Which player do you prefer? Del Potro or Murray? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which player do you prefer? Del Potro or Murray?

tennishero
08-16-2009, 12:27 PM
They've had an intersting rivalry since juniors.
Both seem to have their fair share of haters and supporters on MTF.

So which player do you prefer overall, in terms of tennis style, personality etc?

http://www.australianopen.com/images/pics/large/b_Del_Potro_21_1.jpg / http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40758000/jpg/_40758946_murray_celeb.jpg

murray_2k8
08-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Del Potro is like the Safina of the ATP for me. Wholly uninteresting, with a game and an image that no matter how much I try and tolerate/enjoy, I find myself struggling to sit through a match of theirs. :shrug: I would rather Murray was playing anyone else in the final today :shrug:

rubbERR
08-16-2009, 12:30 PM
:lol:

chenx15
08-16-2009, 12:32 PM
I am a del potro fan because I think he cureently is the future of ATP.

Matt01
08-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Del Potro.

Del Potro is like the Safina of the ATP for me. Wholly uninteresting, with a game and an image that no matter how much I try and tolerate/enjoy, I find myself struggling to sit through a match of theirs. :shrug: I would rather Murray was playing anyone else in the final today :shrug:

And I'm sure there are other people who prefer watching Del Potro and find his game much more interesting and exciting and have a hard time sitting through any of Murray's matches :shrug:

tea
08-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Oh it's like to ask what do you like more: art or boredom. Should I concretize that I like Murray more?
Funny to admit that in the future in this terms this couple can be kinda Federer-Nadal copy. Where one is a stylish all-arounder and the other is just a powerful worker.

Quadruple Tree
08-16-2009, 12:43 PM
If he stopped trying to go for winners and started yelling "COME ON!" after every point, would you be a fan?

murray_2k8
08-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Del Potro.

And I'm sure there are other people who prefer watching Del Potro and find his game much more interesting and exciting and have a hard time sitting through any of Murray's matches :shrug:

I dont doubt that for a second. I guess this thread is the perfect place for them to also express their views then, dont you think?

Matt01
08-16-2009, 12:48 PM
I dont doubt that for a second. I guess this thread is the perfect place for them to also express their views then, dont you think?

Yes, and I just did that.

VolandriFan
08-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Del Potro. I find his stroke production pleasant to watch, he moves very well for a guy of his height, he's attractive, he's almost always gracious and fair to his opponents, yet has bold ambitions and a strong desire to succeed. I also like the fact that he's not afraid to utilize his tear ducts; you know, those things everyone has.

murray_2k8
08-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Yes, and I just did that.

And what exactly did you think I was doing, fool? :rolls:

Matt01
08-16-2009, 12:55 PM
And what exactly did you think I was doing, fool? :rolls:

Posting crap. And now you're insulting me. :wavey:

Clown.

leng jai
08-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Del Potro. I find his stroke production pleasant to watch, he moves very well for a guy of his height, he's attractive, he's almost always gracious and fair to his opponents, yet has bold ambitions and a strong desire to succeed. I also like the fact that he's not afraid to utilize his tear ducts; you know, those things everyone has.

He certainly is.

ballbasher101
08-16-2009, 01:03 PM
I prefer Muzza but I actually don't mind Del-pony. There are very few players I dislike on the tour.

murray_2k8
08-16-2009, 01:10 PM

Clown.

:haha: Funny stuff. Did my opinion upset you? :baby:

There, there :hug:

Certinfy
08-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Murray's my fave player, and Del Potro's my 2nd fave player...

fnuf7
08-16-2009, 01:13 PM
There's something kind of sweet about Del Potro, can't work out what it is but something endears him to me. He's not one of my absolute favourites but I do like him & certainly more than I like Murray.

green25814
08-16-2009, 01:16 PM
I dont hate Potro, i find his game annoying but he's just a tennis player after all. Definitely prefer Murray of course.

orangehat
08-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Where's the Neither option? Couldn't dislike any player more than these 2.

Sapeod
08-16-2009, 01:27 PM

Clown.
Are you going to report him and go cry to the mods now? http://www.smileygarden.de/smilie/Babys/001.gif

Anyway, I pick Murray obviously. It actually surprised me that he's winning this poll. Del Potro will probably overtake him some time.

ballbasher101
08-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Where's the Neither option? Couldn't dislike any player more than these 2.

It is a good thing that there are only two options then :devil:

Burrow
08-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Del Potro easily, he doesn't come across as arrogant.

blank_frackis
08-16-2009, 01:47 PM
(Del Potro) is attractive

He looks like someone's cross-bred a tree with an effeminate schoolboy.

Anyway I prefer Murray. He's more interesting to watch, has more character and doesn't wear cut offs.

Steelq
08-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Del Potro is slightly less boring.

nab_94
08-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Del Potro :kiss:

I just hate Murray's style!

Goldenoldie
08-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Nothing against Del Potro but I find him a bit one-dimensional. Excellent player but never anything to get excited about in his style of play.

Murray can indeed be boring for long periods, but then he unleashes a perfect cross court pass, or a lob, or an incredible piece of retrieving and I forgive him everything. He has a magic unpredictability I have only seen matched by Rosewall, Borg and a prime Federer.

Burrow
08-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Nothing against Del Potro but I find him a bit one-dimensional. Excellent player but never anything to get excited about in his style of play.

Murray can indeed be boring for long periods, but then he unleashes a perfect cross court pass, or a lob, or an incredible piece of retrieving and I forgive him everything. He has a magic unpredictability I have only seen matched by Rosewall, Borg and a prime Federer.

:spit:

samanosuke
08-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Murray is the worst thing that could happened for tennis

Guga_fan
08-16-2009, 02:45 PM
I don't like their games, but I like Del Potro's determination.

Iván
08-16-2009, 02:47 PM
JMDP groundies are spectacular

Jaz
08-16-2009, 03:06 PM
DelPo is far more pleasant to watch and a better personality. Win Win...

Murray, is quite boring in his Tennis style, and his personality has distinct similarities with Gordon Brown.

angry1
08-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Is it possible for any of the miserable whining git majority to express a preference without the need to denigrate the other one?

For me Murray,but if I were a glory hunter I'd go for JMDP as I see him as a surer bet to nab a slam.His game I think has great potential to expand.

The average Murray performance may be less entertaining to many,but the rare occasions when he brings his full breadth of talents to bear make him my preference.I don't think the implication he is ungracious is remotely accurate.

They both seem to leave any animosity on the court,looking reasonably friendly after the last couple of matches they've played.

Chiakifug
08-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Del Potro, i prefer watching his game, and hes not an annoying prick on court either.

River
08-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Del Potro.

There's a sense of humbleness I get from him. I can't find anything in his personality that's not so bad.

Oh, and he annoys the shit out of Murray :yeah: which I believe is good enough to destroy Murray inside out. People keep saying Murray's mentally tough. All it takes is one thing to set him off and boom... there goes his game.

Murray has mental endurance. But his mental concentration is freakin weak as a twig. If things don't go his way, he tends to remember too much of the bad things.

But I don't get that too much from DP. I'm sure there are plenty of matches where it happened to him but iono.. He can sustain it longer.

Murray can hit all the "genius" shots all he wants. Just piss him off, he'll be screaming "FUCK!" every point afterwards.

damnboy
08-16-2009, 03:38 PM
i love del potro
how sweet and nice he is
a man with a sexy face
he looks so innocent and very humble
future no.1
i love him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt01
08-16-2009, 03:52 PM
:haha: Funny stuff. Did my opinion upset you? :baby:

No, didn't upset me. Just found it annoying :kiss:

habibko
08-16-2009, 03:53 PM
very close call, I prefer's Murray's tennis overall but mostly when he plays aggressively, or when he shows his slice mastery from time to time, Del Potro's clean hitting and powerful strokes are also pleasing in their own way depending on the matchup (who is he playing against), but I give Murray the edge here.

personality/character/antics wise, Del Potro has the edge since Murray's antics annoy me, I'd say 51% Murray 49% Del Pony, so I voted Murray.

ArgieFan
08-16-2009, 03:55 PM

Clown.

:lol:

I prefer JMDP, any human being that loves tennis would prefer any player instead of Andy "Most boring tennis player ever" Murray...

murray_2k8
08-16-2009, 04:24 PM
No, didn't upset me. Just found it annoying :kiss:

I'm very happy to hear that Matt :inlove:

maki925
08-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Delpo,ofc :) My second favorite player!

Murray - never!!!:eek:

Johnny Groove
08-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Not really a fan of either, per se, but I'd have to say Del Potro.

Its impressive how he can move so well for a guy that big, reminds me of Safin back in the day, especially the big serve of Del Potro and massive strokes off both wings. Can turn a rally around if he gets time to set up for his shots. Devastating at times.

Murray is as boring as they come. His patient game of waiting for the error combined with his childish, nasally come ons after every point make me want to vomit. I fail to see how anyone other than a Brit could be a fan.

Serenidad
08-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Del Potro.

Murray matches are easy to sit through. Shades of Wingisova at her best.

I definitely prefer Murray and I agree with the Del Trio/Safina comparison only Del Trio does not get into catfights against Top 75 ranked players. Watching Murray change tactics and strategy twice or thrice in a match is just wonderful to watch.

MalwareDie
08-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Murray by far. Mug Pony is a crime to tennis.

Jaz
08-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Is it possible for any of the miserable whining git majority to express a preference without the need to denigrate the other one?

For me Murray,but if I were a glory hunter I'd go for JMDP as I see him as a surer bet to nab a slam.His game I think has great potential to expand.

The average Murray performance may be less entertaining to many,but the rare occasions when he brings his full breadth of talents to bear make him my preference.I don't think the implication he is ungracious is remotely accurate.

They both seem to leave any animosity on the court,looking reasonably friendly after the last couple of matches they've played.

How is DelPo supporter a gloryhunter.

Murray is the man touted at the next GOAT and no.1 by the media. He is the man with multiple Masters Series wins. He is the man who's got to a GS final..?

Drusilla
08-16-2009, 05:07 PM
Murray.

Though I do not dislike Del Potro.

I suspect the sheer venom of the Murray haters make me like him even more.

roberthenman
08-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Andy far

oliverbwfc
08-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Not a big fan of either but I think I slightly prefer watching Del Potro, bit more aggresive, comes across as a bit of a nicer guy as well.

angry1
08-16-2009, 05:41 PM
How is DelPo supporter a gloryhunter.

Murray is the man touted at the next GOAT and no.1 by the media. He is the man with multiple Masters Series wins. He is the man who's got to a GS final..?

I didn't mean DelP fans were gloryhunters.I meant I would be a gloryhunter if I changed to supporting Del Potro more than Murray,given my belief in his future.

It was a clumsy way of saying that gloryhunting wasn't any part of my reason for supporting Murray,while also saying I see a very bright future for JMDP.

Any time you express support for a player doing well you tend to get called a gloryhunter on here so I was dismissing that as a reason for my preference.

abraxas21
08-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Murray plays like a girl... So Del Potro

turkjey5
08-16-2009, 06:02 PM
i don't dislike delpo, he's just boring...big power.

Drusilla
08-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Murray plays like a girl...

Out of interest....

What exactly do you mean by that?

Tis obviously not a literal meaning so...

abraxas21
08-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Out of interest....

What exactly do you mean by that?

Tis obviously not a literal meaning so...

he plays like a girl because his game basically consists of passing the ball to the other side and force his opponent to take a high risk shot (something that he would never even try to do). Like Nadal, he's simply a ball pusher and thus most of the times he's not aggresive at all, he just wants to force an error in his opponent. That's how he wins matches and that's why people don't like him.

no sexism intended of course.....

Drusilla
08-16-2009, 06:38 PM
he plays like a girl because his game basically consists of passing the ball to the other side and force his opponent to take a high risk shot (something that he would never even try to do). Like Nadal, he's simply a ball basher and thus most of the times he's not aggresive at all, he just wants to force an error in his opponent. That's how he wins matches and that's why people don't like him.

no sexism intended of course.....

Thank you for the reply and no...I wasn't seeking to be offended (and wasn't)...merely curious.

You're quite right...and so are many 'haters'...he pushes...unbelievably so.

And yes...he would rarely take a high risk shot...he would rather force others to...very true.

Hmm...a ball basher...like Nadal?

Neither are 'ballbashers'...unless I've completely misunderstood the term...they're actually the opposite of ball-bashers. You defined it yourself - he takes few risks...he's 'safe'.

Never in a million years could Murray be labelled a 'ballbasher'...even by his haters.

But...you have a point. He does play safe and he rarely takes risks...and many hate him for that and I can see why. By default he is more or less a 'pusher'...I can accept that.

The point is, he is probably the best 'pusher' on the planet.

General tennis wisdom and coaching would have you believe a pusher can be beaten if you're good enough. The better the pusher though....the better a player you have to be.

Perhaps Murray has perfected pushing?

That said...I'm not sure how Murray is particularly 'girl-like in style at all'...but yes, he is the best 'pusher' in the world.

How far that will take him is up to the rest.

Bad Religion
08-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Del Potro is too limited and boring as tennis player

I prefer the variety of Murray 1000 times

tennishero
Thank you for the reply and no...I wasn't seeking to be offended (and wasn't)...merely curious.

And yes...he would rarely take a high risk shot...he would rather force others to...very true.

Neither are 'ballbashers'...unless I've completely misunderstood the term...they're actually the opposite of ball-bashers. You defined it yourself - he takes few risks...he's 'safe'.

Never in a million years could Murray be labelled a 'ballbasher'...even by his haters.

But...you have a point. He does play safe and he rarely takes risks...and many hate him for that and I can see why. By default he is more or less a 'pusher'...I can accept that.

General tennis wisdom and coaching would have you believe a pusher can be beaten if you're good enough. The better the pusher though....the better a player you have to be.

That said...I'm not sure how Murray is particularly 'girl-like in style at all'...but yes, he is the best 'pusher' in the world.

why...do you...type...everything like...this

Ivanatis
Murray

looked different 2 years ago though

Drusilla
08-16-2009, 06:47 PM
why...do you...type...everything like...this

It...is...just...me.

I'm sorry if it bothers you.

Be well.

FlameOn
08-16-2009, 07:02 PM
I prefer Murray. I don't mind either really though.

Andy's backhand DTL is love though, and JMDP doesn't really have a 'signature shot' like that.

moon language
08-16-2009, 08:12 PM
I like them both about the same.

simplet
08-16-2009, 08:27 PM
I despise Murray just a little bit less

Arkulari
08-16-2009, 08:38 PM
I prefer Juan Martin :yeah:

~*BGT*~
08-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Where is the "I'd rather jam bamboo shoots under my fingernails" option? I choose that one.

abraxas21
08-16-2009, 09:32 PM

yes, you're right. i confused the meaning of ball basher with ball pusher. thanks for the correction.