Montreal Qtr Final: A. Murray beats N. Davydenko 6-2, 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Montreal Qtr Final: A. Murray beats N. Davydenko 6-2, 6-4

DrJules
08-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Murray kept the ball in court long enough for Davydenko to hit an unforced error. The diet of pace and spin variations supplied by Murray with the occasional attacking burst completely confused Davydenko who hit into the net and over the baseline. A clear case of "Winning Ugly" by Murray.

As they say it is the winning that counts.

whattheheck
08-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Never in doubt.

Gaudio2004
Davydenko ran out of ideas - he had no idea how to beat Murray.

rubbERR
Davydenko is horrible player :lol:

Arkulari
08-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Congrats Muzza on yet another Masters title! :yeah:
there's no one left in the draw that can beat him in this form

TMJordan
Flashes of brilliance from Murray but still not even close to his best, it goes to show he can win so easily without playing at the top of his game. He will be at the top of his game against Federer.

Tradesman like.

GlennMirnyi
:zzz:

Boring match - Davydenko is sooo limited. Can't change his game, can't go to the net, can't slice. Too easy for Murray.

rocketassist
Murray QF? :lol:

It followed the same pattern of previous meetings... Murray keeps it low and out of the PMK's strike zone, and whoever won the early exchange cantered away with it.

PMK didn't seem up for the fight after set one.

whattheheck
08-14-2009, 06:36 PM
Andy played well, but needs to improve some more.

Clydey
Strange match. Both seemed terrified of each other. They clearly hate each others' games. Davydenko for some reason wasn't dealing with the slice, which Murray was completely abusing. Just a bad day at the office for Davy. Not much can be read into this match. Solid from Andy. No more, no less.

GHETTOTENNIS
Davydenko is just pathetic

Leo
08-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Pathetic display, really, by Davydenko. He started well in the first three games and challenged Murray on serve. I thought it was a sign that Murray was playing too passively and that Davydenko could hit right through him in straight sets.

But no. Davydenko's game went badly off. He let himself get frustrated. So Murray's strategy did pay off. I can't think of any clean winners from Murray... how many winners did he have? Any off the ground? There was that one backhand pass winner late in the second, but otherwise not many... Jesus. Didn't need them.

I wanted Nikolay to win, but in the end this is a better result because we all know the Russian can't take a set off Federer when he gets the chance. Murray vs. Fed should be good stuff!

Gaudio2004
Murray QF? :lol:

It followed the same pattern of previous meetings... Murray keeps it low and out of the PMK's strike zone, and whoever won the early exchange cantered away with it.

PMK didn't seem up for the fight after set one.

Murray winning by playing ugly, he just made Davydenko hit a mental block - like he was hitting against a wall, one of the reasons why Murray is a good player.

timafi
other than a few rare points from either players all Murray did was to keep the damn ball in play long enough for Davydonkey to hit errors
what a boring ass match:mad:

Guga_fan
Poor performance by Davydenko, I expected much more of this match, but considering his performance against Gonzalez yesterday I shouldn't have expected that much.

Puschkin
36 UEs by Davydenko. :awww:

Arkulari
08-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Tsonga or Federer will be the next victim of the Tradesman :sad:

simplet
erk Murray. I hate that guy, he has just forgot how to lose. You really can't tell watching him WHY he's crushing everyone left and right, he just is.

HeretiC
You can see why this two doesn't enjoy much playing against each-other, they are canceling each other strengths. Murray variation of shots and pace messes up Denko's footwork and he can't get into shot-making rhythm, but when he gets in the groove, even Andy's best defense retrieving ain't enough to save him. Today, Murray was a bit more calm and focused and played better on big points. It is probably better this way, Federer-Murray should be much more interesting than Federer-Davydenko.

samanosuke
08-14-2009, 06:39 PM
What a sad period for tennis , someone like murray would be number 2 and soon number one !! Oh dear Good would did you do from this beautiful game ...:sad::sad:

habibko
08-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Davydenko an UE machine today, Murray just kept the ball in play and stayed solid and waited for the error for the most part, pathetic from Davy :sad:

btw what's that spin-like thingy Murray did when Davy's ball went out on MP? it looked strange and first time I see him do that, did he do that on purpose?

rubbERR
08-14-2009, 06:40 PM
erk Murray. I hate that guy, he has just forgot how to lose. You really can't tell watching him WHY he's crushing everyone left and right, he just is.

before this tournament he was LOSING left and right :lol:

Corey Feldman
08-14-2009, 06:41 PM
what a HC animal this young Scotsman :D

just took a good Davy to school

Gl v Tsonga tomorrow son

GlennMirnyi
Strange match. Both seemed terrified of each other. They clearly hate each others' games. Davydenko for some reason wasn't dealing with the slice, which Murray was completely abusing. Just a bad day at the office for Davy. Not much can be read into this match. Solid from Andy. No more, no less.

For some reason? Davydenko abhors slice.

What a sad period for tennis , someone like murray would be number 2 and soon number one !! Oh dear Good would did you do from this beautiful game ...:sad::sad:

:lol: funny but true.

Clydey
Davydenko an UE machine today, Murray just kept the ball in play and stayed solid and waited for the error for the most part, pathetic from Davy :sad:

btw what's that spin-like thingy Murray did when Davy's ball went out on MP? it looked strange and first time I see him do that, did he do that on purpose?

He did it after he beat Chardy, too. I think it was for his team. They play games and the loser has to do a forfeit. I think that might be why he did it.

Nidhogg
08-14-2009, 06:42 PM
That's a tame way for Davy to end his winning streak. It was partially due to Murray just waiting for him to selfdestruct, but he also simply had one of those days where he came out never being able to find his rhythm and range. The first set was poor from both.

I have a hard time not seeing Murray winning this event now.

Gaudio2004

I don't think so Clydey, a lot of people were predicting for Davydenko to challenge Murray for this match, I'm certainly not a fan of Murray - but he beat Davydenko playing no-where near his best.

Will probably beat Federer by playing like this (just pushing the ball back deep).

tangerine_dream
Another Cash for Clunkers winner.

Johnny Ice
worst match I have ever seen aside from that one backhand pass

Federer better lose to Tsonga if he doesn't want to have his confidence destroyed heading into Cincinnati and the Open

Clydey

He only has about 7 losses for the whole year.

star_of_dusk
08-14-2009, 06:43 PM
eh, davydenko didn't want to play federer. he got one look early on in the match of roger staring out of that window and was like no thank you and decided to lose.

:dance:

Clydey
08-14-2009, 06:43 PM
For some reason? Davydenko abhors slice.

Not all the time. He sometimes eats up Murray's slice, like at TMC and Dubai 2008. Davy practically gets down on his knees to hit it. It doesn't usually bother him as much as it did today.

Jimnik
08-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Murray is the best at getting his opponents out of their comfort zone. Davydenko didn't come close to finding a rhythm.

MacTheKnife
Painful to watch. The energy in the stadium.. :lol:

TMJordan
Another Cash for Clunkers winner.

You are thinking of the Djokovic vs. Roddick match, no?

River
08-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Murray just blinked and it was over. I don't think he did anything.

Just another breakdown by Davy. He's gotta get his act together pronto.

Byrd
Bit of a yawn fest at times, but anywayz congrats William.

Black Adam
Davydenko is such a limited mug against top players. Pathetic, he should stick to betting and fixing matches.

CescAndyKimi

You have no Tennis knowledge. End your misery.

Black Adam
08-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Did Roddick murder someone in your family? Obssessed freak.

GlennMirnyi
08-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Not all the time. He sometimes eats up Murray's slice, like at TMC and Dubai 2008. Davy practically gets down on his knees to hit it. It doesn't usually bother him as much as it did today.

Yes, all the time.

Everybody who hits a decent slice plays well against Davydenko.

tangerine_dream
08-14-2009, 06:47 PM
No. It was definitely intended for the junkball masterclass we saw today from the Muzz.

Corey Feldman
i hope TheBoiledEgg enjoyed that one

Clydey
I don't think so Clydey, a lot of people were predicting for Davydenko to challenge Murray for this match, I'm certainly not a fan of Murray - but he beat Davydenko playing no-where near his best.

Will probably beat Federer by playing like this (just pushing the ball back deep).

Murray won't play like that against Fed. He won't be slicing anywhere near as much. He dominates Fed in the backhand exchanges.

rubbERR
08-14-2009, 06:49 PM
He only has about 7 losses for the whole year.

i know but he should lose more matches,more and more he wins im getting convinced that this is extremely weak era

habibko
08-14-2009, 06:49 PM
He did it after he beat Chardy, too. I think it was for his team. They play games and the loser has to do a forfeit. I think that might be why he did it.

I see, thanks! after he did that I kept waiting for him to do something like a worm dance or that Tsonga "look at me" thing, I had a mental image of something like this, fitting for the Tradesman..

SlxJN7HKKR8

Arkulari
08-14-2009, 06:50 PM
No one left in the draw can challenge Muzza right now :sad:
Rafa is going to lose the #2 spot :sad: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Gaudio2004
Murray won't play like that against Fed. He won't be slicing anywhere near as much. He dominates Fed in the backhand exchanges.

Again I am pushing it here as I enjoy watching Federer play and do not enjoy Murray play - but even if Murray slices to Fed's BH (which can holds slice well), he'll still be able to push the ball back time after time again and eventually Federer will make an error.

However, Federer was dominating most of the backhand exchanges yesterday with Wawrinka, even hitting the ball with power with his BH at times, will be interesting if he does it against Murray, he did it at the Masters Cup last year but he still lost.

Do you think Murray will beat Nadal (assuming he reaches the final) if he knocks out Fed? I was very surprised when he beat Murray 6-1 6-2 on a hard-court this year, very surprised.

TMJordan

:banana::banana::banana:

CescAndyKimi
08-14-2009, 06:51 PM
I see, thanks! after he did that I kept waiting for him to do something like a worm dance or that Tsonga "look at me" thing, I had a mental image of something like this, fitting for the Tradesman..

SlxJN7HKKR8

Fail.

CescAndyKimi
08-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Again I am pushing it here as I enjoy watching Federer play and do not enjoy Murray play - but even if Murray slices to Fed's BH (which can holds slice well), he'll still be able to push the ball back time after time again and eventually Federer will make an error.

However, Federer was dominating most of the backhand exchanges yesterday with Wawrinka, even hitting the ball with power with his BH at times, will be interesting if he does it against Murray, he did it at the Masters Cup last year but he still lost.

Do you think Murray will beat Nadal (assuming he reaches the final) if he knocks out Fed? I was very surprised when he beat Murray 6-1 6-2 on a hard-court this year, very surprised.

Andy failed massively at handling the tricky and windy conditions. Not too surprising, I expect he's learnt from that.

scoobs
08-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Workmanlike from Murray rather than brilliant - never quite played well enough to domiante Davydenko, who was pretty atrocious today, but played well enough to get past him nonetheless.

Guga_fan
There's Del Potro (small chance) and Tsonga (if he is on), but unless Tsonga is the one to beat Murray, Nadal is losing his spot.

GlennMirnyi

SlxJN7HKKR8

Why this video of an alumnus of Stepanek's royal arts college?

scoobs
Andy failed massively at handling the tricky and windy conditions. Not too surprising, I expect he's learnt from that.
That was the worst match for wind I think I have ever seen anyway.

straitup
08-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Well that was a bit of a bummer...didn't think Murray was going to have an easy match but Davydenko was a UE machine today

Voo de Mar
08-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Poor quality match, Murray didn't even play a single classic volley :o
They have played 9 matches, actually all the same, it's only a matter of Denko's groundstroke game, when he has bad day like today, is chanceless against Murray.

For the first time Top 8 players in the world advanced to the quartefinalas, special ocasion so I thought I'd make the same stats as I had done earlier this year in Miami...

Murray def. Davydenko 6-2 6-4

1 set (38 minutes)

1:0 Murray (1D), 1:1 Davydenko (1D)
2:1 Murray (1D - 1 bp), 3:1 Davydenko (1D)
3:2 Murray (30), 4:2 Davydenko (15)
5:2 Murray (15), 6-2 Davydenko (15)

2 set (43 minutes)

1:0 Murray (1D), 1:1 Davydenko (1D)
2:1 Murray (15), 2:2 Davydenko (30)
3:2 Murray (30), 3:3 Davydenko (15)
4:3 Murray (15), 4:4 Davydenko (15)
5:4 Murray (15), 6-4 Davydenko (15)

SERVICE POINTS (including aces/service winners/unreturned):
Murray - 23; Davydenko - 9

WINNERS:
- forehand: Murray - 4 ; Davydenko - 2
- backhand: Murray - 3 ; Davydenko - 7
- volley: Murray - 0 ; Davydenko - 2
- smash: Murray - 0 ; Davydenko - 3
- lob: Murray - 0 ; Davydenko - 0
- dropshot: Murray - 0 ; Davydenko - 0

ERRORS:
- forehand: Murray - 9 ; Davydenko - 17
- backhand: Murray - 12 ; Davydenko - 13
- volley/smash: Murray - 0 ; Davydenko - 3
- lob: Murray - 1 ; Davydenko - 0
- double faults: Murray - 2 ; Davydenko - 2

BREAK POINTS:
Murray 4/4 ; Davydenko 1/3 (2 games)

Challenges: Murray 0/1 ; Davydenko 0/1

CescAndyKimi
08-14-2009, 06:57 PM
That was the worst match for wind I think I have ever seen anyway.

Same, the ball was moving all over the place. Favour Nadal's massive top spin, as it was definitely safer.

Andi-M
08-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Murray and Davy bring worst out of each other I think esp in their last 2 meetings :eek: Not bothered by Murrays pushing today it was a clear tactic and it worked, difference is now compared to even a year ago is that Muzza's 1st serve is a weapon he can rely on, and can pretty much hold serve all the time so Davy just frustrated and lost really.

Clydey
08-14-2009, 07:01 PM

Firstly, I'm not convinced Murray will beat Federer. It's hardly something you'd bet your house on. Secondly, I doubt Rafa will get to the final. If they do end up meeting, I'd always favour Murray on hardcourt now. That match in IW was played in 40mph winds. It was basically a pushing match, to see who could keep the ball in play the longest. You're not going to beat Rafa while playing that game. Apparently the conditions are pretty fast in Montreal, too. If it was slower, Rafa would have a better chance. He excels on slow hardcourts.

Gaudio2004
08-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Firstly, I'm not convinced Murray will beat Federer. It's hardly something you'd bet your house on. Secondly, I doubt Rafa will get to the final. If they do end up meeting, I'd always favour Murray on hardcourt now. That match in IW was played in 40mph winds. It was basically a pushing match, to see who could keep the ball in play the longest. You're not going to beat Rafa while playing that game. Apparently the conditions are pretty fast in Montreal, too. If it was slower, Rafa would have a better chance. He excels on slow hardcourts.

Providing Fed does beat Tsonga and if he tries 100% against Murray, you would pick Federer? He's not the same player he was at Masters, he doesn't take them too seriously now.

Here's someone who actually understands tennis, unlike some of the other Scottish posters. :wavey:

BlueSwan
08-14-2009, 07:09 PM
There's Del Potro (small chance) and Tsonga (if he is on), but unless Tsonga is the one to beat Murray, Nadal is losing his spot.
Nonsense, Nadal can't lose his #2 ranking at this tournament.

Gaudio2004
08-14-2009, 07:11 PM

If Murray wins Montreal (this tournament), regardless of how well Rafa does, Murray will be #2.

GlennMirnyi
08-14-2009, 07:13 PM

Of course he can.

:lol:

Not only he can, but he will.

BlueSwan
08-14-2009, 07:15 PM
If Murray wins Montreal (this tournament), regardless of how well Rafa does, Murray will be #2.
Sorry. Forgot about the Olympics dropping off. I was focusing on the fact that the Canada AMS results from last year dropped off several weeks ago.

Gaudio2004
08-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Sorry. Forgot about the Olympics dropping off. I was focusing on the fact that the Canada AMS results from last year dropped off several weeks ago.

Eh don't apologise it's okay, I didn't know Murray would be #2 if he wins Montreal until Judio posted in the ATP Rankings thread.

Take it you are a fan of Nadal?

Clydey
08-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Providing Fed does beat Tsonga and if he tries 100% against Murray, you would pick Federer? He's not the same player he was at Masters, he doesn't take them too seriously now.

Here's someone who actually understands tennis, unlike some of the other Scottish posters. :wavey:

It's not that I'd pick him to beat Murray. I'm just 50/50 on that matchup, since I find it hard to believe that Murray will extend his record to 7-2 over Federer.

I also think Federer still tries in the MS events. He just went through a bad slump in 2008 and early 2009. We saw how much he cares when he played Nole in Miami. The other thing is that it's a lot easier to win 2 sets against Fed than it is to win 3. Even in the majors, we still see Federer losing 2 sets to people.

Deivid23
08-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Davydenko is such a limited mug against top players. Pathetic, he should stick to betting and fixing matches.

i hope TheBoiledEgg enjoyed that one

:handshake:

ArgieFan
08-14-2009, 08:09 PM
What a terrible player Davydenko is. Congrats Muzza!!!

fast_clay
08-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Flashes of brilliance from Murray but still not even close to his best, it goes to show he can win so easily without playing at the top of his game. He will be at the top of his game against Federer.

Tradesman like.

yes, Murray packed a Friday toolbag when it turns out only Tuesday's kit was required...

Incorrect... #2 is possible... in his time moonlighting as a plasterer, The Tradesman learnt that there was no ceiling he could not reset if he should only choose to...

Clydey
08-14-2009, 08:22 PM
yes, Murray packed a Friday toolbag when it turns out only Tuesday's kit was required...

Incorrect... #2 is possible... in his time moonlighting as a plasterer, The Tradesman learnt that there was no ceiling he could not reset if he should only choose to...

If it's the last thing I do, I'm going to get Sky to refer to Murray as The Tradesman. They haven't taken the bait yet. Soon, though.

selyoink
08-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Terrible performance from Davy losing to this pusher Murray.

Pixie
08-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Everybody who hits a decent slice plays well against Davydenko.

Santoro wouldn't exactly concur.

stzenit
08-14-2009, 10:37 PM
its ok, they will meet in the U.S Open where Davydenko will get his revenge

amonb
08-14-2009, 11:29 PM
i know but he should lose more matches,more and more he wins im getting convinced that this is extremely weak eraYou're like a broken record!!!

This is Sparta
08-14-2009, 11:44 PM
In matches like these I understand why Mugray doesn't have many fans :lol:

amonb
08-14-2009, 11:46 PM
In matches like these I understand why Mugray doesn't have many fans :lol:

:zzz:

ChinoRios4Ever
08-15-2009, 12:48 AM
expected :zzz:

freeandlonely
08-15-2009, 01:05 AM
routine, boring

rocketassist
08-15-2009, 01:16 AM
These two bring out the worst in each other. I wouldn't recommend watching their contests. :lol:

Murray's 7-6 6-4 win in IW 2007 was the only time I can recall both players playing decent tennis.

iSzavay.
08-15-2009, 01:48 AM
:woohoo: good job Andy :banana:.

Kolya
08-15-2009, 05:00 AM
Were the conditions windy?

Calidreth
08-15-2009, 05:05 AM
Murray looked pretty good, but Davydenko was abysmal.

ballbasher101
08-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Murray's variety was too much for the Russian or is it Ukraine these days.

roberthenman
08-15-2009, 07:10 AM
solid Andy :worship:
run to the MS titles :wavey:

McAlistar
08-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Andy played ok, his forehand was pretty average thought. Only stepped in a couple of times but he didnt have to do to much. Davydenko hit soooo many daft shots though

Harmless
08-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Good win for the puxador. :rolleyes: :(

I can't believe he's breaking up the Fedal panoramics, I guess it's all over now. :bigcry:

scoobs
08-15-2009, 12:15 PM
These two bring out the worst in each other. I wouldn't recommend watching their contests. :lol:

Murray's 7-6 6-4 win in IW 2007 was the only time I can recall both players playing decent tennis.
It's true - to an extent they neutralise each other and their contests are often decided on errors - Davydenko plays aggressively without managing to hit loads of winners so when he plays well he tends to get errors from Murray by running him ragged. When Davydenko doesn't play well he sprays the ball everywhere from Murray's changes of pace and spin.

It's not a matchup I enjoy.