Why does Nadal play always the evening? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why does Nadal play always the evening?

Surcouf
08-22-2009, 08:51 PM
This is becoming annoying for european (majority of his fans I guess) fans who want to see his matchs. In Canada and United States, he is always the last to play. 2/3 at Montreal and now 3/4 at Cincinnati while Federer, Murray and Djokovic play all their matchs during the day.

The whole idea of evening/night session is retarted in my opinion, just put match after match. Don't freeze the tournament during 3 hours. But if this idea is adopted, at least change the player who plays the evening or the night. Don't put always the same player.

What is the problem? Federer, Djokovic and Murray do not pull TV ratings? Is there a reason?

Black Adam
08-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Excitin players will always get night sessions regardless of what other fans in other countries think.

Black Adam
08-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Exciting players will always get night sessions regardless of what other fans in other countries think. Their main priority is to entertain fans in the stadium not tv viewers.

Bargearse
08-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Federer prefers playing during the day and probably has enough influence with those that do the scheduling to see it his way.

HKz
08-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Because Nadal is out of shape and needs the cool air to allow him to ran down every ball without getting overheated.

rafa the best
08-22-2009, 09:09 PM
This is becoming annoying for european (majority of his fans I guess) fans who want to see his matchs. In Canada and United States, he is always the last to play. 2/3 at Montreal and now 3/4 at Cincinnati while Federer, Murray and Djokovic play all their matchs during the day.

The whole idea of evening/night session is retarted in my opinion, just put match after match. Don't freeze the tournament during 3 hours. But if this idea is adopted, at least change the player who plays the evening or the night. Don't put always the same player.

What is the problem? Federer, Djokovic and Murray do not pull TV ratings? Is there a reason?

That's what I read from a woman who talked to some TV people there.

holagirl56
08-22-2009, 09:11 PM
I think Rafa is requesting night sessions.

l_mac
08-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Federer prefers playing during the day and probably has enough influence with those that do the scheduling to see it his way.

Federer said he has made no requests during Cinci.

Skyward
08-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Because other players are more fit to play in the heat.

n8
08-22-2009, 11:58 PM
I've noticed that aswell. Asuming it's the same as in Australia, they just put the most marketable match on at night because of the television ratings. I remember that Rafter complained about always being put in night matches at the Austrlian Open.

betowiec
08-23-2009, 04:45 AM
Because other players are more fit to play in the heat.

:D

FedFan_2007
08-23-2009, 05:35 AM
Oh god, such retarded responses in this thread. As if Rafa could ask them for a night match.

Laba
08-23-2009, 05:41 AM
As if he'd request to play Nole at night when he'd have a better shot at winning during the day...

freeandlonely
08-23-2009, 05:56 AM
Cuz Murray's tooth is a little hard to sell in night session.

Laba
08-23-2009, 05:58 AM
But he punches his strings, yo... cut up knuckles = too thuggish for primetime television.

FedFan_2007
08-23-2009, 06:12 AM
But he punches his strings, yo... cut up knuckles = too thuggish for primetime television.

:haha: the idea of Murray as a thug. :haha:

tangerine_dream
08-23-2009, 06:41 AM
My guess is we can blame all this on Murray. The US-UK broadcasters have loose reciprocal agreements where certain players are scheduled for optimal exposure in their home countries. In the US it's best that Murray play in the afternoon so that his UK fans can watch his matches at a decent hour.

It'll be interesting to see how Murray's scheduled at the USO when many more foreign broadcasters are lobbying for their players to play at certain times.

Bargearse
08-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Federer said he has made no requests during Cinci.

I think it was Fred Stolle commentating at last year's US Open who said Federer does not like to play at night. Who knows where he gets his info. :shrug: Maybe I'll ask Roger myself the next time I see him. :rolleyes:

It's probably not such a big deal to play at night at a Master's event that doesn't feature women so Federer probably didn't make any special requests at this tournament. But at the US and Aus Open, the men have to endure the manure that is women's tennis and also possible rain delays* before they can take the court which can make for a long night/early morning, so it wouldn't surprise me if Federer makes those requests at the slams.

*US Open