John Isner: Up and down [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

John Isner: Up and down

Navratil
08-19-2009, 07:32 AM
John Isner actually played a very consistent season so far - on challenger level. He missed Roland Garros and (even) Wimbledon this summer and played and played on US challenger tour instead.

Any idea why he did that? His ranking was not too bad, at least he could have tried to qualify.
In the end I think it wasn't a bad idea to get matches and build up confidence.

And for the last weeks he seems to be in a very good shape. Just like the summer two years ago when he broke through and looked like a potential top ten player reaching the Washington final and playing a fantastic match against world # 1 Roger Federer at the US Open.

But last year his results were awful and I almost wrote him off.

What do think: Can he break into the top 20? Or even top 10?
And what happend to him last year?

:confused:

catatonia
08-19-2009, 08:43 AM
He was diagnozed with mono in May and had to fight it off before getting back on tour so he missed the end of clay and the grass season this year.

HKz
08-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Isner has really been a question for me. His scheduling has really dissapointed me as he has really stuck to just sticking around playing challengers in the US. I believe he can be a top 20 player because he has a big serve, but moves a bit better than Karlovic. And with Karlovic's serve, he has gotten to number 14 in the world so I don't see why Isner couldn't reproduce those same stats.

But yes, I think if he goes and plays more qualies, he could build some kind of steam because he has a great mental game especially on serve.

HattonWBA
08-19-2009, 09:25 AM
He's done excellent since coming back from his Mono, anyway he is still prone to throwing in the ocassional loss but even that is very good for a guy of his ranking, awesome form although we are in his favorite season, be interesting to see how he does next year.

fast_clay
08-19-2009, 12:05 PM
he's done well... after the initial success of coming on tour, he follow up year didnt have too much... whether that was to do with the tour figuring him out, or that it was just a lucky run at washington etc etc who knows... but, this season he has shown that it very much was not lucky... breaking through is not a problem for some, but, falling back and doing it again finds out a hell of a lot of players... big john has done well, and is a big credit to the US college system...

MacTheKnife
08-19-2009, 12:09 PM
nagging injuries, mono, nagging injuries..

Henry Chinaski
08-19-2009, 01:08 PM
John Isner actually played a very consistent season so far - on challenger level. He missed Roland Garros and (even) Wimbledon this summer and played and played on US challenger tour instead.

Any idea why he did that?

He's a registered sex-offender and isn't allowed to leave the US, except for Canada where that sort of thing is actively encouraged.

Johnny Ice
08-20-2009, 02:47 PM

Any idea why he did that? His ranking was not too bad, at least he could have tried to qualify.
In the end I think it wasn't a bad idea to get matches and build up confidence.

And for the last weeks he seems to be in a very good shape. Just like the summer two years ago when he broke through and looked like a potential top ten player reaching the Washington final and playing a fantastic match against world # 1 Roger Federer at the US Open.

But last year his results were awful and I almost wrote him off.

What do think: Can he break into the top 20? Or even top 10?
And what happend to him last year?

what?!?! He was in the main draw of the French Open before he had to pull out with mono.

And no, he didn't play the US Challenger circuit instead. He didn't do anything for 2 months....:wavey:

jcempire
08-20-2009, 02:54 PM
injury always a problem which cost him a lot. He need to redo the schedule and goes from there.

HKz
08-20-2009, 08:17 PM
And no, he didn't play the US Challenger circuit instead. He didn't do anything for 2 months....:wavey:

Well I'm talking about in 2007 when he came onto the tour. I think he could of made a name for himself more quickly if he went out and tried to qualify for tournys.