Federer has won his last match against the rest of the top 6 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer has won his last match against the rest of the top 6

lessthanjake
08-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Going into this year's US Open, the title really is up for grabs. Everyone in the top 6 is great on hard courts. Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, and Roddick are hard court slam winners, while Murray and Del Potro have won hard court titles recently (Montreal and Washington respectively). Anyone out of those 6 is good enough to win the US Open.

After his victory in Cincinnati, though, Federer is probably the favorite. What is interesting about this, though, is that Federer has now won his last match against every single one of the other main contenders, and those last matches were all recent.

Nadal: Federer beat him 6-4, 6-4 in the finals of Madrid
Djokovic: Federer beat him 6-1, 7-5 in the finals of Cincinnati
Murray: Federer beat him 6-2, 7-6 in the semifinals of Cincinnati
Roddick: Federer beat him 5-7, 7-6, 7-6, 3-6, 16-14 in the finals of Wimbledon
Del Potro: Federer beat him 3-6, 7-6, 2-6, 6-1, 6-4 in the semifinals of Roland Garros

Having won 4 of the last 5 tournaments he has played should give Federer a lot of confidence, but having beaten all the other contenders in his last matches against them should also really boost Federer's confidence going into the US Open.

FedFan_2007
08-23-2009, 09:34 PM
So what the :retard: haters will still cite 7-13, 3-6...

lessthanjake
08-23-2009, 09:37 PM
So what the :retard: haters will still cite 7-13, 3-6...

Well, of course, but from Federer's perspective, he has beaten all his rivals the last time they played. He has to get a mental advantage from that.

elessar
08-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Yes.
Just as Tsonga will now go into a match against Roger with the mental edge.

HattonWBA
08-23-2009, 09:52 PM
And...............

He could lose the last three meeting to them all and still be favorite for the US Open

lessthanjake
08-23-2009, 10:03 PM
And...............

He could lose the last three meeting to them all and still be favorite for the US Open

I disagree. If Murray had beaten Federer in the semis of Cincinni, and then beaten Djokovic in the finals, I would have felt that Murray was the US Open favorite.

luie
08-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Apart from nadal(@ RG) the other members are quite lucky they are not good enough to go deep in tourny's to meet federer otherwise he would rip nadull,Murray,fakervic apart.These guys are weak getting beat-up by an old man quite embarrassing

rubbERR
08-23-2009, 10:18 PM
old man? did you feel like weak old man when you were 28? :lol:

Bolton'sBastard
08-23-2009, 10:18 PM
I disagree. If Murray had beaten Federer in the semis of Cincinni, and then beaten Djokovic in the finals, I would have felt that Murray was the US Open favorite.

And I would of felt that you were a fool. Murray won Cincinnati last year and look what happened to him in the final. Federer in a Grand Slam he owns is ALWAYS the favorite going in regardless of previous form in a Master Series event. Federer just put the exclamation point on it going in this year.

DJ Soup
08-23-2009, 10:21 PM

damn, I hope I never get to 28 then

luie
08-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Well considering his competition is 22/23 an in their prime, yes 28 is a bit older.;)

calvinhobbes
08-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Well, of course, but from Federer's perspective, he has beaten all his rivals the last time they played. He has to get a mental advantage from that.

And this would be eventually a good argument against Sampras in the GOAT business:
Sampras : -You aren´t the GOAT because Rafa and Mugray have winning HTHs against you.
Roger : -But I won convincingly my last match against each of them....
Commentary:Please, Rog. For the sake of remaining the GOAT, retire now . . . . . :devil::devil::devil:

ForehandWinner
08-23-2009, 10:38 PM
only hope fed is not too much fav for us open

ForehandWinner
08-23-2009, 10:38 PM
flying under helped in a lot before

lessthanjake
08-23-2009, 10:44 PM
And I would of felt that you were a fool. Murray won Cincinnati last year and look what happened to him in the final. Federer in a Grand Slam he owns is ALWAYS the favorite going in regardless of previous form in a Master Series event. Federer just put the exclamation point on it going in this year.

Yeah but last year, Murray hadn't won 5 matches in a row against Federer (which is what it would have been if Federer had lost yesterday). If Murray had won Cincinnati, he would have taken Montreal AND Cincinnati, which is far more impressive than taking one of the two.

The fact is that Murray is a better fast hard court player than anyone else besides Federer, and if he seemed to have Federer's number individually (which would be the case if he had won 5 in a row against him) then I would think Murray would be a slight favorite for the US Open in my mind.

As it is, Federer has proven that Murray does not have his number, and being the 5-time defending champ, and playing in excellent form, Federer is the favorite.

munZe konZa
08-23-2009, 11:37 PM
before that Federer had lost 5 straight matches to Nadal, 4 straight matches to Murray and 2 straight matches to Djokovic . He "won" against Nadal when he was tired in Madrid and he beat tired Murray as well as tired Djokovic. Is that why you are boasting in this topic now ?

Gaudio2004
08-23-2009, 11:52 PM
before that Federer had lost 5 straight matches to Nadal, 4 straight matches to Murray and 2 straight matches to Djokovic . He "won" against Nadal when he was tired in Madrid and he beat tired Murray as well as tired Djokovic. Is that why you are boasting in this topic now ?

Blimey, tired Murray, tired Djokovic? Not as if Murray had won Wimbledon, Djokovic was knocked out before the Semi Finals of Wimbledon, while Federer won a 4 hour match, if anything, a tired Federer beat a fresh Djokovic...

Chiseller
08-24-2009, 12:09 AM

You cannot be 30, no way, no no no, just no.

Certinfy
08-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Tsonga should go in as the 2nd fave for USO now? :lol:

munZe konZa
08-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Blimey, tired Murray, tired Djokovic? Not as if Murray had won Wimbledon, Djokovic was knocked out before the Semi Finals of Wimbledon, while Federer won a 4 hour match, if anything, a tired Federer beat a fresh Djokovic...

He "beat" Nadal after Rafa played the longest 3 set match in history against Nole. He "beat" Murray after he was totally exhausted playing 2 straight weeks and he "beat" Nole after he had 15 hours rest after playing Nadal. Those are incredible circumstances and I believe that's the only way he will ever beat them again. Federer has to look for incredible exhuastion or the longest matches with not enough rest to beat those 3 players.

Sunset of Age
08-24-2009, 01:33 AM
^^ ACC material at its finest. :worship:

FedFan_2007
08-24-2009, 01:34 AM
He "beat" Nadal after Rafa played the longest 3 set match in history against Nole. He "beat" Murray after he was totally exhausted playing 2 straight weeks and he "beat" Nole after he had 15 hours rest after playing Nadal. Those are incredible circumstances and I believe that's the only way he will ever beat them again. Federer has to look for incredible exhuastion or the longest matches with not enough rest to beat those 3 players.

Yeah Fed will only ever beat exhausted players in finals... :banghead:

munZe konZa
08-24-2009, 01:38 AM
Yeah Fed will only ever beat exhausted players in finals... :banghead:

sure he can prove me wrong if he plays a night match then plays against Nole in the morning. Let him volunteer for that

FedFan_2007
08-24-2009, 01:40 AM
Just go away troll....

Dini
08-24-2009, 01:49 AM
munZe konZa stop for your own sake. The stuff you're saying is outright embarassing, and cringeworthy for the average reader.

Nole playing at a later time would have hidden Fed's forehand? :retard: :retard: :retard: A couple more hours would have made Nole beat the determined Federer of today and of the past two days? :eek:

IFs, BUTs, whatevers = complete waste of time, and bitterness to the max. Just accept it and move on, and hope for Djokovic to give a better showing next time. Going on and on and on about something totally useless and meaningless is something of whiners.

Serenidad
08-24-2009, 01:54 AM
:inlove: avatar...

and Frauderror isn't winning the US anyways so shut up clowns. It's Andrew Murray peanut butter jelly time.

Dini
08-24-2009, 01:55 AM
:inlove: avatar...

You'll never get over it, will you? :lol:

Serenidad
08-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Not really. Unless Murray shows up in the SF+ of Flushing Meadows and not Mugray. :tape:

mandeep
08-24-2009, 02:10 AM

Federer sucks.. make him give 15 grand slams back, and then split them equally amongs nadal,murray and Nole. Why doesn't he get his shit togather and play someone not tired, or we should make him run laps before his match, so he can be just as tired as his opponent.

Federer played the same amount of matchs as his oponnents, not his fault that he cruises to victories and doesnt break a sweat. No go away.

luie
08-24-2009, 04:24 AM

Cry more,sore loser :sad::sad: fakervic is rubbish.

HKz
08-24-2009, 05:45 AM
Good find. Will be an interesting US Open regardless.

ShotmaKer
08-24-2009, 09:41 AM

what was your point again ? oh yeah, djokovic is the real #1, thats fact.

barbadosan
08-24-2009, 10:22 AM

Wow! Who knew that the "professional" ATP tour is made up of a zillion "tired" players and one non-tired individual...! :eek::haha::haha:

BTW, the phrase we use for people who harp on the same thing a thousand times over is "you're singing the song the cow died on" :haha:

munZe konZa
08-24-2009, 01:41 PM
munZe konZa stop for your own sake. The stuff you're saying is outright embarassing, and cringeworthy for the average reader.

Nole playing at a later time would have hidden Fed's forehand? :retard: :retard: :retard: A couple more hours would have made Nole beat the determined Federer of today and of the past two days? :eek:

IFs, BUTs, whatevers = complete waste of time, and bitterness to the max. Just accept it and move on, and hope for Djokovic to give a better showing next time. Going on and on and on about something totally useless and meaningless is something of whiners.

Federer sucks.. make him give 15 grand slams back, and then split them equally amongs nadal,murray and Nole. Why doesn't he get his shit togather and play someone not tired, or we should make him run laps before his match, so he can be just as tired as his opponent.

Federer played the same amount of matchs as his oponnents, not his fault that he cruises to victories and doesnt break a sweat. No go away.

Wow! Who knew that the "professional" ATP tour is made up of a zillion "tired" players and one non-tired individual...! :eek::haha::haha:

BTW, the phrase we use for people who harp on the same thing a thousand times over is "you're singing the song the cow died on" :haha:

The fact is I am telling the truth that no one else dares to say.The level of Djokovic was not even half in the final as compared to the semi final and that's the fault of scheduling and because this is third time it happens to Nole in the last year (also US&Australian Open) it can not be coincidence.

Meanwhile Federer is always well rested for his matches and certainly never plays the last night match and then the first match the very next day . This is not fair to Federer or tennis either because it suggests that this is the only way he can win against other top players :(

TheHawk
08-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Both Murray and Djokovic didn't show their true value against Federer. As for Nadal, he is of course way off the fitness level he wants to reach but hopefully he'll be OK for week 2 at the US Open.

Having said that, my money for the last slam are on Novak.

ShotmaKer
08-24-2009, 01:52 PM
The fact is I am telling the truth that no one else dares to say.The level of Djokovic was not even half in the final as compared to the semi final and that's the fault of scheduling and because this is third time it happens to Nole in the last year (also US&Australian Open) it can not be coincidence.

Meanwhile Federer is always well rested for his matches and certainly never plays the last night match and then the first match the very next day . This is not fair to Federer or tennis either because it suggests that this is the only way he can win against other top players :(

;)

munZe konZa
08-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Both Murray and Djokovic didn't show their true value against Federer. As for Nadal, he is of course way off the fitness level he wants to reach but hopefully he'll be OK for week 2 at the US Open.

same thing happened in last US open, Federer was handed a title on a golden platter

Apemant
08-24-2009, 02:00 PM

You just don't understand that Nadal and Federer don't play the same way; in fact, Nadal's playing style often makes opponents who beat him, look like they are playing godlike. Just look at the way Tsonga and Gonzalez ripped Nadal apart at AO, they seemed as if they were playing THE perfect tennis. Nole did play well in SF but it wasn't as good as it looked; it's the way Rafa plays that gives such an impression. Lots of high-bouncing balls sitting up, ready to be blasted away.

buzz
08-24-2009, 02:02 PM

But murray cut his fist out of frustation because he couldn't keep up with feds level (on that day atleast).

munZe konZa
08-24-2009, 02:07 PM
But murray cut his fist out of frustation because he couldn't keep up with feds level (on that day atleast).

it is very telling that Federer only dominates the other 3 when they are tired and inconvenienced from other circumstances, see Cincinnati and last US Open. When everything else is equal , Federer gets beaten :)

munZe konZa
08-24-2009, 02:09 PM
You just don't understand that Nadal and Federer don't play the same way; in fact, Nadal's playing style often makes opponents who beat him, look like they are playing godlike. Just look at the way Tsonga and Gonzalez ripped Nadal apart at AO, they seemed as if they were playing THE perfect tennis. Nole did play well in SF but it wasn't as good as it looked; it's the way Rafa plays that gives such an impression. Lots of high-bouncing balls sitting up, ready to be blasted away.

It doesn't explain Nole's weak serve and movement from match to match and losing so many straight points . I am first to say that Nole hasn't been up to form this year but such an oscillation from match to match was solely due to scheduling

Sunset of Age
08-24-2009, 02:11 PM
it is very telling that Federer only dominates the other 3 when they are tired and inconvenienced from other circumstances, see Cincinnati and last US Open. When everything else is equal , Federer gets beaten :)

What a WHIMPS and PUSSIES they are, "those other 3", always tired and injured. It's a shame they even try to play a sport, don't you think? They should be permanently locked away in a rehabilitation home and use their talents for studying Sanskrit or something the like in stead...

Apemant
08-24-2009, 02:18 PM
It doesn't explain Nole's weak serve and movement from match to match and losing so many straight points . I am first to say that Nole hasn't been up to form this year but such an oscillation from match to match was solely due to scheduling

He didn't serve all that well vs. Nadal either. He also didn't have to move particularly well in his SF - was happy to make Nadal do all the running.

Like I said, when the opponent runs down many balls and returns them back with loopy shots that sit up high, you tend to look awesome while blasting them away. But it doesn't mean it's really that awesome. The difference is that Nadal didn't even try to attack, whereas Federer looked to attack on every opportunity. That's the main difference; not those oscillations in his performance.

Even though I admit 15 hours is not enough to fully rest; 24 hours is much better. :shrug:

FedFan_2007
08-24-2009, 02:19 PM

This. :worship:

Amazing all the endless library of excuses for a player almost 6 years younger! I don't recall Federer ever having so many fatigue issues when he was 22, but what the HELL do I know? :rolleyes:

FedFan_2007
08-24-2009, 02:21 PM
What a WHIMPS and PUSSIES they are, "those other 3", always tired and injured. It's a shame they even try to play a sport, don't you think? They should be permanently locked away in a rehabilitation home and use their talents for studying Sanskrit or something the like in stead...

Karin - as usual you said it all. :worship: :ras:

ShotmaKer
08-24-2009, 02:49 PM

:)

plus if it wasn't for his bad scheduling, fakervic would have about 10 slams on his resume right now... real #1 im telling ya...

Boognish
08-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Djkovic is a great player, just unlucky to be in the era of Federer and Nadal.

/topic

madmax
08-24-2009, 03:02 PM
so 22 years old Djokovic can't handle having a few less hours of rest than his 28 years old opponent, who has so much more miles in his legs? What does that tell us about his conditioning and fitness levels? Maybe he should quit the sport then if he's unable to perform at decent level due to constant fatigue? When will you morons are gonna realize that being a succesfull professional sportsman includes your conditioning and fitness level...

munZe konZa
08-24-2009, 03:26 PM
so 22 years old Djokovic can't handle having a few less hours of rest than his 28 years old opponent, who has so much more miles in his legs? What does that tell us about his conditioning and fitness levels? Maybe he should quit the sport then if he's unable to perform at decent level due to constant fatigue? When will you morons are gonna realize that being a succesfull professional sportsman includes your conditioning and fitness level...

age doesn't even factor in here since they are both in prime shape , we are talking about time differences. Everybody needs rest and sleep no matter their age and even biological clock comes into equation as the bodies condition themselves between a night and a day. I am not an expert but I don't think players should play at least before 20 hours pass from their previous match or 40 hours if it's 2 days in grand slams.

Yet yesterday Nole was forced to play after only 15 hours from his semi final match, also last year in the US open he played Roddick which finnished at midnight on Thursday and then was forced to play Federer again at 11 in morning on Saturday, that's only 35 hours and a 12 hour difference and both matches Nole couldn't play to his abilities and lost badly but didn't complain . Both matches were ugly with lopsided scores and even though I am not an athlete I don't think it's possible to play in those time lapses

JimmyV
08-24-2009, 03:28 PM
age doesn't even factor in here since they are both in prime shape , we are talking about time differences. Everybody needs rest and sleep no matter their age and even biological clock comes into equation as the bodies condition themselves between a night and a day. I am not an expert but I don't think players should play at least before 20 hours pass from their previous match or 40 hours if it's 2 days in grand slams.

Yet yesterday Nole was forced to play after only 15 hours from his semi final match, also last year in the US open he played Roddick which finnished at midnight on Thursday and then was forced to play Federer again at 11 in morning on Saturday, that's only 35 hours and a 12 hour difference and both matches Nole couldn't play to his abilities and lost badly but didn't complain . Both matches were ugly with lopsided scores and even though I am not an athlete I don't think it's possible to play in those time lapses

Your joking right? This has to be like the lamest excuse I've ever heard, are you really that desperate? Jesus.

ShotmaKer
08-24-2009, 03:46 PM

you cannot be serious !

SERVivor
08-24-2009, 04:08 PM
I know this isn't a GOAT thread, but I think the GOAT's top criteria should be ones record at the grand slams and TM Cups won. The fact that Fed has a losing record against both Nadal and Murray shouldn't matter. The argument between Pete and Roger wouldn't even exist, in my opinion, if Laver had been allowed to play grand slams throughout the 1960's. Remember, he missed like 6 years worth of slams because he turned pro. I believe he would have had more than 15.

rubbERR
08-24-2009, 04:11 PM
its impossible not to remember that when guys like you repeating it all the time. :lol:

Joao
08-24-2009, 05:04 PM
both matches Nole couldn't play to his abilities and lost badly but didn't complain

Maybe you should follow Djokovic and stop complaining! If Djokovic doesn't complain why are you? I'm sure he knows better than you ... after all, he was the one on court not you!

even though I am not an athlete I don't think it's possible to play in those time lapses

I guess you didn't watch AO 09 then! Nadal played that super long SF and came back to play another long match against Federer and he actually WON it!? So it is possible!

You clearly don't know what you're talking about ... so just give it a rest!

TheHawk
08-24-2009, 05:04 PM
The fact that Fed has a losing record against both Nadal and Murray shouldn't matter.
Doesn't that AT stand for "all time"? I thought you need to be better at least than those of your era to be considered such.

Collective
08-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Impressive the gallery of excuses Nole gets. He must be really charismatic to get such a big pass on his terrible performances all year long. Scheduling, injuries, heat, racket, you name it. He keeps sucking and they keep making excuses for him haha.

Langers
08-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Going into this year's US Open, the title really is up for grabs. Everyone in the top 6 is great on hard courts. Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, and Roddick are hard court slam winners, while Murray and Del Potro have won hard court titles recently (Montreal and Washington respectively). Anyone out of those 6 is good enough to win the US Open.

After his victory in Cincinnati, though, Federer is probably the favorite. What is interesting about this, though, is that Federer has now won his last match against every single one of the other main contenders, and those last matches were all recent.

Nadal: Federer beat him 6-4, 6-4 in the finals of Madrid
Djokovic: Federer beat him 6-1, 7-5 in the finals of Cincinnati
Murray: Federer beat him 6-2, 7-6 in the semifinals of Cincinnati
Roddick: Federer beat him 5-7, 7-6, 7-6, 3-6, 16-14 in the finals of Wimbledon
Del Potro: Federer beat him 3-6, 7-6, 2-6, 6-1, 6-4 in the semifinals of Roland Garros

Having won 4 of the last 5 tournaments he has played should give Federer a lot of confidence, but having beaten all the other contenders in his last matches against them should also really boost Federer's confidence going into the US Open.
Ahhh how exactly? Federer is the only one who will be winning in NY.

Singularity
08-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Doesn't that AT stand for "all time"? I thought you need to be better at least than those of your era to be considered such.
Better in terms of your ability to win tournaments.

ShotmaKer
08-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Ahhh how exactly? Federer is the only one who will be winning in NY.

are you trying to jinx him or something ? sure he showed some good form in cincy, but imho it's not granted some in form players could not take him out. it's tennis, nothing is impossible.

Apemant
08-24-2009, 05:23 PM

He IS better than everyone in this era. :shrug: