What happened to Andy Roddick? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What happened to Andy Roddick?

Ichiban1920
08-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Why has he become such a mug pusher? What happened to his power serve/forehand game from 2003/2004?

Fiberlight1
08-20-2009, 07:07 AM
He changed when the overall style and shot selection of the game changed.

Heners
08-20-2009, 07:13 AM
before he ONLY had the huge serve but know hes working on other aspects of his gameplay to make him better ;)

Ichiban1920
08-20-2009, 07:17 AM
before he ONLY had the huge serve but know hes working on other aspects of his gameplay to make him better ;)

Before he had a huge serve and one of the biggest forehands in the game which he could hit winners from the back of the court from that wing, something he can't even come close to doing nowadays.

Nothing has improved in his game. His volleys are still average, his backhand still sucks, and still no return of serve.

chjossic
08-20-2009, 07:38 AM
I think he is still progressing... he could me much fresher than a guy like Del Potro for the US.
I hope to see him in the last few days of the Open.

General Suburbia
08-20-2009, 07:58 AM
The game has changed, and Andy has changed along with it.

Ichiban1920
08-20-2009, 08:10 AM
The game has changed, and Andy has changed along with it.

How has the game "changed" have anything to do with Andy's inability to win baseline rallies? Not everyone's a mug pusher like what Andy's become.

whattheheck
08-20-2009, 08:23 AM
His serve doesn't work as well at night, so if organizers want to have a greater chance of him losing, they'll put him at night matches all the time.

McAlistar
08-20-2009, 11:08 AM
His forehand looks really forced and unatural, its amazing the difference between his massive serve and his meek ground strokes.

Dini
08-20-2009, 11:33 AM
He hit an amazing forehand down the line against Federer in their QF encounter in Madrid 2nd set TB this year. :worship:

Bargearse
08-20-2009, 11:33 AM
I think it has to do with Larry Stefanki. When Stefanki coached Gonzalez, he put more thought into his game rather than just belting the shit out of the ball. Same with Roddick. Not just bashing it, but working on other areas of his game and playing smarter tennis.

Like Gonzalez, with Stefanki, Roddick made a GS final. Just couldn't quite get there.

Haelfix
08-20-2009, 11:43 AM
He lost that big forehand under Jimmy Connors. Its far more spinny now. I don't know if its intentional, or whether its gone for good.

His backhand has improved though. I never saw him hit the ball from that wing that cleanly, as evidenced at Wimbledon this year, He actually made the Federer match competitive.

In an ideal world I would have kept the improved movement and backhand, and gone back to the 03 forehand, but sometimes tradeoffs dont work that way.

Julio
08-20-2009, 01:01 PM
He is not playing that bad these months. I mean, it's not like he would be a genius. His only GS title was against a "mug" on HC in 2003.

rubbERR
08-20-2009, 01:06 PM
you stupid tools, roddick has been doing great this season and one loss because he was fatigued doesnt change anything, and im not roddick fan...just sad to see this kind of bs.

he is making results so obviously his current playingstyle is working fine.

tennishero
08-20-2009, 01:23 PM
clown thread. expected from ichitard.

Heather1229
08-20-2009, 02:14 PM
As an Andy fan, thank you Rubberr. From previous posts I know you are clearly not an Andy fan but at least you too can recognize he was ill yesterday and that even though he lost ONE match he has had an incredibly good season.

orangehat
08-20-2009, 03:02 PM
The state of tennis. When pushing starts winning matches, everyone pushes.

green25814
08-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Roddick is still shit, but i will admit his backhand has improved recently.

rocketassist
08-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Roddick's forehand disappeared in 2006.

No one can say he's playing better now than he did in 2003. If he was at that level, he'd be no 1 quite easily at this point now.

Johnny Ice
08-20-2009, 03:49 PM
he was clearly not feeling well last night. Still in great form overall. Surprising he took an in-form Querrey to two tiebreakers without being 100 percent.

Ichiban1920
08-20-2009, 03:58 PM
LMAO at all the clowns coming in here defending him based on last night's match. No surprise morons like Rubberr and Tennishero decided chime in. Have you fanboys been watching Andy Roddick over the past couple years? This has nothing to do with last night's match. He's been a mug pusher since 2006, that's the big issue I have with him, not last night's match.
His forehand is a joke when it was once a weapon.

sammy01
08-20-2009, 04:46 PM
this thread is very last year. if anything roddick has been putting more on his shots this year and his backhand has improved.

his scheduling is still crap though, 20 year old del potro realised he should withdraw this week because of overplaying, roddick played and lost.

Ichiban1920
08-20-2009, 05:02 PM
He has put more on his shots, yet he gets outhit from the back of the court twice in succession this year by Del Mugro.

sammy01
08-20-2009, 05:30 PM
He has put more on his shots, yet he gets outhit from the back of the court twice in succession this year by Del Mugro.

thats del potro's game though, theres no other way for him to play given his size. roddick yes plays more passively these days compared to 2003 (hes more proactive than last year though) but if pushed roddick could go for it again, but his style right now is giving him top 5 results, something at his age im sure hes happy with.

syc23
08-20-2009, 05:52 PM
He's a fucking prick of the highest order for collapsing against Fed in the Wimbledon final. Epic choke.

federersforehand
08-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Where'd that come from o.O ??

Tennisman82
08-20-2009, 06:56 PM
He lost that big forehand under Jimmy Connors. Its far more spinny now. I don't know if its intentional, or whether its gone for good.

His backhand has improved though. I never saw him hit the ball from that wing that cleanly, as evidenced at Wimbledon this year, He actually made the Federer match competitive.

In an ideal world I would have kept the improved movement and backhand, and gone back to the 03 forehand, but sometimes tradeoffs dont work that way.

In hindsight Roddick shouldn’t have changed his game in 2005 and introduced more spin (more loopy forehand and serve) but back then it made sense because of the mounting losses towards the end of 2004.

I think he’s now back to his 2003/2004 level. Stefanki has made him more fitter and mobile, too. The execution of his groundstrokes and especially the b/h is significantly better and his serve is once again deadly.

He hasn’t had the best summer hardcourt season though, probably still struggling to come to terms with the Wimbledon final loss.

Tennisman82.

River
08-20-2009, 07:33 PM
LMAO at all the clowns coming in here defending him based on last night's match.

>> then wtf was this thread for?

Oh, I get it.

"Everyone who wants to bash the shit out of Rodduck come here so we can all bash him together. Everyone else who has a sense of LOGIC, don't come here unless you add the words 'Roddick' and 'piece of shit' together."

Stupid ass thread with a stupid ass topic. If he had stayed with the power serve-to-power forehand, the words "one-dimensional" would have been said so much people would have shot themselves. Stuff like that isn't going to beat the majority of the top 10 anymore and he knows that; he needs variety.

As noted, every time he changes a coach he reaches a GS final because he gets something new. He's reached a final for every year since his USO win except in 07 and 08.. I mean damn, what more could you expect from a guy who didn't start out with the tools other had? Unofortunately he lost his forehand but I really think he gained more as a result. He's in the Top 5, after all. His serve is still there, and he's converting BPs more often.

Ichiban1920
08-20-2009, 07:49 PM
In hindsight Roddick shouldn’t have changed his game in 2005 and introduced more spin (more loopy forehand and serve) but back then it made sense because of the mounting losses towards the end of 2004.

I think he’s now back to his 2003/2004 level. Stefanki has made him more fitter and mobile, too. The execution of his groundstrokes and especially the b/h is significantly better and his serve is once again deadly.

He hasn’t had the best summer hardcourt season though, probably still struggling to come to terms with the Wimbledon final loss.

Tennisman82.

How is he back to the 2003/2004 level when he still can't even hit winners from the back of the court from his forehand?

Ichiban1920
08-20-2009, 07:52 PM
>> then wtf was this thread for?

Oh, I get it.

"Everyone who wants to bash the shit out of Rodduck come here so we can all bash him together. Everyone else who has a sense of LOGIC, don't come here unless you add the words 'Roddick' and 'piece of shit' together."

Stupid ass thread with a stupid ass topic. If he had stayed with the power serve-to-power forehand, the words "one-dimensional" would have been said so much people would have shot themselves. Stuff like that isn't going to beat the majority of the top 10 anymore and he knows that; he needs variety.

As noted, every time he changes a coach he reaches a GS final because he gets something new. He's reached a final for every year since his USO win except in 07 and 08.. I mean damn, what more could you expect from a guy who didn't start out with the tools other had? Unofortunately he lost his forehand but I really think he gained more as a result. He's in the Top 5, after all. His serve is still there, and he's converting BPs more often.

:lol:

He's gained nothing since changing coaches, he's still currently a one-serve mug. All this talk about him "gaining" more is delusional. He's in the top 5 because he beats mugs with his all-serve/mug-pushing groundstrokes game, then reaches the quarters/semis/finals of tournaments and gets blasted off the court by top 10 players who don't let him get away with his mug-pushing.

Roddick needs to hit his forehand like he did or he'll never win a slam again.

Matt01
08-20-2009, 08:36 PM
He hit an amazing forehand down the line against Federer in their QF encounter in Madrid 2nd set TB this year. :worship:

Really? One good forehand in this year? :eek: Now that's impressive :yeah:

:lol:

Serenidad
08-20-2009, 08:49 PM
:spit: Be nice, Matt.

General Suburbia
08-20-2009, 08:55 PM
How has the game "changed" have anything to do with Andy's inability to win baseline rallies? Not everyone's a mug pusher like what Andy's become.
Andy learned tennis during a time when all you needed to win was a big serve and a putaway shot (big forehand or volley). Since then, the game has shifted towards a more defense-oriented game (heavier balls, slower courts, more emphasis on topspin) and Andy didn't have that. Watch towards the end of his decline when he still had that big forehand; he'd be hitting huge off that wing looking for the winner, and the opponent would not only get it back but place it well enough so that Roddick was totally out of position for the next ball. I admit that I sorely miss that big forehand of his, but the rest of his game (court positioning, backhand, etc) has thoroughly improved.

And Andy does win baseline rallies. The number of winners you get off the ground doesn't determine who wins or loses. Call it "ugly" tennis, but it works. Look at Murray (and I hate Murray).

Ichiban1920
08-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Murray has shown the ablility to play aggressive offensive tennis when he wants to. Look at the Nadull match last year at the US Open when Murray blasted him off the court. Roddick can't play anything close to that.

I don't care how defensive the game has become, you're not winning any majors by relying on only your serve and praying the opponent hits unforced errors during rallies. Roddick is no Nadull.

moon language
08-20-2009, 09:01 PM
The courts started slowing and he started losing, so he changed his game. His backhand is definitely improved, but considering how terrible it was that isn't saying much. Same can be said for his transition game.

General Suburbia
08-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Murray has shown the ablility to play aggressive offensive tennis when he wants to. Look at the Nadull match last year at the US Open when Murray blasted him off the court. Roddick can't play anything close to that.
You're ignoring all the other matches that Murray has played against Nadal and lost. Murray's tactics against the ball are basically "hit the ball as hard as you can," and yet he's only won twice out of the 9 times he and Nadal have played. Murray got to #2 in the world playing defense, not offense. Andy's staying in the top 10 for the same reason.

Corey Feldman
08-20-2009, 10:27 PM
hey OP, that pushing won him another plate