It's Time to Change ATP 52Weeks Ranking System! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

It's Time to Change ATP 52Weeks Ranking System!

DerSpiegel
08-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Roger Federer reached the two GS finals and one GS semi-final in 2008, but after 08WO he lost No.1,despite won three GS one year before.Same thing happened yesterday,Rafael Nadal got three GS titels in 2008-2009,just missed 09WO,he fell to No.3.
It's time to get a more healthier Ranking System,maybe 104 Weeks or 156 Weeks:confused:

This is Sparta
08-16-2009, 08:51 AM
The rankings are shit. Now we also have a slamless pusher ranked #2, so...

ballbasher101
08-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Roger Federer reached the two GS finals and one GS semi-final in 2008, but after 08WO he lost No.1,despite won three GS one year before.Same thing happened yesterday,Rafael Nadal got three GS titels in 2008-2009,just missed 09WO,he fell to No.3.
It's time to get a more healthier Ranking System,maybe 104 Weeks or 156 Weeks:confused:

Ok Einstein :rolleyes:. Muzza is the new number 2 so I say to you: Suck it up.

GlennMirnyi
08-16-2009, 08:56 AM
The OP should change his nickname to DasBullshit.

ballbasher101
08-16-2009, 09:00 AM
The OP should change his nickname to DasBullshit.

That is a good one :haha:

Saya-nee-sama
08-16-2009, 09:05 AM
no way does murray deserve being ranked higher than nadal right now.I don't know I don't feel it's right. being number is even worse. I hope he won't be number one before winning a slam. and yes ranking system sucks.

stzenit
08-16-2009, 10:16 AM
The system may suck but its just how it is, they(ATP) tried to split points so big players appear at Masters and tournament 500 events etc. So when its done this way you are bound to have a non Grand Slam winner at number two. If you want to constantly see the top players battling at events throughout the entire year this is the system which seems to be in place to do that in the best way possible. The only thing i would change is allow a proven injured player to not lose points in one event they miss out on. Hence when Nadal pulled out of Wimbledon he would still keep his points..or at least take away 25% of the points he won the year before. Murray is #2 congrats to him(I hope he never wins a slam :lol: )

Vaccine
08-16-2009, 10:22 AM
life is not fair and it will never be. changing the system won't help either

legolandbridge
08-16-2009, 10:37 AM
The rankings work fine imo. Nadal may have 6 Slams but the rankings are based on the past year, not a career. Having no points at Wimbledon and 4th Round defeat at RG, it makes sense that Nadal is only ranked third now. He's still very close to #2 thanks to AO and 1000 tournies.

I guess you're maybe suggesting having a point system based on 18 or 24 months, but that would create a lot of problems too, with rising players taking longer to make their way up.

Sapeod
08-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Yep. The rankings suck because Murray is no.2 :rolleyes: Typical BS from clowns on MTF. Do you not know that the rankings are earned through consistency, winning points over one year, not an entire career. Just grow up and suck it up :wavey:

Saya-nee-sama
08-16-2009, 10:45 AM
:rolleyes:it's not bitterness. This is what I call giving an opinion.is there something wrong with that ?

This is Sparta
08-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Yep. The rankings suck because Murray is no.1 :rolleyes: Typical BS from clowns on MTF. Do you not know that the rankings are earned through consistency, winning points over one year, not an entire career. Just grow up and suck it up :wavey:

Only in your gloryhunting dreams

Audacity
08-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Is this a joke...?

Goldenoldie
08-16-2009, 11:09 AM
If Nadal had beaten Del Potro and then beaten Roddick he would still be #2. He didn't, so he isn't.

The rankings aren't perfect, but they are the best we've got. If anybody could come up with a fair system to compensate for loss of points when injured, I'd be in favour, but the ATP can't deal in the realms of "Nadal would have definitely won Wimbledon if he'd played, so never mind #2, he'd still be #1".

Rather than looking back, Nadal's fans should be looking forward and hoping that he does better than Murray in Cincinnati and US Open, and regains the #2 spot.

David Kenzie
08-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Nadal didn't only miss Wimbledon, he also lost in the 4th round at RG... The current system is perfectly OK.

Sapeod
08-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Only in your gloryhunting dreams
Typo. You may have heard of it in your country.

:lol: calling me a gloryhunter? :retard: I'm anything but that. Wanting you're player to win. Is that gloryhunting? Wanting your player to become the best. Is it that gloryhunting? If it is then everybody is a gloryhunter. How many people do you know on here that don't want their favourite players to win a lot? You :retard:

Sapeod
08-16-2009, 11:18 AM
:rolleyes:it's not bitterness. This is what I call giving an opinion.is there something wrong with that ?
Thinking he doesn't deserve to be no.2? That's your opinion, but it's a load of BS. Murray fully deserves his ranking, otherwise he wouldn't have it. If you don't think this I'm sorry, but some people feel that way and they should just suck it up.

Sapeod
08-16-2009, 11:25 AM
The rankings are shit. Now we also have a slamless pusher ranked #2, so...
Would you be saying this is Nadal was no.2? Nuff said, you :retard:

This is Sparta
08-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Typo. You may have heard of it in your country.

:lol: calling me a gloryhunter? :retard: I'm anything but that. Wanting you're player to win. Is that gloryhunting? Wanting your player to become the best. Is it that gloryhunting? If it is then everybody is a gloryhunter. How many people do you know on here that don't want their favourite players to win a lot? You :retard:

What has my country to do with this?

Anyway, I only have to take a look at your signature to see you are a gloryhunter. Age 14? Not surprised

spaycehoppa
08-16-2009, 11:30 AM
We had this with Djokovic when he fell to 4. Funny how people want the system changing only when it doesn't suit them. The rankings aren't just about slams it's about consistency throughout the year.

Sapeod
08-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Typo is a Greek word.
Exactly. That solidates my point. He's probably heard of it :lol:

Sapeod
08-16-2009, 11:33 AM
What has my country to do with this?

Anyway, I only have to take a look at your signature to see you are a gloryhunter. Age 14? Not surprised
Right. I'm a gloryhunter because I support those players. Just look at them. Only five are in the top 20. Gloryhunting? Biggest load of horse crap I have heard in a while. You're pathetic. I support these players because I like them idiot :lol: Please, please stop posting, because the amount of fail you bring to this board really is mind boggling.

syc23
08-16-2009, 11:35 AM
I think the OP should take Nadal's cock out of his mouth whilst posting here. Just because someone else has reached no.2 (by merit) suddenly something
is wrong with the system? Isn't the point of competing (and winning) in other lesser tournaments is to build your ranking points so you can benefit from
a better draw in the slams?

This is Sparta
08-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Would you be saying this is Nadal was no.2? Nuff said, you :retard:

Nadal is a pusher, but not slamless. Try again.

MacTheKnife
08-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Ranking system is one of the best around. Unbiased, based totally on results. With 52 week moving total, you end up at the end of the year, with the most productive player in terms of results at the top. That's what it is designed to do.

Sapeod
Nadal is a pusher, but not slamless. Try again.
Points = ranking increase. Murray has gathered enough points to become no.2, regardless that Nadal has won a slam. So really Murray to get to no.2 even though Nadal has a slam shows just how good he is and how consistent he is. Care to try again?

Cloudygirl
Right. I'm a gloryhunter because I support those players. Just look at them. Only three are in the top 20. Gloryhunting? Biggest load of horse crap I have heard in a while. You're pathetic. I support these players because I like them idiot :lol: Please, please stop posting, because the amount of fail you bring to this board really is mind boggling.

Federer, Murray, Roddick, Davydenko - 4 ;)

Edit - sorry Soderling = 5

Sapeod
08-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Federer, Murray, Roddick, Davydenko - 4 ;)

Edit - sorry Soderling = 5
Oh yeah. Forgot about him. Sorry. 4. It's clearly not golryhunting though.

EDIT: Goddamn it. 5 then. Still not gloryhunting.

Action Jackson
08-16-2009, 11:42 AM
http://airodig.com/images/bullshit.jpg

stebs
08-16-2009, 12:09 PM
The system is fine. It's bad luck for Nadal that he was injured and missed out on one of the grand slams, that's all.

Bobby
08-16-2009, 04:03 PM
The system is just fine. It's not Murray's fault that he is a consistent player and actually cares enough to give his best in all the tournaments he plays.

Sunset of Age
08-16-2009, 09:21 PM
The system is just fine. It's not Murray's fault that he is a consistent player and actually cares enough to give his best in all the tournaments he plays.

Yep.
I well remember the whinage not that long ago about this SAME system from all sides of the fence. When Fed stayed #1 for such a long time, the Rafa fans/tards whined. When Rafa finally managed to get that #1 spot (deservedly so), so did some Fed fans/tards. And right now it's Mr. Murray who gets the shtick?

Deal with it folks. The guy who ranks up the majority of points is the one who deserves it, nothing more, nothing less.

Winston's Human
08-16-2009, 09:30 PM

I believe that the ATP used to use a 104-week ranking system. Under that system, Guillermo Vilas won both the 1977 French Open and the 1977 US Open (as well as a number of other tournaments that year), but did not reach #1 in the rankings.

IMO, the rolling 52-week system seems the fairest way to rank the players.

Modetopia
08-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Simon may like it.:p

FedFan_2007
08-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Another thread full of failure. Mods - you know what to do.

FedFan_2007
08-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Yep.
I well remember the whinage not that long ago about this SAME system from all sides of the fence. When Fed stayed #1 for such a long time, the Rafa fans/tards whined. When Rafa finally managed to get that #1 spot (deservedly so), so did some Fed fans/tards. And right now it's Mr. Murray who gets the shtick?

Deal with it folks. The guy who ranks up the majority of points is the one who deserves it, nothing more, nothing less.

This. :worship: Why can't simple common sense prevail about 'tardism?

Sunset of Age
08-16-2009, 11:29 PM
This. :worship: Why can't simple common sense prevail about 'tardism?

Guess who's talking. :p

straitup
08-17-2009, 12:29 AM
A 156-week system :eek: Then there would be some players in the top 100 who simply got there because they had a few good months...and then didn't play for the other 30 months or so.