"Tursunov is hurt, may miss Open" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

"Tursunov is hurt, may miss Open"

mad1town
08-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Tennis Roundup: Tursunov is hurt, may miss Open
Bee Sports Staff
Published 2:15 am PDT Sunday, August 29, 2004
It's not too late to get into a Fantasy Sports League. Sign up here.

COMMACK, N.Y. - This week, Dmitry Tursunov has gone from missing the Capitals' playoffs to reaching his first ATP Tour semifinal to being injured.
Friday, the Capitals ended their World TeamTennis season without him in the league's semifinals, losing 20-12 to the Newport Beach Breakers at Flushing Meadows in New York.

Tursunov, of Roseville, won a quarterfinal match at the TD Waterhouse Cup that day, but back on Long Island on Saturday, he hurt his back and retired from his semifinal match against Lleyton Hewitt, losing 6-3, 1-0.
Tursunov's injury throws his appearance at the U.S. Open in doubt. He was scheduled to play Argentina's Mariano Zabaleta in the first round Monday, although the match might be rescheduled for Tuesday to accommodate the injury.

"I might have to pull out," Tursunov said by phone. "I'm not sure if I would have been able to finish against Hewitt."

Tursunov, who has suffered from back problems several times in his career, is scheduled for CAT scans today.

He also said he retired against Hewitt in an attempt to save his U.S. Open berth, and because he didn't want to risk further injury.

"I don't think I could have won one way or another," Tursunov said.

Hewitt will play Peru's Luis Horna, who defeated Thailand's Paradorn Srichaphan 1-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5).

TOP100
08-30-2004, 04:52 PM
This is extremely interesting,thanks for posting it.

I'll tell you why......Glenn Weiner the next alternate into the Main Draw is my nephew,and he's on standby at the Open.

Not that I wish any bad things for Tursunov,but I'm on edge waiting for him to make a final decision.
The question is can he play 5 sets with that back injury.?
Will one extra day allow the injury to improve enough for him to play.?

We'll just have to wait and see.