Montreal R3: Federer beats Wawrinka 6-3 7-6(5) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Montreal R3: Federer beats Wawrinka 6-3 7-6(5)

LinkMage
08-14-2009, 01:54 AM
Horrible match. What a mug performance from Fed, looked like he wanted to gift the TB to Wawa.

Good thing Wawrinka is a clown of the highest order.

I wanted to see Fed vs. Simon next round. :(

Gaudio2004
08-14-2009, 01:55 AM
Fed just the more consistent on the day, at times his serving was just pure clutch.

Deivid23
08-14-2009, 01:56 AM
:lol: at Wawrinka´s second set. He found uncountable ways to blow his chances

Jaz
08-14-2009, 01:56 AM
Poor play by both. Mugs game this one..

Clydey
08-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Stan is a joke. He's just a complete mental midget.

How many chances did he need to win that second set? He just kept donating games to Federer, even though he was up 0-30 and 15-30 on multiple occasions and was getting so many looks at second serves. Best single-hander in the world? My fucking arse.

Henry Chinaski
wawrinka is a mental midget of the highest order. he can only play well when behind against the better players. when it comes to the crunch he disappears into his shell

Clydey
:lol: at Wawrinka´s second set. He found uncountable ways to blow his chances

Tell me about it. Federer's gonna send his cheque in the mail. How many errors did he commit off of routine strokes to hand Federer games he had no right winning?

HeretiC
08-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Well, you can't win if you don't believe you can win, whenever Wawrinka came into position to have a chance he froze and his hands became wooden.

Corey Feldman
08-14-2009, 01:58 AM
i have a feeling Tsonga will finish the job tomorrow on this Fed

straitup
08-14-2009, 01:59 AM
Oh dear that was a frustrating match to watch via scoreboard :eek:

For a slight minute there I thought Stan was going to come back and have a chance to win the match after he went from 2-6 to 5-6 in the 2nd set TB. But then he had a second serve and pretty much assumed Federer would win

habibko
great match, Stan played great but Fed won all the important points, so much clean hitting, depth and some unbelievable rallies, JesusFed point all the way to set up the break back in the 2nd set, almost allowed Wawrinka back in the TB but that forehand squash shot finally got Wawa at the net :banana:

as I heard, this is the first time in history the top 8 make the QF of a tennis tournament!!!

Stan is a joke. He's just a complete mental midget.

How many chances did he need to win that second set? He just kept donating games to Federer, even though he was up 0-30 and 15-30 on multiple occasions and was getting so many looks at second serves. Best single-hander in the world? My fucking arse.

yep, see the truth for what it is, Fed has the best single-hander :worship:

I had to have it :lol:

bokehlicious
Thank you Stani boy :)

vamosinator
wawrinka is a mental midget of the highest order. he can only play well when behind against the better players. when it comes to the crunch he disappears into his shell

Federer v Wawrinka = Nadal v Federer.

Haelfix
08-14-2009, 02:00 AM
A little sloppy. Fed looked good in the first set (not excellent, but good), but then there was that one service game that was atrocious.

His net game (which was perfect in the first set) cost him a lot of important points in the second, as did his slice backhand. Pretty massive shanks off easy balls there. Amusingly his topspin backhand was more solid and consistent than the slice for awhile there.

Wawrinka was ok, but he also was missing too many easy ones.

MIMIC
Stan seemed to only play well when he was down. Once the match was leveled (or if he was in the lead), he looked pretty clueless.

Exhibit A: 2nd set tiebreak. Stan came back from 2-6 down and dominated with his backhand. Once he was at 5-6 on his serve, what did he do? Dump a tricky shot into the net to lose the match.

Corey Feldman
top8 seeds make Qf

Dini
08-14-2009, 02:01 AM
Well anyway. Sweet revenge - that's what matters.

That 0-40 game after Fed had broken back was crucial I thought.

Fed Express
08-14-2009, 02:02 AM
Great match, Federer making some BRILLIANT points. Some shaky ones as well. Especially the one game he got broken. His net game was a little bit off today (2nd set only). But good performance overall. Well done!

rocketassist
08-14-2009, 02:02 AM
Fed's been substandard for three months or so and it's such a strong, strong era, that he's been able to win every event in that time. :haha:

Arkulari
08-14-2009, 02:03 AM
Roger didn't play his best match but got the job done, I'm very worried about the Tsonga match tomorrow :unsure:

Action Jackson
Quality second set from Stani, now he can go and hang out in Quartier Latin.

FedFan_2007
Oh well 21 in a row :worship:

Ciarán.
She's not given birth yet, has she? :p

It doesn't matter. By all means congratulate them before or after the match. During is ridiculous.

Voo de Mar
08-14-2009, 02:04 AM
Wawrinka was pathetically passive being two points away from set in 10th and 12th game :o I'm tired of all those Federer's tie-breaks. There are no players who would hurt him in the tie-break at the moment. Everything is so predictible :o

Fed Express
08-14-2009, 02:05 AM
http://i25.tinypic.com/31294ap.jpg

Nice hommage.

Should have done it before the match though, but still nice.

Henry Chinaski
as I heard, this is the first time in history the top 8 make the QF of a tennis tournament!!!

ehhhh........doubtful

takes the shine off it somewhat by the 8 twats getting first round byes anyway

Sunset of Age
Mediocre performance from both. Still Feds managed to come through. Not very convincingly though.

He'll surely have to up his level against Tsonga, which I think he will be able to.

Congrats Feddie :hatoff:, well done Wawa :hug:.

Dini
08-14-2009, 02:06 AM
It doesn't matter. By all means congratulate them before or after the match. During is ridiculous.

I fully agree.

scoobs
A few little bits here and there for Federer to look at, but all in all it was a solid enough performance and about where he needed to be at this stage in the tournament.

Sunset of Age

Nice hommage.

Nice gesture, but I thought it a mite embarrassing to be honest. As you say, should have been done BEFORE the match, if anything.

It just caught both players off their guards me thinks. Wrong Timing.

Clydey

Nice hommage.

Bang out of order, if you ask me. Stan was gutted. He was sitting there wondering, "Where's the love?"

Dini
08-14-2009, 02:07 AM
Does anyone have the winner to UE ratios for both?

Swiss Mountain
08-14-2009, 02:09 AM
I cannot beleive the draw!

top 8 players! what a treat!

Congrats Roger!some priceless shots!
Poor Stan though, but that's the game, handle it like a man

Corey Feldman
08-14-2009, 02:09 AM
that congrats Roger & Mirka was brilliant, Stan lost it for 10 minutes straight after

had to be a Fed suggestion to tourney officials

Arkulari
08-14-2009, 02:14 AM

Nice hommage.

Agree with you, before or after the match, not during :yeah:

abraxas21
08-14-2009, 02:16 AM

give me a break. the fans made a huge effort to do their giant sign and while they certainly chose a bad timing to show it, federer did nothing wrong in waving them or contratulate them or whatever it is that he did during the change over. what was he supposed to do according to you? ignore his fans' gesture and act like nothing happens even though the whole stadium was eagerly wainting for a reaction?

Gaudio2004
08-14-2009, 02:22 AM
Feds BH > Stans BH. FACT.

LaneLS88
08-14-2009, 02:24 AM
Muggy match? Hmm, I don't think so. Just in Montreal on Tuesday for the Cup, and while it was warm, not quite muggy. :)

Gotta love the hypercritical comments as usual. Huge surprise. Saw the second set, and it was quite a dramatic and at times very high quality, especially on serve from both guys. It's too bad Federer brings out the worst in Wawrinka, though. Federer gets Wawrinka out of position in the baseline rallies and does a good job of keeping the ball in play, allowing Wawrinka to get increasingly tentative and eventually the error is drawn out of him.

Did well to offset the huge gap in the tiebreak, but just couldn't follow through in the end.

habibko
08-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Muggy match? Hmm, I don't think so. Just in Montreal on Tuesday for the Cup, and while it was warm, not quite muggy. :)

Gotta love the hypercritical comments as usual. Huge surprise. Saw the second set, and it was quite a dramatic and at times very high quality, especially on serve from both guys. It's too bad Federer brings out the worst in Wawrinka, though. Federer gets Wawrinka out of position in the baseline rallies and does a good job of keeping the ball in play, allowing Wawrinka to get increasingly tentative and eventually the error is drawn out of him.

Did well to offset the huge gap in the tiebreak, but just couldn't follow through in the end.

welcome to GM, you will enjoy your stay :yeah: maybe...

DJ Soup
08-14-2009, 02:33 AM
Roger played much much better than the other day. A good thing.

Andi-M
08-14-2009, 02:33 AM
Wawa was very generous this whole match, yet Fed didnt even hug him at the end.

Sunset of Age
08-14-2009, 02:34 AM
Roger played much much better than the other day. A good thing.

He HAD to. A good thing, indeed, as muggy defensive play won't get him far in this tounament.

Dini
08-14-2009, 02:36 AM
Wawa was very generous this whole match, yet Fed didnt even hug him at the end.

I think you've confused Fed with Nole. :lol: :p

Fed has given him plenty of hugs previously, trust me.

GlennMirnyi
08-14-2009, 02:37 AM
If Wawrinka missed more chances than Gavrilo Princip.

Gaudio2004
08-14-2009, 02:38 AM
Interesting to see Federer's last 3 matches have been labelled as "muggy", yet he has won all 3!

MTF just so jealous of Federer, it never used to be like this in 2005, when he was so dominative that he just killed every single player on the court, even MTF arse-licked Fed back then.

Arkulari
08-14-2009, 02:44 AM
I think you've confused Fed with Nole. :lol: :p

Fed has given him plenty of hugs previously, trust me.

oh yeah :devil:

http://www.elpais.com/recorte/20080816elpepudep_53/LCO340/Ies/Federer_Wawrinka_celebran_medalla_oro.jpg

http://www.elimparcial.es/reportajes/Olimpiadas/pekin2efe222.jpg

:hearts: :hearts:

magnoliaewan
08-14-2009, 02:44 AM
Federer's serve was atrocious in this match but at least he got some good baseline practice. Congrats on grinding it out Federer! Both made some unfortunate errors but played alright overall. Good luck to Feds against Tsonga!

LinkMage
08-14-2009, 02:45 AM
i have a feeling Tsonga will finish the job tomorrow on this Fed

Hopefully not, I want to double my vcash when the Hard court God dismantles Fedmug in the semis. ;)

ehhhh........doubtful

takes the shine off it somewhat by the 8 twats getting first round byes anyway

Yes, it's a disgrace the top 8 seeds get 1st round byes.

These are Masters events FFS. They need to go back to 64 player draws ASAP.

Dini
08-14-2009, 02:47 AM
And 5 sets in finals too. :p

I've already forgotten the best points of the match, but I remember that Fed backhand down the line winner that "licked the line" (:lol:) after a long rally. That one was pretty nice.

Ciarán.
08-14-2009, 02:49 AM
give me a break. the fans made a huge effort to do their giant sign and while they certainly chose a bad timing to show it, federer did nothing wrong in waving them or contratulate them or whatever it is that he did during the change over. what was he supposed to do according to you? ignore his fans' gesture and act like nothing happens even though the whole stadium was eagerly wainting for a reaction?

I highly doubt it was the fans idea by any means. Upon entrance to the stadium they were probably asked did they mind holding the sign, to which they obliged.

whattheheck
08-14-2009, 02:50 AM
Silly Stan

Allez_Roger!
08-14-2009, 03:11 AM
Hopp Rogi! :bigclap::bigclap:

Bye bye Tsonga, your stay should end today:angel:

Arkulari
08-14-2009, 03:13 AM
the 5 set finals should be back :sad:

chenx15
08-14-2009, 03:17 AM
i think roger does it on purpose. for training reasons. then again what do i know

iSzavay.
08-14-2009, 03:29 AM
Stan :sad: nice try :(.

straitup
08-14-2009, 03:35 AM

I agree :(

Of course these summer hard court tournaments didn't have 5 set finals, did they? But some of the Masters Series finals from 2006 and before were excellent.

orangehat
08-14-2009, 03:39 AM
Good start to the USO Series for Stan anyway. He always takes his time to adapt to a new surface (from clay) :o. Better luck (in terms of draw) and better play in Cincy!

alfonsojose
08-14-2009, 03:44 AM
Some flashes of JesusFed :yeah:

RagingLamb
08-14-2009, 03:48 AM
Mediocre display from both players. One just happened to be a bit more mediocre than the other.

MacTheKnife
08-14-2009, 03:52 AM
I thought they both played well at times, the problem was, it wasn't at the same times. They also both sucked at times which resulted in a very inconsistent match. Federer will need to take it up a notch or two from here.

habibko
08-14-2009, 03:58 AM
I thought they both played well at times, the problem was, it wasn't at the same times. They also both sucked at times which resulted in a very inconsistent match. Federer will need to take it up a notch or two from here.

on serve, Fed only played one bad game when he got broken, otherwise he was very solid on serve and either held easily or fended the break points and won the important points convincingly.

he struggled with his backhand slice and feel on his volleys for a little while in the second set when on Stan's serve, that's all really, for a guy who is playing his second match since 5 weeks, he played pretty darn good!

Allez_Roger!
08-14-2009, 04:01 AM

Amen.

It is unbelievable that even the Master's Cup (yeah, WTF now) finals are best of tree TB sets now:mad:

Billabong
08-14-2009, 04:42 AM
I was at the match, just next to the "Felicitations Roger and Mirka", just an awesome atmosphere, it was sooooo hot and Fed certainly looked sweaty out there, I'm soo glad I had the chance to assist finally to some of his magical shots, he was quite solid but not at his best, esecially his first serve % in the second set was quite poor, he almost lost his tiebreak lead as well... But he was quite solid from the back of the court, I enjoyed that one very much:D I also had the chance to stand a few meters next to him, took a few close-ups pics, I'm really satisfied with my night in Montreal:D

Mimi
08-14-2009, 04:45 AM
are Mirka and the twin babies with him? no right coz seems not too good for such small babies to travel?:confused:

Guy Haines
08-14-2009, 04:47 AM
are Mirka and the twin babies with him? no right coz seems not too good for such small babies to travel?:confused:

Careful what you say Mimi...

Serenidad
08-14-2009, 04:47 AM
Wawrinka was too happy Federer and him are expecting their 3rd child together. Expected.

Sunset of Age
08-14-2009, 04:49 AM

It's been reported that he took his family across the Atlantic in a private jet to Montreal, yes, after having inquired that it would do no harm to Mirka and/or the kids whatsoever. So they are there, but obviously NOT at the matches, of course. :)

Mimi
08-14-2009, 04:55 AM
It's been reported that he took his family across the Atlantic in a private jet to Montreal, yes, after having inquired that it would do no harm to Mirka and/or the kids whatsoever. So they are there, but obviously NOT at the matches, of course. :)
thanks, Karin, i was curious, how foolish i was, yes its all right for them to come along with him, but not too good to attend his matches, coz the spectators would scare the babies :wavey:

Mimi
08-14-2009, 04:56 AM
Careful what you say Mimi...
why? i have no bad intention, i just want to see them if they are with him, i like watching lovely babies :angel:

Sunset of Age
08-14-2009, 04:58 AM
thanks, Karin, i was curious, how foolish i was, yes its all right for them to come along with him, but not too good to attend his matches, coz the spectators would scare the babies :wavey:

Well, I'd say, the babies would scare the spectators! :lol:

Guy Haines
08-14-2009, 04:59 AM
why? i have no bad intention, i just want to see them if they are with him, i like watching lovely babies :angel:

It inspired one of the more lunatic stretches of recent MTF banter. But I think some people were banned in the aftermath.

Sunset of Age
08-14-2009, 05:00 AM
It inspired one of the more lunatic stretches of recent MTF banter. But I think some people were banned in the aftermath.

Be kind to mimi, eh? :( ;)

Mimi
08-14-2009, 05:02 AM
Well, I'd say, the babies would scare the spectators! :lol:

:lol: i think roger's opponents would like to see his babies on court, coz in case they cry for milk etc, roger may lose his concentration, helping his opponents to win :lol:, I wanna see him posing with his babies on court like Lindsay when she won, very warm for me :inlove:

Sunset of Age
08-14-2009, 05:11 AM
:lol: i think roger's opponents would like to see his babies on court, coz in case they cry for milk etc, roger may lose his concentration, helping his opponents to win :lol:, I wanna see him posing with his babies on court like Lindsay when she won, very warm for me :inlove:

Haha.
Frederic Niemeyer said before his 2nd round match that he hoped that Roger would be disturbed by his crying babies to give himself more of a chance in that match... :lol:

Roger's girls are way too young to be exposed to the public right now, but I bet he will show them in a couple of month's time, proud daddy as he is. :D

tealeaves
08-14-2009, 06:50 AM
Fed:)
win it all:)

HattonWBA
08-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Nice good win for Roger have not seen the match yet but Skysports are showing highlights at 4.

Federerhingis
08-14-2009, 08:45 AM

More like they're too sensitive for sun exposure and pollutants. Their immune systems won't be fully or semi on track until they turn 6 months old. ;)

Deivid23
08-14-2009, 06:48 PM
great match, Stan played great but Fed won all the important points, so much clean hitting, depth and some unbelievable rallies, JesusFed point all the way to set up the break back in the 2nd set, almost allowed Wawrinka back in the TB but that forehand squash shot finally got Wawa at the net :banana:

yep, see the truth for what it is, Fed has the best single-hander :worship:

I had to have it :lol:

What a load of BS :lol:

CescAndyKimi
08-14-2009, 07:23 PM
The fellatio performed on this **** Federer by the world is nothing short of retch inducingly shameful. Like any day to day individual gives a toss about fat mirka and her goblins.