Time to discuss the inevatible - who will choke against Fed in US Open 2009? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Time to discuss the inevatible - who will choke against Fed in US Open 2009?

08-20-2009, 04:28 AM
We had the luxury of witnessing the greatest choke of all time up until that point at AO 2009, Bird Bitch blowing a 2 set to love lead against Federer and his epic volley at the net he missed to give away the crucial break in the 3rd set.

Just prior to that match we had the mini choke from Safin, foot fault in the third set TB. He could have got back into that match.

Then it got even better at FO 2009. Chokeasuso blowing god knows how many set points which could have eventually given him 2 sets to love lead against Fed in 2nd round.

And if this wasn't bad enough, we then had Tommy Ass choke big time, 2 sets to love up and 4-4 in the third set, he nets a forehand to give the break and the match away. Big time brain explosion.

THEN, we have in the Semi Final, the future GOAT Del Choke O, blow a 2 sets to 1 lead over Fed in the Semi. This should never have happened for someone as high ranked as Del Poni. Haas I can understand, Del Potro never.

And finally at Wimbleton we were treated to a masterful display as Roddick basically bowed down in the worst way possible on too many ocasions to recall. 2nd set tiebreak = chock. Rodchoke. Del Poni is a bit younger, but for someone with Roddicks experience (both age and wimbledon finals vs the same very man) this should never happen.

So will US Open eclipse FO?

Which players will bow down this time in New York?

Possible Candidates:

Clownga
Mugray
Nadull
Novak Chokovik
Almugro
H (ass) (guaranteed choke)
Rod-dick - half choke in 2007, unfinished business?
Juaan Carlos Fer Choko?
Jose Acuchoko
Igor Anchoke
Safchoke
Radek Stepachoke
Thomas Bird Shit-choke
Del Choke o

Infact the choking may have started as early as US open 2008 with Igor Andreev in the round of 16 matches, but I don't know if this quite qualifies as he was never in a position to take the match.

Also Murray Choking in the 2nd and 3rd sets US Open final 2008. I know he got a bad line call in the 2nd but he had 3 break points! Also in the 3rd set he was getting really good, a chokeish start to the set may have cost him a shot at the match.

These are some of the more prominent ones, many minor second set chokes were evident in the early rounds of slams in 08, Gonzalez and Monfees in FO 08 ring a bell. All a progression to the exagerated latter day choking. Feel free to list any other chokes.

Voo de Mar
08-20-2009, 04:35 AM
Chokovik

:haha:

Johnny Groove
08-20-2009, 04:39 AM
After watching the match with Tsonga, I think the real question is who Federer will choke against.

Arkulari
08-20-2009, 04:40 AM
what a jinxing thread :worship: :worship:

Jeu_Set_Match
08-20-2009, 04:58 AM
You will choke on your tea when you'll see Murray lifting the trophy.

MacTheKnife
08-20-2009, 05:03 AM
After watching the match with Tsonga, I think the real question is who Federer will choke against.

Good point, and on top of that, I haven't seen a match in a good while that somebody didn't choke in. How did Tsonga do today.. Is choking a contagious disease.. :lol:

Arkulari
08-20-2009, 05:11 AM
:rolls: :rolls: :rolls:

so far Roger hasn't really choked on a Slam (blowing a substantial lead or stuff like that),but let's see if the US Open is the first time :p

08-20-2009, 05:18 AM
You will choke on your tea when you'll see Murray lifting the trophy.

Not a chance mate. The day that mugrayclown lifts a Major title i'll cease and desist in my tennis watching. He does fine in best of 3 sets, but hes a one trick pony in this regard.

Skyward
08-20-2009, 05:24 AM
It could be anyone. Obviously, ATP players have developed this fetish-choking on Fed's d**k.

Serenidad
08-20-2009, 05:24 AM
Nadal/Federer SF choked?

I think it will be another obscure player like Chucho. Maybe like Andreev did.

Berdych definitely will choke again.
I hope Petzy won't choke if they meet.

Don't know who, but someone will.

MIMIC
08-20-2009, 06:02 AM
It's nobody on that list. But it WILL be somebody.

Fiberlight1
08-20-2009, 06:40 AM
Nadal-No

Everyone else, maybe.

lessthanjake
08-20-2009, 06:44 AM
Federer has never choked at a slam since he won Wimbledon in 2003. He has lost to Nalbandian, Kuerten, Safin, Nadal, and Djokovic, all of whom are good enough to beat anybody. I suspect it is his turn to choke, especially since he won't be able to help taking his foot off the gas a little. He has the records he wants, and now he has kids. The priorities shift some, even if it is just subconsciously.

Lebeuf
08-20-2009, 06:44 AM
Murray in the final exactly like last year.Fed will be angry and hungry

tea
08-20-2009, 06:52 AM
All 7 players he will get in the draw.:shrug: He would have won total zero of slams hadn't them choking all the years.:D

vamosinator
08-20-2009, 07:19 AM
The most likely scenario is that Federer will choke against Nadal in the US Open semis.

Ichiban1920
08-20-2009, 07:20 AM
The most likely scenario is that Federer will choke against Nadal in the US Open semis.

:lol::lol::lol:

Nadull won't even make it past the fourth round.

vamosinator
08-20-2009, 07:23 AM
:lol::lol::lol:

Nadull won't even make it past the fourth round.

QUOTED

Guy Haines
08-20-2009, 07:25 AM
It'll be B-O-R-I-N-G enough when it happens. Even trying to predict it in advance somehow doesn't make it any more interesting.

thedesertsun
08-20-2009, 08:55 AM
Guys like Chardy, Petzschner and Ferrero have great chances to amuse us with Early-Round-Chokes against the GOAT :lol:

Audacity
08-20-2009, 09:32 AM
Guys like Chardy, Petzschner and Ferrero have great chances to amuse us with Early-Round-Chokes against the GOAT :lol:

Fed doesn't choke in slams until semi finals/final time.

thedesertsun
08-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Fed doesn't choke in slams until semi finals/final time.
I did not say that Fed will choke against them ;)

Dini
08-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Del Potro's tank was empty as soon as he was up in the Semi. Haas was too stunned and amazed by that inside out forehand that Fed hit to save virtual MP that it left him rattled and weak at the knees. :p :worship: Andy roddick is Fed's bitch, no more needs to be said. Berdych choked massively, but that's Berdych for you. Acasuso is also synonymous with choking.

As MacTheKnife says, in a best of 5 choking is almost inevitable. Fed's done well to use his endurance and superior mental ability to turn those matches around.

Rafa#Uno:-)
08-20-2009, 09:43 AM
choke doesnt exist

Fed is the favorite

Murray has a small chance but the organizers will maybe destroy the US again due to poor schedule.

Murray has a mental position against Federer I think in a final.

freeandlonely
08-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Not that inevatible. I agree Roger may choke against someone, too. Maybe to Murray. Hope not.

Saya-nee-sama
08-20-2009, 10:34 AM
didn't you know that Nadal is the biggest choker on the planet ?:o that guy is so mentally weak:rolleyes:

I just hope fed doesn't choke against murray if both of them are in the final.

08-20-2009, 10:59 AM
2007-early 2009 Nadal would never choke. And certainly not to Federer.

Post Sodermised, Injured on the comeback Nadal might. Face it, unless he makes it past the 2nd round of the warm ups theres a high chance he won't be optimaly ready for a SF against Federer.

I'd say if Fed plays better than he normally does against Nadal, Nadal might choke a possible Semi away. The match would still be close as Nadal is a bad match up for Fed.

Id agree to a point about FED, but i'd say AO 2009 was a choke. He had 0-40 in the third set on Rafas serve. Even losing that he still had a tiebreaker where he messed up. But I'd say if this kinda match happens in US open 2009, theres a chance the choking could go the other way thats all. Not as likely as some of the others but a possible choke.

Audacity
08-20-2009, 11:08 AM
I did not say that Fed will choke against them ;)

My bad, misread that lol.

Julio
08-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Surely Roddick, blowing 500 bps on 5th set.

Certinfy
08-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Epic thread :). Tho if Bird Shit plays Fed again, he'll beat him :o

coonster14
08-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Surely Roddick, blowing 500 bps on 5th set.

lol i like the pic with the fed mug :)

RIboy
08-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Delpo blowing 7:6 6:3 4:3* 15:40

Huey84
08-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Chokerbitch or Mugay.

Burrow
08-20-2009, 02:41 PM
More like who will Federer choke against.

betowiec
08-20-2009, 02:53 PM
number 1 should be Arod if they ever meet

Andre'sNo1Fan
08-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Federer doesn't choke against Nadal - Rafa is just simply a better player than him and that shows in their head to head record.

River
08-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Everyone on that entire list will choke so much that Federer will say "wth" and then choke even worse.

Bank on it. Federer GS Choke 2009.

green25814
08-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Federer doesn't choke against Nadal - Rafa is just simply a better player than him and that shows in their head to head record.

Nah, Fed does choke against Nadal. He's intimidated by Nadal's attitude.

Half of Nadal's game is mental.

Andre'sNo1Fan
08-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Nah, Fed does choke against Nadal. He's intimidated by Nadal's attitude.

Half of Nadal's game is mental.
Half of anyones game is mental maybe even more than that. Nadal's game is just a good match up against Federer thats a fact.

green25814
08-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Nadal makes you think he's superhuman, if you can get past that mentally his game isn't anything special

Fed should be able to hit through him consistently enough to win, with maybe the exception of clay

Andre'sNo1Fan
08-20-2009, 04:59 PM
LOL you Nadal haters are deluded. Keep believing that he's nothing special :)

Joao
08-20-2009, 05:25 PM
wow ... Federer must be the luckiest guy on earth ... winning all these GS because his opponents keep choking over and over ... gimme a break will you!

Ichiban1920
08-20-2009, 05:55 PM

Nadull is a glorified moonballer with no game other than his court speed and mental toughness. Without his movement he wouldn't even be in the top 25. Nadull's days are numbered.

Fiberlight1
08-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Nadull is a glorified moonballer with no game other than his court speed and mental toughness. Without his movement he wouldn't even be in the top 25. Nadull's days are numbered.

Couldn't you say that for alot of players as movement is one of the essential pieces of a good tennis game ?

Tennisman82
08-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Murray in the final exactly like last year.Fed will be angry and hungry

Not too sure about that.

Murray is a quick learner and he's not going to play choke-type tennis if he's in the final again, no matter who he's up against.

I think Federer's two best matches of 2008 were in the USO SF & F.

Tennisman82.

Andre'sNo1Fan
08-20-2009, 09:09 PM
:haha:maybe Usain Bolt should come and play tennis see as thats all you need. He's got mental strength too so he'll be sorted.

Some haters cannot even be objective.

green25814
08-20-2009, 09:11 PM

Not a hater

His movement is great but without his mental toughness he isn't a great player, serious dude

Andre'sNo1Fan
08-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Not a hater

His movement is great but without his mental toughness he isn't a great player, serious dude
Good job he has it then doesn't it because he's fast becoming one of the best players of all time. Can you imagine what he'd actually do with talent :)

Mint Chip
08-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Hopefully Nadal and Murray won't make the quarterfinals :)

green25814
08-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Good job he has it then doesn't it because he's fast becoming one of the best players of all time. Can you imagine what he'd actually do with talent :)

Agreed, it would be frightening

I think he developed this mental attitude growing up because he didn't have as much talent though

Gaudio2004
08-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Have a feeling that Del Potro will assume another monumental choke against Federer if they meet.

iSzavay.
08-21-2009, 02:48 AM
What what a nice thread :tape: you do have a good point though. Hopefully it won't be Andy again :sobbing:.

yellowboy906
08-21-2009, 03:10 AM
:haha:

what's so funny about chokovik?:confused:

ForehandWinner
08-21-2009, 03:12 AM
Federer

amonb
08-21-2009, 03:17 AM
Not a hater

His movement is great but without his mental toughness he isn't a great player, serious dudeProbably the worst comment ever made. Now that's embarrassing!!! :help:

amonb
08-21-2009, 03:18 AM
Hopefully Nadal and Murray won't make the quarterfinals :):haha:

habibko
08-21-2009, 03:20 AM
Federer has never choked at a slam since he won Wimbledon in 2003. He has lost to Nalbandian, Kuerten, Safin, Nadal, and Djokovic, all of whom are good enough to beat anybody. I suspect it is his turn to choke, especially since he won't be able to help taking his foot off the gas a little. He has the records he wants, and now he has kids. The priorities shift some, even if it is just subconsciously.

AO 2009 final against Nadal, 5th set?

amonb
08-21-2009, 03:25 AM
Nadal makes you think he's superhuman, if you can get past that mentally his game isn't anything special

Fed should be able to hit through him consistently enough to win, with maybe the exception of clayNadal 5-2 h2h against Federer in Grand Slams (Supposedly the only stats that matter!!) . Like you said... Nothing Special!!! :haha:

Bolton'sBastard
08-21-2009, 03:58 AM
Nadal 5-2 h2h against Federer in Grand Slams (Supposedly the only stats that matter!!) . Like you said... Nothing Special!!! :haha:

He said with the exception of clay. Three of those Grand Slam finals were on clay...I'll let you guess who won them.

amonb
08-21-2009, 08:24 AM
He said with the exception of clay. Three of those Grand Slam finals were on clay...I'll let you guess who won them.He's beat him on all 3 surfaces in Major Finals!!!

tea
08-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Nadal 5-2 h2h against Federer in Grand Slams (Supposedly the only stats that matter!!) . Like you said... Nothing Special!!! :haha:
How many of them took place on a fast surface courts of the NY city?:D Oh sorry, I've completely forgotten that words fast and Nadal aren't correlating with each other very much.:D

amonb
08-21-2009, 08:45 AM
How many of them took place on a fast surface courts of the NY city?:D Oh sorry, I've completely forgotten that words fast and Nadal aren't correlating with each other very much.:DShit Comment... I'll pretend i didn't read that!!! ;)

Huey84
08-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Oh man, I cracked up so hard at this:

Jose Acuchoko
Igor Anchoke

Need moar threads like this.

Laba
08-21-2009, 10:40 AM
AO 2009 final against Nadal, 5th set?

That wasn't a choke, he mentally caved in after being broken and Rafa was too solid and closed the match out. The first game of the match where Federer shanked at least two shots completely to be broken was what you could consider a choke, but he didn't suddenly freeze and tighten up at the end there... he more so went limp.

MariaV
08-21-2009, 10:53 AM
The right answer would be - everyone. :D

bokehlicious
08-21-2009, 11:08 AM
:D Gotta love those desperate people that would kill to watch Fed lose early at a slam... 6 years of utter frustration :awww:, keep it up though, it will happen at some point eventually, that will be your day... Finally :awww: :hug: :hug:

Bargearse
08-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Who won't choke against Federer is a lot more concise. :scratch: Nadal and Murray will not choke if they have to play Federer. They may choke against other players however.

bokehlicious
08-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Haha any player that loses to Fed has to be a choker, of course the few players with a positive h-h are the only Spartans and real players out there :rocker2:

amonb
08-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Haha any player that loses to Fed has to be a choker, of course the few players with a positive h-h are the only Spartans and real players out there :rocker2:According to everyone, anyone who loses a match is choker!!!

08-21-2009, 12:58 PM
According to everyone, anyone who loses a match is choker!!!

No, thats a mug or if its an honest loss a clown.

Eg, man that Simon is a pusher mug, never gonna make another GS quater (Glenn).

Tsonga loses tight tiebreak to Murray, can't believe that play from clownga.

Just for reference, Juan Carlos Ferchoko and Radek Stepupnchoke added to originals possible list.

Anymore candidates keep em rolling on in.

08-21-2009, 01:15 PM
:D Gotta love those desperate people that would kill to watch Fed lose early at a slam... 6 years of utter frustration :awww:, keep it up though, it will happen at some point eventually, that will be your day... Finally :awww: :hug: :hug:

Well i'm a huge Fed fan, always have been since the day I started watching tennis. His play 2004-2007 clearly established him as one of the all time greats.

However you would be hard pressed to argue against the idea that the old man has had more than a few helping hands over the last couple seasons. I mean look at his match against Blake in AO 08, the guy was just talking himself out of it the whole time. Or someone like Haas 09 FO. These guys are not men, not like the powerhouses of the 80's.

I'd say there are only two real men who play tennis at the moment. Nadal and Federer. Maybe put Tsonga in there too. The rest of them are headcases at times. The ammount they get paid they deserve every bit of criticism dished out on this site, and I'm sure many of the players read these forums (like Haas) and im sure it only contributes to the nightmares they have on court. Berdych 09 AO is a classic choke, remember him getting angry over the hawkeye thing when there was no need at all. He might be built like a man but he sure isnt one. Taking nothing away from Fed of course, he was brilliant to come back, but christ he never should have been allowed to all these times. The way he came along and knocked Sampras off his perch at Wimbledon 01. Theres not players like that anymore. Save Soderling RG but that was probably a one trick pony moment.

Were not critisicing Fed here in this thread. Were criticising the players who at times have made it just a bit too easy for him.

bokehlicious
08-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Well i'm a huge Fed fan, always have been since the day I started watching tennis. His play 2004-2007 clearly established him as one of the all time greats.

However you would be hard pressed to argue against the idea that the old man has had more than a few helping hands over the last couple seasons. I mean look at his match against Blake in AO 08, the guy was just talking himself out of it the whole time. Or someone like Haas 09 FO. These guys are not men, not like the powerhouses of the 80's.

I'd say there are only two real men who play tennis at the moment. Nadal and Federer. Maybe put Tsonga in there too. The rest of them are headcases at times. The ammount they get paid they deserve every bit of criticism dished out on this site, and I'm sure many of the players read these forums (like Haas) and im sure it only contributes to the nightmares they have on court. Berdych 09 AO is a classic choke, remember him getting angry over the hawkeye thing when there was no need at all. He might be built like a man but he sure isnt one. Taking nothing away from Fed of course, he was brilliant to come back, but christ he never should have been allowed to all these times. The way he came along and knocked Sampras off his perch at Wimbledon 01. Theres not players like that anymore. Save Soderling RG but that was probably a one trick pony moment.

Were not critisicing Fed here in this thread. Were criticising the players who at times have made it just a bit too easy for him.

"choking" is a common thing in such a mental individual sport, and always has been... Nobody seems to mind it, only players choking to Fed seems to piss people off... Again, that's because people are desperatly willing to see him lose more often... instead of feeling blessed to follow the best of all time during his prime...

River
08-21-2009, 02:25 PM
That wasn't a choke, he mentally caved in after being broken and Rafa was too solid and closed the match out. The first game of the match where Federer shanked at least two shots completely to be broken was what you could consider a choke, but he didn't suddenly freeze and tighten up at the end there... he more so went limp.

>>;

Wtf does a choke mean to you? He didn't tighten up, but went limp? That's like saying "Oh noooo, he's not choking, he's already dead!"

Federer mentally caved in. I don't know what the hell a choke means to you, but in my book, when you suddenly break down mentally, you screw up and tank. Iono what else constitutes a choke.

And curses to whoever keeps mocking Nadal. I realize that in MTF, unless you have every single attribute, stroke and talent in perfect harmony, you're a worthless player. Who the hell cares that Nadal is a moonballer and runs fast?

One thing stands clear; he beat the living shit out of Roger Federer, AND he made him CRY so bad I thought Roger got hit in the nuts. I don't give a rat's ass if he had a mono flare up or whatever. If MTF can look beyond illness for other players and trash them, I don't see why the hell Federer should be forgiven for his, either. It doesn't matter anyways, becuase when Roger's level fell just a bit, NADAL SPANKED HIM. HARD.

Mental edge? Hell yeah.

Just to say it again;

Roger Chokes 09 US Open. Bank. On. It.

bokehlicious
08-21-2009, 02:29 PM
One thing stands clear; he beat the living shit out of Roger Federer, AND he made him CRY so bad I thought Roger got hit in the nuts. I don't give a rat's ass if he had a mono flare up or whatever. If MTF can look beyond illness for other players and trash them, I don't see why the hell Federer should be forgiven for his, either. It doesn't matter anyways, becuase when Roger's level fell just a bit, NADAL SPANKED HIM. HARD.

Mental edge? Hell yeah.

Just to say it again;

Roger Chokes 09 US Open. Bank. On. It.

Well said! :yeah:

BAMOS RAFA! :rocker2: :rocker2:

Dini
08-21-2009, 02:29 PM
That was a massive spanking Nadal gave Fed at the AO this year. :)

Bargearse
08-21-2009, 02:41 PM
"choking" is a common thing in such a mental individual sport, and always has been... Nobody seems to mind it, only players choking to Fed seems to piss people off... Again, that's because people are desperatly willing to see him lose more often... instead of feeling blessed to follow the best of all time during his prime...

For me it's not so much desperation to see Federer lose, but desperation to see others win when they have a chance. You know, when they can step up and seize the opportunity. I occasionally feel that way about underdogs against the top players, or anyone who plays Murray.

For example, with the golf PGA last week, I was happy for the dude (name I can't recall) who beat Tiger. He kept it together and got the job done and I didn't think he'd do it. I thought he'd shit himself on the 18th and hand Woods the victory, but he didn't and that's great. :yeah:

bokehlicious
08-21-2009, 02:46 PM
I occasionally feel that way about underdogs against the top players, or anyone who plays Murray.

Ok, so players don't only choke to Federer but to top players... By reading GM you would think those "chokers" are Spartans only turning into useless chickens when playing Fed...

River
08-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Golf's kinda different I suppose when it comes to choking. People there don't cheer that loud for you to choke. It's not like Golf will ever get the Davis Cup kind of bias in multiple tournaments~

But when Tiger loses, it doesn't seem like a big deal, mainly because he doesn't look like the type to ever be on a slump. The only slump he ever had was because of his father's death and that was completely understandable. He's still as composed as ever, even when he got his butt kicked xD

Roger on the other hand >__>;;; It's come to the point where sometimes you feel like he needs someone to choke in order to go to the next round, unfortunately.

Dini
08-21-2009, 02:57 PM
FO 2007 Final he led 6-1 before losing.

:scratch:

I'm pretty sure that was 2006.

Vida
08-21-2009, 04:12 PM
everyone might except nadal or djoker. only two players beside fed who have a GS titles to their names and who have any chance of playing against him in the final rounds (safin, hewitt, ferero dont count for obvious reasons). whats more, their GS titles include wins over the master.

09-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Well 3 rounds down at the US open and almost into the second week and it has been fairly normal day at the office for Fed. Only dropping one set in the 3rd round much like all his main compatriots. Played like a bit of a mug at times but is usual during his first week energy conservation stage.

A few things we do know though. It will not be Roddick and it will not be Haas. Haas couldn't find his get out of choke free card in time unfortunately, so hes gone. Likewise Roddick, although he was beaten by the better player.

Many pundits in this thread thought it would be an obscure player to make Fed choke. This is why ladies and gentlemen I firmly believe the stage is now set for an epic round of 16 choke from our favourite under achiever, Mr Tommy Robredo..after watching his second set marathon against Blake (the biggest joke on tour), I can safely say he is the best bet so far for a fourth round choke (remember Berdych AO 2009??). So you punters out there, put the house on Federer when(if) he goes two sets down, because you know whats coming.

Riffrizzle
09-06-2009, 01:47 PM
My pet name for Djokovic is "choke a bitch" because of his recent rages. I hope he doesn't choke his bitch because she is smoking hot.

Yeah and I find this choking stuff mostly nonsense. Choking to me is missing an easy overhead smash on match point, not losing in 5 sets after being 2 sets to love up. Closing out a third set against a player of Federer's calibre is not a given, no matter how well you played in the previous 2 sets.

09-15-2009, 05:57 AM
Wow, all you who said it would be Fed this time to choke were right!

Delpotro did his best but, by golly gosh, you really gave this one away Fed.

:devil: Now get the AO title back soldier!