Cincinnati Qtr Final: A. Murray beats J. Benneteau 4-6, 6-3, 6-1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Cincinnati Qtr Final: A. Murray beats J. Benneteau 4-6, 6-3, 6-1

DrJules
08-21-2009, 06:24 PM
Murray not convincing all match, but always felt his experience would see him to victory.

Fiberlight1
08-21-2009, 06:24 PM
I actually believed JB had a shot at 6-4 2-0

Sapeod
08-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Come on Muzza!!!!!

rubbERR
only matter of time when murray starts losing these average players again. :lol:

Dini
He's got a walkover to the final. :p

Clydey
Apart from the third set, that was a horror show from Murray. I suppose he can be forgiven a bad match. He was due one.

Voo de Mar
08-21-2009, 06:26 PM
I didn't expect Butthead would lose a set to Benneteau :o Anyway lucky tournament for the Frenchman, should be very happy.

habibko
a performance worthy of the real #1, Simon Reed approves.

Burrow
hilarious match, 40 ue from murray when he was pushing like hell :lol:

Sapeod
only matter of time when murray starts losing these average players again. :lol:
What do you mean again? Idiot :silly: He'll never lose to average players these days, you bumbling oaf :retard: :retard:

rjmartin
Well done Muzza :)

Did anyone else notice booing at the end of the match?

mateusz2904
08-21-2009, 06:27 PM
luckily for him, he woke up at the right moment... GL in semifinal;)

Arkulari
08-21-2009, 06:28 PM
NID, but Muzza looked vulnerable there :o

if Roger gets past Hewitt, he'll still lose to Muzza, but the guy isn't looking as strong as he did last week ;)

Corey Feldman
08-21-2009, 06:29 PM
a win is a win now, #2 seeding for US Open comes even closer :D

of course now that Muzza has won, we know Fed will bomb out :lol:

rocketassist
08-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Murray playing at 30% for two sets wins, definitely more evidence of the clowns below the top players.

MIMIC
08-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Awful match. Neither deserved to win.

The umpire should have called this pushing fest a draw.

Serenidad
I am dying to see Hewitt/Murray.

Come on Lleyton beat Frauderror.

green25814
Deliberate first set tank by muzz to suck excalibur into betting

rubbERR
08-21-2009, 06:31 PM
What do you mean again? Idiot :silly: He'll never lose to average players these days, you bumbling oaf :retard: :retard:

only matter of time when he starts doing that, now take it personal level again and i can laugh :lol:

DrJules
08-21-2009, 06:32 PM
a performance worthy of the real #1, Simon Reed approves.

Tennis wise it was not, but yes becoming number 1 is about winning these sort of matches. Lower ranked players when a set and break down will lose and stay ranked lower.

Andi-M
08-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Murray :eek:
Serve 2/10
Return 3/10
FH 5/10 ( OK considering its not so great anyway)
BH 5/10
Determination 10/10

Benneteau played very well :)

scoobs
08-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Bloody lousy performance from Murray - got better as Benneteau wilted, which may not be a coincidence.

Still, he battled through, the W is the main thing.

Benneteau played a good set and a bit and deserved credit for that - he had some help but he was reading Murray's every move, attacking the second serve and the forehand.

Corey Feldman
08-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Deliberate first set tank by muzz to suck excalibur into betting:haha:

tennishero
08-21-2009, 06:37 PM
another very defensive match from murray, the best retriever on tour no doubt. hopefully he'll wear himself out for USO.

Sapeod
08-21-2009, 06:38 PM
only matter of time when he starts doing that, now take it personal level again and i can laugh :lol:
I'm sorry. But I can't understand what you're trying to say here :silly: Bad English :lol:

Are there any players you like? Del Potro. Any more? or are you just an average everyday troll?

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
08-21-2009, 06:39 PM
and people used to say that Andy Murray was a pusher who didn't have the heart to win anything other than MM tourneys

i'm glad today changed that perception

malisha
08-21-2009, 06:39 PM
solid training session for Andrew

Sunset of Age
08-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Horrible first set from Murray. Okay, JB did well, but was actually allowed by Muzza to do so, as Muzza himself did nothing else than hand over gazillions of UEs. :tape:

The neverending-rally that ended with a break by Murray in the second set marked this match's turn-over. JB's gaz ran out and Murray easily took the second set. From then on, cruise-control.

Very, very strange match from him though. As if he, just like Feds against Ferrer, wasn't really there for at least 1 set and a couple of games... very passive, very defensive, very ABSENT.
So not as invulnerable as I thought yesterday.

Congrats, Muzza. :hatoff:

Serenidad
Not even a lot of clowns want to come in here and face posting after the clownery in the WWW thread.

Good job, Andrew. Dying to see you play Hewitt.

HeretiC
We are not having a good tournament quality wise, yesterday the wind probably ruined most of the matches, but this match was just plain and simple bad play on a club level. I hope the rest of the matches will save the day.

malisha
08-21-2009, 06:42 PM
We are not having a good tournament quality wise, yesterday the wind probably ruined most of the matches, but this match was just plain and simple bad play on a club level. I hope the rest of the matches will save the day.

match?

it was a semi intense training for Andrew

scoobs
08-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Cincy is rarely a feast of good tennis in my recollection - the combination of heat, humidity and a fast surface seem to throw a lot of players off their stride.

Guga_fan
08-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Was Benneteau playing like that to get to the quarters? That match was awful, Murray couldn't have played worse.

DrJules
08-21-2009, 06:45 PM
John McEnroe fancies Andy Murray to win US Open:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/20082009/58/open-mcenroe-murray-roddick-open.html

HeretiC
08-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Cincy is rarely a feast of good tennis in my recollection - the combination of heat, humidity and a fast surface seem to throw a lot of players off their stride.

Could be also 2 MS in a 2 week span and a closeness of a slam contributing to that too.

scoobs
08-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Could be also 2 MS in a 2 week span and a closeness of a slam contributing to that too.
Yeah it all combines, I think, to make this event a bit of a letdown - the Canadian tournament is nearly always better in terms of entertainment in my book.

peribsen
08-21-2009, 06:55 PM
For much of the match it looked like Mirray could drown in the eau of Benneteau!

Never understood why they have LL until today. Bring a couple of guys who are desperate enough to have their day, and you may come up with some surprises, or at least a good fight.

Hey, this guy is ranked in the 50s, hadn´t even qualified, is asked in and ends up rocking nr2 in a QF! Great day for him. Of course, his chance was due to Murray having a bad day, but that is the only possible way someone like Benneteau may surprise one of the big guys. What I know, many better men than Benneteau would have stopped fighting far earlier, but this frenchie didn´t, he may not be a wonderful player, but he fought to the end. Good for him. For me, he is today's heroe.

batavlada
08-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Benneteau - WTA.

selyoink
08-21-2009, 06:59 PM
You know you're a pusher when Julien Benneteau is the one dictating play. Abysmal stuff from the world #2 as well as his mug opponent.

Fiberlight1
08-21-2009, 07:02 PM
You know you're a pusher when Julien Benneteau is the one dictating play. Abysmal stuff from the world #2 as well as his mug opponent.

The amount of total pushing in this match was terrible. It was pretty much impossible to determine who was the aggressor about 90% of the time.

fast_clay
08-21-2009, 07:07 PM
murray not up for this at all... like, AT ALL... though, he 'scrapes thru'.... ummm... as per usual...

ok... anyone see a pattern here...?

Leo
08-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Murray was flat today, but it's not like Benneteau is a great match-up for Murray, game-wise. Benneteau doesn't possess a dumb ballbasher game that Murray can outsmart. For a set and a half, Murray was being beaten at his own game.

Murray's fitness is scary good these days. So improved from a year ago, and three years ago. His legs are so THICK.

kisen
08-21-2009, 07:12 PM
With that kind of forehand Murray will need to have a lot of luck (like Djokovic had) to win a grandslam. He is not defensive because he wants to, he just doesn't have any other choice.

Clydey
08-21-2009, 07:16 PM
With that kind of forehand Murray will need to have a lot of luck (like Djokovic had) to win a grandslam. He is not defensive because he wants to, he just doesn't have any other choice.

Tell that to Nadal. That "kind of forehand" hit Nadal off the court in last year's US Open.

Leo
08-21-2009, 07:16 PM

Yes, Cincinnati is a terrible city for tennis in August because of weather and because the American audiences there would rather be watching NASCAR. :o

Get ready for joint men's/women's events in Cincy starting next year. Lots of TV coverage of crappy tennis in crappy heat. Whoop. They should have selected San Diego as the city to host a men's Masters 1000/women's Premier 5. Or perhaps that venue overall and its main stadium aren't quite large enough, but still San Diego deserves important tennis at this time of year.

hilluis
08-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Was Benneteau playing like that to get to the quarters? That match was awful, Murray couldn't have played worse.

Benneteau's last match was over 3 hours....cant have had much left.

roberthenman
08-21-2009, 08:03 PM
Come on Andy :rocker:

amonb
08-21-2009, 08:16 PM
NID, but Muzza looked vulnerable there :o

if Roger gets past Hewitt, he'll still lose to Muzza, but the guy isn't looking as strong as he did last week ;)It's gotta be quite difficult to get up for a game like this so it's i'm not that suprised by the scoreline. I don't think any of the top players are really that fussed about this week. It's all about the big one coming up!!!

HattonWBA
08-21-2009, 08:36 PM

Talk about an over reaction, and also what do you mean by AGAIN?, like 2 years ago was when he was losing to average guys. Anyway good win for Muzza, nothing wrong with winning when playing shit, lots of players would love to be able to do it.

The Freak
08-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Benneteau's overhead :spit:

tangerine_dream
08-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Murray still in the bad habit of loudly cheering his opponents' errors. He's all class and maturity, this wanker. Let's see him try that against Nadal or Fed.

Drusilla
08-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Murray still in the bad habit of loudly cheering his opponents' errors. He's all class and maturity, this wanker. Let's see him try that against Nadal or Fed.

"Cheering"?

If you mean going "C'mon" when winning games, saving break points etc...then he is indeed guilty.

I've never heard him 'cheer' though.

Oh...and I and many others would probably go "come on" too on such ocassions.

I'm sorry it offends your sensibilities so...

Go watch cricket m'dear.

Ooops...they celebrate opponent 'errors' too...

Hmm...croquet or something then?

You make it sound like Murray has his hands in the air going "YAAAAY" when the opponent double faults or whatnot...absolute nonsense.

decrepitude
08-21-2009, 09:33 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Drusilla again

scoobs
08-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Andy was a bit out of order today - I think cheering an opponent's double fault is really pushing it.

If he really doesn't care, fair enough, but it does cost him fans I think.

Drusilla
08-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Andy was a bit out of order today - I think cheering an opponent's double fault is really pushing it.

He never 'cheered' the fault.

What is the point to you Scoobs?

Can you ever give a tennis view with any passion?

You are so desperate to appear 'balanced' with every compliment you scurry back to the fence with a disclaimer.

As I said several months ago...this is all you ever do!

Really feel some passion and run with it...you sound like a robot.

Gaudio2004
08-21-2009, 09:40 PM

Just another reason why people on MTF hate Andy Murray.

Dini
08-21-2009, 09:42 PM
I do recall a c'mon after Benny DF'd. Didn't he? Was I imagining that? :o

scoobs
08-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Nope. He did. He just goes overboard with it sometimes.

But then it's his career - if he doesn't care about the negativity that behaviour will generate, it's up to him.

I don't like it but it's not enough to put me off supporting him.

Andi-M
08-21-2009, 09:43 PM

I agree its not very sportsmanlike for Andy to do that. I am not bothered by it myself but it dosent do much for his image.

Drusilla
08-21-2009, 09:44 PM

Is that deemed cheering now? :rolleyes:

We'd better ban all c'mon's in all sports as that's bad sportsmanship!

Listen to yourselves.

It's a professional game of endevour and passion...not a park knock about.

Get some perspective...

He said "C'mon"....boo hoo.

Certinfy
08-21-2009, 09:45 PM
If Muzza did that, im proud of him. The French mug annoyed me with his reactions against GGL.

scoobs
08-21-2009, 09:45 PM
He never 'cheered' the fault.

What is the point to you Scoobs?

Can you ever give a tennis view with any passion?

You are so desperate to appear 'balanced' with every compliment you scurry back to the fence with a disclaimer.

As I said several months ago...this is all you ever do!

Really feel some passion and run with it...you sound like a robot.
He c'moned after a double fault.

c'mon....cheering...it's semantics. he made an audible expression on his opponent's double fault. I don't like that.

As for the rest, it's nothing to do with anything.

Clydey
08-21-2009, 09:49 PM
If Muzza did that, im proud of him. The French mug annoyed me with his reactions against GGL.

Me too. He acted like a **** to the ball kids, too.

Arkulari
08-21-2009, 09:53 PM
I don't mind when Murray cheers for his own winners, he can scream come on everytime he wants on those, but I don't like when he cheers on his opponents DFs :shrug:.

And it goes for every player, Benneteau was a d-bag on the GGL match :shrug:

Drusilla
08-21-2009, 09:54 PM
He c'moned after a double fault.

c'mon....cheering...it's semantics. he made an audible expression on his opponent's double fault. I don't like that.

As for the rest, it's nothing to do with anything.

It's NOT semantics scoobs as there's really no issue with the definitions.

He said "C'mon"...that's in no way the same as 'cheering' an error.

One is a statement that can only pertain to self...the other an exclamation to others.

I doubt he was attempting to inspire his opponent with those words.

It's 2009...we've long lost the airs and graces of 'English', gentlemanly sportsmanship.

It's a cut-throat, professional game...he didn't call out to his opponent (as some do), he didn't mock his opponent (as some do), he uttered two words to himself...that can only apply to himself.

If people find this offensive then god help them but I can respect that.

They should not be supporting Andy Murray though.

Food for thought.

fast_clay
08-21-2009, 09:58 PM
its all personal interpretation...

and for me personally, i like to see a bit of mongrel... if julian had any mongrel he'd step up and serve an unreturnable and do it back...

whattheheck
08-21-2009, 09:59 PM
He will still win tomorrow.

scoobs
08-21-2009, 10:01 PM
It's NOT semantics scoobs as there's really no issue with the definitions.

He said "C'mon"...that's in no way the same as 'cheering' an error.

One is a statement that can only pertain to self...the other an exclamation to others.

I doubt he was attempting to inspire his opponent with those words.

It's 2009...we've long lost the airs and graces of 'English', gentlemanly sportsmanship.

It's a cut-throat, professional game...he didn't call out to his opponent (as some do), he didn't mock his opponent (as some do), he uttered two words to himself...that can only apply to himself.

If people find this offensive then god help them but I can respect that.

They should not be supporting Andy Murray though.

Food for thought.
I don't see it as any reason not to support Murray just because they don't like some aspects of his behaviour.

Supporting someone doesn't mean blindly appreciating everything about them. Well maybe it does to you. To me, the good about Murray outweighs the bad but when I see the bad I will call it.

I personally don't believe that the c'mon is aimed primarily at his opponent, he doesn't glare at them and shake his fist like, say, Serena does - but even so the timing of it on an opponent error still strikes me as a bit over the top and I'm not changing my view on that. It's not just about motivating himself, it is still sending a message down the other end at the same time. If he wanted solely to motivate himself there are quieter ways to do it than yelling out.

As for my passion:

C'MON MURRAY YOU FUCKING BEAUTY, CRUSH FEDERER AND WIN THE TOURNAMENT AND THE US OPEN!!!!

Or is it only passionate if you do it in bold italic? :D

Arkulari
08-21-2009, 10:01 PM
He will still win tomorrow.

I agree with you, and he'll win the day after that as well ;)

Drusilla
08-21-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't see it as any reason not to support Murray just because they don't like some aspects of his behaviour.

Supporting someone doesn't mean blindly appreciating everything about them. Well maybe it does to you. To me, the good about Murray outweighs the bad but when I see the bad I will call it.

I personally don't believe that the c'mon is aimed primarily at his opponent, he doesn't glare at them and shake his fist like, say, Serena does - but even so the timing of it on an opponent error still strikes me as a bit over the top and I'm not changing my view on that. It's not just about motivating himself, it is still sending a message down the other end at the same time. If he wanted solely to motivate himself there are quieter ways to do it than yelling out.

As for my passion:

C'MON MURRAY YOU FUCKING BEAUTY, CRUSH FEDERER AND WIN THE TOURNAMENT AND THE US OPEN!!!!

The italic's a cheap shot and a bit beneath you...but I'll let it go.

Yes..twas nice to see a bit of true passion from you...if nothing else, I've achieved that.

I've no wish for an argument so this is at an end for me - I do not dislike you as a person or as a poster...sometimes very insightful. I do think you do FAR to much fence-sitting however.

I will say one thing though...if you were offended by that...get ready to be offended a whole lot more by Murray. That is him.

I somewhat adore him for it and don't see it as a fault as I like passion in my players and though I think he oftens treads the line of fairplay - I've not seen him overstep it - unlike MANY.

I suppose you'll have to learn to live with it as a fan...and I'll continue admiring it.

scoobs
08-21-2009, 10:08 PM
The italic's a cheap shot and a bit beneath you...but I'll let it go.

Yes..twas nice to see a bit of true passion from you...if nothing else, I've achieved that.

I've no wish for an argument so this is at an end for me - I do not dislike you as a person or as a poster...sometimes very insightful. I do think you do FAR to much fence-sitting however.

I will say one thing though...if you were offended by that...get ready to be offended a whole lot more by Murray. That is him.

I somewhat adore him for it and don't see it as a fault as I like passion in my players and though I think he oftens treads the line of fairplay - I've not seen him overstep it - unlike MANY.

I suppose you'll have to learn to live with it as a fan...and I'll continue admiring it.

sweetie I've been following Andy since 2005 and I've long since made my peace with what bugs me about Andy and what doesn't, and I'm still here, "living with it"

As I said, the good more than outweighs the bad for me.

As for my "passion" that last post of mine proves nothing - just because I posted something supposedly passionate. Other times I don't but that doesn't mean you have clue 1 about my passion - I yell at the tv, I get caught up in the drama and I feel ambition on behalf of the players I support - it doesn't mean I need to make a lot of dumb crude posts to prove it to anyone.

habibko
08-21-2009, 10:12 PM

As for my passion:

*sigged*

scoobs
08-21-2009, 10:12 PM
:lol:

Drusilla
08-21-2009, 10:13 PM
sweetie I've been following Andy since 2005 and I've long since made my peace with what bugs me about Andy and what doesn't, and I'm still here, "living with it"

As I said, the good more than outweighs the bad for me.

As for my "passion" that last post of mine proves nothing - just because I posted something supposedly passionate. Other times I don't but that doesn't mean you have clue 1 about my passion - I yell at the tv, I get caught up in the drama and I feel ambition on behalf of the players I support - it doesn't mean I need to make a lot of dumb crude posts to prove it to anyone.

You protest too much.

I believed you first time.

Oh and no need for the 'sweetie'...I've been civil to you.

You were citing lack of respect after all...follow your own advice please.

scoobs
08-21-2009, 10:15 PM
You protest too much.

I believed you first time.

Oh and no need for the 'sweetie'...I've been civil to you.

You were citing lack of respect after all...follow your own advice please.
I felt your "get ready to be offended" was quite patronising, like I was learning some new facts today. I've seen Murray behave far worse than that on a tennis court already.

Is sweetie now a term of offence? Are these more semantics? :D

Drusilla
08-21-2009, 10:18 PM
I felt your "get ready to be offended" was quite patronising, like I was learning some new facts today. I've seen Murray behave far worse than that on a tennis court already.

Is sweetie now a term of offence? Are these more semantics? :D

Not really...

It's 2009...and we both are smart enough to know the context.

Just you call Venus 'sweetie' and see how she reacts...then you will have your answer.

habibko
08-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Drusilla :couple: scoobs

scoobs
08-21-2009, 10:20 PM
Not really...

It's 2009...and we both are smart enough to know the context.

Just you call Venus 'sweetie' and see how she reacts...then you will have your answer.
would it surprise you to learn I couldn't give a bugger how Venus would react?

Drusilla
08-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Drusilla:couple: scoobs

I'm genuinely not trying to argue out of spite.

I feel my points were valid and civily put.

Surely the point of here?

Drusilla
08-21-2009, 10:22 PM
would it surprise you to learn I couldn't give a bugger how Venus would react?

No. Not at all.

scoobs
08-21-2009, 10:23 PM
No. Not at all.
marvellous :D

Arkulari
08-21-2009, 10:23 PM
well Drusilla if you like that about Murray, it's very respectable and your own opinion, some of us don't like that about him and that's as much respectable as your opinion :yeah:

it's just a matter of taste and opinion ;)

Drusilla
08-21-2009, 10:25 PM
marvellous :D

I'm glad you admit it.

Be well.

Noleta
08-21-2009, 10:26 PM

Not the first time he done it sadly:sad:and it won't be the last time i'm affraid.

Drusilla
08-21-2009, 10:28 PM
well Drusilla if you like that about Murray, it's very respectable and your own opinion, some of us don't like that about him and that's as much respectable as your opinion :yeah:

it's just a matter of taste and opinion ;)

Yep...MrsFedex..it is.

And that's what makes the game great with so many characters.

I can understand fully why people dislike Murray.

But...if people claim him to be 'cheering' faults when he was not I will feel the right to point out he wasn't.

Yep..he did 'c'mons'...as would I and many others as he was closer to winning a tough game.

No problem.

If I saw Murray genuinely cheer at an opponents misfortune he'd never have my support again.

If c'mon=cheering then the sporting world will have serious issues.

He says c'mon when losing a big point - is that cheering too?

Strange argument and of course it's not - he's a vocal person (like many of us) and he uses it to gee himself up - good and bad. He aims it at himself and no-one else...

It's pure conspiracy theory that he does it to unsettle...if so..why do it when he loses a point?

Vida
08-21-2009, 11:07 PM
perhaps djoker and murray should trade bits of sportshmanship between one another. one's got too much, other too little.

LaneLS88
08-22-2009, 12:34 AM
Andy's greatest weapon is his ability to get into opponents' heads by shouting "c'mon" after every point he wins when he's down, regardless of whether or not it's his opponent who makes a mistake. Seriously, it happens all the time.... very annoying.

orangehat
08-22-2009, 01:24 AM
:spit: So much for Murray hype. Losing a set to benneteau :haha:

McAlistar
08-22-2009, 01:26 AM
Still its another MS semi final, the rise of Andy from good player to great since Wimbledon last year has been incredible. He is the Masters series king :)

paseo
08-22-2009, 02:36 AM
Didn't see this match, cos I thought Benneteau would get steamrolled.
Very excited to see the semis, now that Fed is also through.

If Murray lose in the semi, and Nadal wins the tournament, will Murray drop back to #3?

kisen
08-22-2009, 07:50 AM
perhaps djoker and murray should trade bits of sportshmanship between one another. one's got too much, other too little.

Are you sure? Djokovic is as honest as a politician. He has nothing to do with sportsmanship. Murray's c'mons can be pretty annoying, but I wouldn't call it unsportsmanlike behaviour.

Goldenoldie
08-22-2009, 09:21 AM
I only saw the first set and a half, and I thought Murray played his worst match since Indian Wells (where at least he had some excuse). What a load of carp!!

Obviously he must have pulled himself together at the back end of the second set, but if he plays anywhere near the standard I saw the H2H with Federer is going to get closer today.

As an aside, is there any way MTF can set aside a part of the forum where members can have a private "discussion" (aka slanging match) without taking up so much room in a tennis thread? Some are mildly interesting to read, but others are a waste of my time when I want to see opinions on TENNIS.

kisen
08-22-2009, 09:45 AM
I think that was a bad match from Murray, he can play much better, but it seems he has problems with good movers, who are able to defend well. I don't think Benneteau is a good match-up for him. He should be a little bit more concentrated at key moments, he could have an easier time with matches like this.

Smoke944
08-25-2009, 04:36 AM
Didn't get to see this but regardless I take back what I said about Benny...good effort here. :)