Is it possible Nadal will never return to his previous level? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is it possible Nadal will never return to his previous level?

08-17-2009, 12:35 AM
What do you think?

Is it quite possible that Nadal will never be able to get his momentum back and if he does be lucky enough to win Grand Slams or stay injury free for long enough to get on a roll?

One of the big things that allowed Federer to dominate for so long was momentum and staying injury free.

I know Nadal is still young, however not so much so in modern tennis terms. Will he ever be able to get his confidence back with so many great guys at the moment who can beat him ( and could even when he was healthy) like Del Pony, Fed, Murray, Djokovic, Nalbandian etc?

Me thinks it's going to be tough for him to get back to where he was, even if Fed retired.

Burrow
08-17-2009, 12:38 AM
He was moving absolutely fine this week, so it's likely he will.

straitup
08-17-2009, 12:41 AM
He might not get back to the 2008-half of 2009 level, but he's going to be pretty darn close. Unlike a Sharapova, who's serve is completely down the drain, Nadal didn't seem to be much different than he was before injury.

River
08-17-2009, 12:45 AM
I don't think so.

But I'm thinking it'll be a long while before he gets back to his comfort level.

El Legenda
08-17-2009, 12:46 AM
its catching up to him, the style of play...now watch for injuries to happen more often and i predict he will be done by 25.

rubbERR
08-17-2009, 12:48 AM
Nadal was only out one more tournament than all the top players, its not like hes been one year out of competition. :lol:

Everko
08-17-2009, 12:49 AM
He will get better. Motivation and respect is whatt he is after now, not only wins.

Better

ballbasher101
08-17-2009, 12:51 AM
Sadly for us Nadal will be back to his pray for death days within a few months. Nadal only needs matches after having not played for a while.

GlennMirnyi
08-17-2009, 12:55 AM
I hope so.

vamosinator
08-17-2009, 12:57 AM
Even in his first week back, Nadal is already almost at 'the previous level' now. Even if Nadal was in Championship form it is likely Del Potro would have taken him to a tie-breaker. So the first set was close to that form. Mentally his concentration isn't back yet, he pointed that out after the match, and often when concentration is down you do give your serve away early in the 2nd set after a tight 1st set and struggle to get back into the zone.

Based on the Del Potro match, Nadal is far ahead of the schedule I was expecting, I expected he'd take until the end of Cincy to reach this kind of form or at the latest maybe round 1 or 2 of the US Open. He may need a 4 or 5 setter to feel himself again mentally, so hopefully he gets that early in the US Open in case he has to play 4/5 sets in the Semis or Final.

Its really all mental now for Nadal, his movement is fine.

Everko
08-17-2009, 12:58 AM
I hope so.

Shutup ego-maniac

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
08-17-2009, 01:03 AM
fast HCs are his worst surface so i dont think we'll find out too much even from the US OPEN

although if he wins the US OPEN then you know he's back to his best

Mac never won a slam after 84

i hope 2008 (+09AO) wasn't Nadal's 1984

Laba
08-17-2009, 01:04 AM
It will take time, but it is possible.

GlennMirnyi
08-17-2009, 01:20 AM
Shutup ego-maniac

If you ask something, you must understand people won't always answer what you want.

Fanboy.

Sapeod
08-17-2009, 01:21 AM
He probably will some time. Hopefully it won't be for a while though.

Everko
08-17-2009, 01:22 AM
If you ask something, you must understand people won't always answer what you want.

Fanboy.

You want people injured. Nice kid you are

tea
08-17-2009, 02:15 AM
Very much likely he will never be no.2 player in the world any longer.:sad:

vamosinator
08-17-2009, 02:35 AM
I kind of hope Nadal doesn't stay atop the rankings, it might indicate that he's playing too much tennis. Although I guess if you win all the slams you are still ranked around 2 even if you skip some of the Masters events. Serena Williams is number 2 despite playing an abbreviated schedule. Whatever happens, nobody will ever think Murray is even close to Nadal until Murray does something in the slams apart from choke in a Final. Most people in the world haven't heard of Murray (because most people only remember the winner of each slam). So it shouldn't be a shot to Nadal's ego to be ranked below Murray. And it would be good to see Nadal play Federer in a semi for a change.

Black Adam
08-17-2009, 02:40 AM
I kind of hope Nadal doesn't stay atop the rankings, it might indicate that he's playing too much tennis. Although I guess if you win all the slams you are still ranked around 2 even if you skip some of the Masters events. Serena Williams is number 2 despite playing an abbreviated schedule. Whatever happens, nobody will ever think Murray is even close to Nadal until Murray does something in the slams apart from choke in a Final. Most people in the world haven't heard of Murray (because most people only remember the winner of each slam). So it shouldn't be a shot to Nadal's ego to be ranked below Murray. And it would be good to see Nadal play Federer in a semi for a change.
Enough with the nonsense.:rolleyes::o

GlennMirnyi
08-17-2009, 02:50 AM
You want people injured. Nice kid you are

Nope.

He has injured himself, I have nothing to do with it.

moon language
08-17-2009, 02:51 AM
Anything is possible. He might have some doubt or lost confidence over this whole knee thing. But based on what he showed in Montreal I think he'll get back to where he was in time.

TennisMindCamp
08-17-2009, 02:59 AM
He'll be back before you know it.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
08-17-2009, 03:07 AM
I kind of hope Nadal doesn't stay atop the rankings, it might indicate that he's playing too much tennis.

LOL

hilarious, what will you say next

you hope Nadal doesn't win slams because he's already winning too much and he should give everyone else a chance?

you hope Nadal doesn't play all the Masters so that everyone else has a fair shot at them

or maybe Nadal should only play at 50%, you always say he can never be beaten when he's at 100%

guga2120
08-17-2009, 03:16 AM
It all depends on his health, but knee injuries are not something that just go away. So I would not be that optimistic. On clay, if he is healthy he will win, everytime. Novak, is the closest to him, and hes not that close when Rafa, is really on. On other surfaces, who knows? He was fine last year in NY, and just got outplayed by Murray.

jcempire
08-17-2009, 03:46 AM
Maybe. But I believe that He will. This is his very first week. and looks not too bad.

Of course, he can get back his best because he is only 23 as today and he already got 15 Masters that's amazing which is best with fed

mgorganchian
08-17-2009, 04:56 AM
Yes he will because he is a figther, but I doubt he can mantain the same level for many years... unless he changes his game..

vamosinator
08-17-2009, 05:24 AM
Translation for the slow ones: I hope Nadal doesn't chase the number1 ranking, because if he does it will result in "the tendinitis schedule". And as I said before, nobody will rate Murray ahead of Nadal when Murray keeps failing to win slams. So there is no incentive for Nadal to stay ahead of Murray in the rankings.

Bargearse
08-17-2009, 06:20 AM
I thought he was looking pretty good this week. There didn't look to be any sign of discomfort as far as I could see. Being number 3 in the world will surely motivate him to get back to his best.

name_change
08-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Hopefully not.

leng jai
08-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Highly unlikely, the game has moved on.

Vida
08-17-2009, 10:59 AM
it is possible on hard courts at least. this break is a huge blow no matter how you slice it. it will have mental consequences as well as physical.

HattonWBA
08-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Yes he will

thrust
08-17-2009, 01:21 PM
I hope so.

WHY? Is it because he usually beat Roger in Slam finals? I think so! Not to want ANY great player to be able to play his best is pathetic!

kaylee
08-17-2009, 03:52 PM
At the moment it seems that virtually every player has had some kind of injury this past year. Rafa's has been extreme and to a certain extent there was no need to play all those clay court tournaments. Having said that, once the rust is off I certainly think he will be back to his old self. He just needs to pace his schedule a bit better.

GlennMirnyi
08-17-2009, 04:16 PM
WHY? Is it because he usually beat Roger in Slam finals? I think so! Not to want ANY great player to be able to play his best is pathetic!

Definitely.

NOT!

:rolleyes: Nadull the moonballer has a place and it's far from a tennis court.

Noleta
08-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Yes.Unless he does something about his schedules:shrug:

out_here_grindin
08-17-2009, 07:05 PM
He hit his peak at RG 2008. not that he can't win slams anymore but he won't ever be that dominate again.

maki925
08-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Why not?I think he will do it!

Bascule
08-17-2009, 07:13 PM
I believe he will return to his previous level, he's a great fighter and hard worker. Now, maybe he needs few months to recover (especially mentally), but to stay at this level - no way.
Last year he played the same until RG and then he even won Wimbledon and became no.1, not to mention he won on the hard courts too. And I remember people commented how he had no chances at Wimbledon and hard courts.

Skyward
08-17-2009, 07:23 PM
:rolleyes: He only missed one tournament.

peribsen
08-17-2009, 07:48 PM
What wildly exaggerated statements we read here, even for MTF!! The guy's been injured, he's just starting to make a comeback, he moved fine in Montréal, was close to winning the first set against world nr5, he didn't because he is clearly and expectedly subpar, the serves and winners simply wouldn´t come off at the crucial moments. He just needs a few more matches, but the perspective doesn't look bleak at all. Can he recover form on time for USO? Too early to tell, it's only a couple of weeks away and he's playing on his weakest surface. We'll have to wait and see. But to count him out already, to say he's finished, that's just bollocks, on what grounds, on what evidence bam anybody seriously state that the player who is still the winner of the most big tournaments in 2009 (4 of them, not counting Barcelona which is a M500)is a goner? Some fools let their hate run away with their better judgement.

Noleta
08-17-2009, 07:50 PM

That's GM for you:rolls:pushing the panic button already:lol:

jcempire
08-17-2009, 08:18 PM

:confused:

Did you watch tennis last month???

Skyward
08-17-2009, 08:34 PM
:confused:

Did you watch tennis last month???

Yes, he missed Wimbledon. 2 tournaments if you count a warm up grass tournament.

habibko
08-17-2009, 08:47 PM
I highly doubt he will become #1 again.

tennisace28
08-17-2009, 08:54 PM
rafito will be back in top form in no time!!

moon language
08-17-2009, 10:02 PM
One thing is for sure about Nadal, he's hard to predict. A couple years ago people liked to predict that he was going to drop from #2, but he did the opposite. Why not just wait and see what happens?

tennizen
08-17-2009, 10:04 PM
He will retire at the end of this year having lost in the 2nd round of all tournaments

Everko
08-17-2009, 10:58 PM
He will retire at the end of this year having lost in the 2nd round of all tournaments

I will refer you to a doctor. You must have a rock instead of a brain

HKz
08-17-2009, 11:02 PM
I think Nadal should do wheelchair tennis so his knees aren't a factor. Maybe he'll get more than 15?

Bascule
08-17-2009, 11:29 PM
I think Nadal should do wheelchair tennis so his knees aren't a factor. Maybe he'll get more than 15?

Maybe.:)

green25814
08-17-2009, 11:33 PM
We have no right to speculate on this. The only people who have any idea are Rafael Nadal and his doctors.

Bascule
08-17-2009, 11:38 PM
We have no right to speculate on this. The only people who have any idea are Rafael Nadal and his doctors.

And don't forget Fed, he knows better than doctors.

08-18-2009, 12:14 AM

You have to actually have a disability.

Having the worst recorded case in history of OCD, or even not realising that you hit a tennis ball horizontally and not towards the sky, unfortunately don't qualify you.

out_here_grindin
08-18-2009, 02:30 AM

Having the worst recorded case in history of OCD, or even not realising that you hit a tennis ball horizontally and not towards the sky, unfortunately don't qualify you.

:worship:

MacTheKnife
08-18-2009, 02:36 AM
I think the question that remains unanswered is can he reach and maintain his previous level while playing a reduced schedule. Don't think his knees will allow that heavy schedule from now on, but yet he seems to thrive playing a grinding schedule and playing a lot of tennis. Some guys just require that much play to maintain a high level. Time will tell.

HKz
08-18-2009, 02:38 AM

What? This is news to me.

Bargearse
08-18-2009, 04:11 AM

Yeah, absolutely OCD isn't a disability. Even if it was, wheelchair tennis would not be the best option for Nadal because he'd have a hard time adjusting his wedgie.
:tape: :tape: :lol: :lol:

tennisace28
08-18-2009, 06:47 AM
I will refer you to a doctor. You must have a rock instead of a brain

absolutely right, the poor sod needs help!

madmax
08-18-2009, 07:12 AM
he will be soon out of TOP 10 and struggling to pass 2nd round of Slams...that's the price you pay for highly demanding playing style

Deivid23
08-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Still a few years ahead till Nadal gets burnt out imo, so don´t be so fast to write him off. After all it´s not what u wish, it´s about what´s more likely to happen

Deivid23
08-18-2009, 08:46 AM
I highly doubt he will become #1 again.

Nadal supporters should feel more confident after this statement from BS king

paseo
08-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Everything is possible.
But, I think he will back to winning ways sooner rather than later :)

leng jai
08-18-2009, 10:58 AM
He has been out of the game for over a month, players are faster and stronger these days.

tennizen
08-18-2009, 03:28 PM
He has been out of the game for over a month, players are faster and stronger these days.

:rolls:

kaylee
08-18-2009, 04:46 PM
yes exactly that last comment puzzles me too!