Tennis players using mainly their non-dominant hand in tennis [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tennis players using mainly their non-dominant hand in tennis

Nidhogg
08-23-2009, 01:06 PM
I know what hand you use for certain things is no straight forward subject, but still, I'm trying to put together a list of pro tennis players under the category in the title, so feel free to help me out if you want to. Judging by those few that I know of it's more common for lefties to play righthanded than vice versa, presumably due to cultural reasons or whatever it may be. It's a fair guess that balance will shift with left-handedness being more accepted now than in the past, and players like Nadal being successful.

Out of these guys, three use a one-handed backhand. Moya and Acasuso have quite good serves, while Rosewall's serve was not exactly one of his strengths. His BH, however, is legendary. Nadal saves breakpoint after breakpoint with the guessing game of slicing his serve wide to a righty's BH and on occasion going up the middle on the ad court. He also has his heavy spun CC FH, reaping the benefits of it's consistency and efficiency as it goes towards a righty's BH.

From left to right:

Ken Rosewall

Carlos Moya

Jose Acasuso

Luis Horna(?)

Mathieu Montcourt

Robin Haase

From right to left:

Rafael Nadal

Nicolas Devilder(?)

Name ém if you got ém, both past and present. There must be loads more. What advantages and disadvantages can you think of for this bunch?

Truc
08-23-2009, 01:34 PM
I don't think he really was left hand dominant, but Mathieu Montcourt wrote with the left hand and played tennis right-handed.
(Is that what you want to know? I see you edited your post in the meantime.)

And I've heard it's the same (the other way around) for Nicolas Devilder, but I'm not completely sure about that one.

Nidhogg
08-23-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't think he really was left hand dominant, but Mathieu Montcourt wrote with the left hand and played tennis right-handed.
(Is that what you want to know? I see you edited your post in the meantime.)

And I think it's the same (the other way around) for Nicolas Devilder, but I'm not completely sure about that one.

All such examples are welcome.

Nidhogg
08-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Robin Haase writes with his left and plays right-handed with a DH BH. I think he has a pretty decent serve, though I haven't seen him play that often.