Djokovic vs. Nadal in hard court TMS/Masters 1000 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Djokovic vs. Nadal in hard court TMS/Masters 1000

Leo
08-23-2009, 04:02 AM
2007 Indian Wells F: Nadal def. Djokovic 6-2, 7-5
2007 Miami QF: Djokovic def. Nadal 6-3, 6-4
2007 Canada SF: Djokovic def. Nadal 7-5, 6-3
2008 Indian Wells SF: Djokovic def. Nadal 6-3, 6-2
2008 Cincinnati SF: Djokovic def. Nadal 6-1, 7-5
2009 Cincinnati SF: Djokovic def. Nadal 6-1, 6-4
Added- 2009 Paris SF: Djokovic def. Nadal 6-2, 6-3

OWNAGE.

For Nole, facing Rafa at a hard court TMS is like his little spoonful of sugar. And in terms of today's result, it is exactly what the doctor ordered after months of lackluster results for the Serb.

If the idiots in tennis who want Slams to go best-of-3 get their way (i.e. Jon Wertheim), Nole would be aided the most. I could imagine boat loads of Slams for him in that world where fitness matters significantly less. But it will never happen.

Collective
08-23-2009, 04:04 AM
Such a shame TMS/1000 tournaments are so clownish and don't really care

Leo
08-23-2009, 04:11 AM
I guarantee that Nadal cares about getting spanked so consistently. :lol:

Laba
08-23-2009, 04:18 AM
Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump.

HKz
08-23-2009, 06:15 AM
They have only played on hardcourts during Master Series events, but it also does give a better idea if they were to ever meet in a Grand Slam on hardcourts...

GlennMirnyi
08-23-2009, 06:55 AM
We're lucky elephants are not carnivorous. If they were, we'd be in big, big trouble.

Arkulari
08-23-2009, 06:59 AM
can rhinos jump? :scratch:

Laba
08-23-2009, 07:29 AM
Yes, it's common for them to jump in water yet I don't think kangaroos and emus can walk backwards.

Oh, and in regards to the actual thread topic... at least Nadal has beaten Djoker three times on his best/preferred surface. Nole can't say the same in return as the closest he's gotten is having three MP's in Madrid this year in a match which Rafa played poorly in for the most part. Two from two on grass as well. ;)

stebs
08-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump.

We're lucky elephants are not carnivorous. If they were, we'd be in big, big trouble.

Yes, it's common for them to jump in water yet I don't think kangaroos and emus can walk backwards.

Interesting stuff.

If elephants are the only ones that can't jump. Must be quite a sight to see a giraffe leaping off the ground. That has to be youtubed.

Elephants are just monsters, anyone read the kids classic 'jungle book'. Hathi is a seriously cool character.

On topic, Djokovic > Nadal on HC if it's head to head. Why leave it only to 1000 events though? Olympics should be counted as well making it a little closer.

l_mac
08-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Rafa vs Nole in "big matches", regardless of surface (Finals/Slams/chance to play for Olympic Gold)

Nadal def Djokovic 6-4 6-4 (RET) RG 06 (Clay)
Nadal def. Djokovic 6-2 7-5 IW 06 Final (Hard)
Nadal def. Djokovic 7-5 6-4 6-2 RG 07 (Clay)
Nadal def. Djokovic 3-6 6-1 4-1 (RET) Wim 07 (Grass)
Nadal def. Djokovic 6-4 6-2 7-6 RG 08 (Clay)
Nadal def. Djokovi 7-6 7-5 Queens Final (Grass)
Nadal def. Djokovic 6-4 1-6 6-4 Olympic SF (Hard)
Nadal def. Djokovic 6-3 2-6 6-1 MC 09 Final (Clay)
Nadal def. Djokovic 7-6 6-2 Rome 09 Final (Clay)

rhinooooo
08-23-2009, 01:07 PM

I jump out of bed in the morning, so yes.

rubbERR
08-23-2009, 01:07 PM
this is why nole is not back, he owns nadal hardcourts anyway :lol:

stebs
08-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Rafa vs Nole in "big matches", regardless of surface (Finals/Slams/chance to play for Olympic Gold)

Nadal def. Djokovi 7-6 7-5 Queens Final (Grass)
Nadal def. Djokovic 6-4 1-6 6-4 Olympic SF (Hard)

IMO these two losses plus Madrid loss are defeats that hurt Djokovic the most. I think he really expected to win Queens match but in the end Nadal was very strong on big points and Djokovic gave up a lot of chances as well. In Olympics Djokovic played very well for a period but couldn't keep it up and also missed a very easy smash on MP to give away the match.

Surprising that the two haven't actually played a full non clay slam match considering how well both have done in those events.

Vida
08-23-2009, 03:05 PM
IMO these two losses plus Madrid loss are defeats that hurt Djokovic the most. I think he really expected to win Queens match but in the end Nadal was very strong on big points and Djokovic gave up a lot of chances as well. In Olympics Djokovic played very well for a period but couldn't keep it up and also missed a very easy smash on MP to give away the match.

Surprising that the two haven't actually played a full non clay slam match considering how well both have done in those events.

add to that their match at the French last year. djoko was coming off a surprisingly solid showing in Hamburg and many predicted "yes he can" win in France. he himself probbly. but it must have become quite clear that the momentum he was building first half of the year was about to get derailed. so Queens loss wasn't that surprising.

this years Madrid was a hammer whose effects go beyond djoko-rafa dynamics.

BigJohn
08-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Djoko is therefore the real #1 on hard courts since he owns Nadal who is not #1 only because he is injured.

serveandvolley80
08-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Nadal even beats these players on their best service because players today are so weak mentally.

Watch a lot of these matches with Novak and hes got the lead or the first set in a big portion of them, what happens? chokes it all away.

Same with Federer, break points against nadal, leads against nadal, all choked away.

Nadal's mental game is probably the greatest we will ever see, no doubt about that, he may not be the most talented but his determination and physical ability gets him through it.

I used to think Federer was the strongest mentally on tour, until he ran into a guy that makes him look like any other player at times.

That being said, i truly believe that on hardcourt, if any of the current top 6 all the way down to Del Potro do not collapse mentally they can all beat Nadal easily on hardcourt, even at Nadal's best. But there is just something about his game that grinds away at his competition. Maybe its all the break points he gives and takes away, because that would piss me off too.

The current crop of players are not patient, they try to do to much or win the point too fast sometimes when Nadal starts moon balling and the rally gets long, i find Murray as a player that has the perfect tactics against him.

Novak is pretty weak upstairs, but he is still young look at how long it took guys like Agassi to develop more strength between the ears.

rubbERR
08-23-2009, 03:16 PM
:haha:

ballbasher101
08-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Nadal even beats these players on their best service because players today are so weak mentally.

Watch a lot of these matches with Novak and hes got the lead or the first set in a big portion of them, what happens? chokes it all away.

Same with Federer, break points against nadal, leads against nadal, all choked away.

Nadal's mental game is probably the greatest we will ever see, no doubt about that, he may not be the most talented but his determination and physical ability gets him through it.

I used to think Federer was the strongest mentally on tour, until he ran into a guy that makes him look like any other player at times.

That being said, i truly believe that on hardcourt, if any of the current top 6 all the way down to Del Potro do not collapse mentally they can all beat Nadal easily on hardcourt, even at Nadal's best. But there is just something about his game that grinds away at his competition. Maybe its all the break points he gives and takes away, because that would piss me off too.

The current crop of players are not patient, they try to do to much or win the point too fast sometimes when Nadal starts moon balling and the rally gets long, i find Murray as a player that has the perfect tactics against him.

Novak is pretty weak upstairs, but he is still young look at how long it took guys like Agassi to develop more strength between the ears.

One of the best posts I have read on MTF in a while :wavey:.

Langers
08-23-2009, 04:03 PM
If the idiots in tennis who want Slams to go best-of-3 get their way (i.e. Jon Wertheim), Nole would be aided the most. I could imagine boat loads of Slams for him in that world where fitness matters significantly less. But it will never happen.
Agree with this, Djokovic is a gun in best of 3 tennis and would stand to gain the most if this ever happened. Won't though.

Burrow
08-23-2009, 04:29 PM
One of the best posts I have read on MTF in a while :wavey:.

No, all of your posts completely shine, your tennis knowledge is extraordinary. :worship:

Sunset of Age
08-23-2009, 04:31 PM

Let's hope so... :scared:

l_mac
08-23-2009, 04:47 PM

Agreed. I don't remember Nole giving up a lot of chances though ... maybe early in the first set he could have gone two breaks up while he was on fire and Rafa was still playing clown tennis. Rafa saved his best for the important points. Nole's play when he was MP down was also stupid :lol:

Maybe they'll play the final of USO.

:spit:

add to that their match at the French last year. djoko was coming off a surprisingly solid showing in Hamburg and many predicted "yes he can" win in France. he himself probbly. but it must have become quite clear that the momentum he was building first half of the year was about to get derailed. so Queens loss wasn't that surprising.

I don't think many people gave him a chance against Nadal in a match at RG, especially considering Rafa's form at RG last year. A clay loss is easier to shake off, particularly one like that. Nole was nowhere near him.

I think the Queens loss was much worse. I'm sure he favours himself over Rafa on faster surfaces.

abraxas21
08-23-2009, 05:15 PM
2007 Indian Wells F: Nadal def. Djokovic 6-2, 7-5
2007 Miami QF: Djokovic def. Nadal 6-3, 6-4
2007 Canada SF: Djokovic def. Nadal 7-5, 6-3
2008 Indian Wells SF: Djokovic def. Nadal 6-3, 6-2
2008 Cincinnati SF: Djokovic def. Nadal 6-1, 7-5
2009 Cincinnati SF: Djokovic def. Nadal 6-1, 6-4

OWNAGE. LOPSIDED.

For Nole, facing Rafa at a hard court TMS is like his little spoonful of sugar. And in terms of today's result, it is exactly what the doctor ordered after months of lackluster results for the Serb.

Why count only the TMS? Nadal also beat Novak in the semis of the Beijing Olympics so all in all, Novak is 5-2 vs Nadal on hardcourts. That's still a pretty good record, though.

l_mac
08-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Why count only the TMS? Nadal also beat Novak in the semis of the Beijing Olympics so all in all, Novak is 5-2 vs Nadal on hardcourts. That's still a pretty good record, though.

5-3 if you count Shanghai 07 :D

Leo
11-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Bump. Edited. Now 6-1 to Djokovic in hardcourt TMSes.