Which of the top 6 has the least chance of winning the US Open? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which of the top 6 has the least chance of winning the US Open?

Everko
08-16-2009, 09:25 PM
I think this is fascinating because they all have a bit of a chance.

Everko
08-16-2009, 09:54 PM
I'll rank em in order of chances:

1. Murray
2. Nadal
3. Federer
4. Djokovic
5. Del Potro
6. Roddick

Noleta
08-16-2009, 10:01 PM
From least to best:

Djokovic
Del Potro
Roddick
Nadal
Murray
Federer

Certinfy
08-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Nadal and Djokovic.

Laba
08-16-2009, 10:13 PM
From most to least chance:

- Federer (Had plenty of poor matches last year that didn't bother him to win the USO)
- Murray (Will need to adjust his style to win but has the fitness/form/confidence)
- Roddick (Will be very tough to beat with the speed of the court and crowd support)
- Del Potro (I'd have him above Roddick if he were fitter)
- Nadal (Has too many threats that could potentially have a great day and knock him out if he isn't playing up to scratch. Plus it will probably take longer to find form)
- Djokovic (It just hasn't been his year, has struggled with consistency and confidence)

I think a Federer vs. Murray final is the most likely variable and if this were to happen, I'd think Federer would win in four sets. For Murray to win the USO, I think he'd need Rafa to take Roger out in the semis which I wouldn't bet too much on happening personally. Del Potro or Roddick could pose problems for Murray in the QF but I can only assume he will learn from past matches to step it up and be more aggressive. Tsonga and Verdasco have shown flashes of brilliance in the past but are too streaky and inconsistent to be relied upon. I think Nadal and Djokovic will struggle the most of the top six in the first week of the tournament.

FedFan_2007
08-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Obviously Federer has the best chance being 5-time defending champ and coming off the Channel Slam and #1 ranking back. The next favorite has to be Murray then Roddick.

rubbERR
08-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Roddick is not 3rd favorite by any means, Delpo is much better player than him :lol:

Selby
08-16-2009, 10:41 PM
I'd say Federer, Murray, Del potro, Roddick, Nadal, Djokovic in that order. (from most to least).

Guga_fan
08-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Djokovic, followed by Nadal.

selyoink
08-16-2009, 10:46 PM
The order of best chance to worst is: Federer, Murray, Del Potro, Roddick, Djokovic and Nadull. Davy, Tsonga and possibly Soderling all have much better chance than Nadull and Djokovic.

LaFuria
08-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Nadull and the Djoke both have no chance.

selyoink
08-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Nadull and the Djoke both have no chance.

Very true.

Saya-nee-sama
08-16-2009, 10:53 PM
From most to least chance :
Murray
Federer
Del potro
Roddick
Djokovic
Nadal

Mechlan
08-16-2009, 10:58 PM
I would say, in order of most to least likely:

Murray
Federer
Nadal
Del Potro
Roddick
Djokovic

Murray is clearly the in form player. He is capable of being beaten by a hitter playing great, but as long as he's not passive, his quality speaks. Federer's play on HC has been rather poor this year. However he's not 5-time defending champion for nothing. The conditions in NY really suit him, and he thrives in slams. He'll be a tough out for anyone. Nadal is a wildcard, but I saw enough good play from him to be confident that he will be ready by the USO. Tossup between Del Potro and Roddick. Del Potro is the better player, but his fitness is a bit of a question mark. And Djokovic is clearly in the worst form at the moment.

MIMIC
08-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Nadal & Djokovic

KarlyM
08-16-2009, 11:03 PM
My prediction (best to least):

1. Federer
2. Murray
3. Del Potro
4. Roddick
5. Nadal
6. Djokovic

I can't wait to find out how wrong I am in a few weeks - I always seem to be wrong. :lol:

Fiberlight1
08-16-2009, 11:18 PM
I remember people saying Nadal had no chance to win AO or Wimbledon either.

Anyway, from highest to lowest, Federer, Murray, Roddick, Nadal, Djokovic, Del Pot.

moonlightdance
08-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Roddick is not 3rd favorite by any means, Delpo is much better player than him :lol:

del potro has played a lot of tennis lately and i suppose a lot also depends on whether he wants to go deep in cincy or rest up for the open, but in a best-of-5 setter i would still give roddick the edge fitness-wise.

guga2120
08-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Roddick, least likely, then Del Potro.

GlennMirnyi
08-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Nadull and Pony have about the same chance = zero.

Murray and Fraud top the list with Roddick somewhere behind them.

CescAndyKimi
08-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Fedfucktard and Andy are the two to watch. But my heart is slamming as I picture Andy losing to some chump in round 3. Hopefully he can take it step by step and navigate his way to the quarters with a favourable draw.

Burrow
08-17-2009, 12:08 AM
Funny how people think the 5 time defending champion doesn't have as good a chance and is ranked bottom of some lists.

1. Federer Best chance
2. Murray
3. Del Potro
4. Roddick
5. Djokovic
6. Nadal Least chance

MacTheKnife
08-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Best to least:

Federer
Murray
Roddick
Djok
D-pot
Nadal

out_here_grindin
08-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Why isn't Blake in this list. ;)

Gaudio2004
08-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Nadal simply has no chance due to his match fitness being no where near the level needed.

Federer's only test will be if he can destroy Nadal in 3 sets provide they meet in the Semi Finals.

Murray has a good shot, but he's very vulnerable in Grand Slams due to being mentally insecure.

Del Potro is one dimensional, when a multi-dimensional player like Murray or Federer meet him, he's in trouble.

Djokovic needs to sort out the confidence crisis.

If Roddick meets Federer at any point, he's lost. Other than that, he has a good shot providing his serve is UNBELIEVABLE at all times.

TMJordan
08-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Djokovic - No chance.

Roddick - No Chance.

Nadal - No Chance.

Del Potro - Has a chance but really needs to work on his fitness.

Federer - Call him the fav but he ain't gonna win.

Murray - Winner.

Sapeod
08-17-2009, 12:53 AM
Djokovic - No chance.

Roddick - No Chance.

Nadal - No Chance.

Del Potro - Has a chance but really needs to work on his fitness.

Federer - Call him the fav but he ain't gonna win.

Murray - Winner.
I like how this post goes. So this..

Sapeod
08-17-2009, 12:55 AM
WTF. Murray doesn't have any votes :spit:

rubbERR
08-17-2009, 12:55 AM
Nadal simply has no chance due to his match fitness being no where near the level needed.

Federer's only test will be if he can destroy Nadal in 3 sets provide they meet in the Semi Finals.

Murray has a good shot, but he's very vulnerable in Grand Slams due to being mentally insecure.

Del Potro is one dimensional, when a multi-dimensional player like Murray or Federer meet him, he's in trouble.

Djokovic needs to sort out the confidence crisis.

If Roddick meets Federer at any point, he's lost. Other than that, he has a good shot providing his serve is UNBELIEVABLE at all times.

Murray multi-dimensional? more like one-dimensional pusher who stands 3-4 meters behind the baseline all the time.

River
08-17-2009, 01:13 AM
Best to least.

Andy Murray (Not a big fan, but he's got momentum on his side. Weakness is that he's a counterpuncher who stands way too far behind the baseline. Some good angles will throw him right off, fitness or not.)

Roger Federer (I still think he's not the player he used to be and probably never will. His mental strength seems to have chinks in the armor still and I don't think he'll ever really regain the dominance he once had. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if he won. Expect him to struggle a bit.)

Andy Roddick (Too many heartbreakers, but he's above Del Potro merely for one thing; fitness. This is NOT a best of 3 sets tournament; and Roddick is one of the fittest guys on tour who's begun to learn how to grind and contsruct points. Best full year of his career. But a big gap seperates him from Murray and Federer.)

Juan Martin del Potro (There's no reason DP can't win this other than beating himself. His physical fitness is a major factor. But as long as he keeps his matches as short as possible, he can definitely win this.)

Rafael Nadal (If I'm predicting this right, Nadal wants this title enough to perhaps sacrifice his career. He wants his Golden Slam. But he's still injured and I still feel his groundstrokes have lost punch. His confidence is not there at all it seems.)

Novak Djokovic (He's gotta stop worrying about his surroundings and focus on smacking that ball and crushing his opponents like he did in the 2008 Australian Open. His confidence is shot. He needs a kick start, and I think what determines how he'll do all depends on his first round play.)

Saya-nee-sama
08-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Murray multi-dimensional? more like one-dimensional pusher who stands 3-4 meters behind the baseline all the time.

:bigclap:

Bargearse
08-17-2009, 12:25 PM
1. Federer
2. Murray
3. Nadal
4. Del Potro
5. Djokovic
6. Roddick

I think Roddick has the least chance because he's been losing a lot lately which has to have affected his confidence.

When Fernando Gonzalez was in the early stages of being coached by Stefanki he was playing some awesome tennis and when the championships didn't come, he went back to his old habit of just smashing the hell out of the ball and not thinking. I wonder if the same thing is happening to Roddick & how much longer Stefanki will be around.:confused:

HattonWBA
08-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Novak cant win the way he is playing, but class is permenant so who knows he may turn up there on fire, but from the listed i would say him.

Julio
08-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Djokovic.

bokehlicious
08-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Djokovic, Nadal, Del Potro, Murray and Roddick.

:)

zerocool_
08-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Best to least:

Federer
Murray
Roddick
Djok
D-pot
Nadal

Agree :)

Pedigree
08-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Rank of most to least likely:

1. Murray - best hardcourt player in the world, finally proved at Wimbledon he can win a tough 5 set match (Wawrinka)
2. Federer - No. 1 in the world, five straight USO
3. Roddick - going deep in every tournament, beat Murray at Wimbledon, beat Djokovic in Montreal
4. Nadal - put the beatdown on Murray the last time they played on a hardcourt, may have a better chance of knocking him off this year than he did last year
5. Djokovic - I can't remember the last time he had a big win, it's not a good sign when the highlight of your year is a loss (to Nadal in Madrid)
6. Del Potro - good move to skip Cincy this week, if this was a best of three tournament I'd put him at No. 3 on this list, but I can't see him beating anybody on this list in a tight match that goes four or five sets

Mint Chip
08-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Roddick and Del Potro

angry1
08-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Federer is further clear of the 2nd favourite,than 2nd favourite is of the 6th IMO.Fed, Murray,Nadal,DelPotro,Roddick,Djokovic is my order from most to least likely to win.

Unoriginal I know.

HKz
08-19-2009, 05:03 PM
This is really tough. Because I give Federer and Murray equal chances of winning it. Well Federer maybe a tad higher chance because he has been the Grand Slam man. Murray obviously has a high chance because outside of Slams, he has been by far the best hardcourt player on the tour.

Del Potro and Roddick come behind them and I rate them with similar chances. If Del Potro doesn't get tired, I think he has a higher chance than Roddick and maybe even as good of a chance as Federer and Murray. But since he is a big man, his playing style is quite taxing for a 6'6" frame to take so I don't see him really improving his fitness from now till the Open, he has not enough time to train. But again, I always give Roddick a very good chance especially in Slams with that serve of his because he can actually move and return solidly unlike players like Karlovic.

Nadal winning the US Open seems way too unlikely at this stage. He has looked out of sorts physically and mentally in his three matches at Montreal. In his first two matches even though he got away with them quite easily for the most part, it did seem like it wouldn't be enough to play a top 10 player at all and it proved so against Del Potro. Now obviously he hasn't had any real match practice and such but he really didn't look like the "irun100milestobeatyou" kind of Nadal even after nearly 2 months of no ATP matches. USO is just right around the corner, and like with Del Potro, it is way too short of a time to actually improve much at all. Not to mention, he has more matches along the way, so I don't see him getting any fresher at all.

Okay Djokovic is going to be in question. While his results weren't TERRIBLE in Grand Slams since he at least reached the quarters at both the Aussie Open and Wimbledon, the players he has lost to are really the ones he will comes across very quickly early on at the Open so I really don't see his chances very good. He hasn't been there mentally when it comes down to the line this year and nothing of his game seems really big at the moment. He had moments from Miami to Madrid this year, but that was it.

Aside from the top 6, there are going to be solid competitors outside. Davydenko has looked pretty sharp after Wimbledon and Soderling's game I still think is best suited for faster surfaces even though he hasn't had the best results on hardcourts this year. Tommy Haas could be a surprise, but I don't know how mentally tough he is going to be when he enters. Gonzalez is always pretty dangerous as well.

This US Open is going to be probably one of the most entertaining Grand Slams in recent history. With Federer obviously leading the pack and chasing more Grand Slam title history, so many tough newcomers and many former top players pushing from behind the spotlight.

Ichiban1920
08-19-2009, 05:06 PM

Murray:

Positives:
Good first serve, solid volleys, great backhand, outstanding defensive abilities, great lob, good touch, comfortable at net.

Cons: Crappy 2nd serve, average forehand, not aggressive enough at times he needs to be.

Far more multi-dimensional than any one-dimensional mug like Del Mugro or Nadull you seem to salivate over. Then again, you're a compete and utter moron so idiocy from you is no surprise.

rubbERR
08-19-2009, 05:11 PM
taking this personal level is something so hilarious to see. :lol:

Serenidad
08-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Roddick based on the fact that he will have to play a Top 4 in the QF. He's been beating Djokovic lately, but any of the other 3 should easily handle him.

Next would be Nadal. Rusty, low on confidence, and vulnerable to flat hitters before the business end of the slam.

Fiberlight1
08-19-2009, 06:03 PM
taking this personal level is something so hilarious to see. :lol:

You see plenty of that here at MTF ;)

tangerine_dream
08-19-2009, 06:44 PM
From most to least:

Federer - five time champ, all without being the crowd favorite. The only things that could prevent him from a record 6th title is if he's finally bored of winning or murray/nadal gets in his way.

Murray - cocky basterd loves the us open, I still feel this is the place where he'll slam for the first time.

Roddick - former champion has always played well here for the most part, the crowd loves him, he's revitalized, he's due for a second slam.

Nadal - despite all the negative talk I think rafa will manage to play himself into some good form. He's capable of winning uso but probably not this year.

Djokovic - no confidence, plus the media will constantly be reminding him of his outburst at last year's open and trying to hype any animosity left over towards roddick. This is all unfortunate because he plays well on these courts and could win uso if he had the belief which he doesn't right now.

Del Potro - in great form now but his slam record is not that good plus he's intimidated by the nighttime uso crowds and his fitness is suspect. If he manages to get to the semis or final he will wilt like a daisy under the pressure.

Burrow
08-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Nobody is "due" for a grand slam win, sorry.

And Del Potro's slam record is pretty decent for a 20 year old. USO Quarters, AO Quarters and RG Semi finals aren't exactly bad, are they? Better than what Murray did that his age.

tangerine_dream
08-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Nobody is "due" for a grand slam win, sorry.
Have I been annoying you today? http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/jord619/Gif/poke.gif

And Del Potro's slam record is pretty decent for a 20 year old. USO Quarters, AO Quarters and RG Semi finals aren't exactly bad, are they? Better than what Murray did that his age.
He's still not winning a slam any time soon.

River
08-19-2009, 09:04 PM
While Burrow said it rather bluntly, I do kind of agree. I'm a big A-Rod fan but I don't think anyone is due a slam, no? I can think of a few matches where the better man lost in a GS final and deserved it 100%, but as for thinking that someone is due for a title because of a past performance or drastic improvement, I'm not much of a believer.

I'll just put it this way; if Andy shows his 2009 Wimbledon self, I'd clearly rank him with Federer and Murray as equals. But while he's showing flashes of it, he hasn't owned the game he ended up with at Wimby yet.

Serenidad
08-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Roddick - former champion has always played well here for the most part, the crowd loves him, he's revitalized, he's due for a second slam.

Never going to happen but nice fangirling. Roddick will never get another slam. He's not good enough.

tangerine_dream
08-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Never going to happen but nice fangirling. Roddick will never get another slam. He's not good enough.
You're trying too hard to troll me. It's not working.

TMJordan
08-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Tangy, Roddick suck.

mateusz2904
08-19-2009, 10:33 PM
From most to least:
Federer, Roddick, Djokovic, Murray, del Potro, Nadal

and i can't imagine situation which in somebody else wins US Open 2009:rolleyes:

Halba
08-19-2009, 11:08 PM
from most to least

1. FEDERER - hasn't lost a match here since 2003, to a red hot nalby. Loves the surface, form is patchy on hardcourt at the moment, so he's only a slender favourite. Is no where near the serving form of RG or wimbledon at the moment.

2. MURRAY- form is fantastic on hard. The form hard player over the past year. is very fit and it will be hard to stop murray. weakness is the serve, moonballing and slightly less strong groundstrokes strength is the return. movement on hard, backhand, anticipation and consistency.

3. DEL POTRO - really loves the hardcourt. improving all the time. will be rested now after slight injury scare. break will help. groundstrokes are probably the heaviest on tour now and improving more. serve, volley improving. good to see an improving player and is pretty much a contender at any clay court or hard slam.

4. RODDICK - wimbledon run suggests there is plenty of gas left in the tank. Is playing well at the moment. Hasn't found his rhythm yet on hard but will be tough to stop over 5 sets with his serve.

5. NADAL - totally out of sorts at the moment. Expected coming from a long lay off. Won't be good enough at the USO. Any decent fit player can beat him at the moment. Lacks belief, is pessimistic and is not match fit.

6. DJOKOVIC - most out of sorts of the top 6. It extends to a mental level .Doesn't even believe he can win anymore. His ranking is slipping and will be out of top 5 soon. The weapons he possesses aren't firing anymore. his shots lack basic penetration at the moment. Total decline and hope he recovers soon, it will be a slow recovery if at all.

Argenbrit
08-20-2009, 04:51 AM
Perhaps we should reconsider Roddick's place on that list.

tangerine_dream
08-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Tangy, Roddick suck.
Jordan, your English suck.

Pathetic Canuck. :kiss:

jcempire
08-20-2009, 02:57 PM
who knows? may be that's first USOPEN for Nadal

still two weeks away USOPEN. anything can happen

federersforehand
08-20-2009, 03:19 PM
If federer turns up in the form we all know he is capable of (i.e slam winning with losing 0-3 sets) then roger will win this easily. However we never see this Roger after QFs of slams anymore, he is loaded with errors and is prone to let big leads slip, for whatever reason, he is still not as good as 07 fed. This is even though he has won 2 slams already this year (he really had to fight HARD for them.) it all depends on what federer turns up at the US. I have this odd feeling were going to see a Federer BETTER than ever before, because its his golden chance to get a NCYGS and he will not want to let it slip, so he will be gunning for every point, and if fed chases, no-one beats him. It could just as easily go the other way; and if so he WILL lose to murray, nadal or even del potro. Murray is the most dangerous because at the moment, his game is excellent all the time, he rarely makes an error and his game suits fed well.

So on that basis here are my favourites:

Murray
Federer
Nadal (he has a HC slam and is still an insane threat to anyone.. people forget this IS nadal here, and yes folks he is not injured any more...)
Roddick(good showing at wimbledon, always a threat to anyone, except that guy..)
Del Potro (inexperienced but JUST behind roddick on my list)
Djokovic (confidence is down at the moment, but could just as easily show up in the world no1 esque mood we all know he is capable of.)