ATP New Haven 09 - 1R - F.Gil def M.Baghdatis 6-4 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

ATP New Haven 09 - 1R - F.Gil def M.Baghdatis 6-4 6-3

HattonWBA
08-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Gil has really struggled for form for a good 3 months now and so this is a very good win for him and his confidence, not really sure what to expect from Marcos though, he is posting some solid results in challenger events and yet struggling to win matches at this level despite a very reasonable opener, hope he can start winning these types of matches but who knows?. Anyway well done Fredrico.

chowdahead25
08-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Marcos needs to stay away from ATP level until start of next year. Rest the knee, play challengers, and get some confidence. You'll be back Marcos!

Certinfy
08-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Well done Gil (i guess)

08-24-2009, 10:38 PM
What's wrong with Bagdhatis? Since he's usually out of any tournament before streams/TV coverage are available, I haven't seen him in a while. I know he's injured - but is it his movement, is he out of shape, what exactly is the problem?

GlennMirnyi
08-24-2009, 10:41 PM
:lol:

Too easy for Gil.

iSzavay.
08-25-2009, 02:54 AM
OMG Marcos :bigcry: this is almost as bad as Vaidisova :tears:.

maratsmaiden
08-25-2009, 03:49 AM
What's wrong with Bagdhatis? Since he's usually out of any tournament before streams/TV coverage are available, I haven't seen him in a while. I know he's injured - but is it his movement, is he out of shape, what exactly is the problem?

I saw him play live in LA. he won in the first round, though he looked tired. In the loss to Isner, he again looked pretty out of shape. I could hear him breathing really hard from the stands... It's such a shame, because he's so likable. Even the people that work the tournament that I was talking to were telling me how sweet he was to all of them (then, when he actually went over to help Isner after he rolled his ankle, everyone just confirmed that he was the nicest guy around).

Anyway, hopefully he will continue to work on his fitness and next year make a fresh start.

njnetswill
08-25-2009, 03:55 AM
OMG Marcos :bigcry: this is almost as bad as Vaidisova :tears:.

Until Marcos loses to the ATP version of Stacey Tan he isn't anywhere near Nicole's level yet :lol:

Audacity
08-25-2009, 06:08 AM
Marcos needs to stay away from ATP level until start of next year. Rest the knee, play challengers, and get some confidence. You'll be back Marcos!

He won a challeger a few weeks ago.

Horatio Caine
08-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Found this result surprising tbh...perhaps the knee isn't 100%? Else he is struggling with form.

Not buying the 'lack of fitness' argument, above...nothing new as far as Baggy is concerned, and it isn't like he was really in the match, considering the scoreline and statistics. :shrug:

Iván
08-25-2009, 11:42 AM
I have now offically Written Him Off.

Its over for Marcos

YaleProf
08-25-2009, 12:10 PM

I saw the match, Bagdhatis did not show any problems with movement or conditioning. He actually hit some amazing shots and movement was not too bad. However, his first serve % was below 40 and he had too many unforced errors, mostly because he was trying to finish points early instead of waiting for his moments. He also had a handful of double faults on critical points. Another thing that did not work for his was the drop shot, he hit lots of them and they either didn't clear the net or Gil was fast enough to get to them.

Langers
08-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Retire please.