Ivo Minar tested positive according to Czech federation [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ivo Minar tested positive according to Czech federation

maldini
08-24-2009, 02:23 PM
According to the Czech federation, Ivo Minar has been tested positive on Pseudoephedrine after the Davis Cup match against Del Potro.

Link in german:
http://sport.sf.tv/nachrichten/archiv/2009/08/24/tennis/ivo_minar_unter_dopingverdacht

Burrow
08-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Positive for what?

maldini
08-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Pseudoephedrine

Bargearse
08-24-2009, 02:35 PM
When I read the thread title, I thought he tested positive to HIV!:unsure: Lucky for him it was only pseudoephidrine.

trucul
08-24-2009, 02:36 PM
:eek: Is pseudoephedrine on the list of doping products ? This is normally used in case you are coughing ...

http://health.yahoo.com/allergy-medications/pseudoephedrine/healthwise--d00769a1.html

trucul
08-24-2009, 02:42 PM
I remember I watched a match between Minar and Gasquet at Geneva Challenger 2003:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=MA41&oId=G628#

If I had been asked at that time that both players would be caught for doping a few years later, I would not have believed it. :p

timafi
08-24-2009, 02:48 PM
ain't he the short fat bald guy?:confused:
if so:help::o:o:o:o

Bilbo
08-24-2009, 02:48 PM
expected one

Echoes
08-24-2009, 02:49 PM
When I read the thread title, I thought he tested positive to HIV!:unsure:

It's so unusual for tennismen to take dope? :rolleyes:

Ad Wim
08-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Wondered why hy pulled out of the last two tournaments...

HattonWBA
08-24-2009, 02:56 PM
It is obvious that he would be on something, who would want to play Potro sober, hell i would need to be on something to face that machine.

ShotmaKer
08-24-2009, 02:59 PM
When I read the thread title, I thought he tested positive to HIV!:unsure: Lucky for him it was only pseudoephidrine.

lol. good one.

Sunset of Age
08-24-2009, 03:01 PM
:eek: Is pseudoephedrine on the list of doping products ? This is normally used in case you are coughing ...

It's a stimulant, like all of the adrenaline/ephedrine-derivatives, and it's on the WADA list for sure.

BTW, athletes are allowed to take these if they can proof the doping institutions that it's for proper medical purpose, i.e. on doctor's prescription (like many athletes suffering from asthma-related diseases do).
If Minar failed to do so, he's in trouble.

That said, the original article only said 'verdacht' - meaning suspected of. He's not condemned yet. ;)

jmsx521
08-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Next, it will getting tested positive for caffeine.

Goldenoldie
08-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Pseudoephadrine is an ingredient in Night Nurse and other over the counter medicines for colds and flu, no prescription required. He probably had no idea.

If the label didn't contain the warning "do not take this medicine if you are an ATP tennis player" he could sue the manufacturers for loss of earnings.

Sunset of Age
08-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Pseudoephadrine is an ingredient in Night Nurse and other over the counter medicines for colds and flu, no prescription required. He probably had no idea.

If the label didn't contain the warning "do not take this medicine if you are an ATP tennis player" he could sue the manufacturers for loss of earnings.

You're probably right, but it's still is very naive of him to take even non-prescription drugs without consulting a doctor, certainly when you're a professional athlete. I thought usually these guys were warned about this in an early stage of their career by coaches, national federations and the like, actually.

Snoo Foo
08-24-2009, 05:40 PM
in my country it's federally regulated because it's used to make crystal meth, where i live you don't need a prescription but if you buy it you're supposed to show identification and sign some kind of book so they can track you

Burrow
08-24-2009, 05:43 PM
That's probably the worst facepalm i've ever seen.

ballbasher101
08-24-2009, 05:44 PM
I doubt that he wanted to cheat. People make mistakes. I don't think he has ever done anything like this before so they should be a little more lenient.

Snoo Foo
08-24-2009, 05:44 PM
is that ted knight?

pesto
08-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Players will know that some OTC remedies contain substances that are banned in competition.

The problem is that some brands have different constituents in different countries - I remember Alain Baxter losing an Olympic medal due to a formulation of Vicks inhaler that was different in the US than in the UK (it contained methamphetamine, I think).

Of course players should be wise to that, and check the ingredient list.

Minar lost that match, but the Czech Republic won the tie. If he is found guilty and suspended, could the team be disqualified? What would happen if he'd won that match?

Truc
08-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Minar lost that match, but the Czech Republic won the tie. If he is found guilty and suspended, could the team be disqualified? What would happen if he'd won that match?Nothing, I think - unless the rules have changed since 2005.
Beck was tested positive after having beaten Coria in the DC semi-final in 2005 and Slovakia played the final normally (just without Beck).

I think it would have been a problem if they had won the whole thing, but they lost anyway in the final.

Truc
08-24-2009, 06:23 PM
If the label didn't contain the warning "do not take this medicine if you are an ATP tennis player" he could sue the manufacturers for loss of earnings.He could sue them if the product contained pseudoephidrine, but it wasn't written on it. That's what Coria did. His point was that he couldn't know about the forbidden substance.

But not knowing that a substance contained in a medicine is prohibited is no argument. They're supposed to know and to check everything.
That was Mariano Hood's only fault, for example, the report of the hearing said it very clearly, there was absolutely no intent to dope, he just wasn't careful enough about a substance contained in his treatment for hair loss - he got one year suspension all the same.

Sunset of Age
08-24-2009, 06:32 PM
But not knowing that a substance contained in a medicine is prohibited is no argument. They're supposed to know and to check everything.

Yep, such is the case. And they do get warned about not taking any kind of medication, even if it 'looks innocent' - at least in my country you do, as soon as you reach a reasonable level in playing any kind of sport falling under the WADA regime.

And unfortunately, him taking it by accident without any purpose to 'dope' isn't an argument either. Gazillions of real dopers (i.e., those taking stuff with the sole intention of enhancing their performances ;)) would immediately run off with this argument, leaving the anti doping-authorities empty-handed.

Still I hope they will show him some lenience, if if indeed becomes apparent that he was completely ignorant about this stuff.

Schu
08-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Isn't there some way to differentiate between a drug taken for a legitimate medical reason and the same drug taken as a "doping" agent by the amount of the drug found in the sample? Many drugs have a "theuraputic level" at which it is effective for a particular medical condition but if that same dose were taken by an athlete would NOT be a performance enhancer; however, if that level were greatly exceeded it could be a performance enhancer. I suppose that would depend on how fast the drug metabolized and when it was actually taken but I still think in some cases it could be figured out.

I don't know the facts here and I know ignorance is not an excuse but CRAP it just doesn't seem right if you are coughing your head off in the middle of the night and take some cough medicine that looks like it is O.K. because you are not a pharamcists and get banned from your job for a year or two. And yeah, rules are rules but most things in life aren't that simple, except for simple minded people (but that is no one on MTF).

Just wish the WADA would spend their time trying to find ways to catch and punish those who really do cheat instead of throwing out a huge net and catching everyone who has incidential contact with their laundry list of banned substances. Wonder if the WADA has ever tired to play an entire professional level tennis match, basketball or footbal game on some of the substances they claim are performance enhancers?

valexie03
08-24-2009, 07:32 PM
According to the Associated Press, the 'substance' was in a 'food supplement':

PRAGUE, Czech Republic -- Czech tennis player Ivo Minar tested positive for a banned substance after a Davis Cup match, officials said Monday.

Czech Tennis Association president Ivo Kaderka said the sample was taken after the Davis Cup quarterfinal against Argentine on July 10-12.

Kaderka said Minar was taking an unspecified food supplement that apparently contained a derivative of the banned stimulant pseudoephedrine.

The ITF in London said it had no comment.

The 25-year-old Minar, who is ranked 66th, denied deliberate doping.

"I have never consciously taken a banned substance," he said in a statement sent to the CTK news agency. "This is why I rejected the accusation of doping in my reaction sent to the ITF."

Minar cited an injury when he pulled out of the upcoming U.S. Open on Friday.

Kaderka said he interpreted Minar's decision to withdraw as an "offer to deal with the matter in a professional way," not an admission of guilt.

It's unclear whether Minar will be able to play in the Davis Cup semifinal against Croatia on Sept. 18-20.

Minar, who turned pro in 2002 and has never won a tour singles title, won a doubles tournament in Munich this year with Tomas Berdych.

malisha
08-25-2009, 12:54 AM
Ivo is red face chocking ballbasher...he sholud hire a good psychiatrist rather than use doping...Gulbis is an oncourt Yoda for Minar.
i like his game when its on

Ilovetheblues_86
08-25-2009, 01:14 AM
Doping is just like racism, some people don´t understand there are limits for it and put all in the bag.

iSzavay.
08-25-2009, 02:56 AM
I thought it's not banned anyway???

Tulipe
08-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Český tenisový reprezentant Ivo Minář měl pozitivní dopingový test. Informoval o tom server Blesk.cz a ČTK to potvrdili předseda českého svazu Ivo Kaderka i kapitán daviscupového týmu Jaroslav Navrátil. Minář odevzdal pozitivní vzorek při červencovém daviscupovém utkání s Argentinou, případ vyšetřuje Mezinárodní tenisová federace (ITF). Pětadvacetiletý český tenista ve vyjádření pro ČTK obvinění z dopingu odmítl.

Czech tennis player Ivo Minar has had a positive doping test. It was Blesk.cz server who informed about the case and it was confirmed to ČTK (Czech press office) by the Czech Association President Ivo Kaderka and Czech Davis Cup team captain Jaroslav Navratil. Minar had a positive sample at July's Davis Cup tie with Argentine, the case is being solved by ITF. The 25-year-old player denied the accusation in his statement for ČTK.

"Nikdy jsem vědomě nepožil žádnou zakázanou látku. I proto jsem ve své reakci v komunikaci s ITF dopingové obvinění popřel," uvedl Minář v prohlášení.

"I've never consciously taken any banned substance. That's why I denied the doping accusation in my reaction to ITF," Minar said in his statement.

Podle informací ČTK Minář doplatil na užívání léku, který chyběl na seznamu povolených mezinárodní federací a obsahoval derivát stimulantu pseudoefedrinu. "Je mi vyčítáno, že v mém testovacím vzorku byla látka ze zakázaného seznamu méně závažných látek," pokračoval Minář, který se prý nyní pokouší se svými právníky okolnosti vysvětlit mezinárodní federaci. "Vinen z užití dopingu se v žádném případě necítím," dodal.

According to the ČTK information, Minar had been taking a medicament that was missing on the ITF list of approved medicaments and contained a pseudoephedrine derivate. "I'm accused of having a substance from the list of less serious banned substances in my sample," continued Minar, who is reportedly trying to explain the circumstances to the ITF with his lawyers. "I do not feel guilty at all for doping," he added.

Navrátil byl o Minářově případu již informován. "Nyní je důležité, jak bude celý případ dořešen a jak se k němu postaví Mezinárodní tenisová federace," uvedl Navrátil. Musel každopádně přestat s Minářem počítat pro zářijový semifinálový zápas Davis Cupu v Chorvatsku. "Vedle Radka Štěpánka a Tomáše Berdycha se nabízejí Lukáš Dlouhý, Jan Hernych a nebo Jan Hájek," doplnil Navrátil.

Navratil has already been informed about the Minar's case. "Now the important thing is how the case will be solved and what will be the ITF's attitude," Navratil said. However, he had to count Minar out of the September's Davis Cup semi-final tie in Croatia. "Besides Radek Stepanek and Tomas Berdych there are Lukas Dlouhy, Jan Hernych or Jan Hajek," Navratil added.

Svazového šéfa Kaderku prý o svém případu informoval samotný tenista. "Jeho vysvětlení je zcela jasné a pro mě uspokojivé. Budeme plně respektovat rozhodnutí ITF, ale nehrajme si předčasně na inkvizitory," konstatoval Kaderka.

The Czech Tennis Association president Kaderka was reportedly informed about the case by Minar himself. "His explanation is absolutely clear and sufficent for me. We will fully respect the ITF resolution, but we are not playing at inquisitors," Kaderka stated.

Aktuálně šestašedesátý hráč světového žebříčku Minář se minulý pátek odhlásil z blížícího se US Open, jako oficiální důvod uvedl zranění. Kaderka podle agentury AP interpretoval Minářovo rozhodnutí jako "možnost vyřešit tento případ jako profesionál", nikoli jako přiznání viny.

Minar, who is currently on 66th position in rankings withdrew from the US Open last Friday, as the official reason he reported an injury. According to the AP agency, Kaderka interpreted Minar's decision as "a possibility how to solve this case as a professional", not as a backdown.

Minář ve čtvrtfinále Davis Cupu nastoupil jako náhradník za zraněného Radka Štěpánka k jedinému utkání. V prvním hracím dnu jej deklasoval favorizovaný Juan Martin del Potro 6:1, 6:3 a 6:3. Na výsledek utkání, které český tým vyhrál 3:2, by proto Minářův pozitivní nález neměl mít vliv.

Minar played as a substitute for injured Radek Stepanek in Davis Cup quarter-final tie in only one match. On the first day he was outclassed by the favourite Juan Martin del Potro 6:1, 6:3 and 6:3. Minar's positive sample therefore should not influence the result of the tie which was won 3:2 by the Czech team.

Bilbo
08-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Ivo is red face chocking ballbasher...he sholud hire a good psychiatrist rather than use doping...Gulbis is an oncourt Yoda for Minar.
i like his game when its on

your taste is awful

rwn
08-25-2009, 10:53 AM
It´s well known that food supplements can be contaminated with banned substances. He deserves to get banned, if for stupidity alone.

malisha
08-25-2009, 11:38 AM
your taste is awful

i know:lol:

Bargearse
08-25-2009, 11:52 AM
in my country it's federally regulated because it's used to make crystal meth, where i live you don't need a prescription but if you buy it you're supposed to show identification and sign some kind of book so they can track you

Chemists/Pharmacists do the same in Australia. For me, cold medication without pseudoephedrine doesn't work, so I'm forced to hand over my ID. Because of crystal meth, there is now a stigma with it. Same goes for Codeine. You ask your GP for it because you really need it and they look at you like you're a junkie.:unsure:

Don't know what I would do if I were a pro tennis player. Hire a scientist to dissect and test everything I eat, everything I drink? :shrug: I'm surprised more players aren't busted for doping.

Tulipe
08-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Chemists/Pharmacists do the same in Australia. For me, cold medication without pseudoephedrine doesn't work, so I'm forced to hand over my ID. Because of crystal meth, there is now a stigma with it. Same goes for Codeine. You ask your GP for it because you really need it and they look at you like you're a junkie.:unsure:

Don't know what I would do if I were a pro tennis player. Hire a scientist to dissect and test everything I eat, everything I drink? :shrug: I'm surprised more players aren't busted for doping.

Here, everything on the basis of ephedrine can be bought only in selected pharmaceries that have to register somewhere. If you go somewhere and ask for that kind of medicament, they tell you "Sorry, we're not registered, we don't sell this!" So I think everybody knows it's a suspected substance - all the Czechs, Minar not being an exception. :shrug: He should be more careful of what medicament he takes. I remember Gaudio once said he was so afraid of being accused of doping that he didn't even dare to take anything for headache. So of course he can take something for cold, but at least I'd look on the box and make sure I can take this. If someone hands me a pill saying "Take this!", as a pro tennis player I'm not sure I'd take it without knowing what it is... :rolleyes:

Iván
08-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Shame on you Ivo

Ad Wim
09-05-2009, 01:13 AM
Anything decided on this yet?

gulzhan
09-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Move to Minar forum.

Labamba
10-14-2009, 03:41 PM
The ITF therefore confirmed Mr Minar’s commission of a Doping Offence under Article C.1 of the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme, and determined that Mr Minar should be suspended from participation for a period of eight months, commencing on 11 July 2009 and ending on 10 March 2010. The ITF also determined that Mr Minar’s results from the 2009 ATP tournaments in Stuttgart, Hamburg and Gstaad should be disqualified, with resulting forfeiture of the prize money that he won at those events.

http://www.itftennis.com/antidoping/news/pressrelease.asp?articleid=20548

Sunset of Age
10-14-2009, 05:02 PM
http://www.itftennis.com/antidoping/news/pressrelease.asp?articleid=20548

I'm afraid that however much a pity for Minar, it's a harsh but justified decision. Pseudoephedrine is a stimulant and it's a player's (and his team's) own responsibility to take utmost care not to take anything that might be contaminated. Too bad.

JolánGagó
10-14-2009, 07:26 PM

:haha:

Sapeod
10-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Minar forum.