So when can Rafa go back to number 2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

So when can Rafa go back to number 2

JackPumpkinHead
08-22-2009, 07:51 PM
now that Murray has not defended his title in Cincy.

uNIVERSE mAN
08-22-2009, 07:53 PM
if he wins the title

JackPumpkinHead
08-22-2009, 07:56 PM
So if Fed wins the Rafa stays at 3. Well Go Fed, but it sucks the guy with a slam is behind a guy who just has some masters titles.

DorianGray7
08-22-2009, 07:57 PM
In all likelihood it will be a classic Nadal vs. Federer Final tomorrow unless Nadal is so out of shape he can't even beat The Joker tonight.

HKz
08-22-2009, 07:59 PM
So if Fed wins the Rafa stays at 3. Well Go Fed, but it sucks the guy with a slam is behind a guy who just has some masters titles.

It does seem unfair, but again rankings points are from a years worth and Murray has done a solid job of being consistent throughout the past year in overall tournaments even though his Grand Slam appearances haven't been spectacular. Plus it would be unfair and quite strange if all you needed to do was do well in Grand Slams and your ranking will stay up.

Sunset of Age
08-22-2009, 08:01 PM
At least Fed did all that was in his might to Restore The Order today.
Should Rafa win his semi tonight, I don't expect he'll be as helpful tomorrow, but who knows... :)

;)

ballbasher101
08-22-2009, 08:02 PM
I can't see Nadal beating the Djoker and Federer back to back. If Nadal reaches the final Federer will be eager to put one over him before the US open.

amonb
08-22-2009, 08:04 PM
It does seem unfair, but again rankings points are from a years worth and Murray has done a solid job of being consistent throughout the past year in overall tournaments even though his Grand Slam appearances haven't been spectacular. Plus it would be unfair and quite strange if all you needed to do was do well in Grand Slams and your ranking will stay up.Yeah. Ferrero should be no.3 and Hewitt no.4. Is Thomas johansson still about??? I love it how master series matter all of a sudden!!!

JackPumpkinHead
08-22-2009, 08:23 PM
i didnt say the ranking wasnt right just odd not having nadal above murray. Im sure by years end everything will be where it needs to be

amonb
08-22-2009, 08:26 PM
i didnt say the ranking wasnt right just odd not having nadal above murray. Im sure by years end everything will be where it needs to beWhat Rafa as No.1???

feuselino
08-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Federer could lose to Nadal on purpose and thus ensure that Nadal won't be on his side of the draw in New York, hehe... but he didn't win 15 slams by running from challenges, so it won't happen...

lessthanjake
08-22-2009, 08:41 PM
If Nadal wins, then the final would actually matter. The only knock on Federer is his head to head with Nadal. In some ways, then, MM tournament matches against Nadal matter more than winning more slams without playing Nadal in them. So I don't think Federer woudl tank to get Nadal on teh other side of the draw.

JackPumpkinHead
08-22-2009, 08:43 PM
What Rafa as No.1???

No Rafa as No. 2

Del_Toro
08-22-2009, 09:20 PM
If Nadal wins, then the final would actually matter. The only knock on Federer is his head to head with Nadal. In some ways, then, MM tournament matches against Nadal matter more than winning more slams without playing Nadal in them. So I don't think Federer woudl tank to get Nadal on teh other side of the draw.

Another deluded RafitoTARD, perhaps?
So in your own words Federer would prefer to win Cincy beating Nadal, than winning the USOpen if Nadal fails(again) to make the finals?:retard:

Then, according to your "logic", Fed's victory in Madrid over Nadull mattered more than his sixth crown at Wimbledon???
That's BS! :cuckoo:

Fiberlight1
08-22-2009, 10:04 PM

Maybe now.. After he collected the 15th slam.. his main focus should be to make the h2h against Nadal a little less lopsided.

Sunset of Age
08-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Roger on who he'd like to prefer playing tomorrow:

On who he wants to play tomorrow: "I'd like to play Rafa just because he's been hurt. It's always nice seeing a guy back at the top right away again.... I hope he's feeling well now. At the end of the day, he's a great player and an unbelievable competitor. Of course I would like to play him. He's still got some work to do. I'm there already waiting. Maybe it's gonna happen."

"Sure, Rafa has caused more problems in the past, but I also played him about, I don't know, 12 to 13 times on clay which didn't help my head-to-head. I've had better matches with Rafa than with Novak in the past."

:D

n8
08-22-2009, 10:23 PM
He wants to play Nadal alright. I remember in the 2006 Australian Open, Federer wanted to play Nalbandian in the final (instead of Baghdatis). His reason? He had a bad head-to-head record against Nalbandian (6-4 to Nalbandian at the time).

whattheheck
08-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Fed likes to play Rafa because he's not at his best yet and has some more work to do, so he knows he can beat him.

n8
08-22-2009, 10:49 PM
It will be so funny if Nadal wins Cincy, Murray goes back to 3 and doesn't return to the top 2. He'll then hold the record for shortest time at number 2.

River
08-23-2009, 12:40 AM
I never liked how a GS was the end-all-be-all decision for determining rankings.

If that was the case, then screw all the other tournaments and just let them play Grand Slams why don't you, no?

Murray got his #2 spot fair and square. Just cause he didn't win a GS doesn't mean anything..

...for a #2 spot.

Now if it's the #1 spot THEN its a little Bullshit. But for #2, well, the Masters Series events are the #2 tournaments to the Grand Slams, so yeah, it's not so bad.

rjmartin
08-23-2009, 01:02 AM
Screw you all the 'Murray Haters'

Now Nadal has been beaten Murray will remain 2 and be seeded 2 at the US Open

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Laba
08-23-2009, 01:06 AM
Screw you all the 'Murray Haters'

Now Nadal has been beaten Murray will remain 2 and be seeded 2 at the US Open

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Congrats, brah.

Bolton'sBastard
08-23-2009, 01:14 AM
I never liked how a GS was the end-all-be-all decision for determining rankings.

If that was the case, then screw all the other tournaments and just let them play Grand Slams why don't you, no?

Murray got his #2 spot fair and square. Just cause he didn't win a GS doesn't mean anything..

...for a #2 spot.

Now if it's the #1 spot THEN its a little Bullshit. But for #2, well, the Masters Series events are the #2 tournaments to the Grand Slams, so yeah, it's not so bad.

I disagree completely.

Apemant
08-23-2009, 01:18 AM

Precisely. Ivanisevic held the #2 spot for several months without winning a GS at that time. And it was during the 'strong' era of '90s. :)

Gaudio2004
08-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Precisely. Ivanisevic held the #2 spot for several months without winning a GS at that time. And it was during the 'strong' era of '90s. :)

Rios held the #1 for a couple of weeks and he didn't win a Slam, either.

Skyward
08-23-2009, 01:24 AM

I think Rios was No1 without winning a GS title in the 90s.

Del_Toro
08-23-2009, 01:26 AM
It will be so funny if Nadal wins Cincy, Murray goes back to 3 and doesn't return to the top 2. He'll then hold the record for shortest time at number 2.
Kinda funny to read this after seeing how Djokovic thrashed Nadull easily in straight sets.

Sorry Rafa fanboys but IMO Nadal right now should be more worried about improving his game than on his ranking.
If he plays at Flushing Meadows like he did today, then his ranking will mean nothing.

Sunset of Age
08-23-2009, 01:33 AM
YUCK. :(

Anyways.... shit happens.

philosophicalarf
08-23-2009, 02:12 AM
So, uhhhhh, correct me if I'm wrong (Alcccccccohol cloud), but I think that puts them on....

Murray 9610 -1400 last year UO = 8210
Nadal 9025 -900 last year UO = 8125

So Nadal needs to go a round further at the US to get back number 2. If not, might need to wait till TMC, where Murray defends 600 and Nadal has zippo.