LOL @ Rafa's b/h and ROS.

42 UEs :spit:

dijus
08-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Seppi 1/10 on bps.
Had his chances but wasted them as he usually does :sad:

HKz
08-20-2009, 12:23 AM
You would be kidding yourself if it was a good match for Nadal. He played solid in the tiebreaks, but it was terrible to watch overall.

Seppi had SO many chances but had no mental edge over Nadal when he had those chances. Against any top 20, Nadal would have probably lost today.

rubbERR
"rusty" he has always been missing some shots hardcourts, its clay where he is almost perfect :lol:

only his return of serve is rusty, his other shots are fine

Certinfy
Seppi deserved a 3rd set to say the least.

Tho i think PHM will beat Nadal :help:

philosophicalarf
Seppi doublefaulted first service point in both tiebreaks :-))

HKz
08-20-2009, 12:25 AM
"rusty" he has always been missing some shots hardcourts, its clay where he is almost perfect :lol:

only his return of serve is rusty, his other shots are fine

You obviously didn't watch the match if you thought only his returning game was poor.

fast_clay
thats the thing that struck me most as soon as i saw him return... the classic stand in Row 1 Seat BB ROS... how i have missed that...

still finding the range, but, seppi was the man for the job as it was NID!!

Clydey
Not exactly convincing. Could just as easily been on the end of a straight sets loss.

Sunset of Age
Quite an escape there, Raf. :)
Very good practice session - yep, he's still rusty, but manages to get the job done whatever the circumstances (:help:), showing how much of a genuine Top Player he indeed is. :hatoff:

Seppi - nice try, mate. :hug:

Arkulari
08-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Seppi was doing tons of weak second serves and Rafa wasn't attacking those :o

Well, a win is a win and I'll take it :p

rubbERR
08-20-2009, 12:27 AM
i watched it and he was missing some shots but thats obviously normal to tennisplayers, seppi was playing consistent pushing tennis AT TIMES and he forced nadal to play more aggressive ;)

Voo de Mar
08-20-2009, 12:27 AM
Seppi is a sad player. He can be competitive against the best players but at the end he has to get out of the court as a loser :o

HKz
08-20-2009, 12:29 AM
i watched it and he was missing some shots but thats obviously normal to tennisplayers, seppi was playing consistent pushing tennis AT TIMES and he forced nadal to play more aggressive ;)

Again, doubtful that you really watched the match unless you consider 42 UEs "some" :rolleyes:

l_mac
08-20-2009, 12:30 AM
Rafa missing his knee tapes so much he has his wrists and abdomen taped.

Arkulari
Rafa agressive? :rolls:
FFS, Seppi was putting tons of weak second serves and Rafa wasn't attacking them :o
his ROS today was pathetic :o

stebs
Poor from Nadal. Seppi was pretty decent for most of the match but weak when it counted and really he shouldn't have lost both of those sets considering he had SP in the first and a ton of BP's in the second. Nadal strong enough mentally to get it done but the tennis will need to improve if he's going to keep winning.

docking34
08-20-2009, 12:31 AM
seppi coulda taken nadul out.

GlennMirnyi
08-20-2009, 12:33 AM
What a mug Seppi losing this match.

shadows
08-20-2009, 12:33 AM
Felt a little sorry for Seppi, the momentum was with him before the rainbreak, after it he never really had a chance.

That said, yay Rafa. More match practice is needed, so I'm glad you made it through!

Voo de Mar
08-20-2009, 12:35 AM
Two weakest ATP tie-breakers in Top 50:

Seppi 45-65 (40 %)
Almagro 44-71 (38 %)

stebs
08-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Two weakest ATP tie-breakers in Top 50:

Seppi 45-65 (40 %)
Almagro 44-71 (38 %)

:o

Both with their skills on display today.

Fiberlight1
08-20-2009, 12:38 AM
He's still rusty. He played alright.

Gaudio2004
08-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Seppi had many, many chances today - almost to the point where you just thought "Okay, how many chances do you need, ANdreas?!"

Mint Chip
08-20-2009, 12:46 AM
Fuck
Mathieu is pretty useless against Nadal so maybe the Gooch or Berdych can wipe Nadal off the court

vamosinator
08-20-2009, 01:18 AM
This could prove to be the most important match of this year since the Australian Open Final. Nadal has got his "clutch factor" back.

green25814
08-20-2009, 01:19 AM
This could prove to be the most important match of this year since the Australian Open Final. Nadal has got his "clutch factor" back.

He will never lose his 'clutch factor', its his ability to play tennis properly which is the issue.

vamosinator
08-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Nadal did not have his clutch factor when leading 5-2 tie-break v Del Potro. Its a nerve thing you lose temporarily when away from the game for periods, inner confidence.

Lourdes
08-20-2009, 01:46 AM
Good showing for Seppi. I really like him. Keep on improving Rafa.

Bolton'sBastard
08-20-2009, 01:52 AM
Some very good forehands from Nadal in this, but everything else looked rather weak from him.

Still not back at top level yet.

moonlightdance
08-20-2009, 01:53 AM
this could be the best chance for phm since bananagate.

GlennMirnyi
08-20-2009, 02:09 AM

Clutch factor = moonballing.

He'll never lose that.

meihaditalab
08-20-2009, 02:10 AM
he's still not at the level he should be playing at.... but I see him making a good run at the US open :)

iSzavay.
08-20-2009, 03:10 AM
Wow Seppi was pretty lame, easily could've won....

Good job Rafa though ;) good to see him winning a tight match :yeah:.

brent-o
08-20-2009, 03:40 AM
I find Seppi to be an annoying player to watch. He's just...there. Very decent, doesn't do anything bad. But I can't get excited about his game at all.

betowiec
08-20-2009, 03:42 AM
far from convincing
Nadal doesn't look too good (IMO)

Laba
08-20-2009, 03:49 AM
He hit a great forehand DTL winner that went around the net post at some stage, and almost pulled off a really good tweener lob. His ROS was atrocious though, his serving was good when he needed it to be and he hit one of those crosscourt backhand winners during the second tiebreakers. Way too many unforced errors though, some really poor patches of play and it will be interested to see how he rebounds now in the third against Mathieu who must surely be feeling confident at this stage.

sawan66278
08-20-2009, 04:08 AM
All in all, a solid performance. Why? Because Seppi is not an easy matchup for Rafa on a fast hard court...and HAS beaten him before on the surface (Rotterdam indoor). Seppi's hight prevents Rafa's spin for hurting him too much.

Yes, Rafa's return of serve was poor...but this was also the case in the first round of the Olympics last year. He has NEVER played that well in this tourney because of the pace, and yet, hit almost EVERY clutch shot when necessary. Aces on set points and break points...gutsy forehand winners...good scrambling.

Could improve on the intensity, but he's getting there. This was EXACTLY the kind of match he needed: one where he gets to hit a lot of balls and, yet, is forced to hit big shots from time to time (which Seppi often forces the top guys to do).

Unforced errors don't mean everything...just ask Mr. Federer.

Action Jackson
08-20-2009, 04:48 AM
Seppi 1/10 on bps.
Had his chances but wasted them as he usually does :sad:

Says it all really, seems to forget got to the play the ball and not the score on those points.

vamosinator
08-20-2009, 06:12 AM
All in all, a solid performance. Why? Because Seppi is not an easy matchup for Rafa on a fast hard court...and HAS beaten him before on the surface (Rotterdam indoor). Seppi's hight prevents Rafa's spin for hurting him too much.

Yes, Rafa's return of serve was poor...but this was also the case in the first round of the Olympics last year. He has NEVER played that well in this tourney because of the pace, and yet, hit almost EVERY clutch shot when necessary. Aces on set points and break points...gutsy forehand winners...good scrambling.

Could improve on the intensity, but he's getting there. This was EXACTLY the kind of match he needed: one where he gets to hit a lot of balls and, yet, is forced to hit big shots from time to time (which Seppi often forces the top guys to do).

Unforced errors don't mean everything...just ask Mr. Federer.

CORRECT

Guy Haines
08-20-2009, 06:30 AM
Seppi's serve is truly dire, so for Rafa to be struggling with his ROS -- standing far back no less -- isn't encouraging, if not quite :help:

But he's still early on the return path, and Seppi beat him last time they played (:help:).

vamosinator
08-20-2009, 06:33 AM
When you compare this match with other matches Nadal has played for the last 2 years you won't be able to tell a difference. This is Nadal's style of tennis, his return of serve is not always at its best, its a variable of his game on hardcourts. Key is he plays the big points well, thats what he did at the Australian Open despite playing patchy generally.

Guy Haines
08-20-2009, 06:39 AM
When you compare this match with other matches Nadal has played for the last 2 years you won't be able to tell a difference. This is Nadal's style of tennis, his return of serve is not always at its best, its a variable of his game on hardcourts. Key is he plays the big points well, thats what he did at the Australian Open despite playing patchy generally.

That's very true.

After a while squandered break points against Rafa -- pretty common during the first part of his career -- have as much to do with him as the players who squander them. He's more tenacious than the rest of the ATP in those situations. When he isn't, he's in trouble. I'm far from sold on him having instant results.

rwn
08-20-2009, 06:46 AM
If this had been a match between Federer and Seppi, we would already have hundreds of posts whining about the massive choke from Seppi :rolleyes:

Rafa#Uno:-)
08-20-2009, 08:36 AM
curious about nadal is he back soon? I didnt see the match. Is Rafa fit in his knee? thats the big question.
I guess he subconcius thinks about his knee still. That will take a time before he TRUST his knee. Then I want to see Rafa again.
More excited more loaded. More power.
He is not there yet. For the US I hope.

pica_pica
08-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Keep going, Rafito :yeah: :rocker2:

madmax
08-20-2009, 11:07 AM
well, Seppi choked on big points as usual - but that's expected from him. Nadull on the other hand was moving quite smoothly, although his level of play didn't impress me one bit..

Clay Death
08-20-2009, 03:48 PM
well, Seppi choked on big points as usual - but that's expected from him. Nadull on the other hand was moving quite smoothly, although his level of play didn't impress me one bit..

actually he was not moving well enough for his standards in the past. even Seppi said after the match that he has seen much better movment from the Clay Monster in the past.

Clay Monster finally admitted yesterday after the match that he still has pain in the knees. this is not rocket science folks. you can just plain see the guy is not moving anywhere near he could once.

and its a cause for huge concern. he is fucking up again if you ask me. he really should have started his journey back on clay in order to try to ease into the swing of things. that surface is lot more forgiving. and he should have skipped Cincy.

too much activity way too fast on hard courts is a recipe for disaster.

Ichiban1920
08-20-2009, 04:03 PM
The sooner Nadull retires, the better for the game.

swebright
08-20-2009, 07:16 PM
He's still far from his usual form. I don't even see the aggression in him (both physical and mental). He looks like a kid version of Nadal, a bit unsure and tentative.

marquez
08-20-2009, 10:32 PM
good to see seppi regained some form

Fiberlight1
08-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Nadal just said to Darren Cahill "The knee is perfect, no?"