I can't really remember. But I have seen a few.
ah, come on, Rafa...Please, do tell.

If you were ever to play mixed doubles which of the ladies would you choose as a partner? Val
RN: I don't play doubles at the Slams so I won't answer this one... and I know what you wanted to hear :-)
Damn, bait not taken.

I heard that you may possibly be returning to your signature 'sleeveless' kit sometime next year? Can you please confirm that this is true? Trish
RN: I had a good time in Montreal playing the first round with it. Felt great. We leave this open. maybe yes, maybe no...
He isn't saying a clear NO, though. :)

+ the blog entry for today:
It felt great to win and put some difficult months behind me (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/09/it-felt-great-to-win-and-put-some-difficult-months-behind-me.html)
Tomorrow I will practice in the morning at 11.30 am and that will allow me to have the whole afternoon free. I might do some shopping here in the city or I might go again to the Mamma Mia musical. I'll see after the practice and decide.
:D He sure loves his musicals.

MariaV
09-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Nothing wrong with loving musicals. :shrug: ;) :D

Thanks, Hilde! :kiss:

Castafiore
09-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Nothing wrong with loving musicals. :shrug: ;) :D
I like musicals as well...in moderation. Whenever I go to London, I try to get tickets for a good musical each time.

acionescu
09-03-2009, 09:08 AM
I hate musicals :o

Getta
09-03-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm sort of indifferent to musicals.

tennizen
09-03-2009, 01:05 PM
From Fed's presser reg. Rafa

Q. Did you get a chance to watch Rafa at all today? What's it like having him back in the draw of a major?
ROGER FEDERER: Fantastic having him back. I was also glad to see he was able to play some tournaments before so he got an idea of where he was. I think that's key for him at this stage of his career.
He seems like he's doing physically well. I didn't see to be honest, I saw maybe like four points. But it seems like he was playing well. He won very, you know, easily, and that's great.
Also it's good to see Richard Gasquet back on tour, I have to say. Yeah, I mean, it can only help the tour if guys like these are around, you know, the big tournaments.

Q. Whether it's here or somewhere else, do you expect to play him again hopefully in a final?
ROGER FEDERER: Uhm, I don't think our minds are there, you know, to be quite honest. I think he's got his hands full of making sure that he gets through his part of the draw, and I have the same thing.
We know that here at the US Open you don't get any easy draws because everybody seems to always go deep, especially all the top guys. I don't know how difficult his draw is, but I think if he's physically in great shape, obviously he's got a great chance to go far because he's played so well this year and also played such a great last year's season that if he's on, he's going to be hard to stop.

MariaV
09-03-2009, 01:47 PM
I like musicals as well...in moderation. Whenever I go to London, I try to get tickets for a good musical each time.

Rafa does the same in New York. :awww: :shrug:
He hasn't watched any musicals in London, has he? :o Maybe he'll be able to do that during the WTF (:D) in November.

Metis
09-03-2009, 04:29 PM
I pick F, Metis. Is it too late?

I'm afraid it is. :hug:

I hate musicals :o

I don't like them either. The only one I loved was Chicago. It was funny, sexy, with great music and incredible singing and dancing (in the performance I saw). I liked Mamma mia too but mostly because of the Abba songs. Other than that I've seen Miss Saigon :zzz: and Spamalot (I wasn't too impressed).

So Rafa is really planning to go back to see the whole show. :lol:

Castafiore
09-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Rafa's presser:

September 2, 2009

Rafael Nadal

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK

R. NADAL/R. Gasquet
6-2, 6-2, 6-3

Q. You hit a lot of winners, very few errors, and moved very well. Is this your best feeling since coming back from the injury?
RAFAEL NADAL: I played well, no? But in Cincinnati I did well a few matches, too. Very happy, no? I practiced one week here before, and I was practicing well. I went to the match and I feeled okay.
So very happy to be in second round. Very happy to win against difficult opponent like Richard.

Q. What changes happen to your attitude when you've been hurt and you've been out of play for a while? Do you have to psych yourself up to get back to a winner mentality?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, no. Seems like I was two years outside of competition. I was two months. I was one month and a half outside the competition, no? That's all.
No, I have an injury. That's normal in sport. And then here, back here to try my best another time. So that's all.

Q. Is it in the back of your mind about the knees, or now you don't think about it at all when you're playing?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't have pain, so I don't think.

Q. You never had trouble on your serve today. Was that a product of you serving well, or do you think he struggled on the return?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I am serving well. I did well in Cincinnati, was serving really well, except last match against Djokovic. But the rest of the matches I was serving really well.
I think I'm practicing, playing with good tactic, and positive attitude. That's the important thing right now. Later try to get more rhythm and more confidence winning matches.

Q. Did you lose weight because you haven't trained for two months?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. No. The same.

Q. I have this impression you're coming back the same way you did when you missed the Davis Cup and China last year and you came back to win the Australian Open.
RAFAEL NADAL: I would love be in same comeback. Right now I am in second round. We will see (smiling).
Sure, I am here to try my best. Repeat the same like Australia is very, very difficult. I am not thinking about that. Right now just thinking about next opponent, thinking about play well, no?
I know I am in the right way, so I think if I have the chance to win few more matches and I get the confidence, we will see what happen later.

Q. Do you feel at this point in your career you need a lot of matches to play well, or are you experienced enough now to have fewer matches and then find the confidence, your top level?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, you know, I always played well when I have few tournaments in a row, no? In the past, the experience says me that, no? This year not. This year I started very well in Australia. But the past years I started playing very well in Indian Wells, Miami, and later the clay season, no?
So normal when you get more experience, more years on tour. Well, with less you can play easier, no? But always is much better if you are in competition, because you see the routines, how you win the points. You have automatic things. So you need this automatic things to play really well, no?
So I am feeling well right now after two tournaments. We will see what happen, no? My feeling was -- I feeling much better than what I expect in Cincinnati. I expected have very tough comeback, but I did quarterfinal and semifinals.
So that's very good results. Right now I am in second round here. So just very happy for everything.

Q. It's been suggested you never have done well in this tournament or won because you were tired at the end of the year. Do you think that's valid? If it is, the fact you missed some time, could that help you this time?
RAFAEL NADAL: I am more fresh, yeah, (smiling) fresher than never in this tournament. I don't know if this kind of fresh is good.
But I am fresh, so no excuses in the past. No excuses about being very tired. Only last year a little bit because I arrived totally destroyed in semifinals.
But for the rest of the years, I didn't play well because I didn't play well. So that's the reason.
But the true, every year I play a little bit better, no? I did semifinal last year. I didn't win, but semifinals always is a positive result, and here to try to improve.

Q. The injury you had to your knees, do you think it's specific to you or your style of play, or is it something that you can see with other players because of surface or the schedule or some other factor?
RAFAEL NADAL: I am watching lot of players with the bandage on the knees. Not only me. So maybe somebody have to think about that, for what reason we have lot of injuries in the knees, and nobody to say why.

Q. Next round you're playing against Nicolas Kiefer.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, he's very, very good player. Player with unbelievable experience. Yes, I have to continuing play well if I want to have chances to win, no? So the important thing is play well, no? Always he is dangerous player because he is aggressive player. So I have to play well if I want to have chances to be in the third round.

Q. A few weeks ago you were saying it was impossible to think about winning the Open here. Can you now think about winning?
RAFAEL NADAL: I said was impossible in that moment think about win the US Open. So right now is impossible think about win the US Open because I have second-round match in one day and a half. So how I can think about win the tournament when I am only win one match, no?
Is the same, no? You can think about win the tournament when you are in the final. But before...

Q. You have such an adoring fan base, young, old, a lot of people wearing your T-shirts. Did you miss them when you were away? How would you describe these fans who are always so excited to see you?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, you know, when I was at home, I had few weeks outside of the world. The first one week and a half, first two weeks - I was in Mallorca for one month and a half - but the first two weeks I was loose at home and having a lot of time of recover, doing nothing.
But after that, I just can say thank you very much all the friends, all the family, all the people who interest on me with the website, with the message, the mobile phone. You know, when you have a hard time at home, receive all this support, always makes you feel much better, no?
So was very positive thing for me. But I miss the competition, yes. I was for the last five years playing every week at my hundred percent. I had one month and a half doing the summer in Mallorca, so was a bad moment for holidays, but best moment for have holidays in Mallorca. So I enjoyed the summer in Mallorca.

Q. How many days did it take you when you were in Mallorca to actually start enjoying it after the Wimbledon pullout? Were there days when you were thinking that you really wanted to defend the title?
RAFAEL NADAL: You know, was a lot of things, no? My feeling was I arrive with bad conditions in two of the more important tournaments of the season, so that's makes you feel bad.
You have to be at home recovering, so I needed two weeks, no? Two weeks. Two weeks later, you know, slowly you try to get the illusion every day, no?
The true, I am very happy to be here another time, and I am enjoying much more right now practicing with better attitude than when I was playing in clay season with pain in the knees every day.
So finally when you are practicing every day, and we are doing more sacrifice than usual, is very difficult to enjoy the sport and be very happy to play. Is hard to go practice every day and have pain.
Right now anyway, in Cincinnati, I was very happy to playing that match. Today I went on court. Normally you are a little bit pressure to play the first round, and against big opponent like Gasquet. I went on court without pressure, no, just thinking I feel very lucky guy to be here playing and enjoying this sport.
Is a hobby for me play tennis. Is my work, too. Is a very positive thing.

Q. Any reason why you cut your hair shorter?
RAFAEL NADAL: You don't like (smiling)?

Q. Just wondering if there's a reason why.
RAFAEL NADAL: That makes me feel younger, no (laughter)?

End of FastScripts

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=58906

Castafiore
09-04-2009, 07:58 AM
OOP - Friday, 4 September

Arthur Ashe Stadium - 11 a.m. start

Women's Singles - 3rd Round
Vania King(USA) vs. Daniela Hantuchova(SVK)[22]
Not Before:13:00 - Women's Singles - 3rd Round :
Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez(ESP) vs. Serena Williams(USA)[2]
Men's Singles - 2nd Round
Paul Capdeville(CHI) vs. Andy Murray(GBR)[2]

Arthur Ashe Stadium - 19:00 Start

Women's Singles - 3rd Round
Magdalena Rybarikova(SVK) vs. Venus Williams(USA)[3]
Men's Singles - 2nd Round
Nicolas Kiefer(GER) vs. Rafael Nadal(ESP)[3]

OOP (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/index.html?promo=topnav)

Hannah4eva
09-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Awww I really hope Rafa wins the US Open it would just be the best moment ever, so all my wishes go towards that :smooch: And his new hair cut makes him look so much younger, I mean I was watching this us open preview before the tournament started and there was rafa and serena and honestly i thought compared to serena rafa looks like a kid lol (no offense to serena because I really like her :hug:)

MariaV
09-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Hello Hannah! :wavey:

Oh dear, Rafa beat Kiefer 6-0 3-6 6-3 6-4 but that was not good for my health. I always say that bagels are not good. :( :o
And no Rafa presser up yet. :(

Let's hope Almagro will bend over more nicely.

Castafiore
09-05-2009, 11:03 AM
R2: Rafael Nadal def. Nicolas Kiefer

Match statistics:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3663/nadalvskieferstats.jpg (http://img140.imageshack.us/i/nadalvskieferstats.jpg/)

Match report: Rafa passes test versus Kiefer (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/match_reports/2009-09-04/200909041252039121671.html)

Part of the press conference: presser (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/interactive/video/index.html?promo=topnav&category=press#content)

Short match report:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V30Mwxs82jo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V30Mwxs82jo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
(with thanks to rafeldilealsol for uploading it)

Blogs

The Times:
New blog entry: Shopping on Fifth Avenue and working hard on my forehand (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/09/shopping-on-fifth-avenue-and-working-hard-on-my-forehand.html)
Q&A: I could never work in an office and has Roger copied my haircut? (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/09/i-could-never-have-worked-in-an-office-and-more-questions-about-my-hair.html)

El Mundo
Q&A: 'Hay que respetar más a las figuras' (http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/especiales/2009/08/usopen/consultorio/index.html)

elessar
09-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Do you smoke and have you ever been drunk? Axèle
RN: never smoke, I really hate it, and I have not been really drunk.
23 year old and never been drunk, somebody needs to teach him the finer points of life :awww:
I read an article that said that your haircut looks like Roger Federer's now. Were you aware of that? Sneha, Canada
RN: No, not really. Does it?
Smooth, Rafa, very smooth.

Hannah4eva
09-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Hello Hannah! :wavey:

Oh dear, Rafa beat Kiefer 6-0 3-6 6-3 6-4 but that was not good for my health. I always say that bagels are not good. :( :o
And no Rafa presser up yet. :(

Let's hope Almagro will bend over more nicely.

Hi MariaV :wavey: I guess I just hope Rafa wins the us open coz hes had such a hard road these past months with losing everything that mattered like wimbledon and roland garros so this would be just awesome, and not just that he was totally supportive to Richie so after beating him in the first round he should definitely go on and win the open :)

I was laughing wen murray won in four sets and then I saw rafa won in four sets too, I was expecting an easy win not four sets :eek:

l_mac
09-05-2009, 04:16 PM
23 year old and never been drunk, somebody needs to teach him the finer points of life :awww:

He said he'd never been really drunk.

Metis
09-05-2009, 04:25 PM
So he wasn't really drunk when he was on that bar dancing and fondling his nipples. :tape:

:lol:

elessar
09-05-2009, 04:35 PM
I wouldn't need to be drunk to dance on a bar and fondle his nipples :shrug:

Metis
09-05-2009, 04:46 PM
That applies to a huge number of people Claire. :lol:

MariaV
09-05-2009, 07:15 PM

I have never been drunk in my life, really or not really. :shrug: :D

MariaV
09-05-2009, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't need to be drunk to dance on a bar and fondle his nipples :shrug:

I thought you were rather more for Fed's hairy belly than Rafa's nipples but guess you're a closeted Rafafangirl after all. :D :wavey:

star
09-05-2009, 07:18 PM

I've been drunk. Don't care to be again. It's not a nice feeling.

elessar
09-05-2009, 09:45 PM
:eek:
I thought you were rather more for Fed's hairy belly than Rafa's nipples but guess you're a closeted Rafafangirl after all. :D :wavey:
I've been out of the closet for a while now :hearts:

tennizen
09-05-2009, 09:48 PM

Another similarity between us Maria:eek:

Castafiore
09-06-2009, 09:16 AM
OOP: Sunday, 6 September

Arthur Ashe Stadium - 11 a.m. start

Women's Singles - 4th Round
Daniela Hantuchova(SVK)[22] vs. Serena Williams(USA)[2]

Not Before:12:30 - Men's Singles - 3rd Round
Nicolas Almagro(ESP)[32] vs. Rafael Nadal(ESP)[3]

link to OOP (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/index.html?promo=topnav)

Castafiore
09-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Transcript of Rafa's press conference after the Kiefer match:
transcript + video of Rafa's presser (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2009-09-05/200909051252165976546.html)

U.S. OPEN

September 4, 2009

Rafael Nadal

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK

R. NADAL/N. Kiefer
6-0, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4

Q. Three hours is a long match. Is it nice to get a rigorous test under your belt?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, sure. Was a very good practice for me, no? Sure, play in three hours is a very good test. At the same time is important. First day I didn't have any bad moment, you know, any pressure moment.
Today I had to do more. Yeah, I was good, sure, in the third and fourth set because after losing the second I think I didn't have a breakpoint against in the third and the fourth, so that's very important.
I started the match playing very well. I practiced very well before the match. When you win the first set very easy and the other have more mistakes than usual, later you have break in the second and, yeah, he start to play a little bit better and you are a little bit out of rhythm.
That's what happened. The bad thing was the second break in the second set. Later I had chance to come back, but I didn't convert and he played well.

Q. How does your body feel?
RAFAEL NADAL: I am very good. Thank you.

Q. Did you know this is the first time ever that all 16 top seeds on the men have made the third round of a Grand Slam. What do you think that says about the depth of the men's field right now?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, happened something similar in Montréal. Top eight in quarterfinals. I don't know. Top seeds are doing well.

Q. It means there's so many good players at the top, very competitive.
RAFAEL NADAL: Very good players right now in the top. The best players are winning and they are regular and normal, they don't have strange loses. I think that's good for tennis.

Q. Are you happy with the way you played tonight?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I'm happy, sure. I say, no, I started the match playing really well. Anyway, he had mistakes. Later, the second set was a little bit more surprise because I was winning 6 0, 2 1 with break. I had really bad game in 2 1. But that's can happen.
Yeah, he started to play well. That's true, no? He started to play really well. I played another bad game with my serve, and he has the break up in the second. Later I tried, but, no, no, I can't had the break back.
Anyway, in the third and the fourth, I have a good answer and I win 6 3, 6 4 with two breaks. I feel comfortable with myself all the time, so... It was very important.

Q. Next is Almagro.
RAFAEL NADAL: He is very aggressive player, no? Always really tough to play against him. He has very good serve, too. I want try to move him, no? When he play still (sic), is very difficult to stop him because he play big shots and very aggressive shots. But when he moves, normally he have more mistakes. Everyone the same, no? But especially I think Nicolas, if he is still, is very difficult to stop him.
So I'm going to try to play aggressive. I have to play more aggressive than today, especially in the return. I gonna do, sure.

Q. He's never taken a set from you before. If so, does that give you confidence?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think I only played against him on clay. I think he had a set point in Barcelona semifinals. If didn't give me a set four matches... Doesn't matter the matches before. But we will see. That's important thing. If I play well, I gonna have my chances. If not, gonna be very difficult.

Q. Kiefer serving at 4 3 in the third set was a long game. Did that feel like an important part of the match to you?
RAFAEL NADAL: Sure is important, no? I had the third set there. I had the break in the end. I played a few good points. He played well, too, because he did good points. But in the end, I had a few good returns and I had a good cross backhand in the breakpoint, good shot with my forehand, and was the set that break, no? I know if I have the break with 5 3, I was feeling good with my serve, no?
Sure, having the third set was not the match, but almost.

Q. Do you like playing late at night, after midnight?
RAFAEL NADAL: What do you want to listen (smiling)?

Q. You don't like it so much so late?
RAFAEL NADAL: It's too late. Right now, what time is it?

Q. 1:15.
RAFAEL NADAL: 1:15. I have to dinner. Before 3:30 is impossible be sleeping. Anyway, I think is a little bit late. That's my opinion, no? I would love to play at 7.

Q. Kiefer said he sensed some nerves from you. Is that fair to say?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I don't know, no? I had the break in the 4 3 in the right game in the third set. Yeah, would love to have the break in the first game of the third. I had my chance, but I didn't.
Nerves? Sure, when you are one set all, you need the break for win the match, for win the set. Normal nerves. But nothing really more than usual.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

Blogs:

The Times:
New blog entry: Late night victories play havoc with my bedtime (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/09/late-night-victories-play-havoc-with-my-bedtime-.html)
Q&A: the Lion King is up there with Mama Mia as my favourite (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/09/rafa-replies-the-lion-king-is-up-there-with-mama-mia-as-my-favourite.html#more)

El Mundo
Q&A: 'Si fuera positivo, ya habría cambiado de entrenador' (http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/especiales/2009/08/usopen/consultorio/index.html)

Castafiore
09-06-2009, 10:40 AM
From the blog for The Times:
One of them was a famous actor in Spain that did a few very funny movies. He was there with other two people I didn't know who they were. I stopped and chatted for a little while.

Here's a video about that:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a5LVFQcvQaM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a5LVFQcvQaM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
(with thanks to vamosrafelnadal for uploading this one and also a huge thank you to vb for explaining what is being said)

Apparently, Rafa met Santiago Segura (Spanish actor/director) and Torrente (a stage name for a character created by Segura).

So, Santiago explains to Rafa when going on a picture with him that the other guy is a porn actor.
Rafa's reply: "congratulations" :lol:

acionescu
09-06-2009, 11:27 AM
I've been drunk. Don't care to be again. It's not a nice feeling.

I've been too. Too many times :o Now I'm on the other extreme. I miss those times :awww:

Metis
09-06-2009, 02:59 PM
I've been drunk only twice but not totally wasted; I still remember every detail of what happened :o. Let's just say I wouldn't have behaved the same way if I had been sober. :p

Metis
09-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Rafa's memory is impressive. He remembers Almagro had a setpoint in Barcelona 2006. :worship:

From the blog for The Times:
One of them was a famous actor in Spain that did a few very funny movies. He was there with other two people I didn't know who they were. I stopped and chatted for a little while.

Here's a video about that:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a5LVFQcvQaM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a5LVFQcvQaM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
(with thanks to vamosrafelnadal for uploading this one and also a huge thank you to vb for explaining what is being said)

Apparently, Rafa met Santiago Segura (Spanish actor/director) and Torrente (a stage name for a character created by Segura).

So, Santiago explains to Rafa when going on a picture with him that the other guy is a porn actor.
Rafa's reply: "congratulations" :lol:

:rolls:

Castafiore
09-07-2009, 06:45 AM
R3: Rafael Nadal def. Nicolas Almagro

Match statistics
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/3383/nadalvsalmagrostats.png (http://img512.imageshack.us/i/nadalvsalmagrostats.png/)

Post-match press conference: video + transcript (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2009-09-06/200909061252279871750.html)

On court interview after the match:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nws4gp668s0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nws4gp668s0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
(with thanks to luneworld for uploading it)

JolánGagó
09-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Rafa's sucking big time, I think he should temporarily retire like Ivanovic and Clijsters.

Castafiore
09-07-2009, 11:46 AM
New blog update for The Times is published here (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/09/injury-will-not-make-me-quit-i-am-going-to-give-everything-on-tuesday.html) as well as a new selection of Q&A's here (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/09/rafa-replies-my-autobiography-is-on-the-way-and-why-i-love-fishing.html)

A new batch of Q&A's for El Mundo can be found by following this link (http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/especiales/2009/08/usopen/consultorio/dia_4.html)

Minn
09-07-2009, 12:15 PM
The "congratulations" video from Hilde - :lol:

Rafa's sucking big time, I think he should temporarily retire like Ivanovic and Clijsters. You're back!

MariaV
09-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Rafa's sucking big time, I think he should temporarily retire like Ivanovic and Clijsters.

Nice to see you back too. :rolleyes: :p

Getta
09-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Many opinions voiced at our user group meeting... not bad!

Looks like you were missed, Jolan.

Hope my observation won't be taken as a criticism. :)

Metis
09-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Getta I think we're going to win this time. 2000 points! :eek: Power to the Greeks! :rocker2:

JolánGagó
09-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Minn, Maria, Getta :wavey:

I've missed MIT for so many tourneys :sad:

I think Rafa will be blown off court by Monfils :sob:

MariaV
09-07-2009, 05:23 PM
I think Rafa will be blown off court by Monfils :sob:

I'm afraid you're right here. :sad: :sad:
What on Earth made me pick SF. :haha: :haha:

MariaV
09-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Arthur Ashe Stadium

19:00 Start
Women's Singles - Quarterfinals
Flavia Pennetta(ITA)[10] vs. Serena Williams(USA)[2]

Men's Singles - 4th Round
Gael Monfils(FRA)[13] vs. Rafael Nadal(ESP)[3]

Night session for Rafa and an all-nighter for me. :(

acionescu
09-08-2009, 07:48 AM
:scared: :unsure: :bigcry:

Sleep :bigwave:

star
09-08-2009, 12:46 PM

:lol: I was thinking the same thing about my picking QF :lol:

tennizen
09-08-2009, 02:13 PM

:lol: I was thinking the same thing about my picking QF :lol:

And I am thinking, what prevented me from picking Win instead of the final:sobbing:

Metis
09-09-2009, 03:57 AM
Nadal-Monfils 6-7 6-3 6-1 6-3 :dance:

1st - [/s]
[s]2nd -
3rd -
4th - Getta, Metis
F - tennizen, Thanos

Getta, Metis: I thought we were going to win :sad:; at least we're going home in a fancy ride :D

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/fail-owned-bmw-fail.jpg?w=434&h=518

Castafiore
09-09-2009, 07:10 AM
R4: Rafael Nadal def. Gaël Monfils

Match statistics
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/7916/nadalvsmonfilsstats.png (http://img188.imageshack.us/i/nadalvsmonfilsstats.png/)

Post-match press conference: Transcript of Rafa's presser (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2009-09-08/200909081252386084156.html) + a link to a video from the presser here (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/interactive/video/index.html?promo=topnav#content)

Match highlights, fan hugs Rafa on court, interview
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y8-i9V1VVNg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y8-i9V1VVNg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
(with thanks to meriko from VB for uploading this video)

fan hug + interview
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mIzSWhJjz2k&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mIzSWhJjz2k&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
(with thanks to luneworld for this one)

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/09/08/sports/09straightsets_nadal.jpg
(Picture by Charles Krupa/Associated Press)

From the presser:
Q. What did you think when the man came out of the stands and came up to you?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, for me it wasn't the problem. The guy was really nice

Q. Did he say anything?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yes. He was a great fan. He said, I love you, and he kiss me. (laughter.)

Q. Was he speaking Spanish?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, in English, but I understand that. (laughter.)
:D what a weird episode.

Blogs

The Times: his blog entry before the Monfils match can be found here (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/09/i-dont-like-playing-late-at-night-we-asked-to-move-monfils-match.html) and the Q&A from that day is there (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/09/rafa-replies-my-olympic-gold-medal-is-very-precious-to-me.html)

El Mundo: new batch of Q&A under this link (http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/especiales/2009/08/usopen/consultorio/dia_5.html)

Castafiore
09-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Blog updates!

The Times:
Goodnight and, er, good morning (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/09/goodnight-and-er-good-morning.html)
Rafa repllies: Will I start in a movie with Will Smith? (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/09/rafa-replies.html)

What's the most lavish thing you have bought since becoming a pro? Zeeshan Yousuf

RN: I don't know what lavish means...
:lol: + a nice way to dodge the question as well.

JolánGagó
09-09-2009, 01:44 PM
thanks for all the info, Castafiore.

im so sick of this country, i can't even access youtube :mad:

Metis
09-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Great job Hilde! :yeah:

I missed the incident with that guy last night. :lol: The hilarious part is that Rafa didn't really mind at all and wanted to hug him back. :rolls:

star
09-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Great job Hilde! :yeah:

I missed the incident with that guy last night. :lol: The hilarious part is that Rafa didn't really mind at all and wanted to hug him back. :rolls:

It was sweet the way it turned out, and the guy was probably drunk, but security? I can't think about things the same way after Seles's attack.

Metis
09-09-2009, 02:45 PM
It was sweet the way it turned out, and the guy was probably drunk, but security? I can't think about things the same way after Seles's attack.

Not very reassuring that he managed to get to a player. :unsure: But Rafa handled it well and it ended up being funny. I want to see video of the press conference when Rafa answered those questions. :lol:

star
09-09-2009, 02:55 PM
We can just be glad it wasn't some Muzzatard wanting to get the #2 ranking back. :lol:

josie
09-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Not very reassuring that he managed to get to a player. :unsure: But Rafa handled it well and it ended up being funny. I want to see video of the press conference when Rafa answered those questions. :lol:

;)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RogeQzVxf0s&hl=de&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RogeQzVxf0s&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

and here on the us open site you can also find a video of the press conference
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/interactive/video/index.html?promo=topnav&category=press

Minn
09-09-2009, 07:59 PM
From the presser:

:D what a weird episode.
:speakles: I went to sleep just before the match ended and haven't been on the computer or near any news source until now. Thanks for the youtube clips. Like Star said, it could have been so dangerous; I'm glad he laughed it off. (He understands "I love you." I bet he's heard it in just about every language. :lol:)

Castafiore
09-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Hey minn. :wavey:

NYC man to be charged for Nadal on-court kiss

NEW YORK (AP)—A New York City man arrested for running onto the court at the U.S. Open to kiss Rafael Nadal will be charged with trespassing and faces possible jail time if convicted, prosecutors said Wednesday.

Noam U. Aorta dashed out of the stands at Arthur Ashe Stadium in Queens just after midnight Wednesday after Nadal advanced to the quarterfinals by beating Gael Monfils, prosecutors said. Aorta ran onto the court, then hugged and kissed the Spanish star as he was changing shirts on the sideline before security guards took him into custody, they said.

“For me, it wasn’t a problem. The guy was really nice,” Nadal said. “He said, ‘I love you,’ and he kissed me.”

District Attorney Richard Brown, however, called it “particularly disturbing” because Aorta made physical contact with Nadal. Brown noted that Monica Seles was stabbed in the back in 1993 by a spectator on a tennis court in Hamburg, Germany.

Aorta, 23, of Queens, will be charged with third-degree criminal trespass and interfering with a professional sporting event, prosecutors said. If convicted, he faces a maximum one year in jail and $5,000 in fines.

Attorney information for Aorta wasn’t immediately available.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news?slug=ap-usopen-intruder&prov=ap&type=lgns
If convicted, he faces a maximum one year in jail and $5,000 in fines. :speakles:
A bit harsh given the fact that the man had no evil plans. I doubt that he will be this severely punished but still...

On the other hand, I do understand why they want to be tough, though. Nobody wants another Seles incident and for that it's good to discourage fans from charging on court.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/61pKJ8zLrlc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/61pKJ8zLrlc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
(with thanks to drewcantu)

JolánGagó
09-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Token of the sick state of modern society. As if the vision of those bouncers dragging the guy out weren't ugly enough, now they talk of "incarcerating" ffs the man just wanted to hug his player. WTF is this, Blade Runner?... on other hand, the sad reality is that kind of things cannot be allowed given the past experiences... very sad.

Castafiore
09-09-2009, 08:46 PM
As if the vision of those bouncers dragging the guy out weren't ugly enough.
Brad Gilbert saying that this wasn't enough but they should have thrown the guy face down on the floor. :rolleyes:
A bit much, Brad.

elessar
09-09-2009, 08:50 PM
There's no need to smash his face into the ground but I find those kind of attention seeking pathetic.
I'd rather they made sure it doesn't happen instead of pretending they're gonna put anyone in jail for a year because of it.

tangerine_dream
09-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I just love this video. :lol:

xUZvebhHrFw

shawshank
09-10-2009, 01:30 AM
A lot of rain forecasted for Thursday and Friday. There is almost no chance of play :( This might be terrible for Rafa...

Castafiore
09-10-2009, 06:59 AM
OOP (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/index.html?promo=topnav)

Arthur Ashe Stadium - 11:00 Start

Women's Doubles - Semifinals
Serena Williams(USA)[4] / Venus Williams(USA)[4] vs. Alisa Kleybanova(RUS)[13] / Ekaterina Makarova(RUS)[13]
Mixed Doubles - Finals
Carly Gullickson(USA)/Travis Parrott(USA) vs. Cara Black(ZIM)[2]/Leander Paes(IND)[2]
Men's Singles - Quarterfinals
Juan Martin Del Potro(ARG)[6] vs. Marin Cilic(CRO)[16]

Arthur Ashe Stadium - 19:00 Start

Fernando Gonzalez(CHI)[11] vs. Rafael Nadal(ESP)[3]

Foxy
09-10-2009, 07:16 AM
A lot of rain forecasted for Thursday and Friday. There is almost no chance of play :( This might be terrible for Rafa...

That's what I've been thinking too. Another bonus for the MONO. I can't stand these things happening again and again. I am really sick. Having said that they still could compensate the schedule if they want to. If no play is due for today and tomorrow they could extend the tournament to Monday or Tuesday if necessary. I think it is fair.

Turquoise
09-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Good luck Nadal against Gonzalez. It's going to be a real test of his current form. As expected, rain is threatening to mess up his schedule again this year :mad:

To be honest, I have been quietly watching Nadal, without much expectation of his chances at this year's US Open. I should know better. His body let him down, but his mental fortitude has not changed. So far, on his return from injury, he's done a great job shaking off the rust and progressively returning to form. Go Nadal!

Castafiore
09-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Blogs:

The Times:
blog entry after the Monfils match (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/09/that-fan-was-funny-although-i-didnt-like-his-kiss.html) and a new batch of Q&As (http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2009/09/rafa-replies-i-wasnt-a-big-fan-of-michael-jackson.html)

shawshank
09-10-2009, 10:27 AM
I can't understand why they don't change the schedule, so that Rafa could play earlier. There is absolotely no chance to playe at 7 P.M due to rain. If they know it they should put Rafa's match at 11 A.M. on Ashe and Delpo's match at 11 A.M. on Armstrong. They should do everything to equal players chances. And why is it Rafa again that unlucky? Most probabbly Rafa will play his match with Gonzalez on Saturday.... What then? Even if they make monday final again, it means 3 matches in 3 day for somebody... And Roger ofcourse is resting before semis already :( I hate this.

Foxy
09-10-2009, 10:58 AM
I can't understand why they don't change the schedule, so that Rafa could play earlier. There is absolotely no chance to playe at 7 P.M due to rain. If they know it they should put Rafa's match at 11 A.M. on Ashe and Delpo's match at 11 A.M. on Armstrong. They should do everything to equal players chances. And why is it Rafa again that unlucky? Most probabbly Rafa will play his match with Gonzalez on Saturday.... What then? Even if they make monday final again, it means 3 matches in 3 day for somebody... And Roger ofcourse is resting before semis already :( I hate this.

They are doing this because they want the MONO Cry Baby win for the record 6th consecutive time. They care only about ratings. Wimbledon were doing this too in 2007. It's just so unfair. And this player is considered as GOAT? My arse!

MariaV
09-10-2009, 11:09 AM
It's outright disgusting but that's life. :(
They could give the cup to Fed already. :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Edit after reading the blog: Rafa is such a sweet person, he doesn't want this man to get punished. Awwwwww. :awww:

acionescu
09-10-2009, 11:39 AM
The TV networks rule. That was the reason last year, this is the reason this year. Nadal = ratings :shrug:

It sucks :(

tangerine_dream
09-10-2009, 04:10 PM
"One fan I have tonight - please leave him". Aww, Rafa thinks NY is against him too. :bigcry: That's not true, Rafa. If NYers didn't like you, you wouldn't be playing the night sessions. :awww:

Kiss me my love. :hearts:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451586c69e20120a55f6dde970b-400wi

Rafa replies: I wasn't a big fan of Michael Jackson.
Daring. :worship:

Topspin Forehand
09-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Mother Nature is a Fedtard. Scheduling crew are so stubborn as well. Nadal gets screwed once again. It already cost him Wimbledon 2007. It could do the same this year.

greenhotchilipep
09-11-2009, 04:50 AM
Not Before:14:00
This match may be moved to Armstrong Stadium.
Rafael Nadal(ESP)[3] leads Fernando Gonzalez(CHI)[11]

Hannah4eva
09-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Scheduling is such a joke :rolleyes:. If I could get my hands on these us open organisers I would :smash: I just hope he gets through this and really shows them whos the king of tennis :lol:

Foxy
09-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Today there won't be any play. And the Saturday is extremely doubtful too. Probably play resumes on Sunday. I think this could be a positive thing for Rafa. At least better than continuing today or tomorrow if you get me. What do you think?

Castafiore
09-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Mark Petchey twittered the following:
Ok here's the deal. USTA are going to go radical. They are saying they are going to start all 3 matches at once at 2pm today

Ashe will see Nadal- Gonzalez, Armstrong will see Serena-Clijsters and Grandstand will have Wozniacki-Wickmayer.
http://twitter.com/PetchTennis

(with thank to meriko for posting it on VB)

born_on_clay
09-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Vamos Rafa
1 set and a half of tiebreak to win today

rasha91
09-11-2009, 09:33 PM
Hopefully Rafa Will Begin With A Great Start As Usual And Not Give Any Canfidance 2 Gonza

usopenisthebest
09-11-2009, 09:40 PM
mah rain at least I found a working live stream in good quality and no justin crap
http://www.stream2watch.com
Nadal will win in 5 I hope... was a great match yesterday awesome tennis.. both:wavey:

rasha91
09-12-2009, 01:07 AM
we gonna waiit ' manyy hours hhhhhhhh

born_on_clay
09-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Rafa's playing first match today on Ashe starting at 12:00
Vamos !

Rafa#Uno:-)
09-12-2009, 03:28 PM
is it raining???

MariaV
09-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Thank God, Rafa finished his match easily. :D 7-6(4) 7-6(2) 6-0 vs Gonzalez. :D
Around 30 min played today, for an easy workout. Poor Gonzo seemed out of sorts, it wet all wrong from the TB already, sorry about the bagel. He even asked the trainer to take off the tapes from his feet, probably had taped the feet too tight. :o :sad: :hug:

Delpo is going to be soooooooooo tough. Those Miami and Montréal beatdowns. :sad: :sad:

Metis
09-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Nadal-Gonzalez 7-6 7-6 6-0 :D

1st - [/s]
[s]2nd -
3rd -
4th - Getta, Metis
F - tennizen, Thanos

Bibberz, Evita, Lena71, nashty, SnooFoo, star, Xristos: don't blame the rain for your FAIL

http://anomit.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/fail-bike-umbrella.jpg

star
09-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Thank you, Metis. :kiss: :kiss:

Xristos
09-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Thank God, Rafa finished his match easily. :D 7-6(4) 7-6(2) 6-0 vs Gonzalez. :D
Around 30 min played today, for an easy workout. Poor Gonzo seemed out of sorts, it wet all wrong from the TB already, sorry about the bagel. He even asked the trainer to take off the tapes from his feet, probably had taped the feet too tight. :o :sad: :hug:

Delpo is going to be soooooooooo tough. Those Miami and Montréal beatdowns. :sad: :sad:

Fear not darling as Rafa will rise above.

born_on_clay
09-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Suberb Rafa !
I love you
Good luck against del Porto

Topspin Forehand
09-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Vamos Rafa. Getting done in 30 minutes is perfect. Onto the Semis. :)

Vaccine
09-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Vamos Rafa. Getting done in 30 minutes is perfect. Onto the Semis. :)

30 min coz Gonzo took medical timeout :lol: Well done Rafa

born_on_clay
09-12-2009, 09:12 PM
30 min coz Gonzo took medical timeout :lol: Well done Rafa

This is Sparta ! :D

Castafiore
09-12-2009, 09:24 PM
QF: Rafael Nadal def. Fernando Gonzalez

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/5289/nadalvsgonzalezstats.jpg (http://img183.imageshack.us/i/nadalvsgonzalezstats.jpg/)

Video, report during the rain break
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/37ecRJr1okQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/37ecRJr1okQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
(with thanks to luneworld for uploading it)

Post-match interview, on court:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sucmlw1uWYc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sucmlw1uWYc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
(once again, thanks to luneworld)

JolánGagó
09-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the vids, Castafiore. Nice post match interview, he's in a good mood, that's important.

Castafiore
09-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Rafa's presser after the QF: transcript + video (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2009-09-12/200909121252777104000.html)

El Mundo posted quite an interesting interview: here (http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2009/09/13/tenis/1252826190.html)

JolánGagó
09-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Our Rafito is so cute :inlove:

josie
09-13-2009, 12:26 PM
can someone translate this El Mundo Interview please

Topspin Forehand
09-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Well maybe next year for Rafa. Potro was just too good today.

MariaV
09-13-2009, 08:23 PM
LMFAO!!!!!!! I won in MIT, no??!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
At least some consolation. :lol:

Laba
09-14-2009, 12:04 AM
I expected him to lose today, but in 4. Poor scoreline, kinda embarrassing but Pony was firing on all cylinders and very consistent. The first set took fifty minutes, it was a lot closer than than the score itself but Del Potro clearly pulled away in the second and them stamped his authority down in the third to finish the job. Had Rafa been able to serve better and with more pace today, I still think he'd have lost but with a more respectable scoreline along the lines 3/4/4/. It's a shame to bow out and very disappointing but I'm not upset about it, I accepted it right away and moved on immediately. It's good to see him back at #2 and he can now have a month or so off that he needs to heal his abdominals after managing to defend last year's points which was no easy task to begin with.

Turquoise
09-14-2009, 05:50 AM
Credit to Del Potro who played a smart tactical game against Nadal, exposing his forehand relentlessly. Nadal has surpassed my expectations for his comeback from injury - fantastic achievement to even make the US Open semi-finals :hatoff:

Once he fully hits his stride and rediscovers his timing, he'll be back to his lethal old self. No need to worry about this scoreline (deceptive, as Nadal uncharacteristically failed to capitalise on his opportunities) - next time these two meet, the results will be much different.

Let's get back to form for the rest of the season, Nadal, and gear up for AO 2010. All the best :hug:

Castafiore
09-14-2009, 06:58 AM
SF: Del Potro def. Rafael Nadal

Match statistics:
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/7816/captureae.jpg (http://img30.imageshack.us/i/captureae.jpg/)

Post-match press conference: Transcript + video (http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2009-09-13/200909131252880634406.html)

Video of the presser on Youtube:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iex_pUPk3Ac&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iex_pUPk3Ac&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

On-court interview with Pam Shriver: in this link (http://www.viddler.com/explore/nnews/videos/98/)

acionescu
09-14-2009, 08:27 AM
I won in MIT :rolleyes: Again :mad: I'm on the roll, Roger Federer of MIT :unsure:

Next time, I'll pick the win :rocker2:

Metis, where are our photos? :(

Metis
09-14-2009, 08:31 AM
I won in MIT :rolleyes: Again :mad: I'm on the roll, Roger Federer of MIT :unsure:

Next time, I'll pick the win :rocker2:

Metis, where are our photos? :(

coming up shortly :ras:

I hold you responsible for what happened. :mad:

acionescu
09-14-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm not responsable, JMDP's greatness is :bowdown:

Metis
09-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Nadal-Del Potro 2-6 2-6 2-6 :(

1st - [/s]
[s]2nd -
3rd -
4th - Getta, Metis
F - tennizen, Thanos

tennizen, Thanos, Foxy, greenhotchilipep, Laba, LinkMage, Ria, shawshank, Topspin Forehand, wilmar: so you thought Rafa would reach the US Open final or even win it? :lol: :cuckoo:

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/fail-owned-mirror-reflection-fail.jpg?w=500&h=248

acionescu, Invisible, kaylee, MariaV, Minn, Naina: 2000 points for you. Congrats :mad:

acionescu
09-14-2009, 09:11 AM
I can't see my prize :( I suppose is what I deserve after my latest picks :o :sobbing:

Metis
09-14-2009, 09:15 AM
I have included the photo as an attachment

Metis
09-14-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm not responsable, JMDP's greatness is :bowdown:

Don't even go there. I warned you but you didn't listen:

:bigcry: :bigcry: I feel like Pythia :unsure:
Well, make sure your next oracle is more favorable. :armed:

:rolleyes:

acionescu
09-14-2009, 10:16 AM
:bolt: :inlove: :worship:

:sobbing:

born_on_clay
09-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Del Potro was too good today and Rafa moonballed again :(

greenhotchilipep
09-15-2009, 04:19 AM
anyway Rafa get back No2

Topspin Forehand
09-16-2009, 02:37 AM
And Rafa lost to the US Open champion as well. Del Potro is just that great rather than Nadal played a horrible match. The serve and slice are 2 very important things for Nadal against Del Potro. He should work very hard on this.

Foxy
09-16-2009, 07:25 AM
Any news on Rafa? When is his next tournament?

Castafiore
09-16-2009, 07:59 AM
^ What is next tournament will be will depend on what his doctor says after doing the proper tests.

The rumour is that he needs to rest for at least a month but that hasn't been officially confirmed yet.

Mimi
09-16-2009, 08:42 AM
^ What is next tournament will be will depend on what his doctor says after doing the proper tests.

The rumour is that he needs to rest for at least a month but that hasn't been officially confirmed yet.
:banghead::tears: poor rafa, one injury after the other

born_on_clay
09-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Any news on Rafa? When is his next tournament?

Rafa is scheduled to play Bangkok, Beijing, Shanghai, Paris and WTF

Foxy
09-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Rafa is scheduled to play Bangkok, Beijing, Shanghai, Paris and WTF

I know that. Thanks.
I am asking because of his injury concerns. Thought he might have skipped some tournaments. I guess no news is good news, no?

born_on_clay
09-16-2009, 06:38 PM
I know that. Thanks.
I am asking because of his injury concerns. Thought he might have skipped some tournaments. I guess no news is good news, no?

As for today he's scheduled to play Bangkok
but
we have to wait for test's results which can cause a withdrawal from Thailand's tournament (hope not :) )

Topspin Forehand
09-17-2009, 01:35 AM
Nadal will be out most likely at least a month. Abdominal tear is what I heard from TW.