Montreal Final: No.2 Murray def. tired Del Potro 6-7(4), 7-6(3), 6-1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Montreal Final: No.2 Murray def. tired Del Potro 6-7(4), 7-6(3), 6-1

Pages : [1] 2

whattheheck
08-16-2009, 08:24 PM
What a crappy final set, after 2 sets of great tennis. Del Potro just handed it to Murray.

Jaz
08-16-2009, 08:25 PM
DelPo too fatigued.

Muggy.... Passing and waited for the errors.

whattheheck
Sucks that Murray won like that.

Arkulari
Juan Martin was in so much pain and was too fatigued, but well, it's all a part of the game, so congrats to the MS king Muzza :shrug:

GlennMirnyi
What a boring match. :zzz:

At least the less boring player won.

Pony is an absolute mug.

At least Murray is the lesser of the two evils.

rubbERR
Delpo was serving poor serves last set, 105mph or worse, clearly fatigued

Saya-nee-sama
what a great Pushing. Reaaaaally reaaaaaaaaaaally great. Nice win over tired Delpony.

MalwareDie
08-16-2009, 08:26 PM
It's a shame that Mug Pony didn't get bagelled.

Smoke944
Terrible for the finals of a Masters Series to end like this. Just terrible.

HeretiC
I'd like to see a match on a hardcourt between these two at their best.

richie21
Congrats to Murray but one thing is sure: he'll NEVER win a Grand Slam playing that way.

LinkMage
Del Pussy should have won in straights.

He missed a very easy FH when he had game point in his first service game of the 2nd set. He should have gone 3-0 up and then go from there.

Mugray is having Nadull like levels of luck lately.

rubbERR

Pony is an absolute mug.

be quiet? rofl

Mechlan
Not that interesting. Pony hung on as long as he could, but didn't have the energy to play the third. Congrats Andy, well deserved.

miura
08-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Congrats to Murray and his fans for this title and the #2 ranking :)

Sunset of Age
Wasn't able to see all of the match. Guess DelPot's gazz tank ran out completely after losing that 2nd set TB, just adding up to him obviously being tired...
Thereafter, JMDP was cooked, Murray by far the better player.
Too bad, but it happens. JMDP :hug:, better luck in Cincy. :)

Congrats, Muzza! :hatoff:

straitup
After seeing that final set from Del Potro, I have trouble figuring out how he is able to play 5 setters, or long 4 setters (like the one against Murray at the US Open last year)

It seemed rather inevitable that Murray was going to win though, that injury timeout from JMDP really didn't help him

castle007
:(

Del Potro was simply too tired in the end. I knew that he had to win in straight sets.

Murray, congratulations on your win and number 2 ranking, but I am still not a fan. Boring tennis from him.

whattheheck
I guess that solidifies his new ranking.

TMJordan
You people can complain all you want but Murray got it done and thats all that matters. Fitness is one of the most important parts of the game and Murray has that and that and Del Potro doesn't. That is the main difference between the two of them and a big reason why Murray will win the USO this year.

tennizen
08-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Great first couple of sets. Delpo looked dead in the first set but came back in the tiebreak and the najority of the second set. Murray hung on and played a good tiebreak in the second. Third set was NID.

Christoph123
08-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Murray hit as much winners as Del potro did, so stop with this constant murray 'pushing' crap.

whattheheck
08-16-2009, 08:29 PM
After seeing that final set from Del Potro, I have trouble figuring out how he is able to play 5 setters, or long 4 setters (like the one against Murray at the US Open last year)

It seemed rather inevitable that Murray was going to win though, that injury timeout from JMDP really didn't help him

He'll be OK. He doesn't have to be playing every single day.

Drusilla
Lol at the excuses.

Really...sad internet term but lol.

It sickens so many.

Go Murray!

Well done Andy.

tealeaves
Delpo had GPs in 2nd set 1st game :help:
He could have won in 2 :unsure::sad:

Rest well and withdraw Cincy for USO please.

roberthenman
Solid Andy :worship:
bad first and second set but the importance is the won :p
congrats the new number 2 :wavey:

LinkMage
08-16-2009, 08:30 PM

Pony is an absolute mug.

Mugray is a disgusting pusher. He's much more boring than Del Pussy.

tennis2tennis
Murray hit as much winners as Del potro did, so stop with this constant murray 'pushing' crap.

agree...his apponent's tempo droping ain't his fault!

Serenidad
Murray fan, but I think something needs to change.

Murray was not a factor in the match at all until the 2nd set tiebreak. It was either a forceful flat winner or an error from Del Trio. Del Trio seemed to have a nice strategy to go for big sliced second serves to make Murray beat him with his FH. I was impressed with Del Trio's movement and improved net play.

Definitely Del Trio's level dropped due to fatigue, but that is not a valid excuse as he could've and should've closed the match out in two.

Congrats Murray, #2 ranking backing up your form and getting over that Wimbledon loss with a title.

Del Trio is just massive off the ground, it was ridiculous at times. The upside is that his dangerous level is a lot more consistent than say a Gonzalez.

Jaz
You people can complain all you want but Murray got it done and thats all that matters. Fitness is one of the most important parts of the game and Murray has that and that and Del Potro doesn't. That is the main difference between the two of them and a big reason why Murray will win the USO this year.

:confused:

So the fittest guy wins in the USO? Is this why Murray didn't make it to the final at Wimbly? How about Aus?

Reality bites... If the other dude doesn't make the error. Murray can't win. His game is based around the other player, not his own skill at hitting the winner.

HeretiC
08-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Perhaps next time Del Potro will be more smart not to play MM tournaments right before big events.

habibko
08-16-2009, 08:31 PM
well now we know for sure that a fresh Del Pony has all the chances in the world to defeat Murray, if they met in the USO it will be a thriller!

I wonder what Del Pony whispered to Murray that made him laugh at the net, my guess: "next time I won't be tired" :devil:

congrats to the new world #2 for another TMS/1000 title, well deserved :yeah:

he still won't win the USO.

rocketassist
08-16-2009, 08:32 PM
40-39 to DP in winners, definitely Murray junking and pushing. :lol:

DP needs to work on his fitness asap, grand slams are 2 weeks of best of 5, albeit with two days of rest unless its the USO semis. Look at Murray when he played Canada three years ago and Cincy, he was as dead as a dodo, now he's one of the fittest players on tour.

Thought the first two sets were good sets from both myself and the close scorelines show how evenly matched both players are. Expect the h 2 h a few years from now to be about 10-10.

Guga_fan
08-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Decent match until the 3rd set. Del Potro has a good shot at the Open as long as he doesn't play until then.

TMJordan
08-16-2009, 08:33 PM
he still won't win the USO.

Give me one good reason. He is by far and away the best HC player in the world is fit as fuck and is ready for this like never before. Not to mention Federer is his bitch.

Drusilla
08-16-2009, 08:33 PM
You can literally feel the hate and bitterness on this thread.

It makes Andy Murray...world No.2 winning, all the better.

You haters really should take a long look at yourselves and wonder why he keeps beating all your hopes with his 'evil' tactics.

Well done Andy Murray!

A worthy champion....again.

buddyholly
08-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Forget El Potro, for me it's now El Perezoso!

Jaz
08-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Give me one good reason. He is by far and away the best HC player in the world is fit as fuck and is ready for this like never before. Not to mention Federer is his bitch.

Because he will get battered by an in-form and fullyfit ballbasher.

Stop buying the hype. He's only made one GS final. Federer is hardly his bitch, he beat him a few times in a best of 3, in 3 sets. In the only 5-set format Murray was battered.

:rolleyes: Murray is the new Safina...

habibko
08-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Fran :haha: :haha:

anon57
08-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Del Potro needs to improve his fitness, he looked dead on his feet in the third set. Congrats to Andy Murray for winning the title and getting to #2.

Saya-nee-sama
08-16-2009, 08:36 PM

So the fittest guy wins in the USO? Is this why Murray didn't make it to the final at Wimbly? How about Aus?

Reality bites... If the other dude doesn't make the error. Murray can't win. His game is based around the other player, not his own skill at hitting the winner.

The thing is He ALWAYS makes his opponent make unforced errors. that's just saddening.horrible playing style ( my opinion).

Delpo should improve his fitness. how could he win 5 setters ? OMG. still, he could've won the second set. he pisses me off.

paseo
08-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Well, before this match, I was wondering who can beat Murray on hard court except Fed on a good day.
But IMO, this match showed that a fully fit Del Potro has a good chance of doing it.

Murray fully deserved the win. But gotta give credit to Del Potro for not quiting.

Great match. Except fot the last set, of course :)

adee-gee
08-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Ballbasher needs to go to the Muzza school of fitness :hug: the Scotsman looked as fresh as a daisy at the end.

Another good tourney, though these tournaments are becoming irrelevant to the future GOAT, the big one is in a couple of weeks.

TMJordan
08-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Because he will get battered by an in-form and fullyfit ballbasher.

Stop buying the hype. He's only made one GS final. Federer is hardly his bitch, he beat him a few times in a best of 3, in 3 sets. In the only 5-set format Murray was battered.

:rolleyes: Murray is the new Safina...

The only one I see who can actually beat Murray is Del Potro but I highly doubt he can last in a long match, as shown today and also their match last year.

6-2 looks like complete ownage in my book.

Please don't talk about WTA here.

I am dreaming for a Federer vs. Murray USO final again, except I can guarentee you a different outcome.

green25814
Expected win. Murray is definitely the better allround player.

amonb
Murray hit as much winners as Del potro did, so stop with this constant murray 'pushing' crap.Yeah, it's getting boring now!!! :zzz:

ballbasher101
The name is Murray, Andy Murray. Everyone should bow down to this great young champion. The Pony ran out of gas in the final set but Muzza is the better player in my opinion.

Drusilla
The thing is He ALWAYS makes his opponent make unforced errors.

Yep.

Cloudygirl
08-16-2009, 08:39 PM
I wish Andy would sort out his on court attitude because it sucks. Otherwise I think he is great. He played as well as he needed to to win.

yellowboy906
08-16-2009, 08:39 PM
anyone notice how fake del pussy is? between every point, he was walking like an old man. after the point starts, he starts to feel young again. wtf. and he's such a cheater for calling injury timeout on murray's serve. not to mention he just surpass nadal and djoker for time wasting between points.

scoobs
08-16-2009, 08:40 PM
The title of this thread is wrong.

Surely it's missing a "lucky" before the Murray just to really make it complete? :rolleyes:

guga2120
Congrats to Murray, another big hc title for him. he should have won in 2. He was too defensive on his returns in the 1st set. His coaches need to tell him to step into more returns, when he did he almost always won the point.

rocketassist
The only one I see who can actually beat Murray is Del Potro but I highly doubt he can last in a long match, as shown today and also their match last year.

6-2 looks like complete ownage in my book.

Please don't talk about WTA here.

I am dreaming for a Federer vs. Murray USO final again, except I can guarentee you a different outcome.

Ignore him, he's a British glory hunter of Fed's who when he isn't cleaning up tells him to 'retire for his fans'. His real fans?

shawshank
Shame :( If only Delpo were fit for a whole match... Great play from both in first two sets.
Delpo, your first MS title will come soon ;)

habibko

we shall see :rolleyes:

ChampionshipPoints
Delpo had GPs in 2nd set 1st game :help:
He could have won in 2 :unsure::sad:

Rest well and withdraw Cincy for USO please.

Ditto.

Jaz

:rolls:

There's so much wrong with this... Delusional Murray fans, I thought us Fed fans were arrogant and crazy. You guys are one step above.

ArgieFan
08-16-2009, 08:41 PM

Im gonna remember those words...

Anyway, even being pretty tired Delpo managed to won a set and play another tie break.

And good thing that the crowd didnt fell asleep seeing Murray play...holy shit how boring is to see this guy play!!!!

Clydey
Del Pussy should have won in straights.

He missed a very easy FH when he had game point in his first service game of the 2nd set. He should have gone 3-0 up and then go from there.

Mugray is having Nadull like levels of luck lately.

Murray had all the chances and Del Potro was lucky to win the first set. Murray missed a point blank BH to go a break up late in the first. The right player won.

Id Del Potro isn't fit enough, that's his problem. It's part of the game.

amonb
Federer is hardly his bitchUnfortunately Fed is his bitch!!!

buddyholly

Why don't you take a medical timeout and try to figure out why the other guy makes the error?

chammer44
08-16-2009, 08:42 PM

Don't be so bloody foolish. Federer cares nothing for non-slam events. Is that not obvious? Moreover, a number of the Murray Victories have been over an injury compromised Fededer. Why do people have to lose their heads over this Murray?

danieln1
08-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Del Potro ONLY lost because he had no energy and was so tired, since he played a lot of tennis in the past 2 weeks... Otherwise he would have won that third set without a doubt!!! Murray only waited for errors and got them, as he always does against any opponent

Winnipeg
nice try del potro...get him at the US OPEN!

amonb
:rolls:

There's so much wrong with this... Delusional Murray fans, I thought us Fed fans were arrogant and crazy. You guys are one step above.No... We just feeeeeeel gooooood!!!

buddyholly
08-16-2009, 08:44 PM
And good thing that the crowd didnt fell asleep seeing Murray play...holy shit how boring is to see this guy play!!!!

Hah hah, Murray was the one wanting faster action. Del Potro looks and moves like a sloth - and there is nothing more boring than watching a sloth.

Argenbrit
08-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Murray is the most boring player ever.

Del Pony needs to work on his fitness. Now.

Jaz
08-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Ignore him, he's a British glory hunter of Fed's who when he isn't cleaning up tells him to 'retire for his fans'. His real fans?

At least I care for his reputation. And hey.. atleast I'm not supporting Murray "because he's a Brit".

Why don't you take a medical timeout and try to figure out why the other guy makes the error?

Why don't you figure out that Murray always loses when the other guy makes less errors? Is it because Murray can only win by passing and waiting for the error? Isn't this why every commentator says he has to be more aggressive?

Unfortunately Fed is his bitch!!!

6-2, 7-5, 6-2 When it mattered.

rubbERR
08-16-2009, 08:45 PM
potro was unable to move 3rd set, his serve was terrible, he he was in pain clearly, and temperature there was like +39?

scoobs
08-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Well done Andy.

I think he needs to re-examine his tactics vs Del Potro for the future, but today, fight and heart saw him through as Del Potro wilted. Might easily have been something like 76 64 but he dug his heels in and managed to tough out that second set, and Del Potro began to wilt.

Tennis is about so much more than just the way the shots are hit - it's about fitness, stamina, heart, mental strength, resilience, scheduling - an awful lot goes in. In pure tennis terms I thought Del Potro was the better player today but he has other aspects of his setup let him down and in the end it counted against him.

LinkMage
08-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Mugray must be the most overrated player ever. A clown with 0 GS title. At least Fakervic and Robo Rod are 1 Slam wonders.

l_mac
08-16-2009, 08:48 PM
LOL thread title. I'd get banned for that.

Murray :worship: :dance:

Don't fancy Del Po's chances in Cinci. Looks shattered.

scoobs
Hah hah, Murray was the one wanting faster action. Del Potro looks and moves like a sloth - and there is nothing more boring than watching a sloth.
Damn right.

Someone take cattleprods onto the court and issue them to the ballkids, maybe they can jolt him back to life when he looks like his motor has stopped.

amonb
At least I care for his reputation. And hey.. atleast I'm not supporting Murray "because he's a Brit".No you're a glory hunter. You support Man Utd, Tiger Woods is ya favourite Golfer, e.t.c...... Plus you're come across as a bit of an idiot!!!

kinski76
Del Potro should withdraw from Cincinatti. Three tournaments in three weeks, and only one week of recuperation before the USO would take its toll on anyone.

rocketassist
08-16-2009, 08:49 PM
At least I care for his reputation. And hey.. atleast I'm not supporting Murray "because he's a Brit".

I'm not going to go into detail except he's won all there is to win really so why is his 'reputation' going to go downhill?

You Fedfools seem to think Nadal, Fakervic and all other rivals play anti-tennis as well, so it's not just poor little Murray.

samanosuke
08-16-2009, 08:51 PM
what is going on with tennis . It's really disgrace that someone like murray wins big titles

he is really disgrace for this sport

I am shocked

Noleta
08-16-2009, 08:51 PM
If JMDP wasn't empty,we would've had a different winner:shrug:don't understand why the die hard Murray fans can't see that theire man wasn't at his best through this whole tournament,he was lucky his opponents were either shit or tired.

rocketassist
08-16-2009, 08:52 PM
So many people on this forum need lives, girlfriends/boyfriends or something to occupy their boredom instead of ranting and raving and crying.

scoobs
08-16-2009, 08:53 PM
what is going on with tennis . It's really disgrace that someone like murray wins big titles

I am shocked
http://doogs.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/whambulance.jpg

buddyholly
If JMDP wasn't empty,we would've had a different winner:shrug:don't understand why the die hard Murray fans can't see that theire man wasn't at his best through this whole tournament,he was lucky his opponents were either shit or tired.

No it is just unlucky for the others that Murray is now the iron man on tour.

spaycehoppa
"I would like to congratulate Fran, er juan sorry" :lol: where did he get Fran from?

Congratulations Andy
keep pissing off the haters

samanosuke
08-16-2009, 08:54 PM

It's sad but that is his best , It's sad for tennis , It's sad to be muuray fan , all with murray it's sad...

Clydey

It's amazing that Murray's opponents often don't play their best. It's such a trend that if I didn't know better, I'd think Murray had something to do with it.

amonb

I am shocked Well ya gonna be shocked for the next 5/6 years mate so suck it up and get used to it!!!

Serenidad
Is Del Trio crying?

Jaz
No you're a glory hunter. You support Man Utd, Tiger Woods is ya favourite Golfer, e.t.c...... Plus you're come across as a bit of an idiot!!!

No I don't support Tiger Woods, thanks -You support Rory. I simply don't fall into "brit loving" like you. I bet you're just going to be sat around watching Lewis Hamilton and Button to win, oh and hoping the the Ausies crash a burn? right?! :rolleyes:

You Fedfools seem to think Nadal, Fakervic and all other rivals play anti-tennis as well, so it's not just poor little Murray.

Nadal has always been interesting to watch. Don't care much for the rest. I like Verdasco, DelPo, Gonzo.

scoobs
08-16-2009, 08:55 PM
It's amazing that Murray's opponents often don't play their best. It's such a trend that if I didn't know better, I'd think Murray had something to do with it.
Are you concerned about Andy's play today?

delpiero7
08-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Unlucky Potty. But seeing as I expected him to go out at the QFs due to Washington the week before, he certainly exceeded expectations. Plus its given the haters a bit more time to come up with an explanation for the time he wins a significant title. :p

Potty needs to either withdraw or tank in Cincy before he seriously messes up his shoulder for the US Open.

The ballbashing beanpole mug has a great chance in New York against everyone except maybe Federer. He showed today that he is capable of giving Murray a match, while most mugs were predicting Murray to win in two easy sets.

Mug ballbashing will beat the Jock should the two meet in the US Open, preferably in the QFs.

green25814
08-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Fitness has nothing to do with luck. I wont say this again.

rubbERR
Andy played fine, it was del potro who sprayed errors all over the place because he was so fatigued.

22 unforced errors Andy, 51 unforced errors Del Potro

amonb
It's sad but that is his best , It's sad for tennis , It's sad to be muuray fan , all with murray it's sad...I feel so sad my man won today. I just feel awful!!! :woohoo:

rocketassist
08-16-2009, 08:57 PM

A little, but not much. Del Potro when playing well will bother him and make him work hard regardless, overall he gave 3 bps up which isn't bad serving, but after the discussion I had with Clydey about Hewitt being a better returner, I'd say Murray's difficulty in reading Del Potro's serve kinda underlines that.

amonb
Andy played fine, it was del potro who sprayed errors all over the place because he was so fatigued.

22 unforced errors Andy, 51 unforced errors Del PotroWell this is what mindless ball bashers do!!!!

Clydey
In truth, Murray hasn't been at his best all week. Besides one match, he hasn't played or served well at all. Despite that, he won the title while dropping just one set and 3 breaks.

That's pretty ominous, given that he has been nowhere near his best.

iSzavay.
08-16-2009, 08:58 PM
:unsure: I only saw the third set, but it was like the most boring thing ever :tape: nice too see Andy wininng a Masters title though :D.

rubbERR
Unlucky Potty. But seeing as I expected him to go out at the QFs due to Washington the week before, he certainly exceeded expectations. Plus its given the haters a bit more time to come up with an explanation for the time he wins a significant title. :p

Potty needs to either withdraw or tank in Cincy before he seriously messes up his shoulder for the US Open.

The ballbashing beanpole mug has a great chance in New York against everyone except maybe Federer. He showed today that he is capable of giving Murray a match, while most mugs were predicting Murray to win in two easy sets.

Mug ballbashing will beat the Jock should the two meet in the US Open, preferably in the QFs.

it was his left shoulder which caused him problems, i mean he the guy was so tired thats why he couldnt serve full pace 3rd set or couldnt run.

Il Primo Uomo

Pony is an absolute mug.

Why on earth do you watch a match between two dudes you know she would bore the living ish out of you? Isn't that... dumb? Don't you something more usefull to do like reading a book, stop being a pain in the ass becoming a better person? I'm just saying.

Congrats Murray! Too bad JMDP had nothing left in the tank, sure he would have done much better.

rubbERR
In truth, Murray hasn't been at his best all week. Besides one match, he hasn't played or served well at all. Despite that, he won the title while dropping just one set and 3 breaks.

bs, andy has played clearly his best...otherwise you cant win these tournaments :lol:

Noleta
08-16-2009, 08:59 PM
No it is just unlucky for the others that Murray is now the iron man on tour.

So you're sayng that Tennis is all about being an Iron man:confused:

sheva07
Tennis lost today.
Murray = anti tennis.

MalwareDie

If he doesn't tank Cinci, he'll have nothing left in the tank and crash out of the US Open.

rocketassist
bs, andy has played clearly his best...otherwise you cant win these tournaments :lol:

Federer definitely played his best at both RG and Wimbledon. :lol:

Clydey
08-16-2009, 09:00 PM

A little. I wasn't necessarily concerned with his tactics. It was more his execution. His forehand return was abysmal today and he missed so many passes, including several absolute sitters (one which would likely have given him the first set). His forehand was too short and loopy again today. Like I said, though, he won this event at a canter while playing subpar. That can be viewed as both a good thing and a bad thing.

Serenidad
08-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Del Trio just cannot win on the biggest stages yet. He still needs to get fitter and keep working on his movement/netplay.

Credit for working over Clownduck in the SF and running over Porky for some bacon.

rocketassist
08-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Tennis lost today.
Murray = anti tennis.

I see Hewitt's in your sig, even though he was a very similar type of player.

stzenit
wonder how the board will react once Del Potro or Davydenko beat Murray at the USO

Noleta

At last someone speaks some sense:)

rubbERR
Federer definitely played his best at both RG and Wimbledon. :lol:

it was about murray not classy ballstriker like Federer ;)

Clydey

Did you see the poll? Most people inexplicably expected Del Potro to win.

MTF is the king of wishful thinking.

Bascule
What a heartbreaking title of the thread.:rolleyes:

Del Ponny still...but Murray is so boring. Embarrassing third set. Murray has no chance to win USO with this kind of playing, unless other top players play crappy like they did this week.

delpiero7
Why on earth do you watch a match between two dudes you know she would bore the living ish out of you? Isn't that... dumb? Don't you something more usefull to do like reading a book, stop being a pain in the ass becoming a better person? I'm just saying.

Congrats Murray! Too bad JMDP had nothing left in the tank, sure he would have done much better.

It sounds too much like common sense to not watch a match between two players that you don't like. As you may have worked out, common sense doesn't apply to many posters around here.

Clydey
08-16-2009, 09:02 PM
A little, but not much. Del Potro when playing well will bother him and make him work hard regardless, overall he gave 3 bps up which isn't bad serving, but after the discussion I had with Clydey about Hewitt being a better returner, I'd say Murray's difficulty in reading Del Potro's serve kinda underlines that.

You have to be kidding? You can't pick out one match and then suggest that it underlines anything. Everyone has poor returning days, including Hewitt.

Gaudio2004
08-16-2009, 09:02 PM
His forehand, in general, is absymal, so I wouldn't be that concerned, it's always been a terrible shot and it's hard to improve it as Murray is a player aided by racquet and string technology, not one who understands tennis and has the feel for the ball.

Serenidad
08-16-2009, 09:03 PM
A little. I wasn't necessarily concerned with his tactics. It was more his execution. His forehand return was abysmal today and he missed so many passes, including several absolute sitters (one which would likely have given him the first set). His forehand was too short and loopy again today. Like I said, though, he won this event at a canter while playing subpar. That can be viewed as both a good thing and a bad thing.

I'm concerned as well because Del Potro's strategy was definitely working. Going for big cuts on the second serve to the Murray FH and Murray was baffled for the nearly two sets.

Murray was offensive and moving the ball around in the beginning of the first set, but from the on when Del Trio starting upping the pace on cue of his coach to "play quicker" it seemed Murray just went got stuck in the rapture. Most of all the outcomes of the games were on Del Trio's racquet winner or error and Murray was just doing what he could to get the ball in play. Andy did not even slice as much as he normally would against Del Trio.

I'm worried.

amonb
No I don't support Tiger Woods, thanks -You support Rory. I simply don't fall into "brit loving" like you. I bet you're just going to be sat around watching Lewis Hamilton and Button to win, oh and hoping the the Ausies crash a burn? right?! :rolleyes:No... I'll be sat around watching my boy from dunblane clear up!!!! Oh... Don't tell me... Spain are ya favourite international football team???

fast_clay

indeed... spot on...

in fact, i dont think Murray organises Del Potro's schedule... The Tradesman is a tradesman... he is not Del Potro's manager... Murray did not choose for Del Potro to play Washington...

or did he...? The Tradesman is skilled after all...

silly DP... maybe he is selling himself a bit short by continuing to play so many mickey mousies without the fitness level required... maybe he should organise a schedule like the big boys...?

delpiero7
08-16-2009, 09:04 PM
Did you see the poll? Most people inexplicably expected Del Potro to win.

MTF is the king of wishful thinking.

No, I didn't see the poll. But a lot of the Murray fangirls/Potty haters were predicting a simple 2-0 win for the Scot.

I would say Potty has shown that he will be a contender for the US Open, but Murray hasn't won a GS yet, so beating the 0 slam wonder today wouldn't have been that big a deal :devil: :p

Saya-nee-sama
08-16-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm not going to go into detail except he's won all there is to win really so why is his 'reputation' going to go downhill?

I'm actually a "fedfool" as you say. and "fakervic"and Nadal are two of my fav's players as well.(sig):rolleyes: I mean at least Nadal makes it interesting. so this is just bullshit , I think. Murray wins with his style of play, nothing wrong with that. But we have the right to think he's just boring as hell. He just Bores me to death.:o

delpiero7
08-16-2009, 09:06 PM
silly DP... maybe he is selling himself a bit short by continuing to play so many mickey mousies without the fitness level required... maybe he should organise a schedule like the big boys...?

Del Potro must be taking advice off MTF. Every 3rd or 4th post in a Del Potro thread is about him being nothing more than a mug - therefore he organises his schedule accordingly. :sad:

rocketassist
08-16-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm actually a "fedfool" as you say. and "fakervic"and Nadal are two of my fav's players as well.(sig):rolleyes: I mean at least Nadal makes it interesting. so this is just bullshit , I think. Murray wins with his style of play, nothing wrong with that. But we have the right to think he's just boring as hell. He just Bores me to death.:o

You're a glory hunter then, what a surprise.

scoobs
08-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Fair point - he was struggling to pull off shots today that he would perhaps normally make, for whatever reason.

I think he played really well vs Ferrero but other than that he has toughed his matches out more than anything else.

I would like to see him hit some peaks though - I would like to see him build up and peak in the semis and final, like you would expect, instead of his best match in R2 and then a bit of a grind to the title thereafter.

So yeah you can view it as a positive because he won a title in which the top 8 in the world made the QFs, without even playing his best in the latter stages...

Or you can be concerned that he's hurting himself by not playing his best in the latter stages and having to struggle through the end matches, and vulnerable to the losses like vs Roddick at Wimbledon

Voo de Mar
08-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Murray took an advantage of Del Potro's exhaustion. Too many difficult matches in the last two weeks. I'm afraid he withdraws from Cincinnati :o

Noleta
08-16-2009, 09:09 PM
What a heartbreaking title of the thread.:rolleyes:

Del Ponny still...but Murray is so boring. Embarrassing third set. Murray has no chance to win USO with this kind of playing, unless other top players play crappy like they did this week.

But that's his style:shrug:i don't see him changing tbh,if he's not comfy going for the shots...

fast_clay

i wouldnt be even a little worried... first start up after a spell and he takes it in a canter while spraying gutter balls left right and centre all tourney...

man the f*** up and support this scot would ya...?

Clydey
Fair point - he was struggling to pull off shots today that he would perhaps normally make, for whatever reason.

I think he played really well vs Ferrero but other than that he has toughed his matches out more than anything else.

I would like to see him hit some peaks though - I would like to see him build up and peak in the semis and final, like you would expect, instead of his best match in R2 and then a bit of a grind to the title thereafter.

So yeah you can view it as a positive because he won a title in which the top 8 in the world made the QFs, without even playing his best in the latter stages...

Or you can be concerned that he's hurting himself by not playing his best in the latter stages and having to struggle through the end matches, and vulnerable to the losses like vs Roddick at Wimbledon

There's also another point. Del Potro had been back on the tour for a bit longer. This was Murray's first week back, so maybe he was a little off because of that. He certainly wasn't timing the ball as well today. Not as many coming off the centre as you'd expect.

Il Primo Uomo
It sounds too much like common sense to not watch a match between two players that you don't like. As you may have worked out, common sense doesn't apply to many posters around here.

Especially since that e-gansta spends his life on this board. SMDH.

Clydey
08-16-2009, 09:10 PM
i wouldnt be even a little worried... first start up after a spell and he takes it in a canter while spraying gutter balls left right and centre...

man the f*** up and support this scot would ya...

:lol:

My support hasn't waned.

buddyholly
08-16-2009, 09:11 PM
So you're sayng that Tennis is all about being an Iron man:confused:

No, that is just an part of it, as we saw today. From some of the posts here it seems a lot of people think it would only have been a fair match if the organisers had postponed it until next Wednesday.

Tennis is all about winning more sets than your opponent and Murray is good at that.

scoobs
08-16-2009, 09:11 PM
There's also another point. Del Potro had been back on the tour for a bit longer. This was Murray's first week back, so maybe he was a little off because of that. He certainly wasn't timing the ball as well today. Not as many coming off the centre as you'd expect.
Perhaps, but you see this with Andy at any point in the season. He plays a superb R2 where he's middling everything and the engine is running smooth as you like, and then the next couple of matches turn into total grinds where he's framing a lot, missing returns, struggling to serve....it does leave you wondering what's going to come next with him.

Noleta
08-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Murray took an advantage of Del Potro's exhaustion. Too many difficult matches in the last two weeks. I'm afraid he withdraws from Cincinnati :o

That will be the sensible thing to so:shrug:

Saya-nee-sama
08-16-2009, 09:12 PM
You're a glory hunter then, what a surprise.
yeah I'm a glory hunter. Nadal and Djokovic are in such a great shape. and how many slams did del potro win ? 5 maybe ? and Haas too, about 10 right ?

Black Adam
08-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Del pony makes Nadal and Djokovic look like reasonable time wasters. At least the dull pusher won rather than this cheating mug.

rocketassist
yeah I'm a glory hunter. Nadal and Djokovic are in such a great shape. and how many slams did del potro win ? 5 maybe ? and Haas too, about 10 right ?

Since Marat Safin in the 05 AO they are the three players who have won all of the grand slams. :lol:

Noleta

:haha:

Clydey
08-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Perhaps, but you see this with Andy at any point in the season. He plays a superb R2 where he's middling everything and the engine is running smooth as you like, and then the next couple of matches turn into total grinds where he's framing a lot, missing returns, struggling to serve....it does leave you wondering what's going to come next with him.

One thing that hasn't been the same since even before Wimbledon is his passing. He really isn't passing nearly as well as he can. Even Fran Martin had pretty dominant stats while up at the net.

paseo

IMO, I don't think Murray played subpar on this event. I think he played par :)
Yes, on a good day, he can play better. on a great day, he can play much better, maybe.
But, tennis players have good days less than 50% of the time. I don't think it's fair to make their good days as their "par".
Cause if you do that, most of them & most of the time they would be playing subpar.

samanosuke
I am not murray fan and fan of his attitude on the court but that I can take , but I am really sad as tennis fun when I see that someone with play like murray wins big matches and titles , if there is any justice he would never win a major , in the history I did not like many players ( sampras , edberg , stich .. )and now I don't like many players ( nadal) but they are amazing players for me and great champs but with murray is other case . I fell sadness when I see him winning , not disappointment but sadness . tennis would be such beautiful game without murray , someone must save the sport . I am trying to find the way how except that but his ungame is stronger then my mentality is.

And other thing that I can't understand : How someone who is not British can be Murray fan ????

Can someone of this unfortunates answered on my question ? Maybe help me to take murray's game on different way ?

fast_clay
08-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Del Potro must be taking advice off MTF. Every 3rd or 4th post in a Del Potro thread is about him being nothing more than a mug - therefore he organises his schedule accordingly. :sad:

actually... when del potro finally gets his game together... the polished article is gonna be f***ing scary...

but today...

Kitchen

Hot

get... the f***.... out...

amonb
08-16-2009, 09:17 PM
I fell sadnessMan Up cos you sound like a little bitch!!!

buddyholly
08-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Murray is a player aided by racquet and string technology, not one who understands tennis and has the feel for the ball.

I think the other players have racquets and strings too!

Anyway, Murray probably understands tennis better than anyone since McEnroe.

Saya-nee-sama
08-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Since Marat Safin in the 05 AO they are the three players who have won all of the grand slams. :lol:

It was sarcastic.:rolleyes:. I don't care about glory or whatever. I just like or don't like watching someone playing. you can't say djokovic is boring. but murray, i mean are you blind or what, he's just pushing 80% of the time. when he plays agressive it's great. he can do that. but he choses not to. I can't say anymore than that. You like him. You're free. but don't say that people who like federer or nadal are glory hunters. maybe they just like watching them play ? just like you enjoy watching murray, right ? :rolleyes:

scoobs
08-16-2009, 09:19 PM
One thing that hasn't been the same since even before Wimbledon is his passing. He really isn't passing nearly as well as he can. Even Fran Martin had pretty dominant stats while up at the net.
I guess the good news is that Murray is never satisfied and won't be satisfied with this week - he'll know some things are not quite where he'd like them to be.

And he should still be fairly fresh for Cincy

samanosuke
08-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Man Up cos you sound like a little bitch!!!

That murray do from me . I am crying after his every win . I can't take this , I am on the edge :):)

nsidhan
08-16-2009, 09:20 PM
What a boring match. Tennis was the loser. Another 4 more weeks and order will be restored when Fed wins #16 ;).

amonb
08-16-2009, 09:22 PM
I just like or don't like watching someone playing So you missed it 2nite then???

rocketassist
It was sarcastic.:rolleyes:. I don't care about glory or whatever. I just like or don't like watching someone playing. you can't say djokovic is boring. but murray, i mean are you blind or what, he's just pushing 80% of the time. when he plays agressive it's great. he can do that. but he choses not to. I can't say anymore than that. You like him. You're free. but don't say that people who like federer or nadal are glory hunters. maybe they just like watching them play ? just like you enjoy watching murray, right ? :rolleyes:

'you can't say djokovic is boring'- he's been as much a pusher as anyone for ages bar Nadal clay matches.

Not someone who likes Federer or Nadal, but someone whose favourite players were once 'the big 3' and the ones dominating the slams, well I bet you enjoy that.

fast_clay
I am not murray fan and fan of his attitude on the court but that I can take , but I am really sad as tennis fun when I see that someone with play like murray wins big matches and titles , if there is any justice he would never win a major , in the history I did not like many players ( sampras , edberg , stich .. )and now I don't like many players ( nadal) but they are amazing players for me and great champs but with murray is other case . I fell sadness when I see him winning , not disappointment but sadness . tennis would be such beautiful game without murray , someone must save the sport . I am trying to find the way how except that but his ungame is stronger then my mentality is.

And other thing that I can't understand : How someone who is not British can be Murray fan ????

Can someone of this unfortunates answered on my question ? Maybe help me to take murray's game on different way ?

you would not be the first character who is weak of mind and spirit that murray has broken clean in two...

del potro copped it last year... copped it this year... big chance there is a decade of Pain with the initials D.P. on it stored in The Tradesman's white van...

don't be too disheartened... the first step to enlightenment is being left feeling you have nothing...

let him break you down... accept it... it must be this way...

stumcb
08-16-2009, 09:24 PM

There's no way you could be classed as a glory hunter. You only support 5 of the top 8 after all :lol:

abraxas21

err.. no. Del Potro came to Montréal right after winning Washington including a tough match againt Roddick in the final and in this tourney he had some tough rounds, unlike Murray who came to the tournament well rested and, aside of Davydenko, had easy rounds. Had he played Roddick in the semis, he'd have probably lost, just like he did in Wimbledon.
I'm not a fan of Del Potro at all but it's quite obvious that an all form Del Potro would have killed Murray today.

Murray is the biggest mug who has ever reached the number 2 position. A real shame for tennis.

buddyholly
What a boring match. Tennis was the loser. Another 4 more weeks and order will be restored when Fed wins #16 ;).

It is entertainment. I love slapstick and pratfalls. Today I was entertained.

fast_clay
08-16-2009, 09:25 PM

it's easy... i have bad teeth too...

Saya-nee-sama
08-16-2009, 09:27 PM
'you can't say djokovic is boring'- he's been as much a pusher as anyone for ages bar Nadal clay matches.

Not someone who likes Federer or Nadal, but someone whose favourite players were once 'the big 3' and the ones dominating the slams, well I bet you enjoy that.

well, I happen to like their style!! what's wrong with that? just like i enjoy watching Davy , marat and others. what's wrong with that ? I like seeing them winning matches.
maybe when murray will have like 3 /4 slams someone will say you're a glory hunter. but that would be wrong no ?
And I'm a fan of roger since I was something like 9 or ten.:rolleyes:
but well, We don't agree. sorry for wasting your time :rolleyes:

GlennMirnyi
08-16-2009, 09:27 PM
be quiet? rofl

No? rofl

Mugray is a disgusting pusher. He's much more boring than Del Pussy.

Murray is a pusher with some pluses like knowing how to slice and to volley.

Pony is a boring ballbasher.

Primate, I'm already too good for the likes of you.

I was reading a book actually. Diplomacy, by Kissinger. You should try, I mean, you should try the abridged version for pre-school kids. It was made specially for people like you (and for children of course).

About the match - it's disgusting how Pony is just learning from clown Nadull and Faker taking fake timeouts before the opponent serves to stay in the match, abusing the time between serves... he's becoming the real deal in mugness, faking and gamesmanship.

buddyholly
08-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Murray is the biggest mug who has ever reached the number 2 position. A real shame for tennis.

Maybe they just need some other way of determining rankings rather than silly old wins and losses. Biggest bulge, fattest ass, that kind of thing.

Black Adam
08-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Murray is really dull. Even when he is celebrating it all feels dry, boring and monotone. I can imagine him having his first baby and telling of the excitement. In Droopy's voice and tone: "My wife gave birth the other day. It was a baby boy. I was so happy."

scoobs
08-16-2009, 09:29 PM
About the match - it's disgusting how Pony is just learning from clown Nadull and Faker taking fake timeouts before the opponent serves to stay in the match, abusing the time between serves... he's becoming the real deal in mugness, faking and gamesmanship.

I agree with this.

He is becoming ever more brazen about these delay of game tactics.

Everko
08-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Bunch of droppings

tennishero
08-16-2009, 09:32 PM
typical murray, pushing the ball back in play waiting for the UE from his opponent. worst #2 in history of tennis.

rubbERR
08-16-2009, 09:33 PM
potro had tought matches this week, dont forget that he saved MP against Roddick and was break and set down against Hanescu

fast_clay
08-16-2009, 09:33 PM
I agree with this.

He is becoming ever more brazen about these delay of game tactics.

like goodall n koenig were saying... of all the time wasting and delaying, maybe the odd warning... but never any penalty point...

no deterrent...

the horse has bolted here i am afraid... it is as much a part of the game as diving is in football...

scoobs
08-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Maybe they just need some other way of determining rankings rather than silly old wins and losses. Biggest bulge, fattest ass, that kind of thing.
You're right.

It's time for a rethink.

I personally think it's time we introduced swimsuit and evening gown rounds.

Bargearse
08-16-2009, 09:35 PM
The result is no surprise. Murray is mentally tougher than Del Potro and obviously wore him down.

fast_clay
08-16-2009, 09:35 PM
potro had tought matches this week, dont forget that he saved MP against Roddick and was break and set down against Hanescu

yes... this contributed to murray's win today... welcome to sport...

ballbasher101
08-16-2009, 09:37 PM
People used to make fun of Murray's fitness but now they hate him for being fitter than the likes of Del-potro. As some have already said tennis is more than just about skill, fitness is also a huge part of the game.

fast_clay
08-16-2009, 09:38 PM
You're right.

It's time for a rethink.

the djok tried that sh!t on this week... someone forgot to tell him no points were awarded...

still, he probably got a few hugs later on so... ok...

Drusilla
08-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Not sure how many Murray fans have admitted it BUT..

He is a pusher.

The best pusher ever seen.

Up to others to beat him...

Of course there's more to his game but ultimately...

He's the best pusher of all time...

And that's not necessarily an insult...he's a GREAT pusher.

Clara Bow
08-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Scoobs- must say it makes me sad to see you on the Delpo hater train. I know you don't like him but since he has been tired for a while I don't think he was faking and horrible for calling a time out. I think he needed it.

I am damned to like loathed players here on MTF. It makes it less fun for me when every player I like is called a mug, a faker, a disgrace, etc. Sigh....

scoobs
08-16-2009, 09:40 PM
the djok tried that sh!t on this week... someone forgot to tell him no points were awarded...

still, he probably got a few hugs later on so... ok...
Not for the first time, he's showing us the way.

If we can get William Shatner to introduce these rounds and then allocate ATP ranking points for those who look the most comely in a 2 piece, and a backless black number with a slit thigh and spaghetti straps, then we'd go a long way to sorting out the ATP and the mess it's in, I feel.

scoobs
08-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Scoobs- must say it makes me sad to see you on the Delpo hater train. I know you don't like him but since he has been tired for a while I don't think he was faking and horrible for calling a time out. I think he needed it.

I am damned to like loathed players here on MTF. It makes it less fun for me when every player I like is called a mug, a faker, a disgrace, etc. Sigh....
I don't hate him.

I have a lot of respect for him as a player. But I have seen enough of his antics and their timing, not just today, to not trust that there isn't some element of calculation in them. Hopefully he will grow out of it, if that is the case. Not just the medical timeout before the opponent has to serve to stay in the match, but the lengthy toilet breaks, the delay of game between points that's starting to make Massu and Nadal look like they rush....

As for liking unpopular players, I feel your pain. Murray is even less well regarded around here.

Voo de Mar
08-16-2009, 09:47 PM
People used to make fun of Murray's fitness but now they hate him for being fitter than the likes of Del-potro. As some have already said tennis is more than just about skill, fitness is also a huge part of the game.

Cincinnati is the real test for Murray's fitness. Winning back-back Toronto (Montreal)-Cincinnati is more difficult than Indian Wells-Miami. After Indian Wells you have 5 or 6 days rest before another match in Miami, after Canadian Open, only 2 days to regenerate physical fitness before first match in Cincy.

buddyholly
08-16-2009, 09:48 PM
You're right.

It's time for a rethink.

And instead of tiebreakers Perez Hilton could ask the contestants a question each and the panel of judges could decide who gave the best answer. Tiebreakers have always been too much about the player's nerve, determination and fitness. Time to give the less able contestants a break.

scoobs
08-16-2009, 09:49 PM
And instead of tiebreakers Perez Hilton could ask the contestants a question each and the panel of judges could decide who gave the best answer. Tiebreakers have always been too much about the player's nerve, determination and fitness. Time to give the less able contestants a break.
and of course, style points for the matches, so Gasquet can get back into the top 10 with the swish of a backhand...

Clara Bow
08-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Scoobs- I do think Delpo has gotten a LOT better about time outs and retirements. But he did look like he was going to die on his legs- even for me as someone who as seen his Eeyore antics for a while. So I can't damn him today- he did look tired- even for him who always looks like he is on 'ludes. :)

fast_clay
08-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Not for the first time, he's showing us the way.

If we can get William Shatner to introduce these rounds and then allocate ATP ranking points for those who look the most comely in a 2 piece, and a backless black number with a slit thigh and spaghetti straps, then we'd go a long way to sorting out the ATP and the mess it's in, I feel.

murray and del potro could have wrestled in cage match today pre match to take the place of a coin toss... murray would have still won...

buddyholly
08-16-2009, 09:52 PM

still, he probably got a few hugs later on so... ok...:lol:

Points for that will be introduced at next year's Serbian Open. It is his tournament so he can make the rules.

Drusilla
08-16-2009, 09:53 PM
Scoobs- I do think Delpo has gotten a LOT better about time outs and retirements. But he did look like he was going to die on his legs- even for me as someone who as seen his Eeyore antics for a while. So I can't damn him today- he did look tired- even for him who always looks like he is on 'ludes. :)

Fairly serious problem for him then.

How many sets did he play?

Do you really not realise how infuriating this 'tired' argument is?

I suppose the schedule was a surprise?

It's not a slam.....

scoobs
08-16-2009, 09:54 PM
murray and del potro could have wrestled in cage match today pre match to take the place of a coin toss... murray would have still won...
Vince McMahon would solve these problems - when push comes to shove, knock the umpire out and hit the other guy with a steel chair, then wake up the umpire, tell him it's match point, and serve an ace. Sorted.

The WWE doesn't do tennis, but if it did...

fast_clay
08-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Cincinnati is the real test for Murray's fitness. Winning back-back Toronto (Montreal)-Cincinnati is more difficult than Indian Wells-Miami. After Indian Wells you have 5 or 6 days rest before another match in Miami, after Canadian Open, only 2 days to regenerate physical fitness before first match in Cincy.

yeah back2back MS here could only be considered Herculean... two levels above Spartan... i dont think Team Murray would be too disappointed in a QF exit next in all honesty...

fast_clay
08-16-2009, 10:01 PM

Points for that will be introduced at next year's Serbian Open. It is his tournament so he can make the rules.

yes... also, free hugs for all spectators...

Getta
08-16-2009, 10:01 PM

love chess... especially the creative aspect of it...

Can someone of this unfortunates answered on my question ?

Maybe help me to take murray's game on different way ?

currently there's no hope. ;)

CelesteBlanca
08-16-2009, 10:04 PM

It's not a slam.....

It's not just fatigue, Delpo has shoulder and back problem... Didn't all of you see the medical timeout? Still, he did't retire until the end.

And congratulate Muzza for this title. Every player is not easy, isn't it?

rubbERR
08-16-2009, 10:08 PM
it was his LEFT shoulder, not his right, he couldnt serve 3rd set because he was tired...nothing to do with his shoulder.

Clara Bow
08-16-2009, 10:11 PM

It's not a slam.....

The tired mention is not trying to take from Andy. One thing that players need to improve on is fitness. Andy is a great example of that. He is a fitter player and has worked on that and deserves his props. But even two years ago his fitness was still a work in progress. He used to be bashed for his fitness a lot but worked on it and is now one of the fittest guys on the tour.

I think Delpo could work on his fitness and right now the lack of it compared to the top players is a detriment to him. I am sorry if you think it is "infuriating" to think as such. But for young players- fitness is often something they need to work on and Elf is one of them. He may not ever become very fit- but I do think it is an area he could improve on. Sorry if that is infuriating. ;)

rocketassist
08-16-2009, 10:12 PM

Roddick isn't given enough credit round here for doing this double as well as the US Open he won that summer.

Duncan
08-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Brilliant week for Andy, another MS title and No.2 ranking.

Time to top it all and win the US Open now.

Gotta laugh at all the haters. So bitter :lol:

decrepitude
08-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Just read through the entire thread :lol:

I think I'll go buy some Kleenex shares. The sales of tissues must be rocketing. . .

fast_clay
08-16-2009, 10:19 PM
It's not just fatigue, Delpo has shoulder and back problem... Didn't all of you see the medical timeout? Still, he did't retire until the end.

And congratulate Muzza for this title. Every player is not easy, isn't it?

yes... very much worth mentioning that, altho inevitable, he took his loss like a man... at the end, like you should...

lesser characters take a less honourable passage and end the match on their terms as some sort of statement...

would've made a good secondrower for the Pumas...

rocketassist
08-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Must be a lot of Liverpool fans in GM because a whole lot of people in here lately are behaving like them :lol:

fast_clay
08-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Roddick isn't given enough credit round here for doing this double as well as the US Open he won that summer.

and not maybe since the year after, 04, has he been in the shape required to repeat it...

epic set of results indeed...

Drusilla
08-16-2009, 10:22 PM
The tired mention is not trying to take from Andy. One thing that players need to improve on is fitness. Andy is a great example of that. He is a fitter player and has worked on that and deserves his props. But even two years ago his fitness was still a work in progress. He used to be bashed for his fitness a lot but worked on it and is now one of the fittest guys on the tour.

I think Delpo could work on his fitness and right now the lack of it compared to the top players is a detriment to him. I am sorry if you think it is "infuriating" to think as such. But for young players- fitness is often something they need to work on and Elf is one of them. He may not ever become very fit- but I do think it is an area he could improve on. Sorry if that is infuriating. ;)

Twas used as an insult for Murray in years gone by...an excuse now for Del Potro fans.

I happen to think Del Potro will become a great player...but the fact he is deemed 'too tired' in a 3 set tournament really is weak...which is what I was meaning.

Compared to the yokels yelling on Murray for being 'tired' on the US open 5 setter next day vs Fed....it really seems rather churlish.

Your man will have his day....enjoy it when it comes and put excuses aside and give rightful praise when another does better.

Del Potro is destined to duel Murray for years...the 'tired' thing can hold the slightest water for one more year at most.

Let's face it...3 set tourney...you and I know he shouldn't be tired.

I won't deny the fact that that Del Potro is a bigger threat to Murray's future wins than either Fed or Nadal IMO.

buddyholly
08-16-2009, 10:30 PM
it was his LEFT shoulder, not his right, he couldnt serve 3rd set because he was tired...nothing to do with his shoulder.

A lot do do with his shoulder, maybe. His ball toss was way off, thus all the double faults.

buddyholly
08-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Just read through the entire thread :lol:

I think I'll go buy some Kleenex shares. The sales of tissues must be rocketing. . .

While you're out, get some Charmin' shares as well.

Clydey
08-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Gotta mention Murray's incredible record in HC Masters over the last year. He's won 4 of the last 6 HC Masters and has been in the final of 5 of the last 6. That's some insane consistency. Surely his first major will come at the USO or in Australia next year.

fast_clay
08-16-2009, 10:35 PM
I won't deny the fact that that Del Potro is a bigger threat to Murray's future wins than either Fed or Nadal IMO.

once Del Potro learns to treat the junk with disrespect like most other questions that are thrown at him, then he be sorted...

where it'll get really interesting will be to see murray's tactic then morph again to suit once this junkball holding tactic runs its course...

betowiec
08-16-2009, 10:39 PM
never in doubt
well done Andy
props to JMDP for not quitting

Guga_fan
08-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Gotta mention Murray's incredible record in HC Masters over the last year. He's won 4 of the last 6 HC Masters and has been in the final of 5 of the last 6. That's some insane consistency. Surely his first major will come at the USO or in Australia next year.
I'd definitely say USO, the higher ball bounce in Australia does not suits his game that much, although I can see him winning there too.

selyoink
08-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Lucky Murray winning a big title like this purely by being a pusher. Is he trying to imitate his idol Nadull?

Clydey
08-16-2009, 10:48 PM
I'd definitely say USO, the higher ball bounce in Australia does not suits his game that much, although I can see him winning there too.

I'm not so sure. I've seen him play some incredible tennis in Australia. This year's loss literally came down to one or two points. Got taken by surprise by Verdasco a bit. Outpointed him actually, but lost the big points in the final set.

He does prefer the US Open, though. I hope he wins there first actually. The AO seems to be the slam of choice for one slam wonders.

LaFuria
08-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Great work for Juan Martin, but he can definitely get better too. Better fitness and a bit more creativity (which can come with experience if you don't play like a coward ala Murray) will make him deadly.

moon language
08-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Do some cardio Juan.

Drusilla
08-16-2009, 11:16 PM
once Del Potro learns to treat the junk with disrespect like most other questions that are thrown at him, then he be sorted...

where it'll get really interesting will be to see murray's tactic then morph again to suit once this junkball holding tactic runs its course...

Yes....pretty much nailed it.

We're talking the future of tennis the next 3 seasons.

Wanna keep it a secret?

It's the future.

RagingLamb
08-16-2009, 11:22 PM
Interesting match.

Does anyone have the stats break down by set (Voo)?

lessthanjake
08-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Murray can overtake Federer if he makes up 2500 the rest of the year

L James
08-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Lucky shit, Andy

Guga_fan
08-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Murray can overtake Federer if he makes up 2500 the rest of the year
That's pretty tough, also because I think Federer's bound to have better results at the end of the season than he had last year. But if he does well in Australia he has a chance.

VolandriFan
08-16-2009, 11:33 PM
As predicted. Good fight from Del Potro, but far too fatigued to pull out the win.

buddyholly
Lucky Murray winning a big title like this purely by being a pusher. Is he trying to imitate his idol Nadull?

Pushing the ball into an area of the court that your opponent can't get to is so unfair. It makes the other guy look sluggish and unfit. It's not cricket.

Laba
Very expected result. Juan could have only won in straights.

Voo de Mar
08-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Murray def. Del Potro 6-7(4) 7-6(3) 6-1

1st set (66 minutes)

1:0 Murray (0) ; 1:1 Del Potro (15)
2:1 Murray (30) ; 2:2 Del Potro (15)
3:2 Murray (15) ; 3:3 Del Potro (2D - 1 bp)
4:3 Murray (15) ; 4:4 Del Potro (15)
5:4 Murray (30) ; 5:5 Del Potro (15)
6:5 Murray (15) ; 6:6 Del Potro (1D)

Tie-break

1:0 Murray
1:1 Del Potro; 1:2 Del Potro
2:2 Murray; 3:2 Murray
3:3 Del Potro, 3:4 Del Potro
4:4 Murray; 4:5 Murray
4:6 Del Potro, 4-7 Del Potro

2nd set (71 minutes)

1:0 Del Potro (3D) ; 1:1 Murray (1D)
1:2 Del Potro (1D - 1 bp) ; 2:2 Murray (15)
2:3 Del Potro (15) ; 3:3 Murray (0)
3:4 Del Potro (1D) ; 4:4 Murray (0)
4:5 Del Potro (2D - 1 bp) ; 5:5 Murray (15)
5:6 Del Potro (30) ; 6:6 Murray (0)

Tie-break

0:1 Del Potro
1:1 Murray,; 2:1 Murray
2:2 Del Potro; 3:2 Del Potro
4:2 Murray; 4:3 Murray
5:3 Del Potro; 6:3 Del Potro
7-3 Murray

3rd set (27 minutes)

1:0 Murray (0) ; 2:0 Del Potro (30)
3:0 Murray (0) ; 4:0 Del Potro (0)
4:1 Murray (15); 5:1 Del Potro (30)
6-1 Murray (15)

SERVICE POINTS (including aces/service winners/unreturned):
Murray - 39 ; Del Potro - 31

WINNERS:
- forehand: Murray - 8 ; Del Potro - 17
- backhand: Murray - 8 ; Del Potro - 3
- volley: Murray - 1 ; Del Potro - 5
- smash: Murray - 0 ; Del Potro - 4
- lob: Murray - 0 ; Del Potro - 0
- dropshot: Murray - 2 ; Del Potro - 0

ERRORS:
- forehand: Murray - 16 ; Del Potro - 20
- backhand: Murray - 14 ; Del Potro - 30
- volley/smash: Murray - 1 ; Del Potro - 3
- lob: Murray - 0 ; Del Potro - 1
- double faults: Murray - 1 ; Del Potro - 5

BREAK POINTS:
Murray 4/10 (7 games) ; Del Potro 2/3 (2 games)

Challenges: Murray 1/5 ; Del Potro 1/3

Bad Religion
08-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Del Pony was not injured at all, so stop with that :bs: Ponyfans

When the argentines are losing , they try with dirty tricks. I know them

CescAndyKimi
08-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Never in doubt.

GlennMirnyi
08-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Del Pony was not injured at all, so stop with that :bs: Ponyfans

When the argentines are losing , they try with dirty tricks. I know them

Chilean tennis players are the epitome of sportsmanship, right?

rubbERR
08-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Delpo wasnt injured, he was dead tired, he couldnt compete 3rd set at all he just couldnt move or serve that 3rd set.

CescAndyKimi
08-17-2009, 12:03 AM
Delpo wasnt injured, he was dead tired, he couldnt compete 3rd set at all he just couldnt move or serve that 3rd set.

Why was he tired? Because he was a dumbass and played 3 setters and long tie breaks with Nadal and Roddick?

His fault. Or he is tired because while others were resting he was playing Washington? He won that, confidence high. He met his end in a player that absorbs ball bashers.

Maybe he should spend more energy constructing points instead of bashing the fur off the seams.

GlennMirnyi
08-17-2009, 12:04 AM
It was all faking.

Pony is graduating as the best student in Fakervic's school of faking and timewasting.

amonb
08-17-2009, 12:08 AM
where it'll get really interesting will be to see murray's tactic then morph again to suit once this junkball holding tactic runs its course...well he's a proper tennis player so he'll adjust accordingly unlike delpo who suddenly gets injured or tired when his 'hit that ball as hard as i can' game doesn't work for him!!!

rubbERR
08-17-2009, 12:09 AM
says glennmirnyi who is wasting his life only sitting front of his computer. :lol:

GlennMirnyi
08-17-2009, 12:14 AM
says glennmirnyi who is wasting his life only sitting front of his computer. :lol:

Maybe you should waste your life learning English. :)

rubbERR
08-17-2009, 12:24 AM
Maybe you should waste your life learning English. :)

edit: .... :lol:

FairWeatherFan
08-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Awful match. These truly are sad days for tennis.

River
08-17-2009, 12:32 AM
Congrats to Andy for his MS title and #2 Ranking!

But to the Murray fans who are pretty much here saying "Del Potro got tired, so the fuck what"

I really hope you guys own up if and when Murray ever gets outlasted by more fitter players and pushing the ball doesn't cut it. I'm not too keen in rubbing too much shit on people's faces, but to each his own, you know. I'm a Del Potro fan and I know his physical endurance blows, so yeah, he lost fair and square and he knows it.

But even I know that Murray, even at this level, can still be outlasted in terms of fitness by other players. If he ever gases out and loses, don't cry about it. I'm not, and I think Del Potro's a great guy.

DekuTheEvilClown
08-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Murray didn't play his best but there are a lot of positives to take from this tournament.

He served just under 10 aces a match and was winning 61.5% on second serve. 64% over the last 4 matches.(he's 54% for the year, best anyone has is 57%)

He won 91.5% of his service games. 90+ is roddick/Karlovic territory.(would have been higher if he didn't lose concentration in that one service game in teh final set)

His returning stats were below his season average. It was his strong service games that won this tournament, and with that's with only a 52% first serve and it went completely AWOL for the whole Tsonga match and the first set against Del Potro.

When Murray gets his Return game fully keyed in and winning 40%+ of return games(which he is easily capable of on a HC) he's going to be extremly hard to beat. Not to mention his First Serve up to about 60%.

Ichiban1920
08-17-2009, 12:46 AM
At least the MM King Del Mugro lost, that's all that matters.

Sapeod
08-17-2009, 12:47 AM
It's sad but that is his best , It's sad for tennis , It's sad to be muuray fan , all with murray it's sad...
Jesus, somebody call suicide watch :rolleyes:

Sapeod
08-17-2009, 12:48 AM
You little babies need to stop whining like little bitches and get over it.

rubbERR
08-17-2009, 12:51 AM
says 14 year old kid, gosh.... this is getting worse and worse :haha:

River
08-17-2009, 12:54 AM
Half of this thread has nothing to do with tennis and more on who can clown better.

Ugh.

Sapeod
08-17-2009, 12:56 AM
says 14 year old kid, gosh.... this is getting worse and worse :haha:
Go back to the bath Rubber ducky :wavey: I'm simply saying all these posters need to stop bitching and deal with it. Murray won, just deal with it.

rubbERR
08-17-2009, 12:59 AM
Go back to the bath Rubber ducky :wavey: I'm simply saying all these posters need to stop bitching and deal with it. Murray won, just deal with it.

i have no problem with that, credit to him that he owns better fitness than delpo but their hardcourt level is pretty much same level when they are both fit.

Sapeod
08-17-2009, 01:00 AM
i have no problem with that, credit to him that he owns better fitness than delpo but their hardcourt level is pretty much same level when theyre both fit.
Murray is the better hardcourt player, but Del Potro has much much heavier groundstrokes and so is a dangerous player on this surface.

fast_clay
08-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Congrats to Andy for his MS title and #2 Ranking!

But to the Murray fans who are pretty much here saying "Del Potro got tired, so the fuck what"

I really hope you guys own up if and when Murray ever gets outlasted by more fitter players and pushing the ball doesn't cut it. I'm not too keen in rubbing too much shit on people's faces, but to each his own, you know. I'm a Del Potro fan and I know his physical endurance blows, so yeah, he lost fair and square and he knows it.

But even I know that Murray, even at this level, can still be outlasted in terms of fitness by other players. If he ever gases out and loses, don't cry about it. I'm not, and I think Del Potro's a great guy.

i am sorry you feel this way... its ok... we all hurt... there is an R.E.M. song that you should check out to help you get through this...

FedFan_2007
08-17-2009, 01:07 AM
It's not Murray's fault Del Potro was exhausted. Nobody made DelPo play Washington. However Murray fans made excuses for their man last year in the 2008 US Open final citing "exhaustion". No excuses.

rubbERR
08-17-2009, 01:10 AM
even fool was able to see potros exhaustion that 3rd set.

Sapeod
08-17-2009, 01:11 AM
He may have been exhausted rubbERR, but that was his own fault for playing Washington. Nobody elses, so clearly the better player on the day won :shrug:

rubbERR
08-17-2009, 01:13 AM
better player won sure, murray played more steady baseline tennis.

but didnt u see how potro was serving that 3rd set? he was just putting that 1st serve in with no pace :D

Murray actually only made 22 unforced errors while Delpo made 51

River
08-17-2009, 01:15 AM
i am sorry you feel this way... its ok... we all hurt... there is an R.E.M. song that you should check out to help you get through this...

/sarcasm?

>> More tennis please.

Sapeod
08-17-2009, 01:16 AM
better player won sure, murray played more steady baseline tennis.

but didnt u see how potro was serving that 3rd set? he was just putting that 1st serve in with no pace :D

Murray actually only made 22 unforced errors while Delpo made 51
I didn't actually see the match so I can't comment on how Potro was playing. But it sounds as if he was exhasted. O.K :shrug: But Murray won and that's that.

TennisMindCamp
08-17-2009, 01:17 AM
Great work Andy!

rubbERR
08-17-2009, 01:21 AM
I didn't actually see the match so I can't comment on how Potro was playing. But it sounds as if he was exhasted. O.K :shrug: But Murray won and that's that.

yeah...potro was serving his 1st serves like those were 2nd serves, first two sets he was serving 215-225km/h 1st serves and 3rd set those serves were 160-180km/h and he was just spraying the ball all over the place

Murray was able to hit winners all over the place, potro didnt even run. :lol:

fast_clay
08-17-2009, 01:27 AM
/sarcasm?

>> More tennis please.

that is what del potro's head was saying... but, there was a massive, massive conflict of interest with that and what his body was saying...

head: 'more tennis please'

body: 'sleep now'

but seriously, del potro went on that streak last year... 4 mm tourneys on the tear... just shows the step up in level of the 1000 series... even despite the bye... the physical and nervous energy required to get through those last few matches was epic because, in the way he mentally handled roddick from start to finish was granite... rock like... the consistancy of heavy second serves + clean winners under pressure is something that murray doesnt seem to own in abundance... and even when his body says no more, he still went out with a game plan, albeit a pretty raw one: swing away...

still... R.E.M. ... they comfort the tears my friend...

sawan66278
08-17-2009, 02:07 AM
The match showed a few things:

1. Del Potro is NOT ready to win a slam. If you cannot go three sets, how can you hope to win seven best of five matches? And, I know he was tired, but the taking from the "Book of Novak"? Bush league.

2. Murray deserves credit for improving his fitness. However, he again showed, he struggles in putting away opponents when he should more easily. And, the yelling at his camp? Annoying, and too much wasted negative energy.

3. Federer is still the clear favorite. Why? He knows how to win on the biggest of stages...in a best of five format.

4. After the tourney, I would rank the favorites as the following:

a. Federer
b. Roddick
c. Murray
d. Rafa
e. Del Potro
f. Djokovic

DJ Soup
08-17-2009, 02:14 AM
Delpo lost, but he was exhausted.
All in all, I'm very happy with Delpo's performance. In my eyes, Delpo showed that had he been fresh, he'd have defeated AndyM.

Delpo himself said he was happy despite the results, so I think that's good for his serenity.

But yeah, he needs to keep on working with his endurance, but I guess that is only a matter of time.

Sapeod
08-17-2009, 02:16 AM

1. Del Potro is NOT ready to win a slam. If you cannot go three sets, how can you hope to win seven best of five matches? And, I know he was tired, but the taking from the "Book of Novak"? Bush league.

2. Murray deserves credit for improving his fitness. However, he again showed, he struggles in putting away opponents when he should more easily. And, the yelling at his camp? Annoying, and too much wasted negative energy.

3. Federer is still the clear favorite. Why? He knows how to win on the biggest of stages...in a best of five format.

a. Federer
b. Roddick
c. Murray
d. Rafa
e. Del Potro
f. Djokovic
Hmm. The only thing I would change in this post is Del Potro's place. I would put him above Nadal. Nadal isn't back to his best and it depends if Del otro is feeling tired by the US Open. If he is still tired, sure Nadal is ahead of him. Nadal doesn't seem to be hurting anymore.

vamosinator
08-17-2009, 02:41 AM
Is Del Potro playing Cincy? If he is then I think he will lose early in the US Open or struggle into the QF and lose. He isn't strong enough to play as much as he does, it happened last year too.

sawan66278
08-17-2009, 02:48 AM
Hmm. The only thing I would change in this post is Del Potro's place. I would put him above Nadal. Nadal isn't back to his best and it depends if Del otro is feeling tired by the US Open. If he is still tired, sure Nadal is ahead of him. Nadal doesn't seem to be hurting anymore.

The only reason I put Delpo ahead of Rafa is because it is almost ALWAYS hot in NY during the Open, and I just don't see Delpo outlasting any of the big guns (including Rafa) in a best of five.

All in all, this may very well be the most wide open U.S. Open in the modern era.

sawan66278
08-17-2009, 02:49 AM
Is Del Potro playing Cincy? If he is then I think he will lose early in the US Open or struggle into the QF and lose. He isn't strong enough to play as much as he does, it happened last year too.

Delpo should skip Cincinnati. If he REALLY feels out of sorts before the Open, play doubles in New Haven. Same with Rafa...he should enter New Haven and play ONLY doubles.

Clydey
08-17-2009, 03:03 AM

a. Federer
b. Roddick
c. Murray
d. Rafa
e. Del Potro
f. Djokovic

You rank Roddick ahead of Murray as 2nd favourite for the US Open even though Murray was last year's USO finalist, has won 4 of the last 6 HC Masters (been in 5 of the last 6 finals), including the most recent one? Sorry, but either you're a rabid Roddick fan or you're not right in the head. Roddick doesn't even win Masters anymore (or get to finals), let alone majors. He rarely even wins 250s and 500s on hard. Seriously, what possible reason could you have for ranking Roddick as second favourite for the USO?

Also, Murray was not shouting at his camp.

Clydey
08-17-2009, 03:05 AM

You would keep Roddick as second fabourite for the USO, above Murray? I'm sorry, but that just boggles the mind.

TMJordan
08-17-2009, 03:22 AM
Anyone ranking Roddick ahead of Murray at anything tennis wise should be checked into a mental hospital asap.