Koellerer in austrian davis cup team ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Koellerer in austrian davis cup team ?

raph72
08-24-2009, 12:54 PM
I know the team for the match in Chile is alkready elected but the new victory of koellerer in clay in Trani this week end can make some trouble. I don't like this player at all but i think he can desserved a call in davis cup team instead of koubek. Koubek desserved it too but in austria, the debat is deep. So do you know if koellerer is not wanted by the team staff or his teammates ?
Same think in doubles. I know the double pair Melzer - Knowle is realy good and have many automatism, as when Peya paly too. But why oliver marach, the best paustrian player in double actually is never selected ? Is he "banned" like koellerer ? or is ti just a tactic choice from schaller ?

JMG
08-24-2009, 01:04 PM
In this tie the doubles is in the evening and Marach has problems with artificial lights. Another reason is that Knowle is Schaller's #1 and Knowle doesn't like to play doubles with baseliners.

About Koellerer they had agreed to play with him if he behaves until the nomination, but in Umag he insulted Knowle/Melzer during the doubles.

Of course Koellerer is much better than Koubek and Peya on clay and if they lose, there will be enough reasons to fire Schaller.

Horatio Caine
08-24-2009, 03:05 PM
In this tie the doubles is in the evening and Marach has problems with artificial lights. Another reason is that Knowle is Schaller's #1 and Knowle doesn't like to play doubles with baseliners.

About Koellerer they had agreed to play with him if he behaves until the nomination, but in Umag he insulted Knowle/Melzer during the doubles.

Do you know any particular reason why Chile opted to play all rubbers as late as they are planning? Didn't think heat would be a major issue in mid-September?

:lol: @ Koellerer...just can't help himself. :silly:

feuselino
08-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Koellerer should and needs to play. The rest of the team should remember that they are pros, so deal with it.

HattonWBA
08-24-2009, 03:54 PM
He deserves it after the very solid year that he has had.

Zirconek
08-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Koellerer should and needs to play. The rest of the team should remember that they are pros, so deal with it.

Well, Davis Cup is a team competition, and if he is persona non grata... it's not like he can get a nomination by ranking, and he can only blame himself. Also, he is not much consistent, like losing to Gremelmayr 6-1 6-0 in first round of Turin Challenger last June. This may play a role in the nomination.

Horatio Caine
08-24-2009, 04:20 PM
There's a very strong emphasis on teamwork in a competition like this, so it is bordering on impossible to name a player who will not co-operate with others...he'd be more of a liability than an asset to the cause.

ClaudiuS
08-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Do you know any particular reason why Chile opted to play all rubbers as late as they are planning? Didn't think heat would be a major issue in mid-September?

I don't know exactly why they want to play them late. But it will work great for me and for all the crowd attending the rubbers, the location where they're going to play has no roof so being there for more than 4 hours in the sun can be a bit uncomfortable. :D But probably it will rain during the tie :o

Also the place where there are going to play looks similar to a bullring. :p

ClaudiuS
08-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Okay, I guess I found the main and real reason why the scheduling, they're playing on September 18th, 19th and 20th.

September 18th is Chile's national day (Celebration of the First Government meeting taken place in 1810 to be precise), and there many activities to celebrate during the afternoon, specially the military parade on Sept 19th that takes place around 3pm, the broadcast of that event can't be interrupted. So maybe the organisers are trying to put the tennis action, after all those activities so those holidays can't cause a major effect in the attendance, specially after Gonzalez withdrawn from the DC team.

:shrug:

feuselino
08-24-2009, 04:34 PM
As far as I can remember, Muster and Skoff didn't get along particularly well, but they played in DC nontheless...

marquez
08-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Dani could handle the atmosphere at least
looks like hes preparing for such an atmosphere all year :lol: