Rafa in Cincy - SF is not bad but losing to Nole?-at least if you wore sleveless :( [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rafa in Cincy - SF is not bad but losing to Nole?-at least if you wore sleveless :(

acionescu
08-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Well, not my favorite tournement in the world, neither Rafa's for that matter...:(

Bunch of lazy people :ras:

Draw :rolleyes: ( stollen from Ferru's forum :o, I'm at work )

(1) Federer vs BYE
Acasuso vs Q
Ferrer vs Wawrinka
Ferrero vs (14) Cilic

(12) Soderling vs Hewitt
Vassallo Arguello vs Becker
Q vs Querrey
(5) Roddick vs BYE

(3) Murray vs BYE
Almagro vs Sela
(WC) Safin vs (WC) Ginepri
Troicki vs (16) Stepanek

(11) Verdasco vs Garcia-LOpez
Hanescu vs Q
Lopez vs Melzer
(6) Del Potro vs BYE

(8) Davydenko vs BYE
Blake vs Kunitsyn
Andreev vs Kiefer
(WC) Odesnik vs (9) Simon

(15) Robredo vs Chardy
(WC) Isner vs Haas
Q vs Serra
(4) Djokovic vs BYE

(7) Tsonga vs BYE
Kohlschreiber vs Q
Q vs Petzschner
Berdych vs (10) Gonzalez

(13) Monfils vs Karlovic
Zverev vs Mathieu
Q vs Seppi
(2) Nadal vs BYE :inlove:

Snoo Foo
08-17-2009, 02:40 PM
del potro is out out out out out, to be replaced by LL, is this the MiT thread?

acionescu
08-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Yes, this is the one but sadly JMDP was in the GOAT half :tears:

Minn
08-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Really, JMDP's out? I hadn't heard.

I'll stick with QF again, for now.

Snoo Foo
08-17-2009, 02:44 PM
rog is going to lose to kubot cuz his tards can't spell cincinnati :fiery:

tennizen
08-17-2009, 02:50 PM
SF for our Rafito:inlove:

tennizen
08-17-2009, 02:52 PM
star, I think you posted in the wrong thread:confused:

acionescu
08-17-2009, 02:52 PM
I'll ask a special fail from Metis, just for you, Hema :D

tennizen
08-17-2009, 02:53 PM
I'll ask a special fail from Metis, just for you, Hema :D

Maybe she can post the entire video of Roger vs Tsonga Montreal 2009 for me:D

Thanos
08-17-2009, 02:54 PM
semi final because the witch hema said so.

star
08-17-2009, 02:56 PM
star, I think you posted in the wrong thread:confused:

I did and immediately moved it.

tennizen
08-17-2009, 02:56 PM
semi final because the witch hema said so.

the witch epic failed with Federer wimbledon prediction:awww:

star
08-17-2009, 02:59 PM
rog is going to lose to kubot cuz his tards can't spell cincinnati :fiery:

Nobody can. That's why they call it Cincy. ;)

Snoo Foo
08-17-2009, 03:01 PM
everytime i see that thread title i get :fiery:, you'd think i'd be used to it by now but for some reason, maybe cuz it's in all caps, maybe cuz i feel as though it is His Majesty himself who has brazenly and carelessly misspelled the name of that blighted hellhole beautiful city, it's taking every molecule of my very tiny reservoir of self-control to keep myself from trolling

star
08-17-2009, 03:04 PM
everytime i see that thread title i get :fiery:, you'd think i'd be used to it by now but for some reason, maybe cuz it's in all caps, maybe cuz i feel as though it is His Majesty himself who has brazenly and carelessly misspelled the name of that blighted hellhole beautiful city, it's taking every molecule of my very tiny reservoir of self-control to keep myself from trolling

But it can never top "Crushing Soul-Loss" That is one for the ages. Who started the thread? I'll have to go look -- even though I am much too sensitive and far too mature to go to GM. ;)

acionescu
08-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Maybe she can post the entire video of Roger vs Tsonga Montreal 2009 for me:D

Maybe Rog will be nice enough to have a brainfart against Roddick this time :inlove:

Nobody can. That's why they call it Cincy. ;)

I know that's why I called it :o :p

star
08-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Maybe Rog will be nice enough to have a brainfart against Roddick this time :inlove:

I know that's why I called it :o :p

:lol: Me too! I always get mixed up with those double n's and are there two t's or one? :confused:

But then, I'm a horrible speller.

Foxy
08-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Win.

Snoo Foo
08-17-2009, 04:39 PM
WIN :rocker2:

DERO
08-17-2009, 05:22 PM
QF.. sorry rafito:sad::hug:

Foxy
08-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Any news from Cincy? How are his pratice sessions going? Who is he practising with? Any pics or videos?
Thanks.

dorkino
08-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Second round.

Mohammad
08-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Someone please post some pics from Cincy,I miss Rafa! :-(

nashty
08-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Qf.

MariaV
08-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Doris wanted to present us Roger's interview. Here's Rafa. :p :lol:

http://http://www.tennistv.com/page/TennisTV/TournamentInterviews/CincinnattiMen/0,,11444~1758590,00.html

Eden
08-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Doris wanted to present us Roger's interview. Here's Rafa. :p :lol:

http://http://www.tennistv.com/page/TennisTV/TournamentInterviews/CincinnattiMen/0,,11444~1758590,00.html

Sorry Maria, I just saw the mistake and deleted my post :p I really wanted to post the right interview here ;)

MariaV
08-17-2009, 10:26 PM
I know, Doris. I was kidding. And thanks for finding and posting all the videos and articles and stuff, it's very much appreciated. :hug: :hug:

Xristos
08-18-2009, 03:28 AM
put me for sf.

wilmar
08-18-2009, 03:53 AM
WIN for me...U go RAFA!

rafah0lic
08-18-2009, 05:23 AM
Here's a bit of practice Video from this morning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN7bVCXXbvY)

First Interview in Cincy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXTLc6sHU3M)

Laba
08-18-2009, 08:09 AM
SF, hoping he can get past Tsonga in the Quarters.

MariaV
08-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Uhhhh what to predict, OK I'll say QF.

Metis
08-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Let's hope for the best :unsure:

How far will Rafa go in Cincinnati? (1000 points)

1st - Bye
2nd - dorkino
3rd - Metis
QF - Bibberz, DERO, MariaV, Minn, nadhty
SF - acionescu, Laba, star, tennizen, wacked82, Xristos
F -
W - Foxy, SnooFoo, wilmar

the witch epic failed with Federer wimbledon prediction:awww:

The only time you didn't fail was when you predicted Rafa wouldn't win RG :rolleyes: ...and if we add to that your failed Montreal thread and some suspicious posts... something is rotten in the state of Denmark. :mad: I say your Nadal-fan status needs to be re-evaluated.

acionescu
08-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Metis, either I didn't make my prediction yet or I'm getting old really fast :confused: :scratch:

acionescu
08-18-2009, 03:55 PM
And I'm predicting a SF loss to kolya :ras:

Metis
08-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Hmmm... I used to forget to include people's predictions, now I also invent them. :lol:

Bibberz
08-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Qf

star
08-18-2009, 05:35 PM
MIT = semi final

If I keep predicting semi, I'm gonna get it right one day. :p

acionescu
08-19-2009, 09:13 AM
http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2009-08-18/j.php

Q. How do you feel physically coming into Cincinnati after getting a few matches under your belt in Canada last week?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I feel good, no? Yeah, I feel very happy to be here. And, sure, the last week was important week for me after few time outside of competition. Comeback, and it was a good comeback, no?
No, I played not a bad match second round, and against Del Potro I played a very good first set. Just very happy with that. Just practicing every day with allusion, and just try my best every day with my best positive attitude. Just like this I gonna have chances to improve.

Q. What would be, do you think, a good result for you here? Are you looking, I guess, for a specific result, or are you looking more for a feeling of how you move on the court, how you feel with your timing hitting the ball?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, sure, for me it's more important -- you have good result you gonna have a good feeling, that's...
Yeah, but, sure, the important thing is feeling -- anyway, if you don't have a very good result, the important thing is move every day a little bit better and try to hit a little bit the ball every day with a little bit more confidence, no? So that's, in the end, the important thing.
Sure, the US Open is very important, but after US Open remains a lot of the season, and I would like to be ready to play the good end of the season.

Q. You think in some ways you might be fresher now than you tend to be at this time of the season?
RAFAEL NADAL: Fresher, sure. I don't know if this fresh is very good, but I am fresher, yeah.

Q. With respect to the injury time-out and whatnot, I know you like to spend a lot of time on the practice courts. How much more time until you're able to practice like you did in the past at a 100% with the amount of time you spend there?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, it's impossible start from a zero to hundred, no? I need a little bit progressive and to go every day a little bit more. I did in Mallorca and I still doing here, no?
I practice, for example, today one hour 45. Normally if I have one more day gonna play little bit more, two hours 30. I need to go slow, no? The important thing is be good physically.
If I feel like this, I know with experience if I work hard and if I can work with the normal intensity, what I did in the past, I gonna have chances to be ready another time at my best level. If it's not this year, I hope next year.
Later or soon I hope to be ready for another time, but I have to be with calm.

Q. What do you make of the new world order with Andy above you now at No2 and you No. 3?
RAFAEL NADAL: What makes what?

Q. What do you think of the new world ranking system in tennis?
RAFAEL NADAL: It's very difficult to think a lot of things. It's only a number. Only a number change. I congratulate Andy. He's doing a good season.
But, yeah, I don't know. For me, doesn't change a lot my perspective and my goals. I'm very happy today, more than yesterday, or the same happy today than three days ago when I was No. 2, and I say before when I was No. 1.
So in the end, what makes me happy is be ready to play and enjoying playing tennis. Be happy and don't have a lot of problems to play, no? If it's like this, if I can compete with normal conditions, I am very happy to be here.
I spend five years No. 2, and No. 1 almost a year. So the ranking is important, but it's not the most important thing, no? For me, the most important thing is be competitive to try to compete to win important tournament, no?
The rest, I hope to be ready in the future, too, to come back to No. 2 or to be in the top positions. No. 3 is very good number, too. (Laughter.)

Q. You've been saying all here year that Andy is good enough to get to No. 2, and he's proved you correct.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, he's enough good to be No. 2, no? I think I had the season under the control before my injury. I was playing well, having almost perfect season.
After the injury, it's tough. But I know myself. I know when I was okay, I was there, no? I was the No. 1 in the race this year after -- before my injury, so I know if I am ready, I gonna have chances another time to be there.

Q. In the next few years, do you think you'll have to change your schedule a little bit? Will you take more breaks?
RAFAEL NADAL: Take more breaks?

Q. To protect your knees maybe.
RAFAEL NADAL: Depends. Depends, because depends what goals you have. It's very difficult to have a lot of breaks when the third week of January you have to play a Grand Slam. It's very difficult to have a lot of breaks when after three weeks you have two Masters Series in a row, and after you have three Masters Series in four weeks.
So what break can I do? After you have two Grand Slams in four weeks. Give me the -- well, give me the week. I didn't play a lot of tournaments outside of obligatory tournaments. I only played in Doha. Is normal tournament to prepare Australia. I only play in Rotterdam and Barcelona and that's it. I didn't play a lot of... Yeah, that's obligatory.
The schedule can change. The ATP can change the schedule. I can't change the schedule.

Q. But you did have a break for two months...
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, obligatory break. It's always the same: you stop or somebody stop you, something stop you.

Q. So maybe the knees stopped you and you had a break. What was that like? Did you follow tennis? Did you watch the French Open? Did you watch Wimbledon? Or did you completely tune out and try to not think about tennis?
RAFAEL NADAL: I was more outside than inside, yeah. Watch the final of Wimbledon, and I watched the last two games of the final of Roland Garros. That's it.
I watch the Davis Cup of Spain. I saw everything. But that's it. I watch Contador winning the Tour de France, and I saw Gasol winning in the NBA. A lot of good things for Spain.

Q. Was it conscious to keep away from tennis, or did you find yourself wanting to get back on the court and get back to the tour?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, sure, the first week is tough after you have injury. You arrive at probably one of the two more important tournaments of the year, Roland Garros and Wimbledon, with maybe your worst physical problems, your worst feelings with the physical.
Sure, in the beginning you go down a little bit, no, first week. But later, you know, the life is not only tennis. I was in Mallorca with family. That's always very important for me. With the friends, and a lot of support, no? A lot of fans was writing me on the website, writing on my phone, friends.
Yeah, it was very good time in Mallorca. The summer in Mallorca is perfect. Good weather, beach. Perfect. Nice water. So probably I was injured the worst time to be injured in the season for my tennis, but the best time to enjoy Mallorca, so...

Q. How much did you miss the competition? And how does it feel to be back in competition?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, you know, I said before, the first two weeks, one week and a half, was I don't want -- I really don't want to speak about competition, no, because you go down a little bit, and it's tough moments.
But after that, I didn't miss the competition because I didn't watch myself ready to compete with my problem in the knees, no? I really wanted to come back, or try to come back, when I feel okay to come back, no?
Because you know, when I stop, I was a little bit tired to play with pain, no? When you go to practice every day with problems and problems in your knees and these are limiting you every day, you lost a little bit the allusion to practice. You cannot practice with your intensity.

Q. How does it feel to be back in competition?
RAFAEL NADAL: Very good. Very happy to be here. I lost last week and I go out of the court very happy, no, because I thought I had a very good first set with one of the best players of the world. So very happy to be here in Cincinnati and enjoying another tournament on the tour.

Q. You talked about friends earlier. During your obligatory break you lost a good friend. How will you remember Matthew, and is it weird to be at a tournament and not see him? Is that hard?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, it was a shock, no, because when something like this happen, it's very tough for everybody, especially for the family.
But for us, too, no? Because you think a lot about these things, what happened in the last few years. You know, few weeks ago something similar happened in one important player of Spain, football player.
So in these moments I only can send all my support to the family, to the close people of Matthew.:sad: It's very difficult to accept, but that's the life, unfortunately.

What a good boi :inlove: :worship:

MariaV
08-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Rafa is always a good boi. :D :hearts:
Thanks for posting the transcript, Andreea. :hug:

acionescu
08-19-2009, 09:38 AM
And a video to go with it :inlove: :hearts: :smooch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfCDroyWuEY&eurl

acionescu
08-19-2009, 09:44 AM
OOP for Wednesday, August, 19th

CC starting at 11.00 AM local time

Nole-Ljubo ( :ras: )

followed by

RogiGOAT-Chucho( Vamos Chucho :rocker2: )

followed by

Muzza-Mucho( Cabezon :rocker2:)

followed by

Rafiangel :hearts: against Seppi :scared: :unsure:

For other interested people the battle of sexiness is 2nd match on Granstand :p

Invisible
08-19-2009, 12:21 PM
My pick is FINAL

Ria
08-19-2009, 12:38 PM
MIT pick : Quarters

shawshank
08-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Not easy to pick, but I will go with a final...
Vamos Rafito!

MariaV
08-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Oh Andreea, I forgot the obligatory :scared: :unsure: Seppi before tonight's match. :o :scared: :unsure:
And we haven't forgotten last year's Rotterdam debacle, no? :tape:

Metis
08-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Update:

1st - Bye
2nd - dorkino
3rd -
QF - Bibberz, DERO, MariaV, Metis, Minn, nashty, Ria
SF - acionescu, Laba, tennizen, wacked82, Xristos
F - Invisible, shawshank, star

I'm afraid participation has dropped in this tournament... :(

And a video to go with it :inlove: :hearts: :smooch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfCDroyWuEY&eurl

Rafa is all smiles and good cheer; looks as if someone is tickling his feet.

OOP for Wednesday, August, 19th

CC starting at 11.00 AM local time

Nole-Ljubo ( :ras: )

followed by

RogiGOAT-Chucho( Vamos Chucho :rocker2: )

followed by

Muzza-Mucho( Cabezon :rocker2:)

followed by

Rafiangel :hearts: against Seppi :scared: :unsure:

For other interested people the battle of sexiness is 2nd match on Granstand :p

Radek :hearts:

star
08-19-2009, 06:13 PM
I think I must change my pick to Final because too much traffic in SF.

Metis
08-20-2009, 01:22 AM
Nadal-Seppi 7-6 7-6

1st - Bye
2nd - dorkino
3rd -

Tsk, tsk, tsk, dorkino...

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/7/16/128922768941149980.jpg

acionescu
08-20-2009, 08:04 AM
Nadal-Seppi 7-6 7-6 and it wasn't pretty :smash: :smooch:

PHM :scared: :unsure:

:silly:

acionescu
08-20-2009, 09:21 AM
OOP Thursday, August 20th

CC start at 12.00 (noon)

The GOAT vs Ferru (:rocker2:)

followed by

Muzza-Sexy

not before 3.00 PM

Rusty-Samurai Sam

not before 7.00 PM

Rafito - PHM :scared: :unsure:

Vamos :rocker2:

Castafiore
08-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Not before 1 am here, damn.

acionescu
08-20-2009, 09:46 AM
Yep, at least I'll have it on my TV :awww:

dorkino
08-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Nadal-Seppi 7-6 7-6

Tsk, tsk, tsk, dorkino...

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/7/16/128922768941149980.jpg

:spit: :lol:

Rafa got a little bit better but still :smash: :smash:. Vamos Rafaito :hug: :hug:

PHM :scared: :scared: :eek:

Mimi
08-20-2009, 10:48 AM
:spit: :lol:

Rafa got a little bit better but still :smash: :smash:. Vamos Rafaito :hug: :hug:

PHM :scared: :scared: :eek:

my dear dorkino is here :smooch::hug::yippee::woohoo:

dorkino
08-20-2009, 11:28 AM
my dear dorkino is here :smooch::hug::yippee::woohoo:

Mimiiiiiii :hug: :hug: :kiss: :hearts: Missing you so much. How're you??

Minn
08-20-2009, 02:28 PM
OOP Thursday, August 20th

not before 7.00 PM

Rafito - PHM :scared: :unsure:

Vamos :rocker2: That time actually works well for me; I should be able to see the end of the match.

Metis, great fail, as usual.

tennizen
08-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Rafito's dream run ends today:sad:

Castafiore
08-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Transcript.
August 19, 2009

Rafael Nadal

CINCINNATI, OHIO

R. NADAL/A. Seppi
7-6, 7-6

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. First game of the match you broke after Seppi hit a lob and you had to sprint. Is the knee okay?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, the knee was good.

Q. I noticed you weren't wearing a brace like you normally do.
RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't have the band, the tape, for a long time, no? In Monte-Carlo I didn't play with tape, but I didn't play with tape because the problem is not in that position of the knee, no? The problem is in the top of the knee.

Q. Do you feel that you're getting better with each match at the moment? Do you feel better on the court?
RAFAEL NADAL: Here the ball is fast and the ball is not getting bit topspin, so it's tough. It's difficult conditions for me, no? My results here in this tournament say that. It's not easy tournament for me. My best result was last year semifinals. Always difficult for me to play a good tournament here.
But, you know, I don't know if I play very well, but I was there all the time, no? I was fighting every point, and that's the important thing, no? I don't know if it was a very good match for me, but it was very important, because these matches help me a lot to get my best performance and to get physical training, too.
So everything is positive. And, you know, the most positive thing I gonna be tomorrow another time on the court. That's important for continuing improve.

Q. I would like you to talk about your serve today. It worked well and you saved nine breakpoints from ten in the match. You had eight aces. Is that what you've been working on lately?
RAFAEL NADAL: The true is I didn't work a lot with the serve these days, no, because I had the problem in the abdominals. So it was all inspiration. (Laughter.)
No, no, sure, the serve is very important part of the game. If you are serving well, you can play the rest of the match with more calm, no? So it's important.
Today it was important. In important moments I had good serves. I had three aces in breakpoints, so that's ver good news and very happy for that.
I have to improve always my serve, but I have to continuing serving like this if I want to have chances to win tomorrow.

Q. When you say the knees are good, are you saying they don't hurt at all?
RAFAEL NADAL: Always perfect is impossible, no? But when I say it's good, I can play with no problem, no?

Q. Did this match tell you things about your physical condition, the state of your game, that the last two days of practice did not?
RAFAEL NADAL: You know, the match is always different than practice, so I played better than I practice.
But I must play better tomorrow. That's the true.

Q. The match was a very close one that turned on just a few points in both sets. Did he just play extremely well, or is that just the proof of how competitive the game is becoming?
RAFAEL NADAL: In this level there's no easy matches. All the matches are in a few points. We are playing the top 50 players of the world here. You can't win an easy match, especially in this fast court, no? So that's normal.
Sure, probably I am not playing, that's true, my best tennis. But if I play my best tennis, the match never gonna be easy against Seppi, too.

Q. Given the injury layoff, what goals do you have for the end of the year? Do you have a year-end ranking goal that you want to hit?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, the goal right now is improve every day. That's the goal, no? In one week and a half we have important tournament. You know, we have US Open, so maybe that's the -- the first goal is try and improve my tennis here a little bit more, and the second goal is try to be as better as possible in the US Open.

Q. When you say your goal is to get better, are you talking about the pain or your timing? In what way do you need to get better?
RAFAEL NADAL: When I talking about the goals, right now I'm talking about the tennis, not the knees and not that, because I hope to be okay.

Q. To be successful on hardcourt, do you need to play a more aggressive style of tennis? Do the tactics need to be the most aggressive?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, well, that's true. When I have the very good results on hardcourt I played really aggressive. I played big shots with the forehand and big shots with the backhand and playing inside the court.
But you can play inside the court when you have a good feeling. If you don't have a good feeling, it's difficult to go inside the court, no?

Q. I'm curious about what you're saying. Do you have to be entirely 100% confident in your movement and your strokes in order to play aggressive?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think I am okay in my movements. Sure, I have to improve a little bit more, because that's -- in one week is not enough to be a 100%. But I feel okay in my move.
But after feeling okay of my move, I need a little more time to adapt the speed of the ball and to get confidence. Winning matches like today is the only way to take this confidence, no?
So that's it. To be confidence and playing inside the court, I need to be in the back on the court running before.

Q. Do you think you moved well today?
RAFAEL NADAL: I can move better. I think I moved better than what I touch the ball.

Q. Do you think there's a favorite for the US Open right now, or a group of favorites? How many guys do you think have a chance of winning the Open?
RAFAEL NADAL: If I am?

Q. You or anyone. Is there a specific favorite right now, would you say?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, favorites, when one player won the last five years he's the favorite, no? But, yeah, he's favorite.
But a lot of players are coming well, no? Roddick is playing really well. Murray is doing really well. Djokovic always have his chances. He's a good player. And I hope myself. Del Potro, too.

End of FastScripts

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=58589

Metis
08-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Rafito's dream run ends today:sad:

I knew it. :mad: I shouldn't have changed my prediction. :banghead:

acionescu
08-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Q. When you say the knees are good, are you saying they don't hurt at all?
RAFAEL NADAL: Always perfect is impossible, no? But when I say it's good, I can play with no problem, no?

We have the excuse ready :banana: :bounce: :p

star
08-20-2009, 05:48 PM
I love it that Nadal always "touches" the ball. What would happen if he hit the ball? :eek:

acionescu
08-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Rafa - PHM 7-5 6-2 :dance:

Birdman next :scared: :unsure:

acionescu
08-21-2009, 09:35 AM
OOP for FRiday, August 21st

CC starting at 10.00 AM

Llodra/JWT vs Bhupati/Knowels

NB 12.00 PM

Muzza-Benneteau

followed by

RogiGOAT vs Rusty Comooooooooooooooooooon :rocker2:

NB 03.00 PM

Gillou vs Nole :zzz:

NB 07.00 PM

RafaAngel :hearts: vs Birdman ( :ras: )

MariaV
08-21-2009, 11:50 AM
OOP for FRiday, August 21st

CC starting at 10.00 AM

Llodra/JWT vs Bhupati/Knowels

NB 12.00 PM

Muzza-Benneteau

followed by

RogiGOAT vs Rusty Comooooooooooooooooooon :rocker2:

NB 03.00 PM

Gillou vs Nole :zzz:

NB 07.00 PM

RafaAngel :hearts: vs Birdman ( :ras: )

The :angel: vs :devil: smilies would do too for the last pairing. :D

I'm glad I'm finally going to win some MIT points again after such a looooong drought. Sigh. :rocker:

MariaV
08-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Q. You or anyone. Is there a specific favorite right now, would you say?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, favorites, when one player won the last five years he's the favorite, no? But, yeah, he's favorite.
But a lot of players are coming well, no? Roddick is playing really well. Murray is doing really well. Djokovic always have his chances. He's a good player. And I hope myself. Del Potro, too.

:eek: :eek: Am I seeing it right? He is saying he himself is one of the USO contenders? Now now our humble Rafito baby becoming arrogant... :o :o :help: ;)

the graduate
08-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Rafa and Bedych will be a good one,these two absolutely hate each other.I think Rafito is slowly finding his game but has some ways to go before he becomes a favourite at the Open.
does anyone know if he is in mourning,he cant even crack a smile or he is trying too hard to be mature....even seniors are goofy:rolleyes:

tennizen
08-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Why is Rafa getting all the night matches:eek:

Foxy
08-21-2009, 05:41 PM
:eek: :eek: Am I seeing it right? He is saying he himself is one of the USO contenders? Now now our humble Rafito baby becoming arrogant... :o :o :help: ;)

:haha:
That sentence impressed me too. He is hungry for GS, I guess.
I am so craving to see Rafa fall down on the court in NYC.

kaylee
08-21-2009, 08:10 PM
I thought he was referring to Roger but perhaps I took it out of context!

Metis
08-22-2009, 01:57 AM
Nadal-Berdych 6-4 7-5 :yeah:

1st - Bye
2nd - dorkino
3rd -

Bibberz, DERO, MariaV, Metis, Minn, nashty, Ria: I'm happy to report that you FAILed and I'm guessing none of you is particularly sad about it. Off the boat you go! :D

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/6/26/128905269841221789.jpg

Minn
08-22-2009, 02:13 AM
:lol:

I hope to see acionescu, Laba, tennizen, wacked82, and Xristos FAIL tomorrow.

Thanos
08-22-2009, 02:15 AM
oi!

that just being mean! me and hema got this in the bag

n8
08-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Go Nadal against Djokovic. Nadal is 14-4 overall, but behind 3-4 against Djokovic on hard courts.

acionescu
08-22-2009, 08:39 AM
OOP for Saturday, August 22nd

CC starting 12.00 noon

Bhupati/Knowles vs Nestor/Zimonjic :hearts:

NB 02.00 PM

RogiGOAT :ras: vs Muzza

NB 07.00 PM

Nole :nerner: vs RafaAngel :inlove:

Can't find Rafito's pressers from yesterday :sad: Help!!!!!!!!!!

Castafiore
08-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Can't find Rafito's pressers from yesterday :sad: Help!!!!!!!!!!

Here it is:
August 20, 2009

Rafael Nadal

CINCINNATI, OHIO

R. NADAL/P. Mathieu
7-5, 6-2

Q. It felt like you had bad calls go against you. How did you avoid getting too frustrated?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, that's just sport, no? Sometimes in your favor, sometimes against, no? Sometimes it's tough, because I had important in one breakpoint. But for the rest, doesn't matter.

Q. In the second set, you played so much better than you did in either of the two sets yesterday or the first set today. What was different? What clicked for you?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I think I started the match playing bad, especially with my backhand I had a lot of mistakes. But during the match I change a little bit, and I, yeah, I improved my level when the match was coming, no?
So I think in the end of the first set I played better, and in the end of -- well, in all the second set I was playing very well, no? So very heavy for that.
Sure, very happy to be in quarterfinals and to continuing improve my tennis.

Q. What do you think the fans here in Cincinnati? When you're on the court, what do you like about the people here?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, there's good crowd always. Good atmosphere, so always I am very happy to be here.

Q. It seemed in the second set also your tactics were much more aggressive. You were more attacking the ball. Is this right? And was it because of having more confidence in your game?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I started to feel better the ball with the forehand. I really played well with my forehand in the second set.
Sure, I feel it and I had the chance to go inside more times than all the matches in this American season, no? So happy for that, because I played in some important points some good winners with the forehand, and I finished playing much better with the backhand, and serving okay, all the match.

Q. What was the strategy going into the match in terms of were you trying to attack a specific shot of his, forehand, backhand, or...
RAFAEL NADAL: Today.

Q. Yeah, today.
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I don't think about a lot of tactics, no? I just try to feel well on the court, try to, if it's possible, to play aggressive. And I know he has a very good backhand, especially if he has place to go. He always play very fast shot.
But for the rest, I only try to play aggressive with the return and trying to put a little bit more power behind the baseline, no? Sometimes trying to play a little bit long.
But I did better after, because in the beginning with the backhand I was playing very short.

Q. Did you feel your timing was better today? If so, it was a matter of positioning?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think I lost less court than yesterday for sure, no? And I defended a little bit more inside the court, so that's important.
I finished playing better because I changed the directions easier than yesterday. In the beginning I only was playing cross backhand, and then I finished playing down the line, too. That's very important for my game, to have the confidence to change the place of the shots.

Q. How do you feel going into the quarters and looking on to the US Open?
RAFAEL NADAL: Very happy to be in quarterfinals, because I think that's important for my physical training, too, no? Playing matches, you get more rhythm and more physical performance, so I feel okay right now.

Q. What do you think about Berdych next? You've had some good matches with him in the past.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I lost a few times. I won another couple of times. I lost against him here in unbelievable match in 2005. I know the court is fast, and the conditions is good for him, I think. But I'm here to try my best and to find a solution to try to win.

Q. What's the difference between having Francisco and Uncle Toni in the stands?
RAFAEL NADAL: Not much. Not much. I feel very comfortable with both.

Q. In the second set especially it seemed you got to several balls that seemed like they were winners. You know, you ran them down and returned them for winners also. Did you sense that demoralized him a little bit or made him try desperate things or affected him?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no. That's one of my best shots on the tennis court, no? When I had the very, very tough point in very difficult condition, a lot of times I save a very difficult shot with another very good shot.
So that's very important part of my game. When I am with confidence and I'm physically well, I can do it.
So it's a very good news if I start to do shots like the passing shot with the backhand.

Q. You seemed absolutely thrilled after the match with your level of play. How great does it feel to be back smacking around tennis balls after such a long layoff?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, it's nice to be on court another time. I said in Montreal, only be here is very nice feeling for me. Sure, when you start to play better and you play your best match after coming back off injury, I must be really happy of that, no?
So for that reason I'm happy, because I think I played my best match after injury.

End of FastScripts

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=58614

A quote about yesterday's match (credit to babi from vamosbrigade for finding and translating it):
"I think I am making a little more progress by day and today it was a very good match for me."
"Beating Tomas in this surface is such a victory to me, I am very happy for it. When I arrived here I really didn't expect to go this far but now I believe anything can happen"
"After a two months layoff playing matches like I did against PHM and Berdych in such high level tournaments is really good news. In normal conditions my goal coming here would be the title, but right now being in the semifinals is already perfecto to me because it is giving me confidence for USO"

http://www2.uol.com.br/tenisbrasil/diaadia/ult138u41740.htm

From the website of Alejandro Sanz (credit to rafafanatic from vamosbrigade for finding that one):
Ánimo Rafa!!... Let's go Rafa!!
by Alejandro Sanz — última modificación 21/08/2009 11:17

Aprovecho para felicitar a Nadal por haberse clasificado para los cuartos de final del Masters 1000 de Cincinnati. Estoy seguro de que conseguirá este Masters 1000 y pronto recuperara el Nº1 de la ATP, ya que es el mejor tenista del Mundo. Vamos Rafa!!!

I would like to congratulate Nadal for qualifying for the Cincinnati Masters 1000 quarter finals. I’m sure he´ll get this Masters 1000 and soon he will recover ATP´s No.1, because he is the best tennis player of the world. Let´s go Rafa!

acionescu
08-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks Hilde :hatoff: ( and the VB squad :kiss: )

safinafan
08-22-2009, 06:07 PM
alejandro, the singer?

Castafiore
08-22-2009, 06:40 PM
alejandro, the singer?
Indeed, that Alejandro Sanz.

safinafan
08-22-2009, 07:43 PM
cool

star
08-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks to everyone for the quotes!

Getta
08-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Yesterday's presser:

August 21, 2009

R. NADAL/T. Berdych

6-4, 7-5

An interview with:
RAFAEL NADAL

Q. How pleased were you with that performance out there tonight?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, very happy, no? I think I improved every day a little bit more, so today I played very good match. I think normal level when I am on rhythm, so that's very good news. Win against Tomas on this surface is very good win for me, so I'm very happy for that. Sure, very, very good news being in the semifinals. When I arrived here, I didn't expect to be in this round, so very happy. Anything can happen right now, because my tournament is very good for me.

Q. Are you looking forward to playing Novak again tomorrow? You played him last year here in the semifinals, and you've played him a lot.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, sure I gonna try to be competitive to try to fight to win. So that's what I gonna do, and we will see what happens later.

Q. In the volleys, were you putting more spin on the ball? Looked like you were putting more spin than you had previously.

RAFAEL NADAL: I think I had a very good feeling, especially on the forehand. So I went inside more. I was going inside more times. So I think especially in the beginning I played almost perfect match. Later Tomas starting to serve very, very well, and it was difficult to return the serve. With the second serve he is going higher too, and he had the position inside the court early. It's difficult to put out Tomas of this position, no? But I didn't lost court. I was all the time close to the baseline, so that's what I -- when I went through the match, that's what I tried to do. So I did, and very happy, because I think I did and I did well.

Q. Why did you not expect to make it to the semifinals? You made it the semifinals here last year, even though you lost the match. Is this not a tournament that you think normally you're going to win?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, sure, it's a very good news being in the semifinal, no? After two months outside, the second tournament, playing two matches like this, like against Mathieu last night and against Berdych today. So it's very good news, no? Sure, if I am in normal conditions I am coming here with the goal play a good tournament and try to win the tournament. But in this conditions, being be in semifinals is perfect for me, because I think that's more confidence for the US Open. For sure it's very important, this tournament. And this tournament, be in semifinals is very important. We will see right now.

Q. As you try to get back to the form you had before your injury, does it really help to you play the top guys? Does playing someone like Djokovic help you get further along?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think the match is tomorrow. Any result gonna help me more to get more level, no? Because it's another, I don't know (Through translation) another step of level. I had to push myself to this new step to try to win. That's what I gonna try. I know if tomorrow I have a good match and the result is there, it's close, I am there.

Q. What is the most difficult thing for you when you've come back from injury? What's the hardest thing to get good again?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, get the routines. You know, when you are playing and you are with confidence, you don't need to think a lot about every point, no, because you do automatically. You do the things. Right now it's more difficult because it's the beginning and you have to think a lot of time. But I think I today I did very well, no? Because when I have 15-30 -- well, I don't have a lot of 15-30, no, but when I had Love-15 or something like this I had a good serve, good forehand. So when I had to play aggressive and when I had to win a point, I was there playing the point, no? So sometimes when you are coming back off an injury in the beginning you know the point is very important and I have stupid mistake. So that's more difficult thing, no? Try to do the right things in important moments.

Q. Looking back to last year when you played Djokovic in the semifinals and lost, what do you have to do differently tomorrow that you perhaps couldn't do last year to win?

RAFAEL NADAL: A lot of things, no? I think I arrived last year to the semifinals very tired. I did my goal here, being in semifinals to be No. 1. So, you know, I wasn't pleased about my result, but I won in Wimbledon, Roland Garros, Toronto, and it was a lot of efforts, no? It was too much, no? So maybe I was a little bit tired. Tomorrow maybe I can lose 6-2, 6-2, but the mentality gonna be different.

Q. Will you watch any of Federer and Murray or just stay focused on your match?

RAFAEL NADAL: What time they play?

THE MODERATOR: 2:00.

RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, gonna see a little bit.

Q. Did you watch Wimbledon, Rafa?

RAFAEL NADAL: I watched the final.

Q. How did it feel to watch that fifth set?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, it was emotional, no? A lot of emotion in one important match like the final of Wimbledon. The match was so close. Roddick had one 15-40. So, yeah, these kind of matches are special. For everybody I think it's nice to see these kind of matches.

Laba
08-23-2009, 04:33 AM
I really, really, really didn't wanna fucking be right about him losing in the Semis. :(

Had a great opportunity to become the first player to make 9 different MS finals. :sad:

acionescu
08-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Rafa lost to Nole 6-1 6-4 :crying2:

I won in MIT. Again :bigcry: :bigcry:

Metis
08-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Nadal-Djokovic 1-6 4-6 :(

1st - Bye
2nd - dorkino
3rd -

Invisible, shawshank, star, Foxy, SnooFoo, wilmar: you are in FAIL shape :help:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/8/5/128939689865870079.jpg

acionescu, Laba, tennizen, wacked82 and Xristos on the other hand... :aplot:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/6/24/128903316746549063.jpg

:devil:

dorkino
08-23-2009, 10:28 AM
:lol: @ the thread title.

Q. Looking back to last year when you played Djokovic in the semifinals and lost, what do you have to do differently tomorrow that you perhaps couldn't do last year to win?

RAFAEL NADAL: A lot of things, no? I think I arrived last year to the semifinals very tired. I did my goal here, being in semifinals to be No. 1. So, you know, I wasn't pleased about my result, but I won in Wimbledon, Roland Garros, Toronto, and it was a lot of efforts, no? It was too much, no? So maybe I was a little bit tired. Tomorrow maybe I can lose 6-2, 6-2, but the mentality gonna be different.

Rafaito :hug:

Hopefully Rafa would be able to find the good form again.

Nadal_Fanatic
08-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Seemed like something was bothering Nadal's serve. All he could do against Djokovic was spin the ball in. Hopefully he isn't injured. Anyways it was good preparation for the US Open. Djokovic seems to read Nadal's game very well. Best to be number 3 for now for that reason alone.

the graduate
08-25-2009, 05:53 AM
the bull is back :worship:at least he reached the semis,thats great for someone who had been on a two month break.