Handshake [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Handshake

Everko
08-21-2009, 12:09 AM
I think the end of game handshake traditioon needs to go the way of death. They are professionals competing for money. You don't see people who's business is run out of town shake the hand of the big corportaion that caused the to decline.

It's ludacrous and its rude.:mad: It needs to go, I am tired of the fake smiles and pats on the backs.

Agree with me?

Burrow
08-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Oh fuck off.

Everko
08-21-2009, 12:14 AM
Oh fuck off.

That ought to be more of the type of reaction after matches.

Would it be sensible for me and Burrow to shake hands after I defeat him in a debate? No. That's an example why my idea is good.

Burrow
08-21-2009, 12:15 AM
I agree, I think they should just fight.

Voo de Mar
08-21-2009, 12:24 AM
I think the end of game handshake traditioon needs to go the way of death. They are professionals competing for money. You don't see people who's business is run out of town shake the hand of the big corportaion that caused the to decline.

It's ludacrous and its rude.:mad: It needs to go, I am tired of the fake smiles and pats on the backs.

Agree with me?

I disagree. Firstly they don't compete only for money, secondly it's rather a normal thing that you handshake greeting or farewelling whit someone.

green25814
08-21-2009, 12:28 AM

Agree with me?

Clearly you are an asshole loner

chenx15
08-21-2009, 12:30 AM
how about the hug after boxing and UFC? or karate and judo in the olympics?

Everko
08-21-2009, 12:32 AM

Maybe you can live in a desert for the 1st 15 16 years of your life and die along in the sand and get your remains clupde together with a camel.

I am saying that if they don't want to shake hands they shouldn't. If they are buddies, go ahead.

Voo de Mar
08-21-2009, 12:35 AM
I am saying that if they don't want to shake hands they shouldn't. If they are buddies, go ahead.

And no problem with that. Kohlschreiber didn't handshake with Wawrinka last year in Madrid and one week ago they played together doubles in Montreal...

green25814
08-21-2009, 12:43 AM
Maybe you can live in a desert for the 1st 15 16 years of your life and die along in the sand and get your remains clupde together with a camel.

Fair enough

What makes you think this is the case though?

GlennMirnyi
08-21-2009, 12:47 AM
Can you be more retarded than this?

partygirl
08-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Tennis is more aristocratic in origin than most sports & it is a GAME after all.

I prefer it be civilized, to an extent
(i enjoy temper tantrums)at least in terms of rules/etiquette you are free to do it or not but there is a way it should be done....

Lose the handshakes- yes, replace them with hugs and kisses on the mouth.;):lick:

Everko
08-21-2009, 01:39 AM
Ok maybe they can make up in the locker room or even later. They shouldn't hold grudges forever. But asking players to shake hands directly after the end of a match is a bit much. Especially at the end of a close match and emotions are still very high and competitive. Some players can't swallow their dissapointment immediately (Ferrer at FO vs Soderling smashing rackets after match point). I am actually surprised more things like that don't happen after close and brutal contests.

GlennMirnyi
08-21-2009, 01:40 AM
It's tradition.

If you don't like it, go follow football.

Sunset of Age
08-21-2009, 01:42 AM
KingFederer, is that you? :wavey:

Everko
08-21-2009, 01:44 AM
It's tradition.

I do follow football. Last time I checked Algeria was topping their qualifying group.

They do the same thing except even worse by exchanging jerseys.

Calidreth
08-21-2009, 01:47 AM
Most handshakes are pointless or done without any thought, but the time when they are done respectfully it truly is something to see. In the end it may be a profession to them but it cannot be argued that tennis is also a game. Whether it is chess, tennis, a video game, or even tic-tac-toe, any game that involves competition should require a farewell greeting at the end.

Everko
08-21-2009, 01:49 AM
Most handshakes are pointless or done without any thought, but the time when they are done respectfully it truly is something to see. In the end it may be a profession to them but it cannot be argued that tennis is also a game. Whether it is chess, tennis, a video game, or even tic-tac-toe, any game that involves competition should require a farewell greeting at the end.

agree. Thats why I respect Djokovic. His are always genuine, even in loss. I have no problems with the genuine ones.

GlennMirnyi
08-21-2009, 01:54 AM
I do follow football. Last time I checked Algeria was topping their qualifying group.

They do the same thing except even worse by exchanging jerseys.

Then go follow football and stop annoying us.

MacTheKnife
08-21-2009, 02:12 AM
It is one of the great traditions of the game. Tells you a bit about ones character, one way or the other.

chammer44
08-21-2009, 02:14 AM
It should lose it's perfunctory aspect,definitely. I mean seriously, when Soderling shakes hands with Nadal, it has fallen to the depths of hollow ritual.

Refusal to shake hands should not be taboo. But I see no reason for eliminating the practice generally. If both players want to express their mutual respect for each other, nothing should bar them from doing so.

HKz
08-21-2009, 03:11 AM
...The topic about having only one serve off was hilarious enough. Now this? Again, how about playing tennis with no rackets? It is ludicrous to use rackets in tennis!

Tennisman82
08-21-2009, 06:40 AM
agree. Thats why I respect Djokovic. His are always genuine, even in loss.

That's true. Whether in defeat or victory he always takes time at the net to praise or console his opponent, and he always gives a proper firm handshake, or tries to.

I have no problems with the genuine ones.

Agreed. It's not too often you see half-assed ones anyway as most players are courteous and respectful.

Tennisman82.

Doomach777
08-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Oh fuck off.

I disagree. Firstly they don't compete only for money, secondly it's rather a normal thing that you handshake greeting or farewelling whit someone.

Can you be more retarded than this?

thats it

ballbasher101
08-21-2009, 06:57 AM
It's tradition.

In football players and managers shake hands after the match so I don't know where you are coming from. Actually shacking hands is very common in a lot of sports.

Goldenoldie
08-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Anything which contributes even a microscopic amount to goodwill gets my vote every time. I like sports like rugby where every member of a team shakes hands with every member of the opposing team.

duong
08-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Of course it's a very good sporting tradition (like in volley-ball) (and players should never refuse a handshake in my opinion) but players have become very hypocritical about that in last two years

... and more importantly fans have become stupid about that, interpreting that too much : this one is nice because he congratulates the other one cheerfully and so on.

Djokovic was the first one to start that, it was clearly a marketing way in the beginning.

He has calmed that (like other marketing things he did in the past) since then,

but other players have taken the relay about that.

It's good to shake hands, but they could do it more simply and sincerely ... unless it's players like Tsonga and Simon who are really good friends, or players who have had a past together like junior competitions.

whattheheck
08-21-2009, 08:17 AM
It's called courtesy.

ShotmaKer
08-21-2009, 09:20 AM
:silly:

Bargearse
08-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Lose the handshakes- yes, replace them with hugs and kisses on the mouth.;):lick:

And the obligatory pat on the bottom.:)

Tutu
08-21-2009, 11:59 AM
:lol: All the ATPs just bumlick each other, I wish there was drama at the net a la Patty schnyder. :rocker2:

bokehlicious
08-21-2009, 12:35 PM
This everko used to be all red :yeah: who the hell did goodrep that one? :confused: :retard:

mandeep
08-21-2009, 03:46 PM

Agree with me?

I am going to go out on a limb and say you have never ever played a sport or never played a sport for the right reasons.

out_here_grindin
08-21-2009, 09:19 PM
I am going to go out on a limb and say you have never ever played a sport or never played a sport for the right reasons.

That's a bit harsh, maybe he isn't a nice guy in general.

FedFan_2007
08-21-2009, 09:25 PM
It's a fine tradition and I hate spoiled sports.

andylovesaustin
08-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Oh fuck off.

:lol:

What's wrong with shaking hands after a sporting event. Tennis isn't the only sport where competitors shake hands after competing.

Don't competitors from all sports shake hands, hug or something after an event?:confused:

Football players pat each other on the butt after a great play! :shrug:

And tennis players say good shot.. or applaud..

Shaking hands is ok.

Acer
08-21-2009, 09:31 PM
It's neither a war nor a feud. Piss off with this silly excuse for a thread.

Ilovetheblues_86
08-21-2009, 10:55 PM
It should lose it's perfunctory aspect,definitely. I mean seriously, when Soderling shakes hands with Nadal, it has fallen to the depths of hollow ritual.

When Nadal shakes hands with Söderling maybe, because Söda has nothing against Nadal.
And surprisingly I agree with the OP, I see nothing wrong in the non-shaking hands at the end of a match :). But I also see nothing wrong in shaking when its genuine so, shake or not shake, that´s the question.

Chiakifug
08-21-2009, 11:00 PM
Stop acting like a miserable little whiny bitch. You take yourself way too seriously.

mateusz2904
08-21-2009, 11:02 PM
i think it's good tradition, i can't imagine end of the match without it.

Tzar
08-21-2009, 11:07 PM
it's not like handshakes are mandotory so stfu :)

fast_clay
08-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Y_GJkKMPHxw&feature=related

leng jai
08-22-2009, 12:13 AM
They should have an arm wrestle on top of the net cord.

Burrow
08-22-2009, 12:31 AM
A Canas vs Simon arm wrestle would be intense.