WWW: Montreal SF - Tsonga vs Murray [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

WWW: Montreal SF - Tsonga vs Murray

Guga_fan
08-14-2009, 09:31 PM
If Tsonga plays like he did in the first set today he has a chance, if he plays like he did in the rest of the match Murray will destroy him.

Clydey
08-14-2009, 09:31 PM
I think Tsonga will get murdered if he plays like that tomorrow. Astounded that he won with such slack play at times.

Discuss.

Clydey
08-14-2009, 09:33 PM
I don't even think the first set will be good enough. Murray returns too well. He won't get such an easy time on serve.

Guga_fan
08-14-2009, 09:35 PM
I don't even think the first set will be good enough. Murray returns too well. He won't get such an easy time on serve.
But if Murray has to play with the second serve often Tsonga has a good chance, and Murray's return this week is not as good as it normally is IMO.

richie21
08-14-2009, 09:38 PM

Yeah he returned Tsonga's serve particularly well in their last encounter,didn't he?:o

Certinfy
08-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Murray in 3... Tho i love both and i wish both of them the best and hopefully who ever wins will win the final. :)

Horatio Caine
I'm not sure if I'm a little more afraid that Muzza is playing Tsonga. Will definitely need to serve better otherwise Jo will tee off on the 2nd serves. Otherwise, unless Jo can hit clean winners all day, we all know who should be winning the majority of the rallies.

Just hope to God Muzza has remembered why he failed against Roddick in the Wimbledon SF...must get the right balance of defence and offence against Tsonga. Too much defence, and he'll be chasing missiles.

richie21
I think Tsonga will get murdered if he plays like that tomorrow. Astounded that he won with such slack play at times.

Discuss.

Yeah but if Tsonga plays like he played in Paris or AO last year than it's bye bye Murray :wavey:

Pfloyd
08-14-2009, 09:41 PM
I think Tsonga has a very good chance here.

He beat Simon and Fed and played a great 1st set.

It's hard to know what would have happened if Tsonga had not fallen as hard as he did.

But "what ifs" aren't that useful.

Tsonga in 2 tight sets.

rubbERR
08-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Murray two easy sets....Tsonga is not that good

born_on_clay
08-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Murray 6:3 6:4

born_on_clay
08-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Murray in straight

Tsonganator
08-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Tsonga in 2, Tsonga eats pushers like Murray for breakfast. :devil:

rubbERR
08-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Haha...Tsonga fanboys really believing that Tsonga has a chance, guy has been so inconsistent with his results so he doesnt deserve to be Final in Masterseries level.

Nidhogg
08-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Jo will need his first serve working if he is to stand any chance at all. I hope he can have a good day and force Murray to up his game a couple of notches. We could be in for a lot of crazy points.

rofe
08-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Murray should win this one easily.

MacTheKnife
08-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Hand Murray the title and be done with it..:lol:

chenx15
08-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Murray definitely. that match against the mighty fed was just stupid

betowiec
08-14-2009, 09:55 PM
scottsman

TMJordan
08-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Lets just say it will be another day at the office for the Tradesman.

TheWall
Murray in two, 6-2 6-3, with 10 winners.

Andi-M
If tsonga comes out all guns ablazing he can def trouble Murray as we know AO 2008. Murray is a better player now than he was back then, his 1st serve is so much better! He is too consistant to lose to Tsonga right now I would have thought, but if Tsonga comes out HOT than it will be a good match, with either winning in 3.

But i'll go for Murray in 2.

Serenidad
08-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Tradesman in three. He will bring a boning knife and a piece of rope.

LleytonMonfils
08-14-2009, 10:06 PM
It is so hard to gauge which Tsonga will show up. If he's smacking his forehand around with mad pace and hitting lines, Murray's going to have to work for it. I'm going with Tsonga in 3. After today's escape he is playing with house money. Feeling that he'll come in relaxed.

richie21
08-14-2009, 10:09 PM
One thing is sure,he'll have to serve better than today in order to beat Murray.

Corey Feldman
08-14-2009, 10:33 PM
this is it, been waiting for this moment for 18 months

time for Tsonga to see someone who does play hard from 1st ball to last

DrJules
08-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Murray 2 sets.

He was going to win against Federer or Tsonga and is the form player.

Clydey
08-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Yeah he returned Tsonga's serve particularly well in their last encounter,didn't he?:o

So because Tsonga beat Murray once in early 2008 (winning fewer points than Murray), Murray's return isn't good enough? Great logic.

richie21
08-14-2009, 10:59 PM
So because Tsonga beat Murray once in early 2008 (winning fewer points than Murray), Murray's return isn't good enough? Great logic.

No but judging by your previous post,it's almost a given Murray will easily return Tsonga's serve even though that wasn't the case the last time they played each other(and it's not like Murray has improved his return of serve since then)

oranges
08-14-2009, 11:10 PM

Return alone won't win him the match.

It was crucial to emphasize "winning fewer points" :lol: Such an important piece of info :p

I'm curious what kinds of explanations you'll come up with if he loses, there's always one.

Clydey
08-14-2009, 11:11 PM
No but judging by your previous post,it's almost a given Murray will easily return Tsonga's serve even though that wasn't the case the last time they played each other(and it's not like Murray has improved his return of serve since then)

Murray has improved his return since then. He has gradually improved each year. He's currently the best returner in the world. Also, Tsonga isn't playing nearly as well as he was then, while Murray is playing much, much better. It's not a given. I said that Tsonga would get murdered if he played like he did for much of today. He can't afford to be that generous.

Clydey
08-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Return alone won't win him the match.

It was crucial to emphasize "winning fewer points" :lol: Such an important piece of info :p

I'm curious what kinds of explanations you'll come up with if he loses, there's always one.

The point I was making was that the loss had nothing to do with Murray's return. He won plenty of points, so to say that his return let him down is false. Tsonga won because he played better. It wasn't a problem on Murray's end. That is precisely the opposite of making excuses.

Not that there's any point in having a discussion with you. You're a child who pesters people with abusive messages when they disagree with you.

richie21
08-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Murray has improved his return since then. He has gradually improved each year. He's currently the best returner in the world. Also, Tsonga isn't playing nearly as well as he was then, while Murray is playing much, much better. It's not a given. I said that Tsonga would get murdered if he played like he did for much of today. He can't afford to be that generous.

I stopped reading there.
His return of serve is as good as it was in previous years(he was already one of the best if not the best returner in the world in previous years).

oranges
08-14-2009, 11:18 PM
The point I was making was that the loss had nothing to do with Murray's return. He won plenty of points, so to say that his return let him down is false. Tsonga won because he played better. It wasn't a problem on Murray's end. That is precisely the opposite of making excuses.

Not that there's any point in having a discussion with you. You're a child who pesters people with abusive messages when they disagree with you.

I pester people with abusive messages when they disagree with me? :lol: You're making excuse up there again, BTW.

Clydey
08-14-2009, 11:19 PM
I stopped reading there.
His return of serve is as good as it was in previous years(he was already one of the best if not the best returner in the world in previous years).

He was one of the best. In fact, he has been since 2006 (his first full year). However, he is currently the best. He is way up on last year. He wasn't in the top 10 on BP conversions last year. This year, he is first or second in every category. Davydenko literally just replaced him as the best returner of first serves after he played two clay court tournaments.

Clydey
08-14-2009, 11:20 PM
I pester people with abusive messages when they disagree with me? :lol: You're making excuse up there again, BTW.

No, I'm not. You also bad rep people who disagree with you. That's how stunningly immature you are. You actually take the time to bad rep people.

richie21
08-14-2009, 11:24 PM
He was one of the best. In fact, he has been since 2006 (his first full year). However, he is currently the best. He is way up on last year. He wasn't in the top 10 on BP conversions last year. This year, he is first or second in every category. Davydenko literally just replaced him as the best returner of first serves after he played two clay court tournaments.

You can the best returner in the world and not be great at converting BPs(it's called "lack of mental strenght")
A more telling stat would be to know what was his ranking in term of number of BPs.

Clydey
08-14-2009, 11:28 PM
You can the best returner in the world and not be great at converting BPs(it's called "lack of mental strenght")
A more telling stat would be to know what was his ranking in term of number of BPs.

Murray isn't a mental midget, though. As I said, he is way up on return stats this year. 2008 was surprsingly poor compared to 2006, when he was inexplicably number 3 on 3 of the 4 stats. This year, he is number 1 or 2 on all of them including BP conversion. Until this year, he has never been top 10 in that stat.

Can't believe I got drawn into an argument. Trying to watch the fucking tennis.

richie21
08-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Murray isn't a mental midget, though. As I said, he is way up on return stats this year. 2008 was surprsingly poor compared to 2006, when he was inexplicably number 3 on 3 of the 4 stats. This year, he is number 1 or 2 on all of them including BP conversion. Until this year, he has never been top 10 in that stat.

Can't believe I got drawn into an argument. Trying to watch the fucking tennis.

But that's mostly because he has widely improved his mental strenght,not necessarly because he has improved his return game.

Clydey
08-14-2009, 11:34 PM
But that's mostly because he has widely improved his mental strenght,not necessarly because he has improved his return game.

Actually, he has changed his return game. He altered during the USO semi with Rafa and has stuck with it ever since. He used to return the first serve from much closer to the baseline. It's a small change, but it is a change.

Arkulari
08-14-2009, 11:38 PM
would love for Tsonga to win this, but Montreal belongs to Muzza now, so the Tradesman on 2 or 3 :o

oranges
08-14-2009, 11:39 PM
No, I'm not. You also bad rep people who disagree with you. That's how stunningly immature you are. You actually take the time to bad rep people.

:haha: If it helps you to sleep better believing it, so be it. I must have given you dozens of bad reps already given that I struggle to remember agreeing to anything you ever had to say. Yet, I seem to remember one for a particular piece of drivel :lol:

Gosh Jo, get in the groove for tomorrow, I really want to see the excuses

guga2120
08-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Murray, in 2. The Scotsman, is taking this title.

Clydey
08-14-2009, 11:45 PM
:haha: If it helps you to sleep better believing it, so be it. I must have given you dozens of bad reps already given that I struggle to remember agreeing to anything you ever had to say. Yet, I seem to remember one for a particular piece of drivel :lol:

Gosh Jo, get in the groove for tomorrow, I really want to see the excuses

Ancic is a better player than Murray, right? Still belongs in the top 5? :lol:

I remember last time we had that discussion and you bet me Ancic would beat Murray next time they played. Murray beat him something like 6-1, 6-1 :lol:

RagingLamb
08-15-2009, 03:31 AM
Murray should take this in 2 (poll added)

ballbasher101
08-15-2009, 03:38 AM
I expect Muzza to take this one. Tsonga is still a very dangerous opponent so Muzza has to be alert all match.

Argenbrit
08-15-2009, 05:27 AM
Murray in 3.

whattheheck
08-15-2009, 05:56 AM
Hoping for Tsonga

safinafan
08-15-2009, 06:07 AM
tsonga in 2 sets, bye murray!:dance:

Calidreth
08-15-2009, 06:19 AM
Tsonga will push him to 3, but Murray will take it.

Arkulari
08-15-2009, 06:23 AM
this title belongs to Muzza, so the Tradesman in straights :sad:

tennisace28
08-15-2009, 07:04 AM
come on jwt!! bring your AO 2008 game tomorrow and **** the scott

roberthenman
08-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Andy 2

tea
08-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Murray to win to take the well deserved no.2 rankings spot. Go champ!:D

kooties
08-15-2009, 07:17 AM
If Jo's serve is on tomorrow, he has a chance to take it in 3.

Cmon Jo! Safeguard your bercy high-watermark

Basic Boy
08-15-2009, 08:28 AM
Tsonga still underrated, he will destroy Murray.

Titi
08-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Have to laugh at anybody backing Tsonga...:confused:

Doesn't have a chance.Murray is playing too well right now, too many ifs and buts with Tsonga.Fact is he rarely produces all these things consistently.Murray is too consistent and will frustrate him.

Straight sets win Murray, with maybe one tight set.

richie21
08-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Tsonganator is a pusher destroyer(as Simon can testify) so i'd say Tsonga in three.

McAlistar
08-15-2009, 09:55 AM
To be honest im delighted with this draw, i think Murray might hammer him, he just needs to hit his backhand flat a bit more like against Ferrero. 6-3 6-0 Murray.

murray_2k8
08-15-2009, 10:05 AM
I think once again Murray will drop the least total games in progressing to the next round. Murray in 2: 6-4 7-6

Tennisman82
08-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Murray in 3. Murray is just too consistent for a guy like Tsonga, though I've barely seen any of the tennis this week so not sure on the respective players’ forms! But will stick with Murray.

Tennisman82.

HattonWBA
08-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Comon Muzza, take him out in 2 sets

federersforehand
08-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Murray is on fire at the moment, probably the best player on tour and my favourite for the US open. He hasnt dropped a set yet, and i expect him to continue this trend, Murray 6-3 6-4. His return game at the moment and general rallying can be breath taking at the moment.

chenx15
08-15-2009, 12:48 PM
Murray in two easy sets. If tsonga had a difficult time with the mighty fed in a tms and murray is way better during tms then it's a definite murray

angry1
08-15-2009, 01:33 PM

Well he broke Tsonga more often than Tsonga broke him.Repeat that and I doubt he'll lose again.Pathetic lack of focus when serving cost him not being overpowered.

It will be a horrendous wasted chance if Murray loses to someone in the bottom 10% of returners on tour(55th of 60)in a big match.Murray is overdue a dreadful loss in a hard court MS,but this shouldn't be it.Any time he plays someone I consider overrated on here he loses though,so I'll wimp out and not actually predict a win.

abraxas21
08-15-2009, 05:09 PM
hopefully tsonga will save tennis and send murray packing but alas it's unlikely to happen

Chiakifug
08-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Please win for tennis Jo.

Burrow
08-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Would love Tsonga to knock this arsebandit out.

angry1
08-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Well he broke Tsonga more often than Tsonga broke him.Repeat that and I doubt he'll lose again.Pathetic lack of focus when serving cost him not being overpowered.

It will be a horrendous wasted chance if Murray loses to someone in the bottom 10% of returners on tour(55th of 60)in a big match.Murray is overdue a dreadful loss in a hard court MS,but this shouldn't be it.Any time he plays someone I consider overrated on here he loses though,so I'll wimp out and not actually predict a win.

When I guarantee a win you should all listen.:)

What a miserable match to watch though.Positive and inept loses to negative and slightly less inept.