Who's got the best smash in the game? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who's got the best smash in the game?

simplet
08-15-2009, 04:40 PM
I was watching the Tsonga-Federer match yesterday and my commentators were lauding Tsonga's smatch, wondering if it was the best in the business. It made me think that I don't think I've ever seen him miss one, or even someone getting one of his smashes back in play in a dangerous way. He's got the athletic Sampras smash coming forward, the one where you jump backward to get a lob, the put-away smash... He manages to jump at the right time and stay in the air a long time, and almost always places it right. So all in all I think Tsonga's is the best.

what's your opinion? I did a search and I don't think we already have a thread for best smash, feel free to ridicule and shun me if I'm wrong about that.

AtoChansu
08-15-2009, 04:41 PM
He missed one against Federer yesterday I think

Julio
Federer and Roddick.

Burrow
Djokovic

DorianGray7
08-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Roddick

Tennisman82
08-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Roddick & Federer. They never miss.

Sampras easily had the best overhead smash in history. Not only was it effective 99% of the time, it was the most aesthetically pleasing because of the leap!

Tennisman82.

GlennMirnyi
08-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Berrer.

NID.

Action Jackson
08-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Berrer.

Iván
08-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Safin

JimmyV
08-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Why is Berrer not on this poll.

Har-Tru
08-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Robredo.

When was the last time you saw him miss a smash?

Black Adam
08-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Roddick and Federer. Roddick's is powerful and precise whilst Federer's is just effortless. They also rarely miss but i have seen them have bad days too. I also liked Sampras' slam dunk for the gracefulness.

Chiakifug
08-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Roddick & Federer. They never miss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-lGygUMjeg

Orbis
08-15-2009, 05:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-lGygUMjeg

There's no shame in missing against the magician :lol:

Nidhogg
08-15-2009, 05:40 PM
It's definetely not Murray. I've seen him let the ball drop to hit a regular groundstroke rather than a smash, and so lose the initiative as well as the point, countless times.

Davydenko should be listed here. He, Tsonga and Federer rank high in this category.

rocketassist
08-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Michael Berrer by a mile.

Nidhogg
08-15-2009, 05:52 PM
mimWIaPLQVU

Put a little extra on the next one, will ya.

JMG
08-15-2009, 05:59 PM
u7MQQ34Z1TU

Serenidad
08-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Ginepri.

habibko
08-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Roddick and Federer. Roddick's is powerful and precise whilst Federer's is just effortless. They also rarely miss but i have seen them have bad days too. I also liked Sampras' slam dunk for the gracefulness.

this.

philosophicalarf
08-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Isner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7MQQ34Z1TU

Saya-nee-sama
08-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Fed and Arod.
Sampras had the best ever.

PiggyGotRoasted
08-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Pete Sampras
He hasnt missed a smash in a grand slam for atleast 7 years

Burrow
08-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Karlovic

Henry Chinaski
08-15-2009, 06:47 PM
didn't Tsonga make a complete balls of one when he had match point against Simon in Rome last year?

my memory is a little hazy.

Mario Sharapov
08-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Roddick of course.

tennishero
08-15-2009, 06:52 PM
probably tsonga

Black Adam
08-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Monfils has some acrobatic ones:

Watch at 30 seconds:
NoKxHBW59q0

Watch at 1:10
1Fba5tve-EI&feature=related

TMJordan
08-18-2009, 12:23 AM
Tsonga followed closley by Berrer.

McAlistar
08-18-2009, 12:25 AM
Roddick for sure

08-18-2009, 12:49 AM
Xavier Malisse

hilluis
08-18-2009, 12:52 AM
Roddick and Safin.

leng jai
08-18-2009, 01:23 AM
Why is Berrer not on this poll.

Berrer trandscends polls.

Laba
08-18-2009, 03:11 AM
Roddick, I think. Only second to Sampras.

I've heard commentators talk about Nadal's being quite solid and reliable in the past but I recall his being rather ineffective in Montreal upon returning.

Henry Chinaski
08-18-2009, 03:15 AM
As per my earlier post....Tsonga fail:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wo4bZTZci5o&hl=en&fs=1&start=370"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wo4bZTZci5o&hl=en&fs=1&&start=370" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

bluefork
08-18-2009, 03:59 AM
At the risk of possibly being laughed at, I want to mention Gasquet. He is (or was) very good at tough overheads where he's moving backwards. I can't remember him missing too many.

Also, a lot of the people in the poll have competent overheads, but they aren't anything special. Anybody should be able to put away a relatively short, defensive lob. The impressive ones are those who can move back quickly to hit overheads off of good lobs. So of the players that are being most often mentioned here, I think Federer has one of the better overheads, but I don't know that Roddick exceeds expectation in this category.

~*BGT*~
08-18-2009, 04:12 AM
Roddick and other: Gasquet. He never misses and makes amazing smashes, even running backwards and hitting it with no bounce.

~*BGT*~
08-18-2009, 04:20 AM
At the risk of possibly being laughed at, I want to mention Gasquet. He is (or was) very good at tough overheads where he's moving backwards. I can't remember him missing too many.

I posted before I saw these, but obviously, I agree. :lol:

Also, a lot of the people in the poll have competent overheads, but they aren't anything special. Anybody should be able to put away a relatively short, defensive lob. The impressive ones are those who can move back quickly to hit overheads off of good lobs. So of the players that are being most often mentioned here, I think Federer has one of the better overheads, but I don't know that Roddick exceeds expectation in this category.

I guess you didn't see this ;) :p

mimWIaPLQVU

Henry Chinaski
08-18-2009, 04:58 PM

good point. Stepanek is one of the best in the game in this regard

Nidhogg
08-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Credit where credit is due. Gasquet has a good smash, and is confident in the forecourt. In his match against Gonzo at the AO this year he attacked the net at will with good success, even though he lost.

bluefork
08-18-2009, 05:26 PM
I posted before I saw these, but obviously, I agree. :lol:

I guess you didn't see this ;) :p

mimWIaPLQVU

It's a fast overhead, sure. But were those particularly difficult shots to make? Probably not. Not only that, but Federer got the first one back, and almost got a racquet on the second one because they weren't placed especially well. Watch some of Federer's baseline overheads and notice how he puts spin on them, which allows him to control the placement. He rarely misses them, and they're almost always winners. Haas also has a good baseline smash, and Andre Agassi, towards the end of his career, seemed to master that shot as well.

Another way to look at this question: which players are the hardest to successfully lob? Some players (even those who aren't especially tall like Karlovic) are very difficult to get a lob over because they move well. I would say Federer is one of those. I'm not sure I wouldn put Roddick in the same category. :shrug:

straitup
08-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Roddick, I think. Only second to Sampras.

I've heard commentators talk about Nadal's being quite solid and reliable in the past but I recall his being rather ineffective in Montreal upon returning.

Agassi had a good smash too didn't he?

Voo de Mar
08-18-2009, 05:53 PM
For me Tsonga has the best smash at the moment, previously Agassi.

MrChopin
08-18-2009, 05:58 PM
I think that Fed's BH smash puts him at #1 though his FH smashes are often "safer" than others.

bluefork
08-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Agassi had a good smash too didn't he?

Agassi's, especially from the baseline, was definitely one of the most effective overheads, although like most of his game, it was a bit mechanical.

Voo de Mar
08-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Agassi was extremely confident playing balls over his head, especially from the baseline, even standing back to an opponent ;)

d2XijH0ziAY

The Freak
08-18-2009, 07:57 PM
Blake has an amazing overhead, he always makes them and places them well.

HattonWBA
08-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Tsonga and Roddick

TennisMindCamp
08-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Good ol' A-Rod!:worship:

oliverbwfc
08-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Federer :worship:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X4tERFsOWg&feature=channel_page

leng jai
08-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Has Berrer been mentioned yet?

duong
08-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Yes, Roddick, Federer and Tsonga.
Gasquet, Davydenko and Blake also rarely miss, even if they're handicapped by their size.

As for Sampras's smash, does anybody remember about Noah's ?
If you remember it, do you really think it was less good than Sampras's ?

The dunk smash, Noah was used to doing it far before Sampras, quite often, and generally speaking, his smash was great.

Haelfix
08-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Tsonga, Safin, Berrer, Blake, Federer, Davydenko and a few others come to mind. Roddick doesn't backpedal well enough and i've seen him lobbed badly before on balls that were gettable.

Federer, Monfils and Tsonga's jump smash are pretty good and they all have pretty serious hops. But i've seen Federer shank some very easy overheads in pressure situations before (usually vs Nadal)

Still, Sampras was and always will be the master of this shot. Not only did he never miss, he put so much on it that it was effectively unreturnable. People like Federer and Agassi slice some of their smashes when they're in hard to hit positions (which makes the shot returnable in principle), Sampras almost never did.

Burrow
08-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Tsonga, Safin, Berrer, Blake, Federer, Davydenko and a few others come to mind. Roddick doesn't backpedal well enough and i've seen him lobbed badly before on balls that were gettable.

Federer, Monfils and Tsonga's jump smash are pretty good and they all have pretty serious hops. But i've seen Federer shank some very easy overheads in pressure situations before (usually vs Nadal)

Still, Sampras was and always will be the master of this shot. Not only did he never miss, he put so much on it that it was effectively unreturnable. People like Federer and Agassi slice some of their smashes when they're in hard to hit positions (which makes the shot returnable in principle), Sampras almost never did.

You're actually serious about Berrer aren't you?

The people who have mentioned him in this thread are actually taking the piss. (I think you've only added him to that list cause others have said him)

Burrow
08-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Federer :worship:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X4tERFsOWg&feature=channel_page

That wasn't actually that hard, Korolev sat it up for him nicely with basically no power.

Truc
08-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Yes, Roddick, Federer and Tsonga.
Gasquet, Davydenko and Blake also rarely miss, even if they're handicapped by their size.Gasquet and Blake are as tall as Fed and only a few cm shorter than Roddick and Tsonga.

bluefork
08-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Gasquet and Blake are as tall as Fed and only a few cm shorter than Roddick and Tsonga.

Gasquet's ATP bio has him at 6'1" (185cm), but when you see him standing next to other 6"1' players, he definitely looks shorter.

Burrow
08-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Gasquet is a solid 6'.

http://www.cbssports.com/tennis/players/playerpage/385454

This page has him as 5'11'' but he's not as short as that.

oliverbwfc
08-19-2009, 03:31 PM
That wasn't actually that hard

Of course dear :lol:

Burrow
08-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Tell me how it is so hard then?

The Korolev smash was embarrassing, he could have smacked that into the stands but he went for the typical cross court with no power which Federer read, the rest was easy.

Sofonda Cox
08-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Xristos

Dini
08-19-2009, 03:37 PM
I think this is a better example.

2Hp-EArV6s8

It's just one point, but it's still good.

stebs
08-19-2009, 03:40 PM
That wasn't actually that hard, Korolev sat it up for him nicely with basically no power.

The shot certainly doesn't make Federer the best smasher in the game but it is a very tough shot. Timing a ball correctly whilst moving sideways and in the air requires serious skill.

stebs
08-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Best smasher? I'm not sure. Everyone misses now and then but with a bit of work (not that I'm going to do it) one could make a pretty good analysis putting smashes into the following groups:

1. Winner 2. Returnable 3. Miss

Hard to say who would come out on top of those statistics. Could easily be someone nobody mentioned, there are a lot of players out there who I watch regularly but I couldn't tell you anything about their smash because these days players don't have to hit a lot of them.

oliverbwfc
08-19-2009, 03:45 PM
kAg_UuW1duo

Perhaps this?

FedFan
08-19-2009, 03:50 PM
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4730/scup2004slamdunkko9.jpg (http://img6.imageshack.us/i/scup2004slamdunkko9.jpg/)

Roger has one of the better smash.

Dini
08-19-2009, 03:52 PM
This.

TEQHX66zX38

:bowdown:

Burrow
08-19-2009, 03:56 PM
The shot certainly doesn't make Federer the best smasher in the game but it is a very tough shot. Timing a ball correctly whilst moving sideways and in the air requires serious skill.

I've seen him hit better, the shot he played against Roddick in Basel 03 was better.

Still though, it's hardly an orthodox smash, you're not going to need to hit that shot very often, so I wouldn't put him at the top of the list because he's the best at this particular shot. They aren't even like smashes, they are basically overhead passing shots.

stebs
08-19-2009, 04:02 PM
I've seen him hit better, the shot he played against Roddick in Basel 03 was better.
Yep. But to say that once Federer read the smash the "rest was easy" simply isn't true. It's a really tough passing shot.

Still though, it's hardly an orthodox smash, you're not going to need to hit that shot very often, so I wouldn't put him at the top of the list because he's the best at this particular shot. They aren't even like smashes, they are basically overhead passing shots.
Yes. That's what I said in the post you quoted. The whole technique behind the shots is different. The thing that allows Federer to make the overhead passes is slice. A good smash can be hit with slice but it is far from neccesary. Tsonga hits a beast of a smash for sure but he isn't the best because he misses to many trying to be a showman.

bluefork
08-19-2009, 04:05 PM

I remember when Federer hit that shot I was watching ESPN2 and Marat Safin was in the studio being interviewed. He was going to play Federer in the next round, and he was watching the match on the monitor. When Federer hit that overhead, Safin just said something like, "Wow. That's Federer." Maybe you aren't impressed much by Fed's shot, but your favorite player was. ;)

Burrow
08-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Nah, I think what I said is spot on. Let's remember that he literally has the whole open court to hit into. The momentum from Korolev's movement to his left as he gets into position to strike the ball has taken him outside the net post. I think a lot of players could hit that smash if they got into position. On the other hand, I don't think the Roddick pass was easy. These two instances should not be compared in quality.

Burrow
08-19-2009, 04:09 PM
I remember when Federer hit that shot I was watching ESPN2 and Marat Safin was in the studio being interviewed. He was going to play Federer in the next round, and he was watching the match on the monitor. When Federer hit that overhead, Safin just said something like, "Wow. That's Federer." Maybe you aren't impressed much by Fed's shot, but your favorite player was. ;)

I don't care what Safin says, if you actually study the situation, especially in slow motion, you can see that the actual striking of the ball in not that difficult for a player of Federer's ability.

Dini
08-19-2009, 04:12 PM
I think that Korolev example is the worst one- I've seen Fed hit about 5 better return smashes than that one.