Who is next young talent to join Murray, Nadal, Djok and Del P [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is next young talent to join Murray, Nadal, Djok and Del P

jcempire
08-17-2009, 05:12 AM
name your own favorite.

Must be younger than 23 years old

Murray, nadal, Djok and Del P are future of tennis. They are already four of Top 5 and will continues to dominate for next 10 years.

Are Only this four or have another name to come?

mgorganchian
08-17-2009, 05:24 AM
IMO in 3 years these players will be top 10:
Tomic, Bernard 1992
Dimitrov, Grigor 1991
Krajinovic, Filip, 1992

I am almost sure that these will not dominate but some of these players may reach top 20:

Nishikori, Kei 1989
Young, Donald 1989
Janowicz, Jerzy 1990
Evans, Daniel 1990
Del Bonis, Federico 1990

kai.
08-17-2009, 05:33 AM
Argie? ..
Andrea Collarini :p

Is the only one than i have seen with future..

Arkulari
08-17-2009, 05:41 AM
isn't Juan Martin the youngest top 100 player? :scratch:

for what I've seen lately in Challengers events, most people are quite old (25+) and the supposed future "stars" have yet to make a breakthrough, all the great players of this time (Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro, Roddick, Gonzalez, Nalbandian, Safin, Hewitt, etc, etc, etc) were in the top 100 when they were 18 and have already started making noise (example: Federer took Rafter to 4 sets at RG when he was 17, you could say it was easy since it wasn't Rafter's best surface, but it was Roger's first pro GS match and the guy was still a young teen vs a GS winner :shrug: )

people like Dimitrov, Krajinovic, Young have been a lot of dissapointment, they get thrown WC for events, lose in the first rounds, don't get enough match practise to build rhythm, get frustrated, etc

nothing better than get all the process from Futures to Challengers to ATP, playing all the Qualies and learning to deal with different issues that come around as they grow as players :shrug:

mgorganchian
08-17-2009, 05:41 AM
Both Collarini and Velotti have a very nice game but they need to play more profesional matches to show what oportunity they have to be good contenders.

On the other hand with almost the same age: Krajnovic, Tomic and Dimitrov are already showing their tennis at top level...

GlennMirnyi
08-17-2009, 05:43 AM
Del Potro is not a talent. Please...

TMJordan
08-17-2009, 05:50 AM

If he isn't than who is?

mgorganchian
08-17-2009, 05:54 AM
isn't Juan Martin the youngest top 100 player? :scratch:

for what I've seen lately in Challengers events, most people are quite old (25+) and the supposed future "stars" have yet to make a breakthrough, all the great players of this time (Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro, Roddick, Gonzalez, Nalbandian, Safin, Hewitt, etc, etc, etc) were in the top 100 when they were 18 and have already started making noise (example: Federer took Rafter to 4 sets at RG when he was 17, you could say it was easy since it wasn't Rafter's best surface, but it was Roger's first pro GS match and the guy was still a young teen vs a GS winner :shrug: )

people like Dimitrov, Krajinovic, Young have been a lot of dissapointment, they get thrown WC for events, lose in the first rounds, don't get enough match practise to build rhythm, get frustrated, etc

nothing better than get all the process from Futures to Challengers to ATP, playing all the Qualies and learning to deal with different issues that come around as they grow as players :shrug:

Nishikori is now #100 and he was bornt 29-dec-1989 so he is the youngest since this week but upto last week DelPo was the youngest which shows the huge difference between the top ones and the coming "stars"...

I agree that none of the coming players has done as well as Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Del Potro, Nalbandian or even any of the previous top 10. I am argentine and I remember Coria winning Viņa in 2001 when he was very young...

Arkulari
08-17-2009, 06:00 AM
yes, the Fed generation is quite strong, in 1998 for example Gonzo, Roger and Nalby won RG, Wimbledon and the US Open Junior, there's Hewitt, Safin, Roddick, Gaudio, Coria, Ferrero as well ;)

Rafa's generation isn't quite as strong, even if one could put him on the previous one because he peaked very young ;)

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/1457/51738411.jpg (http://img517.imageshack.us/i/51738411.jpg/)

6 GS winners on that picture, and they are all more or less from the same generation ;)

I watched a challenger event not a month ago and the amount of old guns present was staggering, most players were more than 25 years old and it seems to be the norm, nowadays you don't see 17-18 year old guys playing these kinds of events, or at least the ones I've seen :shrug:

top 10 2004 Year Ending:

1 Federer, Roger
2 Roddick, Andy
3 Hewitt, Lleyton
4 Safin, Marat
5 Moya, Carlos
6 Henman, Tim
7 Coria, Guillermo
8 Agassi, Andre
9 Nalbandian, David
10 Gaudio, Gaston

top 10 2008 Year Ending:

1 Nadal, Rafael
2 Federer, Roger
3 Djokovic, Novak
4 Murray, Andy
5 Davydenko, Nikolay
6 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried
7 Simon, Gilles
8 Roddick, Andy
9 Del Potro, Juan Martin
10 Blake, James

in bold GS winners ;)

whist
08-17-2009, 06:08 AM
Nishikori is now #100 and he was bornt 29-dec-1989 so he is the youngest since this week but upto last week DelPo was the youngest which shows the huge difference between the top ones and the coming "stars"...

Čilić is 5 days younger then Del Potro :wavey:

GlennMirnyi
08-17-2009, 06:12 AM
If he isn't than who is?

Tsonga is talented.

Pony isn't.

Sapeod
08-17-2009, 06:12 AM
I love how Roddick has broken the mould and is wearing different shoes to the others in that picture :lol:

TMJordan
08-17-2009, 06:14 AM
Tsonga is talented.

Pony isn't.

Tsonga is 3 years older than him.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Tsonga much more than Del Potro but obviously he is doing somthing right, his forehand is a great shot no matter what you say.

Also Del Potro is 3-0 vs. Tsonga. So what does that say? He has to be somewhat talented...

kai.
08-17-2009, 06:16 AM

What happens with you? you are always against JMDP..
did y bet on him and he lost?
no way tsonga is more talented than JMDP :rolleyes:

Arkulari
08-17-2009, 06:17 AM
Raonic could be one to watch, he's still developing his game but seems to be good ;)

Tsonga is a flashy player, the one with ups and downs, can beat anyone one given day but can also lose to anyone as well, he's not very consistent headwise and sometimes risks too much and misses for a lot when it isn't needed

Maybe Juan Martin cannot make the same spectacular kind of shots, but he's been very consistent and is slowly grinding his place into the big leagues, he can be very patient when he wants to and has his head very well screwed for someone so young :yeah:

kai.
08-17-2009, 06:20 AM
What about Boluda from ESP? i listen than he rocks, but i never saw him playing :scratch:

GlennMirnyi
08-17-2009, 06:20 AM
What about Boluda from ESP? i listen than he rocks, but i never saw him playing :scratch:

He's a boludo. :p

jcempire
08-17-2009, 06:27 AM
Tsonga is talented.

Pony isn't.

sounds like you hate Del.

6-6 Del who move very quickly as 6-1 guys

Of course he is one of most favorite

GlennMirnyi
08-17-2009, 06:31 AM
sounds like you hate Del.

6-6 Del who move very quickly as 6-1 guys

Of course he is one of most favorite

He has no variety and ballbashing/grinding won't win him matches against the real top players.

He's also a pansy and can't even stand long 3-set matches. How the hell is he going to endure 5-set matches against top players?

tennis2tennis
08-17-2009, 06:46 AM
name your own favorite.

Murray, nadal, Djok and Del P are future of tennis. They are already four of Top 5 and will continues to dominate for next 10 years.

shoudln't u wait until murray and Del P actually win a major before you put thim in with rafe and nole?

JoshDragon
08-17-2009, 07:12 AM
IMO in 3 years these players will be top 10:
Tomic, Bernard 1992
Dimitrov, Grigor 1991
Krajinovic, Filip, 1992

I am almost sure that these will not dominate but some of these players may reach top 20:

Nishikori, Kei 1989
Young, Donald 1989
Janowicz, Jerzy 1990
Evans, Daniel 1990
Del Bonis, Federico 1990
JoshDragon 1990

You forgot me.;)

Ad Wim
08-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Chardy.

stzenit
08-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Korolev & Gulbis :o:o:o :lol: :lol: :lol: Brainless disappointments.

Well in the next 5 years i expect one of these two players to be up there.

I am really keeping my eye on these two

Bernard Tomic(16) & Andrey Kuznetsov(18)

Tomic reached the second round of Australian Open this year. Very talented Australia's hope, as long as pressure and expectation don't get to him.

Kuznetsov won junior Wimbledon this year and is doing well in the futures(won a tourney yesterday) i think he has a strong mentality probably can fire up the rankings soon.

Here is a youtube link of these two playing the Wimbledon 2009 juniors Semi Final against one another(4min highlights)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbuqgWNtpiA

Just throwing some other names around. :)

HattonWBA
08-17-2009, 01:31 PM
I would like to say Kei, but given his fitness worries i can see him becoming a great player however in comparison to the listed guys it is very doubtful, Tomic has not really impressed me but the guy is 16 and therefore could be a force especially with what i am guessing will be a very good serve, Dimitrov has looked great on several occasion when i have seen him although inconsistancy is his problem at the minute, solid challenger results would be more encouraging however he is getting a good result and then losing soon after, Donald Young for me is not going to do anything significant, he may become a very good player at about 21, 22 but dont see the great career many predicted of him. Hopefully Bhambri can be the awesome player but really not sure there is one at this moment standing out from the pack.

rubbERR
08-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Delpo cant win long 3 set matches says GlennMirnyi: 3-6 7-5 7-6 against Roddick, 4-6 6-3 7-6 Against Hewitt, hes played 6 three set matches these past weeks winning 5 of them and lost that one to Murray.

Julio
08-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Florent Serra !!! :)

Bilbo
08-17-2009, 01:48 PM
E. Gulbis

ImmzB
08-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Gasquet

Machiavelli
08-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Gulbis, future GOAT, amazing talent, and balls of steel, Rocky type of fighter...

green25814
08-17-2009, 02:34 PM
The next big star from the young guns will be Jordan Cox (US). He's got some serious talent. Reminds me of Murray, but he potentially has much more power.

Unusually, he is an excellent grass court player too.

Burrow
08-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Jonathan Eysseric :lol:

ballbasher101
08-17-2009, 03:00 PM
I am really strugggling to come up with any names :scratch: Nishikori and the so called future GOAT Grigor are the only ones that come to mind.

stebs
08-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Here is a youtube link of these two playing the Wimbledon 2009 juniors Semi Final against one another(4min highlights)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbuqgWNtpiA

The match point for Kusnetsov is a 50 stroke rally. In a way it's typical of junior tennis, not willing to take the risks on big points, still some impressive shots as well.

I agree there aren't a lot of very strong looking players coming up who are easy to see. I look forward for the next occasion when a guy bursts onto the scene at a young age. I think very young players performing well do add something to the game.

star
08-17-2009, 03:35 PM
yes, the Fed generation is quite strong, in 1998 for example Gonzo, Roger and Nalby won RG, Wimbledon and the US Open Junior, there's Hewitt, Safin, Roddick, Gaudio, Coria, Ferrero as well ;)

Rafa's generation isn't quite as strong, even if one could put him on the previous one because he peaked very young ;)

6 GS winners on that picture, and they are all more or less from the same generation ;)

I watched a challenger event not a month ago and the amount of old guns present was staggering, most players were more than 25 years old and it seems to be the norm, nowadays you don't see 17-18 year old guys playing these kinds of events, or at least the ones I've seen :shrug:

top 10 2004 Year Ending:

1 Federer, Roger
2 Roddick, Andy
3 Hewitt, Lleyton
4 Safin, Marat
5 Moya, Carlos
6 Henman, Tim
7 Coria, Guillermo
8 Agassi, Andre
9 Nalbandian, David
10 Gaudio, Gaston

top 10 2008 Year Ending:

1 Nadal, Rafael
2 Federer, Roger
3 Djokovic, Novak
4 Murray, Andy
5 Davydenko, Nikolay
6 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried
7 Simon, Gilles
8 Roddick, Andy
9 Del Potro, Juan Martin
10 Blake, James

in bold GS winners ;)

Interesting to me that the only two players in the top ten in both the years you selected are Andy and Fed.

Tsonga is 3 years older than him.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Tsonga much more than Del Potro but obviously he is doing somthing right, his forehand is a great shot no matter what you say.

Also Del Potro is 3-0 vs. Tsonga. So what does that say? He has to be somewhat talented...

I guess we will have to endure years of hearing how D-Po is a talentless ball basher. That's good news for his fans. Even if I don't particularly care for D-Po, I can see that he's an awesome player.

The match point for Kusnetsov is a 50 stroke rally. In a way it's typical of junior tennis, not willing to take the risks on big points, still some impressive shots as well.

I agree there aren't a lot of very strong looking players coming up who are easy to see. I look forward for the next occasion when a guy bursts onto the scene at a young age. I think very young players performing well do add something to the game.

I agree Nadal was stunning when he first came on the pro circuit. And Roddick too when he announced his presence at 18 by beating Sampras at Miami and then going on to win two small tournaments back to back. Hewitt as well was exciting when he beat some of the top players at a young age.

It's an exciting thing, but players have different arcs. Certainly, Federer toiled before he found his selbstvertrauen and began to win everything in sight.

For me, tennis is great because it isn't the same ever. There's always something new and unexpected. I only languish when tennis becomes predictable.

stebs
08-17-2009, 04:00 PM
I agree Nadal was stunning when he first came on the pro circuit. And Roddick too when he announced his presence at 18 by beating Sampras at Miami and then going on to win two small tournaments back to back. Hewitt as well was exciting when he beat some of the top players at a young age.

It's an exciting thing, but players have different arcs. Certainly, Federer toiled before he found his selbstvertrauen and began to win everything in sight.

For me, tennis is great because it isn't the same ever. There's always something new and unexpected. I only languish when tennis becomes predictable.

I think it's great to have a mixture of different kinds of players in their styles, attitudes and career arcs and consistency as well. There are quite a few guys right now who are near the start of what should be their peak years (Murray, Djokovic, Del Potro) as well as Nadal right in the midst of his and a legend in Federer edging toward the end of his. That is an enjoyable thing to be seeing on tour right now and long may it continue in my eyes. It will only get better if we see a really young guy exploding onto the scene.

BigJohn
08-17-2009, 04:46 PM
name your own favorite.

Who knows? Murray and Del Potro could be around for some times, but I am afraid it is a bit of a stretch to see Nadal dominate for 10 more years. He did for almost a year and broke down.

Djokovic has pretty a good chance to dominate his way out of the top the 5 pretty soon.

safinafan
08-17-2009, 04:51 PM
cilic and isner

GlennMirnyi
08-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Delpo cant win long 3 set matches says GlennMirnyi: 3-6 7-5 7-6 against Roddick, 4-6 6-3 7-6 Against Hewitt, hes played 6 three set matches these past weeks winning 5 of them and lost that one to Murray.

He did beat Murray after all, didn't he?

You might be legally retarded.

Dougie
08-17-2009, 05:23 PM
I think it's great to have a mixture of different kinds of players in their styles, attitudes and career arcs and consistency as well. There are quite a few guys right now who are near the start of what should be their peak years (Murray, Djokovic, Del Potro) as well as Nadal right in the midst of his and a legend in Federer edging toward the end of his. That is an enjoyable thing to be seeing on tour right now and long may it continue in my eyes. It will only get better if we see a really young guy exploding onto the scene.

Youīre right, all the aspects are there, except contrasts in style. Iīm afraid there wonīt be a legendary rivalry among the mentioned players, because the playing styles are just too similar. Agassi and Sampras needed each other to bring out the best in each other. Same with McEnroe and Borg. After Federer has retired or faded into mediocrity (heīll probably quit before that, though) we might be looking at some pretty boring GS finals if Murray, Djokovic and Del Potro supply the goods.

The best thing to happen would be a young, aggressive, athletic serve and volleyer to break into top 10. Wouldnīt hurt if heīd be a little temperamental, as well.

rocketassist
08-17-2009, 05:31 PM

Mate, the diversity of tennis surfaces has gone, don't you think that's a bit of a bad thing? Out of the six guys considered slam contenders, they all get to the business end of every tournament on any surface bar special exceptions (Roddick on clay, Del Potro on grass), don't you think that suggests that depth is lacking?

stebs
08-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Mate, the diversity of tennis surfaces has gone, don't you think that's a bit of a bad thing?
Yeah, it's a shame.

Out of the six guys considered slam contenders, they all get to the business end of every tournament on any surface bar special exceptions (Roddick on clay, Del Potro on grass), don't you think that suggests that depth is lacking?
Not really. When there are a load of upsets and you can get a load of different players going deep people say the top players are weak. When the top players are going deep in most tournaments people say the rest of the field is weak. You can't have it both ways. It just depends what you prefer to see.

Also, looking at the big events. There are some other guys making waves as well. Verdasco ain't in top 6, SF of the AO. Gonzalez, SF of RG. Soderling, F of RG. Haas, SF of Wimbledon. That's 4 players outside the top 6 who have a GS SF this year. Inside the top 6 Davydenko and Djokovic haven't done it so that is 4 players inside the top 6 as well.

GlennMirnyi
08-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Yeah, it's a shame.

Not really. When there are a load of upsets and you can get a load of different players going deep people say the top players are weak. When the top players are going deep in most tournaments people say the rest of the field is weak. You can't have it both ways. It just depends what you prefer to see.

Also, looking at the big events. There are some other guys making waves as well. Verdasco ain't in top 6, SF of the AO. Gonzalez, SF of RG. Soderling, F of RG. Haas, SF of Wimbledon. That's 4 players outside the top 6 who have a GS SF this year. Inside the top 6 Davydenko and Djokovic haven't done it so that is 4 players inside the top 6 as well.

How can you say that with a straight face.

If top 20 players can't upset top 10 players, there's a perspicuous lack of depth.

stebs
08-17-2009, 05:45 PM
If top 20 players can't upset top 10 players, there's a perspicuous lack of depth.
Like I said in the previous post. It depends on how you look at it and what you prefer. If you like watching the top 8 players facing off regularly then this is a good time. If, like you, you are a fan of some guys lower down the rankings and don't enjoy the top players then this is obviously going to be frustrating. I didn't actually say which side of that spectrum I fall upon.

rubbERR
08-17-2009, 05:50 PM
He did beat Murray after all, didn't he?

You might be legally retarded.

i think you are...you said that he cant win these long 3 set matches, you fucking .... :lol:

GlennMirnyi
08-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Like I said in the previous post. It depends on how you look at it and what you prefer. If you like watching the top 8 players facing off regularly then this is a good time. If, like you, you are a fan of some guys lower down the rankings and don't enjoy the top players then this is obviously going to be frustrating. I didn't actually say which side of that spectrum I fall upon.

I'm a tennis fan, and therefore I'm not a fan of top players that play all the same and seem to have been made all of the same fabric. It's not about ranking. Before, thanks to the bigger diversity of styles allowed by the courts, rackets, etc., players of the most diverse styles could have their chance to make it to the top. Nowadays, that's not possible.

i think you are...you said that he cant win these long 3 set matches, you fucking monkey :lol:

:lol: monkey.

That's racist. Watch your mouth.

rubbERR
08-17-2009, 05:58 PM
you are insulting some players all the time calling them "mugs" so i think you should watch your mouth. :lol:

stebs
08-17-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm a tennis fan, and therefore I'm not a fan of top players that play all the same and seem to have been made all of the same fabric. It's not about ranking. Before, thanks to the bigger diversity of styles allowed by the courts, rackets, etc., players of the most diverse styles could have their chance to make it to the top. Nowadays, that's not possible.

I hope that we will see players with a greater diversity of styles coming back again in the future. I certainly don't see it happening very soon but these things do tend to go in swings and roundabouts.

rocketassist
08-17-2009, 06:01 PM
How can you say that with a straight face.

This backs it up, in my opinion.

The top 20 thirteen years ago of 1996.

1 Sampras, Pete (USA) 4,318 0 17 -14 time grand slam champion, 286 weeks at no 1
2 Muster, Thomas (AUT) 3,722 0 26 - a Nadal-type player and an absolute beast on clay, reached no 1 in the world and won RG. Fitness-wise he was phenomenal.
3 Chang, Michael (USA) 3,522 0 20 - topspin grinder but won a slam and reached two other finals. Tough warrior to beat.
4 Kafelnikov, Yevgeny (RUS) 3,178 0 27 - Great ballstriker with an excellent backhand, 2 grand slam titles and Olympic gold.
5 Becker, Boris (GER) 3,091 0 15 - 6 slams, great serve, great forehand, superb at the net and at the back.
6 Ivanisevic, Goran (CRO) 2,831 1 24 - made several Wimbledon finals and won one
7 Krajicek, Richard (NED) 2,434 1 24 - Wimbledon champion, demon serve
8 Agassi, Andre (USA) 2,399 -2 14 - golden slam, legend of the game
9 Courier, Jim (USA) 2,337 0 21 - Physically demanding playing style but a grand slam champion and world no 1
10 Ferreira, Wayne (RSA) 2,334 0 27 - the weak link so far, even though he was a good player
11 Rios, Marcelo (CHI) 1,954 0 27 - world no 1 player, exceptional shotmaker despite not winning a slam, he was what Murray is now, the Masters Series master
12 Washington, MaliVai (USA) 1,898 1 24 - reached a Wimbledon final, a bit limited but he did well
13 Martin, Todd (USA) 1,667 2 20 - Great player, top athlete, reached two major finals
14 Enqvist, Thomas (SWE) 1,662 -2 26 - an absolute monster on an indoor court with his game and he reached a slam final as well as win several Masters titles
15 Costa, Albert (ESP) 1,633 -1 26 - won RG and made a final, definitely a candidate for all time top 10 on clay
16 Mantilla, Felix (ESP) 1,526 3 32 - schooled Fed in Rome and was a solid clay court player, very tough for top players on that surface
17 Rosset, Marc (SUI) 1,509 -1 26 - Olympic gold medallist
18 Pioline, Cedric (FRA) 1,500 -1 27 - Wimbledon finalist
19 Stich, Michael (GER) - Wimbledon champion
20 Jan Siemerink - Good serve volleyer but he and Ferreira are the weak link

18 out of 20 who have won slams, been to no 1, made a slam final or won masters/Olympic titles. Very diverse surface specialists too.

That is what I call a strong era of tennis.

Everko
08-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Talk about short attention spans. Delpo Murray are just now being top and you are already bored of them?

stebs
08-17-2009, 06:09 PM
18 out of 20 who have won slams, been to no 1, made a slam final or won masters/Olympic titles. Very diverse surface specialists too.

Very good group of players although it's not like all of them were actually playing their best tennis at that time and really it's more that the names are extreme quality than the tennis they were all playing at the time (though some were playing great). It's the same as if you had Hewitt, Ferrero, Safin etc... all in the top 10 as they play now, would it make it a stronger era? I think no. That's not to say that all those guys were declined in the same ways but there are parables to be drawn.

What impresses me most is what you say about the diversity of surface specialists and styles as well. Gives the different times of year more meaning and puts more pressure on people to perform where they are strongest.

GlennMirnyi
08-17-2009, 06:10 PM
you are insulting some players all the time calling them "mugs" so i think you should watch your mouth. :lol:

There's a huge difference between calling someone a mug and a racial insult, mate. :rolleyes:

I hope that we will see players with a greater diversity of styles coming back again in the future. I certainly don't see it happening very soon but these things do tend to go in swings and roundabouts.

I don't know. Things vary if they have freedom of variation. The variables of the game have been fixed for some times, that's why there's not a chance for bigger diversity. If you confine the game to a specific set of conditions, like it has been for the past 5 years, you're not going to let the natural swings come and go as they should.

Dougie
08-17-2009, 06:11 PM

1 Sampras, Pete (USA) 4,318 0 17 -14 time grand slam champion, 286 weeks at no 1
2 Muster, Thomas (AUT) 3,722 0 26 - a Nadal-type player and an absolute beast on clay, reached no 1 in the world and won RG. Fitness-wise he was phenomenal.
3 Chang, Michael (USA) 3,522 0 20 - topspin grinder but won a slam and reached two other finals. Tough warrior to beat.
4 Kafelnikov, Yevgeny (RUS) 3,178 0 27 - Great ballstriker with an excellent backhand, 2 grand slam titles and Olympic gold.
5 Becker, Boris (GER) 3,091 0 15 - 6 slams, great serve, great forehand, superb at the net and at the back.
6 Ivanisevic, Goran (CRO) 2,831 1 24 - made several Wimbledon finals and won one
9 Courier, Jim (USA) 2,337 0 21 - Physically demanding playing style but a grand slam champion and world no 1
10 Ferreira, Wayne (RSA) 2,334 0 27 - the weak link so far, even though he was a good player
11 Rios, Marcelo (CHI) 1,954 0 27 - world no 1 player, exceptional shotmaker despite not winning a slam, he was what Murray is now, the Masters Series master
12 Washington, MaliVai (USA) 1,898 1 24 - reached a Wimbledon final, a bit limited but he did well
13 Martin, Todd (USA) 1,667 2 20 - Great player, top athlete, reached two major finals
14 Enqvist, Thomas (SWE) 1,662 -2 26 - an absolute monster on an indoor court with his game and he reached a slam final as well as win several Masters titles
15 Costa, Albert (ESP) 1,633 -1 26 - won RG and made a final, definitely a candidate for all time top 10 on clay
16 Mantilla, Felix (ESP) 1,526 3 32 - schooled Fed in Rome and was a solid clay court player, very tough for top players on that surface

Todays top 20 consist largely of young players you still have their best years ahead of them, whereas here you list the players achievements from their whole career. Thatīs not a fair comparison. Granted, it was a strong era and a deep field, but we can judge todays top 20 only after they have retired. Also, players like Washington, Mantilla, Rosset, and (especially) Siemerink are not signs of a strong era, average top 20 players (excpet Siemerink, who had no backhand).

rubbERR
08-17-2009, 06:14 PM
monkey, racial insult? i didnt even know that :lol:

GlennMirnyi
08-17-2009, 06:19 PM

Yeah, right.

You could've fooled me.

star
08-17-2009, 06:20 PM

Yes, me too. Although the contrast in styles is only by degrees these days. You might say Murray and D-Po have different styles, but it's more a different approach to the same style. For me, it's exciting to see a baseliner against a server and volleyer sometimes. But, I'm not so picky. I also love to see two guys belting from the baseline.

cilic and isner

Cilic maybe.

Very good group of players although it's not like all of them were actually playing their best tennis at that time and really it's more that the names are extreme quality than the tennis they were all playing at the time (though some were playing great). It's the same as if you had Hewitt, Ferrero, Safin etc... all in the top 10 as they play now, would it make it a stronger era? I think no. That's not to say that all those guys were declined in the same ways but there are parables to be drawn.

What impresses me most is what you say about the diversity of surface specialists and styles as well. Gives the different times of year more meaning and puts more pressure on people to perform where they are strongest.

People now complain about the surfaces all tending toward the same speed, but I remember loads of complaining about grass court tennis being, at most, three strokes per point, and complaints about lighting fast indoor courts in the winter. Even now, people on this board complain about the big servers. If there were truly the fast courts of the past, those big servers would be doing better.

Everko
08-17-2009, 06:23 PM

:o

rubbERR
08-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah, right.

You could've fooled me.

really i didnt, i swear it

green25814
08-17-2009, 06:29 PM
The sooner this RubbER moron gets banned the better.

rocketassist
08-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Todays top 20 consist largely of young players you still have their best years ahead of them, whereas here you list the players achievements from their whole career. Thatīs not a fair comparison. Granted, it was a strong era and a deep field, but we can judge todays top 20 only after they have retired. Also, players like Washington, Mantilla, Rosset, and (especially) Siemerink are not signs of a strong era, average top 20 players (excpet Siemerink, who had no backhand).

There are exceptions in there but in the current top 20 there's four slam winners (Nad/Fed/Djo/Rod) and Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro are the only ones near the top that haven't reached the halfway point of their careers. Nadal's style of play will probably burn him out much earlier.

Davydenko has been around the block for ages, Simon isn't young, Monfils is still quite young but not made a real breakthrough, Tsonga isn't young although talented and lacks consistency.

It's the Djo/Mur/JMDP trio that is going to spearhead tennis for the next five or six years.

rubbERR
08-17-2009, 06:31 PM
what did i do wrong this time? im tired watching guys like glennmirnyi insult players all the time, guy who has never played tennis in his life has no rights to do that :lol:

green25814
08-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Dude why would it bother you? So GM calls some player a mug, so what? If you werent a fanboy you wouldn't care.

Everko
08-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Dude why would it bother you? So GM calls some player a mug, so what? If you werent a fanboy you wouldn't care.

because it's annoying.

Be sensible dammit

green25814
08-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Put Glenn on ignore if it bothers you, don't use offensive terms, thats just retarded.

rubbERR
08-17-2009, 06:57 PM
monkey is most harmless insult i know here in finland, so cmon :lol:

GlennMirnyi
08-17-2009, 07:08 PM

:lol:

So true.

maki925
08-17-2009, 08:33 PM
E. Gulbis

Gulbis, future GOAT, amazing talent, and balls of steel, Rocky type of fighter...

Nice to see this. :)
I think so too!I like that Gulbis kid!

scarecrows
08-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Nice to see this. :)

they were both kidding :tape:

jcempire
08-17-2009, 09:25 PM

you right. But I can't agree with it at all.
Look at last 10 years. I'm not talked about Andre and Pete (Who got 2002 USO and 2003 AO)

Only guys whom wins the GS are Fed, Nadal, Roddick (only one) and Djok (only one) and (Safin, JCF and Hewitt also but now all out of Top 20).

And only very few guys who wins the Masters. possibly less than ten guys

So. ....................What you learn from it??????

r2473
08-17-2009, 09:30 PM

Everybody has given up on Gasquet?

I guess he doesn't quite fit the criteria (born June 18, 1986).

richie21
08-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Everybody has given up on Gasquet?

I guess he doesn't quite fit the criteria (born June 18, 1986).

Well,when you spend 7 years on the tour and are only able to win MM titles,i guess it speaks volume.
And after what recently happened,it's very very hard to see him having any sort of breakthrough in the future(it will probably be in the other way around).

Gaudio2004
08-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Grigor Dimitrov should break into the top 20 by the next 2 years. He really, really needs to start dominating the Challengers event.

Bascule
08-18-2009, 02:49 AM
Sam Querrey?

rubbERR
08-18-2009, 02:55 AM
querrey :haha:

rubbERR
08-18-2009, 02:56 AM
edit: .... :lol:

fast_clay
08-18-2009, 03:18 AM

good list that... despite the fact that, yes, the current crop havent retired yet to gauge it properly, it is relevant because, like you say there is a diverse group there...

and so good at their particular craft were most of those, that it on most occasions required a little bit extra than just turning up and bringing your a-game as the obsactles from match to match vary quite a bit... tsonga perhaps, but probably today only stepanek might offer that same stark contrast inside the top 20 and may also be the reason he has carved a niche for himself that allows him so survive there at his age - simply through being different...

chowdahead25
08-18-2009, 03:43 AM
I think Nishikori would be top 30 by now, had he not been out pretty much all year. Hope he is able to recover.

HKz
08-18-2009, 03:48 AM
Honestly it has been really difficult to find really new young talent, as in under 20 aside from Novak. Nishikori I thought was going to explode onto the scene, but he proved me wrong. Right now I'm just waiting for Dimitrov. Cilic could be the next one, but honestly, his game hasn't really awe struck me.

Proton21
08-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Nishikori I thought was going to explode onto the scene, but he proved me wrong.

He's been out for injury and just had surgery earlier this month, so at least it's not like he's losing while playing. :)

Bascule
08-20-2009, 03:47 AM
querrey :haha:

So, you laughed?

rubbERR
08-20-2009, 03:54 AM
So, you laughed?

what? querrey is fucking average player.

samjones
01-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Raonic could be one to watch, he's still developing his game but seems to be good ;)

Tsonga is a flashy player, the one with ups and downs, can beat anyone one given day but can also lose to anyone as well, he's not very consistent headwise and sometimes risks too much and misses for a lot when it isn't needed

Maybe Juan Martin cannot make the same spectacular kind of shots, but he's been very consistent and is slowly grinding his place into the big leagues, he can be very patient when he wants to and has his head very well screwed for someone so young :yeah:

Props

Snowwy
01-22-2011, 10:01 PM

Nice bump

Snowwy
01-22-2011, 10:15 PM
He has no variety and ballbashing/grinding won't win him matches against the real top players.

He's also a pansy and can't even stand long 3-set matches. How the hell is he going to endure 5-set matches against top players?

It just keeps getting better. :)

I really liked rocketassists post so here is an updated one today.

1 Nadal, Rafael (ESP) World #1/GS Winner/Masters/Olympics
2 Federer, Roger (SUI) World #1/GS Winner/Masters
3 Djokovic, Novak (SRB) GS Winner/Masters
4 Soderling, Robin (SWE) GS Finalist/Masters
5 Murray, Andy (GBR) GS Finalist/Masters
6 Berdych, Tomas (CZE) GS Finalist/Masters
7 Ferrer, David (ESP)
8 Roddick, Andy (USA) World #1/GS Winner/Masters
9 Verdasco, Fernando (ESP)
10 Youzhny, Mikhail (RUS)
11 Melzer, Jurgen (AUT)
12 Monfils, Gael (FRA)
13 Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried (FRA) GS Finalist/Masters
14 Almagro, Nicolas (ESP)
15 Cilic, Marin (CRO)
16 Ljubicic, Ivan (CRO) Masters
17 Fish, Mardy (USA)
18 Querrey, Sam (USA)
19 Wawrinka, Stanislas (SUI)
20 Isner, John (USA)

Sonja1989
01-22-2011, 11:41 PM
The next is Grigor Dimitrov! I hope. :D

Crow_Boy
01-23-2011, 03:06 AM
Tomic is obviously Australia's next big hope but, i reckon young Ben Mitchell who is a month younger then Tomic will have huge success, he has made the Wimbledon junior final, and alot more, he is hugely talented he will make it big in the next few years with Tomic.

Audacity
01-23-2011, 03:37 AM
Tomic is obviously Australia's next big hope but, i reckon young Ben Mitchell who is a month younger then Tomic will have huge success, he has made the Wimbledon junior final, and alot more, he is hugely talented he will make it big in the next few years with Tomic.

Let's be realistic here. Mitchell won't challenge the likes of Nadal at the top of the game. Top 100 is still a longshot IMO.

KaiserT
01-23-2011, 03:43 AM

Saw him play the junior final and didn't think much of him. Plays the game correctly but can't see him having the weapons to make top 50.

james82
01-23-2011, 03:46 AM
Saw him play the junior final and didn't think much of him. Plays the game correctly but can't see him having the weapons to make top 50.

not many kids have weapons at 18