Would America Rather Root For Murray Than Federer? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Would America Rather Root For Murray Than Federer?

The Oracle
08-23-2009, 05:35 PM
What do you think, I think it is a timely question because we have just been assured that Murray WILL BE on the bottom half.

I think America probably would root for Murray over Federer,

What does America think?

l_mac
08-23-2009, 05:37 PM
I think you are probably wrong.

bluefork
08-23-2009, 05:39 PM
I would guess they would root for Federer. He's very popular here and certainly more well-known than Murray to people who don't follow tennis. Murray has neither the game style nor the personality to really capture the American audience.

maratsmaiden
08-23-2009, 05:42 PM
no, America will not root for Murray over Fed. Fed personifies what American's like about sport - flashy, monogrammed, celebrated champion. American sports/fans typically jump on bandwaggons. They love a winner. Murray is none of those things. His clothes are ugly, his game is quite dull, it's hard to even tell why he's winning when he's on court. There is no way he will electrify a crowd and get them on his side over Fed, sorry...

Burrow
08-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Murray is boring and ugly and an embarrassment to this country, hope this helps.

Gaudio2004
08-23-2009, 05:47 PM
no, America will not root for Murray over Fed. Fed personifies what American's like about sport - flashy, monogrammed, celebrated champion. American sports/fans typically jump on bandwaggons. They love a winner. Murray is none of those things. His clothes are ugly, his game is quite dull, it's hard to even tell why he's winning when he's on court. There is no way he will electrify a crowd and get them on his side over Fed, sorry...

Excellent post, could not have said it better myself. :worship:

Snoo Foo
08-23-2009, 05:53 PM
America thinks Roger Federer is American.

tangerine_dream
08-23-2009, 05:59 PM
The USO crowd has only just last year started warming up to Roger and actively cheering for him. From what I've seen, they also appear to like Murray a lot so they'll cheer for him too.

Fact is, they'll cheer for anybody who captures their imagination. Federer did that last year, Djokovic did so in 2007, all it takes is a great run, show a lot of heart, guts, and personality, and they'll respond accordingly. If Murray pulls off a Wimbledon like performance at USO I'm sure he'll have many new American fans.

Roddickominator
08-23-2009, 06:00 PM
America thinks Roger Federer is American.

Roger is more American than he is Swiss.

And obviously we would never root for Murray above Federer. Murray is a dull, lifeless person. The only time he wakes out of his ornery stupor is to yell "COME ON" in an effort to "pump himself up" in the most classless way possible. Americans celebrate greatness and true classy champions, who rise to the occassion on the biggest stages. Murray is none of these things.

maratsmaiden
08-23-2009, 06:05 PM

And obviously we would never root for Murray above Federer. Murray is a dull, lifeless person. The only time he wakes out of his ornery stupor is to yell "COME ON" in an effort to "pump himself up" in the most classless way possible. Americans celebrate greatness and true classy champions, who rise to the occassion on the biggest stages. Murray is none of these things.

I agree with most of your post, except for the 'classy champions' part. America doesn't care if you're classy or not - we 'cheer' for Serena... Flash, power, arrogance and overall greatness are cheered for and celebrated much more than class.

Roddickominator
08-23-2009, 06:11 PM
I agree with most of your post, except for the 'classy champions' part. America doesn't care if you're classy or not - we 'cheer' for Serena... Flash, power, arrogance and overall greatness are cheered for and celebrated much more than class.

That's probably why we don't care nearly as much about her as we should....based on her accomplishments.

IAMlegend
08-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Neither one of these two is Boris Becker (the last foreign player that was truly embraced by the American crowd.) My guess is the storyline(during game or tournament) will determine who gets supported. If nothing interesting happens during the match or tournament, Fred will get the support--he's better known.

bokehlicious
08-23-2009, 06:15 PM

Sure

:retard:

Bolton'sBastard
08-23-2009, 06:15 PM

I definitely agree. At least that's how I see things lol.

IAMlegend
08-23-2009, 06:16 PM
That's probably why we don't care nearly as much about her as we should....based on her accomplishments.

I think that WE there, should be qualified. We who? I hope you're not talking for all Americans.

bluefork
08-23-2009, 06:16 PM
The uneducated American fan, in general, roots for players in this order:

1. Americans
2. Players they've seen in TV commercials
3. Players who play entertaining tennis

doublebackhand
08-23-2009, 06:19 PM

1. Americans

so where is murray?

Roddickominator
08-23-2009, 06:20 PM
I think that WE there, should be qualified. We who? I hope you're not talking for all Americans.

I'm talking about your average casual American sports fan. They know who Serena is, but she doesn't get much pub considering that she's American and so dominant(when she wants to be).

bluefork
08-23-2009, 06:24 PM
so where is murray?

Apparently they don't root for him.

andylovesaustin
08-23-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm rooting for Andy Roddick. I'd really like to see him win the USO one more time.

Between Murray and Fed? I'm not sure, but I think a lot of the USO crowd will probably root for the underdog--Murray. I think I'll be rooting for Murray v Roger, too, if he makes it that far even though I am not really a fan. I would just like to see another player step-up. It's really getting ridiculous.

I would love to see another player give Roger some competition. Nothing agains Roger. I mean, Rafa--unless a miracle happens, I don't see him in the final. And I'm not even sure if Andy Roddick is gonna make it either. I'd love to see Del Potro do well.

As a matter of fact, it would really cool if some unknown player.. somebody noone even thinks has a shot--plays out his mind to win.
I just don't know who that person would be.

SerenaFederer
08-23-2009, 06:32 PM

omg :sobbing:

Chip_s_m
08-23-2009, 06:32 PM

1. Americans

Change "players who play entertaining tennis" to "players who are entertaining". Then put it ahead of #2.

The USO crowd wants to be entertained. This is why guys who are interesting, such as Safin, Hewitt, and Kuerten have strong fanbases. No one knows who Davydenko is for this reason. Even Santoro won a bunch of fans during his match with Blake in 2007. Djokovic had this going for him until he threw that hissy fit last year because the crowd was *shockingly* rooting for Roddick. It'll be interesting to see how they treat him this year.

As for Murray, his tennis is terribly boring, but even worse is that he brings absolutely no energy. He just doesn't seem that cool. He'll have fans from his run last year, though. Plus it probably helps that he's from the UK. If he plays Fed he'll collect a lot of support for being the underdog. Still, Fed is more well-known and will probably have more support.

SerenaFederer
08-23-2009, 06:37 PM
to answer the question...of course not...they don't even cheer against fed when he's playing roddick (they cheer equally for both)....federer is like one of their own, and you'd think he was in switzerland the way they cheer for him

andylovesaustin
08-23-2009, 06:40 PM
I tell ya what. I think for sure Americans respect Roger. And yeah, the average sports fan might root for him.. because he's the best.

But if some unknown challenger--some really likeable "Rocky-like" character breaks through, a lot of people will root for an upset.

I think if somebody like Hewitt or Haas manages to make it to final.. (I'm not sure about the seeding..just hypothetical) then I think Americans would root for the underdog.

I think a lot of Americans would root for del Potro! He's got just a gentle demeaner. I bet he could win some fans.

Now if Andy Roddick makes it to the finals, it's Andy all the way--particularly after his loss to Fed at Wimby.

Kworb
08-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Murray is too ugly. And not the kind of ugly where you pity him, just a completely revolting appearance. Combined with an ugly personality, ugly on court behavior and ugly tennis, no one will ever root for him, especially not Americans.

Chip_s_m
08-23-2009, 06:43 PM
I tell ya what. I think for sure Americans respect Roger. And yeah, the average sports fan might root for him.. because he's the best.

But if some unknown challenger--some really likeable "Rocky-like" character breaks through, a lot of people will root for an upset.

I think if somebody like Hewitt or Haas manages to make it to final.. (I'm not sure about the seeding..just hypothetical) then I think Americans would root for the underdog.

I think a lot of Americans would root for del Potro! He's got just a gentle demeaner. I bet he could win some fans.

Now if Andy Roddick makes it to the finals, it's Andy all the way--particularly after his loss to Fed at Wimby.

Good point. Isner had a lot of support against Fed in 2007. The underdog American will always have fans. But any other underdog who's cool will quickly make fans too.

Snoo Foo
08-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Muzzah is in big fucking trouble (http://www.boycottscotland.com/).

edit: oh shit (http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/39Boycott-Scotland39-bid-to-brand.5578581.jp)

FedFan_2007
08-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Americans love dominant champions - and Federer has always been very kind to New York.

rocketassist
08-23-2009, 06:47 PM
You poor Yanks need to get over it- Federer is European and always will be, he will never ever do an Ivan Lendl.

andylovesaustin
08-23-2009, 06:49 PM
You poor Yanks need to get over it- Federer is European and always will be, he will never ever do an Ivan Lendl.

Get over what? :lol:

Sapeod
08-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Probably Federer, but Murray is liked a lot over in America too.

Burrow
08-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Federer has been very kind to new york? how?

Ivanatis
08-23-2009, 06:52 PM
If Murray had a big lead over Federer, they would root for Federer to help him get back into this match.

If Federer had a big lead over Murray, the crowd would be cheering for Fed in order to mirror his greatness. They would also try to help Murray a bit, but by far not to the extent they would, when it's the other way around.

andylovesaustin
08-23-2009, 06:57 PM
What I really love is the night matches! I love the USO crowd getting a little liquored up, not being able to control themselves! :lol:

I remember a number of years ago, seeing the late JFK, Jr. sitting in the stands in a business suit, like he'd just got off work to come to Open.:sad:

Ah.. USO night matches-- gotta love em..

Who know what could happen at one of those! Things can change so fast just depending upon the mood of the crowd..

jrm
08-23-2009, 06:59 PM
No one likes twats

Guy Haines
08-23-2009, 07:33 PM
No.

freeandlonely
08-23-2009, 07:39 PM
I even doubt they will rather root for Roddick than Federer.

l_mac
08-23-2009, 07:43 PM

I'm pretty certain they would root for Roddick.

Rafa = Fed Killa
08-23-2009, 07:48 PM
US would cheer for Fed. US and France tennis fans are the 2 most pussy whipped tennis fans by Fed.

Dont forget the cheating the tourny and classless fans did for Fed last year.

andylovesaustin
08-23-2009, 07:49 PM

Believe me, many of us will root for Roddick. Granted he can be difficult, but he won A LOT of American fans after his loss at Wimby v Roger.

I think even casual tennis or sports fans could feel Roddick's pain. So..if it comes down to Roddick v Federer, and Andy gets close... a number of Americans will be rooting for him.

Of course..if Andy acts like a jerk.. well then he might turn even the American crowd against him.

No, IF and that's a BIG IF Andy can make it into the finals, he'll have the majority support. But Roger is always going to have his fans, too. Plus, New York is such an international city..it won't be just Americans in the crowd anyway.

Chiseller
08-23-2009, 07:55 PM
America would love to kick your psycho arse.

freeandlonely
08-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Anyway, I guess they will at least ACCEPT if Roger won.
(I'm not saying Roger will definitely beat Roddick if they meet)

Surely not like they against Nole in 2008.
(I know Nole himself is resposible for part of that)
Surely not like they against Nalby in 2003.

Chiseller
08-23-2009, 07:56 PM

That's a good one too. You gotta love MTF.

HattonWBA
08-23-2009, 08:55 PM
They would root for Federer

alphaape
08-23-2009, 09:05 PM
this was kind of answered last year. i was at the final, and the crowd was pretty much pro fed.

safin-rules-no.1
08-23-2009, 09:07 PM
No one likes twats

:)

Deejay
08-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Federer will be the most heavily supported player at the US Open. In other sports the underdog would be cheered for alot more, but in tennis the crowd usually roots for the 'big name'. You'd think that the crowd in NY would cheer for roger's opponents a bit more, the guy's won it like 6 years in a row it would be great for the sport if we had a new champ

KarlyM
08-23-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm a bit confused by the question. :scratch:

If you are talking about the American crowds at the USO, I think the only way a majority wouldn't support Federer is if Roddick or Nadal were in the final (Nadal would get as much support as Fed, and Roddick would get a majority). No offense, but Murray is a boring personality. USO crowds like to be entertained. Murray would have to find a way to entertain the crowd and be "out there" to get the crowd behind him (like in his match against Gasquet at Wimbledon last year ;)).

If you are talking about American sports fans in general (not the ones attending the tournament), probably 90% of them won't even know the tournament is going on. :lol:

The USO crowd wants to be entertained. This is why guys who are interesting, such as Safin, Hewitt, and Kuerten have strong fanbases. No one knows who Davydenko is for this reason. Even Santoro won a bunch of fans during his match with Blake in 2007. Djokovic had this going for him until he threw that hissy fit last year because the crowd was *shockingly* rooting for Roddick. It'll be interesting to see how they treat him this year. Very true. ;) About the last part, I don't think Djokovic will be booed this year unless he gives them a reason to - he's been rather quiet in 2009. I don't really blame him for throwing the hissy fit last year because he was probably frustrated that some of the drunks in the crowd kept yelling out when he was trying to serve. :rolleyes: But he did go too far with that rant - but that was a long time ago, who cares. :)

moonlightdance
08-23-2009, 09:49 PM

he's more goat than american or swiss. goes better with the wine.