Has Davydenko become more aggressive in 2009? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Has Davydenko become more aggressive in 2009?

rofe
08-20-2009, 11:44 PM
This year, especially after his injury, he seems to have started playing a lot more aggressive. He seems to be going for his shots more (and making more UEs in the process), is coming in to volley a lot more (his stop volleys are actually decent now) and in general is trying to finish off rallies a lot faster. He also seems to have incorporated some topspin into his shots and added variety that way.

In fact, he seems to be very comfortable coming in on a decent approach shot - something I thought he would never do.

I remember him being the quintessential ball machine - counter-punching for the most part until last year.

Thoughts?

Ilovetheblues_86
08-20-2009, 11:49 PM
I think I never watched him playing before. TV Boycott?

PiggyGotRoasted
08-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Indeed, his net play has improved a lot

Fiberlight1
08-21-2009, 12:12 AM

You're slacking on updating your avy PGR ;)

Burrow
08-21-2009, 12:19 AM
He has been quite aggressive for the last few years, certainly more aggressive than he was in 03-05, a lot of the time he doesn't get as much credit as he deserves in this light. He's no grinder, not anymore, anyway.

GlennMirnyi
08-21-2009, 12:26 AM
He's a ballbasher.

Everko
08-21-2009, 12:40 AM
He's an angler

Deivid23
08-21-2009, 12:46 AM
My thought is most of you Fedtards should stick to analyze Federer´s haircuts/twins/Gillette ads. Hope this helps

rofe
08-21-2009, 12:48 AM
My thought is most of you Fedtards should stick to analyze Federer´s haircuts. Hope this helps

My thoughts is that you should stick to keeping your face in Nadal's ass. Hope that helps.

rofe
08-21-2009, 12:53 AM

Agreed. He seems quite comfortable with coming in and using fairly effective stop volleys.

Deivid23
08-21-2009, 12:54 AM
Okay, parrot. I will answer more seriously to your BS thread:

No, he hasn´t. He´s playing the same he´s been playing during years, no matter he has mastered a bit one kind of volley (he did it in 2008 btw) u tool :lol:

rofe
08-21-2009, 01:02 AM
Okay, parrot. I will answer more seriously to your BS thread:

No, he hasn´t. He´s playing the same he´s been playing during years, no matter he has mastered a bit one kind of volley (he did it in 2008 btw) u tool :lol:

Don't think so clown. He has started trying to add more power to his strokes and thinking about how to end the point quicker. Aggressiveness doesn't just mean coming into the net and by the way, he has started feeling more comfortable around the net and is actively looking to come in unlike last year even if he did know how to execute the stop volley.

abraxas21
08-21-2009, 02:24 AM
as far as i recall, davydenko has always been a pretty aggressive player. certainly never a 'counter puncher' as you put it.

his net play might have improved a bit, though.

jmsx521
08-21-2009, 04:03 AM
He is more aggressive and powerful now, but I think that's also due to the more powerful racket he switched to in Miami 2008. Remember when he won the whole tournament with one racket (because it was only a demo racket that Prince did for him)? So, to me Davydenko's 2.0 game began in March 2008. With the new game, he has dropped a little the level of his overall consistency, but when his game is on, then the results speak for themselves... you can remember what he did to Verdasco at Roland Garros this year! By the way, thanks for starting a thread for somebody other than Federer and Nadal!

HKz
08-21-2009, 04:09 AM
His net game has certainly improved which is why he seems more aggressive. But to me he is still playing the same baseline game he has been known for, maybe coming in on more balls, but remember since 2000, staying on the baseline is being aggressive, not coming to the net. Apparently coming to the net these days means you're an idiot.

Leo
08-21-2009, 04:35 AM
He has been quite aggressive for the last few years, certainly more aggressive than he was in 03-05, a lot of the time he doesn't get as much credit as he deserves in this light. He's no grinder, not anymore, anyway.

Well said. He hasn't been a counter-puncher since 2005. For several years he has been a hard hitter who goes for his shots. Not sure why tennis critics and commentators have been confused/misled about this guy for so many years.

straitup
08-21-2009, 04:44 AM
Well said. He hasn't been a counter-puncher since 2005. For several years he has been a hard hitter who goes for his shots. Not sure why tennis critics and commentators have been confused/misled about this guy for so many years.

I definitely agree...I want to scream at the TV when commentators say that because he's a very aggressive player.

rofe
08-21-2009, 04:52 AM

I am not sure. He has never actively looked to shorten points before. He has always been a clean hitter of the ball and likes to take the ball on the rise but I don't remember him forcing the issue with his game on a regular basis. His game is more about yanking his opponent around until the opponent slows down in the rally for an easy put away. Rinse and repeat.

Nowadays, I see him actively trying to shorten points by adding more power to his shots, or coming in on approaches or trying to hit winners from a neutral position in the back of the court. I don't remember him doing that even last year. He did start using the stop volley last year but he has used it a lot more this year.

CyBorg
08-21-2009, 06:04 AM
Simon is a counterpuncher. Davydenko is downright aggressive and I agree that he's been so for a while. This is largely why he's so frustrating to watch on off-nights, because when his timing is off it's maddening to tolerate his errors.

Fiberlight1
08-21-2009, 06:08 AM
I definitely agree...I want to scream at the TV when commentators say that because he's a very aggressive player.

Remember the Miami 2008 final where he just blew Nadal off the court by being very aggressive?

Tennisman82
08-21-2009, 06:48 AM
Remember the Miami 2008 final where he just blew Nadal off the court by being very aggressive?

Yup. That was one of his best matches ever.

Davydenko has always been a talented player. I'd liked to have seen him develop a more aggressive serve. It’s modest and breakable, but on a good day very effective and consistent.

Tennisman82.

ballbasher101
08-21-2009, 07:15 AM
To me Davydenko has always been an aggressive player. Is he more aggressive now?, maybe. As you get older you can't afford not to be more aggressive because living with the young guys from the baseline is tough. I find it funny that Roddick has become a pusher as he has gotten older.

Action Jackson
08-21-2009, 07:47 AM
You are about 4 years too late with this observation.

HattonWBA
08-21-2009, 08:00 AM
I would say he is more agressive given his ability to finish of at the net now whereas before he had to hit clean winners from the baseline given his problems at volleying and although the technique on the volleys are not excellent he has improved so much in that area, he also seems to be more agressive off the 2nd serve return, not much difference than the last couple of years in agression but before that he has certainly got more agressive as the years have gone on.

HattonWBA
08-21-2009, 08:01 AM

Totally agree but when i saw him against Murray he does seem to be playing with more agression even though he is a very offensive baseliner anyway.

Deivid23
08-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Don't think so clown. He has started trying to add more power to his strokes and thinking about how to end the point quicker. Aggressiveness doesn't just mean coming into the net and by the way, he has started feeling more comfortable around the net and is actively looking to come in unlike last year even if he did know how to execute the stop volley.

:retard: WTF r u on? :lol:

Deivid23
08-21-2009, 11:50 AM
I am not sure. He has never actively looked to shorten points before. He has always been a clean hitter of the ball and likes to take the ball on the rise but I don't remember him forcing the issue with his game on a regular basis. His game is more about yanking his opponent around until the opponent slows down in the rally for an easy put away. Rinse and repeat.

Nowadays, I see him actively trying to shorten points by adding more power to his shots, or coming in on approaches or trying to hit winners from a neutral position in the back of the court. I don't remember him doing that even last year.

I really see you think you´re not bullshitting and you´re convinced about it :lol:

Just went through some of his results at 2005, for instance, you can take a look at this match I remember clearly:

2005 ATP Masters Series Hamburg
Germany Clay R16 Davydenko, Nikolay
3-6, 6-2, 6-1 Stats

Now, after watching it, come back here saying Daydenko has become more aggressive than this :lol:

Julio
08-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Davydenko ? More agressive. It could be. Just ask Betfair about market liquidities when his name is involved. :lol:

Deivid23
08-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Davydenko ? More agressive. It could be. Just ask Betfair about market liquidities when his name is involved. :lol:

:haha:

Forehander
08-21-2009, 01:56 PM
He is indeed. The way he takes the ball so early allows him alot of room for improvement. I've always liked his game. The more aggressive he becomes the better.

rofe
08-21-2009, 04:18 PM
I really see you think you´re not bullshitting and you´re convinced about it :lol:

Just went through some of his results at 2005, for instance, you can take a look at this match I remember clearly:

2005 ATP Masters Series Hamburg
Germany Clay R16 Davydenko, Nikolay
3-6, 6-2, 6-1 Stats

Now, after watching it, come back here saying Daydenko has become more aggressive than this :lol:

There is no way to watch it. Post a link to that match. Look at this clip Burro. On the second point, Davydenko comes in pretty early in the rally something I don't think he did in 2005. This is from Hamburg 2009 against Ferrer.

oMLMhmEXK88

Burrow
08-21-2009, 04:40 PM
rof, the video means nothing. So what if he attacked a short ball? Do you think he hasn't done that at all since he was 5 years old?

Kolya
08-21-2009, 04:43 PM
IMO Davydenko has always been aggressive.

But only since last year, he has been more willing to move into the net when he faces a short ball.

His volleys have improved, he does have a good short volley or when the ball is low. But however he still struggles with those above shoulder height volleys.

Burrow
08-21-2009, 05:03 PM
I remember him coming into the net as much as he does now since like 2007. :confused:

rofe
08-21-2009, 05:03 PM
rof, the video means nothing. So what if he attacked a short ball? Do you think he hasn't done that at all since he was 5 years old?

In this example, he is actively moving in on an approach after attacking the short ball. He used to normally stay back and try to go for a winner.

Leo
08-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Remember his 2006 AO QF against Federer? He went after Fed big time and was the more aggressive player from the baseline. His errors and lack of belief on big points lost him that match and perhaps that title.

Deivid23
08-21-2009, 05:30 PM
There is no way to watch it. Post a link to that match. Look at this clip Burro. On the second point, Davydenko comes in pretty early in the rally something I don't think he did in 2005. This is from Hamburg 2009 against Ferrer.

There´s surely one way to watch that match in torrent or sth, search for it if you´re interested then you´ll see some of the most aggressive baseline game you´ll ever see from him. About coming in, I told you he has mastered a bit one kind of volley since last year, that doesn´t make him more aggressive though. Stop with this BS thread ffs :lol:

anon57
08-21-2009, 05:40 PM
I think Davydenko is less reluctant to come into the net compared to earlier years but don't think he's playing a lot more aggressive. He's been one of the more aggressive baseliners on tour for a couple of years:shrug:.

Burrow
08-21-2009, 05:41 PM
In this example, he is actively moving in on an approach after attacking the short ball. He used to normally stay back and try to go for a winner.

Load of bullshit. Nothing else to say. I don't think you've watched much of him to be honest, stick to kissing Federer's arse.